Tuesday, August 2, 2011

KU basketball offers Texas prep

Phil Forte’s father former football Jayhawk

Kansas University’s basketball team has offered a scholarship to Phil Forte, a 5-foot-11, 180-pound senior-to-be from Marcus High in Flower Mound, Texas, jayhawkslant.com reported Monday.

Forte, who is the son of former KU football lineman Phil Forte, averaged 16.8 points, 3.2 rebounds and 1.7 assists per game last season. He hit 3.7 threes per game.

Currently unranked, Forte is being recruited by KU, Iowa, USC, Kansas State, Villanova, Oklahoma State, SMU, TCU, Texas Tech and others.

“Kansas has been my dream school since I was little,” Forte told Rivals.com. He indicated he will visit KU and four other schools this fall. “Both of my parents went to Kansas and my dad played football at Kansas, so I grew up a huge Kansas fan.”

Forte’s Texas Assault and high school teammate, No. 24-rated Marcus Smart, also has KU on his list. Smart, a 6-4 combo guard, and Forte recently helped Texas Assault to a 93-78 victory over Shabazz Muhammad’s Dream Vision team in the finals of the adidas Super 64 tournament. Smart had 28 points and 18 boards in that game.

“Forte, a tough combo guard, knocked down shots from all over and played tough defense,” Rivals.com analyst Eric Bossi wrote after that game.

Comments

REHawk 2 years, 8 months ago

That is pretty fine stuff: HCBS the mad scientist. As jaybate insists, Bill Self is a master at taking what the opposition offers, and making gametime adjustments to counter most any defense. Now we see Self sweeping up players who, basically. are low on the radar of topflight Div. I hoops programs. He has the coaching/training staff to work wonders with such athletes if they choose to fill roles, give 100% effort, and stay the 4-year course. Heck, I remember thinking about the twins more than once during their freshmen seasons, These guys are gonna cripple this program. The sooner they move off to greener pastures, the better for Jayhawk basketball. Then by Dec. of their sophomore seasons, I quietly swithced gears and leaped on their bandwagon. Self's observations and experiences with the Butlers, Bradleys, UNIs, Bucknells and VCUs appear to have garnered his serious attention. Not to mention his exhausting fruitless pursuit of topflight recruits. He appears set to travel a different track. Many members of the Jayhawk following hope to see more focus on kids who will stay the 4- or 5-year course. I am always thrilled to read comments of a recruit who claims childhood attachment to the Jayhawk program. Talented in-state players or legacy offspring make for solid scholarship choices, in my humble opinion. And I am high on athletes who might have gotten into the sport late, but whose bodies and recent games indicate that they might grow into nuggets such as Kaun or DBlock.

donnie 2 years, 8 months ago

This is my first ever post. It's great to be here. Maybe talking to you guys will spare my wife a little of my costant KU chatter. I got a funny feeling that the mad scientist,HCBS, has been in the lab experimenting with some miraculous formulas to shock the nation yet again in 2011-12. What can I say? Maybe I'm an optimist to a fault?

jaybate 2 years, 8 months ago

I get the feeling some thread rats are fifty/fifty on Forte. :-)

Ralster Jayhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Jaybate, I wonder if JohnX is a very pious guy or not--for he truly has a gifted game...isnt NotreDame recruiting him? ...Heard they were after Paul St.Mark also...

LaJHawk666 2 years, 8 months ago

The way I see it, we get either Nino or Forte, but not both. I would rather get Nino but some posters here have made a compelling case for Forte.

I really don't think that Smart's decision hinges on Forte's choice of school, though.

RCJH

LaJHawk666 2 years, 8 months ago

RCJH

REHawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Bill Self has waited and waited for some highly rated recruits who have postponed and postponed, then trickled off to lesser or questionably savory programs. Hey, there are just so many scholarships to offer. Why not force the issues for these halfhearted guys on the waiting list.
If you really understand greatness, and would like to be a Jayhawk, then get off the auction block and COMMIT! Future offers begin to look not so plentiful for playing time at The Phog. A talented legacy player who can hit 50% of his 3s and would probably give the program 3 or 4 good years. That is a no-brainer for our recruiting staff.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 8 months ago

Kaleb made a special effort to show his Mom the Kansas campus, for Christ's sake!! You don't lug your Mom over to a school that you're not going to.

