Originally published April 19, 2011 at 11:28a.m., updated April 19, 2011 at 03:13p.m.

Will KU basketball team play Wichita State? Zenger’s not so sure after hearing about ‘chickenhawks’ comment

Speaking to Lawrence Rotarians on Monday, Sheahon Zenger, Kansas University athletics director, didn’t hold back when asked whether he would consider playing Wichita State University in basketball.

He said that any scheduling decisions would be done in consultation with Coach Bill Self and his staff.

But Zenger said an email that someone had sent him — which said Wichita State coach Gregg Marshall had called KU “chickenhawks” — wasn’t helpful.

“You need to think about what you say, Mr. Marshall,” he said. “Don’t be flippant about your remarks about the flagship institution.”

Larry Rankin, an assistant athletics director at Wichita State, detailed the nature of the coach’s comments, which were made during a pep rally after the basketball team won the postseason National Invitation Tournament.

“During the rally a fan got Coach Marshall’s attention by yelling ‘chickenhawks’ during a lull in the speech, and Coach Marshall acknowledged him by reading the fan’s sign which also said chickenhawks on it,” Rankin wrote in an email.

Comments

clorox 2 years, 12 months ago

In the past two years WSU has beat Iowa, Kstate, Texas Tech, Nebraska, LSU, Alabama Virginia, Virgina Tech, Washington State, and cheated by the National Champions UCONN. I am sure they would have no problem beating the overrated thug KU.

clorox 2 years, 12 months ago

Armen Kurdian 2 years, 12 months ago

First off, as a KU grad and former mascot, super congrats to WSU for winning the NIT. The announcer said it best..."The NCAA tourney is Ruth's Criss, and the NIT may be Outback, but it's still steak!" Big time victory for the Shocks, as they get to be one of a very small number of Div I schools that got to end the year w/a victory.

I remember in 2006 when WSU got to the Sweet 16, I was in S. Korea, upset about KU's loss to Bradley, but it felt great to watch WSU from half a world away and cheer them on.

My only issue w/a KU-WSU matchup is that someone has to lose. So in that sense, I'd rather they not play each other, but it's fine if they do also.

As for the 'chickenhawks' comment...c'mon, Mr. Zenger, that's good-natured ribbing. I get it all the time from everyone I know.

Benjamin Piehler 3 years ago

Its hard to get offended by "Chickenhawk".

Anyway, I think it'd be great for the teams to play each other.

AirCapJay 3 years ago

Do you guys forget where Zenger came from? Now he is getting all uppity about being AD of the "flagship institution". I think he is just having a little fun with his former MVC friend.

jayhawkinnebr 3 years ago

Ku would get beat if they played Wichita ST. Ku is running away if Self is coaching.

William Blake 3 years ago

Gosh... you'd think that Hawk fans forgot that KU played 13 years in the Mo Valley!

Larryfloyd 3 years ago

KU was good this year. The rest of the big12...not so much so. I read comments on here about how would wsu do if they had to play a big12 schedule. They would have done well because the big12 this year was atrocious. Not every year for sure but this year the teams were just not good. The big12 this year should have been a 1 bid league and 11 teams would have been praying to get in NIT. If my beloved cats would have played in Valley, MWC,WAC,Horizon, or Atlantic10, they wouldn't have finished any higher then they did in big12. The reason is that the big12 was not a better conference and arguments could be made that they aren't nearly as good. There is a reason they didn't do better in tourney and that is that the teams were top to bottom NIT quality teams. And I really believe that the only team in big12 this year that was capable of winning NIT was KU.

Larryfloyd 3 years ago

It would be to KU's advantage to play Wichita State. I would suggest 1 for 1 on a yearly basis. I also think KSU should do the same. Wichita State is year in and year out a good program and I think the games would be very competitive. It would really ready KU for March games against the Valley because that seems to be what the committee likes to do. Playing Valley teams is tough because it really is a grind it out League with excellent coaches. A nightmare conference to be scheduled again come tourney time. Almost all the Valley games are low possession affairs with teams playing close to the vest and not much scoring. The kind of games that have given KU fits come tourney time. I think WSU was somewhat disappointed in how their season went. They were 29-8 but lost about 7 close games that could have gone either way. I think they would have fared very well in big12. I think they would have probably finished behind KU but really think that talent wise and coaching wise they would have been right at the top of league. To think otherwise is just not to watch much BB outside of big12 games. I'm actually a ksu fan (lifelong) but think this years's shocker team would have spanked the cats.

