Originally published August 4, 2011 at 11:18a.m., updated August 4, 2011 at 01:16p.m.

KU men’s basketball opens with K-State in 2011-12 conference slate; Self calls sked toughest he’s had at KU

Kansas fans reach out to forward Thomas Robinson as he leaves the court following the Jayhawks' 90-66 win over Kansas State during the second half on Saturday, Jan. 29, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse. Robinson scored 17 points in his return to the Fieldhouse after Thursday's funeral for his mother, Lisa Robinson, who died last Friday of a heart attack.

The Kansas men's basketball team will open the new 18-game Big 12 slate with a home game against Kansas State on Jan. 4.

The conference released the league slate on Thursday morning.

Some other games of note: KU will play at Texas on Saturday, Jan. 21; at Missouri on Saturday, Feb. 4; at Baylor on Wednesday, Feb. 8; at home against Missouri on Saturday, Feb. 25; and at home against Texas on Senior night on Saturday, March 3.

KU's full schedule is now complete after the releasing of the Maui Invitational bracket on Thursday afternoon.

“I believe this is the hardest schedule we have played since I’ve been here,” KU coach Bill Self said. “Our strength of schedule and RPI have been in the top 10 almost yearly, but this will be the hardest schedule not only because of Kentucky, the three games in Maui, South Florida, Ohio State, Long Beach State, Davidson and USC, but on top of that you play everyone in the Big 12 twice, which makes the league that much harder.”

Kansas Men's Basketball 2011-12 Schedule

(Home games in CAPS; times are Central; *Big 12 Conference game)

Date (Day) - Opponent,TV, Time

Nov. 1 (Tuesday) - PITTSBURG STATE (Exhibition), JTV, 7 p.m.

Nov. 8 (Tuesday) - FORT HAYS STATE (Exhibition), JTV, 7 p.m.

Nov. 11 (Friday) - TOWSON (EA Sports Maui Invitational), JTV, 7 p.m.

Nov. 15 (Tuesday) - Kentucky (Champions Classic, New York, N.Y.), ESPN, TBA

Nov. 21 (Monday) - Georgetown (EA Sports Maui Invitational), ESPN2, 11 p.m.

Nov. 22 (Tuesday) - UCLA/Chaminade (EA Sports Maui Invitational) TBA, 3:30 p.m./8:30 p.m.

Nov. 23 (Wednesday) - Duke/Tennessee/Michigan/Memphis (EA Sports Maui Invitational) TBA, TBA

Nov. 30 (Wednesday) - FLORIDA ATLANTIC, JTV, 7 p.m.

Dec. 3 (Saturday) - SOUTH FLORIDA, ESPN2, 5:30 p.m.

Dec. 6 (Tuesday) - LONG BEACH STATE, ESPNU, TBA

Dec. 10 (Saturday) - OHIO STATE, ESPN, 2:15 p.m.

Dec. 19 (Monday) - DAVIDSON (M&I; Bank Kansas City Shootout, Kansas City, Mo.), ESPNU, 8 p.m.

Dec. 22 (Thursday) - at USC, FSN, TBA

Dec. 29 (Thursday) - HOWARD, JTV, 7 p.m.

Dec. 31 (Saturday) - NORTH DAKOTA, ESPNU, TBA

Jan. 4 (Wednesday) - *KANSAS STATE, Big 12, 7 p.m.

Jan. 7 (Saturday) - *at Oklahoma, ESPNU, 1 p.m.

Jan. 11 (Wednesday) - *at Texas Tech, ESPNU, 8 p.m.

Jan. 14 (Saturday) - *IOWA STATE, Big 12, 3 p.m.

Jan. 16 (Monday) - *BAYLOR, ESPN, 8:30 p.m.

Jan. 21 (Saturday) - *at Texas, CBS, 3 p.m.

Jan. 23 (Monday) - *TEXAS A&M;, ESPN, 8 p.m.

Jan. 28 (Saturday) - *at Iowa State, ESPN/ESPN2, 1 p.m.

Feb. 1 (Wednesday) - *OKLAHOMA, ESPNU, 8 p.m.

Feb. 4 (Saturday) - *at Missouri, ESPN, 8 p.m.

Feb. 8 (Wednesday) - *at Baylor, ESPN/ESPN2, 6 p.m.

Feb. 11 (Saturday) - *OKLAHOMA STATE, Big 12, 3 p.m.

Feb. 13 (Monday) - *at Kansas State, ESPN, 8 p.m.

Feb. 18 (Saturday) - *TEXAS TECH, Big 12, 7 p.m.

Feb. 22 (Wednesday) - *at Texas A&M;, ESPN2, 8 p.m.

