Thursday, April 21, 2011

Self pays visit to Florida prospects

Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self visited IMG Academies in Bradenton, Fla., on Wednesday to check in on senior prospects DeAndre Daniels and Jamari Traylor.

The 6-foot-8 Daniels, who visited Duke last weekend, told Rivals.com he has a final list of KU, Duke, Texas, Florida, San Diego State and Colorado. Florida’s Billy Donovan visited IMG earlier this week.

“The Duke visit was really good,” the 6-foot-8 Daniels said. “I loved it. The atmosphere there was like a family.

“Style of play is important to me. I want to play right away, and I want to play for a coach who will make me better both on and off the court.”

Zagsblog.net reports that because of a death in the family, Daniels will not travel to Louisville for Friday’s Derby Festival. Traylor, a 6-8 forward, will visit KU this weekend. He is also considering Oklahoma State, St. John’s, Texas Tech, Indiana, Memphis and Mississippi State.

York on the radar: Gabe York, a 6-2 junior guard from Lutheran High in Orange, Calif., recently received a scholarship offer from KU, Rivals.com reports. The No. 41-ranked player in the Class of 2012 has also received offers from Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, Connecticut, Marquette, Oklahoma, Oregon State, USC, Washington, and Washington State.

Murray may visit: Aaric Murray, a 6-10 sophomore from La Salle who has announced plans to transfer, may visit KU this weekend, according to Rivals.com. West Virginia and KU are believed to be his leaders.

Lacey at Derby: Trevor Lacey, a 6-3 senior from Butler High in Huntsville, Ala., tells Rivals.com from the Derby Classic that he has essentially cut his list to KU, Kentucky and Alabama. He visited Alabama last weekend and will trek to KU on April 29-30 and Kentucky after that.

Of KU, he said: “(Months ago KU) let me know that Selby and the (Morris) twins were going to stay there and it would be short minutes, and (Self) was like ‘You’re a pretty high ranked guy. You want to go somewhere and play as a freshman, and your minutes are going to be limited here.’

“I respected them for being honest with me. So when they lost those three guys, they came back at me hard. They approached with the same way when they let me know about the guys leaving. By letting me know at first, that’s why I was like, ‘That’s a guy I can trust.’’’

Comments

Larry Smith 3 years, 4 months ago

I like the honesty that Self shows with these recruits. People wonder why He does not get some of the top ranked players in the early signing period? He tells them like it is. No guaranteed minutes, and you have to earn your PT.

KULA 3 years, 4 months ago

OMG did you just capitalize the pronoun "he"? Please tell me that was a mistake. Otherwise, why don't you just get down on your knees and light some incense?

Brianna Zaleski 3 years, 4 months ago

You capitalize the first letter of the word starting a sentence. And since a question mark preceded the word "He" it should be capitalized. Now that is basic grammar. And if you are just baiting (since you are a known troll) then shame on me. But if not, then I must say that texting has truly wrecked our grammatical skills. And since you live out in CA, I wouldn't have expected anyone to correct you on your misteaks because they were worried it would hurt your feelings instead of hurt you later in life which is truly the case w/ you.

Carter Patterson 3 years, 4 months ago

Morning Zig....I believe KULA was talking about the 2nd sentence, not the 3rd, which seemed to imply our beloved coach as a deity. Sacrilegious to all but the First Church of Allen Fieldhouse.

Martin Rosenblum 3 years, 4 months ago

zig -

Re-read sentence #2. That's where the capitalized word "He" is seen, in the middle of the sentence. I'm betting Jayhawk 86 was not going for the divine use of the word, only a typo,

JHawk74 3 years, 4 months ago

Zig, You misspelled "misteaks" it should be "mistakes".

3 years, 4 months ago

Please don’t feed the trolls - - - aw, crap.

Kent Kossoy 3 years, 4 months ago

A bunch of KU English majors???

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 4 months ago

Come on guys..we are better than this. Argue sports not grammar.

martyks 3 years, 4 months ago

And anyway, what's wrong with capitalizing a pronoun when it refers to Bill Self? We're not worthy. Isn't that obvious to everyone here? It should be.

Jack Wilson 3 years, 4 months ago

Aggreed! Focising on gramer or how a werd is spilled is a waist of time an efort.

Bye the way, did you now Cole Aldridge is my faverit hawk ever; 2nd place is Shelby.

lincase 3 years, 4 months ago

Two funny!!! To funny??? Oh well, sigh . . . .

waywardJay 3 years, 4 months ago

Now if Only you could you know.... make an actual argument stick.... by ...errr.... ummm.... Using factual statements that are supported by Reasonable data.... Not just your backwards opinions.

Then you might actually be able to talk smack on someone's bad grammer, dawg.

