Wednesday, August 24, 2011

… out with the new: Brock Berglund done for fall

Freshman quarterback Brock Berglund works out with the quarterbacks during the team's first practice on Thursday, Aug. 4, 2011.

The Brock Berglund Watch officially can be called off.

Kansas University football coach Turner Gill announced Tuesday that Berglund, a freshman quarterback from Highlands Ranch, Colo., who has been dealing with legal issues since April, would not practice with the Jayhawks this fall but would remain a member of the team.

Berglund will red-shirt the 2011 season and, according to Gill’s release, report to spring drills in 2012 with four years of eligibility remaining.

“He’s still enrolled,” Gill said. “We just decided it would be in his best interest to take care of his legal issues and kind of remove football at this point in time and then come in in the spring.”

Asked after Tuesday’s practice whether Berglund or Gill played a bigger role in making this decision, Gill pointed to a team effort.

“I would say a little bit more myself,” Gill said. “But we all discussed it, myself and his parents, and just thought that this was the best thing for him to do.”

The news on Berglund comes four days after Gill announced sophomore QB Jordan Webb as the team’s starter and 11 days before the season opener against McNeese State. The reality of it all is that the decision will have very little effect on the team. After missing all of spring practice, despite graduating high school early and enrolling at KU last December, Berglund missed most of summer workouts and nearly all of fall camp because of obligations relating to the third-degree assault charge he’s facing in Colorado.

Berglund has pled not guilty to the charge and, through a statement from his lawyer, has repeatedly denied the accusations against him. With his trial date set for mid-December, it was conceivable Berglund could work through the season and not miss much time. However, after reporting to the first day of preseason camp on Aug. 3, Berglund was required to return to Colorado and has remained there for most of the days since.

Sands dismissed

In other roster news Tuesday, Gill announced that due to a violation of team policies, sophomore running back Deshaun Sands had been removed from the team effective immediately.

Sands played in 10 games as a red-shirt freshman in 2010, gaining 211 yards on 55 carries, with one touchdown. He picked up Offensive Scout Team Player of the Year honors in 2009, while sitting out the season as a red-shirt.

Sands was arrested Saturday night on an outstanding warrant for missing a June court date related to an April misdemeanor disturbing-the-peace citation. He posted $203 cash bond shortly after his arrest and was given notice to appear in Lawrence Municipal Court Aug. 30.

Comments

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 12 months ago

With the loss of BB, Ford, and Smith the great recruiters first class is sinking like a stone! And our heisman level qb head coach and offensive coordinator were only able to bring in one qb that spent the majority of his senior year on the bench with an injury.

Recruit Recruit Replace Turner

jayhawkdon 2 years, 12 months ago

More ridiculous crap from ahperhole. What a debbiedowner. Nothing is ever good enough. It should be for DUKE/NC/UCLA/UCONN/ in basketball, ALA/USC/AUBURN/OU/UT/ in football, or whoever is the top program in any sport. Go away ahperhole.

Patrick Leiker 2 years, 12 months ago

Name any recruiting class in the country with twenty or more players where all make it to campus and through camp. You always lose some. All of Mangino's classes had two or three players that didn't show up for camp. Berglund isn't lost yet. He wasn't going to compete for the job anyway after missing most of the spring and summer.

mjhawkchalk 2 years, 12 months ago

You're so right, ahpersecoachingexperience. Blame Turner Gill for offering a scholarship to a recruit before he tore his ACL half way through his senior season. Who's all aboard on bringing back the fat man as our coach?

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 12 months ago

And what an eye for talent gill has. Sneaking him away from Tulsa and La Tech! What a recruiter!

mjhawkchalk 2 years, 12 months ago

Lets not forget about the other BCS schools that had shown interest in Cummings. What about Berglund? He had offers from programs like Boise State, Utah, and UCLA among with other programs. But at the end of the day he signed with KU. Thanks for posting though, ahpersecoachingexperience.

Ryan Sullivan 2 years, 12 months ago

Funhawk 2 years, 12 months ago

Eventually, some of us will be eating crow. It may not be Tom, so here is a recipe for Fried Crow. It can either fry on the bone or I can filet the meat. To tenderize the meat we need to cook in a pressure cooker for 15 minutes at 10 pounds, or boil in water with a tablespoon of salt until tender to being stuck with a fork. Remove the crow breast or filets from the pressure cooker or boiling pot. Flour and shallow fry in a pan until golden brown. The crow filets are great fun to pass off to your friends as chicken gizzards.

KCHawk81 2 years, 12 months ago

Ahper, you make a semi-humorous statement every now and then, but this one baffles me. I don't recall your being excited about any of those three to begin with. All three remain committed to the program, albeit with delayed timelines. Maybe you're using sarcasm font?

