Originally published April 15, 2011 at 02:16p.m., updated April 16, 2011 at 12:00a.m.

Royce Woolridge to transfer from KU

KU guard: 'I love Kansas, but I just really want to play ... '

Kansas guard Royce Woolridge pushes the ball up court past Washburn's Jeff Reid in the second half of the exhibition game, Tuesday, Nov. 2, 2010 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Royce Woolridge, who committed to Kansas University’s basketball program back as a sophomore in high school, on Friday announced plans to transfer at the end of his freshman year.

“I love Kansas, but I just really want to play more,” said Woolridge, a 6-foot-3, 182-pound guard out of Phoenix Sunnyslope High. “I feel like I will have more of an opportunity to play if I went somewhere else.

“I mean it’s sad that it happened like this. I committed so early. Playing at Kansas was my dream. I’m happy I had a year living out my dream. I have no regrets. You can never have regrets. It was a great year. It’s a great place to be, but it’s important to me get more of an opportunity to play.”

Woolridge — he scored nine points all season while playing 44 minutes in 16 games — said he had no specific school in mind.

“It would be nice to be closer to home, to my mom, but I really have no idea,” said Woolridge, who informed coach Bill Self of his decision on Thursday.

Self explained the transfer decision-making process on Friday.

“When Royce and I met after the season, we talked openly and honestly of the potential role he would have for our team moving forward,” Self said. “After the meeting, he wanted to visit with his family. He then came back to me yesterday and said he wanted his release and was seeking to transfer.

“Royce works hard and is deserving of an opportunity to play more,” Self added. “Although his play was limited this season, he did have an impact on our team. We wish him nothing but the best and we know he will do well wherever he attends. He is a good teammate and a great student.”

Woolridge had a 3.6 grade point average first semester.

“The KU coaches have taught me so much. Coach Self is an amazing coach. All the assistant coaches have taught me a ton this year,” Woolridge said. “I’ve learned more about basketball that I had no idea about. I look at basketball from a whole different perspective because of the coaches. I really understand it more.

“I want to thank all of my teammates,” Woolridge added. “They are family. I want to thank the fans. They have been amazing. I didn’t even play and they still showed me a lot of love and accepted me as part of the KU family and I appreciate that. I want to thank the wives of the coaches for helping me. My mom was back in Phoenix and they helped me from that standpoint.

“Kansas made me better, no doubt. I am so much better and this place helped me become more of a man and I appreciate everything it has done for me.”

Woolridge’s mom, Victoria, says there are no hard feelings.

“This is amicable. There’s not a bad reason for this,” Victoria said. “Royce came at a time there were a lot of seniors in front of him. He wants to play now. He and coach Self came to an understanding. We have some options (of other schools) that we will look at because Royce really wants to play.

“I want to stress there’s no better fans than (at) Kansas. You have the greatest fans in America. They stood behind Royce after he signed and after he got there. We have nothing against Kansas. We will miss everyone tremendously.”

Woolridge said no matter where he lands he’ll always consider himself a KU fan.

“Of course,” he said. “My brothers are here. I love KU.”

The Jayhawks, who lost three seniors as well as the Morris twins and Josh Selby off a 35-3 team, now have six returning scholarship players (counting Conner Teahan, who received a scholarship last season after arriving as a walk-on) to go with signees Braeden Anderson, Ben McLemore and Naadir Tharpe.

Thus, KU has four additional scholarships still to give during the spring signing period, which lasts until May 18. Self has said he would like to sign at least one more perimeter player and one more frontcourt player.

Players still on KU’s wish list include DeAndre Daniels, 6-8, 180, from IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla.; Jamari Traylor, 6-7, 210, also from IMG; and Trevor Lacey, 6-3, 190, from Butler High in Huntsville, Ala. Daniels is visiting Duke this weekend.

Comments

knottshawk 10 years, 7 months ago

Well that sucks... hope all goes well for you Royce.

ahpersecoachingexperience 10 years, 7 months ago

this means that naadir tharpe must be really good

chriz 10 years, 7 months ago

Or that he's pretty sure that we're getting a stud recruit.

Michael Bratisax 10 years, 7 months ago

Not sure about that. 120th ranked recruit was never going to be a major factor.

John Boyle 10 years, 7 months ago

He was much higher than that before he signed. Rivals and the other recruiting sites are pretty good at dropping kids down the ratings when they sign. Especially guys who are in the 70-80s.

Kendall Simmons 10 years, 7 months ago

So you truly think that rankings based on what a player does in a particular high school have more to do with how well a player will perform at a higher level than how they develop as players and people at that higher level, how they fit in with a particular team, how their bodies, skills, and mental toughness develop, and who they're coached by and how that suits them???

High school kids are recruited to colleges (like the pros) on potential. They may have amazing highlight films and even high rankings...but a significant number of those kids have peaked or close to peaked in high school. Put them on the court in college and we're no longer talking highlights...we're talking how they play in real life. Playing in high school and on AAU teams is not the same as playing against college and pro players...as most high school kids readily admit.

