Originally published August 4, 2011 at 01:04p.m., updated August 5, 2011 at 12:19a.m.

KU men’s basketball to play Georgetown in first game of Maui Invitational

Kansas University coach Bill Self speaks with media members after arriving at the Renaissance Hotel in Tulsa, Okla.

Kansas University’s basketball team will play Georgetown in a first-round Maui Invitational contest at 11 p.m. Central time Monday, Nov. 21, at Lahaina Civic Center, ESPN announced Thursday.

The Jayhawks would face UCLA or Chaminade in either a winner’s bracket or loser’s bracket game on the following day. Other first-round games match Duke against Tennessee and Michigan versus Memphis.

“The Maui field is good every year, but this year it’s exceptional,” KU coach Bill Self said Thursday — a day that also included the release of KU’s Big 12 Conference slate of games. “We play Georgetown. Their style is totally different. The rest of the field — with UCLA and Chaminade on our side and, with Duke, Tennessee, Michigan and Memphis — certainly makes for the best field any tournament will have this year.”

Several national pundits have said ESPN would love a KU-Duke matchup in the Maui final.

“The field is ridiculous,” said Larry Keating, KU special assistant to the athletic director in charge of scheduling. “It’s been called the toughest field the tournament has had. Bill and I talked about it a number of times. There’s no easy game here.

“Chaminade is considered the only easy game, and even that’s always a risk,” Keating added, well aware the NCAA Div. II school beat Oklahoma last year.

As far as the Big 12 schedule, the Jayhawks will open against Kansas State on Jan. 4 in Allen Fieldhouse. After that, KU plays at Oklahoma and Texas Tech before returning home to face Iowa State and Baylor.

KU and Texas, the two winningest programs in Big 12 history, will meet twice in the regular season for the first time — at 3 p.m. Jan. 21 in Austin on CBS, and at 8 p.m. March 3 in Allen Fieldhouse on ESPN.

ESPN has yet to announce its College Gameday schedule this season. KU currently has a pair of night games on Saturdays on ESPN — Feb. 4 at Missouri, to go with the UT game.

“I believe this is the hardest schedule we have played since I've been here,” ninth-year KU coach Self said. “Our strength of schedule and RPI have been in the top 10 almost yearly, but this will be the hardest schedule not only because of Kentucky (Nov. 15 in New York), the three games in Maui, South Florida (Dec. 3, Allen), Ohio State (Dec. 10, Allen), Long Beach State (Dec. 6, Allen), Davidson (Dec. 19, Sprint Center) and USC (Dec. 22 in Los Angeles), but on top of that you play everyone in the Big 12 twice, which makes the league that much harder.”

Of the schedule, Keating said: “I like it. Obviously, it’s difficult. It sort of evolved on us. We’d committed to Maui years ago. Then a chance to play in the Champions Classic (vs. Kentucky this year) came up. To go right to Maui theoretically gives you four big games in a row. We had the opportunity to play Ohio State after talking to them over the years. It sort of all fell into place. The thing is ... the guarantee games are good games — Long Beach State and Florida Atlantic won their leagues last year. We play South Florida, USC. These are all good teams.”

Self, indeed, is willing to take on all comers.

“We know that this is going to be a young team, much like that team was the year after we won the national championship,” Self said. “We know we’re going to have to grow up fast but this should be a great way to force us to do so.”

Schedule notes

Georgetown finished the 2010-11 season with a 21-11 record and advanced to the NCAAs for the fifth time in seven years under coach John Thompson III. The Hoyas went 10-8 in Big East games. Georgetown loses standouts Chris Wright and Austin Freeman ... KU’s schedule features at least 11 games against teams that played in last year’s NCAA Tournament and at least 19 games against schools that were in the top-100 of last year’s RPI rankings. ... KU will play two games on CBS and 21 games on the ESPN family of networks, which include four Big Monday appearances and two ESPN Saturday prime-time games. ... Four KU games will air on the Big 12 Network, while three will be shown on the in-state Jayhawk Television Network. The Big 12 Network and JTV contests will be available nationally on ESPN's Full Court package. ... KU's ESPN Big Monday contests will be Jan. 16 against Baylor, Jan. 23 against Texas A&M;, Feb. 13 at Kansas State and Feb. 27 at Oklahoma State. ... KU will play 24 games against schools from BCS conferences — two from the Big East, one from the Big Ten, one from the SEC, one from the Pac 12, one yet to be determined in the Maui Classic and 18 from the Big 12. ... Kentucky leads the all-time series against KU, 19-6. KU has won three in a row versus UK. ... KU is the only school in the Big 12 to have a winning series record against every conference team in men's basketball.

