Thursday, August 18, 2011

Tyrel Reed signs with Belgian team

Kansas guard Tyrel Reed drives against Boston University guard Darryl Partin during the first half on Friday, March 18, 2011 at the BOK Center in Tulsa.

Burlington native/Kansas University graduate Tyrel Reed will begin his professional basketball career far from home.

The 6-foot-3 combo guard on Wednesday agreed to a one-year contract with VOO Verviers-Pepinster, a member of the Ethias League in Verviers, Belgium. Terms were not disclosed.

“I’m just excited to begin this adventure,” said Reed, who along with wife Jessica, heads overseas this weekend for training camp and the start of a season that runs through May, 2012.

“It’s a great opportunity,” Reed added. “It’s not like I’m making NBA money. I don’t really know all the particulars (of salary). Regardless of money, I’m excited to know I will be able to play professional basketball. There are a lot of nerves right now. I guess you could say I’m a rookie not knowing what to expect over there — different language, different country, driving a stick shift. Little things you kind of worry about. You know basketball is still going to be the same.”

Reed noted that former KU/Gonzaga guard Micah Downs started his pro career with VOO Verviers-Pepinster. Americans currently on the team include former South Carolina guard Devan Downey, Richmond center Dan Geriot and Vanderbilt guard Jermaine Beal.

“It is a stable country, stable team. It’s a really good league,” Reed said. “There’s a lot of great basketball in Belgium. A lot of good players have played there and moved on to other jobs in Europe. I’m ready to make the most of it.”

He expects to be used at both shooting guard and point guard.

“I don’t think I’m set at anything. It’s kind of how KU is,” Reed said. “A guard is a guard, the one and the two. That’s the mind-set I’m going to have.”

There is some positive karma as he and his wife begin this new adventure.

“My team has a blue bird (as mascot). I don’t know what kind of bird it is,” he said with a laugh. “I don’t think it’s a Jayhawk, but like my sister said, maybe I’m stuck on teams that have birds as their mascot, I don’t know.”

Run done?

Most experts figure KU’s run of seven straight Big 12 titles will end this season.

“I wouldn’t pick us to win, either,” KU coach Bill Self said Wednesday in Dana O’Neil’s blog on ESPN.com. “I understand where that’s coming from. This is probably the most unpredictable season I’ve faced here.”

Self said junior Kevin Young, a 6-8, 185-pound forward who played two seasons at Loyola Marymount, could prove to be the squad’s most important newcomer. Young averaged 10.7 points and 5.3 boards his soph season at LMU.

“There would definitely be more of a concern if we didn’t get Kevin,’’ Self told ESPN. “He has a chance to be one of our better players, honestly.”

Comments

JJHAWK 3 years, 4 months ago

"Self said junior Kevin Young, a 6-8, 185-pound forward who played two seasons at Loyola Marymount, could prove to be the squad’s most important newcomer."

“I wouldn’t pick us to win, either,”

Wow - its really going to be an interesting year. But with Coach Self at the helm, I still like our chances.

s6u6r6f 3 years, 4 months ago

Try the waffles. And the chocolate. Seriously, the chocolate. And be sure to visit Bruges.

Rock chalk.

yates33333 3 years, 4 months ago

Also the mussels are great. Beware the drivers and how you shift some European cars. Get accustomed to the road signs and road markings.

jaybate 3 years, 4 months ago

Car--Must have. Lease a new Citroen Picasso diesel micro van. Space for a big guy and for luggage, groceries and road trips. Right price. Great mileage for it's size. Diesel is way cheaper per liter. Else go BMW 3 series diesel awd for a sedan. It snows in northern Europe. Mass transit is great, but there is no substitute for your own wheels.

Food--think heavy French with more cream sauces. Easy to get fat on, if you eat American size helpings. At it's best, it is the best cooking in Europe, but don't tell the French!

GPS--absolute must and it has to be loaded with maps for each country you plan to drive in. My Garmin hand held worked great. But you still need a hard copy Michellin road atlas to complement. But an iPhone GPS could work, too.