To think that people like Christian Moody will never be a major factor on their college teams...well, there's a lot of KU fans who will disagree with you. College is full of highly touted flops...and the NBA has its own fair share.

GridironHawk 10 years, 7 months ago

Naadir Tharpe is not a player that Rivals likes to rank high. He is a true point guard. Rivals and most other recruiting articles are only interested in offensive output (PPG)... I think the largest impact that Naadir could have next year is providing a reliable backup to Tyshawn which would allow Eligah to move to shooting guard and concentrate on scoring more.

hawk316 10 years, 7 months ago

I think we can take this at face value. Royce wants to play more and realized that he would have more opportunity to do so in another program. He's a talented kid and undoubtedly will find another situation where he can excel. He also seems like a great kid, and I only wish him well.

John Brown 10 years, 7 months ago

He has a lot of skills and new knowledge to transfer with him. He sounds like a smart kid. I wish him the best! Thanks for considering KU first.

odc213 10 years, 7 months ago

where are all the people hating on Selby? Aren't they here to hate on Royce? Pansies. Comments are a joke. A random collection of fans and quasi-fans and Missouri fans. Here's a note to anyone reading any of these posts. Don't pay attention to anyone here. They have nothing to do with the KU Basketball except as fans.

kentuckyjayhawk 10 years, 7 months ago

burnedout 10 years, 7 months ago

odc213 - I think maybe your name should be OCD213 or something. Where are you going with this? Do you WANT us to hate Royce? Maybe you hadn't noticed - this particular article isn't about Selby, it's about Royce Woolridge. Just so you're not totally clueless from here on out, most people are not hating on Royce because the expectations from him were not even in the same galaxy as the expectations from .......whatever his name was. With great expectation comes great disappointment. And "Don't pay attention to anyone here. They have nothing to do with the KU Basketball except as fans" ????? What are you - on the Ticket Sales Staff? Uh - just about all of us here are KU Basketball fans.

Ed Brown 10 years, 7 months ago

+1 must be a typo and is really ocd as you suggest

phi4life940 10 years, 7 months ago

This is a completely different situation. I need not point out the differences because of their obvious nature.

Your definition of a fan is very different than reality. You know what...I'm not even going to continue this comment beat-down as you would likely not comprehend it.

Martin Shupert 10 years, 7 months ago

Here's one of them. You want to know how to go somewhere else? You do it like a man, like Royce just did it. He stepped up and talked to Self himself. He didn't have his mommy make a call. You miss the whole point. Selby was the biggest flop in KU history. Then, he can't be a man and talk to Coach Self himself. He doesn't attend classes. He leaves in mid semester to work out. Royce did it right. Get a clue, dude.

Bryan Anderson 10 years, 7 months ago

Umm... the seniors are gone. He's one of the first options off the bench next year. Something's fishy about this.

Kye Clark 10 years, 7 months ago

Huh? Look at the plethora of perimeter players we have for next year: Taylor, Tharpe, EJ, McLemore, Releford...you don't need any more than that and there's still talk about bringing in Daniels and/or Lacey, which would have pushed him further down the depth chart.

I think it's a reach to think he'd have been one of the first options off the bench. More likely he would have been relegated to mop-up minutes once again.

Bryan Anderson 10 years, 7 months ago

Taylor and EJ will start in the back court. Releford will play the 3, and unless we sign someone else, McLemore might end up playing the 3 as well. That leaves Tharpe and Woolridge to come off the bench. Tharpe must be better than advertised, or Woolridge must know something about who Bill is recruiting if he is worried about playing time.

Kye Clark 10 years, 7 months ago

In '08 we had RussRob, Mario, Rush, & Collins on the perimeter. That's pretty much it. Roderick Stewart played if there was an injury or severe foul trouble. 5 is all you need, I listed 5, and usually 5 is all Bill Self plays. And you're right, I think it's a safe bet Self is going to land someone else. Even without bringing in someone else...Woolridge would have been the 6th perimeter player which would have meant very little playing time.

HawkBBall 10 years, 7 months ago

+1. Can't fault Royce for wanting to find a place he can get some playing time. Best of luck to him.

selfishhawk 10 years, 7 months ago

Not sure, but I doubt he would have played much. Realistically, we only can play 8-9 guys a year. I have said this before and been chastised for it, but Self needs to clean up the transfer problem. I have completely lost count of the number of players we have had transfer in Self's 8 years - it has to be close to 20 by now. It looks bad!

John Boyle 10 years, 7 months ago

Why does it look bad? Things just didn't work out for either party and they are going different ways without being bitter about it. And the lion's share of recruits that transfer were after his first year and they weren't his guys. Appleton and Q. Thomas just weren't as good as advertised and they wanted to play so they went to schools not as talented as KU so they could play. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Hank Cross 10 years, 7 months ago

If you're continually signing players who don't perform, there's a problem with scouting and talent evaluation.

