Sunday, April 24, 2011

Royce Woolridge plans visits

Kansas University freshman basketball guard Royce Woolridge, who recently announced plans to transfer, will make three official visits in coming weeks.

Woolridge, 6-foot-3 from Phoenix, will visit Washington State, Utah and the University of Nevada, he confirmed on Saturday. He has not decided on his final two visits.

Comments

Lance Hobson 3 years ago

I wish we could have kept him, I think he would have been great.

AsadZ 3 years ago

What baffles me is that Royce was saying "immediate playing time" as the reason for transfer. At that time most fans were contemplating that he would be looking at a D II school since he would have to sit for one year when transferring to a D1 school.

But he is looking at all D1 schools and will have to wait for one year. This would be a contradiction to his reason given of immediate playing time.

Mike Bratisax 3 years ago

How about Creighton? Mid-major w/good rep.

William Blake 3 years ago

Best wishes, Royce! You'll always be a Jayhawk, too!

cragarhawk 3 years ago

If he's going to another D1 school to sit out for a year, why not stay and have atleast a chance of playing some during that year. By the following season he could be seeing alot of minutes here. Maybe not I guess, I don't know.

REHawk 3 years ago

Once again, Royce, best of luck to you wherever you go. You are a class act. I look to see your name on someone's stat sheets somewhere down the pike.

kranny 3 years ago

I have a feeling that we're going to wish he had played more and stayed at KU. I still feel he's going to be a good one. It seems that Bill doesn't have time to wait for "works in progress" but he's able to live with very inconsistent play from Tyshawn for 3 years. We passed up on Trevor Releford and he took Bama to the NIT finals his freshman year with 11ppg, and 3.4 apg and hit the game winning layup against CU to get them to the finals. I'm never one to second guess a national championship coach but Royce wasn't the Arizona player of the year because of his "looks". The boy averaged over 30 points a game in high school and played with a Killer mentality. Hope there are no regrets on this one.

FRW 3 years ago

jaybate.....Tony Bennett just finished his second year at Virginia.

jaybate 3 years ago

P.P.S.: I still think he will visit one of the two Arizona schools and I would think Tad Boyle at CU would be a likely.

jaybate 3 years ago

P.S.: I'm kind of surprised Unibrow down at Norman didn't pick Royce up, but maybe that would have been impolitic to turn around and play against KU.

jaybate 3 years ago

Royce's dad, Orlando, coaches the Arizona Rhinos of the ABA and played in the NBA, so he's probably got an extensive network of the college coaching connections.

Royce's Brother Renaldo has played little for Pearl at UTenn and now faces Cuonzo Martin's new regime as a senior.

Royce did better on the character meter with Self, but apparently didn't have the talent to get the kind of PT he wanted.

So now he considers three programs.

Utah: Larry Krystkowiak--maybe an old friend of Orlando's from NBA days--just hired to rebuild Utah. Probably up tempo. Since he's just starting, he won't jump before Royce is done.

Wash State: Tony Bennet--Old straight shooter Dick Bennett's son trying to do it the right way and trying to keep it together in Pullman, after some initial succes; slow ball and banging. Bennett looks like a lifer at WSU. He won't jump on Royce.

Nevada: David Carter--Carter is an LA Crenshaw kid who went to St. Mary's and then assisted at Eastern Michigan, and St. Mary's, before assisting first Trent Johnson at UNev, then Mark Fox. Trent Johnson jumped from UNev to Stanford to LSU. Mark Fox, born in Garden City, KS, assisted first Dana Altman, then Tom Asbury at KSU. Altman's an Okie Baller. Asbury was an LA guy from Pepperdine. Fox has Okie Baller ties. When Fox took off for Georgia, Carter took over UNev. Carter has indirect Okie Baller connections. Carter seems reliably set for Royce's remaining years.

Bennett and Carter appear to be "do it the right way" guys.

Krystkowiak is a Basin and Range guy with an NBA career and perhaps someone poppa Orlando knows.

The common themes are PT available and ethical coaches not likely to leave.

Ashtin Meerpohl 3 years ago

I wish him the best of luck! I thought he was going to go to a smaller school to play so that he could play right away. If he transfer to a D1 he'll have to sit out one more year again delaying his playing time.

Cmill1221 3 years ago

As a unlv student please pick someplace othere than Nevada! I dint want them getting any better!! Good luck!

Funhawk 3 years ago

We wish Royce the best. I recall Royce's interview on the Bill Self Show. He left quite an impression on me. And again, after his announcement of leaving, his departing words were nothing but compliments of KU. Its like you took a new job, but months later resign because you were disappointed. It didn't work out. Then you vent to the rest of the staff after resigning. How many employees leave saying good things about the employer they are leaving?

This player in departing left us a verbal example. Royce is a class act and hate to see him go, but the man deserves playing time somewhere. Will definitely be rooting for Royce wherever he ends up. Wherever Royce Woolridge goes, whatever he does in life, I know the young man will do well.

Miguel Colón 3 years ago

Best of luck Royce! Check out Gonzaga or Butler. I think you are major college talent.