Monday, August 22, 2011

KU sophomore running back Deshaun Sands arrested for missing court date on disturbing the peace charge

A sophomore Kansas University running back was arrested Saturday night on an outstanding warrant for missing a June court date related to an April misdemeanor disturbing the peace citation.

Deshaun Sands, 20, posted $203 cash bond shortly after his arrest and was given notice to appear in Lawrence Municipal Court Aug. 30.

Municipal court officials said Monday morning that Sands failed to appear for a June 21 hearing. Sands was cited the night of April 7 after police were called to his apartment in the 1300 block of West 24th Street following a complaint about a loud party, said Sgt. Matt Sarna, a Lawrence police spokesman. Sarna said KU junior safety Bradley McDougald, Sands’ roommate at the time, was also cited for disturbing the peace in the incident, and municipal court officials said his case was resolved after McDougald pleaded guilty May 4 and paid $253 in court costs and fines.

After Sands missed the June court date, a judge issued a bench warrant for his arrest. Sarna said officers made contact with Sands and arrested him on the warrant Saturday night after they were called to the same apartment complex for a complaint about loud music.

Jim Marchiony, an associate KU athletic director, said Monday afternoon head coach Turner Gill was still gathering information regarding Sands’ weekend arrest.

“As soon as he is sure of the facts he will have something to say,” Marchiony said.

Sands, a sophomore from Sunrise, Fla., played in 10 games last season. He was also arrested briefly on a warrant in October last year after he failed to appear in municipal traffic court for speeding. Court officials said Monday the traffic case was no longer pending.

Comments

Clarence Haynes 3 years ago

I believe that his father will get the last word on this.

ku_foaf 2 years, 12 months ago

He was kicked off the team, and people do want to know why.

Keith Hummel 3 years ago

On the surface this just seems silly. Go to any apartment complex near any major University on almost any given night and you will hear loud music. The only way they should have been cited is if they blatantly refused to turn it down or were habitual offenders. That said, Sands was a complete idiot for not taking care of this, and an even bigger idiot because this is the second time he has thumbed his nose at the law and paid the price. For that reason alone I would suspend him for several games.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years ago

Pssst, Sands come here. Just tell T Geez-ay it was gospel music.

Randy Bombardier 3 years ago

Yeah, and he missed court because he was at a prayer meeting. Yeah, right.

OKHawkFan 3 years ago

So I'm still trying to figure you out. Do you dislike TG because you don't think he will turn things around? Or because he's a Christian? Or do you dislike him because he's a Christian who in your opinion can't win at KU? Seriously the christian bashing is getting a little old!! If you don't think he's a good coach fine.. you can complain about his coaching all you want. But to attack his faith is pretty week in my opinion!! If TG was a very outspoken muslim you know darn well that you would not make comments/jokes about his faith because then you would be called a bigot/muslim fear monger!! So you don't agree with some of his rules about how his players should behave like gentlemen off the field. Fine... but to be honest I would have a bigger problem if TG did claim to be a Christian and give a flippant attitude of "boys will be boys" in college in regards to his players making poor decisions!

TheGiftedOne 3 years ago

Who cares about your opinion...let the man speak...its a message board.

OKHawkFan 2 years, 12 months ago

It's a sports message board not attack somebody's faith message board and he does it all the time. Look the jury is still out on whether or not Coach TG can turn this program around and like I said if he wants to criticize his football coaching abilities I don't have a problem in the slightest. All I'm saying is leave the Christian bashing to Bill Marr he at least can make a living at it!!

TheGiftedOne 3 years ago

Who cares about your opinion...let the man speak...its a message board.

newjayhawk 2 years, 12 months ago

Thank you so much TheGiftedOne , Amen, Amen, Amen! It's a message board for pete's sake.

OKHawkFan 2 years, 12 months ago

ha ha yes where we can all post comments anonymously about what people believe but would dare not say it to their face. But you're right it is a free country and apherse can bash/post all he wants. Really my point was it gets a little old for a sports message board to continually read the bashing crap. But you're right it is a message board so no big deal.

79ictjhawk 2 years, 12 months ago

Yes, Okhawkfan - persey is an anti-Christian bigot.

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 12 months ago

You know what else is getting old??? Football coaches pushing "no drinking pledges" on the schools fans during the spring game. Telling recruits it's " gods plan this" and "gods plan that".

And no I'm not a Christian but if I was I would "talk to god" and ask him if he would rather be worshiped in church or in the football offices???

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 12 months ago

Oh, and the double meaning in all of this "believe" garbage is incredible!

OKHawkFan 2 years, 12 months ago

Well I'm sure if you asked God he would say. "I don't care where you worship me just as long as I'm worshipped." Point #2 the drinking issue. So what I'm hearing is that Turner Gill organizes a prohibition rally every day he sets foot on campus? Forcing poor innocent college students to make pledges against their will like he was the Gestapo?? I think he probably is a strong advicate for not allowing underage drinking and if you are of legal age to know what your limit is and not consume too much. You make it sound as if we live in beer land where there are no consequences to overconsumption of alcohol. Might I invite you back to reality where there are serious consequences to getting drunk ie drunk driver hitting and killing somebody or a while back (where I live) there was an off duty police officer who is now paralized from the neck down due to breaking up a fight between two drunks at a bar. But you're right how dare you Turner for speaking out about the dangers of Alcohol I mean who do you think you are the morality police? Now on to your next point about "'God's Plan" If TG is truely telling a recruit that it's "God's plan" that they become a Jayhawk or somehow try to manipulate a recruit by playing the faith card, then yeah even I as a Christian have a problem with that! So my question to you is what evidence do you have that he's doing this? Everybody please take note... God does not care about KU, MIZZOU, OU, Auburn, Eastern Michigan, or dare I say it Notre Dame winning a BCS Championship. What God does care about is you entering into a relationship with Him through Jesus Christ!!! I hope you'll put your faith in Him Aphers oh and thanks for responding by the way. Oh and not sure what you mean by the double meaning of "believe" maybe you can clear that one up for me.