Hank Cross 10 years, 7 months ago

It doesn't look good. If the coaching staff can't get a good estimate on how a player is going to fit into the program, and doesn't communicate that to the recruit, that's a problem.

Although I don't know what type of impact Royce could've made, it would've been nice to still have Quintrell Thomas to shore up some depth in the frontcourt.

MyName 10 years, 7 months ago

I'm sure a good chunk of those were William's recruits who didn't fit into the system, including JR Giddens. There have been 1 or 2 every year and it's nearly always because they don't get the minutes that they want which is about having too many good players rather than too few.

selfishhawk 10 years, 7 months ago

You people need to read something other than kusports.com once in a while. ALL programs have limited minutes; limited scholarships; and need lots of talent. ALL OF THEM! Yet, we have more transfers in the past few years than the other "elite" programs. AND you're forgetting a lot of players (e.g., Galindo and Giles).

Sam Constance 10 years, 7 months ago

Calling Giles a "transfer" is a completely misrepresentation of the facts. Giles was kicked off the team for admitting to hitting on his girlfriend.

At least, that was the final straw. There were other behavioral issues prior to that.

Also, having more transfers than other "elite" programs, on it's face, is just different. Why assume it's a problem? In fact, can you articulate why it's a problem--specifically, what is the negative impact? It's not like the top talent that's leaving.

Benjamin Clay Jones 10 years, 7 months ago

Self wouldn't have such a transfer problem if he would loosen his death grip on playing time and go with a deeper rotation, as his deep talent warrants. Does Bill think players sign up so they can sit on the bench all year and get a minute-and-a-half of garbage time once in awhile and be grateful for it?

Steve Gantz 10 years, 7 months ago

So would you have sat players like the Twins more so we could have had a deeper bench? Then you alienate the top players by them not playing enough. Just sayin.

lee3022 10 years, 7 months ago

I fall into the camp of - What Problem?

Perhaps you are not familiar with professional firms - law firms, CPA firms etc hire talent out of school and each year about half of each class depart. Those departing are not a problem. They just failed to beat out their classmates.

KU recruits talented players to come in and work on their game and try to beat out the man in front of them for playing time. This is not a problem. The more and better the talent you start with the better the players who get playing time. Royce has learned much and appreciates it so he does not have a problem. Coach has fielded a super-talented team so he does not have a problem. Where is the problem?

honk_for_hawks 10 years, 7 months ago

JR Giddens- William's guy who had a few too many disciplinary problems Alex Galindo- Went back home (Florida Atlantic i think?) CJ Giles- Beat his girl, kicked off team Micah Downs- From everything I heard, had a terrible attitude in practice. David Padgett- Daddy didn't think he was getting the ball enough Quintrell Thomas-Odd man out in a pretty solid big rotation (Aldrich, Twins) Tyrone Appleton- worst guard on a team with like 7 or 8 guards CJ Henry- Only came her because of Xavier Royce- knew he'd probably get mop up minutes again, wanted playing time Omar Wilkes- honestly can't remember why he transferred

I have no problem with any of these transfers. All of the players were either the least talented players on very talented teams and therefore didn't get enough minutes or had disciplinary problems. I don't see how that looks bad on self. The best players come to schools like KU, UK, UNC, etc because they want to win. They know when they sign that the blueblood programs are going to have more competition for playing time. If they wanted guaranteed playing time, they would have played for a second tier team like Mizzou. They obviously thought they were good enough to beat out the other players and when they couldn't, they left. I don't think that says anything bad about self, I think that just speaks to the level of competition on KU's roster that players who would be starting at most schools can't crack the rotation at KU.

LIHawk 10 years, 7 months ago

Won't he have to sit out a year before he can play again if he transfers? Whatever the case, good luck to you Royce!

JayhawkRock 10 years, 7 months ago

No not necessarily..Could go to a JUCO or DII and play right away...

Bill Pitcher 10 years, 7 months ago

Best of luck, Royce, you committed early. But, we're still open for business here in Larry-land; shooters welcome.

ahpersecoachingexperience 10 years, 7 months ago

can't blame him. there are those who are happy with sitting on the bench and being a small fish in a big pond and those that want to be a big fish in a small pond. royce, go have fun playing a game you love while getting a degree. hopefully in something you love just as much!

as the kid's from jersey shore would say "do you"

Hank Cross 10 years, 7 months ago

Good luck Royce. I suspect his continued drop down the depth chart made this a smart decision.