KEITHMILES05 3 years, 4 months ago

Very perplexing Daniels has now put Florida, SDSU, and Colo on his list. Instead of his list getting shorter it just doubled. It's been reported he has North Carolina State also.

selfishhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

SDSU and Colorado? you've got to be kidding me. i laughed out loud.

lee3022 3 years, 4 months ago

DeAndre, hearing that you have to contend with the loss of his grandfather, I am saddened by your loss. Take whatever time you need for family and the KU fans will be waiting when you are available. Condolences my friend. KU has long felt like a family and has especially drawn together in the wake of losses to Darnell Jackson, Sherron Collins and Thomas Robinson in recent years. I know you will feel right here, when you come.

hawk316 3 years, 4 months ago

Extremely revealing and powerful statement. That's why Self is such a great recruiter. Players respect honesty.

kufamtrad1 3 years, 4 months ago

Have to love coach Self's honesty and great comment Lee about family even more than that its tradition. I disagree with most of these analyst saying that ku is scrapping up left overs in recruiting. Some of these guys will be nice additions to what we still have coming back and I think it will suprise some how good the returners will be. Coach keep up the good work in building the program by showing examples of integrity and maybe landing your "Home Run"......ready for 20112012.....Rock chalk

Jeremy Bolinger 3 years, 4 months ago

Bill Self thought that Selby and the Morris twins would be staying? I think he was taking in a little pre- 4/20 celebrations. Who thought at all that these guys would be back besides Self?

jaybate 3 years, 4 months ago

I was pretty sure all three would return until late February.

After Selby started hot, he struggled, then got injured, then came back and struggled. I knew he was an incredible talent, but I thought (and still think) his best move would have been to come back. I doubted the NBA GMs and coaches would trust him based on his performance and injury this season. But they did and so he had to go for the bones.

Regarding the Twins, I thought Kieff would eventually run into some guys down the stretch that would man handle him the way Derrick Williams did early. I thought that plus his season long uneveness would cool the NBA's interest on him.

In turn, I thought that Marcus would stay to be with Kieff, who would need another year to reach first round status.

But what happened was that Kieff improved faster than expected, put up some very good numbers, had a very hot shooting year from trey, and never got held responsible (for some reason I do not understand) for KU not being able to control the paint against VCU.

So: Kieff became draftable this season and Marcus did not need to stick around to wait for him next season.

I believe Self is telling the truth about what he expected. I expected something similar. But except for VCU, Kieff came on very strong late and I'm sure Self began to realize the L was going to want Kieff.

Dirk Medema 3 years, 4 months ago

Jaybate - Really appreciate your insights, but you seem to be following the common line of thinking that all there is to evaluate a player are the games we watch, which were obviously disappointing for all. Fortunately for Josh, there are also individual workouts, where he apparently has done well, tho we will never get to see. I believe X also raised his NBA stock value last year thru individual workouts, tho admittedly he was starting from a higher ncaa performance level. It just seems wise to realize that there is often more to the story than what we get to see from the news or games.

jaybate 3 years, 4 months ago

dag,

I agree with your take and did not mean to imply otherwise. Sorry.

I was trying to explain that prior to the workouts I shared Self's opinion that Josh would probably be back to prove himself in D1 in order to gain the higher draft rank, and bigger bones, thata great season in D1 would likely trigger.

But if you can show you've already got the goods in work outs, then you have to go.

Frankly, because of Josh's injury, Self was increasingly in somewhat of the same boat as we fans were. He knew Josh was a huge talent before the season started. Self said when he signed him that he expected Josh would be one of the best players in the conference out of the box.

But when the injury surfaced in the middle of Josh's post-big-debut slump, then Self could only judge Josh based on his past and on his injured performance. It was not much to go on.

I am sure that if Self saw in Vegas, what the scouts apparently saw, Self would not have had any doubts about Josh's readiness either.

Thanks for your wise comment that gave me a chance to clarify myself.

And I very much enjoy reading your takes, also.

Tony Bandle 3 years, 4 months ago

Since DeAndre is in school, in Florida, the addition of the Gators to his list is no surprise, however, adding San Diego State and Colorado is perplexing, to say the least.

My gut [and totally baseless] feelings:

Duke - His statement sounds like the ones we hear about Kansas just before we finish Number Two in the recruits choices...also early commitments will cut into his potential PT time there. Texas - Had he really wanted to go to Texas, he'd be committed by now. Florida - Like I said, he's in school in the state..no harm, no foul, no committment...besides, Bradley Beal is on the way. Colorada - Maybe he wants to learn how to ski? San Diego State - Maybe he wants to learn how to surf? Kansas - I hope DD listens to his pal, Trevor...he'll get a coach he can trust, the whole Jayhawk Nation as family and major, even starting, playing time. KU has been with him every step of the way.

Chris Bruning 3 years, 4 months ago

UHHHH ME, early on it didn't look like Markieff would be ready for the league and talk was him and Marcus wouldn't split until in the NBA. and Selby? yeah didn't think he would go either. and i also was taking in early 4/20 celebrations :-)))))))))))))))

jhox 3 years, 4 months ago

I find it interesting that Daniels isn't listing Kentucky. My guess is that's where he'll end up. I think Slick Cal had backed off of him, but with yesterday's announced departure of 3 players, look for the bank account to open up. I think they're the team to beat.