Ralster Jayhawk 3 years ago

Keep it real: WSU players vs. KU players on the hardwood. Marshall vs. Self. Outcome?

Related question: Put WSU right now into the Big12/10 conference. Make them play every Conf. team x 2 like we do. Outcome?

Final question: Just how delusional are these WSU people posting on a KU site what they are posting? (get real)

I say put shockers in the BigXI, so we play them twice, and schedule them for an exhibition game in Koch Arena (just for them...), and play them 3X per yr, and ask all these shocker fans "how u like it now?" about 3-4yrs down the road.

William Blake 3 years ago

We should just man up and play the Shocks... no more excuses.

It would be fun to watch, and better than playing them in March, like we did last time (and lost)!

I'm not afraid of WSU! And if your only reaction is "what do we get out of this?" then you could say the same for most of our non-conf games. Wichita has a 15k brand new arena... plenty of gate $.

jayhawktalk 3 years ago

I doubt Zenger's comment had anything to do with the "chickenhawk" comment. He simply used it to segue into this, "[we are] the flagship institution.” I am sure the chickenhawk comment is not keeping him up at night, nor does it bother him in the least, other than over joking over lunch about the 'non'possibility of KU playing WSU for all the reasons detailed by previous comments.

He'$ ju$t $ayin', take your $elf important, $marta$$ chickenhawk comment to the bank, and $ee what that get$ ya. The only $ $ign$ you will $ee from thi$ will be from ignorant W$U po$ter$ on a KU me$$age board.

cobweb 3 years ago

Lighten up, Sheahon. You have to have a sense of humor to be at KU. Worry about something important.

okiedave 3 years ago

I agree with martyks. This sounds like children getting upset because "somebody called me a name". OU and OSU did not want to play Tulsa Un. in sports because OU and OSU had nothing to gain from a win but a lot to lose from a loss. Sounds like Zenger may be using this as an excuse for a way out of the match up. If we play Fort Hayes State and Emporia State, why not move up one notch and play Wichita State.

danmoore 3 years ago

If only we were a$ rich a$ Pwnage think$ we are.

martyks 3 years ago

Gosh, they actually called us chicken hawks. Horrible. Come on guys. We need to get over ourselves already. I am more into the idea of playing them now than before I heard this comment. It's funny, first of all. Chicken hawks, if you take a look at the one who gives Foghorn Leghorn problems, actually look meaner than the Jayhawk does. Secondly, let's play them and beat the ever loving stuffing out of them and then, we can start a chant, "You just got beat by a chicken hawk!" What is the big deal here? We play MO and they have been horrible for decades, refusing to even spend a night in Lawrence? The Wildcats fans have thrown pennies on our players. This is nothing. Play these guys and settle it on the court.

kcjaydoc 3 years ago

Oh Zenger, you just won my heart. Amazing.

Gene Jackson 3 years ago

I saw the video - definitely a slam - was not responding to the sign. But what do you expect from a school with now a big head? I say play them anyway. It will certainly make a lot of cash and generate a lot of press. Their coach, however, needs to cool down and not get in to name calling.

Jack Wilson 3 years ago

Lots of "missing the point" here.

WSU is 2 1/2 - 3 hours down the road. They are D-1. They have a good program. And we duck them. They are not below us. One might argue Bradley, Bucknell, UNI, or VCU are below us. One might not. One might consider that the same "look down your nose" approach of some on this message board might be the same approach our players have fallen prey to in the tournament. One might not. One might argue that having your team prepare and play a quality "mid-major" a couple times a season, maybe even in a hostile environment, might perhaps permit your players to understand the mental approach to such a game in the tournament. One might not. One might argue that a potential loss to a mid-major in the regular season, or loss of a bit of gate revenue, might be worth the potential upside in the development of your team. One might not.

