Thursday, August 18, 2011

Tyrel Reed signs with Belgian team

Kansas guard Tyrel Reed drives against Boston University guard Darryl Partin during the first half on Friday, March 18, 2011 at the BOK Center in Tulsa.

Burlington native/Kansas University graduate Tyrel Reed will begin his professional basketball career far from home.

The 6-foot-3 combo guard on Wednesday agreed to a one-year contract with VOO Verviers-Pepinster, a member of the Ethias League in Verviers, Belgium. Terms were not disclosed.

“I’m just excited to begin this adventure,” said Reed, who along with wife Jessica, heads overseas this weekend for training camp and the start of a season that runs through May, 2012.

“It’s a great opportunity,” Reed added. “It’s not like I’m making NBA money. I don’t really know all the particulars (of salary). Regardless of money, I’m excited to know I will be able to play professional basketball. There are a lot of nerves right now. I guess you could say I’m a rookie not knowing what to expect over there — different language, different country, driving a stick shift. Little things you kind of worry about. You know basketball is still going to be the same.”

Reed noted that former KU/Gonzaga guard Micah Downs started his pro career with VOO Verviers-Pepinster. Americans currently on the team include former South Carolina guard Devan Downey, Richmond center Dan Geriot and Vanderbilt guard Jermaine Beal.

“It is a stable country, stable team. It’s a really good league,” Reed said. “There’s a lot of great basketball in Belgium. A lot of good players have played there and moved on to other jobs in Europe. I’m ready to make the most of it.”

He expects to be used at both shooting guard and point guard.

“I don’t think I’m set at anything. It’s kind of how KU is,” Reed said. “A guard is a guard, the one and the two. That’s the mind-set I’m going to have.”

There is some positive karma as he and his wife begin this new adventure.

“My team has a blue bird (as mascot). I don’t know what kind of bird it is,” he said with a laugh. “I don’t think it’s a Jayhawk, but like my sister said, maybe I’m stuck on teams that have birds as their mascot, I don’t know.”

Run done?

Most experts figure KU’s run of seven straight Big 12 titles will end this season.

“I wouldn’t pick us to win, either,” KU coach Bill Self said Wednesday in Dana O’Neil’s blog on ESPN.com. “I understand where that’s coming from. This is probably the most unpredictable season I’ve faced here.”

Self said junior Kevin Young, a 6-8, 185-pound forward who played two seasons at Loyola Marymount, could prove to be the squad’s most important newcomer. Young averaged 10.7 points and 5.3 boards his soph season at LMU.

“There would definitely be more of a concern if we didn’t get Kevin,’’ Self told ESPN. “He has a chance to be one of our better players, honestly.”

Comments

eastTXjayhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Maybe he can be a direct source for the tasty Westvleteren 12's...but I don't want to seem like I'm a chooser (cuz I am a beggar) so I'd graciously accept an 8 or a 6.

And I'd much rather play basketball to get this delicious nectar than be a Monk, or even a basketball playing Monk.

Jeeveshawk 2 years, 8 months ago

I am not worried about us not winning the B12 this year. It seam that every year we are predicted not to win and every year we end up winning. With the talents of Robinson, Johnson, McLemore, and Taylor and with Self coaching us, we will be a formidalble team by the time of conference play

Mark Wooden 2 years, 8 months ago

Looks like I will follow the Belgian League. Tyrel Reed is the epitome of what a Jayhawk basketball player is.

lee3022 2 years, 8 months ago

Tyrell is an asset to the Belgian team. From his comments it is a stepping stone to better leagues - perhaps in France or Italy, even better, in Spain.

Coach has a young, most untested and inexperienced team this year. Of course he is going to downplay it. That lowers expectations and allows the team to grow. It also makes him look really good when the team exceeds expectations. Earlier in the LJW coach described this team as having a chance to be even better than last year but that it would look entirely different.

It is my own thought that the entirely different refers to much better depth, speed and athleticism. This would lend itself to a running mentality and a pressing defense. Anyone else think this or differently?

Alex Berger 2 years, 8 months ago

Uh, positive karma from having a bird as a mascot? Someone may need to brush up on their Eastern religions...

Benjamin Piehler 2 years, 8 months ago

Great to see he's going to continue playing ball... he'll have an awesome time over there.

Gregor Southard 2 years, 8 months ago

Tony Bandle 2 years, 8 months ago

PS Tyrell,

You're married so you won't need this bit of information but Belgian girls are very pretty and very open-minded!!

Sam Constance 2 years, 8 months ago

So is this city in the French or Dutch part of Belgium?

By the way, Belgian beer is tops in the world. No other tradition comes close.

I must say, I'm a bit jealous of Mr. Reed.

overseashawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Jaybate you're forgetting Belgian beer! They have absolutely some of the best beers in the world.

Funhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Gefeliciteerd, Tyrel! Veel geluk!

Tony Bandle 2 years, 8 months ago

Is anyone having as much fun as me watching the Missouri basketball program twisting in the wind over the Frank Heath debacle???

William Blake 2 years, 8 months ago

Congrats to Tyrel! Belgium is a great country to live in.

REHawk 2 years, 8 months ago

I'm sticking with my previous prediction that Kevin Young and BenMac are going to develop into huge assets for the Jayhawks. Bill Self is a crafty diplomat. I think he is really excited about the possibilities for this squad. Texas is always going to be a contender for league honors. Baylor will host some fine talent. Gillispie and Kruger will pull a few rabbits from the proverbial hat. Mizzou a giant questionmark, what with solid returning talent but a coach already on the brink of dismissal. But none of those teams has Bill Self and his coaching/training staff to give them the winner's edge. The Jayhawks stand as good a chance to walk away with the league title as anyone. If Missouri had hired Gillispie or Kruger, or if Baylor or Texas had one of those two at the helm, we might be in for much more of a dogfight. Considering the coaching at most of the schools who have the talent to win it all, only A+M might rise to the occasion to give the Jayhawks a serious challenge by late Feb.; and they, too, are working under a new coach. Kansas will chalk up another Big 12 hoops title.

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 8 months ago

Belgian vs Turkey? Reed vs Collins? A van damme good match up.

bradynsdad 2 years, 8 months ago

When has Bill ever picked his own team to win anything? Never. He is always humble about his teams. Does anyone know if tyrell just got married or has he been married for a while? Maybe I just missed the story. Either way good luck. Tyrell has always represented everything you want in a ku player.

jhox 2 years, 8 months ago

I wouldn't pick us to win the Big 12, but I wouldn't bet against this group either. As good as the Morris twins were, I'm not sure either of them have the upside that Robinson has. More minutes for him will equate to huge numbers, especially rebounding. We have an experienced and ever maturing point guard back. I think people will be extremely surprised with what Releford does with extended playing time. I look for him to be one of our top scorers. I'm hearing very good things about McLemore. Add to this the fact that we have, far and away, the best coach in the conference, and I expect us to be right there in the mix for another Big 12 title.

hawksince51 2 years, 8 months ago

Stable country, I suppose. But the currency, not so much. Glad to see Reed is getting to play for pay somewhere. Good luck young fellow. I loved watching you play at KU.

justinryman 2 years, 8 months ago

Wonder where Vitale will pick us to finish this year? 7th? Maybe 6th.

Let me guess everyone is picking Texas and Rick Barnes to win it all? Yeah they may have the biggest names for talent, but they don't have a coach to coach them on how to win as a team.

With HCBS on KU's bench, KU will contend every year for the Big 12 title(as long as there is a Big 12 around), Look at all the talent he has lost year after year and look at all the players who step up for him and take charge of each team.

That's just one HUGE difference between Self and Barnes. Self is a winner. Barnes is a whiner.

KGphoto 2 years, 8 months ago

I'm really excited for this season. Kevin Young II is a player we don't see much around here, but any kid who can compete in college basketball with a frame like that has to have a little something extra in other departments. Maybe it's knowledge, maybe quicks. Maybe he's crafty or surprisingly tough and tenacious. Maybe he has a go-to shot that's tough to defend. I don't know but I always liked watching Reggie Miller for many of those reasons.

I just like that the team is going to look different.

David Brown 2 years, 8 months ago

Love Mr. Reed's practical outlook: "It’s not like I’m making NBA money."; “It is a stable country, stable team." Such a different viewpoint and more mature point of view. Guess millions of dollars and ESPN cameras will distort your senses if you're not careful. That's a lot for 20-somethings to digest. Best of luck Tyrel and keep shooting those three's!

Keith Richards 2 years, 8 months ago

What is the address of O'Neils blog?

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 8 months ago

Try the sprouts too! Isn't that where they originated?

jhawkrulz 2 years, 8 months ago

Have they ever picked us to win? I always hear this is the last year.

I'd be curious who have improved their team this year. We of course lost some quality players, but we had some good recruits come in.

I see a lot of teams in the Big XII that have not upgraded from last year.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Ditto on the waffles. And - they didn't pick us to win last year either.

s6u6r6f 2 years, 8 months ago

Try the waffles. And the chocolate. Seriously, the chocolate. And be sure to visit Bruges.

Rock chalk.

JJHAWK 2 years, 8 months ago

"Self said junior Kevin Young, a 6-8, 185-pound forward who played two seasons at Loyola Marymount, could prove to be the squad’s most important newcomer."

“I wouldn’t pick us to win, either,”

Wow - its really going to be an interesting year. But with Coach Self at the helm, I still like our chances.