Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Matt Tait’s KU football notebook

DE Pat Lewandowski to miss 2-3 weeks

DE to miss 2-3 weeks

Kansas defensive end Pat Lewandowski will miss two to three weeks because of a leg injury, according to head football coach Turner Gill.

Lewandowski, a red-shirt freshman from Blue Valley West High in Overland Park, had a fantastic spring. Most of that time was spent at defensive tackle, where the coaches moved him in hopes of providing depth on the inside. At the end of the spring, Lewandowski was shifted back to his original position, a move that Gill said was made because he believed it better fit Lewandowski’s strengths and size.

Lewandowski finished the spring second on KU’s depth chart at defensive end, behind sophomore starter Keba Agostinho and on the opposite side of junior Toben Opurum.

McDougald put on watch list

KU junior Bradley McDougald, a Dublin, Ohio native who played his first two seasons at KU at wide receiver but was shifted — for good — to safety during the final couple of weeks of the 2010 season, was one of 50 players named to the Paul Hornung Award Watch List by the Louisville Sports Commission on Monday.

The award, given annually to the most versatile player in college football, was named for legendary Notre Dame quarterback Paul Hornung, who won the 1956 Heisman Trophy and played both offense and defense at Notre Dame.

McDougald is the only safety on the list.

Comments

jhox 2 years, 11 months ago

Does anyone know the latest on Berglund? Is he back in Lawrence and practicing with the team? Maybe I've missed it, but I don't recall seeing any updates on that situation.

rob4lb 2 years, 11 months ago

LJW said he showed up for the first day of practice last week but had to go back to Colorado to handle some legal problems the next day which would have been Thursday. I'm not sure if he is still there or has since returned. I think a redshirt would be best for Berglund and the team who seems to have coalesced around Jordan Webb.

Dirk Medema 2 years, 11 months ago

He reported Wednesday (1 of the first 2 in), practiced Thursday, and missed Friday.

Dyrk Dugan 2 years, 11 months ago

there has been no report that he's back. again, he's either negotiating a plea bargain, or there will be new charges. no way he goes back AFTER the start of practice for anything else....like addl. questions or what not. the incident occurred four months ago.....a fight over the girlfriend...this is not some embezzling scheme.

i expect an announcement in the next 24 hours...from either KU football or the Berglands themselves...because this kid needs to be practicing with his new team.

rastameta 2 years, 11 months ago

He's been back for a couple of days already.

Keith Hummel 2 years, 11 months ago

It amazes me how folks are so infatuated with Berglund. Losing Lewandowski for the remainder of training camp is HUGE news, yet all anyone wants to talk about is a freshman QB who has attended all of 2 practices and doesn't have a prayer of playing this year. He wasn't even mentioned in this article. Can we stop obsessing over BB and focus on something salient, like the increasing lack of depth on our DL?

KCHawk81 2 years, 11 months ago

Losing Lewandowski for a few weeks hurts, but we do have some (unproven) depth at DE. Kevin Young is expected to contribute this year, as is Tyrone Sellers. You hate for a young player to miss training camp, but those other guys will get some additional reps. Arps and Green should give some solid competition for the back-up spot as well. They're young, but so is Lewandowski.

kranny 2 years, 11 months ago

I thought Young was moved to D-line?

kranny 2 years, 11 months ago

Meant Def. tackle in previous post.

KCHawk81 2 years, 11 months ago

He was--but if we switch to a 3-4 base, I expect a couple of the DTs to move outside. Young was recruited as a D-end, so he may have less to pick up than others.

jhox 2 years, 11 months ago

Quarterback is the single most important position in football, and the single most important position in all of sports for that matter. I've seen nothing from Webb to suggest he's the long term answer. I hope I'm wrong about him. I'd love to see him become a star but, thus far, he's not shown he has the skill to make that happen.

Berglund may turn out to be a bust, he's the most physically gifted guy we have at the position. If Webb fails, I'd like to see Berglund ready to step in.at some point this season, and get a little experience.

I don't see why someone would need to defend a question about the most talented guy at the most important position on the team. I just found it odd that he went home, yet we hadn't heard any updates.

Channel 41 did indicate tonight that his is, in fact, back practicing.

texashawk10 2 years, 11 months ago

Hey Matt, do you know what the depth chart at DE looks like right now? Is the Rivals article about Toben moving back to OLB true or is he still at DE?

Keith Hummel 2 years, 11 months ago

This is a bit out of date, but here is a nifty graphic showing the depth chart on defense as of May this year:

I guess my question is, assuming Agostinho starts at DE on that side, who would slide into Lewandowski's spot as backup for the start of the season? The way Lewandowski was progressing I wouldn't have been surprised if he started the year as our starting DE on that side, but that's obviously not going to happen now.

It feels like we have a decent, maybe even good starting DL, but I'm concerned about what happens when injuries start to kick in (like they already have).

vd 2 years, 11 months ago

Losing DJ doesn't help with the depth either. I can't understand why he would go through spring ball and then quit.

Keith Hummel 2 years, 11 months ago

I hear what your saying, but I wouldn't use the word "quit" to describe any cancer survivor (or someone in remission), especially not D.J. Marshall.

We don't know the specifics of D.J.'s situation, but treatment for hodgkin's lymphoma can have lots of long-term side-effects. For example, long-term or permanent damage to his respiratory system could have left him with compromised lung capacity. But that's just one possibility. Any number of lingering effects could have hampered his ability to play football at the highest level.

I too wonder about the specifics, but I would never question his effort or his decision.

Randy Bombardier 2 years, 11 months ago

Congrads to McDougald. What we need are linemen who can play both sides of the ball.

Lance Cheney 2 years, 11 months ago

What we need are linemen that can play their own side of the ball first. Then we'll worry about them switching over.

Chris Bailey 2 years, 11 months ago

Matt Tait,

Can you please let us know if Burgland is back? That way we can put the discussion to bed! Way to go McDougald! I can't wait for the season to start! Rock Chalk!

rastameta 2 years, 11 months ago

He's been back for a couple of days already.

rastameta 2 years, 11 months ago

He's been back for a couple of days already.

jhawkrulz 2 years, 11 months ago

Can't you actually give us some news? We get a list of one injury and a list of one person on a watch list.

This is prime football season time, and there should be a lot more news than this.