Thursday, April 21, 2011

Self pays visit to Florida prospects

Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self visited IMG Academies in Bradenton, Fla., on Wednesday to check in on senior prospects DeAndre Daniels and Jamari Traylor.

The 6-foot-8 Daniels, who visited Duke last weekend, told Rivals.com he has a final list of KU, Duke, Texas, Florida, San Diego State and Colorado. Florida’s Billy Donovan visited IMG earlier this week.

“The Duke visit was really good,” the 6-foot-8 Daniels said. “I loved it. The atmosphere there was like a family.

Zagsblog.net reports that because of a death in the family, Daniels will not travel to Louisville for Friday’s Derby Festival. Traylor, a 6-8 forward, will visit KU this weekend. He is also considering Oklahoma State, St. John’s, Texas Tech, Indiana, Memphis and Mississippi State.

York on the radar: Gabe York, a 6-2 junior guard from Lutheran High in Orange, Calif., recently received a scholarship offer from KU, Rivals.com reports. The No. 41-ranked player in the Class of 2012 has also received offers from Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, Connecticut, Marquette, Oklahoma, Oregon State, USC, Washington, and Washington State.

Murray may visit: Aaric Murray, a 6-10 sophomore from La Salle who has announced plans to transfer, may visit KU this weekend, according to Rivals.com. West Virginia and KU are believed to be his leaders.

Lacey at Derby: Trevor Lacey, a 6-3 senior from Butler High in Huntsville, Ala., tells Rivals.com from the Derby Classic that he has essentially cut his list to KU, Kentucky and Alabama. He visited Alabama last weekend and will trek to KU on April 29-30 and Kentucky after that.

Of KU, he said: “(Months ago KU) let me know that Selby and the (Morris) twins were going to stay there and it would be short minutes, and (Self) was like ‘You’re a pretty high ranked guy. You want to go somewhere and play as a freshman, and your minutes are going to be limited here.’

“I respected them for being honest with me. So when they lost those three guys, they came back at me hard. They approached with the same way when they let me know about the guys leaving. By letting me know at first, that’s why I was like, ‘That’s a guy I can trust.’’’

Comments

Jim Stauffer 3 years ago

Everyone seems to believe Selby has made his decision because the GM's have told him he will be drafted in first round. I believe he made his decision because he does not like college and simply had a bad experience (suspension and injury) and wants to move on.

He will probably end up in Europe or the D League.

dynamitehawk 3 years ago

I am excited to play Kentucky next year. Really excited. T-Rob: here's something to take your mind off your recent alleged indiscretions.... "O. W. N. T. H. E. U. N. I. B. R. O, W."

Seriously:

I can't stop looking at it. It's like an ugly chick with giant boobs - you can't help but stare and don't care that she knows... It is distracting, and I don't care what kind of game Davis has, T-Rob won't be able to get past this. I can't. In fact, whoever plays Anthony on scout should get a sharpie chisel-tip and draw a fat single brow for a month before the game.

Ralster Jayhawk 3 years ago

Jaybate, Kieff doesn't get much 'blame' for the VCU lost battle in the paint because most of his 'turnovers' were 50/50 calls like the charges, and the no-call muggings of both twins about 2-3X each half. A twin under the bskt with the ball, but ends up stripped/fouled/missed shot/3sec call: erase-a-dunk...just empty possession after empty possession. Heck, twins coulda/shoulda/woulda won that game by themselves despite whatever it was that our seniors were doing that game. (Just an uncharacteristic game by too many players at once). Summary: we realized the twins tried, sometimes "that's just the breaks, kid..."

BCRavenJHawkfan 3 years ago

Jamari Traylor in his Chuck Taylor's Beat'in down the Jayhawk hater's.

I like the sound of that!

El Jay 3 years ago

How many schollies do we have left? 4? b/c I think we're gonna land DD, Lacey, and Traylor and I think we have a REALLY good shot at the kid from LaSalle. Seriously, coach is about to have a MONSTER recruiting class. This could be his best class since he's been at KU!!! Not exactly sure how much that will benefit us next year (not saying we wont be awesome, just reserving opinion until I actually see all these guys play together), but the future is looking VERY bright!!! Rock Chalk

Mike Bratisax 3 years ago

KU was one of the reasons coaches really started to go after the OADs. Carmello was given so much credit when we lost in the NCAA championship that many coaches started looking for that one great freshman to get their team over the top. If we had made 50% of our free throws, it would have been our senior leadership that people would have remembered. Just my opinion.

jhox 3 years ago

100, let's not forget the pissing match that UK is in with the Chicago Sun Times over their top rated recruit Anthony Davis. The Sun Times had reported that the commitment cost UK $200,000. UK attornies threatened to sue if there wasn't a retraction, and the Sun Times doubled down and stood behind their story. This story has been remarkably quiet for several months now. My hope is the NCAA is investigating, and even better, the IRS.

