Originally published August 22, 2011 at 03:18p.m., updated August 22, 2011 at 04:04p.m.

September court date set for KU freshman linebacker Benjamin Heeney charged with driving drunk, racing on highway

A freshman Kansas University football player faces a September hearing in a drunken driving case in Douglas County District Court, according to court records.

Benjamin Heeney, 19, a linebacker and former Hutchinson High School standout, pleaded not guilty July 29 to one count of DUI and one count of racing on a highway, according to Douglas County prosecutors.

A Lawrence police officer arrested Heeney at 3:15 a.m. July 16 in the 700 block of West 23rd Street after a vehicle stop, according to police and jail records. Additional information about the stop and arrest was not available Monday. Heeney posted $250 cash bond after the arrest, and his attorney John Frydman appeared in court on Heeney’s behalf on July 29. A trial setting is scheduled for Sept. 13, according to jail records.

Jim Marchiony, an associate KU athletic director, said Monday Heeney was still a member of the team.

“Coach (Turner Gill) is aware of that and has handled it internally,” Marchiony said.

In criminal cases in Kansas, prosecutors must prove a driver’s blood-alcohol content was 0.08 percent or more whether the driver is of legal drinking age or not. But a driver under the age of 21 can face driver’s license restrictions if his or her blood-alcohol content was at least 0.02 percent.

Comments

Chris Bailey 9 years, 3 months ago

Come on Ben! You know better than to do something this dumb! Represent Hutch well! Don't make us look bad man. You're a good kid and a heck of a player! Enjoy college but be smart. Rock Chalk!

kureader 9 years, 3 months ago

He's not representing Hutch well? He's making you look bad? How do you know that? Wouldn't it depend upon whether or not he won the race?

ahpersecoachingexperience 9 years, 3 months ago

He must not of taken the pledge at halftime of the spring game.

hometownhawk 9 years, 3 months ago

He's a freshman, so he wasn't here for the spring game. Smarta$$.

SCJayhawker 9 years, 3 months ago

UNBELIEVABLE!!! Here we go again. Two articles about football players screwing up. Hey Lets Get Something Straight! Clean Up Your Acts Or Get Off My Team. COACH GILL GET RID OF THE RIFRAFF AND THOSE WHO GIVE KU A BAD NAME.

notigers4me 9 years, 3 months ago

It just proves that he is not a man yet. Someone still needs to holds his hand and supervise him. I am sure that he is now getting exactly that.

Chris Bailey 9 years, 3 months ago

Now hold on he who has never screwed up may cast the first stone. I think we forget these are kids! I know I did some stupid stuff at 19. I'm sure that each of us have things we've done we wouldn't want our moms to know about! Cut him some slack. Just hope we don't have a repeat.

Mike Kendall 9 years, 3 months ago

Oh, yes, I remember Mr. Heeney running all over my hometown high school team. What great talent he had and yet, another one bites the dust! What a bummer. He seemed a little cocky when he played us but he could sure back it up. Kind of shame he did this in Lawrence. I hope Coach Gill takes a stand and makes a fair decision in regard to student-athletes who break the law.

Dirk Medema 9 years, 3 months ago

It's always a good idea to go to bed the same day you woke up.

badtad1 9 years, 3 months ago

I think we had a name for those Hutch boys in my day - Hutch Trash! We still loved them.

Chris Bailey 9 years, 3 months ago

Not sure how to take that comment? As a born and raised Hutch native I see a lot of the state being jealous of the teams we have put out the last 8 years. We are good here and I find it funny people say we recruit. We have 6 schools in Reno County and 5 of 6 of them were state ranked last season. So just to clear that up. In regards to the trash comment I find Hutch to be a quiet town to raise a family. We don't have much to offer here but at 40,000 people and a reasonably quiet town I'd say we have a nice community. Again, not much to do and pretty boring but not trash.

kureader 9 years, 3 months ago

Some of us are just teasin' you, rx.
My inlaws are from Hutch. It's a nice town. Hutch puts out lots of KU grads. Actually, Hutch has sent quite a few athletes to KU over the years. But, it is boring there, unless you like to hunt or can get on at Prairie Dunes.

Mike Kendall 9 years, 3 months ago

rx----

I wouldn't consider Hutch trash. When we play Hutch High, we always get fired up---we consider it a challenge to play the Salt Hawks every season. The biggest win we had several years ago was at Hutch---major upset for sure, courtesy of Derby, KS High School. Danny Knight was from Hutch. I was a big fan when he played for Ted Owens. I have nothing but respect for Hutch. Rock Chalk.

WS 9 years, 3 months ago

RX, i think the kid was in plenty of trouble before now.

Will be interesting to see how these two situations are handled by Gill

Chris Bailey 9 years, 3 months ago

Crazy nothing in our paper. I hope he gets it fixed and his head on straight! He's a hellofa player!

SCJayhawker 9 years, 3 months ago

Sands found out the hard way. Wonder how many strikes he was given?

squawkhawk 9 years, 3 months ago

Wow! T Gill really has his kids under control. Seems like the rats are running the place these days. Well, at least they aren't texting.

79ictjhawk 9 years, 3 months ago

You expected Gill to turn the music down for him?

79ictjhawk 9 years, 3 months ago

Or ride shotgun, to tell him to slow down?

WjayhawkW 9 years, 3 months ago

First of all W 23rd is probably the easiest street to speed on in Lawrence...which the cops have caught on to and have set up DUI check points. At 19 you can have one beer and be a target for a DUI so was it a smart decision? No, but it doesn't appear that enough details have been revealed to say he is a disgrace to the University. Gill has made it clear that he will kick trash off the team..Heeney is still on it- take that for what it's worth.