Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Hoops recruit Jamari Traylor to visit Kansas

Jamari Traylor, a 6-foot-7, 230-pound senior power forward from IMG Academies in Bradenton, Fla., will visit Kansas University this weekend, Traylor told Rivals.com.

Traylor visited Oklahoma State last weekend. He also has Indiana, St. John’s, Texas Tech, Memphis and Mississippi State on his list.

Meanwhile, Alex Murphy, a 6-8 forward from South Kingston, R.I., has decided to reclassify into the Class of 2011 and enroll at Duke next school year.

This may help KU in the recruitment of DeAndre Daniels, also a 6-8 senior forward, who visited Duke last weekend. He also has Texas, Kentucky and Oregon on his list.

KU men’s golf trio

on academic team

Kansas University seniors Jeff Bell and Nate Barbee and sophomore Alex Gutesha earned Academic All-Big 12 golf team honors Tuesday.

Bell and Barbee were named to the first team, while Gutesha was named to the second team. Barbee earned first-team honors for the third straight season to become the fifth Jayhawk to be named three times in KU’s Big 12 history.

Comments

ldjayhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

Daniels to KU! At this sensitive moment another big man commits to Duke definitely puts another twist in his decision making. How good is this Taylor? I recalled he isn't ranked...

100 3 years, 7 months ago

B. Anderson has the right idea..... This video is on his facebook page. Hopefully at the Derby classic he'll get a chance to chat with Daniels:

Michael Auchard 3 years, 7 months ago

Thanks for posting this link. I hadn't seen it a while. It's my favorite KU video. Might have had to wipe my eyes and blow my nose there...

Troll_or_AntiTroll 3 years, 7 months ago

Zag says:

Daniels’ grandfather passed away, however, and he will be unable to play in Friday’s Derby Festival in Louisville, and will put his recruitment on the back burner for now.

jaydeamin 3 years, 7 months ago

So cool, ready for Late Night in the Phog!!!

Torisen 3 years, 7 months ago

ESPN has Traylor as 3-star, grade 89 (fringe high-major recruit). Their bottom line: "Taylor is physically ready for college right now. He has great upside and will be an excellent glue guy or role player on the high major level."

Chris Bruning 3 years, 7 months ago

self is after him, he is either real good or almost real good

bennybob 3 years, 7 months ago

That mindset doesnt hold true this year.

Self would be after my grandma if she was taller than 6'7" this year.

cklarock 3 years, 7 months ago

Not true!

My grandma is 6'9", 255 with a soft touch, excellent knitting skills and a depression-era work ethic, but she hasn't heard a peep from KU!

David Hodges 3 years, 7 months ago

Does she have any highlight footage? Sounds like she could give Withey a little competition in the paint during practice.

Jack Wilson 3 years, 7 months ago

or we struck out on the top guys and are dangerously thin ....

LaJHawk666 3 years, 7 months ago

It's Traylor, not Taylor.

I think he's along the line of Anderson, so a real-deal pick-up but he's not expected to be an immediate big-time force. Three stars. Role player, not star....for now. I hope we get him.

T-Rob will get tons of minutes, but with the Twins gone, Withey still a question mark, and a freshman and a walk-on transfer...I think our front court is still wide open for pt. And with injuries and suspensions an inevitability, even Wesley may start a game or two.

So...

Great coach? Check. Playing time? Check. Top program? Check. Awesome Big Man coach? Check. Recent history of PFs going to the NBA? Check. Play with a huge home court advantage? Check. Potential to win tons of games and a NC? Check. Hot chicks and a cool school? Double check.

Come be a Jayhawk, Jamari!

Replace PF with SF and the above applies to you, too, DeAndre. Don't you guys and Christian all know each other already?

I think these guys would be crazy to go anywhere else, but I'm hardly objective.

huggybearhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

Great insight, Biz---thanks for sharing. RCJH!

Troll_or_AntiTroll 3 years, 7 months ago

Zag says:

lee3022 3 years, 7 months ago

Forget recruiting - take care of your family DeAndre. This opportunity will be here when you are ready. So sorry for your loss. Blessings to your family.

LAJayhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

Nice link. Check out the comments on the Scout.com article on the "links" page. Braeden says that he "may know something" on Daniels. Seems to be insinuating that DeAndre may be headed to Lawrence......

LAJayhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

No apology necessary. I understand your point.

jaybate 3 years, 7 months ago

Self is a flipping genius at recruiting, too!

If he lands DD, Lacey, Traylor and Aaric to go with Ben Mac, Nadiir, and Braedon, plus Zack and Perry next season, well, Self is apt to win two, maybe three rings the next couple of years.

It is just awesome what is taking shape.

Screw the home run metaphor.

The guy is going for a perfect game!

Robert Brock 3 years, 7 months ago

That is not a particularly impressive list. I don't see KU staying atop the Big 12 unless the recruiting picks up.

xfitter 3 years, 7 months ago

Tell me just how you get big men to commit to a school where they may sit behind T-Rob and the twins, when they want instant playing time? Other schools could guarantee time and exposure for next season, during the early signing period. Can't whiff, if you can't swing!

burnedout 3 years, 7 months ago

The twins? You do know they're gone, right? Or are you talking about the Doublemint Twins ? Can't swing if you can't get up to bat.

oldalum 3 years, 7 months ago

I believe he said "the early signing period" which was before the twins declared.

Joe Baker 3 years, 7 months ago

You're not serious? If so, I remember a not so impressive list at unc one time where some old man recruited and played three players. One of which didn't even make his high school squad. The unimpressive list included three guys named: Worthy Jordan Perkins

They weren't too impressive when they were recruited either. I think history teaches us differently now. Geez, give them a chance if you're serious. If you're being facetious, then ignore my attempt at the same.

burnedout 3 years, 7 months ago

What kind of rings are you talking about jaybate? Conference Championship rings? Because I'm pretty sure he'll have to figure out how to win a game or two in the second weekend of the NCAA's before you're talking about a ring that really matters. As poor as his record has been in the tournament (settle down weenies, i also remember 2008) no one should be talking about rings unless they're getting married.

ku_foaf 3 years, 7 months ago

Yeah, I hope he keeps up this "poor" record for a long, long time.

burnedout 3 years, 7 months ago

I have stated before that Coach Self is undeniably one of the top 5 coaches in America during the regular season. He's NOT when it comes to tournament time. This is not my opinion, his record speaks for itself. Here ya go:

2003/2004 - 3/1 - lost to Georgia Tech. 2004/2005 - 0/1 - lost to Bucknell (Yes, BUCKNELL) 2005/2006 - 0/1 - lost to Bradley (Yes, BRADLEY) 2006/2007 - 3/1 - lost to UCLA 2007/2008 - 6/0 - won National Championship! 2008/2009 - 2/1 - lost to Michigan State 2009/2010 - 1/1 - lost to Northern Iowa (well, you get it) 2010/2011 - 3/1 - lost to VCU (again, you get it)

For a coach of his caliber and the expectations that most KU fans have (obviously not you) that IS a poor record. I'm not suggesting that we should win the whole thing every year, but with the caliber of players that he's had since he's been here it's not unrealistic to think that we should have been to the Final Four more than ONCE.

ku1otaku 3 years, 7 months ago

Three of those loses you are referring to are in the Elite Eight. One Sweet Sixteen exit and then a few bad early loses. I think your expectations are a little unreasonable. Why don't you track Coach K's record the last 7 years...I'm sure his will be just as "impressive"

burnedout 3 years, 7 months ago

That's EXACTLY my point! Sweet Sixteen, Elite Eight - but ONE Final Four in all those years? With the talent we've had? Come on - my expectations aren't unreasonable - yours must be very, very low. If Kansas is supposed to be one of the "Elite" teams in the country, and we have been very blessed with a lot of talent, the players shouldn't be watching the last 2-3 games of the season ( OR the last 6 ) on TV. I'm not gonna track every coach in America for you to show who's a better tournament coach than Coach Self, but they are out there. Do you really believe that Butler has been a better team than us the last two years? They've been to the National Championship game both times.