Kye Clark 10 years, 7 months ago

Not really surprising, but disappointing. A kid that knew all along he wanted to be a Jayhawk and declared early (a little fuzzy on whether it was as a Junior or Sophomore). I was always skeptical of his chances to see the court much due to his recruiting ranking, but had hoped that maybe after a few years he could have progressed enough to have a contributory role on the team. Brady Morningstar and Tyrel Reed played sparingly their first seasons, and Brady red-shirted as a sophomore to improve his chances at seeing playing time down the road. I wished he would have redshirted this past season. If he wants a better shot at some guaranteed playing time down the road I wish him the best.

candyapplered 10 years, 7 months ago

It's actually good to weed out the guys who think they would be better off somewhere else. This means he wasn't fit to wear the Jayhawk uniform. He might fit in well at Louisiana State Tech, or at South Dakota A&M, or even the new Nebraska. Good luck, chuck.

brooksmd 10 years, 7 months ago

I second that and would add "idiot" as well.

AverageCitizen 10 years, 7 months ago

You're not fit to be a KU fan. (I really doubt you cheer for the crimson and blue).

Good Luck Royce, we hardly knew ya!

Marcia Parsons 10 years, 7 months ago

What a judgmental thing to say. Who made you the one to determine who is "fit" to wear a Jayhawk uniform?

Joe Baker 10 years, 7 months ago

You're an idiot and you have no idea what you're talking about.

Joe Baker 10 years, 7 months ago

You're an idiot and you have no idea what you're talking about.

Michael Bratisax 10 years, 7 months ago

He might also do well at VCU or Northern Iowa.

Michael Bratisax 10 years, 7 months ago

I do like how you get straight to the point dan!

LAJayhawk 10 years, 7 months ago

We already had 6 open up after this past season ended.....

KU_alum_2001 10 years, 7 months ago

I guess it's finally time that I tryout for the team. 32 isn't too old, right?I mean TJ Whatley looked 32 with that stache he had so... And I wonder if my 20in vertical will keep me from starting? Put me in, Coach, I'm ready.

Ann Oneill 10 years, 7 months ago

I hate to see him go, and can't help but think that he would have been in the rotation next year. Wish Royce could have red-shirted last season instead of burning a years' eligibililty with only mop-up minutes to show for it.

jayrat 10 years, 7 months ago

Crazy. The way things are going, the team is going to comprise of a dozen freshmen/juco transfers and TRobb/Tyshawn. Next year is going to be interesting.

So... Royce used up a year of eligibility on a stacked team, then transfers to another school when half of KU underclassmen jump to the NBA... so he can sit out a year to play because he wants to play right away.

Okay then. Translating this into English -- he was probably not going to get off the bench much at KU.

Good luck to you Royce. Maybe you should have red-shirted last season. Or did he, I don't remember if I saw him play.

ahpersecoachingexperience 10 years, 7 months ago

he was asked to and didn't do it for some reason. now he ends up wasting 2 years of eligability unless he transfers to a d2 school then he doens't have to sit out (i think)

LAJayhawk 10 years, 7 months ago

He didn't burn his redshirt, so he could use that to transfer and not lose a year.

xfitter 10 years, 7 months ago

He still has to sit, he won't lose a year of eligibility but he will have to sit which means that he won't play NOW as his mom says he wants to do.

LAJayhawk 10 years, 7 months ago

Hey, Captain Obvious, I know he would still have to sit... that's usually what you have to do when you redshirt.....

And sitting out a year wasn't what ahperse said... "now he ends up wasting 2 years of eligibility".... that is not true based on what I posted above. Your correction had nothing to do with the point.

LAJayhawk 10 years, 7 months ago

Let's just give you the same response....

ahpersecoachingexperience 10 years, 7 months ago

LAJayhawk 10 years, 7 months ago

crap!

(thought this was an OCD thing like turning the doorknob three times)

justinryman 10 years, 7 months ago

Raise your hands away from the keyboard and mouse. OK slide your chair back a foot or two, walk around the cubicle and then come back and try again. I mean you've got it down, if at first you don't succeed try and try again. What else can go wrong? A repeat????

Yakihawk 10 years, 7 months ago

I guess my computer's name should be HAL. I don't know why this was posted here.

brooksmd 10 years, 7 months ago

Guess you didn't read the entire article.

lawrence_is_my_middle_name 10 years, 7 months ago

...along with Elijah Johnson, Travis Releford, Jeff Withey and Conor Teahan. That's a good core to mix in with a solid recruiting class, assuming Self gets what he's looking for. Next year should be similar to the 2009 campaign.

Clydecito 10 years, 7 months ago

I'm guessing he was earmarked for red shirting this year and saw no playing time. Hopefully there may also be some recruiting news indicating his long term would not be optimum for playing time. All the best to the kid, may his dreams come true.

KU_alum_2001 10 years, 7 months ago

You're not going to redshirt a guy when there are 5 (or is it 6?) open scholarships, especially if he's not even good enough to start at any point in the near future.

Matt Kenton 10 years, 7 months ago

Tyshawn will be a senior. He's got Elijah ahead of him too, and yes probably Naadir Tharpe and definitely Ben McLemore.

jayhawkinATL 10 years, 7 months ago

Oh, well...we are too guard-heavy anyway. Good luck, Royce!

justinryman 10 years, 7 months ago

Royce we wish you luck where ever you go.

