Friday, August 19, 2011

Former Kansas guard Robinson to play in Paris

Former Kansas University point guard Russell Robinson, who played professional basketball in Barcelona last year, is off to Paris for the 2011-12 season.

“It’ll be pretty hard to top that, but from what I hear, Paris is pretty fun, too,” Robinson said Thursday night from New York’s LaGuardia Airport. He was preparing to board a flight to France, where he’ll be playing for JSF Nanterre this season.

“France is a good league, probably right behind Spain. It’s very, very competitive. It’s going to be a good challenge. I’m looking forward to it,” added Robinson, who has signed a one-year contract. Terms were not disclosed.

The 6-foot-1, 190-pound New York native averaged 9.6 points and 2.8 assists per game for DKV Joventut Badalona in 2010-11.

“The market is funny this year with all the NBA players checking out jobs. You take what is available at the time. This job is definitely the best one,” said Robinson.

The starting point guard on KU’s 2008 NCAA title team had planned on battling for a spot in the NBA this season. The lockout, however, could wipe out the entire 2011-12 NBA campaign.

“Obviously I want to be in the U.S., if there’s any chance to be in the U.S.,” said the 25-year-old Robinson. “I thought this year was a good year to give it a shot. I went to Charlotte and had a good time there (working out with Bobcats prior to start of lockout on July 1). I would have definitely gone to training camp if there was no lockout. It would have been exciting. It didn’t happen. I’ve got to go on. I’m happy with my decision.”

The team is happy to have him.

“He is a very good defender and can score,” coach Pascal Donnadieu said on the JSF Nanterre team website. “He can change the positions 1 and 2 (point and shooting guard) no difference. I expect him to be a leader as he has always on his previous teams.”

Robinson plans on being a true floor leader as his team makes the jump from France’s B League to A Division.

“They’ve got a lot to prove. It’s a young team,” he said. “I can go in and run a team and do what I have to do.”

Robinson doesn’t figure to return to Lawrence anytime soon with his pro season lasting until May 2012.

“I ran into at least five or six Jayhawks today in New York. All the support at KU ... I miss it so much,” he said. “I’ll be back there as soon as I can.”

Lewis a fan of Robinson: Isaiah Lewis, a 6-3, 160-pound junior point guard from Brooklyn, N.Y.’s Christ the King High, tells jayhawkslant.com he looks up to former New York Rice High standout Robinson.

“I’ve talked to Russell a lot about Kansas,” said Lewis, who will attend the Oct. 14 Late Night in the Phog on an unofficial visit. “I’ve known Russell for a long time. I first met Russell back when he played for the New York Gauchos, and I’d go watch him play when I was a little younger and I wasn’t playing AAU yet. He’s really been like a big brother to me.”

Lewis, who is ranked No. 43 in the Class of 2013 by Rivals.com, has received scholarship offers from KU, Arizona, Arkansas, Baylor, Connecticut, Florida, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Ohio State, Oregon State, Seton Hall, St. John’s, Virginia Tech and West Virginia. He’s also heard from Kentucky, North Carolina and Michigan State.

Comments

Ralster Jayhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

What was it that Roy Williams said about Russell Robinson prior to the 08 March Madness: "The most important 7ppg in college basketball..." (translate: he 'created' 4 guys in double figures every night, sometimes 5...and he disrupted the living shiz out of most opponents!). And speaking of Roy+RussRob: In that April 5, 08 Final4 game, Roy got to see Russell open the KU scoring with a 3pt bomb, and end KU's final points that night with a baseline finish at the rim...

Nice to hear he still defends 'real good' (understatement).

Also known is he has developed a smooth/quick 3pt bomb the last 2yrs (because he had to).

RCJH, Russell!

jhwkfan162515 2 years, 8 months ago

Still feels weird after all this time NOT to hear the loud chant of "NEW YORK, NEW YORK" resonate in AFH during player intros...

pizzashuttle 2 years, 8 months ago

On Rivals - Bossi said that Peters is a 3 star based on his current skills and not because he didn't play enough summer AAU ball. You can click on the free chat that Bossi and Meyers did on Rivals if you want to read his exact words.

Hinrichisgod 2 years, 8 months ago

NEW YOOORK, NEW YORK! Congrats RusRob. Rock Chalk.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 8 months ago

Collins to Turkey. Morris and Morningstar to Greece Reed to Belgium Robinson to France Pollard to Mars

REHawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Humphrey must have picked up that line from Hemingway. I hope to see Russell accumulate enough European or NBA greenbacks to return someday as a permanent resident of Lawrence. Indeed, a champion Jayhawk. His freshman battle with BIll Self now an amusing sidenote in the annals of player maturation at KU.

Dan Pawlowski 2 years, 8 months ago

Way to Russell. The best recruiting for Kansas besides the coaches are the fine players that come out of the program . Rock Chalk!

cklarock 2 years, 8 months ago

A year in Barcelona and now a year in Paris playing the game you love? We should all be so lucky! Congrats Russell, enjoy the city!

Tony Bandle 2 years, 8 months ago

RussRob....learn the language, even if only rudimentally. When an American is speaking to the native Parisians in their own language, they "take pity" on us savages and will speak English and actually be a lot friendlier.

My first line was always, "Veuillez me pardonner comme j'essaie de parlor votre belle lange." translated "Please forgive me as I try to speak your beautiful language."

It worked every time.

And for God's sake, don't say anything nice about I.M.Pei's Glass Pyramid at the entrance to The Louvre....they hate it!!!!!!!

jaybate 2 years, 8 months ago

You'll always have Paris, now, RR.

jc1306 2 years, 8 months ago

LAJayhawk666, yes it is normal for those guys do drop. Zach hasn't been on AAU circuit all year and Nino has big-time academic issues. Peterson was a 5 star as a sophomore, committed, and quit showcasing himself because it was unnecessary. The guy is a beast, go watch some film of him. He's a little stronger version of Nick Collison in my opinion. Not better, but very similar!

yates33333 2 years, 8 months ago

Robinson is a great person. I hope he makes it big in Paris and gets a chance to be in the NBA since that is what he wants. He is already a big leaguer in my books.

Jonathan Andrews 2 years, 8 months ago

Yep, Brady is one week older than Russell. Isn't that peculiar?

KULA 2 years, 8 months ago

Wait a minute--is Brady actually older than Russell? Whaaaaat?

LaJHawk666 2 years, 8 months ago

Congrats and best of luck to Russ Rob! I would love to see him in the NBA someday.

Lewis seems like a good prospect.

Did anyone notice that Zach Peters ranking dropped to a 2-star, 87? Nino Jackson's dropped to a 3-star, 90. Is this normal? Is Zach skipping summer AAU ball part of the reason?

I've only recently started paying attention to off-season recruiting so I'm still learning how all of this works. Thanks to you knowledgeable posters for your insights!!!

RCJH