Sunday, April 17, 2011

Josh Selby’s jump to pros might help KU basketball recruiting

College basketball recruiting notes ...

Kansas University freshman Josh Selby’s decision to enter the 2011 NBA Draft may have helped the Jayhawks in the Trevor Lacey recruiting sweepstakes, Rivals.com recruiting analyst Jerry Meyer says.

Lacey, a high-scoring, deadly shooting 6-foot-3, 200-pound combo guard from Huntsville (Ala.) Butler High, has a final list of KU, Alabama, Auburn, Kentucky, UConn and North Carolina State, which is now led by former Alabama coach Mark Gottfried.

“The (KU) roster now has a gaping void at the shooting guard position and Lacey would fill that need nicely,” Meyer wrote. “He has a superb basketball IQ, is physically ready and is an outstanding long-distance shooting threat off the catch.

“There is no doubt that instant playing time is a major factor in Lacey's decision, but Kansas faces heavy competition for Lacey. Alabama — Lacey’s ‘backyard’ school — is in need of shooters and has available playing time. Kentucky has developed a strong relationship with Lacey, and if Brandon Knight leaves school, Lacey could very well end up in Lexington,” Meyer added.

The No. 34-rated Lacey, who averaged 31.4 points a game last season, was scheduled to be on Alabama’s campus this weekend. He has said he would like to fit in a recruiting trip to KU in coming weeks, before the May 18 end of the spring recruiting period.

“It (visit to KU) is definitely going to happen before I make my decision. I’ve seen the reports that I’m favoring a couple of schools, but that isn’t true,” Lacey told Rivals.com before the Alabama visit.

“My interest in Kansas is serious. Coach (Bill) Self is a great coach, Kansas is a winning program and they’ve got playing time available for me. A few guys are graduating and the Morris twins are leaving early, so I could step in and play right away. Kansas is a great program and something I’m seriously considering.”

Lacey and Ronald Steele are the only two players in Alabama prep history to win two Mr. Basketball awards from the Alabama Sports Writers Association. Lacey is the only player to compete on three state title teams.

Butler coach Jack Doss told The Birmingham News he’s not expecting a Lacey decision anytime soon. It’s been speculated that Lacey may want to wait until after the April 24 deadline for college underclassmen to enter the NBA Draft.

“We don’t talk much about recruiting,” Doss told the News. “I coached his dad and taught his mom. He’s got plenty of people who can help him.”

The Birmingham paper indicated Alabama and Kentucky are believed Lacey’s favorites. The News indicated that Alabama A&M;, which is looking for a new coach, might become a contender if coach Doss was hired at that school.

“I wouldn't turn him down if he wanted to come,” he told the paper.

Daniels visits Duke: No. 9-rated DeAndre Daniels, a 6-8 senior from IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla., was slated to be on Duke’s campus this weekend. He’s also considering KU, Kentucky, Texas and Oregon.

“It’s still wide-open. He has no favorite,” IMG director of basketball Andy Borman told the Lexington Herald-Leader. Borman said he expected Daniels to make a college choice sometime after the visit to Duke.

"How soon after that, I don't know," he told the Herald-Leader.

Comments

ldjayhawk 9 years, 5 months ago

It's wide open. I doubt these two kids are not seriously considering UK given their already-amazing recruiting class. Having either Lacey or Daniels can be seen as a job well done for HCBC, and landing both would be a true "home run". I believe Selby' leaving actually mean a rebuilding year for us, though we reload our roaster rice as ever. saying a rebuilding year may upset a few people, but really at KU any year without a deep run in March is a "building year"!

BTW' can't wait to see a inside-out game for us from TT and TRob from October!

Jeremy Bolinger 9 years, 5 months ago

UK is losing who though? No guarantees that they are losing anyone, and they already have a large class and may not have room.

Dan Pawlowski 9 years, 5 months ago

How does Selby leaving mean a rebuilding year? When he did play he did not show any promise that next year was going to be much better. Yes players improve but he would have had to improve a lot for us to assume we lost much.

cklarock 9 years, 5 months ago

We lost potential with Selby -- a talented kid who knows the system and could have put together a year without injury, etc. He would have been really, really good for us next season.

But we did loose lot of production and 4 starters, and that is what makes it a reloading year for me. I think expectations should be lowered a bit, maybe to Big 12 Championship, 33 wins and a Final Four. ;)

WilburNether 9 years, 5 months ago

Excellent point, BoulderHawk.. Never mind the idiot fanbois here who fall in love with Selby and other unproven "talents" and their "potential." The fact of the matter is that Selby never established himself as a legitimate Division I player, and at the end of the season, when he was healthy, he was very ineffective in the few minutes he played. And his very limited playing time indicates that he wasn't getting it done in practice, either. But don't expect the fanbois to do the reality check.

Yeah, the "potential" thing is nice to contemplate, but it means exactly NOTHING unless the player delivers. Which, of course, everyone but the rabid fanbois recognizes that Selby failed to do.

But that doesn't mean that some idiot NBA general manager won't take him in the first round, and let him warm a chair at the end of the bench for the next three years.

Sam Constance 9 years, 5 months ago

The only "idiots" here are the ones who, in their infinite wisdom, have decided that Selby is a bust after a tumultuous freshman year marred by suspension and injury.

The irony of saying something as delusional as Selby wasn't "a legitimate Division I player" and then talking about how others need a reality check is so deliciously thick.

How, exactly, do you think he got that #1 recruit ranking? Everyone else is fooled except for you? Must be all those "fanbois" who work at Rivals.com. Thank goodness that you, WilburNether, of KUsports.com fame, are here to share your player evaluation expertise.

I think most of the people you dismissively classify as "fanbois" don't think Selby is some basketball savior. They see him as a guy with a great deal of athletic ability and basketball talent and would like to see more than one rocky season to completely write him off.

I had previously been fairly indifferent to Selby's success at the next level. As a Jayhawk, I wish him well, but with such a limited time here at KU, it was hard to get too invested. However, the more I read ignorant, sensationalist comments like yours, the more I want him to succeed to prove to the "experts" like you that his freshman year at Kansas was just an bad year.

Brianna Zaleski 9 years, 5 months ago

You're so right. I'm so sick of people writing off Selby as no good. He wasn't that good this year, yes, but the kid obviously has tons of talent and was the top rated recruit for a reason! Just because it didn't translate into instant success for our Jayhawks, does not mean that he isn't good.

What the hell is a "fanboi" anyway? Sounds erriely homosexual. In which case I'm wondering why WilberNether is so fond of the term?????

burnedout 9 years, 5 months ago

zig - how could we do anything BUT write Selby off as no good ? He WAS no good this year. I'm so sick of people ranting about how great he was/is/will be. Maybe he and Xavier can team up next year - one can hand out water, the other can hand out towels.

Martin Shupert 9 years, 5 months ago

He might be the next Jordan, but he was a HUGE bust for us. That's a fact, jack.

NationHawk 9 years, 5 months ago

+1! Here's what the NBA scout who's seen him perform in Vegas has to say about Selby...overrated? nah,I dont think so.... Andrew Moore of Impact Basketball Academy in Las Vegas says Kansas freshman Josh Selby has been highly impressive during his time there both as a player and a leader.

“In my opinion, he’s as good an athlete, scorer and competitor as a lot of the guys I saw [drafted] in the first round last year,” Moore said Thursday by phone.