Comments

Jabez Harlan 8 years, 4 months ago

I am really excited about the matchup with Georgetown. I am glad we don't have to face Chaminade in the first round, hope they get beat early so we never have to play them. Playing them win or lose would hurt RPI.

When is the last time KU played Georgetown? Can't wait to feast on some Big East Hoyas!!

Jesse Newell 8 years, 4 months ago

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, I don't think non-Division I games factor into the RPI.

Jabez Harlan 8 years, 4 months ago

You are most likely right Jesse. I guess I would rather play a div 1 team though instead of having to play Chaminade.

ohjayhawk 8 years, 4 months ago

Bill - It appears (according to last year's media guide) we have only played Georgetown once before. It was a 70-57 loss in the Southeast Regional Semifinals in Louisville, KY on 3/19/87.

Rock_Chalk_NYC 8 years, 4 months ago

Thanks... I've been wondering that for years! Good friend out here is a Town alumnus and we never knew. Revenge in Maui, lol!

tis4tim 8 years, 4 months ago

Unless I'm mistaken, had Davidson not knocked off G'Town in the 2008 NCAA tourney, we might have also had a run-in with them in the Elite Eight during our championship season.

I'm sort of glad things turned out as they did though!

nuleafjhawk 8 years, 4 months ago

Dang it FarSide - I've been thinking for HOURS for a comment like that !! Well done sir. (applause.....)

Steve Kubler 8 years, 4 months ago

Nice bracket, should provide a challenge and give us a good look at this years teams ability. Would love a puke matchup that early in the year!

hawksfan08 8 years, 4 months ago

Well we definitely got the easier side of the bracket here. Not to say we're guaranteed to beat any of those teams.

justanotherfan 8 years, 4 months ago

Organizers clearly angling for a Duke vs. KU or UCLA final. That KU-UCLA potential semifinal looks pretty juicy as well. A possible Memphis-Tennessee second round matchup could be intense. This is a very good Maui field overall.

Marcia Parsons 8 years, 4 months ago

Do you suppose Howland is still mad at us?

phi4life940 8 years, 4 months ago

He's for sure still mad at Mario Little! haha (was it UCLA last year when we won off Mario's free throw in the last second???)

lee3022 8 years, 4 months ago

The opportunities available this season to play the top teams in the country (maybe except UNC) are terrific. Even if they are not all wins the team will grow from this schedule and become tougher for conference schedule and beyond. The RPI for Duke is very high as well with Ohio State and Michigan State as well as here. A win over Duke will vault us into the top 10 but as young as this team is, it may take some losses in gelling.

GeoHawk15 8 years, 4 months ago

Having grown up in a Georgetown household and being a KU alum, I'm excited to be in Maui for this game. My dad asked me who I'd be rooting for and I said Rock Chalk!

Mike Kendall 8 years, 4 months ago

God, I hate to look ahead, but would love a KU/Duke Final. I am excited about the Georgetown match up. It is an 11 pm CST start. Those Jayhawks on the East coast---wow, it will be a late night. Alohajayhawk---KU will practically be in your backyard. Planning on going to any of the games?

Rock Chalk, baby!

Morri1314 8 years, 4 months ago

Actually, this article is incorrect. According to the schedule that the LJW just posted, they actually play TOWSON in the Maui Invite before they play Georgetown. I think that they should have extended the Maui Invite to early September and played some games in Madison Square Garden, some in KC, some in LA, and some in Alaska. Then after Hawaii they could go to the Caribbean.

It is funny what is done because of the rules. They should have a rule that no regular season games should be televised on CBS. Those are the only games that one can't find nationally. I'm too old to spend time in a bar at noon on Sat.

Ron Prichard 8 years, 4 months ago

Actually, both are correct. It looks like there are actually 12 teams in the Maui Invitational, but only 8 will play in Hawaii. Towson, UNCG, Belmont & Middle Tenn. St. play the four premier schools a week before they travel to Hawaii. However, win or lose, those four teams (Towson, etc) will not be going to Hawaii, but will then play each other in Tennessee while the big boys play in Hawaii. Kind of a strange format.

HawkKlaw 8 years, 4 months ago

My b-day is on March 3. Looks like I'll be at AFH watching KU slaughter UT. I love having a b-day during KU's baskeball season. A couple years ago my present was going to AFH to watch Sherron Collins' senior night vs. KSU. That was the loudest I've ever heard it get in the Fieldhouse.