Schools don't repeatedly land 4 and 5 top 25 recruits year after year, without something shady going on. I know Cal is a snake oil saleman, but nobody is that good.

IrishDaddy 3 years ago

ALL USA high school team

UK gets 2

UNC, Duke and Florida get one each, looks like the top talent prefer the East coast schools.

100 3 years ago

Well....

Here's who we're going against in the DD recruiting battle...

After reading this it really does make you wonder how many guys on (or off) Calipari's staff he has had doing questionable work for him (even if it's excessive phone calls like Sampson was banned for) over the years since the mid 90's to get to the point he's at now. Recall UK's most recent firing, the letting go of Calipari's aide for little to nothing at the time, only for the public to find out 6 months later after a Fox Sports report that Calipari's aide had been making phone calls to multiple recruits at both Memphis & Kentucky (& pretty damning quotes by Cousins if the NCAA cares at all, Cousins pretty much said he signed on with Memphis first & switched to Kentuvky second only because he was in contact with this Calipari aide "all the time".)

Is anyone else on this site fed up with what Calipari has gotten away with in the past (before Kentucky hired him & took with it Memphis's players) for him to be able to recruit the way he does now?

I really think those phone calls should come back to haunt Calipari. No other coaches can get away with this. Hell the facts are right there in the Fox article with quotes from 3 of Calipari's recruits confirming what appears very much to be what Nick Nolte had to admit to in Blue Chips.

Calipari = Don't do the dirty work. Yourself. Usually. Unless you're recruiting Michael Gilchrist. Then show up at practice a month early to recruit him & take away his high school's eligibility to play in the state tournament.

phog 3 years ago

Just saw The All USA selections, 2 for UK, 1 each for Duke, UNC and Florida.

Almost every kid on 1st, 2nd and 3rd team signed with East coast teams, what does that tell you?

Hank Cross 3 years ago

DD adding teams to his list this late in the proces is curious. Is he not sold on one of his previous choices, leveraging the schools against each other, or is something else going on? I get UF and SDSU, but CU seems like a real outlier. Maybe Tad is promising he can run for 40 and leave after a year with their thanks.

Annette Lee 3 years ago

Joseph Uchebo is 6'9" 240 and he's been released from his Loi...

bradynsdad 3 years ago

Will peters and Ellis be impact freshmen players? If so then if we can make it through this year with wither and trob I wouldnt be so worried. Yes I said Ellis, I believe he will he a jayhawk without a doubt. I am really happy that None of the kids that are coming in are OAD's. These next two to three years will be a good measure of wether or not to keep pursuing the OAD's or work on high recruits that will give us two to three years.

Steve Gantz 3 years ago

Hope he does a background check! I know, I'm a hater, a poser, a troll, a KSU and a MU fan.

cklarock 3 years ago

Go coach!

"By letting me know at first, that’s why I was like, ‘That’s a guy I can trust.’"

Absolutely. Honesty up front avoids a whole raft of problems later -- there are so many excellent reasons for a recruit to come play basketball at Kansas, there is no reason to shine up a used-car pitch; let's leave that to the has-beens and the Hill People.

IrishDaddy 3 years ago

"“Style of play is important to me. I want to play right away, and I want to play for a coach who will make me better both on and off the court.”

Oh well.......................

REHawk 3 years ago

From Trevor Lacey, nice insight into Bill Self's straightforward recruiting analysis. Prospects and their parents have to be impressed with such blunt realism. This kid sounds like the making of a man who might flourish in a Jayhawk uniform. Personally, I admire the wisdom of a recruit who waits til spring to sort through his best options. The early commitment of Woolridge, in retrospect, might have been too hasty for both parties. A good kid with promise, sporting NBA genes, but upon arrival Royce faced a tight squeeze for playing minutes. Gotta hope that the Zach Peters early commitment works out better. Zach's size should place him in a more propitious position for playing time; and he might be more patient in his time for development. The Dan Manning projects seem to improve exponentially by their third seasons.

