Originally published August 23, 2011 at 03:58p.m., updated August 23, 2011 at 04:53p.m.

Freshman QB Brock Berglund will no longer practice with Jayhawks in fall

RB Deshaun Sands removed from roster

Freshman quarterback Brock Berglund works out with the quarterbacks during the team's first practice on Thursday, Aug. 4, 2011.

KU coach Turner Gill discusses the decision to have Brock Berglund sit out this season

KU coach Turner Gill discusses the decision to have quarterback Brock Berglund sit out this season on Aug. 23, 2011.

Reader poll

Do you think Brock Berglund will play in a game for KU?

• Yes 31% 333 votes
  • No 68% 721 votes

1054 total votes.

Kansas University football coach Turner Gill announced two personnel changes regarding the roster Tuesday afternoon.

First, freshman quarterback Brock Berglund will no longer be taking part in practice during the fall semester, but will remain a member of the Kansas football team.

“Due to legal issues, Brock will no longer be attending practices with the team this fall,” Gill said. “He will remain enrolled as a KU student, and plans to resume all team activities in the spring semester.”

Additionally, Gill announced that due to a violation of team policies, sophomore running back Deshaun Sands has been removed from the team effective immediately.

Sands played in 10 games as a redshirt freshman in 2010, gaining 211 yards on 55 carries, with one touchdown. He picked up Offensive Scout Team Player of the Year honors in 2009, while sitting out the season as a red-shirt.

Sands was arrested Saturday night on an outstanding warrant for missing a June court date related to an April misdemeanor disturbing the peace citation.

He posted $203 cash bond shortly after his arrest and was given notice to appear in Lawrence Municipal Court Aug. 30.

Comments

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Sounds like we can pucker up and kiss BB goodbye. As far as Sands goes, he made his own bed and I'm glad TG is a man of his word and won't put up with the nonsense.

kureader 3 years, 3 months ago

... so much for having a bunch of running backs.

Dirk Medema 3 years, 3 months ago

There are still 4 soph or younger studs, plus Rell and a few others. We're fine at RB.

Ben Kliewer 3 years, 3 months ago

Yes, I don't get this mentality of "We have a bunch of running backs" and then "We lost one running back" and then "We don't have a bunch of running backs" Plus or minus one, a bunch does not make...or break.

Clarence Haynes 3 years, 3 months ago

Deshaun's father has to be disappointed. Unfortunately, he did not fulfill his responsibilities.

d_prowess 3 years, 3 months ago

So Keegan is one more semester closer to be correct that Brock will never play for KU!

Marc Frey 3 years, 3 months ago

So many people were quick to critcize Keegan as if we all are on the sidelines and in the locker rooms and have the same access to information as he does.

TheGiftedOne 3 years, 3 months ago

Idk if anyone remembers...but I called this months ago. Pat on my own back.

Funhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Does that mean I have to eat the crow in my freezer?

Chris Bailey 3 years, 3 months ago

I'm not kissing anything. I'm pretty sure Keegan said EVER not just this year. Gill says he will resume practice in the spring. I'll believe he's gone when Gill says it in a Matt Tait written article. Until then Brock Burgland ROCK CHALK!

8808 3 years, 3 months ago

CardHawkFan 3 years, 3 months ago

So does that mean BB is taking a red shirt? I understand this is a young man and we shouldn't put too much weight on him yet, but we keep hearing what his plans are from other sources. I understand that TG is doing what he can, but when Mario Little had his run-in with the law, he didn't make excuses and apologized himself, not through Coach Self. Just a thought...

jhawkrulz 3 years, 3 months ago

On Yahoo Sports, it says he will use his redshirt year.

To me it was probably 90% he was going to use his redshirt anyways unless if he won the starting role.

If he could this thing out of the way and start focusing on school and football I think he would be better off.

I really am disappointted that an alleged "punch" in high school takes this long to sort out legally. Personally, this should have been done...community service served, and/or a fine.

This has the taste of someone trying to set themselves up for some lawsuit, which is such a joke.

David Lara 3 years, 3 months ago

So is he staying in school? If he is not with the football team it seems that he won't burn a year of eligibility or need a redshirt. It would be a pain to use a redshirt on him when he won't be with the team and working on getting better and learning the system. THAT is what is supposed to happen in redshirt years. Seems like the Greg Paulis situation where exhausting his eligibility in BB didn't affect his eligibility in FB. Here's hoping he can just call a "do-over" and enroll for spring ball again. And this time actually do it.

missmagoo 3 years, 3 months ago

I'm sorry, but this all seems excessive for a kid throwing a punch.

I've never been arrested or anything... but..... Casey Anthony is free on murder and Brock Berglund can't leave the state of CO for throwing a punch? ;)

kureader 3 years, 3 months ago

It does seem odd that he has to travel back and forth all the time. We're obviously missing part of the story.