John Randall 3 years, 7 months ago

I suppose it is naive to point out that, each year, every team in the NCAA tourney but one goes home with a loss and most of their fans feel it shouldn't have happened.

For instance, I remember one year that UNLV, Davidson, UNC, Memphis all thought they should have won at least one more.

It also is worth noting that fewer than half the #1-seeds each year actually win their Regional –– which is the admission ticket to Final Four.

Can you name the other coaches whose teams have been better than 17-7 at the Big Dance over these eight years?
Since you put the bench mark at 'top five', just name five others. Quick, now, we're waiting . . .

burnedout 3 years, 7 months ago

Here's two quick ones - same time period - Duke 19 -6, North Carolina 24-5 - and they didn't even make the tournament one year. It is really amusing to see you people that call youselves KU fans but you want to be OK with K-State type showings in the Tournament. Knock yourselves out - I for one expect more. Raise the bar.

Brendan Connolly 3 years, 7 months ago

So let me see if I got this straight. Coach K at Duke is such a good coach because he goes 19-6. Bill Self doesn't achieve however because he went 18-7. So in your eyes if Self would have won one of those games he would be great or if Coach K had lost one of those games he would be horrible.

Keep in mind this is a Duke team that has lost to a team named VCU in Round 1 of 2007 and until a questionable call against Deleware states Terrance Hunter, was in trouble of being the first 1 seed to lose in the first round.

I guess your grading curve is pretty cut and dry. One game makes all the difference.

burnedout 3 years, 7 months ago

(Deep breath) My point is that Kansas is consistently one of the winningest programs in the country, year after year - until the tournament. I don't really care what Duke, North Carolina, VCU or East Tennessee State does. Are you really OK with us winning 30 - 34 games per year and then falling apart in the tournament? You can justify it in your mind however you like, but when the particular KU teams that lost to Bucknell, Bradly, Northern Iowa and VCU get beat, it is a disappointment. I'm not talking about teams that go in as a 3, 4 or 5 seed and get beat - I'm talking about the teams that are ranked very highly all year long. Teams that go into the tournament as an OVERALL #1 or #2. Don't you think the expectations for them SHOULD be high? And, yeah, I saw that Duke lost to VCU. North Carolina also lost to George Mason. So what? They don't lose to those types of teams on a regular basis.. Those were called flukes. I can handle a fluke. It ain't a fluke when it happens regularly. Why do you want your team to be mediocre?

Brendan Connolly 3 years, 7 months ago

I don't. The point is you are saying look at coach K and how he does it right, and the only difference is on single solitary game over all those years in the tournament. It like saying a baseball player is horrible because in a playoff series he goes 6/21 and saying another is good because he went 7/21.

lee3022 3 years, 7 months ago

Can you name 10 coaches who have won more tournament games since 2003/2004 than coach Self? Sorry to be argumentative but that list of losses means nothing to me. Nearly every coach in the country has lost 7 of 8 in those years. Who they lose to is largely irrelevant since the end result is the same. This is a single elimination tournament. Any team can beat any other on a given day under this format (don't forget that to get to the tournament every team named above won their league or their league tournament to get there with the exception of Georgia Tech who beat Duke at Duke and only lost to UConn in the NC game.

Roy Williams got us to the final 4 but no wins there. Was that better?

burnedout 3 years, 7 months ago

lee3022 - better check your wikipedia stats. Roy won twice in the Final Four. 1990/1992 - beat North Carolina 79-73. In 2002/2003 beat Marquette 94-61. And yes, if you get to the Final Four, you've won 4 or 5 games along the way. That seems to be better than 0 wins, or 1, 2 or 3 wins.

bennybob 3 years, 7 months ago

Are you just trying to bait me?

I'm not going to give you the satisfaction.

KULA 3 years, 7 months ago

Yes, this recruiting class would be SO much better than any previous that even Bill Self couldn't screw it up. Three rings in the next couple years? Don't sell BS short, jaybate. With his tournament prowess, he'll probably win two or three rings each and every year from here on out!

burnedout 3 years, 7 months ago

Thank goodness. Someone else gets it. I was starting to think I was on a K-State site.