“I think he’s going to surprise a lot of people. I haven’t looked at the [NBA Draft] board but I can’t imagine him going into a workout and getting beat by anybody. He’s so athletic and strong, I was really surprised.”

Moore said he’s read negative things about Selby and his attitude on the Internet, but those accounts differ with the player he’s coached in Vegas.

“Basketball-wise, he can move his body and control his body at such a high rate of speed,” Moore said. “His attitude and all, he’s been awesome. For probably the youngest guy here, he’s as much of a leader as anyone. He’s a vocal leader, he’s sprinting, he’s going hard in drills. When I read that, people have a perception of him that he’s going to break.” -- compliments of Zagsblog.com

burnedout 9 years, 5 months ago

obviously, Andrew Moore is an idiot. An optomistic idiot , but still an idiot.

KWufan 9 years, 5 months ago

Wibur, maybe Selby wasn't amazing this yr, but i saw plenty of promise before the foot injury. Can't remember the exact game, but one play Selby makes a shot at one end, while running back on the D side, he put on a sudden burst to catch his man, put his hand up and deflected a pass out of bounds that surely would have led to a fast break lay up. That's the potential that had people signing his praises. Remember, hurting your foot in basketball is the worst injury you can have, especially if you rely on speed in your game like Josh does.

tlwatson 9 years, 5 months ago

I think the big need for KU is power and small forward plus center. Were loaded at the point. Plus we have a shooting guard coming in already.

Jabez Harlan 9 years, 5 months ago

With gaping holes on the roster, it would be nice to pick up both of these fine players.

Lacey could play right away on the wing. He is not a ball handler but can make the open shot and makes good decisions on the drive and dish.

Daniels is a face up small forward that can hit from 15 feet. He could provide some nice relief minutes for Releford off the bench.

Neither one of these kids will start, but both could see minutes and contribute in a major way for 2011-2012.

Now we just need everyone else to stay put. Brandon Knight and Terence Jones plus Harrison Barnes at UNC.

Hopefully Lacey sees the value of playing at KU as opposed to Alabama. With the difference in national exposure, it's almost a no brainer for this kid.

Daniels needs to realize that he may be the missing piece at KU. A player with the size that is capable of things no other player on the roster can do. He won't outrebound T-Rob, or be the top scorer on the team, but he can be that intangible player that does a little of everything for the Jayhawks.

Come on Self and staff, pull these boys in and let's go for 2011-2012!!!

Michael Bratisax 9 years, 5 months ago

I hope Lacey comes but isn't our top recruit Ben McLemore a shooting guard? Lacey is considered a combo guard so he must at least be a proficient ball handler. He would add add quality depth but I agree that he would need to come off the bench his first year. He would get quality minutes but not start. Is he willing to do that? For too many kids, that is their main reason for committing. Any glaring holes are not in the back court. I would much rather land Daniels who I think would start in the front court.

BigHawkBill..this was not meant to undermine your post..just a different opinion.

lee3022 9 years, 5 months ago

Good point Mike. But Coach Self runs a three guard line-up preferring to have on be of size (6-5 to 6-7) and two bigs. Lacey and McLemore could easily play together to replace Morningstar and Reed. Not they they are write-ins as the practice court determine playing time. Certainly Travis Releford will compete for playing time at the bigger guard spot. But the last two losses in the NCAA were because nobody could knock down a three. Lacey would bring that skill to KU and earn plenty of PT so long as he produces.

bradynsdad 9 years, 5 months ago

It is really obnoxious that high school players will only go where they can get playing time. I know they just want to play but there is alot to be said about a kid who pays his dues to his team and coaches before he is allowed to walk in and get twenty to thirty minutes a game. In ku's situation it seems to work out better when our freshmen come off the bench and our upperclassman lead the way. It would be nice to get both these guys but I'm not crossing my fingers. Either way self will work his magic. We may not be a national title powerhouse contender but I still expect a good season.

Jeremy Bolinger 9 years, 5 months ago

I dont think thats always the case. But, this is Kansas, and this is a level for the prime time players. Unfortunately, this is the nature of the beast. But, its also the job of the current players to beat these players out. So, we shall see what happens.

Hank Cross 9 years, 5 months ago

"Paying dues" and "seniority" should account for jack. If a freshman is better than a veteran, he should start. Sports should be a pure meritocracy, a Darwinian survival of the fittest in a controlled context, not a union job.

Dan Pawlowski 9 years, 5 months ago

Depends how you define better. It's a team sport. Integrating into a team takes some maturity that may or may not be there when they come to college. When you have a program that is always stocked with good players the need to integrate becomes more important.

lee3022 9 years, 5 months ago

This is Coach Self's professed and experienced philosophy as well. Josh earned starting minutes before he got hurt then failed to earn them after he returned.

The ability to play under pressure needs to be demonstrated by players to be on the floor at crunch time. This might also be described as a skill. Coach gets to know who he trusts and how to use the blend of talent available.

Kye Clark 9 years, 5 months ago

Obnoxious? That's ridiculous. Why wouldn't players want to go where they can see more playing time? Any way you look at it - either they're playing the game they love and nobody loves riding the pine, or they have aspirations of playing at the next level and it is hard to showcase and improve your skills without PT. Do you think Royce Woolridge is obnoxious for transferring because he just wanted to play?

And oxcal is right on about paying dues and seniority. Talent should win out every time. Look at UConn. They had I think 3 freshman starting and another 2 playing major minutes for them. They don't win a championship if Calhoun makes them wait their turn.

bradynsdad 9 years, 5 months ago

Ok fair enough. In your opinion would you have taken reed out of the line up and put in selby? Odds are reed won't go in the draft and selby will. So does that give selby a free pass, and leave a kid that knows what it means to be a jayhawk and worked harder than everyone else by even his own teammates account. As I stated I understand kids want to play, I always wanted to play. The controversy I am stuck on is everyone wants these OAD's but they want them to stay all four years and that's just not going to happen. If we do start going after all these top fifteen recruits then what makes selfs system any different than caliparis? Our 08 team did have a couple sophomores but Cole was the only freshmen who paid his dues and look how well it worked out for him, but that team was led by veterans who earned every inch and weren't just given playing time, i.e. Darnell Jackson. I am not mad at these kids for wanting to play I think it's obnoxious that they basically tell these coaches if I can play I will come to your school, if not see ya. Of course thinking about themselves gets them prepared for the NBA anyway.

Kye Clark 9 years, 5 months ago

No I think it was working out how it should have before Selby got injured, he was starting and Morningstar was coming off the bench. After Selby's injury he wasn't the same, so he came off the bench. The point is if a freshman gives you a better chance to win than a senior, the freshman should see more minutes. So if a senior has worked harder and is still not as good of a player as a freshman...we all admire that senior's dedication and hard work but he needs to see less time than the better player.

And it's like this in every sport. Take baseball - would some prized free agent third baseman go to the Yankees and sit behind A-Rod everyday. Or would some prized QB free agent want to sign with Green Bay and play back-up to Aaron Rogers? Are those players obnoxious for telling these GMs "if I can play I will come to your team, if not see ya"? Of course not. Take it a step further, in all business it works like this to some extent. If you have a chance to go to a company where you have the opportunity to advance vs. going to a company where all the higher positions are filled and you'd likely be stuck one position for years upon years...all things being equal which job would you take?