It won't be in conference cause then he sits a year and it goes against his eligibility.

Depends on the size of school he transfers to about missing year or not. I believe that any Div. 1 school he will have to sit, but if he goes Div. 2 then he can play right away or even go the Jr. College route play a year there and transfer to a D1 school.

Just hope people don't hate on him like they are Josh for going to the NBA, but then again there will always be haters.

Once a Jayhawk, always a Jayhawk. J.F.L.

RockinChalkin1984 10 years, 7 months ago

Crazy, but good luck to you Royce! Wish you the best!

rcjh88 10 years, 7 months ago

We will miss you Royce! Good luck wherever you go!

LAJayhawk 10 years, 7 months ago

"'We have some options (of other schools) that we will look at because Royce really wants to play right now.'"

Uh, except he'll have to redshirt to not lose a year of eligibility when he sits out.... how is this playing "right now"?

Clearly, Self must have told him that he is fighting an uphill battle for playing time. Coach probably insinuated to him that from what he's seen Royce will be a bench guy if he stays at KU. He's obviously behind Taylor and EJ, B-Mac probably takes a chunk of minutes that could go to him, same for Travis. Naadir must also be looking at seeing the floor early, or at least Royce doesn't want to battle him out for it.

If he redshirted next year, he would more than likely get some time in '12-'13 with TT gone, but he probably feels like Self will pick up another big name guard in that time, so it's uphill the whole way. He probably wants to head to a less competitive school and be assured time on the court in '12-'13 (again, though, not right away, as that won't be possible).

Marcia Parsons 10 years, 7 months ago

If he wants to play now, he can always transfer to a D2 school. You don't have to sit out a year in that case. I'm sorry it didn't work out for him.

selfishhawk 10 years, 7 months ago

All that makes perfect sense. But shouldn't Self and Royce have known that before this season. Did Royce really see himself starting his sophomore year at KU? What's wrong with developing a player over two years and then having a junior/senior who leads.

4jhawks4ku 10 years, 7 months ago

Wow, I feel new recruiting news coming up. Somethings in the wind.

waywardJay 10 years, 7 months ago

i totally concur. Player X ( and Possibly Y ) are behind a door somewhere.,... I hope one is over 250 pounds.

Steve Jacob 10 years, 7 months ago

Don't know why guys come to KU that will not play much. How much would have Dorian Green played this year? He got 29.3 minutes per game at a good Colorado St. this year.

LJ Gee 10 years, 7 months ago

Wow, good luck Royce, sincerely. It was nice of him to be so praising of KU even in his departure. This will probably make HCBS's job easier with regards to setting lineups and rotations. I'll say this though, he was an ESPNU100 player - if im not mistaken - and it may not reflect well on us that he never really got any playing time here. Especially when you combine that with the year Selby had, I hope recruits dont start to think that if they want to be showcased and get early playing time, Kansas is not the right place for them.

rxjayhawk 10 years, 7 months ago

Star Trek is for lames.

Good luck Royce!!

Benjamin Clay Jones 10 years, 7 months ago

Royce, your love for KU really touched the Jayhawk fan base, even before you arrived on campus, and we will miss you! Best of luck in your future endeavors.

Thomas Matlock 10 years, 7 months ago

Too bad. He seems to be a great young man. Just bad timing, I guess. Good luck youngster.

KUsmoothies 10 years, 7 months ago

Best of luck to Royce. Maybe this means we are going to bring in some really good recruits?

leonard 10 years, 7 months ago

Selby and Woolridge? Just bush-hogging the weeds and trimming the deadwood...no big deal.

Marcia Parsons 10 years, 7 months ago

You sound just like the Mizzou fans we make fun of for saying, after they don't get a recruit, that they really weren't any good anyway.

Stan Unruh 10 years, 7 months ago

Now...the question is....Will walk on Niko Roberts transfer to Florida? His dad is now on the coaching staff with the Gators.

Michael Bratisax 10 years, 7 months ago

It is a good question although I don't think Niko would ever make much of an impact at KU

KGphoto 10 years, 7 months ago

So what then, Selby is an Ahole and Royce is okay?

I wish luck to Royce just as I wish it to Selby. There is no difference in what they are doing. They are leaving KU for greener pastures.

Why is it that Selby is receiving so much grief for it?

Janet Olin 10 years, 7 months ago

It's the manner in which the announcement was handled. Selby uses Twitter and has his mom call Coach. Oh, and he disrespected all the coaches and players who supported him by blowing off the banquet.Royce showed class at least.

justinryman 10 years, 7 months ago

And yet all the quotes about the fans at KU were from Royce's mom, not him. Tomato Tamato.

KGphoto 10 years, 7 months ago

The coaches have been in on this for awhile. You think he just skipped the banquet without the coaches knowing? Gimme a break.