Feb. 25 (Saturday) - *MISSOURI, CBS, 3 p.m.

Feb. 27 (Monday) - *at Oklahoma State, ESPN, 8 p.m.

March 3 (Saturday) - *TEXAS, ESPN, 8 p.m.

March 7-10 (Wed.-Sat.) - Big 12 Championship, (Sprint Center) Kansas City, Mo.

Comments

bhol 8 years, 6 months ago

Pretty good looking schedule without NE and CO on there

Robin Smith 8 years, 6 months ago

lookin like a guantlet now. the rivalries are only going to escalate. I'm very stoked about this new era, as long as the B12 can stick together going forward.

kujakehawk 8 years, 6 months ago

yikes! got some good and tough games in there.. getting kentucky early will be nice.. itll give us (most our guys) an advantage cuz we will have more experience and have had more time to gel... this kentucky team will be sick down the stretch so better now than them, a lot of freshmen talent... cant stand UK but respect the recruiting class. UK= NBA farm team.. University of Known one and done's.

NYC to Maui in 5 days.. that would be a wide ride.. good year to be a jayhawk

jayhwkr77 8 years, 6 months ago

i agree i think kentucky will be the team to beat this year by the end they are gonna be an awful lotta fun to watch. probably the most athletic college basketball teams we've seen in a long time.

it'll be interesting to see how we stack up against them.

Jabez Harlan 8 years, 6 months ago

31 games before the big 12 tournament. I predict KU goes 26-5. One loss to UK or Ohio St., one loss in the Maui, one loss to Missouri, one loss to Texas, and one loss to Oklahoma St.

11-2 in non-conference and 15-3 in conference

at least a share of the Big 12 conference title heading into the tournament.

lee3022 8 years, 6 months ago

Perhaps I am too old school for you, but I disagree about winning the conference. That is, every year, our first objective. Second is winning the conference tournament. Only then does the NCAA tournament come to play. Conference championships do count and our record is so dominant there. A conference championship year is a year to celebrate.

Although this is a killer conference schedule it is even more so for the other nine teams. First, they have to play in AFH, That starts all or nearly all with a loss. Second they each have to navigate each other. I see the conference winner at 13-5 or worse except for KU who has a valid chance to go 15-3 or better. These are the battles I prize. The best team usually wins the conference. That is definitely not true for the NCAA tournament where so many underdog upsets determine the final. One game does not sink us in the conference.

pizzaboy225 8 years, 6 months ago

1. Winning the Big XII
  2. Beating MU and K-State
  3. Making the Final Four
  4. Winning the Big XII Tournament

3 and #4 can be swapped but this is my personal priority list

richter3 8 years, 6 months ago

Judging by the Saturday night times, it looks like at Mizzou and home against Texas are shaping up to be part of ESPN Gameday.

wtarush 8 years, 6 months ago

Why must I torture myself with a schedule that doesn't start for another three months? Yet, I do it every year...guessing where the hard wins will come and knowing that every game is, in fact, a win. A loss, no matter who the foe, always suprises me.

What blows my mind is this mindset out there that the season is merely a precursor to the "Big Dance" (reverant pause). I just don't get it. Something fantastic happens every time the 'hawks take the floor...and that is EVERY game from November through April. Why is this debacle of the NCAA Tournament known as the measuring stick for the quality of our Jayhawks? Silly! The first answer to this is the tourney is what the recruits will see... I highly doubt a single one of our players plays for what a recruit will think of them. They play for the 16.3K fans surrounding them every home game and all the people running around town in their crimson and blue the morning before they play...Howard. Winning the Dance is a fine reason to throw a party, but, no matter what the outcome, the NCAA Tourney ALWAYS comes on the a$$ end of a great season.

Jabez Harlan 8 years, 6 months ago

I completely agree. I will be amped up for the exhibition games to start the year. I buy full court every year in order to see every game. That's right, every game. I haven't missed one in three years. Before that I couldn't afford to shell out the bucks for full court and I also did not have the fancy dvr that I have now.

I am a Wichita native but have lived out of market in the northwest for years so the only time I get to see the Jayhawks is on TV. Can't afford Hawaii or Vegas. I might be able to swing Anaheim next year for the 76 but that is a long shot. I am still waiting for KU to schedule UW or WSU or even Gonzaga home and home.

It is not just about the tourney for me though, November through March is Jayhawk season for me. Football takes a back seat and all the holidays, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, MLK, Valentine's, and St Patty's are tinged with Crimson and Blue.