Duke would be a poor choice for the kid, as would Kenturcky. If he wants to be sure of significant playing time at a power program, KU is still the best choice for him.

I read somewhere that he has wanted to go to Kentucky all along, but that his Dad wanted him to go to Kansas. That supposedly came from someone close to his family (but the information was also dated--January, or so.)

In any event, look for Kentucky to get in the mix for him once again.

Troll_or_AntiTroll 3 years, 4 months ago

Texas is DD's dream school. UK is Lacey's. KU will be fine fall back school for both of them.

Selbyville 3 years, 4 months ago

Yea, because you know what their thinking right?

jhox 3 years, 4 months ago

In any event, look for Kentucky to get in the mix for him once again.

Michael Pannacciulli 3 years, 4 months ago

Daniels isn't coming to KU - he should but he's shying away and has all year.

Lacey I see as a real prospect. Traylor - there's so little to go buy I have no clue. Let's hope he has a great visit...I remember my first time on that campus...and I did not get the red carpet treatment of course like these dudes do...I can only imagine...

The kid from LaSalle has talent and baggage. Self or Huggy are the type of coach this kid can probably benefit from...there could be fireworks but he will get great mentors, no B.S. We need a big badly, and the MANning can school this kid into a solid contributor based on what I have seen and read. But this is not going to impact us next season due to the transfer rules - so any excitement must be tempered.

We will get our guys, just let Self, Dooley and staff work there magic. RCJHGKU.

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 4 months ago

Agree about Lacey even if it isn't at a top priority position. He is probably a 3-4 yr player who can contribute from day 1.

Martin Rosenblum 3 years, 4 months ago

6-3 guys are not exactly falling from the trees. But, we need bigs more seriously. By "bigs", I don't mean 6-8 185lb either. Ther has got to be a DJack out there that we can bring in for Danny to develop again. Another TRob would be nice, too. A footer who would give us three-four years should be high on the radar. OAD footers don't fit in at KU. The program needs continuity. Find some guards who can become part of a high-low game with that elusive big man and we're on track.

cklarock 3 years, 4 months ago

We've got a 4-year footer in the works right now. I expect much bigger things from Withey next season, both due to necessity, but also 3 years now working with the staff and Super Andrea.

rwhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

It won't be too difficult for skinnyW to give the team "much bigger things" considering the bar he's set so far!

clm2122 3 years, 4 months ago

Mem - couldn't agree with you more. We have Gs coming out our ears. I don't know anything about the kid, other than his is big 6'9" 240, but Joseph Uchebo was released from his commitment to NC State last week. He's a 4 star center, ranked #92 overall on Rivals.

REHawk 3 years, 4 months ago

From Trevor Lacey, nice insight into Bill Self's straightforward recruiting analysis. Prospects and their parents have to be impressed with such blunt realism. This kid sounds like the making of a man who might flourish in a Jayhawk uniform. Personally, I admire the wisdom of a recruit who waits til spring to sort through his best options. The early commitment of Woolridge, in retrospect, might have been too hasty for both parties. A good kid with promise, sporting NBA genes, but upon arrival Royce faced a tight squeeze for playing minutes. Gotta hope that the Zach Peters early commitment works out better. Zach's size should place him in a more propitious position for playing time; and he might be more patient in his time for development. The Dan Manning projects seem to improve exponentially by their third seasons.

Tony Bandle 3 years, 4 months ago

Your post is excellent simply with the correct usage of the word "propitious," besides the additional insight provided. REHawk..you maybe the new kushaw!!!!

jhawkr 3 years, 4 months ago

Use of the word "propitious" is almost sickening and slightly unusual on this forum. I find myself highly educated, but I gotta admit to googling that word !

jaybate 3 years, 4 months ago

It was opportune that you chose propitious. :-)

cklarock 3 years, 4 months ago

lol

Maybe he means "better street fighter," in which case, we can help!

cklarock 3 years, 4 months ago

Go coach!

"By letting me know at first, that’s why I was like, ‘That’s a guy I can trust.’"

Absolutely. Honesty up front avoids a whole raft of problems later -- there are so many excellent reasons for a recruit to come play basketball at Kansas, there is no reason to shine up a used-car pitch; let's leave that to the has-beens and the Hill People.

Steve Gantz 3 years, 4 months ago

Hope he does a background check! I know, I'm a hater, a poser, a troll, a KSU and a MU fan.

bradynsdad 3 years, 4 months ago

Will peters and Ellis be impact freshmen players? If so then if we can make it through this year with wither and trob I wouldnt be so worried. Yes I said Ellis, I believe he will he a jayhawk without a doubt. I am really happy that None of the kids that are coming in are OAD's. These next two to three years will be a good measure of wether or not to keep pursuing the OAD's or work on high recruits that will give us two to three years.

Troll_or_AntiTroll 3 years, 4 months ago

We bring in a lot of TAT's (two and transfer).

RockChalk26 3 years, 4 months ago

I think they will come in and make positive contributions right away.