It serves us no purpose to insult WSU .. meaning KU fans.. Does that really make a KU fan feel better? After all, that's what it is all about, right? They know their program is not the same type of program as ours. And we don't need to pound our chests about it, and insult WSU. Though as we see on the basketball court, chest-pounding and screaming at an opponent, and the drawing of attention to the selfish individual player is a regular occurrence ... perhaps just an unfortunate shift in our culture. But we need not be drawn in.

Zenger gets upset about a "chickenhawk" comment, and who cares about the context ... be secure in your crimson and blue. It is embarrassing that our AD would respond to that, or that he would even take offense (again, regardless of context). Really, very embarrassing that he would even bring it up.

My preference would be a quiet confidence, and a response that might include -- any place, any time. Of course, a nice home and home would do just fine.

Pwnage 3 years ago

Classic comment from the supremely arrogant institution that is Kan$a$ Univer$ity.

A corrupt athletic department, a basketball program that can't stay out of jail, and a fan base where 90 percent have never even been to Lawrence.

Go Kan$a$ Yankee$!

Chris Bruning 3 years ago

so will WSU hang a banner for placing 69th this year??? i believe they received votes for preseason top 25 last november. Wichita State CHOKERS is more like it.......

justajoe 3 years ago

For the record, I'm a KU grad and fan. Having said that...

My impression of our new AD is not a favorable one, based on his ridiculous and childish statements quoted in this article. I kept waiting to come to the line where he'd reveal that he was really just joking. He sounds rather immature, as in I'm taking my ball and going home, crying to my mommy, because little Greggy called us chickenhawks. Boo Hoo. Please dry my tears and give me a hug and some chocky puddin, pwetty pwease!!

Speaking of our childhoods, I recall that when someone wouldn't play someone else in a game, and for no good reason, that kid was inevitably labelled a chicken. What's the difference here?

I can recall Roy Williams taking an occasional shot at KSU when he was here, but somehow all these posters who are so offended by Marshall's repetition of an excited fan's use of the word chickenhawk didn't seem to have a complaint when ole Roy was dishing it out. What a bunch of hypocrites. It's a game, people.

And how silly is it for an AD to play the "flagship institution" card when speaking of athletics. Give me a break. Alabama and Tennessee are flagship institutions too, and what do you think of the way they conduct their athletic programs?. And isn't it just a bit ironic that Zenger's comments appear on the same day where we read that yet another of his "student-athlete," flagship institution representatives is in trouble with the law. How many is that so far this year? Please forgive me, I've simply lost count. I don't seem to read about such problems at WSU, and we're not even addressing the arrogant felons who recently populated our athletic department. Maybe if we started hanging around the Wichita State athletic program a little, some of their habits would rub off on us and start mending that black eye we insist on showing the nation.

And perhaps if our head coach wasn't afraid to schedule the WSU's of the world he wouldn't have such an embarrassing and recurring mid-major problem come tournament time. So, how many Missouri Valley teams does it take to knock you out of the tournaments in the early rounds for you to finally get the clue that playing these teams makes you better when it counts?

For goodness sake Zenger (and Self), grow up, grow a pair and schedule the games already. What have you got to lose? Oh, sorry about that, that fear of losing is exactly the point, isn't it.

Martin Rosenblum 3 years ago

When was the last time KU played in the NIT?

And, why have we not played in the NIT?

How many teams does the NCAA tournament have to expand by in order for WSU to bid farewell to the NIT?

Winning the NIT is nowhere as impressive as winning the B12 championship.

Mike Kendall 3 years ago

I live in the Wichita area, too, just like a lot of other Jayhawk fans. I saw the Gregg Marshall reference of "chickenhawks" at the televised party in Koch Arena. I kind of had a feeling that something was going to be mentioned because of the Shockers success in the NIT. I, personally, wasn't too offended, because like someone pointed out above, Mizzou is the worst when it comes to signs and baiting coaches and players. If there is a game or games to be played between KU and Wichita State in the future, the contests will be fierce. Some of feelings of Shocker fans feel like that the Jayhawks are the big bully. I don't think that is the case. Like another poster mentioned above, I was rooting the Shockers on to win it all in the NIT. I am a fan of Gregg Marshall because I believe he is a really good coach. I would hope that there would be some Shocker fans that root the Jayhawks on in a Post-Season Tournament. However, I don't think there are too many of those fans around. I don't think HCBS will say yes to this at all, and, it all kind of starts with him. Sorry, Shockers----it is not going to happen----get over it!!!!!