Basketball season is one of my favorite times of the year. I am always looking forward to the next Wed. or Sat. matchup. It isn't just the tourney. That really is an intense part of the season but it isn't the greatest part for me. Following Kansas basketball day in and day out is the real joy!

wtarush 8 years, 6 months ago

I knew I wasn't alone!!! Just knew it...

TenaciousD 8 years, 6 months ago

And how about the bitter-sweet Big Monday, where it is sooo nice that another game comes so soon but then you have to wait so long for the next fix.

Ben Simonett 8 years, 6 months ago

I see 24-7 as a realistic expectation.

Losses to UK, Duke, and Ohio State. Splits with Baylor, Texas, and Mizzou plus the annual let down game that can never be predicted.

HawksWin 8 years, 6 months ago

+100!! Thanks KSU for that slap of optimism + realism + confidence for KU vs. our own pessimism + gloom & doom outlook + inferior complex. You are a good neighbor. Good luck with FB.

2008KUGrad 8 years, 6 months ago

Please do not compare KU Basketball to KSU Football. We are one of the most dominant programs of all time in wins, conference titles, our fan base, the list goes on. Your football team is not good year after year. They were actually one of the worst college football teams until Snyder pulled up in town. KSU will not win 7 games in football.

pizzaboy225 8 years, 6 months ago

While I appreciate your opinion, your statement that expectations for the team's win-loss record correlate to a person's quality of fandom is ridiculous. Why does thinking that it could be a "down year (by our standards)" mean that a fan loves the team any less?

Furthermore, we've lost at least seven games in five of the last ten years, and I still don't know many KU fans who would consider this decade much of a failure

Not to mention Danny and the Miracles lost eleven games and still won it all!

Chris Shaw 8 years, 6 months ago

With all due respect, I have to disagree with Babboy. Anybody who has worked sales in their lifetime or worked for a corporation knows that "Forecasts" and "Predictions" is how our society is run on a quarterly basis.

Our president and government (No matter how bad they are at forcasting) predicts our national deficit on a quarterly basis. Could you imagine ESPN or Sports Illustrated not having a "Preview" for the upcoming NFL season predicting the AFC West or NFC East? I mean, come on, it's sports.........everything about sports is "Forcasts" and "Predictions".

You are indeed right, Babboy, KU is one of the best programs, but you also have to be realistic about your team based on the schedule and the roster. You're right, KU is going to go 31-0 heading into the post-season.

It has nothing do with Posters, fans, administration, or whatever conceding games. 24-7 is a good prediction IMO. It's realistic and it makes sense. I predicted 23-8 or 22-9. That's what we do as fans, we analyze, we evaluate, and make predicitions on the team we root for. Some do it as a living to make money and others, Coach Self, have to make good on their contract and make predictions so the administration, athletic director, and University President can make good decisions.

Ben Simonett 8 years, 6 months ago

Wow Shaw, everyone calls me the pessimist. I believe this will be the most down the program has been since self got here but 22-9? really?

pnl14 8 years, 6 months ago

MU, no longer worthy of the season finale...love it.

Jayhawk444 8 years, 6 months ago

HA - I noticed that too. No surprise though - KU and Texas have played some titanic clashes over the last 10 years

Mike Kendall 8 years, 6 months ago

Yep, it would be nice to be undefeated going into that Texas game and an opportunity for a little sweet revenge on the "shorthorns" who gave us our last home loss.

Jayhawk444 8 years, 6 months ago

I thought the Hardwood Series was discontinued after last year? Who gets Colorado this year?

lee3022 8 years, 6 months ago

I agree (see my comments above) that conference championships are years to celebrate and winning the conference championship is our first goal and priority. The schedule is great. The best don't get to be the best without playing against the best. This non-conference schedule will prepare us for the conference. The conference every year prepares us for the NCAA (which is a crap shoot with the single elimination.)

The schedule for every other school in the conference is harder because playing Kansas in Allen Field House is the hardest game in the country and they all now have to do it!

texashawk10 8 years, 6 months ago

And so are UNC-Greensboro, Belmont, and Middle Tennessee St. These four schools will play a four team tournament at MTSU's arena. Belmont is a team that could pull an upset as they get to play Duke and Memphis., Towson will play KU and Michigan, and UNC-Greensboro will play Georgetown and Tennessee, and MTSU will play UCLA.

texashawk10 8 years, 6 months ago

While this may be the toughest schedule Bill Self has faced at KU, I'm guessing none of the south coaches are looking forward to this schedule either as they now get KU twice a year instead of once. I know if I was a south coach, I wouldn't be looking forward to that. I could see another potential 30 win season before KU enters the NCAA tournament. I can see KU dropping the Kentucky and Georgetown games along with a couple of Big 12 games before winning the Big 12 tournament and heading into the NCAA tournament with a 30-4 record and another potential 1 seed and tournament route that goes through Omaha and St. Louis to get to New Orleans.

chewyman 8 years, 6 months ago

No way HCBS loses to Georgetown. He will outcoach JT in his sleep!