I have a feeling that we will miss on DD, and I'm ok with that. From day one I thought that if we didn't land DD we would be dead in the water next year. But instead of being pessimistic, I am putting a positive spin on our situation. Last year we had a deep bench but the bench lacked experience. (i.e. EJ, Releford, Withey, ect) By not landing DD we will be forced to play with what we have, which isn't much but they will be gaining game time experience. I'm sure we won't win as many games as we would like but they will be better prepared for when the 2012 class hits the floor. (I think HCBS hits the recruiting grand slam in 2012)

2012 recruits (In my opinion) - Peters, Perry Ellis, Kaleb Tarczewski, Nino Jackson, and Ricardo Ledo.

HawkKlaw 3 years, 4 months ago

"...we will be forced to play with what we have, which isn't much..."

Ye of little faith! TT, EJ, TRob and Releford are the types of players that most schools could only dream of having on their squad. Were you referring to our post players or something? We are a little lacking in the big man department right now, but rest assured, Bill Self & Co. will get one or two more forward/center type players before next season rolls around (which is all we really need since we do already have TRob, Anderson, Withey and Wesley). I think there's more than a decent chance that KU will have another 30+ win season next year (I do realize I'm biased, but I also base this partially on Bill Self's history at KU...30+ wins in 4 of the last 5 seasons).

I would agree with your statement that HCBS is going to bring in some bad asses in the 2012 class though.

RockChalk26 3 years, 4 months ago

Yes, I was referring to our post players. With the exception of TRob, we are very inexperienced compared to most teams in the Big 12. Our bigs will do a lot of growing up over the course of next year. It should make for another exciting year of hoops in Lawrence.

I wouldn't have it any other way :) RCJH!

HawkKlaw 3 years, 4 months ago

Yeah, sadly, that's the nature of college basketball these days. Freshman are asked to do so much! That "one year of college" rule is terrible for NCAA basketball.

On the positive side, we have TRob...there won't be a better big man in the country next year. That is, if he stays away from the Cave. Way to hang out at the cheesiest place in Lawrence TRob...

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 4 months ago

Put in all the work necessary to sign Ellis...He should be our priority. I hope we get Aaric Murray also, he will only get better w/Manning having a year to prepare him.

Annette Lee 3 years, 4 months ago

Joseph Uchebo is 6'9" 240 and he's been released from his Loi...

clm2122 3 years, 4 months ago

Mont - I have been throwing his name out the past couple of days as well. Sounds like a perfect fit unless the kid has some baggage.

Hank Cross 3 years, 4 months ago

DD adding teams to his list this late in the proces is curious. Is he not sold on one of his previous choices, leveraging the schools against each other, or is something else going on? I get UF and SDSU, but CU seems like a real outlier. Maybe Tad is promising he can run for 40 and leave after a year with their thanks.

100 3 years, 4 months ago

Well....

Here's who we're going against in the DD recruiting battle...

After reading this it really does make you wonder how many guys on (or off) Calipari's staff he has had doing questionable work for him (even if it's excessive phone calls like Sampson was banned for) over the years since the mid 90's to get to the point he's at now. Recall UK's most recent firing, the letting go of Calipari's aide for little to nothing at the time, only for the public to find out 6 months later after a Fox Sports report that Calipari's aide had been making phone calls to multiple recruits at both Memphis & Kentucky (& pretty damning quotes by Cousins if the NCAA cares at all, Cousins pretty much said he signed on with Memphis first & switched to Kentuvky second only because he was in contact with this Calipari aide "all the time".)

Is anyone else on this site fed up with what Calipari has gotten away with in the past (before Kentucky hired him & took with it Memphis's players) for him to be able to recruit the way he does now?

I really think those phone calls should come back to haunt Calipari. No other coaches can get away with this. Hell the facts are right there in the Fox article with quotes from 3 of Calipari's recruits confirming what appears very much to be what Nick Nolte had to admit to in Blue Chips.

Calipari = Don't do the dirty work. Yourself. Usually. Unless you're recruiting Michael Gilchrist. Then show up at practice a month early to recruit him & take away his high school's eligibility to play in the state tournament.

100 3 years, 4 months ago

Looks like we know where Troll or anti Troll comes from. If he acts like he doesn't know where Lexington is in a post later on this message board, that will confirm it.

jaybate 3 years, 4 months ago

100,

PHOF!

This is the kind of information valved steadily in digital media that will itself accrue and so keep the light on the apparent darkness fallen on Lexington.

But circulating a hard copy petition, as the apparently disingenuous and fearful Troll_or_AntiTroll suggests, is so very, very 20th Century, is it not?

Perhaps the information needs to be pasted on the Lexington newspaper web site, and on ESPN/CBS boards, and mass emailed to the nation's sports writers, starting with our very own Tom Keegan.

Why isn't Tom Keegan writing a story about this?

Or why isn't Tom Keegan having Bill Mayer, a semi-retired pro with no apparent career vulnerability, write a story about this?