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 12 months ago

“But the coaches at KU told me to look at it as more of a temporary setback. It may not be in God’s plan for me to go there right now..." -Phil Ford

OKHawkFan 2 years, 12 months ago

That's a nifty trick you're trying to pull but I'm gonna need to see the whole quote in context! Please provide link. You can read it that way or you can read it as the coaches said to look at it as a temp setback and then Phil is saying it might not be in God's plan as far as what he believes and not that the coaches actually said that. They are quoting what PF is saying and it might not necessarily be PF quoting what a coach said. ie. "My bosses said I'm a great employee but that they're going to have to let me go. Guess it wasn't God's will that I work there anymore." That's somebody quoting me word for word but my former employer didn't say that it wasn't in God's will I said that and somebody is quoting me. Again I need to see the whole quote and in context you provided just enough to be somewhate vauge.

Kevin Randell 2 years, 12 months ago

Funny thing about "expressing" and "forcing"....that when you talk about anything that deals with God, Jesus, or religion you are forcing it down people's throats. But if it doesn't have one of those three previous mentioned subjects you are merely expressing your opinion.

I mean....if you want to say that Christian's are "forcing" their beliefs on us, then I guess you can say that the gay population is forcing their beliefs on us as well. Because if a person merely expresses their beliefs or opinion about something.....they are "forcing" it down our throats....according to LJWorld message board terminology.

Ben Kliewer 2 years, 12 months ago

You all know you're a bunch of idiots...right?

Todd Simpson 2 years, 12 months ago

you know he would say Football Offices

Randy Bombardier 2 years, 12 months ago

I for one am grateful that you are here, ahperse. You keep me on my toes, help rally the troops (as they appear to be rallied against you), make flippant comments that are often funny (Sometimes, though, just to be fair I am laughing at you.) and are not one bit gullible. We need that. We really do. Jesus said of Thomas (He, too, later became a disciple just like you will.), "Behold, an Israelite who indeed has no naivete."

Andy Tweedy 3 years ago

I can't speak to what he did to get in trouble, it does sound fairly harmless. But missing multiple court dates? Seriously? The first should have been a lesson learned, the second? I don't know how coach will handle this, but missing two court dates is pretty irresponsible.

Geekinout 3 years ago

• At least he wasn't angrily crawling through Taco Bell's drivethru window.
  • At least he wasn't holding and robbing people at gun point at their apartments.

notigers4me 3 years ago

It sounds like Daddy Tony is going to have to come to town and babysit his boy. He is not representing very well.

actorman 3 years ago

"- At least he wasn't angrily crawling through Taco Bell's drivethru window. "- At least he wasn't holding and robbing people at gun point at their apartments."

So if someone commits a robbery you would say, "At least he didn't beat anyone up?" Yes, what he did is not as bad as what some other players did years ago. In fact, the actual offense is not a big deal. But as others have pointed out, it's unbelievably stupid to miss a court date for a SECOND time. Hasn't he ever heard of a calendar? He should be suspended for stupidity alone.

Kirk 3 years ago

This gives me a warm, hopeful feeling.

The thug vibe is a positive sign. If we can get MORE of our football players gang banging like our basketball players, we might just get good.

Does this seem at odds with Mr. Gill's Christian-ness? Hardly. It's all based on repressing stuff and looking the other way as long as possible, and then playing dumb when you get called out. Gill can do that.

We need more guys on the football team to be ramming their girlfriend's heads into a sink, but I'm hopeful we'll get there.

parrothead8 3 years ago

Second time he's missed a court date. Second time the cops have been called due to his music being too loud. Seems like this guy has a hard time learning from his mistakes.

Carolyn Troupe 2 years, 12 months ago

I hope Tony will withhold his tuxedo from the boy until he gets his act together.

Lance Hobson 2 years, 12 months ago

What a knucklehead. This is why you don't have kids when you're too young, they end up like this. Tony Sands should have kept it in his pants. Now he's got this moron running around KU partying and missing court dates and ruining his legacy. If even a fourth of the players on the team have this attitude we won't win a game this season.

djhawk75 2 years, 12 months ago

...will get teeeeeeeeeeen or more sacks this year.

actorman 2 years, 12 months ago

"If even a fourth of the players on the team have this attitude we won't win a game this season."

As critical as I am of his stupidity, I think it has extremely little to do with how many games KU will win this season. But then it's never taken much for Strikewso to say something negative about a KU team.

Keith Hummel 2 years, 12 months ago

It's also official now (according to this same press release) that Berglund will not play this year due to his ongoing legal issues. Not clear if that means he's red-shirting or if it means something else.

djhawk75 2 years, 12 months ago

That decision was a no-brainer. Years from now Sands will see what an idiot he's been.