Martin Rosenblum 8 years, 6 months ago

Only two games on CBS on the sked (hate that abbrev.!).

NO Sunday games this year? I never liked watching us on Sundays. It was usually an ABC game where the crew was always lame.

jaybate 8 years, 6 months ago

"Some Things Bill Would Rather Have Than This Sked"

~Bill would rather have a boil on his nose the size of a medicine ball than have this sked.

~Bill would rather give foreplay to a Weimaraner than have this sked.

~Bill would rather swallow a lit M-80 than have this sked.

~Bill would rather stand at the center circle of a packed field house and pull off his hair piece than have this sked.

~Bill would rather have Joe D tell him that he has joined a devil worshipping cult and sacrificed a stack of poodles in Bill's front yard than have this sked.

~Bill would rather have DMan quit the staff and become a male prostitute in Amsterdam than have this sked.

~Bill would rather have Kurtis donate his threads to charity and begin wearing prison jump suits on the bench than have this sked.

~Bill would rather have Barry Hinson crack-up and blow out the windows at the south end of the field house with an assault rifle the have this sked.

~Bill would rather have Dick Vitale become his lover than have this sked.

~Bill would rather be hung by his eyelashes from the field house scoreboard than have this sked.

~Bill would rather juggle flaming Rocky Mountain Oysters than have this sked.

~Bill would rather learn Bud Wilkinson shared a bed with Mickey Mantle than have this sked.

~Bill would rather discover that Sheahon Zenger was Bettelguise come to destroy the legacy than have this sked.

~Bill would rather discover that CBernie was a fan dancer in Atlantic City than have this sked.

~Bill would rather tell his bigs to man-down that have this sked.

~Bill would rather fall asleep in the cell of a hungry Hannibal Lecter than have this sked.

~Bill would rather juggle nitro glycerin blind folded during an earth quake than have this sked.

Bill would rather not have this sked.

(Note: All fiction and no malice.)

Mike Kendall 8 years, 6 months ago

Love the schedule---I have it downloaded already. I have to stay busy so I won't be too anxious for this schedule to begin. As a lot of Hawk fans and alumni say, "I can't wait for Late Night!"

Chris Shaw 8 years, 6 months ago

Love the schedule! I am going to predict 22-9 or 23-8. I think that is pretty manageable considering how tough this schedule shapes up.

ForeverLoyal2KU 8 years, 6 months ago

I really like how tough this schedule looks. I wish some of our teams the past few years would have played slightly tougher schedules.. I think it could possibly help us down the road in march... However, it's unfortunate that we have to play one of if not the toughest schedule since Self has been here with what appears right now to be one of the weakest teams since Self has been here... Just hope Calipari doesn't get a little revenge... Nevertheless, there should be a lot of great games to watch this year

SEsco10 8 years, 6 months ago

I'm glad the schedule is out but ya know KU has a football team too, just sayin.

Chris Shaw 8 years, 6 months ago

There is a football thread where you can talk football.

Mike Kendall 8 years, 6 months ago

LMAO, Shaw---to the point---I like it!!!!

jaybate 8 years, 6 months ago

Let's do away with football threads too.

Eventually football threads will be found to cause cancer in laboratory mice.

No wait, we have to draw the line at censorship somewhere. :-)

jaybate 8 years, 6 months ago

The sked makes clear self expected the twins and maybe Selby to be back. Also, at Tulsa, with guys like he recruited this year, he never had a sked like this. Ouch!

Kenny Terry 8 years, 6 months ago

With the conference schedule we have i wonder what Vitales prediction will be for us?

jaybate 8 years, 6 months ago

Dick Vitale will predict that KU will do poorly.

Later Vitale will predict that KU will do well.

Or he might say those things in reverse order.

Then he will say nothing and emphasize another team in the B12.

Jim Pendleton 8 years, 6 months ago

Jayhawk444, there is no longer a Big 12 - Pac 12 Hardwood Series, at least this year anyway. Game with USC in LA is a return game, as they played here last year. We actually played four Pac 10 teams last year, with UCLA being the series game.

Schedule is tough, no doubt. Many of the non-con teams we play will likely make the NCAA's, not to mention several Big 12 teams as well. Hopefully this will prepare us well for March. Rock Chalk!!

nuleafjhawk 8 years, 6 months ago

While I'd like to win 30+ games, as the trend has been lately, I really don't care what our record is this year, as long as we don't get beat by a 13 or 14 in the tournament.