Or why isn't he having a reporter report on the phenomenon of trolls lurking on this web site. The LJW does not have to name names...just aliases. Have the reporters interview these aliases online. Ask them why they come? What do they hope to accomplish? Are they trying to smear KU? Do they seriously think KU appears more corrupt than UK appears? And in what parallel universe do they think such appearances exist?

But I hardly want to pick on Tom Keegan.

It is the Lexington newspaper, and ESPN/CBS, that needs this information posted on a regular basis, say, twice a week indefinitely until lurking trolls cease the valving of smear-tripe here apparently in a desperate attempt to redirect the spotlight away from their beloved UK and Cal apparently stewing in corruption.

Perhaps it is not enough for a paper, or broadcast outlet, to put what you point out in a paragraph in passing, so they can walk around with CYA down stream and say, "Well, we did report that once."

HawkKlaw 3 years, 4 months ago

"It seems from the toothless brevity of Troll_or_AntiTroll's response that you, 100, are getting close to his and and UK's and Cal's short hairs with this info.

And close to their nads is exactly where we want to place the cutting shears of reputed truth in this case."

Classic.

jaybate 3 years, 4 months ago

Repeated posting of the information creates a situation in which they have to either deal with it in a limited hangout story, once again trying to delay serious scrutiny, or to finally face up to their journalistic obligations and start forcing UK and Cal to face up to public scrutiny regarding this reputed behavior.

Perhaps Troll_or_AntiTroll would like to do it to prove his loyalty to the KU Basketball legacy? :-)

Did I say we need to direct this information overtly to sports writers/broadcasters around the country? :-)

If they do not begin to write about this information, then we can reasonably infer that they are afraid to write openly and honestly about UK and Cal.

Such fear might suggest that they might have "something" to fear in coming out, in doing the right thing, in calling UK and Cal on these reputed acts.

What might it be?

Let's not even go there yet.

And, in any case, failure of Troll_or_AntiTroll to lead the charge would, of course, betray his lurking agenda and/or at least his/her spinelessness.

I can only go by what I gather in media in this situation: based on this, the appearances are that UK might be stewing in corruption.

I can only go by what is reputedly occurring, according to some: based on this, the appearances are that sooner or later UK might go down big because of reputed activities.

I can only speculate based on what I have read: based on this, it seems only a matter of time and a matter of how much mud they are going to try to fling on programs around them, before UK and Cal might go down, or Cal departs prior to UK going down, as happened at Memphis.

And I suppose it depends also on how many sinister characters, if any, are operating in the back ground of what appears to be going on in Lexington, but this is something I cannot even make a guess at yet, because it has been such a long time since the UK point shaving scandals and UK's last brush with the Death Penalty. Who knows if super corrupted persons are in the back ground now at UK influencing recruiting and game outcomes (as has reputedly occurred in the past there), or not? It is perhaps too soon to tell.

IMHO, there seems a possibility at least that UK and death penalty might be converging, again, based on persisting appearances and rumors.

And the truly pitiful thing is this: if UK were in fact a rogue program, as some suggest, UK apparently can't even sell its soul and win a ring anymore, as it used to be able to do back in the point shaving scandal days.

Kiss our crimson and blue you know what's, Troll_or_AntiTroll.

We have seen your kind come and go before.

Rock Chalk!

3 years, 4 months ago

Is it time to address said trolls as a collective again, e.g. Troll_orAntiTrollKULAtheend? Perhaps we can add phog on as well for old times’ sake, and for the random few minutes he pops on here from time to time before promptly being deleted by LJW staff :)

p.s. Where in the world is soobawls?

bradynsdad 3 years, 4 months ago

This is exactly why I was glad knight blasted him again. The only thing that angers me is his apology. Everyone knows the apology was written by espn. Knight spoke the absolute truth "one and dones are bad for college basketball". Reading between the lines clearly states that John calapari is bad for college basketball. I know to some extent all college basketball coaches break the rules simply because of guys like cal. It's hard when your told you can only call a recruit once a week when you know another coach is calling them five times a week. We may see this through crimson and blue eyes but if self were to get caught and found guilty in a recruiting scandal then I would support the ncaa's punishment. Somewhere at sometime the NCAA as well as the coaches and players need to stand up and say enough is enough. What is really being taught to the youth of the nation? It's ok to cheat as long as you don't get caught?

Hank Cross 3 years, 4 months ago

UK was dirty before Cal got there, remember the overnight envelope full of cash to Chris Mills? The mind boggles as to what they are up to with Cal in charge. Nothing will probably happen, though. As the joke used to go: Kentucky better watch it otherwise Cleveland State will get the death penalty again.

3 years, 4 months ago

"From what I read about it, we would not receive the title through default. The title would have been vacated for 2008, with no one sitting on top."

Correct you are.

"According to the NCAA, if Memphis had won the game and the committee on infractions forced the school to vacate the title, there would have been no official champion for 2008. The records book would have listed Memphis' defeating Kansas with an asterisk noting that the Tigers' participation in the 2008 championship was later vacated by the COI. There would be no acknowledgment that Kansas had won the title. "

Troll_or_AntiTroll 3 years, 4 months ago

Not sure Lexington is on the coast. Will check map and let you know.

