Monday, August 15, 2011

KU faculty line up seats for basketball games

Audio clip

KU faculty pick basketball seats

photo

Kansas University faculty await the opening of Sunday's annual seat picking process at Allen Fieldhouse. Which order faculty pick seats is based entirely on seniority.

photo

Allan Hanson, a Kansas University anthropology professor, now knows exactly how long he’s worked for KU: 45.205479452 years, according to his seating sheet.

At the KU men’s basketball “select-a-seat” event for faculty, every billionth of a second counts.

Hanson, the 11th-most tenured faculty at the event, was joined by his son, George, and grandson, Jack, who will share the two seats in the faculty section of Allen Fieldhouse throughout the year.

The family has been picking seats for about five years, and Jack said Grandpa got it right.

“They’re in a great place,” Jack said.

Based entirely on years of service, faculty hopped up one at a time for their chance to pick seats for the coming basketball season.

The mostly gray-haired crowd strategized while waiting for their names to be called.

“Walk in and drop your butt in the first seat,” said one seat-selector who likes to keep it simple. Unfortunately, renovations for the fieldhouse kept the seat-selectors from actually seeing their seat, and they were left to choose from printed out seat section guides.

And everyone kept a close eye to make sure the process was fair.

When a rather large, muscular man shot to the booth after a “Mary” was called up, the man quickly assured onlookers he was picking up seats for a family member, which is allowed.

David Crisp was happy to help out and pick seats for his sister, who was busy at church. Crisp made sure his sister, with 42 years of service behind her, had a good spot.

The perfect seat? In the corner by the KU team, Crisp said.

“You don’t have people blocking you,” said Crisp, who’s been choosing seats for years.

He smiled when asked whether he’ll benefit from all the years his sister has worked at KU.

“I’ll probably get the Missouri tickets,” Crisp said.

Comments

tauck 2 years, 8 months ago

Tell me that guy isn't Mark Mangino!!!!

bangaranggerg 2 years, 8 months ago

I'd rather they just pay the faculty more rather then just giving them the best seats just so they can ebay or scalp in order to suplement their income. Or are they still doing the faculty tickets tied to faculty identification? Strange that the athletics department had so much control in place to keep that in check during the same few years that they were sneaking millions of dollars in tickets out the back door. Sorry, I'm just upset about how many more seats were spoken for by my selection time this morning then last year, where did they go!

FoCoCoHawk 2 years, 8 months ago

If only we could get as excited about the recruitment of new academicians into the KU programs as we do when speculating about 16 year olds with killer jumpshots.

kckmedic 2 years, 8 months ago

I don't have a problem with the faculty basketball seating but I want to make two points regarding DrJHawk, Purposive, and others' comments. A report was released when I was at KU that showed that a large number of KU professors do not work for short pay compared to the rest of the work force. And while the majority of my professors were great, academia will never get the respect for which it begs until they allow the evaluation process to eliminate the handful of horrible professors that are protected by tenure. There were a few that I had that were worthless way before I got there but students knew that their evaluations were pointless. But I guess academia doesn't mind protecting bad professors. They're more important than the students who are paying $20k or more a year to go to school.

jaybate 2 years, 8 months ago

Well, reading Americans bashing Americans over profs salaries and benefits, while the owners of the central bank jack hundreds of trillions of dollars and eventually jack the public lands for themselves too is just appalling.

LAJayhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

It's fun to attend, support and spend money with a public institution, then complain about the people that work for them. That's not antithetical at all!

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 8 months ago

What! I have to meet a guy wearing a trench coat in a dark alley to get my tickets.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 8 months ago

Purposive

My wife is a third grade teacher in a public school with a classroon full of kids whose mental and emotional problems will never let them get near a college professor. I suggest that every college professor go back and teach a semester of third grade in a public school and then thank their lucky stars that is not what they have to do for a living.

And you sound like you know nothing about reality!!

BewareOfThePhogOnTheWater 2 years, 8 months ago

Staff and faculty members pay for their tickets. The only "perk" is that they don't have to contribute to the WEF. Their service is their "contribution," as it should be. Further, they pay the same price for those tickets everyone else pays. Before espousing vile and hatred, get the facts. Otherwise, if you don't have something nice to say, it is better to say nothing at all. Incidentally, I am NOT a staff or faculty member. I am a WEF member.

bhol 2 years, 8 months ago

Love Dr. Hanson! My favorite professor during my time at KU.

Orangedog87 2 years, 8 months ago

Gotta love a govt employee!!! They never get angry or threaten to abuse their power. And best of all, it looks like they are keeping the food and beveage industry in business.

Frankenhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

I guess the $100K salaries, top of the line pension, and summers off aren't enough. Yes, government workers deserve more!

Gary McCullough 2 years, 8 months ago

The faculty and staff at KU work hard and are the backbone of the University. Long hours and short pay are only partly compensated by the opportunity for some to get basketball tickets ahead of the masses. Don't begrudge these "true and faithful servants" a small token of appreciation. OR I'LL GO BACK INTO THE RECORDS, CHANGE ALL YOUR GRADES TO FAILING, AND REVOKE YOUR DEGREE!

Orangedog87 2 years, 8 months ago

Gotta love those government benefits!!!!!!

Tony Bandle 2 years, 8 months ago

I pity the fan that gets a seat behind the guy in the picture above, much less the seats on either side!! :)

IrishDaddy 2 years, 8 months ago

from the photo, I'd say that much more walking, and much less sitting is called for.