JRandall 10 years, 7 months ago

Royce took the time and made the effort to thank the people that invested in his development. Even though it didn't work out, he handled it with class and maturity. Selby basically gave everyone the middle finger and said later without showing his teammates or coaching staff any respect. Anyone who can't see the difference in their handling of the situation isn't worth arguing with.

Sam Constance 10 years, 7 months ago

Unless you're on the team and privy to how Selby handled things with the coaches and players, you don't have the first clue about that which you're talking.

Gave everyone the middle finger? Give me an effing break.

Michael Bratisax 10 years, 7 months ago

I must have missed your post the first time through. Would have saved me the time it took to post my very similar feelings.

KUsmoothies 10 years, 7 months ago

I think it might be because it was obvious that Royce was always very passionate about KU and Selby was always very passionate about the NBA. KU fans aren't use to players caring so little about our program.

Ty Mar 10 years, 7 months ago

We will miss you Royce! I was excited to see you play but good luck and kick butt wherever you go!

Gregory Newman 10 years, 7 months ago

Good move that high-low is a death trap for guards you won't develope. Butler runs a variation of it but they allow for dribble-drive penetration for mid-range jumpers. If one has never played on a high school team in the 60's and 70's you would not have a clue its a lost art.

Watch guards like Chris Paul, Duane Wade, Jason Kidd, Chauncey Billips, Kirk Hinrich, Steve Nash, Brandon Roy and Mario Chalmers. Mario got that from his Dad. Manning is doing a great job with the Bigs but those other 3 coaches-please.

Ty Mar 10 years, 7 months ago

I've thought that too..but never mentioned it. How about Collins? I'll trust in HCBS.

justinryman 10 years, 7 months ago

Hey now I played ball in the late 80's and early 90's, I was a better mid range jump shooter than anything else. Caught a lot of teams off guard, but then again my dad was a coach and he played back well I guess when you did, the late 60's.

But you are right it is a lost art, and so is using the back board. they put it there for a reason with a target on it even. I love that 7 footer just short of the elbow off the glass.

John Boyle 10 years, 7 months ago

We have elements of dribble penetration in our offense. What games are you watching? Go to a practice sometime and watch what they do. This is not a good post.

Michael Bratisax 10 years, 7 months ago

'elements of dribble penetration' A subject which you know all too well...

Tony Bushard 10 years, 7 months ago

Yeah. Deron Williams really chafed under the high-low system.

justinryman 10 years, 7 months ago

Thomas Robinson Forward Conner Teahan Guard
Justin Wesley Forward Jeff Withey Center
Tyshawn Taylor
Royce Woolridge Guard Transfered Brady Morningstar Guard Graduated Tyrel Reed Guard Graduated Elijah Johnson Guard
Niko Roberts Guard
Markieff Morris Center Early entry to draft Marcus Morris Forward Early entry to draft Mario Little Guard Graduated Travis Releford Guard
Josh Selby Guard Early entry to draft Jordan Juenemann Guard

So now we got 9 players left from this past years team, plus 2 already committed. So at least we have enough to scrimmage, and don't have to pull a Bobby Knight and have a reality show to get a walk on.

KU_alum_2001 10 years, 7 months ago

This is starting to look like the movie "Hoosiers". We're going to have 6 1/2 guys suiting up every game at this rate... although they DID win the state title in the movie so...

Dear Class of 2012... We are now hiring. We have many entry- and managment-level positions. Please apply to Bill Self, Director of HR, University of Kansas.

trenae01 10 years, 7 months ago

Wow really.....YES KANSAS JAYHAWKS has then BEST fan base and team the world could ask for....Don't forget that we have Thomas "TRob" Robinson and he will be on the court he is just as good if not better :) The reason why Selby is getting grief is because of the way he went about leaving KU..... No matter JAYHAWK NATION does wish him the best of luck.....He could of went to K-State and pulled that mess off and no would care but his Mom should not put fault on KU or the NCAA for his dumb mistakes....We will fill his spot with someone that is better and we hope that person will give us more than one year and if not when they do leave they won't try to talk trash about KU we are the BEST in the NATION rather people want to believe it or not....

Ty Mar 10 years, 7 months ago

What the heck did I just read? Are you drunk? Yoda is that you? lol

yates33333 10 years, 7 months ago

He's or she's about 12 years old. Be kind to children KUlove06.

gchawk 10 years, 7 months ago

"Could have went"?? Sorry, couldn't pass on that one.

trenae01 10 years, 7 months ago

Wasn't Conner a Senior ? I can't remember:(

pizzaboy225 10 years, 7 months ago

Damn. I'm going to miss this kid, always made me smile. I will never forget "Star Trek is for Lames"

Selbyville 10 years, 7 months ago

I don't understand this at all, I certainly looked forward to him making a name for himself this next year and the year after. Whatever, more tick for Elijah, Naadir, and my man Ben

Kye Clark 10 years, 7 months ago

Just curious (and as Jaybate would say, no malice intended), but are you going to change your name to McLemoreville?

