Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Q: Who might be KU’s most improved RB? A: Brandon Bourbon

Brandon Bourbon gets a congratulatory slap on the helmet from offensive lineman Tanner Hawkinson after carrying for a touchdown during a scrimmage on Saturday, Aug. 20, 2011 at Memorial Stadium.

Just a few minutes after Brandon Bourbon entered the meeting room on his first day of camp last season, he already was getting grilled by Kansas University running backs coach Reggie Mitchell.

“What’s your assignment on this play? What’s your technique? What’s your footwork? What’s your aim point?”

The KU freshman running back hadn’t even been given his team’s plays yet.

“My head was spinning,” Bourbon said. “I didn’t know what was going on.”

Bourbon had come from a small high school in Potosi, Mo., where he’d averaged 12.9 yards per carry his senior year.

His high school had only three running plays: a toss, a lead and a counter.

“He’s a big, fast guy,” Mitchell said, “so in high school, they could hand him the ball and he could take off and just out-run everybody.”

Mitchell knew Bourbon wouldn’t be able to rely solely on his physical talents at KU.

At first, the coach’s rapid-fire questions to Bourbon were mostly met with silence. Other times, the young back would throw out an answer, though he didn’t really understand what he was saying.

“It was worse than math (class),” Bourbon said.

For Mitchell, the goal was to make his young running back think more quickly. During a game, backs only have a few seconds to be able to decipher what’s going on in front of them.

The coach’s hope was that putting pressure on Bourbon in the film room would slow the game down for him on the field.

“To his credit, he is 100 percent better this fall than he was last fall, because he’s worked at it,” Mitchell said. “He’s a guy I have confidence in now.”

Mitchell said the toughest transition for backs is actually the passing game, during which they need to be able to read defensive fronts and also learn coverages.

In the running game, RBs need to learn about aiming points and also how to read blocks.

Bourbon could sense a difference about halfway through last season. It was then that his new reads started to become second-nature.

Now, he’s trying to prove that physically he’s ready to compete for carries.

The 6-foot-1, 208-pound Bourbon broke his leg on April 18 and that kept him out of football activities until mid-July.

The red-shirt freshman also has been held out of a few practices and a recent scrimmage because of nagging injuries, though he stood out in Saturday’s open scrimmage with two short TD runs.

“I could see him being a guy — because he can stand up on third down in pass protection and he can catch the ball — that would have the ability to play on all three downs,” Mitchell said. “It’s just a matter of getting him out there and just seeing him play.”

So far, Mitchell said he has seen flashes of potential, but also a player who is “rusty” and getting used to football contact once again.

“He has a role here,” Mitchell said. “We’re still trying to define his role. But he’s a Big 12 running back.”

That includes the mental aspect of the game, where Bourbon has come a long way from his first day in 2010.

“He doesn’t get those (quizzes) any more,” Mitchell said with a smile. “He’s passed the test.”

Comments

100 3 years, 2 months ago

Keep up the hard work Brandon, Jayhawk Nation is extremely proud of the new era in Kansas football you new speedsters are bringing into town....

Our starters will be young this year, but we're not too young to have a chip on our shoulders & continue building this physical & philosophical rock solid foundation Coach Gill is pouring here in Lawrence....

"Refuse to Lose!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

alphajay 3 years, 2 months ago

I like your style, 100! Count me in on your comment, too.

jaycard 3 years, 2 months ago

I've been vacationing wihout internet access, and just getting up to par. Can anyone tell me what happened to some of this year's recruits no longer on the roster...Dremius Smith, Phil Ford etc... Thanks. I'll try to look it up, but these goshdarned computers are hard for me to figure out! Thanks, and GO HAWKS!

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

where in the world can you go and not have internet access? please give me some info so i can book my vacation now !!!

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

Thank You dagger. That's the most polite directive I've received in quite some time.

Randy Bombardier 3 years, 2 months ago

I just hope Brandon is getting over the psychological aspects of having broken his leg. From what I have read here, the comments about getting nicked up, he may be struggling with that. Good reason to hit the weights, build bone density. Also, the Bible says, "Pleasant words are [as] a honeycomb, Sweet to the soul, and health to the bones." Anyone in the med program out there know why honeycomb would be good for bones? The beeswax make the bones less brittle??? If it is in the Word, there is some good science waiting to be discovered.

gdkadjayhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

Although honey has trace amounts of calcium, it doesn't do a lot to build anything that's not there. I think the passage may be talking more about honey's general effects to overall disposition and demeanor, which would be similar to hearing pleasant words.

At any rate, "Go Brandon!"

smar4 3 years, 2 months ago

Bone structure is made strong by a "bone matrix"... a weaving of material (Osteoid) laid down by "immature bone cells" (Osteoblasts) that become "mature bone cells" (osteocytes) that thicken and harden when Calcium and Phosphate are added... bones are always slimming and thickening pending on ur bodies needs for calcium and the damands (stresses) put on the bone, simply taking the stairs and going on walks can have this effect with everyone, especially the elderly!

You could think of bone being made strong like a "honeycomb" with it's "matrix" histologic pattern, but the design is really somewhat different... maybe that is the idea behind the metaphor from the bible

• First year Cleveland Chiropractic student

Matt Bowers 3 years, 2 months ago

I know its early, but does anyone know if there will be a link to watch the McNeese State game? I live in NC and it will not be on tv here. Thanks.

Rock Chalk

Randy Bombardier 3 years, 2 months ago

I did but was not impressed. Frankly, I was depressed. When I subscribed it was live events only. Nothing was archived, not even audio. That was bummer no. 1. The second thing I did not like was that not all games were televised. Some were audio only. Since the events are streamed live, if everyone else in your neighborhood is streaming then no matter how fast your computer is there is bound to be a traffic-jam somewhere and it will play in fits and starts. Under those conditions I would like to be able to opt for audio only. But that was not an option. If a game is not streaming well, I still want to watch the game at some time when there is less traffic. All of these problems can be overcome. KU should demand it. If you want fan support, make being a fan a better experience, in the stadium, online, everywhere. EWAJ (EveryWhere A Jayhawk)

K-State system is better. They have their games archived and the option of audio or video.

jhawkrulz 3 years, 2 months ago

my comments are similar to Inteldesign. Slow and not HD (this is the system that K-State just upgraded to HD quality).

I remember I got about 6 games on TV, but the other 4 I tried to watch on this, and 2 of the games were sound only. The other two were video, but ran into buffering and poor quality. I don't think all of it was my connection either.

The games are not archived, but there are some interviews and some of the weekly shows (TG's weekly show).

The same occurs with Basketball games and the Bill Self Show.

jaycard 3 years, 2 months ago

Thanks gdkadjayhawk for the information. Ku fans are the greatest!