It sounds like you simply have more of a problem just with OADs, because you feel it hasn't worked out well with Xavier & Selby. I don't think anybody likes the OAD situation, but it's the way it is. And I get your point of view, but it's going to be impossible to please everybody. Some people on these boards want us to stop recruiting top 15 or top 25 level talent just to avoid the issue. Then you have other fans that are overly critical of Coach Self if he "whiffs" on marquee recruits. You bring up the '08 team - people forget that Rush was considered by many to be a OAD, and Arthur was certainly ranked high enough coming out of high school to fall into that category as well. I think you bring in elite talent when you can, and roll the dice that you make it work.

bradynsdad 9 years, 5 months ago

Ok I see your point about the job opening. I wanted the comparison to be with reed not morningstar that is why I said reed. The question I guess I would ask is would you keep our recruiting scheme the same with a OAD and the rest upperclassman or clapari style and all underclassmen? Don't mistake my tone, I am open to a discussion. I unlike most of the other people on here don't believe my opinion is the only one that matters. It's just what it is, an opinion.

Andy Tweedy 9 years, 5 months ago

+1 on the opinion comment. There sure are a lot of people on this site who think they know everything!

Hank Cross 9 years, 5 months ago

@bradyns - Of course Selby should have been playing instead of Reed. If you have a strong stomach, look at the 2nd half of the VCU game. Reed killed every chance to rally back. "Odd are Reed won't go in the draft"(?) Reeds odds are exactly 0. Anybody not wearing crimson colored glass will tell you that. He wasn't even as good as Keiton Page if you want to compare a similar player.

bradynsdad 9 years, 5 months ago

Oxcal although I think your point is a little harsh and overblown, keiton page? I will ask you this, we had a couple late game situations this year if you were the coach would you have felt more comfortable putting selby in for that last minute over reed? As I told icthawk, don't mistake my tone. I love a good discussion the problem is people becoming so stuck in their own views they refuse to see anyone else's. If you have an open mind I would like to hear your answer, if your just gonna bash our seniors don't worry about it.

Hank Cross 9 years, 5 months ago

My answer is this - I would've played Selby, EJ, and Travis and lived with their mistakes until conclusively proved otherwise. Brady and Tyrel wouldv'e played 10 minutes apiece - tops. I don't believe that the the season could've ended any worse under this plan.

bradynsdad 9 years, 5 months ago

So just to clarify your stance. You would take talent over experience?

bradynsdad 9 years, 5 months ago

that is a direct quote from John calapari. "i will take talent over experience anyday." the problem is cal has never won a title.

Hank Cross 9 years, 5 months ago

He missed it by one made Derrick Rose or CDR free throw, a missed Chalmers 3, etc.

Sam Constance 9 years, 5 months ago

Paige was a better scorer than Reed, that's for sure. He had a wider range of offensive moves and was a better shooter off the dribble.

However, Paige was a typical "matador" defender on the perimeter. Reed was a much better defender and rebounder than Paige. For Kansas' system, Reed would've been a better player to start than Paige.

That being said, Reed had an absolutely terrible game against VCU. And it wasn't just his poor shooting. He made several brain-fart style plays that we just weren't accustomed to seeing from Reed, a guy with experience and veteran savvy. Dribbling into the corner on a full-court trap then lobbing the ball right to the top of the opponent's key. Taking a long 2-pointer off the dribble when KU was running out of time and needed a three or a shot at the rim. Collapsing down into the lane to help double a guy who was guarded, leaving a wide-open 3-point shooter to bury yet another three.

I think bradyns point is that typically, you expect Reed to compensate for the fact that he is less athletically gifted than guys like Selby by headiness and intelligence in making correct plays. However, as the VCU game proves, when you're talking about kids aged 18-22, each individual game is a crapshoot to some degree, and even the most savvy veteran can make big mistakes, because at the end of the day, they're all still college kids.

Tim Orel 9 years, 5 months ago

So is your post if Selby had never been injured what would the situation have been? Because there have been many posts how when Selby was in there KU was minus 20 points against VCU but when Selby was out KU was plus 10. IOW, KU did better as a team when Selby was not on the floor. For whatever reason.

I do want Selby to go on and succeed, and I'd love for him to be one of those Jayhawks who occasionally come back to hang out with the current Jayhawk players, play pick-up and help promote KU.

Dan Pawlowski 9 years, 5 months ago

Talent mean " jack" if you can't temper it with intelligent decisions. Case in point , Tyshawn Taylor.

dylans 9 years, 5 months ago

It's not just a problem in sports. Kids these days do not know how to work. This problem became more evident with my generation (I'm 32) and will continue to get worse as long as there is no accountability.

Dan Pawlowski 9 years, 5 months ago

That is a sweeping statement devoid of documented statistics and a well presented argument. I am much older than you and I disagree. I would be more accepting of an argument stating that the younger generation had different priorities. I have not done the research on that and would not claim that as an absolute until doing so.

PhogAdvisory 9 years, 5 months ago

This "kid" got a full ride to college on academics, maintained a 4.0 all through college while also working 20-30 hours a week, just got accepted into grad school...

And would beg to differ, sir.

lee3022 9 years, 5 months ago

I have heard that complaint before when I was a teenager. Since I worked my way through KU over 40 years ago it seems a bit dated. There are always those who are lazy and there are always those who work hard to get ahead. No blanket statement seems to fit.

lee3022 9 years, 5 months ago

Selby did start over Morningstar before he got hurt. That injury was just one of those things we can look back upon and postulate that it cost us another championship. However I am sure most of the teams in the NCAA can make similar statements.

Jack Wilson 9 years, 5 months ago

Play the players, as a coach, you see have the most upside for March (which are the "best" players). Stomach the mistakes, work through the negative. Position yourself to have the best possible team ready for March. It is really that simple.

Boulderhawk's reference is exactly why we lost to VCU .. "depends on how you define better."

"Better" is defined as reaching your potential as a team, which in the past two seasons would have been national championships. That's "better."

"Better" is not playing Brady Morningstar. "Better" is recognizing Reed was slower due to the injury. "Better", ultimately, might mean losing a few extra games along the way to be "better" in March.

Brady paid his dues, and as many observed by his meltdown at the end of the 2008-09 season, he was destined to let us down in the end, in the important tournament games. Vs. UNI, Self didn't even have the confidence to play him substantial minutes due his poor play even though he had been playing major minutes down the stretch; and this season he flopped vs. VCU when we needed him the most. As I've observed before, we were "out-athleted" vs. VCU.

lee3022 9 years, 5 months ago

With Josh hurt and hesitant to even take his open shots the last 10 games I am not sure who you would substitute for Brady? Remember Brady was considered by Coach to be among our best perimeter defenders.

Dan Pawlowski 9 years, 5 months ago

You can be as athletic as humanly possible and it won't make up for not being able to hit water falling out of a canoe.

My "reference is exactly why we lost to VCU"? Sorry I am not a scapegoat and you are not a current winning coach at a major institution. Calling yourself "HighEliteMajor" is an obvious indication of the delusions of grandeur that you suffer from. I take some of that back. You may very well be at a major institution. But you need to get back on your meds.