Cell phone--you will have to get one there. Your American phone won't work.

Electronic gear--USA plugs won't work without voltage converter and adapter. Buy new toys in Belgium, if you can. Converters are a hassle to live with at home and on road.

Language--start studying Flemmish, or French now. Learning the language will guaranty you will be very happy there.

Bike--get good city bike. Cycling is one of the best ways to get about, because of flat topo and closeness of things.

Rick Steves--get his books for countries you plan to operate in. Also, immediately buy and read his Europe 101. It is applied history. It will nutshell euro history faster and better than any academic book.

Belgium is an awesome place on it own, plus a great springboard beyond.

Always say Eddie Merxx is one of your heroes.

Drivers--mostly good drivers, but tailgating prior to passing is considered proper etiquette. You quickly get used to it.

Parking--where ever you live, a garage is vital. Trade off rooms and square feet to get a garage!

omng392 3 years, 4 months ago

That's awesome!! Eddie Merxx... Right behind all of my jayhawk basketball heros and Lance Armstrong stands good ole Eddie Merxx. But yes, if I had to pick a Belgium hero it would be Eddie until Tyrel plays a year there and then its definitely Tyrel...

Go see the Tour de France Tyrel... It is something you have to see once

omng392 3 years, 4 months ago

Go see the Tour de France Tyrel... It is something you have to see once

FarneyMac 3 years, 3 months ago

Yes, I'm sure a guy in his early 20s playing pro basketball wants to drive a diesel van. Great advice.

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

Ditto on the waffles. And - they didn't pick us to win last year either.

jhawkrulz 3 years, 4 months ago

Have they ever picked us to win? I always hear this is the last year.

I'd be curious who have improved their team this year. We of course lost some quality players, but we had some good recruits come in.

I see a lot of teams in the Big XII that have not upgraded from last year.

Martin Rosenblum 3 years, 4 months ago

Try the sprouts too! Isn't that where they originated?

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

"Belgian" sprouts ? Maybe you're thinking of "Brussells"! Doesn't matter, neither one of them goes with ribs.

kureader 3 years, 4 months ago

haha But, there won't be any ribs in Belgium ... unless, maybe lamb.

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

memhawk - my apologies. You were at least a couple of steps ahead of me on that one. It took a few cups of coffee to help me think straight.

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

Hence my apology to memhawk directly above your reply !!

Martin Rosenblum 3 years, 4 months ago

Wow, Six replies to a post about brussell sprouts.......slow news day!

David Brown 3 years, 4 months ago

Love Mr. Reed's practical outlook: "It’s not like I’m making NBA money."; “It is a stable country, stable team." Such a different viewpoint and more mature point of view. Guess millions of dollars and ESPN cameras will distort your senses if you're not careful. That's a lot for 20-somethings to digest. Best of luck Tyrel and keep shooting those three's!

KGphoto 3 years, 4 months ago

I'm really excited for this season. Kevin Young II is a player we don't see much around here, but any kid who can compete in college basketball with a frame like that has to have a little something extra in other departments. Maybe it's knowledge, maybe quicks. Maybe he's crafty or surprisingly tough and tenacious. Maybe he has a go-to shot that's tough to defend. I don't know but I always liked watching Reggie Miller for many of those reasons.

I just like that the team is going to look different.

justinryman 3 years, 4 months ago

Wonder where Vitale will pick us to finish this year? 7th? Maybe 6th.

Let me guess everyone is picking Texas and Rick Barnes to win it all? Yeah they may have the biggest names for talent, but they don't have a coach to coach them on how to win as a team.

With HCBS on KU's bench, KU will contend every year for the Big 12 title(as long as there is a Big 12 around), Look at all the talent he has lost year after year and look at all the players who step up for him and take charge of each team.

That's just one HUGE difference between Self and Barnes. Self is a winner. Barnes is a whiner.