Honestly, it's a shame so much attention has been focused on Berglund, who had almost zero chance of contributing in 2011 once he left Kansas in early spring (before the assault). I hope he gets everything worked out. I love that people are talking about this team, but talk about the guys who are here. Kansas has everything at quarterback it did not have last year: two known commodities, a clear-cut starter, competition for the back-up spot, a very talented (and very motivated) freshman who ought to see the field this year, and two talented recruits committed for the following year. Appreciate what you have, Jayhawks. And run...the...ball.

At least we're not talking about Zack Stoudt (who?) anymore. Remember, the guy who was going to be our savior until Berglund was going to be our savior? Last time I checked, he was two spots back on the Ole Miss depth chart, behind a JuCo sophomore and another JuCo junior.

blackhawkjayhawk 2 years, 12 months ago

I remember another ballyhooed freshman coming into Lawrence and starting for the number one ranked team in the country against a lowly KU team. KU won. I watched it with about 20,000 other KU fans and about 15,000 fans from the opponent.

The point being - freshman quarterbacks are rarely in the mix for playing time. The jump from high school to college for quarterbacks is one of the biggest adjusments in all sports. Berglund wouldn't have seen the field except for mop-up duty at best. He needs to get his house in order and come back next year to try and compete.

KUdos to Gill for keeping his house in order. Let's at least get that right.

(The qb I mentioned above was a 17-year old phenom playing for OU)

53jayhawk 2 years, 12 months ago

I was at that 1984 KU-OU game, but I believe OU was ranked #2, not #1.

blackhawkjayhawk 2 years, 12 months ago

You are correct. My old stories aren't nearly as effective when I have to be accurate! I could have sworn they were ranked first at the time......

Kevin Studer 2 years, 12 months ago

While I am not a big fan of Mr. Keegan, some posters in here sure do have to concede many points he made about Berglund. At the very least, less vitriol toward his commentary in the future may be in order. My guess is none of the most critical commenters here will write anything about how much they wrongly berated Keegan on here for his thoughts on Berglund.

Clarence Haynes 2 years, 12 months ago

Is it a function of berating Berglund or is it how he (Keegan) did it? These are young men and the way he said it could be devastating to that individual's development as an athlete and more important as a person.

d_prowess 2 years, 12 months ago

Welcome to D1 sports. If you can't take criticism from a small/hometown writer then you probably aren't as great as you said you were. So let's tone down the rhetoric that what Keegan wrote could be "devastating" to him.

Clarence Haynes 2 years, 12 months ago

Frankly, D1 has some serious problems including how it is reported. Also, for your information, Keegan's origin is not that of a small town or home town writer as his bio shows:.(http://www2.kusports.com/staff/tom_keegan/). Frankly, they are great credentials, but i sometimes wonder if he fits the bill of a small town writer.

kureader 2 years, 12 months ago

It has nothing to do with whether Keegan's predictions about Berglund's departure came true. So what?

Keegan wasn't berated enough. It's about why a hometown sportswriter would mercilessly bag on a high school senior on his way to Lawrence for his first year of KU football. Over and over again, he did it. It's Classless.

justinryman 2 years, 12 months ago

He can crack on a 17/18 year old kid, and doesn't have to apologize, but those of us who cracked on Keegs, a grown man, have to apologize to him??

That I just don't get.

Jhawk100 2 years, 12 months ago

So when BB is back for Spring ball and competing next fall at the QB spot will you be on Keegan to admit his error? Will you be on here posting how he jumped the gun instead of letting a complicated matter play out? My guess is you won't.

notigers4me 2 years, 12 months ago

You certainly have to give Keegan respect for calling this right. I guess maybe having a career as a sports writer does qualify you to see the signs that lie ahead. I have never understood the crap that he has gotten from a lot of the posters to this sight. As for Asperse always calling for Gills head as a coach it just isn't right. Do unto others as you would have them do to you. I for one appreciate Keegans articles and respect his position at the LJW. I also respect Coach Gill and believe that he has this team pointed in the right direction. It's not about smoke and mirrors as Mr. Mangino was all about it's about building young boys into young men and I believe that Coach Gill is doing things correctly.

Jhawk100 2 years, 12 months ago

So when BB is back for Spring ball and competing next fall at the QB spot will you be on Keegan to admit his error and make an apology?

Kevin Studer 2 years, 12 months ago

I won't be holding my breath for that magical day, nor for the one where he actually plays in a football game.

jayhawkinmullen 2 years, 12 months ago

Keegan was right. I don't think Brock will ever make it on campus.

amatxjayhawk 2 years, 12 months ago

Denver Post reports he's taking a red shirt.

Gregor Southard 2 years, 12 months ago

as did this article! lol Keegan is right so far and no matter what happens he doesn't have to apologize for calling it as he sees it. At least he has never said it's Bush's fault

bad_dog 2 years, 12 months ago

"At least he has never said it's Bush's fault"

Dick Cheney was behind this caper, Nash. Don't ever let him line up in the "shotgun" formation behind you...