I was right about McLemore and I am right about Super K...and if I am wrong, I will write a posting longer than anything Jaybate has written...and you will all read it because I will use the words nude, naked and shiny and a listing of various parts of the female anatomy in every sentence!!!

:-o

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Jaybate - Thanks to you, now everyone in my office is 100% convinced that I've lost my mind. I'm at my desk laughing like a hyena, with tears streaming down my face. That is some funny stuff !

I know some posters on here think you have to be all bidness, all the time but I'm glad there are some that aren't afraid to have fun and show a little levity. Now, in all seriousness, you have a real gift in your writing. I've said it before, but if you don't get paid to write you should. Keep up the good work!

texashawk10 2 years, 8 months ago

I can guarantee that Forte's offer is partly to entice Marcus Smart. Forte is still someone though that Self would've likely offered anyway because of him being a legacy player for KU athletics. Having said that, I still would've waited a little longer to offer Forte until other pieces have fallen. However, if Phil Forte does commit to KU relatively soon, that would leave KU with 1 scholarship left for sure and probably 2 because not many people expect T-Rob to stay for his senior season. That concerns me because there are still several high profile recruits that KU still has a very good chance of landing like Perry Ellis, Kaleb Tarczewski, Marcus Smart, and Nino Jackson. It's not that I don't think Phil Forte can't be a good player for KU, but at this time there are still several players that I would rather have ahead of Forte and unless there is a transfer or two after this season, KU won't have enough scholarships to pass out and it could cost KU the best player the state of Kansas has produced since Wayne Simien or a true center that could shut down the paint on defense like Cole did or someone who is considered to be the best athlete in the class of 2012 in Jackson, or Forte's teammate.

jaybate 2 years, 8 months ago

Part IV

~John X 6'8" 246 lb Power Forward, Academy X--First-named for the great Georgetown head coach that once enabled Hoya Paranoia, this recruit fell off the radar screen, when it was learned that he actually did suffer from paranoia and believed that ESPN was run by devious aliens from a parallel universe (note: since it is reputed by some that Murdoch phone hacking records may substantiate his fear, John X may once again become a hotly pursued recruit).

~Meyer David "Mad Dog 20/20" Blackschilde 5'6" 160 lb Combo Guard, Family and Friends Investment Bank and Fake Derivative Insurance Bail Out Academy--One of two extremely slick combo guards in this year's class--both embodying the worst in the Judeo-Christian ethics and neither having ever played a game in their lives, Mad Dog 20/20 Blackschilde fell off the recruiters' radar screens, when it was discovered that his family would not permit him to attend any university that refused to sell itself to the Blackschilde Charitable Foundation and Trust for the Preservation of Massive, Ill-Gotten Bones.

~Winston Pugh Conover VII 5'6" 160 lb Combo Guard, Triangle Trade Piracy and Central Bank Ponzi Scheme Prep Academy--Conover was the other of two extremely slick combo guards representing the worst in Judeo-Christian ethics that had also never played the game in this recruiting class. Conover was hot and then not, when it was learned that his grandfather, Pugh Biddle Conover--once severely satirized by Joseph Heller in his poorly executed, but still occasionally hilarious novel "Good as Gold"--had reputedly engineered the destabilization of D1 in order to enable its fire sale to Chinese and Japanese central banks that the aging Conover reputedly controls jointly with the other owners of the Fed, the Crown of Great Britain, and the House of Blackschilde. Until that time, everyone had overlooked young Conover having never played a single game of organized basketball, as a minor obstacle to signing him in hopes of attracting grants from The Pugh Biddle Conover Charitable Foundation and Trust for the Preservation of Massive, Ill-Gotten Bones.