KUbsee69 3 years, 4 months ago

Actually, Vitale has KU picked the highest (#15) of any Big XII team in his preseason top 40. He has Baylor second (#16). followed by MU (#19), Texas A&M (#22) and Texas (#25).

I guess this would imply that he's picked KU to win the Big XII this year ... hopefully not a jinx.

justinryman 3 years, 4 months ago

I guess he learned his lesson the hard way last year being humbled by his ridiculous pick of KU at #5 in the Big 12.

But it was great bulletin board material!!!

honk_for_hawks 3 years, 4 months ago

I haven't seen any team get consistently picked to win the conference. Some people are picking KU cause its KU and you don't bet against self, some are picking MU cause they returned everybody from a solid team last year, some are picking Baylor because they arguably have the most talented team (but no PG), and some are picking Texas. I really don't think there is a favorite right now because no one hit any recruiting home runs. I'd have no problem with picking mizzou if andersen was still there, but haith is just a bad coach. If I had to make a pick, I'd go with Baylor because I think losing Dunn will be addition by subtraction, but I hope we win it.

hawksince51 3 years, 4 months ago

Stable country, I suppose. But the currency, not so much. Glad to see Reed is getting to play for pay somewhere. Good luck young fellow. I loved watching you play at KU.

jhox 3 years, 4 months ago

I wouldn't pick us to win the Big 12, but I wouldn't bet against this group either. As good as the Morris twins were, I'm not sure either of them have the upside that Robinson has. More minutes for him will equate to huge numbers, especially rebounding. We have an experienced and ever maturing point guard back. I think people will be extremely surprised with what Releford does with extended playing time. I look for him to be one of our top scorers. I'm hearing very good things about McLemore. Add to this the fact that we have, far and away, the best coach in the conference, and I expect us to be right there in the mix for another Big 12 title.

hawksince51 3 years, 4 months ago

Agree, and I would add that EJ should also be a significant contributor. The biggest unknown to me is our frontline rotation other than TRob. It will be an interesting year.

James Miller 3 years, 4 months ago

I would compare this to the year it was Sherron, Cole and everyone else. This is going to be TT and T-Rob with contributions from others. I know some will disagree with what I am about to say, but I do not think TT is as selfish as Sherron, and I think that will make the difference. I think TT will make Releford and the bigs better players. I loved the way he played towards the end of the year. No one could keep him out of the paint. He claims an injury kept him from shooting better. If that is true, and he is able to keep defenders honest, we could be looking really nice.

bradynsdad 3 years, 4 months ago

When has Bill ever picked his own team to win anything? Never. He is always humble about his teams. Does anyone know if tyrell just got married or has he been married for a while? Maybe I just missed the story. Either way good luck. Tyrell has always represented everything you want in a ku player.

TwinCitiesJHawk 3 years, 4 months ago

+1... and Tyrel just got married a month or 2 ago, to Darell Stucky's sister if I remember correctly

Scott Murphy 3 years, 4 months ago

I think you have that backwards, Stuckey married Tyrel's sister.

TwinCitiesJHawk 3 years, 4 months ago

ah yes you're right! I knew Stucky was involed some how some way, hah. thanks for the correction.

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 4 months ago

Belgian vs Turkey? Reed vs Collins? A van damme good match up.

Tony Bandle 3 years, 4 months ago

Head to head, Reed wins on the court, Sherron wins on the buffet line.

[Only kidding...hope they both find great success in Europe!!]

REHawk 3 years, 4 months ago

I'm sticking with my previous prediction that Kevin Young and BenMac are going to develop into huge assets for the Jayhawks. Bill Self is a crafty diplomat. I think he is really excited about the possibilities for this squad. Texas is always going to be a contender for league honors. Baylor will host some fine talent. Gillispie and Kruger will pull a few rabbits from the proverbial hat. Mizzou a giant questionmark, what with solid returning talent but a coach already on the brink of dismissal. But none of those teams has Bill Self and his coaching/training staff to give them the winner's edge. The Jayhawks stand as good a chance to walk away with the league title as anyone. If Missouri had hired Gillispie or Kruger, or if Baylor or Texas had one of those two at the helm, we might be in for much more of a dogfight. Considering the coaching at most of the schools who have the talent to win it all, only A+M might rise to the occasion to give the Jayhawks a serious challenge by late Feb.; and they, too, are working under a new coach. Kansas will chalk up another Big 12 hoops title.