KULA 3 years, 7 months ago

Welcome aboard, burnedout. But be prepared to be castigated for showing one iota of objectivity instead of falling on your knees before Coach BS. There are certainly are plenty here who drop to their knees for him. It's not kusports.com, it's BSadoration.com. Btw, does your screen name refer to being burned out from having high expectations dashed year after year, lol?

burnedout 3 years, 7 months ago

Thanks KULA, I appreciate that. No "lol" needed though, that's EXACTLY why I chose that name! I honestly LOVE KU, but it's so disheartening to win the conference championship every year and 30+ games every year, be ranked in the top 5 (hope that doesn't upset anyone - last time I mentioned Bill Self as one of the top 5 coaches I got chastised) and still, somehow manage to find a way to lose to teams that nobody ever heard of before. (settle down folks, just a slight exaggeration). I suppose there were a number of other monikers I could have chosen, but after VCU, burnedout seemed as realistic as any.

jaybate 3 years, 7 months ago

P.S. And remember. Self usually signs one no one is even talking about!

Martin Rosenblum 3 years, 7 months ago

Are those the guys who leave after a season or two for more PT at another school? Ala, Royce.

selfishhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

Yup! And dimes to dollars Braeden transfers after his freshmen year. Probably Braeden and a guard. But that's no big deal according to this board. We're not building a program here, we're just fielding a team, year-to-year.

Nick Cole 3 years, 7 months ago

That is correct. We are not BUILDING a program...because we already have one. We are Kansas. For us, it is about fielding a team each year. That is how big time college basketball works, especially with the one-and-done rule. Now quit being so selfish...

bradynsdad 3 years, 7 months ago

What a great day to land Daniels and Lacey if it happens. I still think we will have some growing pains next year but at least none of these kids are highly touted one and dones. It would be great to get a solid freshmen class that stuck around two or three years.

gutter 3 years, 7 months ago

I saw Traylor play a few weeks ago in Chicago. He was very good and has a lot of skills. Danny can help him improve to the point where he could be a decent NBA prospect. I'd like to see him in a KU uniform but I doubt he wants to come off the bench for 5 minutes a game his Freshman year.

tdub 3 years, 7 months ago

Hey, no real information is allowed here. Only radical speculation tinged with doubt!!!

But seriously, thanks for actually posting something that matters.

xfitter 3 years, 7 months ago

At 6'7" and 230lbs already he could be a good fit to replace Trob as a banger down low when needed, i see him getting more than 5 minutes a game if he comes here.

drwho127 3 years, 7 months ago

Yeah I think he will get some playing time for sure. He's not just going to be a practice banger as some of you are saying. This guy has a lot of upside and after Manning works with him daily..watch out!

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 7 months ago

when reached for comment traylor said he was excited to play for college basketballs version of the cincinnatti bengals.

(no harm, malice, or trolling. just kidding)

Troll_or_AntiTroll 3 years, 7 months ago

You may be just kidding, but ESPN isn't:

KU's bad behavior beginning to add up

April, 19, 2011

By Eamonn Brennan

The Kansas Jayhawks are making unfortunate offseasons a habit. In 2009, players on the school's football and basketball teams got into a brawl, resulting in an on-campus investigation and an injury to hoopster Tyshawn Taylor. In 2010, Jayhawks brass were investigated for a massive basketball ticketing scandal.

The trend continues in 2011, this time thanks to Kansas sophomore forward Thomas Robinson. According to the Lawrence Journal-World, Robinson was cited to appear in municipal court by Lawrence police on a misdemeanor battery charge stemming from an April 10 incident outside a nightclub called The Cave.

According to the report, a 2 a.m. fight in the club -- one wonders if there are lots of fights in The Cave, because it sounds like the kind of place that sees a lot of fights -- spilled outside, at which point a bouncer reported being spit on and struck. According to one bouncer's account to the Journal-World, several Kansas basketball players were at the bar, Robinson among them. After a "person accompanying the players" got angry at the bouncers, things escalated, at which point Robinson reportedly threw the offending punch and accompanying saliva projectile.