(Note: All parts of this multipart post are fiction and lacking a smidgeon of malice. jaybate tried to be an equal opportunity joker and regrets any sub cultures he/she/it may have overlooked.)

jaybate 2 years, 8 months ago

Part III

~Rock Hudson-Smith 6'3" 190 lb Shooting Guard, Noe Valley Hoops Academy--This inaccurate trey shooting twin, of Bullneck Hudson-Smith, vanished from recruiters radar screens, when it was discovered that he not only had trouble finishing around the rim, but that he insisted on redecorating his teammates rooms and calling his athletic bag a man purse on steroids.

~Bullneck Hudson-Smith 6'3" 190 lb Shooting Guard, Hillsborough Suburban Homophobia Academy--This inaccurate trey shooting twin of Rock Hudson-Smith vanished from recruiters' radar screens, when it was discovered that he not only had trouble finishing around the rim, but that he also refused to shower with the team out of absurd fear that every member of his team was not only fixated on him sexually, but also inappropriately envious of his hunter's orange camouflage jock strap.

~Vinny "The Mechanical Bull" Mascarpone 6'9" 240 lb Power Forward, Jersey Black Glove Academy--this enforcer type power forward fell out of favor with recruiters, when it was discovered that he often cleared the boards by swinging a gym sock filled with No.8 bird shot at the heads of competing rebounders, while imitating Frank Sinatra singing "New York, New York."

~Ron Ksvskizxvskzbrvcsiksckikeski (pronounced Smith) 6'5" 700 lb Shooting Forward, Hammtrammck Solidarity Academy--recruiters lost interest in this dead eye shooting forward, when it was discovered that he suffered from acute kielbasa toxicity and required a tower crane to move from one end of the floor to the other.

~Thomas "Tommy Angel" Carlisle 6'0" 175 lb Point Guard, Repressed Presbyterian Academy--Recruiters cooled on deft ball handler and distributor Tommy Angel, when it was learned that his false humility masked a blood thirsty, win-at-any-costs, serial dating mentality and an XTReme lack of rhythm.

jaybate 2 years, 8 months ago

Part II

~Abdul-Qawi al Turnover 6'4" 255 lb Shooting Guard, Right Hand Rule Academy--al Turnover, who was widely described as possessing an NBA body capable of XTReme Muscle Ball from 4th grade on, plummeted from the recruiting radar, when it was not only discovered that he refused to dribble with his left hand, but that he turned the ball over 542 times in one half of the Lard and Animal Fat All Americans game in Manhattan, Kansas.

~John Bunch-of-Misses 6'5" 220 lb Shooting Forward, Ute Trail and Casino Academy--Once thought to be a 21st Century Jim Thorpe, Bunch-of-Misses fell out of favor, when he played 22 consecutive games without hitting a free throw, or making a basket, despite averaging 17 FGAs and 8 FTAs per game.

~Jeff Schmendrik (rumored alias) 6' 1" 200 lb Combo Guard, B'nai Marty Feldman Academy--fell way off the kosher radar screen the minute it was learned that this 48 year old combo guard partial to citrus colored, two button suits was actually a recently forced-out D1 head coach, and rumored by some to be one Brian Ruby, who liked to hang with playuhs with caches of small arms in the trunks of early Naught Decade DeVilles.

~Virgil Tickwater 5'9" 170 lb Shooting Guard, Keep It in the Family Academy--went from the edge of the radar screen to off it in the blink of an eye, when it was discovered that the tiny eastern Carolina academy he had lettered at for the last seven years had dropped reading and math back in 1987 and that Virgil was the father of his three brothers.

~Paul "The Rope" Pope 6'7" 161 lb Point Guard, St.Peters-Hagia Sophia Transcendentally Holy and Positively Immaculately Conceived Catholic Prep Academy--"The Rope" completely disappeared from the radar screens, when it was discovered that he could neither dribble with his right hand, nor shoot effectively within 666 inches of the basket, without exorcisms in both Rome and Istanbul.