Selbyville 10 years, 7 months ago

yes if you see a McLemoreville it would be me, unless another poster takes this idea and runs with it

waywardJay 10 years, 7 months ago

The dangers of choosing a handle that expires after a season....errr... part of a season....

KGphoto 10 years, 7 months ago

Nice. You can be Coleville. And I will be Witheyville. Don't laugh he's due.

JayDocMD 10 years, 7 months ago

dibbs on Deandreville (I can hope, right?)

waywardJay 10 years, 7 months ago

We may have to get a draft going for Perry Ellisville.

Joe Baker 10 years, 7 months ago

We've got to hear some good news. This is getting a little on the depressing side. I really liked Royce and loved his bball IQ.

Jabez Harlan 10 years, 7 months ago

Good Luck Royce! He joins a group of players that transferred. Definitely not the first time a good player has left an elite program.

David Padgett, Quintrell Thomas, Tyrone Appleton, J.R. Giddens just to name a few.

This just opens a spot for another elite recruit that can hopefully help out right away!

Troll_or_AntiTroll 10 years, 7 months ago

The truly "elite" recruits have already signed elsewhere.

Jack Wilson 10 years, 7 months ago

Daniels? Lacey? They are elite enough. But I get your point. How about making up a word .. "eliter" recruits?

Or maybe proper English .. this opens a spot for a more elite recruit.

Dale Kroening 10 years, 7 months ago

What do you consider elite, top 5 ? Daniels is a top 10 recruit, and Lacey is a top 35 recruit genius.........

xfitter 10 years, 7 months ago

J.R. was dismissed for getting stabbed lets not put him in with the others, total waste of god given freak athletic ability.

Michael Bratisax 10 years, 7 months ago

Add Galindo who I think would have played 10-15 min in his junior and senior years.. Also Mica Downs..good riddance. C.J, Giles: head case w/talent Any others?

Janet Olin 10 years, 7 months ago

Omar Wilkes. Then, there was Luke Axtell...

Josh Galler 10 years, 7 months ago

Luke was not a transfer out during Bill Sef's time, he actually tranferred in from Texas during Roy's time

Troll_or_AntiTroll 10 years, 7 months ago

Of course there are others--OMAR WILKES! Folks, the words is out about this program. Hence the Mass Exodus, the recruiting "power outage," etc.

Michael Bratisax 10 years, 7 months ago

I'm sure the proximity of the p and o was purely coincidental...

Tony Bushard 10 years, 7 months ago

Don't forget Giles and Downs. Would we have reeled in Arthur without those departures?

Troll_or_AntiTroll 10 years, 7 months ago

As a 4 star recruit, Lacey is--by definition--not among the elite. But, I agree, Daniels and Lacey are "elite enough" at this point.

justinryman 10 years, 7 months ago

For Sale: Used car

Rolls Royce. Still needs to work a few of the kinks out of it, but runs well though. Not much wear and tear. Has three years left to play. Seat is a little worn, tires are primed and ready to run. Get it now!!

Troll_or_AntiTroll 10 years, 7 months ago

Ron_Kellogg (anonymous) says…

I think this guy could wind up having a Jeremy Case-like impact on the program.

Ron, wherever you have gone, when you said this about Royce back in August of '09, I didn't know if it was intended to be a compliment or an insult. While I suppose you were right in terms of their on-court contributions, I feel that Jeremy made a far greater impact on the program as a whole.

Dyrk Dugan 10 years, 7 months ago

if he wants to play right away, he must be going to Division II. so a Washburn or a Missouri Southern, or CMSU...something like that.

i mean bless his heart...and he committed to KU when he was like a sophomore in HS....so his game really went south from then until now. because when he came into games, even in the scrub roll, he was not good...or smooth.

good luck to him.....and i guess you get these guys once in awhile...but he was a top 150 player...and he really couldn't play at the big time level.

xfitter 10 years, 7 months ago

Cause you got to see him play for real right? Not just in mop up minutes with the other walk-ons? Is anyone looking "smooth" the last few minutes of the game when we are up by 50 points? Did Elijah or Thomas look "smooth" last season as freshmen? NO. Most freshman aren't smooth at this level because they're going against a different monster, you don't know how his game would translate with another summer of conditioning on the court with the remaining team members and incoming recruits, or him working with Hudy and getting huge. Don't speculate on what level he can or can't play on when you have a limited spectrum with which to do so.

KUsmoothies 10 years, 7 months ago

If HCBS let him go then it was probably because he couldn't compete. Simmer down guy

Joe Baker 10 years, 7 months ago

Selby declares and Royce transferring, Self needs to throw us a bone. It's like a freaking trade. We got to be getting someone soon.