Alohahawk 3 years, 4 months ago

Pretty much agree with your thoughts on where the teams stand, with two question marks: Texas lost a lot and I think their success will hinge on how much Barnes lets Jocovan (sp) Brown shoot. Seems he always shoots lights out against KU. And Iowa State, which nobody has given much thought to, yet has numerous transfers who have been practicing and sitting for a year. I think they are going to surprise a lot of the experts.

If Self gets these new guys to gel quickly (I see some early losses with our difficult early schedule), and with the Big 12 minus 2 being down this year, I think the Hawks will challenge for conference title. It could be a four team fight for conference champs: KU, Baylor, Texas and Iowa State. Missery and Texas A&M questionable due to new coaches. Losers bracket: K State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and Texas Tech. With every team now playing everyone twice, there is no longer a home court advantage.

Only a couple months left till basketball season. And for those football fans who frequent this basketball board, congratulations. The football season is all but here. RCJHGKU!!!

Tony Bandle 3 years, 4 months ago

Is anyone having as much fun as me watching the Missouri basketball program twisting in the wind over the Frank Heath debacle???

justinryman 3 years, 4 months ago

MU should fire him just on the fact that he still couldn't win with all the illegal recruiting going on. Talk abut over paying bad talent.

overseashawk 3 years, 4 months ago

Jaybate you're forgetting Belgian beer! They have absolutely some of the best beers in the world.

kureader 3 years, 4 months ago

... and they'll have one each day ... with lunch. ... two on Friday.

jaybate 3 years, 4 months ago

Yes, yes, you are so right. Thanks. They also have produced some of great designers over the years and Antwerp is a great city, too.

Sam Constance 3 years, 4 months ago

So is this city in the French or Dutch part of Belgium?

By the way, Belgian beer is tops in the world. No other tradition comes close.

I must say, I'm a bit jealous of Mr. Reed.

Tony Bandle 3 years, 4 months ago

PS Tyrell,

You're married so you won't need this bit of information but Belgian girls are very pretty and very open-minded!!

Gregor Southard 3 years, 4 months ago

Benjamin Piehler 3 years, 4 months ago

Great to see he's going to continue playing ball... he'll have an awesome time over there.

Alex Berger 3 years, 4 months ago

Uh, positive karma from having a bird as a mascot? Someone may need to brush up on their Eastern religions...

lee3022 3 years, 4 months ago

Tyrell is an asset to the Belgian team. From his comments it is a stepping stone to better leagues - perhaps in France or Italy, even better, in Spain.

Coach has a young, most untested and inexperienced team this year. Of course he is going to downplay it. That lowers expectations and allows the team to grow. It also makes him look really good when the team exceeds expectations. Earlier in the LJW coach described this team as having a chance to be even better than last year but that it would look entirely different.

It is my own thought that the entirely different refers to much better depth, speed and athleticism. This would lend itself to a running mentality and a pressing defense. Anyone else think this or differently?

Mark Wooden 3 years, 4 months ago

Looks like I will follow the Belgian League. Tyrel Reed is the epitome of what a Jayhawk basketball player is.

Jeeveshawk 3 years, 4 months ago

I am not worried about us not winning the B12 this year. It seam that every year we are predicted not to win and every year we end up winning. With the talents of Robinson, Johnson, McLemore, and Taylor and with Self coaching us, we will be a formidalble team by the time of conference play

eastTXjayhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

Maybe he can be a direct source for the tasty Westvleteren 12's...but I don't want to seem like I'm a chooser (cuz I am a beggar) so I'd graciously accept an 8 or a 6.

And I'd much rather play basketball to get this delicious nectar than be a Monk, or even a basketball playing Monk.