~Feng Schui Leung 8' 12" 360 lb Center, Lousy Shanghai Tap Water Academy--this harmoniously designed early product of state-corporate dictatorship-sponsored genetic engineering seemed destined for Maybach offers and OAD status in D1, until it was discovered that his braincase contained only a medulla and a GPS chip.

jaybate 2 years, 8 months ago

Part I

"Some Playuhs That Fell Off the Recruiting Radar This Year"

~Whitey Whiteman 6'10" 128 lb Center, The Beige and Plaid Academy--A project center with a soft touch from 3 feet in, Whiteman disappeared from the recruiting radar screen, when it was discovered that he was too weak to lift nano weights, apologized everywhere he went, and at certain angles in the post became too thin for teammates to see.

~Varnadoe "C-5A Galaxy" Bonzell 5'4" 292 lb Power Forward, Trachea of Jefferson Academy--Bonzell was on everyone's radar screen until he shrank nearly a foot after accidentally taking an irreversible, experimental human growth hormone thought to be extracted from Watusi, but in fact extracted from Danny DeVito.

~Waldemar "Brick" Scheisshauesen 7'4" 673 lb Center, Old Heidelberg University Prep--Nicknamed E100 after the experimental German giant tank developed near the end of WWII, Scheisshausen was on everyone recruiters' Euro radar screen, until it was discovered that no floor in D1 could hold him without caving in and that he had only transitioned from offense to defense once in four seasons.

~John Marter Travelling 6'2" 180 lb Point Guard, Hoop Fundamentalist Academy--Travelling fell off recruiting radar screens, when it was discovered that he literally was born with two right feet and compulsively fell to his knees to pray with the clock running.

~Manny Borges Gabriel-Garcia Marquez Vargas Llosa 6'6" 214 lb Shooting Forward, Xtapa-Juarez-Kelly AFB-Richards Gebaur AFB Super Corridor Academy--Llosa sky-rocketed in magical realistic style from sure thing only to crash-and-burn in the same style, when it was discovered that this slick shooting forward not only possessed bad handles, but glowed fusia in the center circle and refused to play defense unless his extended family of 247 persons in Oaxaca were given campus jobs.

~Rimmer Smith 6'0" 195" Shooting Guard, Mormon Legacy Polygamy Academy--Recruiters hoping for the next Jimmer Fredette grew disillusioned with Rimmer Smith, when he shot only 12 percent from 3 point range and coaches realized they would have to persuade 12 different mothers that their schools were best for Rimmer.

jaybate 2 years, 8 months ago

Thread Rat: This guy is long and athletic.

jaybate: But he shoots 35% from trey.

Thread Rat: I don't care. He's long and athletic.

jaybate: But Phil Forte shoots 50% from trey.

Thread Rat: But he's not long and athletic.

jaybate: But he shoots 50% from trey.

Thread Rate: Look, you knob, scoring is not the point of the game. Running up and down the floor is the point of the game.

jaybate: (Dumb struck silence).

Mel Clare 2 years, 8 months ago

50% from beyond the arc.......................I dont care HOW tall the kid is................

Steve Kubler 2 years, 8 months ago

Call me old school, or maybe just odd but I want to see a pure point guard running the show. I could care less how tall he is or his ranking but he has to be quick, must see the floor, be able and willing to pass, and able to hit the long shot or drive if the D falls off him. With Forte and Tharp it appears there are two possible 4 year candidates for that position. If they have the capability to play the 2 as well that is a nice bonus.

Get a superstar type for the 3 and 4 but I want a no nonsense hard nosed point without any fancy trimmings!

chalky 2 years, 8 months ago

I am a homer, no matter the method we use to attract great players...I just want to get that straight first. Cynic is a strong word to use to describe those of us who were paying attention when Ed 'truck driver"Manning was hired only to have a son who could play a little ball then decide to come to KU with Dad. Or perhaps approaching a high school basketball coach in Alaska to be the Head of Basketball Operations at KU was the suprise of the year.... Are we to believe KU did not know he had a highly ranked son named Marrio Chalmers? Michael Lee was even described then as being a role player when he signed. His heavily recruited teammate Keith Miles said "Hey can I come to KU too? Ive never been recruited by you guys, but would love to offer my services" I love KU, and always will...but come on friends we and others are simply creative when we have to be.

REHawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Thanks, summers, for the Super 64 report.
Bill Self's genius appears to be taking new directions. I am juiced to watch the immediate future of incoming recruits. Can't forget that we have BenMac, a lengthy guard who can slash. If he should stay and develop at least 3 seasons, we can afford a pair of deadeye smaller guards. Jaybate, thanks for your in-depth analysis and projections. Never too long for me.

Bryan Summers 2 years, 8 months ago

I watched Forte in the Adidas Super 64 tournament. In the 2nd half of the championship game he and Smart took over the game. At one point Rivals #1 ranked Shabazz Muhammed was guarding Forte. Forte was running Muhammed all over the court, driving to the basket, jab-step and step back for a long range 2 or 3. He made whomever guarded him look clumsy and slow. His ball handling was superb and his control of the game was excellent. I was VERY impressed and am pleased that we are recruiting a guy who can run our offense and make the opponent suffer from dropping down low to protect the basket. His 3 point range is accurate out to the NBA 3. He's exciting to watch! RCJKU!

Fred Davis 2 years, 8 months ago

The one thing I've noticed about Self since the Xavier Henry and Josh Selby debacles is that he's paying less attention to where a kid is ranked and he's grabbing some grinders, kids with chips on their shoulders and above all else - they have something to prove. I don't care where the kid is ranked, because too many times the higher the kid is ranked, the more baggage that comes with him, and that's been a problem the past two seasons... I like what Self is doing, the different approach he's taking to recruiting, and the bottom line is, can these kids play at a high level in crunch time? Because when you're 1-5 in Elite 8s, something has to give, and I think that's a reason why we're seeing the altered approach to Self's recruiting...

FoCoCoHawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Somebody once said "It's not the size of the dog in the fight; it's the size of the fight in the dog."

(Might have been Gary Coleman.)

jc1306 2 years, 8 months ago

If he anticipates getting Ellis, Tarzcewski (sp), with Peters, he wants shooters to make teams pay for the double team. Frankamp and Forte are lights out gunners.

dwphawk60 2 years, 8 months ago

Have seen this kid, and Smart, play since they were freshman in high school. He is every bit as quick and smooth a ball handler as Collins (without the weight issues). In addition, he is a better shooter from long range and is "basketball smart". From what I understand from teaching contacts in TX, he is a very good student - in the classroom and as a leader. Don't sell him short (no pun intended) because of his height or his recruiting ranking. He is the type of player who will be there for four years, lead his team, and get the most cheers at Senior Night. He is the talented player who makes it possible to bring in others who are 1-year or 2-year players to make your team championship material. These types of players bring annual success along the lines of regional championships and Final Fours without the annual turnover (see KY). Dont' get fooled by the number beside the name on the recruiting list. But, be happy if you see his name and number in an Allen Fieldhouse program for four years.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

I personally am very stoked about the offer to Phil Forte. I know I'm biased because I've known his parents for over 20 years, but that aside, the kid is one heck of a ball player no matter where rivals or anyone else has him ranked. Or not ranked.

As far as being bait for Smart, I suppose it's possible, but I've not seen that Self usually operates that way. And sometimes the bait turns out to be better than the target. Anyone ever use shrimp to try and catch catfish? Sometimes the catfish don't bite......

Don't let the 5'11" stats fool you - Ali Farokhmanesh (that name ring any bells?) LISTED at 6'0". Keiton Page listed at 5'9". That's just the first two I thought of, the list of good, vertically challenged players is considerable. I'm telling you - this Forte kid can flat out shoot the 3. I don't think anyone will be disappointed if he signs with us. Except, Oklahoma, OK State, Kansas State, Texas Tech and others.