Steve Gantz 3 years, 4 months ago

About 550 miles, not sure the coastal flooding from so-called global warming is going to flood Rupp Arena.

jaybate 3 years, 4 months ago

Dear IrishDa,

I know the Irish are known for a gift of gab and not for world class QA scholarship, but this proves only one thing: this year, UK "got" 2, while UNC, Duke and Florida "got" one. One can infer nothing about last year, or next, from this data.

Next.

jhox 3 years, 4 months ago

100, let's not forget the pissing match that UK is in with the Chicago Sun Times over their top rated recruit Anthony Davis. The Sun Times had reported that the commitment cost UK $200,000. UK attornies threatened to sue if there wasn't a retraction, and the Sun Times doubled down and stood behind their story. This story has been remarkably quiet for several months now. My hope is the NCAA is investigating, and even better, the IRS.

Schools don't repeatedly land 4 and 5 top 25 recruits year after year, without something shady going on. I know Cal is a snake oil saleman, but nobody is that good.

100 3 years, 4 months ago

I had forgotten about the Chicago paper reporting & standing behind the payment to the UK recruit. I wonder why UK didnt follow through with their threat & sue?

It is interesting how UK couldn't land a top 25 recruiting class for a decade....

Then, suddenly, for the third year in a row... Number 1.....

Calipari's friends & "Aides", scattered across the nation, from Detroit to Memphis, certainly have helped him gain this recruiting prowless. It also helps that his players can hang out at Calipari's house anytime they want, whether Calipari's agent friends are over there or not. By NCAA law, he slips into the grey area on this too, as ling as he doesn't report it, although a newspaper in Memphis wrote a big story on this. And judging from Camby's necklace at UMass, apparently Camby too had a roast beef sandwich from Calipari's refrigerator.

In the end what really makes Calipari's rise in recruiting so aggravating to coaches like Brad Stevens or Coach K (who of course did cheat once himself with Corey Maggette) or any other coach attempting to follow the book & recruit cleanly against Calipari, is.... Calipari's group of "friends"....

The movie Blue Chips really was about John Calipari.

Put another way.... The NCAA's rule regarding contact with a recruit by someone off of the coach's staff is only allowable under the following circumstances:

"A player can be regularly contacted by someone who isn't associated with the team through blood family, faculty, or past student athletes."

So the stories of William Wesley are not only legend, it has been confirmed by multiple sources including Derrick Rose & Tyreke Evans that WWW essentially landed them at Memphis for Calipari.

Does this mean that Rose is a family member of WWW? Is Evans a cousin of WWW?

The other interesting thing the NCAA really should have looked into more instead of allowing Calipari off scot free at Memphis, was the details surrounding Rose taking his final SAT test in Detroit.

Yes we all know, he failed it twice in Chicago only to pass it in WWW's hometown of Detroit.

The part that really should have caused more of an investigation, regardless of the NCAA & SAT cheating rules, is why was Rose with WWW the previous night anyway?

Answer: he was at an NBA game with WWW. That fact has been well documented.

That, in itself, is a major recruiting violation. Calipari's best friend (a non contact non employee, a shoe agent businessman nonetheless) takes a high school kid to an NBA game.

To this day, it is very hard to understand how Calipari slipped out of Memphis without any infractions.

[continued]

100 3 years, 4 months ago

[continued]

It is even harder to understand how he is still able to use figures like WWW & other non contact aides (one that was fired recently) without any punishment, even though there are multiple players & recruits who have spoken about what Calipari's "friends" have done.

The $200,000 story in the Chicago paper went away pretty fast. But I think you're right. The fact that the paper wouldn't retract the story & in fact followed up on it, in tandem with UK "forgetting" to sue or even discuss it further, tells me Calipari's friends are up to something again in Illinois.

But Calipari, I assure you... Has the cleanest hands of the group. Just like Nick Nolte.

For the record, this has nothing to do with the program our alum built... Very little to do with UK. This has everything to do with a cheater. As Nick Nolte points out... Having someone else cheat for you is even worse than cheating yourself.

Selbyville 3 years, 4 months ago

Stellar posting 100,

It's still amazing to me that if you're watching ESPN or CBS, the first thing they're going to say about Calipari is that he is a great recruiter. Really? Nobody but Bob Knight has gone against the grain and said ANYTHING about his violations or about how slimy the guy is.

He is the worst thing going in college bball right now, and has been for the last decade almost. It's incredible that the only coaches that get busted are the ones that come out and admit to it (Pearl, Calhoun)

It seems like the NCAA never throws it's weight around and goes after any program or coach if things smell funny. It's their job to make sure that these programs are operating by the rules, and they don't go after Calipari given everything that's out there.

If you and I can have the discussion why can't the NCAA? And given their resources, I'm sure that they have access to a lot more information than us. If he hasn't gotten their attention by now, I have to think he will never get busted

jhox 3 years, 4 months ago

Another nice post, 100. I'm sure KU probably isn't squeaky clean either, but clearly we're not doing whatever it is Cal is doing, or we'd be landing more of these top guys.