David Howell 9 years, 5 months ago

Great hindsight, but I doubt you were preaching this prior to the VCU game. Short and simple on Selby. He missed time, started hot, couldn't handle ball against NU and thus less playing time, got injured, and upon working way back into mix he was ineffective and not an overall team player. Selby screwed himself by cheating and taking AAU money and hurting his chances and KU's early season. For you to say we should have played Selby more because Kentucky and UConn played their freshmen is a mute point. Kentucky had to play theirs to have a chance during the season and Lamb was actually pretty good !

The true problem in the FINAL game against VCU was simple. If you doubt me watch the game and see what I am talking about. KU made a great 2nd half comeback to within 2-4 points. However, at that point -4- of our 6 best players (can't remember which ones for sure) had 3 fouls each on them. It was at that point IMO that they woke up and said "I have 3 fouls and I am too important to the team to foul out" and as a result their intensity and effort was minimized and VCU pulled away from that point. To me it was quite evident and I was disappointed that Bill didn't see it and in a time out jump their asses to go all out, because we had other adequate bodies on the bench. Their was no tomorrow at that point.

Couple that with our piss poor FT shooting (entire 2010-11 season achilles) and it was a recipe for disaster. That and our man to man defense fell apart at times creating a help defense atmosphere and ultimately someone was always open. Damn, I hate thinking back too much about that game.

bradynsdad 9 years, 5 months ago

On a side note, if basketball switched to the baseball rule and kids either had to draft out of high school or play a minimum of three years I wonder what kind of teams calipari would have then. Yes it's one long sentence and feel free to give me a hard time about it. The other day when hawkinarmy had that long sentence, peoples posts had me in tears.

rwhawk 9 years, 5 months ago

Wow! Long sentence! How could you? That obviously discounts you as a viable source on your own opinions on this message board. I hope my mental sneer hurts you to the very core of your being.

And I think we may agree as I do actually give Coach Cal many real mental sneers...I wish it actually effected his ability to recruit talent.

KU_Alumn_2000 9 years, 5 months ago

If Daniels played at the 3...who else will play down low with T-Rob ? I think Maclemore will start at 3. We need that 2nd starting post player to compliment T-Rob down low.

If we get Daniels...this is how I envision our starting lineup.

1: Taylor 2: Johnson 3: MAclemore 4: Daniels 5: T-Rob

xfitter 9 years, 5 months ago

T-rele will get the nod at the 3 ahead of Bmac, at least to start the season. I think it'll be a heated battle with them though, I just see Travis getting a big chip on his shoulder about this past season and going off on the court! We saw flashes of what he could be, but we should be in good hands with him and Bmac with their freakish athleticism. The 1,2,4,&5 totally agree if/when we get Daniels.

Jabez Harlan 9 years, 5 months ago

You are forgetting Jeff Withey (he will have a much improved year and may lead the league in blocked shots)

Justin Wesley (one year in Manning's big man system so this kid will be ready to pound)

and Braeden Anderson (incredible athletic ability but raw. Over the summer Manning will give him a couple post moves.)

The lob pass will again become part of the offense just like it was back in 2008 with Kaun, Arthur, and Jackson. Tharpe's pin point passing will make sure of that!

Ann Oneill 9 years, 5 months ago

Withey hasn't shown us a thing. I know he was playing behind the Morrii and T-Rob, but for most of the season, he wasn't even seeing mop-up minutes. Unless he has a HUGE epiphany during the off-season, he'll retain his spot on the bench.

Mark Wooden 9 years, 5 months ago

I agree with dnvrhawk. I'm confused in what Withey has shown to warrant that he will be a major contributer. I mean best of luck to him but Coach Self's history and coaching style doesn't warrant him playing more than foul trouble minutes after the non-conference season.

lee3022 9 years, 5 months ago

Withey was another player hindered by injuries this year. He regressed from them but showed some promise early in the season. I see no reason why he cannot be a contributor this year.

I am curious to see if Tharpe can break into the lineup. I am not sure how much Johnson and TT will play together. It might depend on the ability to hit the three.

Jonathan Allison 9 years, 5 months ago

Does Danny Manning get to work with the players over the summer? I was under the impression that since he's an assistant coach he isn't allowed in the gym while the guys are working out.

But perhaps Anderson might find that the previous resident of his dorm room apparently left of broken down game film.

kansas88 9 years, 5 months ago

I think some are getting carried away with Bill having to hit a home-run recruit, also I wonder how Tyshawn and Elijiah feel about Lacey claiming there was playing time for him at Kansas. Remember, Selby was supposed to this all-world guard. It wasn't Selby's lack of offense that lead to lack of playing time or his injury. It was inability to D-Up like we are used to seeing at Kansas. Is Lacey another Russell or Mario or is he another Selby? The one thing we are sure of, is what can't be sure an recruit from HS or JUCO(Mario Little, Remember he was the Juco POY). We know most of these kids have an ability to score, but will they share the ball, move without the ball, rebound, set picks for each other and shut down their defensive assignment. Only time will tell.

waywardJay 9 years, 5 months ago

That's a little unfair towards Mario. Mario was a pretty team friendly guy. I'm sure he would have done a lot more at schools with lesser talent. mario was a pretty good player for us.

Steve Corder 9 years, 5 months ago

It is amazing that fans place a couple of touted recruits in next year's starting team when they haven't seen these kids play, much less practice at the college level. Rivals, ESPN or any rating service is a crap shoot worthy of Las Vegas sports bookies.

When there is a Wilt or Kareem on the list then I'll take notice. But that won't ever happen again in today's system.

Steve Corder 9 years, 5 months ago

Thomas Matlock 9 years, 5 months ago

Really!! Thet would have had Selby starting. Results- no Big 12 title, probable NIT appearance.

Michael Bratisax 9 years, 5 months ago

I should fact check this but wasn't HCBS the one who first brought up the need for 'home runs'?

Brianna Zaleski 9 years, 5 months ago

Wow, thanks Dr. Obvious, because that point hasn't been made yet since news of Selby leaving broke.

REHawk 9 years, 5 months ago

If these 2 kids commit to Kansas, the Jayhawk Nation is in for a wild ride, esp. if the two of them and BenMac stay a second season. It would take half a season for the lineup to jell, but there would be outstanding backups for everything but perhaps the 5 spot. Jeff Withey, this should be your year to shine!

Annette Lee 9 years, 5 months ago

What about Joseph Uchebo? NC State released him ! I guess he's a project but we have DM and he's footer!!!

Dan Pawlowski 9 years, 5 months ago

Good question. Food for thought. Thanks.

duanep5ku 9 years, 5 months ago

I guess my take on this would be Kansas probably has an OK chance with Deandre Daniels maybe if not Duke we have a good chance with him. I think It's a long shot for us to get Lacey because he's another player who's been playing the waiting game with UK all year and even though he's mentioning us, he wants UK. The problem with either one of those two if they come to Kansas they expect minutes right away. I just want to find another team player for next years roster,who wants to be here more then one year hopefully but then again who's left that would garner a scholarship offer? theirs not to many players left to choose from.

Cmill1221 9 years, 5 months ago

Sweepstakes??? Come on, this kid isn't lebron or oden. But still would be a nice pick up.