Reminiscing about 1988......

Chris Shaw 8 years, 6 months ago

Holy Cow! Almost 40 percent of the Top 100 recruits over the last 5 years have attended more than 1 High School and almost 28 percent have attended 2 or more High Schools! That is a pretty staggering number.

jaybate 8 years, 6 months ago

"There is no threshold for what, exactly, constitutes an epidemic, but at the very least, we have a fickleness problem in college basketball."--from the linked story by Luke Winn

Luke Winn clearly did not get very far in QA. :-)

This is a treasure trove of data analyzed with high school level skill.

May I suggest:

--at least a try at a some non parametric modeling;

--plot the data spatially and look for spatial patterns (lineal distance from home, climate difference, cultural difference, etc.);

--regress on high school GPA

--regress on one vs. two parent families;

--regress on birth order;

--regress on socioeconomic attributes; and

so on.

At least get a little multivariate, Luke.

I like Wolfram's Mathematica. http://www.wolfram.com/

But, hey, practically any package can help. Just get someone to clue you into the differing assumptions underlying the routines. Here's a link of some of the most popular ones.

And Excel can easily handle light lifting.

Luke, baby, dig in and remember...

Statisticians do it randomly.

jaybate 8 years, 6 months ago

Decommits, Transfers, and the Migration from a Symbolic Exchange Economy to a Sign Economy:"

Oops, forgot to finish on Luke's quote.

If Luke has a definitional problem with "epidemic," and he does, he simply creates another one with "fickleness problem."

Memo to Luke: you might get lucky and find a criterion for epidemic from, say, CDC in Atlanta, though that would of course refer to contagious diseases and so not be appropriate here.

"Fickleness" might be quantitatively defined in consumer research, or some field of psychology.

But I doubt it.

Frankly, I would avoid the problem entirely.

Just say more kids are decommitting and transferring for reasons not yet understood.

Here is one hypothesis.

The late Jean Baudrillard, French post structuralist thinker, was right? :-)

We are no longer in a symbolic exchange economy, where symbols of exchange, a coach recruiting with his spiel, and a player being recruited, buying his spiel, that exchanges highly definite and stable currency of meaning and value.

We have passed into a post symbolic exchange economy.

We are now in a sign economy.

Symbols refer to a real thing, or a thing thought to be real.

A sign is a constellation of meanings with meanings that vary as other meanings change.

Perhaps the kids exist in a sign economy.

In sign economies no one is really talking about what is going on in underlying reality.

jaybate 8 years, 6 months ago

Each person talks in signs about other signs.

This supposedly can happen (supposedly has already irrevocably happened according to Baudrillard), when human beings begin to operate in a world too enriched with information, too globalized in reach, to continue to make sense of the world by connecting single symbols to single objects and exchanging value and meaning in terms of those symbols and the objects related to them.

(Note: there's quite a bit more to the hypothesis than this, but this is enough for now.)

Signs, depending on how you think about this hypothesis, either start out divorced from and independent from the reality they were once long ago created to refer to, or they grow increasingly so.

In turn, persons communicating through the signs increasingly relate to each other in terms of the utterly unreal, and at times highly dynamic sign constellations.

What they say and do ceases to depend on any strictly common sensical, and linearly rational, course of actions, but rather on an increasingly complex and unreal circumstantial array that is constantly being fed into an allowed to be morphed by on-going actions.

The movie The Matrix hints at this sort of a society, but in a tech-noir sort of way that often distances persons from the more banal possible manifestations of such a process.

Of course, Baudrillard thought The Matrix mis-portrayed his thinking. The Matrix films present this type of a sign economy generating perceptions of a world view unrelated to an underlying reality and through the convention of a hero suggest that it was a reversible, or an escapable phase of human civilization. Baudrillard thought it irreversible and effectively unescapable.

Hypothetically speaking, Luke, perhaps we are just accelerating across some symbol to sign economy threshold in which high school and D1 basketball players and the sign economy they and their parents and coaches and fellow players participate in increasingly protean ways that lack linear logic and no referent to reality.

Just a thought. :-)

FoCoCoHawk 8 years, 6 months ago

Jaybate once worked for KDOT painting signs: An "Exit" stencilist.

Chris Shaw 8 years, 6 months ago

Looks like J-Mychal Reese is going to head to Texas A&M according to Evan Daniels.

jaybate 8 years, 6 months ago

J-Mychal Reese 2 J-TAM = J-Too Bad

J-Know what I mean?

J-Yes, I knew that J-You did.