IrishDaddy 3 years ago

Zenger should be more concerned with jail birds than with chicken hawks,,,,

John Sheehan 3 years ago

Congrats on winning the NIT Title - I think that's cool!

And I personally would love to play you every year. But we don't have to. It benefits you more than us. There's a reason for that. So don't get cocky and act like KSU. Shocker fans are better than that, just like KSU fans are better than Mizzou.

BTW - Once Marshall wins a game or 2 in the NCAA, don't be surprised if he bails. Hate to say it, you're not a destination program yet. I hope you'll become one.

But getting overly excited about the NIT and delusional about beating big brother makes you look small time...hell - Jacob Pullen motivated his entire team and turned their season around by saying there was no way he would even play in the NIT. That's how you act the part. Don't be satisfied with basically being the 69th best team.

Rock Chalk and MTXE!

Viggo3003 3 years ago

I think all you chest bumpers are missing the bigger picture as you want to high five your AD. The great AD's work in the background working to help the coaches get the glory and fame. This is what makes them great. When you get an AD that is into self promotion (e.g. Al Bohl) you inevitably will lose great coaches as you get into battles of egos.

Regardless of what you think about Wichita State if Zenger continues to want his name in lights this will cause problems.

Now add to the fact that I have had conversations today with 4 people in Wichita who were at the pep rally at Koch Arena in Wichita and all of them back up the statements of ICT_KCMO above.

The best thing we could ever hear about Zenger over the next three years is nothing.....or if we do it will probably be about him having to hire new coaches. Hopefully not a men's bball coach.

bbhawk234 3 years ago

The hell with Wichita State. Who even cares is we play them or not. Seems to mean much more to them than to us. If they want to disrespect us then no waywe should even letting them in the fieldhouse. For god sakes we are taking about WSU they are naval lint to us and KSU for that matter.

actorman 3 years ago

Thanks for the update, ICT. It's always better to get an eyewitness account. A shame that our AD didn't try to do that before spouting off based on an email. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate his passion. But he should really know his facts before saying something. (This is assuming, of course, that ICT's account is accurate.)

All that being said, a home and home would still not be in KU's best interests, although perhaps they could consider a 2-for-1 deal.

jayhawkinnebr 3 years ago

Wichita ST. would beat KU if Self and Budweiser Brady had anything to do with it. Bring on Wichita ST. at least they won a tournment, KU got beat by a little team, again, and again.

ICT_KCMO 3 years ago

Internet rumors and speculation crack me up. I attended the event at Koch Arena with my wife who is a WSU grad. I sat at center court three rows up. Yes, there were a couple of guys who thought they would be clever and brought signs that read 'Chickenhawks'. Gregg Marshall did not say or refer to KU as 'chickenhawks' - the guy was standing 15 feet away from me. There was some person in the court tunnel who yelled out 'Chickenhawks' while GM was speaking. This brought a few chuckles, GM paused and shrugged his shoulders then continued on with his speech.

GM did say, "does Alabama wish they had a few of our players?" I live in Wichita and evidently this spawned from pre-game comments by some Alabama players who were talking trash about how WSU did have the talent to compete with a BCS program like them.

I support KU first and foremost and I like WSU because my wife has turned me on to them, besides they represent our state so I will support any program from Kansas above all others. However, I hate to see internet rumors falsely tarnish someone's reputation when in fact that person did not commit the alleged 'crime'. If you think he said it, stop, he didn't, I was there and this is from a KU fan who was in attendance surrounded by rabid WSU fans. Uncomfortable yes, but I have to tell it like it was.