John Brown 9 years, 5 months ago

We are always recruiting in April. It would be nice to sign some top recruits in November for a change.

brooksmd 9 years, 5 months ago

Once again, if you are not loaded with a bunch of OAD's and you have the Morii/TRob front with all the guards we had, how do you sign kids early? If you're a big and you see the twins and TRob ahead of you for your freshman year you're gonna go where it isn't so crowded up front. It's a special kid, and there aren't many, who is willing to pay his dues, earn his playing time.

selfishhawk 9 years, 5 months ago

brooks, check your facts, please. UNC signed a bevy of talented players and they have no available minutes. quit making excuses for Self's inclination to pick up kids in the spring. just say thats the way he does it.

rwhawk 9 years, 5 months ago

Daniels to Duke. Lacey to Kentucky. Withey to suck. How's that for optimism?!

Jabez Harlan 9 years, 5 months ago

You might be right about the first two, but you are dead wrong about Withey. He is going to be much better in his Junior year and will make a major impact for the Jayhawks in 2011-2012. Mark my words!!

Steve Corder 9 years, 5 months ago

You just might be right. Depends on how Withey responds to the opportunity and his off-season work ethic. He may be the kid that makes the difference between a good team and an exceptional one.

rwhawk 9 years, 5 months ago

I'm not hoping against him, I'll just believe it when I see it. I had this debate with many last November and they all said "mark my words" he'll be a necessity come March.

Andy Tweedy 9 years, 5 months ago

Man, I hope you're right, but I'm not seeing it. He just gets pushed around too easily to be a consistent contributor in the Big 12/10. I sure hope he's hitting the buffet line this off-season.

David Howell 9 years, 5 months ago

I gotta agree on Withey ........... Sure, he should improve, but how much ? His injury history and weak body haven't improved up to now. I saw guards muscling him around this year and none of us have any real idea as to his true on court stamina. Put me in the pessimistic corner of believing it when I truly see it for myself !!

burnedout 9 years, 5 months ago

don't really give a crap one way or the other about daniels or lacey, but as far as withey - he might have sucked a little less if he had actually seen some playing time this year. there were many opportunities to get him some minutes this year and Lord Self chose not to play him.

jayhawkintexas 9 years, 5 months ago

I hope neither one of these guys is a OAD like Selby was (that is, "One and Dud" instead of "One and Done"). Would like to have both of these guys at KU.

hawksince51 9 years, 5 months ago

+1--I have long felt that Self's system is not OAD or, for that matter, freshman friendly. Besides the OAD's under your definition (X and Selby) IMHO other highly touted freshmen like Rush, Chalmers, Wright, Marcus, T-Rob, etc. were pretty average their freshmen year. Then as sophomores and juniors they really began to produce. I long for the day when the NBA finally figures out that they are wasting way too many $$ gambling on drafting on potential and require that players prove themselves in college first. However, I'm getting old and not confident I will see it happen.

Jabez Harlan 9 years, 5 months ago

Rush, Chalmers, Wright, and even Arthur were better than average. If they had made it to a final four in 2006, many of those freshman would have left for the NBA. The main reason so many of them stayed for 2007 is because they lost in the first round to Bradley, not because their draft stock was low. (at least for Wright and Rush).

hawksince51 9 years, 5 months ago

I think you made my point--they lost in the first round, all 3 were starters, so they must have been pretty average. If they had been great, they should have made it to the final 4.

Jabez Harlan 9 years, 5 months ago

By that flawed logic, Morris twins are not great?

Wayne Simien was not great?

And that is just a few KU players.

What about all of the great basketball players that never made a final four?

hawksince51 9 years, 5 months ago

You seem to be ignoring my point which was that they were not great as freshmen.

Steve Gantz 9 years, 5 months ago

Come on in guys the team wants and needs you. Just don't leave after a year, all of us begging you to come will crucify you. If you don't believe me why was Josh Selby's name on the trending now list yesterday on Yahoo.

rwhawk 9 years, 5 months ago

Or because they saw the headline "Selby of Kansas..." and thought, "Who the heck is that?" and had to look him up. The suspension and injury lead to him be a no name to most of the nation. I'm not intending to sound harsh on the kid, in fact, my disappointment is with Selby, its with the adversity that didn't give him a chance to show as true what everyone says about him and his game.

rwhawk 9 years, 5 months ago

...is not with Selby

I should take advantage of that "Comment preview" page.

Steve Gantz 9 years, 5 months ago

Yeah, I think that sums up what most of us are so disappointed about with Selby.

REHawk 9 years, 5 months ago

"I don't intend to sound harsh, but HEY, I'm a 16 ton gravel truck a'comin' atcha!"

Ashwin Rao 9 years, 5 months ago

Just got a tweet with the news that Aaric Murray (ex La Salle) is considering KU (and WV). I am sure he will have to sit out this year, but he seems to be good from my research.

lee3022 9 years, 5 months ago

KU would be an excellent choice for Aaeric as T-Rob and Withey are surely gone after next year and he has an opportunity to be the featured big.

REHawk 9 years, 5 months ago

Speaking again of Josh Selby, Brady McCollough of the KC Star wrote a fine article this weekend re Josh. Biographical details help put Josh and his mother's journeys in perspective.

gchawk 9 years, 5 months ago

I was just about to post the same thing. It certainly appears that Josh, even with all his potential "potential", wasn't that much of a team player. Apparently he rarely stayed in the Jayhawk Towers, and spent most of his waking hours worrying about his mother and her material needs. Some may call that commendable, but I think it has more to do with misguided priorities.

Dan Pawlowski 9 years, 5 months ago

Yea, caring about your mother is misguided. Yes, that was sarcasm.

JRandall 9 years, 5 months ago

I read that article as well. It was a well written article and I had heard about the rough neighborhood he grew up in and the tough times. It also might explain why it seemed so easy for him to exit KU. If he really did not spend much time on campus and with his teammates, then he probably did not have the strong teammate bonds and there was really nothing keeping him at KU. I can't criticize a kid for wanting to take care of his mom and provide for her... i just thought and still think his exit strategy was poor.

burnedout 9 years, 5 months ago

I believe Sherron Collins also grew up in a less than desirable neighborhood and that didn't stop him from staying at KU for four years. If Selby REALLY wanted to take care of his mother, he should have stayed in college, got a degree, improved his game and then, WHEN HE WAS READY, he could have gone pro and taken care of her.

Benjamin Piehler 9 years, 5 months ago

was that the article that had the quote from CBS's Seth Davis "I never wish ill on a youngster but the GM who drafts Josh Selby needs to have his head examined. Kid wasn't even a decent college player."??

joeloveshawks 9 years, 5 months ago

I may be in the very large minority that is kind of happy to see Selby leave. He is a great talent and from I have heard a really nice kid. With that said, I did not get the impression late in the year that he wanted to be there. He had a really tough season and after a difficult upbringing he is cashing in on his dream and we will certainly be a solid squad without him there.

Also...I am seeing a lot of posts about how we are a "Sweet 16 Team" next year and that it will be a building year, et cetera. I agree that we will not have the same level of talent as last season, but look at the 4 teams who just played in the Final Four. None of those were great teams. They got hot at the right time and I am hopeful that some of the studs we have coming back will help us get hot in March this year. A Final Four is for sure still in Bill Self's mind for this team.

burnedout 9 years, 5 months ago

If Bill Self wants to go to the Final Four, he'd better buy tickets now because that's the only way he'll ever get there. In case you haven't noticed, 2008 was a fluke. Old Wild Bill is - oh, hell - THE BEST coach in America - until March. From mid-March on, not so much.

ahpersecoachingexperience 9 years, 5 months ago

Anyone catch Ortiz wearing a jayhawk during last nights fight?