This sounds like a minor incident, one of those unfortunate bar-close scuffles that happens when people drink too much and get too aggressive with the large men in charge of keeping the drunken animals at bay. If you spend any time in bars, you've probably seen this sort of thing go down. (Though you've probably never been so unwise as to punch a bouncer. Let's hope not, anyway.)

Unfortunately, there's another issue here. Robinson was born on March 18, 1991. According to its unnecessarily loud, Flash-based site, The Cave is a 21-and-over establishment. Fight or not, Robinson probably shouldn't have been in the bar in the first place.

In a vacuum, this is no big deal. Thing is, it didn't happen in a vacuum. It happened at Kansas. Assuming Robinson hasn't been falsely cited, his actions join the suddenly long list of recent issues with Kansas athletes, basketball players in particular. The football fight. Tyshawn Taylor's Facebook ban. Brady Morningstar's DUI. Markieff Morris's infamous dorm BB gun incident. Mario Little's arrest.

These things add up. How long until the sum of those parts -- whether fairly or unfairly -- seriously damages KU coach Bill Self's reputation?

That's a difficult calculus to figure, so instead let's just provide some free, easy advice to the student-athletes of America. Guys, don't get in fights with bouncers. Don't anger Division I football players. You'd think this stuff would be self-evident, but, you know, apparently not.

bradynsdad 3 years, 7 months ago

Unfortunately I think your right. Even though self runs a pretty tight ship everything that does happen gets put in the spotlight. For instance when Brady got his DUI self suspended him for the entire semester and it made national news. Texas' wangmene got one a few months back and no one heard about it, plus he only received a two game suspension. It's hard to control players when your not around them but I agree all this little stuff tends to mount up making self look bad. Let's hope he does something to change that.

xfitter 3 years, 7 months ago

How does Self issuing a fair punishment for the crime, on top of what the public enforcement issues them? In your response you make it sound like Barnes is the good guy for NOT punishing his player like he should have. Brady got his punishment and took his medicine, which helped him become more of an adult and face up to his mistake. Wangmene got off with a slap on the wrist, because Barnes is afraid to not have any of his players available. Self does more than 90% of coaches to make sure the discipline he issues the player is not only fair, but that it sends the message across that its unacceptable. He could sweep it under the rug like every other coach to save his reputation, or he could be real with everyone and come across as a genuine person unlike Calipari.

bradynsdad 3 years, 7 months ago

Xfitter I am not quite sure how you took it but I am in complete agreement with you. The punishment should more than fit the crime as well as send a message to everyone else. I was just commenting on how are program is in more of a national spotlight and even though selfs punishments are usually harsh no one seems to care about that, they just see the crime. I am all for punishment, heck I am all for making bob knight the NCAA commissioner and letting him deal with cheaters and rulebreakers.

JayHawkFanToo 3 years, 7 months ago

Eamonn Brennan writes about KU quite a bit and 9 out of 10 srticles are not favorable. He is an even bigger KU hater than Pat Forde. He has a marked bias against KU.

Troll_or_AntiTroll 3 years, 7 months ago

That's absurd. A few months ago, EB responded to UK fans who thought he was biased against them--

ESPN's Eamonn Brennan has a message for Kentucky basketball fans - he doesn't hate you, or at least that's what he explains his his mailbag article this afternoon.

Here is an excerpt of Brennan's response to a message from a person claiming to be a Kentucky fan:

1. I'm not sure why so many college hoops-related e-mailers (and not just the Kentucky fans, though they seem to do this more often than usual) assume that writers at national sites are biased for or against various programs. I won't speak for everyone writing about college hoops everywhere, of course, but we're really not. I don't know how many times this needs to be repeated. I don't care whether Enes Kanter players for Kentucky or not. If the NCAA allows him to do so, great. In fact, in a perfect world, I wish Kanter would get eligible, because he is reportedly a very good basketball player, and I really like watching really good basketball players play college basketball.

Other than that, I have no skin in the Kanter standoff. I like Kentucky's program. I think John Calipari is a very smart guy, an undeniably skilled coach and a master recruiter. I am not rooting for any outcomes, Kanter-related or otherwise, in regards to Kentucky basketball. Please stop thinking otherwise. You're making yourself angry for no good reason. Just chill out, you know?