I do suspect most of the serious cheating goes on on the alumni side of things, at most schools. The Coaches want to be insulated, and may help direct it, but they don't want to know all the details. I have a friend who was an assitant at another Big 12 school, and he said virtually nobody is squeaky clean. It is also assistant coaches code that you take a bullet for the head guy if you get caught doing something illegal, even if the head guy dictated it.

He did admit that some schools take cheating to a much greater extreme than others, and coaches have a pretty good idea which schools are ignoring the rules the most. Years ago I heard Kelvin Sampson was one of the coaches other coaches despised, so it was no surprise when he was caught. The guys you hear a lot about these days are Drew, at Baylor, and Calipari.

Truth is, the NCAA doesn't really want to go after cheaters. They know it goes on everywhere. They just sit back and wait until something so bad happens that it cant' be ignored any longer.

Joe Baker 3 years, 4 months ago

Little Blue Nation is in denial. They would sell their state if it led to a NC. They'll never openly admit Scumbag is crooked but inside they lay awake each night wondering when the boom falls.

Face the Music FoulCats, face the music and get ready to take your medicine.

Joe Baker 3 years, 4 months ago

NCAA to a kensuck fan= National Calipari Athletic Association (we play by our rules as we go along when it's convenient in kensucky)

I was laughing so hard when reading the article on ESPN about Jones, Knight and Liggins declaring w/o an agent. Kensuck fans were praising Scumbag and the way he "follows" NCAA rules for OADs. I was literally rolling on the floor when they made comments about Scumbag's integrity for bball, recruiting and the uk program.

One kensuck poster even stated that he (cal) does what is right by the ncaa and the uk program- LOlolololololol

They are freakin' idiots in complete denial of the truth and reality. They are so wrapped up in the progress of the program, they don't care. To them, it's not about how they play the game, but all winning and losing. They want to win at all costs, even cheating. They will never admit that with his record and practices that he is violating rules, ever, never will they admit it.

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 4 months ago

KU was one of the reasons coaches really started to go after the OADs. Carmello was given so much credit when we lost in the NCAA championship that many coaches started looking for that one great freshman to get their team over the top. If we had made 50% of our free throws, it would have been our senior leadership that people would have remembered. Just my opinion.

Steve Gantz 3 years, 4 months ago

And there hasn't been a OAD since that's led his team to the title.

Theutus 3 years, 4 months ago

And Carmello didn't beat us... The little nobody white kid who couldn't miss a shot from half court and had the fluke game of his life is what beat us...

drwho127 3 years, 4 months ago

Hahaha...Jerry McNamara or whatever. Yeah he was unconcious.

jhox 3 years, 4 months ago

In fairness, McNamara turned out to be a very good college player. He was a great shooter. But at the time, I thought "How lucky can you get?".

I was in one end zone at the Superdome and he was coming off screens, full speed, 23 feet from the basket, body moving sideways, defenders hand an inch from the ball, and he was draining everything that first half.

Actually, what beat us was not any Syracuse player. It was our own poor free throw shooting. Not before or since has Collison ever had a free throw shooting performance as poor as that night. We were the much better team and, as KU teams have been prone to do, we had an off night at the wrong time, against the wrong team.

BCRavenJHawkfan 3 years, 4 months ago

Yep. And thus spawned the line of shooting savants that KU has encountered nearly every year since.

El Jay 3 years, 4 months ago

How many schollies do we have left? 4? b/c I think we're gonna land DD, Lacey, and Traylor and I think we have a REALLY good shot at the kid from LaSalle. Seriously, coach is about to have a MONSTER recruiting class. This could be his best class since he's been at KU!!! Not exactly sure how much that will benefit us next year (not saying we wont be awesome, just reserving opinion until I actually see all these guys play together), but the future is looking VERY bright!!! Rock Chalk

Joe Baker 3 years, 4 months ago

Yep- I like the way you talk.

DD- Murphy enrolls? Where the hell are they on spots? Lacey- uk? bama? really? Him and his dad both seem impressed with KU. Traylor's picks? KU is the biggest standout. Murray- W Virginia v. KU, really? need I say more?

Rock Chalk- Bring them home CS

BCRavenJHawkfan 3 years, 4 months ago

Jamari Traylor in his Chuck Taylor's Beat'in down the Jayhawk hater's.

I like the sound of that!

100 3 years, 4 months ago

The saddest part of that VCU loss for me still is how much I love the 64 team format. There was only one team who could get hot & beat KU with odd looking 25 foot jumpers from all five players: VCU.

It was a one in ten chance they would be that hot & a one in ten chance our guys wouldn't be warmed up enough to chase them around the three point line from the beginning of the game.

Ironically, if we would have played a 64 team tourney, the best ever devised...

We'd be hanging another championship banner.

VCU shouldn't have made the field.

But it's our own fault in the end. It took us ten minutes to guard their Theresa.

Makes a guy wonder...