Scott Oswalt 8 years, 4 months ago

Ya, mine is March 1st and KU vs. KSU (in AFH) usually falls on that date. I LOVE IT!

jaybate 8 years, 4 months ago

Gee, I wonder if the Georgetown game will be grind it out?

jaybate 8 years, 4 months ago

Have you heard about the new statue at Georgetown commemorating John Thompson Ver. 1.0?

Its animatronic.

He sits on a bench, and repeatedly jumps up and shouts, "Foul them harder!"

jaybate 8 years, 4 months ago

John Thompson Ver. 2.0's system might be called "Princeton on Crack."

Everyone hustles around looking angry for a fix.

jaybate 8 years, 4 months ago

"Semiotic This, Okay?"

Georgetown vs. Kansas is a dream match up in Marvel Comics.

A clear villain from a big city buckling under a wave of oligarchic crime squaring off against a hero from a wheat field.

WHAM!

POW!

SHHHHHPLATTT!

Old Burt Ward Kind of Robin (Joe Dooley): "Holy XTReme Basketball, Bat Man, we have to play the forces of darkness, when we're rebuilding?!!!!!!!!"

Old Adam West Kind of Batman (Bill Self): "To the Bat Poles, Robin, we've not a second to lose. We must Hudy-ize the slender and teach the young to man-up in Gotham City's sacred paint."

Enter Old Julie Newmar kind of Cat Woman (Andrea Hudy): "Purrrrrrrrfect, Batman, bring the young boys that must be made into men immediately, before I slice both of you both to pieces with my cat claws. In the day time I am a scholar and an expert and an Associate Dean. But at night, I stalk the weak and high in body fat and eliminate them as a cat eliminates prey."

(Cue the theme song from the original Batman TV show.)

Enter New Christian Bale Kind of Batman (Thomas Robinson): "I don't know whether to kill all of you for talking me into waiting a year to go pro, or kick ass and take names later as only I can do."

Enter New Robin (Tyshawn Taylor): Yo, Batmofo, listen up! I may be little Robin in this jaybate schtick, but I'm the Senior and the leadership brain of this outfit. When Georgetown comes to town, we take them doooooow! Until then, we listen up to Batman 1.0, Robin 1.0, and we lift whatever Catwoman 1.0 wants us to. Copy and paste.

New Christian Bale Kind of Batman (TRob) turns around and picks up one live weight station in one hand and another live weight station in another hand and bends them around into a sculpture that looks like John Thompson Version 2.0 bent over, then throws the scupture through a wall of the practice facility.

New Christian Bale Kind of Batman (TRob): "You mean like that, Robbo?"

New Robin (Tyshawn in more than a little awe): "Yea, like that Dr. Zazz.

Enter New Not the Ann What's Her Name Kind of Cat Woman (Beyonce): Call me Sasha Fierce, cuz I won't take anything less than a forearm smashing win against those Hoya boys.

Cue "Best Thing I Never Had."

kerbyd 8 years, 4 months ago

Off subject but thought some of you might like to know. Just read about Eric Katenda, from Wichita. A forward who was recruited by Notre Dame, was blinded in one eye in a freak accident while -playing b-ball. Not sure he'll be able to play D-1 ball.

jaybate 8 years, 4 months ago

Wheaties. Eat lots of Wheaties between now and Hawaii.

Then eat lots of doughy bread stuffed with coconut.

AndOne 8 years, 4 months ago

Wow. We could play Kentucky, Georgetown, UCLA and Duke in an eight-day stretch in November. Sounds more like a March-April tournament run!

Regarding the last sentence - only one team COULD have a winning record against every other team in the conference. It is cool that it is KU.

RockChalk26 8 years, 4 months ago

Has anyone heard about Kaleb's announcement? I read somewhere that he was going to announce his decision a few days ago but I have heard anything yet.

AZHawk72 8 years, 4 months ago

We are only talking to guards 6-2 or under at this point. Don't ask me why--it's just all we are interested in at this point.

REHawk 8 years, 4 months ago

WOW+1! That 8 day stretch in November could be absolutely awesome. Especially if our guys get themselves ready to lurch from the gate. A word to all incoming Jayhawks: Get with that Catwoman trainer to prepare yourselves for some brutal November challenges. This team needs to race to the tape right from Midnight Madness and Day 1. Mr. Withey, we are counting on you to be prepared to show Best of Stuff this season. How about a single game KU blocks record at Maui?

Michael Pannacciulli 8 years, 4 months ago

yowza...i may need to consider taking a vacation day that Tuesday. 11CST tip off time here in NJ is rough. However, this is an awesome match. I'm psyched. a few match-ups like this and a solid Big 12 season, we will have seen some real action heading into March.