Pbbut 2 years, 12 months ago

Is anyone else a little weary of this Brock Berglund drama?

If he returns next spring, I hope he works hard, stays healthy, has a great career. As for 2011, we know who we got, Webb and Mecham are both a year older, a year more experienced, and a year more familiar with the system. Let's hope they produce.

jphog 2 years, 12 months ago

Keegan hasn't nailed anything yet. He said BB would NEVER wear the uniform right? If he comes back next year Keegan could still be wrong. We just have to wait and see.

He still had a very strange obsession with one incoming freshman and it was uncomfortable to read.

John Randall 2 years, 12 months ago

" ... could still be wrong ... "

You still have that hope, do you? So do I, but it will take more character from Brock than he has shown yet.

The best move he has made is to keep his mouth shut – even if that's his lawyer's strategy – and let this all play out while he gets things in order for the rest of his life.

I agree with 'obsession' and 'uncomfortable', but then I never had many heroes among the sports columnist fraternity.

kranny 2 years, 12 months ago

Without being totally familiar with this case or past cases, the dismissal of Sands seems a bit harsh for failing to appear in court for a disturbing the peace violation. If I'm not mistaken we've had other athletes miss court dates but weren't kicked off the the team. Not that it matters to the team much but seems a bit over the top.

KCHawk81 2 years, 12 months ago

Two missed court dates in less than a year. This was an easy one to take care of, too--Bradley McDougald received a citation for the same complaint, paid the fine, and went on his way. Without knowing any more info than that, I don't have a problem with his dismissal.

kranny 2 years, 12 months ago

Now I agree with the dismissal. Didn't know about the other missed court date. Article only refers to the court date missed in June.

actorman 2 years, 12 months ago

As I was reading through the comments, I was wondering if anyone was going to talk about what happened to Sands. What a sad state of affairs, that the son of one of the most popular running backs in KU history would flame out in such an incredibly stupid, completely avoidable way.

I was at that game in '84 too. I remember thinking as I was walking down to the stadium that I wasn't in the mood for sitting through yet another blowout, and wondering if for the first time I would want to leave at half-time. Of course I hadn't realized that the first-string QB for OU was out with an injury and the second-strong QB was academically ineligible. So they were forced to start their third-stringer, an obscure guy by the name of Troy Aikman. Never was someone less suited for a wishbone offense, and why they recruited him is beyond me. After only one year there he transferred to UCLA, and the rest is history. But it was sure a great day to be a Jayhawk fan. The game featured one of the most exciting interception returns I've ever seen. I can't remember who did it for KU, but he made it through practically the entire OU team for something like a 60-yard return. I believe it was early in the third quarter and put KU up by something like two TDs, and they went on to win 28-11. (I can still remember the score.)

This Berglund situation is really bizarre. I mean we've all seen plenty of stories of someone hitting a guy at a bar, but I can't ever remember a situation like that causing these kinds of problems. There simply has to be more to the story. Why would he have to go back and forth SO many times just for a simple assault case??? There has to be something more complicated that we don't know about.

Funhawk 2 years, 12 months ago

Source: Lawrence Journal World, Sunday, October 28, 1984

By Chuck Woodling, J-W Sports Editor You heard it right. It really happened. Kansas 28, Oklahoma 11. Let me repeat that. Kansas 28, Oklahoma 11. Yes, the team left for dead in the Big Eight after losses to Kansas State (24-7) and Oklahoma State (47-10) the last two weekends, poleaxed the nation's second-ranked team in front of just 29,500 Homecoming fans on Saturday afternoon at Memorial Stadium. The turnover deluge started late in the third quarter when OU's Derrick Shepard mishandled a pitchout on a reverse and end Guy Gamble recovered at the OU six. KU couldn't get a touchdown but Dodge Schwartzburg kicked a 19-yard field goal — one of four three-pointers by Schwartzburg on the mostly sunny day — for a 13-3 lead on the last play of the quarter. Then freshman cornerback Milt Garner blocked a punt that rolled out of the end zone for a safety on the fourth play of the last stanza. Kansas 15, Oklahoma 3. Almost five minutes later, free safety Wayne Ziegler applied the clincher when he intercepted a Troy Aikman pass — what a terrible day the OU freshman had in his first collegiate appearance — and returned it 63 yards for a touchdown. KU 22, OU 3.

Topcitykid10 2 years, 12 months ago

Seth Russel QB out of texas remember that name, he's a committ for 2012 and heck my even be better than BB. also don't forget Cummings

actorman 2 years, 12 months ago

Thanks for the post, Funhawk. Great memories. The other truly memorable game from that time was when KU went to play at USC and Frank Seurer went wild. KU shocked the Trojans (who I believe were ranked 10th at the time) and Seurer was named SI's national player of the week. Unfortunately, the game was not televised but it was great to hear it on the radio. I was with about 100 people who welcomed the team back to campus at about 1:00 a.m. in a downpour.