How different would the outcome have been if we started the 2nd five & just hacked & hounded them full court for the first minute of the game before throwing in the starters.

Is that the type of ploy we need to pull on our starters to get the juices going against a midmajor like VCU?

One thing I've noticed with each one of these deflating losses:

As a team, we are not fully warmed up & pumped up to match the opponent at the beginning of these games.

Every time.

100 3 years, 4 months ago

I agree our "shooting" was not on.

But it all starts with our 3 point defense against a team like VCU.

Guard the three.

Then we don't have to test our shooting nerves, which apparently weren't warmed up either, I completely agree.

"Defense. Wins. Championships."

jaybate 3 years, 4 months ago

ralster,

If you can say the same thing about Tyrel, Brady and TT, then I can get down with it. But I have heard too much talk about Tyrel and Brady and TT not showing up for games in the Madness the last two years, not to point out that it was the bigs that really and truly got manhandled in the VCU game by VCU's superbly conditioned muggers in the paint. Kieff and Marcus hand their hands on their shorts five minutes in. They didn't have the muscle to play the VCU bigs even on a good night, and on a night when they got tired, because TRob didn't show and got in early foul trouble, man the Twins got smoked. Now, I quite agree with you that if the fouls had been called even remotely fairly and appropriately, every KU player in the paint, and especially Brady and Tyrel and TT out on the trey stripe, would have shot at least ten to 15 points higher than they did and KU would have won the game in a route, but...

In the Madness, since fouls are always called asymmetrically, or just plain not at all, and XTReme Muscle rules, then bottom line is KU's bigs and perimeter guys have to be able to out muscle the muscle ballers and to put it bluntly, Kieff and Marcus had even more trouble with the XTReme Muscle inside than Brady, Tyrel, and TT had with it on the perimeter, and Brady, Tyrel and TT didn't handle it very well at all.

With some time to reflect, the decisive factor in the VCU loss was fatigue. Our players, especially our bigs, just ran out of gas in the first half. The entire team was playing on fumes and down the stretch, they even ran out of fumes once they closed the gap.

jaybate 3 years, 4 months ago

Part of the cause of the energy outage was that KU got suckered into expending waaaaay to much emotion and energy on Richmond. Self let the team get too high and it played way too hard. Further, Self didn't play enough guys enough minutes against Richmond, when when he had the chance.

So: the KU team walks into a game against the best conditioned basketball team I have seen since Pitino's Louisville team the year that Cole began starting for KU, maybe the best conditioned basketball team since Tark's UNLV team that won it all...heck, probably the best conditioned team since Wooden's string of great teams.

Shaka has truly broken new ground on XTReme Conditioning for the XTReme Muscle era. I have never seen a 260 pound big rev his motor for 40 minutes the way that VCU big did! I was just amazed at how that point guard for VCU was able to run even TT ragged and TT had some blows with EJ coming in.

At every position, every VCU player was in vastly better condition than was his KU counterpart. It was amazing to watch. I never really thought I would live long enough to see another team in truly great shape, that was also strong enough to play XTReme Muscle. Even Brady, who is usually the most tireless guy on the team, when it comes to chasing on defense, even Brady's tongue was dragging 6-7 minutes into the second half. TT and Brady kept coming at them, but Self gambled way wrong on his team's gas tank that game. As I've written before, he should have reduced the game to a walk after the first five minutes of the first half. There was not a snow ball's chance in Bimini that KU could run with that team that night.

Again, the most important thing for Self to take from that game is: Shaka has proven that big bangers can not only be muscled up, but they can also get into XTReme Condition. Hudy and Self have to explore this new level of conditioning or muscle ballers. With players as good and as big as KU has and are, KU could really separate from the rest of D1 for a few years and win a few rings by mastering this XTReme Conditioning of Shaka's.

dynamitehawk 3 years, 4 months ago

I am excited to play Kentucky next year. Really excited. T-Rob: here's something to take your mind off your recent alleged indiscretions.... "O. W. N. T. H. E. U. N. I. B. R. O, W."

Seriously:

I can't stop looking at it. It's like an ugly chick with giant boobs - you can't help but stare and don't care that she knows... It is distracting, and I don't care what kind of game Davis has, T-Rob won't be able to get past this. I can't. In fact, whoever plays Anthony on scout should get a sharpie chisel-tip and draw a fat single brow for a month before the game.

Jim Stauffer 3 years, 4 months ago

Everyone seems to believe Selby has made his decision because the GM's have told him he will be drafted in first round. I believe he made his decision because he does not like college and simply had a bad experience (suspension and injury) and wants to move on.

He will probably end up in Europe or the D League.

HawkKlaw 3 years, 4 months ago

Well, yeah. Selby is the type of player that would have went straight to the pros if it weren't for the extremely lame "one year of college" rule. I do believe the millions of dollars he could potentially make definitely figured into the equation. Honestly, I doubt he'll end up in the Europe or the D-League his first season in the NBA. He'll get drafted and ride the bench for a year or two until his skills really start to develop (see Xavier Henry).

What does this have to do with Self going to Florida? lol