1. Even if I was ruthlessly biased against Kentucky, and even if the whole world was out to get Big Blue Nation because it is "the elite program," or something, you, Tim, would not be qualified to say so. You are a Kentucky fan. You are, by definition, biased. There's nothing wrong with that, of course; passionate fans make college hoops great. But your Big Blue-tinted glasses make it impossible for you to judge bias. It's like people on extreme sides of the political spectrum arguing that moderate mainstream views are either liberal or conservative. You don't get to decide.

2. ESPN is not a living thing. It is incapable of expressing hate.

JayHawkFanToo 3 years, 7 months ago

Actually, your response is absurd; you obviously have Kansas (KU) and Kentucky (UK) confused. Your entire post is about Kentucky, which I did not mention in my post and has nothing to do with my comments. Go ahead and read all the articles he has written about KU (that is Kansas, for you) and tell me how many are favorable and how many are not and then see which answer is absurd.

Tony Bandle 3 years, 7 months ago

1] I think we all need to send Alex Murphy a thank you card for recommitting early. I think a 50/50 situation between Duke and KU just went 80/20 in KU's favor. 2] Traylor would be valuable at the very least as a "daily practice banger' to keep TRob in shape and spur Withey to actually do something with his career. 3] Lacey sounds like a winner.....but is BenMac a PT rival? 4] I wish Brock would elaborate on his comments when the list includes two top 25 players, a pure, talented point guard, a dead-eye three point man, three big bangers with a load of potential ready to be Manninged and Hudyed, plus one of the top players of 2012!! I don't get it?? 5] Jaybate..have you heard from kushaw or is he cruising the Carribean?

drwho127 3 years, 7 months ago

3) It all depends on the lineup Self plays. If we play small, we would be more athletic. Lacey would probably compete for playing time with EJ at the 2 spot. McLemore can play the 3 spot. Daniels would be at the 4 while TRob plays the 5. TT would be the pg.

If Self decides to go with our biggest lineup, WIthey would play 5, TRob plays 4 and Daniels would play 3. McLemore or Lacey would be at the 2. TT would be our pg.

This is Withey's time to step up..If he does not, then it opens up the door for players like Wesley, Anderson, possibly Traylor to show what they can do alongside TRob. This is also Releford's time to breakout as well. He knows the system and will be a vital part of the rotation.

sydhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

DeAndre Liggins, Terrence Jones and Brandon Knight just declared for the draft. I'd say this makes Kensucky the front runner for Daniels.

bradynsdad 3 years, 7 months ago

Where did you see this? Just curious. Although I still don't see Daniels going there. Cal still has a boatload of recruits coming in plus I believe lamb plays the three and he announced he was coming back. I bet braeden and Ben get him to come to ku when they play together this weekend. If uk's players did declare thanks for the fast update.

oldalum 3 years, 7 months ago

Apparently they are just testing and haven't signed with an agent. They could all be back. That would make Cal's scholarship numbers a bit tight.

Joe Baker 3 years, 7 months ago

They signed without agents according to ESPN.

Most believe Jones and Knight are definitely gone.

It won't matter, I don't think DD will go to uk.

drwho127 3 years, 7 months ago

Not necessarily. Kentucky has 4 5-star recruits coming in alongside Doron Lamb who said he was staying. Lacey and Daniels would probably be looking towards coming off the bench at Kentucky but they would definitely get playing time. Daniels would likely start at KU.

Jaminrawk 3 years, 7 months ago

That doesn't change the fact that they have Gilchrist, Wiltjer and Davis already committed. Seems pretty crowded at forward to me. His coaches are saying Duke, Texas, Kansas.

Joe Baker 3 years, 7 months ago

You bring up a great point syd. However, back when uk and KU were neck and neck, Cal got pissed and snubbed DD by withdrawing their offer. They went to pursue other players. They thought he was a KU lock. So, it will be interesting what DD chooses after being snubbed by dook (snobs) and uk (idiots).

KU has been right with DD all the way and never waivered with their offer. KU allowed DD to explore his options. Recruits really like it when coaches allow them room to think. Also, we have Garrett which is our voice of reason with DD.