100 9 years, 5 months ago

The next thing our athletic department will have to OK very well could with Gary Woodland next year after winning the 2012 Masters using Jayhawk clubs....

After winning by 15 strokes, instead of accepting the green jacket, Gary more than likely will throw on his ku lettterjacket with "1922,1923,1952,1988,2008 Champs" printed big & obnoxious on the back. In his Masters acceptance speech, while wadding the green jacket into a ball & working on his ninety degree forearm to bicep shooters motion, he can flippantly say something like...

"Winning the Masters was great... Thanks for the competition today Tiger. But, you know Tiger, and i say this with love.... it's nothing like playing basketball in Allen Fieldhouse, the home of Naismith court, the best fans in the world since the building of the collesium & basketball's rules. Have you done that Tiger? Cause I have. Scored three points there HGH-boy. And there's no better experience. This Masters trophy here? I'd flush it in the toilet if I could have worn a Jayhawk jersey in Allen, for even one TV timeout. But I did play there Tiger. And you didn't. Masters? It's OK. But there's only one Allen Fieldhouse. That's where this trophy is going. In a display case in the restroom. Where people go after seeing Naismith's original rules. Rock Chalk Tiger."

[Gary pump fakes the green jacket, pivots & darts a Danny Manning over the shoulder flip-pass Tiger. Tiger sheepishly unwads it, slumps over, fights to casually slip it on & slithers out the back with his hand clamped on his mouth, murmurs of F bombs echoing back & forth between his quivering knuckles.]

lee3022 9 years, 5 months ago

A posting this good should not go unremarked. But could you tell me . . . .what is that good stuff you have been drinking?

Jabez Harlan 9 years, 5 months ago

Here we are talking about Selby again. His decision is getting a lot of exposure these days and from what I have read on Rivals and ESPN, no writer really thinks it is a good idea for this kid to enter the draft.

If he was so concerned about his mother's needs, why didn't he go overseas and play for pay like Brandon Jennings did? There are other ways to get it done.

Another thing, most people can't understand why fans are being so harsh on Selby. Fans who support this kid's decision must be blind! I never saw anything from him all year that would indicate he would make an nba roster. Sits out 9 games, comes off the bench, starts one or two games, gets injured, never regains spark, shooting percetages drop, doesn't attack basket, travels whenever he gets the ball, always tries to do too much on his own, doesn't contribute anything to the team down the stretch.

Of course, as a fan, I do not support his decision to go pro!!

Dan Pawlowski 9 years, 5 months ago

From a purely selfish fan perspective I don't support his decision either. That said there is nothing that says he can't play in Europe if his shot at the NBA does not pan out. The NBA still drafts on "upside" and Selby has that so taking a shot at the NBA is the logical choice for him. If he does not get drafted in the first round I would not be surprised to see him play in Europe.

FOGBALL 9 years, 5 months ago

Selby's gone. No big loss, really our benefit. I vote to move on and see what happens to him a year from now.

Joe Baker 9 years, 5 months ago

Wasn't it Sherron that influenced Jost to KU because he would get pt? How in the hell did Josh not look at Sherron's four year career at KU, with a NC and see what happened to Sherron? Josh is no where near the college player of Sherron. Josh couldn't hold Sherron's jock. Yet, Josh jumps after a bad year of circumstances. Sherron was released from the Bobcats? I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed but if Josh took a long hard look at Sherron's situation, I would've paused long and hard. I'm just confused about Josh's decision.

I really don't care why Josh left (maybe a few hundred thousand) and hope he does well but Sherron's NBA experience should be extremely alarming. If you think Josh is better than Sherron, you're badly mistaken.

Jack Wilson 9 years, 5 months ago

A good article in the KC Star today on Selby.

What we forget here, many times, is that many of these young black players, sadly, start in horrible environments and do not have any responsible guidance from a father.

Tyshawn, TRob, Marcus, Markieff, Selby -- where are the dads?

Their moms are left to be the mom, the dad, the breadwinner, the cook, everything.

And then to start out in the environment that Selby was raised in -- the gun culture, the drug culture, the violence, and the complete moral bankruptcy -- it's amazing any of these inner-city guys actually reach this point. Obviously most do not .. meaning getting to college.

Really, the best life lesson any of these inner-city guys can learn is to be a responsible father.

Steve Gantz 9 years, 5 months ago

HEM is right. Obviously he knows others have bad parents or lack thereof.

I work in the inner city as a teacher. It's a rarity when I learn a kid is living with his original mom and dad. Knowing what these kids miss out on it's an absolute miracle when some of them manage the rest of their life (besides their basketball ability) well enough to qualify to play college hoops.

tydon27 9 years, 5 months ago

This is the last time I'm commenting on josh selbys decision to leave. Selfishly I wanted him to come back because I thought that he difinately was not ready to leave. Its hard to remember how good he actually was because of how he finished the season offensively, but looking back at the beginning of his season this kid is going to be just fine in the nba.

Josh scored in double figures in 9 of his 13 games before the injury with point totals of 21-18-18-16-14-12-17-12-14. Those numbers are pretty good and probably put him as the second best offensive threat behind marcus morris at the time. Sure he had a few dud games mixed in, but that's typical for freshmen no matter how good they are. Secondly people want to harp on all the tournovers he had, but at the seasons end he still had more assists to tournovers. Finally he was a team player thoughout the whole year. Even when he wasn't getting the pt as earlier he was always cheering on his teammates and gave 100 percent effort when he was in the game. So for those who say he won't be missed next year I think they are totally wrong.

Jabez Harlan 9 years, 5 months ago

He will be missed as much as Xavier Henry was missed this year.

Dale Kroening 9 years, 5 months ago

Would love to get sg Lacey, sf Daniels, and pf Traylor. But even if we dont sign any of these guys we are still stocked with talent and some experience imo ( I think we will sign atleast one though).Was bored so started exploring what we have for next season and while I know rankings dont always mean much, heres a list of the players still hear and coming in this season with their national rankings and pos rankings out of HS. We still need atleast another big if anything else, but if we dont sign anyone we will still be solid. I really hope Whithey is able to gain some weight and keep it on and step up this upcoming season. He's been here for what 3 years, time to get it going Jeff.

EJ : 5 star, #24 , # 4 pg TRob : 4 star, #31, # 10 pf TRel : 4 star, #70 , # 15 sg TT : 4 star, #77 , #11 pg JW : 4 star , #36, #8 c

New Guys

BM : 5 star, #17, #4 sg NT : 4 star, #91, #20 pg BA : 3 star , NR

Unknowns

Conner Teahen NR Justin Wesley NR Christian Garrett NR Niko Roberts NR Jordan Juenemann NR

We lost the twins who were 4 star players, Josh was a 5 star, Brady and Tyrel were 3 stars, Mario Little was a 4 star, and Royce was a 3 star. The highly touted 5 star players are great and all, but if it comes down to being OAD, Ill take 4 star players like the Twins and TRob all day because you know they'll likely be here 3-4 years unless your one of the exceptions like Derrick Williams ( 3 stars) from AU who is likely to be a top 10 pick in the draft after his sophomore season.