David Hodges 3 years ago

Sort of off topic but it relates in a humorous way... At work today I noticed a kid wearing a K-State Shirt that read as follows--"84-68 St. Valentines Day Massacre". I literally laughed out loud... they have so little to celebrate about their basketball program that they choose to make t-shirts that celebrate winning one regular season conference game against KU. I guess they are just tired of all their t-shirts not having any major accomplishments to celebrate. KU makes shirts for being Big 12 Champs, going to the Final Four, and National Championship wins. For that other Kansas program, the one that doesn't win much, beating KU once (and only the second time they have ever beaten KU in the Hawktogon of Doom, KU won the first 19 games in Bramlage) is apparently all they have to offer to the screen-printers. Even though its true purpose was assuredly to gloat; for me, I see it as the ultimate form of flattery--Beating KU is like winning the National Championship! So thanks K-State fans! Thanks for inadvertently celebrating KU's premier basketball tradition by memorializing one game. KU does it too... our shirts just celebrate winning our conference year after year, numerous trips to the Final Four, and our historic National Championship wins.

Eric Baker 3 years ago

GoShox: Don't kid yourself. Look, I'm from Wichita, I'm a big Shox fan, I'm even transferring to WSU next semester. But a KU-WSU early season non-conference game would absolutely not be more popular than the two heated conference games KU and KSU play every season. Not to say it wouldn't be very popular, but don't exaggerate.

As for KU already playing a game at Intrust, from what I understand, USC actually offered to play their home game of our home-and-home series with them at Intrust. So, of course KU is going to take a game played in Kansas, even at a smaller venue than Allen Fieldhouse, over one played in another state entirely. We'll see if we keep playing games there, I imagine this is being used as a sort of test game.

I'd love to see KU and WSU play a game against each other every season, but the fact is WSU gets much more out of it than KU, in terms of both money and exposure. The Shockers need it a lot more than the Jayhawks

GoShox 3 years ago

This "no incentive" and financial argument make absolutely no sense. If KU played WSU at Intrust Bank Arena it would be the biggest and most profitable college basketball game ever played in Kansas. It would be on national TV, it would be sold out with KU ticket employees scalping tickets on stubhub (oh maybe not...), the arena could sell beer, suites are available, etc. If there is truly no incentive then why is KU playing anyone in Wichita? That is nothing but an excuse. A pathetic excuse at that.

hawkbono1313 3 years ago

Shockers blow. Missouri Vally is overrated. Don't waste your time

tauck 3 years ago

HEY WSU Come talk to us when you get into the Sweet Sixteen, the Elite-Eight, the Final Four or god forbid you play in a National Championship game. Once that is done maybe you can talk. Until then...STFU!!!! Just for good measure, how about winning just 1 National Championship and then we will talk. Never forget that the NIT tournament is short for NITWIT.

BigAl 3 years ago

Just to keep things a little in perspective, when KU plays Washburn, Emporia State and Hays.... they are exhibition games. They DO NOT COUNT. I don't know why some people don't understand this.

I also remember way back when WSU did beat KU. WSU sold tv rights all over Western Kansas, pre-empting Monday Night Football (I think) and refusing to share any revenue with KU. Then they put up billboards all around with the score. They were doing their very best to humiliate KU.

Maybe some of you old-timers will remember that better than I do but either way, KU simply doesn't need WSU.

GoShox 3 years ago

I am still offended that your previous coach, that guy who won the title at North Carolina, said he wouldn't "play a charity game" when asked why KU didn't play WSU. Evidently Washburn is not a "charity game."

On another note KU Fans, how did you like the Northern Iowa and Bradley apples in the "big dance"? Luckily you squeeked by Southern Illinois otherwise you would have a goose egg up on the Mo Valley in the win column for the last decade.

Torisen 3 years ago

Reminds me of a scene from "First & Ten", an old HBO football comedy series... From what I recall You had two of the linemen (call em "Tank" and "Rock") in pads in the locker room having an argument:

Tank: "Is not!" (pushes Rock) Rock: "Is so!" (pushes Tank) Tank: "Is not!" (pushes Rock) Rock: "Is so!" (pushes Tank) Coach walks by, says: "What's the problem here?" Tank: "Tell him! Wichita is not a state!" Rock: "Coach, I went to WICHITA STATE UNIVERSITY!" Coach: "Rock is right, boys." (walks away)

jhox 3 years ago

I would have been all for playing them, until their coach mouthed off like that. Now I say forget them. They need a game with us much more than we need one with them.