Just like I told the delo poster, it's not over until he makes his decision. My guess is Cal is going to kiss DD's azz big time to win him over. I'm sure there will be some serious violations taking place too, just like Jones' situation. I guess we'll soon see.

Ty Mar 3 years, 7 months ago

yea I hope he's still growing-atleast he seems to play bigger than 6' 7"!

madamhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

Great news! My HUMP day just got even better!!!

d_park 3 years, 7 months ago

He's orally committed to Marquette.

loyal2thaphog 3 years, 7 months ago

I like the idea of signing Traylor. If he comes to Kansas, playing time, in my opinion, is definitely available. It sounds like he would be very similar to Matt Pilgrim and Marshall Moses who both played for OSU this past year. Both these guys were good and gave KU fits in the Big XII tounry...Who knows if he has any growing left to do, but if he adds one-two inches and puts on another 20-30 pounds...watch out!....Really thought Daniels would have committed to Duke by now, especially after his visit. It sounds like he is taking his time and will ultimately make a good, informed decision, although he can't go wrong with the one that leads him to Lawrence.... On a side note, when was the last time KU's roster had so many unknowns heading into the off season?

bennybob 3 years, 7 months ago

I bet Self adds a Daniels clause to this guys scholarship offer: If he doesn't come to KU, you don't come to KU

This kid, who is way below the average talent level KU brings in gets a scholarship after KU just brought in another below average talent to play the same position ? While at the same time KU expects to reload its whole front court with the next years class?

yeah, this kids recruitment has nothing to do with the top 10 player who Self wants to sign badly, who happens to play on the same team as him. Nothing at all!

drwho127 3 years, 7 months ago

You got to be kidding right? It's not all about the rankings. Traylor has a lot of upside and definitely can be developed.

Alohahawk 3 years, 7 months ago

Completely off topic, but nowhere else to bring it up: ESPN reporting that Thomas Robinson was involved in a fight outside a nightclub. Anyone know anything else about the incident?

milehighhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

C'mon now! It's been on the home page here a couple days, same with espn.com...

jaybate 3 years, 7 months ago

Oak,

No word on kushaw. I figure he has gone undercover to learn the real scoop on Daniels, Lacey, Traylor and Aaric. More than likely he is in Lexington getting first and second sources on reputed hair raising violations by Cal and Wes.

Also, don't even think of throwing in the towel, because of this bad bounce on the gut surgery. I can tell you are pretty sapped by the struggle, but you have to martial your resources and hang in. This is the off-season and a time for getting better. You will get better. Even though you are all Jayhawk, you still have some Missouri mule in you and a lot of kick left, too. Kick the stall for all you are worth, bray as much as you need to, but don't give in to the idea you are not going to get better. Don't ask me how I know these things, but I have a pretty good track record on these things. I can't make people get well, but I can tell who has a good chance to beat the odds. You are going to make it. Believe, as Self says.

jhawkr 3 years, 7 months ago

Traylor ! Something soothing about the words power forward coupled with 230 lbs. and KU needing big men. The recruiting class is shaping up and with Kentucky already loaded with talent sending some of their recruits to seats waiting on the bench, KU should benefit.

Speaking of Calasleazy, any possible violations shouldn't be earthshattering. To me it's the NCAA saying "Cal, we can't continue looking the other way and pretending that your worthless underlings did all the wrong doing." When Calasleazy threw his name into the NBA coaching carousel during the NCAA march madness, that told me a lot ......... Like the NCAA wolves are closing in and he is wearing a cheap skirt steak suit !

Ozarkace68 3 years, 7 months ago

With Daniels concerned about playing time it must not have been very comforting for him to see that Murphy had reclassified himself to the Class of 2011 and Duke approved it so now he has more competition from a 4 or 5 star forward depending on who you believe.

If he is looking for a place where he can come in and compete for serious playing time KU would be a nice fit both for him and for the Hawks. As for the California connection, it seems to me that is his home and CU could work that angle as well.

While one must take every thing said during recruiting season with a grain of salt I did like the comments of Lacey's father, following Coach Self's home visit.

Angel needs to have a visit with all her boys!