Dale Kroening 9 years, 5 months ago

Before the grammar police get me, meant here, not hear. :)

Dale Kroening 9 years, 5 months ago

Oops, also its UA, not AU. Need to preview before I post maybe ?

theend 9 years, 5 months ago

All of you crybaby KU fans just crack me up......Hilarious! It's so funny.....when a player leaves how you whine......and get this "how dare you leave Kansas" attitude. Who can blame them for leaving.....maybe the players don't want to choke in March every year!!!! HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!! HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!

Ludwig Supraphonic 9 years, 5 months ago

KU fans have relevant teams to capture our interest even in the off-season. Trolls have nothing to look forward to until Mom calls them out of their basement apartment for dinner. theend.

Dan Harris 9 years, 5 months ago

You crack me up with your pathetic attempts at attention by coming to this site to bash a superior collegiate program that you wish you could have attended!

jaybate 9 years, 5 months ago

Bulletin: theend XTReme gelded at Fenkucky Xperimental horse breeding facility. Testicles being studied for absence of testosterone.

Sam Constance 9 years, 5 months ago

Not that you'll get it anyway, but worth noting all the same:

It's the players who play those games in March, not the Kansas Basketball program. So the idea of a player leaving so he won't "choke" in March belies a severe mental deficiency as it relates to cause and effect.

theend 9 years, 5 months ago

Kansas prepares for March just like they do for Northern Texas and UMKC......and how did that work out for KU? Well.....they sure beat Northen Texas and UMKC.

Viggo3003 9 years, 5 months ago

Troll, troll, troll, troll, troll,troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll,troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll,troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll,troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll,troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll,troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll,troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll,troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll,troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll,troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll,troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll,troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll,troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll,troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll,troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll,troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll,troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll,troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll,troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll,troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll,troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll,troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll,troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll,troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll,troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll,troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll,troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll,troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll,troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll,troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll,troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll,troll, troll, troll, Is that the way I'm supposed to do it?

jaybate 9 years, 5 months ago

Bulletin: IrishDaddy reputedly castrates himself with UK blue chainsaw.

Selbyville 9 years, 5 months ago

I want Lacey and Daniels

and I want another title

Joe Baker 9 years, 5 months ago

Hmm, good question. I think he's one of the greatest coaches that ever lived. I also think all recruits love Cal, he's the bomb. He creates so many NBA players of any coach that ever lived. He is a great role model for all players and creates not only players but perfect citizens the NBA can be proud to have. They will impact society because they were in the presence of greatness. He is the NCAA's model coach and all coaches need to model his coaching techniques and practices after Cal. He does no wrong and is so innocent that Mother Theresa sought his spiritual wisdom of life. BTW, Mother Theresa was a huge bball fan, uk or course.

If you believe this, you're a fool and I'm the most facetious poster ever. I just wasted 2 mins on the worst coaching example ever, scumbag. I'd never play for the moron and the players have made him, not the other way around. He's nothing and would consider it a waste to play for such a crooked coach. Recruits are blinded by his stink and I personally believe he's paying players under the table. How else do you get Terrance Jones at the last minute, even after he orally committed to Washington and Coach Lorenzo. Yeah, I believe the man is snake of the worst kind.

KUsmoothies 9 years, 5 months ago

He's been caught cheating at every program he as ever coached.

Dan Pawlowski 9 years, 5 months ago

Sometimes, past performance does indicate future earnings. Where in this case the earnings are sanctions and record adjustments.

Joe Baker 9 years, 5 months ago

Gotcha- Now we know your true colors Irish.

Ok- See my "facts" in my first paragraph. You're the type that believes my first paragraph, right?

Also, give it time and you'll have all the facts you need.

You're a fool Irish. Who cares how he's getting recruits, they went to the final four. Enjoy it while it lasts because you know all of Little Blue is shaking with their Bluegrass blinders.

My problem is with the coaches like Cal that are corrupting ncaa basketball. You can lump Calhoun in that group too, CalandCal the two most corrupt coaches ever in NCAA bball.

Dan Pawlowski 9 years, 5 months ago

They don't call him PayPal Cal for nothing.

gchawk 9 years, 5 months ago

It's comparable to Ohio State in football, they have, year in and year out, some of the best teams money can buy.

gchawk 9 years, 5 months ago

It's comparable to Ohio State in football, they have some of the best teams, year in and year out, that money can buy!

Jack Wilson 9 years, 5 months ago

I think we miss the obvious sometimes. Top players like playing for Calipari. He treats them like the stars they perceive themselves to be. He bends to accommodate. Top guys see his guys roll to the NBA quickly. In 2011, this is more important than other qualities.

It would be a bit close-minded to simply bash Calipari because we don't care for his methods without recognizing why he get the top guys.

He may be a snake. Or a snake charmer. Either way, he has built it, and they have come.

Personally, I like the contrast and the fact that we have to recruit against him from time to time. And any UK fan who would choose Calipari over Self is the type of fan that deserves Calipari. Glad he's theirs, no ours.

Jack Wilson 9 years, 5 months ago

Nope, you can't. UK is an awesome program.

But UK chose to attempt to reclaim some its past glory by selling a bit of its soul. A sacrifice, I hope, KU does not have to make.

Dan Pawlowski 9 years, 5 months ago

I am not sure how much soul Kentucky has left after Eddie Sutton got done. Tubby may have gotten some back but I think they are back in the red again. Or in this case should it be back in black?

Joe Baker 9 years, 5 months ago

I think Lacey is much like Woolridge and he transferred. In fact, if you compare both players in their respected senior seasons, they were/are much alike. I've seen both Lacey and Woolridge play their senior seasons. Woolridge was a much better ball handler than Lacey now. They both had the trey and might say that Lacey has a small edge over RW. Why would you come to KU when Woolridge sat the bench and then transferred? Lacey and Woolridge are almost the exact same type player. If Lacey comes to KU, he better hope that EJ has an off junior year. I just don't think that will happen. He will play behind EJ unless you see him beating EJ (Junior). NO. I think Lacey is leaning real heavily toward Alabama or uk because he won't only get pt but start.

I think we get Daniels and Murray. Why the hell would Murray go to W Virginia and play for Huggy Bear? He hasn't done much compared to KU. Huggy doesn't have DMan either. If Murray looks at Beasley, that's the extent of Huggy's big man work. LOL

If your a 6-10 big man and can workout with one of the greatest big men that has a NC and helped KU with another NC and has produced a ton of big men for the NBA, it's a no brainer. Dang if you transfer, you better make the decision a wise one and pick the team who can prepare you for the off year of your transfer. The move from LaSalle to W Virginia would be a lateral move. LaSalle to KU is a promotion as a big man.

lee3022 9 years, 5 months ago

It would seem your talent assessment skills lag from the coaching staff as they continue to recruit Lacey, The key factor is being able to defend and hit the three. Woolridge did not achieve enough to earn PT but it does not follow that Lacey will not either.

kelamat 9 years, 5 months ago

In a cruel twist of fate, KU actually needs Selby to succeed at the next level. Big name recruits don't stop paying attention once a player leaves school. And if recent history has taught us anything, KU (despite its past and present success) is clearly held to a different standard. If Selby flops, the rest of the sports world will view it as KU's failure, not his.