Here's what espngo.com has to say about him:

Strengths: Forte is a tough as nails guard that backs down from no one. He is an outstanding shooter. His jump shot is lethal from 23 feet and in, and he is comfortable knocking down jump shots off the bounce. He is also able to spot up and get in the view of his teammates when they are driving the basketball and cut off screens to knock shots down. When driving the ball, Phil can knock down the mid-range pull up jump shot or the teardrop from eight feet and in.

Weaknesses: Phil needs to keep improving his foot speed, court vision with the pass and on the ball defense. Some question his quickness and athleticism to play at the elite level.

Bottom Line: Forte is a solid guard who makes winning plays. Phil doesn't get rattled when teams try to pressure and trap him; he keeps his composure and makes great decisions with the basketball. In my book he is a winner that will help a successful high major program.

mikehawk 2 years, 8 months ago

I am getting more and more confused about recruiting strategy here. One thought, Bill has given up on only but the fewest of the OAD he can land without putting everything else on hold. He may also know something about changes coming down the pike on high school kids and how long they have to stay in college before jumping. He may be beginning the "mid-major" strategy of develop a team that is together three or four years rather than one or two. He may also be telling them if they are good enough and develop, they stay, and if not, they walk. He also has to have his eyes on Smart here. Maybe one of these, maybe all of these ideas are in play, but right now, it isn't clear. If we didn't trust The Man so much, we "summer time, need a life" type bloggers who think KU should win it all every year, would be going absolutely bonkers right now. Maybe I need to check out some of the medication offers showing up in my spam a little more carefully for awhile. Wow!

Tom Richmond 2 years, 8 months ago

Jaybate - I love you man but you do need an editor.

Konkis Dongington III 2 years, 8 months ago

I don't think you have to be a cynic to say that Self is looking to Forte in order to seduce Smart into signing in Crimson and Blue. That's just good recruiting, and it's the same tactic used by every coach worth his salt. Does is always work out? No. But it doesn't hurt either. Plus, it's not like Forte has agreed yet. There's still time for this to go a lot of different ways.

The news I'm more excited/anxious about it the decision that rivals.com reports is forthcoming from the Tarc. He's apparently poised to announce in the next day or two, and from the lack of representation by UNC and UK at the last AAU games of his career, it's down to Kansas and Arizona. Mr T has been a lean our way for a while, but Sean Miller isn't to be underestimated as a recruiter. He came on late, but he's come on strong. Hopefully Dooley, with whom T has reportedly bonded, can seal the deal and put the first piece of the puzzle together in the class of 2012. RC!

mi_familia 2 years, 8 months ago

i'll make this shorter than the previous poster.

Remember that not all scholarships are immediate offers. Some scholarship offers are contingent. I'm guessing in this case that he has a late signing period scholarship or a preferred walkon spot.

jaybate 2 years, 8 months ago

Therefore, it is entirely possible that the signing of Phil Forte has something to do with relationship of number theory to the elliptical orbits of Saturnian moons!

(Thank you for letting me channel you, Professor Irwin Corey!)

Self has subsets of combos.

Because he does, he can recruit a hard nosed, good shooting, unranked guard like Phil Forte to fill a role, not just to attract Marcus Smart.

To Bill Self, Phil Forte is not just another short point guard. He is a guy who can play some point, but also, because he is hard nosed and can shoot, and probably very, very quick, he can create a match-up problem for a big, slow footed 2 guard on an opposing team. You know the kind I am talking about. They are 2 guards that are on the floor, because they can drain the trey, but are step slow on defense.

Phil Forte is, like Jeff Hawkins before him, the kind of combo that can come in at the 2 and make an opposing coach pay for bringing in this tall, step-slow, 2 guard.

Or, alternatively, when KU comes up against a lesser team playing two, short, fast guards, at the same time, Self can bring Phil Forte in at the 2 guard to "go small."

Part of Bill Self's genius is to recognize he can use an unranked player in this way, and so afford to offer him and also perhaps up his chances of landing Marcus Smart.

But the key is: even if Smart takes a powder, Bill Self's game needs a Phil Forte.

In fact, Bill Self would probably be very excited and happy to get Phil Forte. Self has not had a Jeff Hawkins on his KU teams since Hawk departed. He has not had that situational gun on the wing that also allowed him to go small, when Self saw an edge in doing so.