Love our AD making that comment. Sounds like we're on exactly the same page. I didn't like WSU back when they were paying players under Smithson, and I don't like them now. I had started to soften when Turg was there, but no more.

Eff em.

namder 3 years ago

WSU has little man's disease!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jacobpaul81 3 years ago

Forum Logic 101:

So you're a valley team and you know your only chance to make the NCAA is to win your conference tourney. The reasoning behind it is stupid (3 teams from the Valley should have been in), but you know that reasoning is in place going into your tourney.

Leading up to the tourney, you blow games to VCU and Missouri State.

Entering the tourney, you draw and beat Bradley. Big whoop. They are last in the MVC... but you get all proud...and you show up against Indiana State and let a bunch of boys from Rockville and Terre Haute whoop up on you. They go on to beat Missouri State and steal the NCAA tourney spot from you.

So now you're stuck in the NIT... and you win it... as you damn well should. You should have won the valley and lost in the First round of the NCAA tourney... but instead you lost to VCU, MSU and let Jake Odom rip you a new one.

Then you show up on Kansas forums, crying about wanting a series between teams because your program is improving so-much.

If anything, KU should be scheduling Indiana State.

westernkshawk 3 years ago

I thought the way the Wichita State coach acted following their NIT championship (and the way he talked about other teams) was totally unprofessional. Makes it look like he is unaccustomed to success and let it go to his head. After all, ALL NIT teams were teams that didn't make the NCAA tournament so, while they played well in the NIT, it doesn't make him any kind of a basketball guru or his team anthing out of this world. He needs to keep things in perspective before he makes an ass of himself more than he already has!!

kgraham648 3 years ago

"But Zenger said an email that someone had sent him — which said Wichita State coach Gregg Marshall had called KU “chickenhawks"

He received an email that said someone said Marshall said this. So he didn't hear it himself, but someone else told him he said that. He said, she said... I'd agree with MrDrBr43's post, if he did say it, he was probably responding to something in the crowd. Marshall isn't a tool.

Maybe if they played a team like Wichita State every year, they'd quit getting bounced by MO Valley team's in the Tourney.... Bradley, N. Iowa...

76ku 3 years ago

There just isn't a down side to KU playing the Shockers, home and away, each year. The Intrust facility is first class. Keep our revenue in Kansas instead of the Sprint Center in Urban Blight, MO. We should also play another mid-major each year, starting with VCU, Bucknell, Bradley, N. Iowa...home and away. If we lose, we still win. Losses don't hurt early and Mr. Self could learn how to beat these teams. It is obviously his Achille's heel. Roy wouldn't play WSU. He said either way, we lose. Simply not true. Tons of fun and a real money-maker. Let's do it!

Viggo3003 3 years ago

If poor Sharon Zenger is worried about a little WSU banter then I have to say I lost a little respect for her.

monarchs20 3 years ago

Something needs to be clarified. WSU is being referred to as a quality mid-major program. KU regularly plays quality mid-major teams like Memphis, Belmont, Oakland, Temple, Colorado State etc. Teams that make the tournament a lot more frequently than WSU who has only made it once in the last twenty plus years. WSU is not a quality mid-major program and certainly not one that should be dictating top tier programs come to their place.

BewareOfThePhogOnTheWater 3 years ago

Sheahon Zenger is the best! What a polar opposite of Lew. We sure imnproved our Athletic Department when we got rid of Lew and hired Sheahon.

Ludwig Supraphonic 3 years ago

Welcome Shocker fans! It's great to be part of a relevant program where other fans flock to our websites.

RockChalkGuy 3 years ago

WSU won the NIT? Huh. I never would have know, if it weren't for this article.

HawkKlaw 3 years ago

Why does it matter if he called KU "chickenhawks"? Lol. Shouldn't that make KU want to play WSU even more? It makes KU sound like a bunch of, dare I say, "chickens" if we're afraid to play a team coached by someone that called us "chickenhawks." "Chickenhawks" isn't even that bad of an insult! Let's grow up and get down to business here. KU needs to play teams like WSU early in the season (as opposeed to Washburn, FHSU, Emporia State, etc), and WSU wants the chance to bring down a powerhouse like KU. Let the games begin.