Martin Rosenblum 3 years ago

6-3 guys are not exactly falling from the trees. But, we need bigs more seriously. By "bigs", I don't mean 6-8 185lb either. Ther has got to be a DJack out there that we can bring in for Danny to develop again. Another TRob would be nice, too. A footer who would give us three-four years should be high on the radar. OAD footers don't fit in at KU. The program needs continuity. Find some guards who can become part of a high-low game with that elusive big man and we're on track.

Michael Pannacciulli 3 years ago

Daniels isn't coming to KU - he should but he's shying away and has all year.

Lacey I see as a real prospect. Traylor - there's so little to go buy I have no clue. Let's hope he has a great visit...I remember my first time on that campus...and I did not get the red carpet treatment of course like these dudes do...I can only imagine...

The kid from LaSalle has talent and baggage. Self or Huggy are the type of coach this kid can probably benefit from...there could be fireworks but he will get great mentors, no B.S. We need a big badly, and the MANning can school this kid into a solid contributor based on what I have seen and read. But this is not going to impact us next season due to the transfer rules - so any excitement must be tempered.

We will get our guys, just let Self, Dooley and staff work there magic. RCJHGKU.

jhox 3 years ago

I find it interesting that Daniels isn't listing Kentucky. My guess is that's where he'll end up. I think Slick Cal had backed off of him, but with yesterday's announced departure of 3 players, look for the bank account to open up. I think they're the team to beat.

Duke would be a poor choice for the kid, as would Kenturcky. If he wants to be sure of significant playing time at a power program, KU is still the best choice for him.

I read somewhere that he has wanted to go to Kentucky all along, but that his Dad wanted him to go to Kansas. That supposedly came from someone close to his family (but the information was also dated--January, or so.)

In any event, look for Kentucky to get in the mix for him once again.

jhox 3 years ago

In any event, look for Kentucky to get in the mix for him once again.

Chris Bruning 3 years ago

UHHHH ME, early on it didn't look like Markieff would be ready for the league and talk was him and Marcus wouldn't split until in the NBA. and Selby? yeah didn't think he would go either. and i also was taking in early 4/20 celebrations :-)))))))))))))))

Tony Bandle 3 years ago

Since DeAndre is in school, in Florida, the addition of the Gators to his list is no surprise, however, adding San Diego State and Colorado is perplexing, to say the least.

My gut [and totally baseless] feelings:

Duke - His statement sounds like the ones we hear about Kansas just before we finish Number Two in the recruits choices...also early commitments will cut into his potential PT time there. Texas - Had he really wanted to go to Texas, he'd be committed by now. Florida - Like I said, he's in school in the state..no harm, no foul, no committment...besides, Bradley Beal is on the way. Colorada - Maybe he wants to learn how to ski? San Diego State - Maybe he wants to learn how to surf? Kansas - I hope DD listens to his pal, Trevor...he'll get a coach he can trust, the whole Jayhawk Nation as family and major, even starting, playing time. KU has been with him every step of the way.

Jeremy Bolinger 3 years ago

Bill Self thought that Selby and the Morris twins would be staying? I think he was taking in a little pre- 4/20 celebrations. Who thought at all that these guys would be back besides Self?

kufamtrad1 3 years ago

Have to love coach Self's honesty and great comment Lee about family even more than that its tradition. I disagree with most of these analyst saying that ku is scrapping up left overs in recruiting. Some of these guys will be nice additions to what we still have coming back and I think it will suprise some how good the returners will be. Coach keep up the good work in building the program by showing examples of integrity and maybe landing your "Home Run"......ready for 20112012.....Rock chalk

William Blake 3 years ago

"That’s a guy I can trust."

Wise statement!

lee3022 3 years ago

DeAndre, hearing that you have to contend with the loss of his grandfather, I am saddened by your loss. Take whatever time you need for family and the KU fans will be waiting when you are available. Condolences my friend. KU has long felt like a family and has especially drawn together in the wake of losses to Darnell Jackson, Sherron Collins and Thomas Robinson in recent years. I know you will feel right here, when you come.

KEITHMILES05 3 years ago

Very perplexing Daniels has now put Florida, SDSU, and Colo on his list. Instead of his list getting shorter it just doubled. It's been reported he has North Carolina State also.

Larry Smith 3 years ago

I like the honesty that Self shows with these recruits. People wonder why He does not get some of the top ranked players in the early signing period? He tells them like it is. No guaranteed minutes, and you have to earn your PT.