Tony Bandle 3 years, 3 months ago

If the picture above is a reflection of Brock's passing style, maybe a redshirt year [or two] would do him some good.

Kent Wells 3 years, 3 months ago

Something from Revenge of the Nerds pops into my head. Lamars limp wristed thowing motion? Perhaps they can add some wings to the football?

matlockhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

matlockhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

And that...............................

SCJayhawker 3 years, 3 months ago

So very sorry to hear about Sands. I hope he can learn from this and move on. Best of luck to him and I hope he still has a bright and happy future. Brock seems to be on the same path as Deshaun. I hope he can straighten out soon or he too will be done with football at KU.

irvan moore 3 years, 3 months ago

i wonder if this will hurt our standing in the big 12 football polls? it's to bad about Sands, i think we coulda used him.

kevz87 3 years, 3 months ago

Ha all u haters dogging on Keegan. That's why he's the reporter. He won't play next year either. Got two qbs coming in that the coaches like. Just go to Colorado bb.

Geezer 3 years, 3 months ago

The objection was to Keegan writing a hatchet job on a High School kid. Had nothing to do with his abilities as a fortune teller. It was an article that, in my opinion, should never have been published.

Dirk Medema 3 years, 3 months ago

And after the Bubba prediction, it just brings him back to 50%, which makes him as smart as a nickel.

75Jayhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Keegan is not a reporter, he is a columnist. There is a huge difference. It's amazing that all of you "journalists" don't know the difference.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 3 months ago

When asked for a comment BB said he disappears like Harry Houdini.

William James 3 years, 3 months ago

Hahahaha!!!! Good one. Keep bringin em in Coach Gill!

Philip Garver 3 years, 3 months ago

I hate your pov's, but you crack me up!!!

Randy Bombardier 3 years, 3 months ago

Does not sound to me like BB was a part of disciplinary action, but that this was more of a management decision so he could take care of this business, concentrate on school, get some things under his belt and out of the way. Having an extra year would also help.

With Sands, clearly a disciplinary action that needed to be taken. Well, one more schollie available in 2012. That can't be bad. I would say that because of increased prowess at recruiting that our guys better be 12-month athletes and keep their nose clean. If not, they are no use to the team and will be cut loose. Give them a chance to change, but if it is not happening get them off the team. Glad to see it.

oldalum 3 years, 3 months ago

Didn't I read that Sands' problem was "disturbing the peace" with loud music? The arrest was the result of his failure to appear to answer those charges. Getting kicked off the team seems a little harsh for playing your music too loud, so maybe I don't have all the facts.

texashawk10 3 years, 3 months ago

He was also arrested for skipping his second court appearance when police had to go to his apartment for at least the second time on a disturbing the peace complaint.

topeka52 3 years, 3 months ago

Sands was also arrested in 2010 for a failure to appear charge. Once maybe, but twice not so much

Dyrk Dugan 3 years, 3 months ago

the original article still didn't provide the information....the LJW had to have some info.about what was going on. nevertheless, i'll take my hat off to Keegan for basically getting the story right....the jury is out....but it's banging on the door. Brock may well never suit up for KU.

at least we won't have it over our heads all fall....we can actually play some football finally.

as for Sands....a legacy guy, but he's expendable.....we really are loaded at RB.

Luan Do 3 years, 3 months ago

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

I'll bet you're right !! He was probably the slowest of all the running backs and lost the race.

Good God, Assnation

newjayhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

c'mon bro.....take your joke elsewhere.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 3 months ago

Wrong article, it was the other running back that got pulled over for race...ing

coachboy1 3 years, 3 months ago

The black coach lets the black running back go because of race. You are the smartest person on this board or maybe not, just saying.

Luan Do 3 years, 3 months ago

that was the joke. you guys caught on quick. it was so stupid that it was funny.

KGphoto 3 years, 3 months ago

Your avatar is so stupid it's funny.

SaltLakeHawk 3 years, 2 months ago

SWEET avatar, tool.

I get it though. Without that picture, how else would we all know that you're in moderately good shape? It's obviously something we all need to know.

Again, you're a tool.

LAJayhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Matt Tait,

Can you clear up what this does with Berglund's years of eligibility? Since he's not participating, does he not lose the year? Or does he have to redshirt? Can he redshirt? Or do you feel like we looking at a possible transfer?

If you can't answer the last one, I understand. I'm more curious how it effects how much time he's allowed to play. Seems to me that he would just retain the year since he's not practicing at all, but I don't know how the rules apply to this situation.

Gracias de antemano.

oldalum 3 years, 3 months ago

There is some rule about your eligibility clock starting to tick as soon as you enroll. I don't know if it applies in every case, but I seem to remember another football player getting crosswise with that rule after starting at some school that didn't even have a football team. In that case BB would lose this year whether he played or not. I hope Matt comes back with an answer tomorrow.

LAJayhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Yeah, I really don't buy the transfer idea, but others above were tossing it around, so I thought I'd ask Matt. Did you hear that he is definitely redshirting? Where did you hear it from?

And, yeah, as early as late summer it became pretty clear the kid was going to need to redshirt. If he can, he absolutely should.

Lance Hobson 3 years, 3 months ago

A strong and decisive move, I have gained some respect for Turner Gill. I'm also thankful that the LJW did not harp on the legacy storyline and simply stated it as it was. This way we can remember Tony Sands for how great he was and not for the numbskull son of his.

KGphoto 3 years, 3 months ago

Probably toss in another available schollie when Heeney faces the music in Sept. He plead not-guilty but it sounded pretty bad to me. Bad in Turner Gill terms anyway.

The under age limit is .02 so I'm guessing he refused the breath test and took the blood test instead, which takes time to process. Refusal to take at least one of those is admitting the crime. To be arrested for speeding I think you have to be like 50 mph over, which is not all that contestable with today's police technology.

He better have a trick or lots of money up his sleeve after pleading not guilty, or he's gonna do time.

Dirk Medema 3 years, 3 months ago

20+ is wreckless, and at the discretion of the officer.

The time also doesn't change the outcome of the blood test, because they know the rate at which the body get rid of alcohol, so they can project it forwards or back - or at least that's what I'm recalling from the jury box.

Pleading not guilty also doesn't change the penalty, but it does give you an opp for the charges to be dismissed.

KGphoto 3 years, 3 months ago

And I'm not ready to 100% write off Brock. One thing I AM certain of is that TG doesn't want anymore distraction from here on out, whether he comes back next spring or not. So better to just make it clear the situation and move on with the guys you have.

fishy81 3 years, 3 months ago

Thank you Turner! You are providing much needed discipline to these young men. The must understand that they are accountable for their actions....both on and OFF the field.

Chuck Woodling 3 years, 3 months ago

Feeling sorry for Tuxedo Tony Sands, one of the nicest, hardest working men ever to put on a KU football uniform. Tuxedo Tony still holds the NCAA record for most carries (58) in a game.

Dan Pawlowski 3 years, 3 months ago

Well if we didn't have the need to project one moment of failure into the entire future, then posters and sportswriters would have nothing to write and those they doubt would only have themselves to challenge.

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Could you please define, in K-State language, what exactly is a " genious " ?

Evidently, it must have something to do with animal husbandry which you are obviously well versed in.

Brent Atwater 3 years, 3 months ago

@ LAJayhawk...I believe its 5 years to play 4 in most situations (that allows for the one Red Shirt year). With that said you lose one year of eligibility transferring within NCAA D-I unless you still have a Red Shirt and two years of eligibility within the same conference (depending on conference rules)...provided you can get your release from your Letter of Intent in both cases.

With all that said let's go back to the 5 years to play 4...two major exemptions I am aware of (and may be others. First those individuals of the Mormon faith are allowed 7 years to play 4 if they participate in the 2 year Mormon mission; second there have been instances where someone is granted a5th year of eligibility due to a "medical hardship" which has to be approved by the NCAA.

How the QB and KU will handle this year is probably TBD.

LAJayhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Thanks. Redshirting seems to be the most obvious answer, yet some above are suggesting it might not be allowed since he isn't participating. Personally, I don't really understand how that's possible, because if he is a member of the football team on scholarship, the NCAA shouldn't care whether he practicing or not. It's the program's decision to hand out the redshirt.

Hopefully it will be answered soon.

P.S. The medical exception is actually the rule that allows a player to play a rare 6th year.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 3 months ago

In the better football programs a different player misses a court date everyday. Seems a little harsh to get the boot over a $200 ticket.

BigAl 3 years, 3 months ago

Correct. And that is why there is probably more to the story. Probably a lot more.

johnnyhrdwd 3 years, 3 months ago

Maybe there's a chance that Sands can earn his spot back on the team

bangaranggerg 3 years, 3 months ago

There's got to be more to the story about Sands. No way a legacy gets his walking papers for missing court dates for a traffic citation and loud music.. Wow, really must not have been Turner's boy!

Deb Engstrom 3 years, 3 months ago

I agree. This happens so often among the student population and the original charges weren't major. Certainly is a bit irresponsible, but not worth losing your spot on the team unless there is more to it.

minnhawk84 3 years, 2 months ago

Sands can be reinstated at any time by HCTG. The young man needs to get this sh!t together, straighten all of this out, and get his head on right. We've seen other athletes in other places go through this type of penalty and come back. (hey, isn't this a Nebraska-style policy?)