KansasComet 9 years, 5 months ago

Why do my beloved Jayhawks lose games in the NCAA Tournament? The answer is pretty simple. It's the playoffs, win or go home. There is your answer. Number 1 seed? Doesn't matter. What we need to remember is just like in any other situation in life, sometimes all you need is a chance. Kansas does not win the title every year, neither does Duke, Kentucky or North Carolina. Also, you don't have to have an off night to lose. The opponent may play the game of their life, then lay an egg (Easter is coming) the very next game. In order to win the Championship you have to be good and lucky. You need to win at least one game, that you probably should have lost. We can complain about who should have played, who is going to stay, who is coming, etc... At the end of the day, we are still Kansas and every year recently, we are in a good position to win the tournament. The flip side is we are also in a good position to have a bullseye placed squarely on our backs.

One person is not going to make or break this team. What I hope we have next year is a team that has good chemistry and good starters, good role players, and good bench players. I believe next we will have as good of a chance as any team in the nation. One last thing for those that are worried about seeding, when is the last time KU won a National Championship wearing white jerseys? Sometimes maybe we should be the underdog?

Jack Wilson 9 years, 5 months ago

Essentially chalking up losing to UNI and VCU as something that just happens guarantees that it happens again.

I hope coach Self is engaging in a more detailed self-evaluation (no pun intended).

KansasComet 9 years, 5 months ago

Losing games in the tournment is going to happen. Kansas University is not bullet proof. Just like a winning tradition at Kansas is going to happen. It is a one game matchup, winner take all. Could Northern Iowa, VCU, Bradley, or Bucknell beat Kansas 2 of 3, 3 of 5 or 4 of 7? Not no, but hell no. In a one game scenario, it can happen, it does happen, and it will continue to happen. Also, could the '88 Jayhawks beat the '88 Oklahoma Sooners team 2 of 3, doubtful, but boy was I happy when we did! It's basketball, and yes Kansas does great in the regular season, but in the playoffs that are the NCAA Tourney, anything is possible. That is all I am saying.

As far as Coach Self goes...I have my own personal opinions about that. I feel the best players should play, and if you recruit players to play at Kansas, then it is his responsibility to turn them into players that are able to play for Kansas. That is his job. Improve their strengths and work on their weaknesses. Let's not just leave them on the bench and forget about them and tell them they are not ready.

burnedout 9 years, 5 months ago

Please don't forget Bucknell and Bradley.......

lee3022 9 years, 5 months ago

A level-headed assessment - well done. The single elimination format means a team has to get the breaks for six straight games. The odds of any team winning are rather high. I am thankful that KU is in the hunt every year.

I am so appreciative of seven straight Big XII championships. That takes more than breaks! No shame from me for losing in the NCAA.

Hank Cross 9 years, 5 months ago

The 'tourney is a crapshoot' meme doesn't work, b/c if it were true you'd see the NCs pretty evenly distributed. Instead those schools that have won 3+ (UCLA, UK, IU, UNC, Duke, KU, UConn) account for 38(?) NCs. Add in the schools that have won 2 (Michigan State, FL, NC State, etc.) and the dominance of the power programs becomes even more clear, even if that dominance only lasts a short time (University of San Francisco with Russell).

KU loses in the tourney b/c the B8/B12 was/is filled with underachievers that don't test KU. Traditionally the conference doesn't possess the brute strength of the B10, the athleticism of the SEC, the precision of the ACC, the finesse of the P10 or the competitive balance of the BE.

lee3022 9 years, 5 months ago

Written by a Californian, no doubt. On the East Coast the view is nothing west of Notre Dame is worth watching. There are 30 or so programs who have sufficient talent to win in any given year. That 30 rotates some, especially with mid-majors as they reload with class-heavy recruiting years. But the really top programs are there every year with a real chance. If Coach K is really so great why does he have only four? If NC was so dominant why is Roy so up and down? All of us (top programs) have the players to compete. But you still need the breaks in any certain year to get the trophy.

The emphasis on recruits misses the great coaching occurring in the programs that do not sign 5 star players. Kentucky still does not have a win under Calipari and should he ever win one the NCAA is likely to vacate it for his repeated violations (such as using a professional player for his team to practice with). Coach Self will win from one to three more before he retires. He is too good every year not to break through again and again. But the majority of years the breaks will not all line up to predict anyone with assurance. I am thankful to be in the conversation every year.

Ludwig Supraphonic 9 years, 5 months ago

The TAMU Women's NC is proof that the inferior talent in the Big East didn't prepare UConn or Notre Dame for the tournament.

Joe Baker 9 years, 5 months ago

I hear you. All good points above in your post. I wish the best for both.

Janet Olin 9 years, 5 months ago

I hope he gets to play in the pros like he wants, and I hope he stays healthy. That said, I doubt he'll make first round, and he could've done himself a favor by playing healthy a year and showcasing his skills, being lottery before jumping. Too bad he doesn't see the logic or value in that. KU basketball will go one without him, and it's sad that his name won't be one of the great ones mentioned in KU lore.

Dan Pawlowski 9 years, 5 months ago

Sorry but minimizing his academic achievements is just plain wrong. That really should be why they go to school in the first place.

jaybate 9 years, 5 months ago

IrishDaddy reputedly gelds himself, then reputedly joins UK choir as soprano.

theend 9 years, 5 months ago

I love Kirk Herbstreit!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Janet Olin 9 years, 5 months ago

KU fans do wish him well, just don't appreciate the way he disrespected his teammates and coaches, who stood by him all season through the trials, and who still stand by him. There's a classy way to handle things. And then there's Not So Much...

Justin Lindsley 9 years, 5 months ago

Barnes is going back to UNC. He is better than Selby!! What is Selby thinking? I hope it works out for him!! We barely knew him anyway. I like to watch players develop over time. It was fun to watch the twins come in as freshman and look kind of lost and see what they were able to accomplish. Even Brady and Reed. Watched them for a long time... Hinrich, Collison, LaFrentz, Manning, Pollard, Robertson, Langford, Miles, Simien, A. Jordan, R. Walters, Jaque Vaughn............. the list is endless. Selby won't be remembered much as a Jayhawk, but he is one. Good Luck!!!

Martin Shupert 9 years, 5 months ago

This idea that Selby is so good that his going pro is a sound decision, fine. If he's that good, where was he all year? The better he ends up being, the bigger the bust he was at KU and again, there is no one to take over the top spot so Selby is content to live out his life being known as the biggest flop in the history of KU basketball. I know, in his culture, where he has come from, college ball means absolutely nothing... so he's fine with that fact. What that says to me is, he could give a rat's behind how he is remembered at KU. So why are you people so down on others for stating a fact? I will never get over the fact that he had his mommy call Coach Self to let him know Selby was not returning. That was not an adult way of handling things. And no, I do not count Selby as a Jayhawk. I'm sure he doesn't either.

Andrew Dunlap 9 years, 5 months ago

If you look at the recruits in the Self era, most of them ranked between 15 and 50. He has been able to 7 win league titles in a row, 3 elite 8s and one national championship. He also has the best winning percentage of any KU Coach- any! holy phog! Looking at his '11 and 12' recruiting classes, he seems to be up to his usual tricks. This guy can flat out coach! Now he needs to develop a change up pitch and do better against inferior teams with short prep time. I think he needs to get his players to adust better to teams who disrupt our rythm and manage possession to posession better. If he does that, KU will win many more titles, ala North Carolina which seems to be on that schedule