Matthew Fowler 3 years ago

"Home and home" ' s are all about money and right now, there is no financial upside to KU hosting one. There would be for WSU, but not for us.

Steve Gantz 3 years ago

So what if he called us Chickenhawks? Are we that insecure?

And correct me if I'm wrong, but Marshall didn't refer to WSU as the states' flagship university, it was Zenger who used that term.

Ed Brown 3 years ago

Don't forget the last time WSU won against KU. The real plus is the money stays in the state of Kansas when they play just like with Washburn, Fort Hays State, etc. WSU has had some great players in the NBA, too, and KU has had some great players from the city of Wichita. Lafayette Norwood, the coach for Wichita Heights turned out some great players like Darnell Valentine and Antoine Carr before he was an assistant for Ted Owens in 1977. I say BRING IT ON!

drewdun 3 years ago

phoggydrive 3 years ago

We already have yearly home & home series with an in-state mid-major on the schedule. Why play another?

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years ago

When you argue with an idiot it's hard for people to tell who's who. Just ignore wsu and let them drive themselves crazy. The best answer SZ could of given was "no comment" don't stoop to their level.

blackhawkjayhawk 3 years ago

Kudos, first, to the AD. Marshall must be a tool. Now....can anyone explain to me any benefit to KU for playing the Woo Shocks? Other than some form of misplaced guilt, how does it benefit our program? It's a no win all lose situation. Keegan was wrong, it won't help us win the NC, it just puts us in a bad position.

The KU AD's job is to take care of KU. Everything else is secondary.

KGphoto 3 years ago

Quote of the year.

Get after it Zenger! I Love it!

MrDrBr43 3 years ago

The only reason this comment was made by Gregg Marshall is because of the stupid-@$$ term "mid-major." He made a comment about the ignorance of that term, then asked the crowd, "How mid-major do you think Washington State, Virginia Tech, Alabama think our players are?" After he said this, he saw a Chickenhawks sign (extremely ignorant). Never once did he call out KU, slam the university. He was simply reacting to a sign in the crowd. If that sign hadn't been there, front and center, no comments about KU would have been made. But I'll ask, how mid-major do you think VCU's players were?

SeniorMoment 3 years ago

I am a huge Jayhawk fan--couple of kids who graduated from here. That said: KU is regrettably cautious about playing a quality program, especially one from in-state. There is a great upside to this matchup--fan interest, a "neutral facility" in Wichita's Intrust Arena for the home & home arrangement, strength of schedule benefit from a preseason game, etc. And maybe we would be better prepared to play VCU, eh? Don't scold, Mr. Zenger: SCHEDULE it and answer on the court.

Troll_or_AntiTroll 3 years ago

Mr. Marshall needs to learn his place. We are, after all, the State's "flagship" university (sorry, K-State). All those who speak ill of us (even though it be the truth) are but trolls.

SelbyInc 3 years ago

I hope we play WSU.... i was happy for them when the won the JV tournament in NY.... and i watched the celebration for the JV tournament on TV..... it was good until they started talkin about chickenhawks...... to clear things up.....you won the NIT...... thats kind of like kissing your stepsister (a good looking one) you enjoy it, but at the sametime you dont feel that great about it.... If Ku plays wsu they will dominate them in every area..... shocker fans need to come back to reality and realize that...... ya, you played VCU close, and probly should have beat them. Yes, VCU beat us.... did they hit 9 three's in the 20minutes on you? no. did we shoot 11% yes.... does that sometimes happen yes.... do i hope Ku plays wichita and puts them in their place? absolutely.

jayhawkinATL 3 years ago

Damn city college has a chip on its shouldler...LMAO

hailtoku 3 years ago

Zenger is the man.

I would gladly play WSU before March.

Saguaro_Jayhawk 3 years ago

Not sure SZ understands the context of the "chickenhawks" remark. It was initiated by a WSU fan at a post-NIT rally and GM then commented about it. All considered, it was harmless.

Kratos 3 years ago

I hope they do play. Im a huge KU fan but I'm a student at WSU. It would be a tough game for me but any result would be good for me.

ZDKC 3 years ago

Awesome quote. I like this guy

d_prowess 3 years ago

I like the fire this guy shows at times!