Phil Forte, don't doubt for a second that Coach Self want you for you.

Say yes.

Renew an old definition of the word combo--renew the definition that Jeff Hawkins showed us mattered in the scheme of Self Ball.

Rock Chalk!

jaybate 2 years, 8 months ago

But, out on the perimeter, where there is beauty and improvisation and mobility and rainbow shooting arcs, out on the perimeter where players are non-chemically "stoned immaculate" (to retrofit a Jim Morrison brilliance) in the moves they can make, out on the perimeter where boys can still be boys and play the game with XTReme Joy, rather than XTReme Muscle, out there where they can flank and run, rather than hunker down in trench warfare inside, out there, there is room for improvisation in both role and action.

But, jaybate, you cry, you are talking about the impact playuzs, the go-getta-basketeers, the stars, not the glue men.

jaybate, this rant is supposed to be about Self signing an unranked 5'11" combo from Texas. Its supposed to be about how Self wants Phil Forte for Phil Forte and not for Marcus Smart! Its supposed to be about Self's genius for finding a role for such a short, flipping combo.

Exactly.

To borrow a bit from number theory jargon, Self has a set often thought rather imprecisely of of as the 1-2-3 combo set.

In fact, that set is really an intersection of two subsets: 1-2 combo subset, and the 2-3 combo subset.

The union of these two subsets is the set 1-2-3 combo and it includes all possible combinations of perimeter combo guards.

But there is also an intersection of the two subsets of perimeter combo guards.

This intersection includes only those combo guards capable of playing all three positions. Brady Morningstar was an example of a such a player. He could and did show up at all three combo positions over the course of his career.

Phil Forte is not in the intersection of being able to play all three combo positions.

But he is probably able to play the role of the 1-2 combo subset.

jaybate 2 years, 8 months ago

Without putting too fine a point on it, under 6'2", and you are a point guard at Kansas.

6'2", or over, and you tend to be a combo.

5'11" Jeff Hawkins is the lone exception in the Self era.

Jeff was listed as a point guard, but because he could defend and shoot the trey he sometimes entered the game on the wing, as did Sherron Collins, but unlike Sherron, Jeff was sometimes tasked with guarding combos. For this reason, Jeff was more of a combo than Sherron.

Who but Bill Self would recruit a 5'11" combo guard?

I cannot think of a single coach.

Sometimes I think Self defies the traditions of basketball coaching just to keep it interesting.

No, I take that back: Self is too purposeful for that.

Self is an orchestra conductor that knows one heckuva lot about the sound capacities of each slot in his orchestra.

Most conductors look at first violin and think, well, that's where I put my Itzak Perlman, my superstar fiddle player.

If Bill Self were to conduct a philharmonic, Perlman might wind up being asked to play third violin, maybe even viola occasionally. Bill would challenge a Perlman. He would say, "Hey, of course you can play that thing, but I'm giving you a chance to get better as a musician. You wanna man up and rosin it up at viola, help this orchestra take it to the next level on this particular piece, or do you just want the orchestra to get stagnant being all about you and your comfort level at first violin?"

Having watched Self work for some time now, my money would be on Perlman catching fire for one piece on the viola, and then taking a few bows for being such a genius that he can not only be a virtuoso first violinist, but a combo string man!

Who knows? Bill Self as a conductor might have Perlman change stringed instruments within the same piece occasionally! Perlman at cello! Perlman base violin. Perlman on harp! Perlman on the piano. Perlman back to first violin.

Now this sort of versatility is not for everyone.

Lots of people just want a sure thing repeating itself surely again and again.

Bill Self is this way about big men.

Self talks a good game about swinging 4s out to the 3, but then he almost never does it.

Self's base line is the base line, the blocks, the paint zone, the 3 second realm, the lane of manliness. There, the men who can get it done game in and game out, the men who can bring stability and theme to a team, there, those men stay. Being men.

jaybate 2 years, 8 months ago

"Phil Forte: In Which a Prior Meaning of the Word "Combo" Is Renewed"

Phil Forte is a 5'11" combo guard?

Combo?

You don't often read 5'11" and combo in the same sentence.

What's going on here, Bill?

The cynics as usual post that you only offered Forte, because he is a legacy and a teammate of KU's next great perimeter star--Marcus Smart--assuming Smart is as smart his surname and comes to KU.

But we know from recent experience that you don't offer guys to get their star pals, and then pull it when the star pals sign elsewhere.

You offer guys you think can fill roles on your squads down stream. Same with walk-ons. Oh, there are one, or two, exceptions, but mostly that's how you operate. No deadwood on your squads. Everyone can do something you want done, or they aren't offered, or depart shortly.

Nadiir Tharpe and Christian Garrett were supposed to be bait for stars, but the stars didn't come and Nadiir and Christian are still here doing what you want done.

So, it is likely that you want Phil for Phil, first, and that you hope his presence can:

--attract Marcus Smart,

--reaffirm a recruiting presence in Texas; and

--last, but not least, trigger some good institutional karma by signing a KU legacy, when he fits a role you need anyway.

The trouble for some thread rats is that they just can never really except that teams have lesser and greater roles on them, and so they look at an unranked, 5'11" combo Phil Forte and disbelieve that you could possibly want Phil for Phil.

Part of Bill Self's genius is his endless bending and redefining of who can do what, and how, on a basketball team. This quality of Self's is what makes his brand of ball so endlessly interesting to a knowledgeable basketball fan.

Until now, combo has largely meant a guy big enough and strong enough to guard long 2 guards, even a short 3, and nimble and skilled enough to play some point.

Russell Robinson and Mario Chalmers were combo guards.

Tyrel Reed and Brady Morningstar and Josh Selby were combo guards.

Tyshawn Taylor and Elijah Johnson are combo guards.

BenMac might become a combo guard.

5'11" Sherron Collins, on the other hand, was a point guard, even though occasionally you would detail him to a wing to fire away, and to attack the rim from a new angle.

SCHNBALL 2 years, 8 months ago

2008 FRONTLINE

SHADY KAUN JACKSON COLE

20 fouls to give every game!! I see a shift in recruting and maybe a style all together with Self, only question for this year, where will this leave Withey? If we play man to man, be ready for a high pick and roll with whoever Withey is guarding at the time.

keith horinek 2 years, 8 months ago

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. If he has talent and is coachable and wants to play at KU, I say grab him now. The bonus will be if his teammate Smart follows him to KU. You have to trust HCBS. He didn't get to be the best college BB coach in the country by being stupid. The 2008 national championship team didn't have a lot of high profile players on it either.

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 8 months ago

Is the NCAA considering lowering the basket in the next few years? Our average height being recruited, ala Forte and Conner, and others seems to be well under what it has been in the past years.Or, maybe HCBS is getting older and his neck is gerting strained having to look up to those tall guys.

Kevin Studer 2 years, 8 months ago

He seems a bit small. If he grows large enough to play defensive tackle...

notigers4me 2 years, 8 months ago

It always amazes me that most of the bloggers seem to have a better clue than the coaches whose job depends on recruiting successful players have. It makes you think why does the athletic dept. put up with it? Maybe they should hire one of the bloggers who seems to know which recruit will work best for the program.

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 8 months ago

I know in HCBS we trust...But I seem to be reading the word "unranked" more than usual.

stravinsky 2 years, 8 months ago

Is it our policy now to offer scholarships to friends of every top 25 player we recruit?

LaJHawk666 2 years, 8 months ago

Do we have more sponsorships than I am are of?

Tribehawk 2 years, 8 months ago

I love the fact he's a legacy and I love the fact he's a teammate of a highly ranked recruit. Not so in love with the fact he's a 5'11" "combo guard." But I guess you could also categorize Sherron that way, and he worked out pretty awesomely.

Manginosspeedo 2 years, 8 months ago

If KU is his dream school then I am guessing he will take the offer.