I really think we're getting Daniels. The only good guards are TT and EJ? Tharpe isn't quite the talent of Royce. We're either getting DD or maybe Lacey, dare I say both? Maybe neither recruit at this rate. Heck, Roberts and Christian should just transfer at this point. If Royce leaves with his talent level, Chrisitan and Roberts aren't Royce type talent. Our bench is Roberts, Garrett and Wesley at this point, next?

Come on coach throw a freakin' bone here. You're killing us with this NBA and transferring crap.

Michael Bratisax 10 years, 7 months ago

Tharpe ranked 91, Royce 120th. I hope Tharpe will bring more to the table than Royce. Always a risk in signing a player who is not in his senior year.

Joe Baker 10 years, 7 months ago

He was in the 90s my friend and his senior yr of HS, they dropped him. They do it to every KU recruit. Watch what they do to Peters and Ellis their senior years. Peters did the same thing. What explanation will you give when they drop both of these players? It happens and frankly it's not an indication of the player's ability. WTH do they know and who are they to drop a recruit? They'll find some hot recruit committed to dook, uk, unc or uconn and move them up unjustifiably.

Royce could've started for most D1 schools. His brother went to UT and stung us for 20+ points in Knoxville, remember that? You obviously never watched him play. You'd be the same way if you sit the bench and never played. I'm glad he left and will enjoy watching him light up other schools. I just wish he could play for KU.

Michael Bratisax 10 years, 7 months ago

Royce who made zero impact gets mostly polite good-byes while Selby got trashed. I don't get it. Good luck to both.

gratefultyler 10 years, 7 months ago

What positive impact did Selby have...remind me again?

justinryman 10 years, 7 months ago

Game winner against USC, kept the home court winning streak alive for the moment. And yes we all cheered for him when he hit that shot too. Don't forget.

Michael Bratisax 10 years, 7 months ago

I made no mention of Selby' impact but Justin did a good job of it.

Sam Constance 10 years, 7 months ago

There is no place at KU for your type of fan.

Janet Olin 10 years, 7 months ago

Selby's blowing off the banquet was a slap in the face to all the coaches and players who supported him through his non-productive freshman year. Then using Twitter to announce his draft declaration, while having his mom tell Coach--what is this, junior high? No class vs. real class for Royce.

waywardJay 10 years, 7 months ago

Not so upset with him blowing off the banquet, He needed to know if he was pro-caliber, and apparently he is. though it WAS kinda crappy to leave via Twitter. but then again, he's what 18-19.

KGphoto 10 years, 7 months ago

Did Self sound like he'd been slapped in the face? No.

He knew exactly what was going on, he's known this was a possibility when he recruited him. Get over it!

JRandall 10 years, 7 months ago

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, just as you are. You think he exited fine, others don't. Who needs to get over it?

KU_alum_2001 10 years, 7 months ago

Amen. And these guys read these boards regularly, as Selby more than pointed out. It makes us look bad. Not all programs have boards as visible and active as this one and then these kids read this stuff and take it to heart.

Selby had a series of unfortunate events happen this year. We never saw his best, leaving many very bitter. I personally didn't want to see him leave because a) I know he's talented and could have helped us next year, and b) I think he would have benefited himself by staying, but when you're 18 and you see fans ripping you so often, it's tough to feel any love towards the program and fans that brought you in. And now Selby is gone and has zero allegiance to KU, and that's unfortunate. That's not what KU is about, at least not for a guy that really didn't do anything wrong.

I think your point is dead-on, 7782.

Benjamin Piehler 10 years, 7 months ago

please. let's not pretend for a second that these boards had anything to do with selby leaving. to say that "NOW he has zero allegiance" is without any merit. And even if that were true; any recruit who gets scared away by fans with expectations and knowledge of the game isn't ready for a program like KU, UNC, UK, Duke ect.

Joe Baker 10 years, 7 months ago

Alum- I agree about Selby but KU invested quite a bit and what do we have to show for his overall contribution? Not too much. It's not Selby's fault but the whole thing wasn't managed very well. Royce was also a victim of Selby's circumstance and never got the chance that Selby did to play.

Now we not only lose Selby, which isn't a big surprise, but Royce Woolridge too. Oh well, we'll see how it all ends. I'm sure everyone wins. Just hate losing unnecessarily, but everyone gets what they want.

Who gives a flyin' flip what we think, right?

KUsmoothies 10 years, 7 months ago

KU1965 10 years, 7 months ago

Well said. Hopefully Tyrel and Brady will inspire other Kansas players (like Perry Ellis) to consider KU.

Joe Baker 10 years, 7 months ago

jhawk- He didn't get the chance. If he was given the chance Selby got, it would've been a better choice by Self. At least Royce was healthy but Selby was the golden recruit and Self bent over backward to get him that playing time for those NBA scouts. I like Selby and he's a great player. But once he dove, Self should've played Royce and given him some mins. I would love to see what Royce would've done with those Selby mins. Royce was a true Jayhawk and deserved to play more. He didn't play games during his recruitment and for that he was screwed. He lost and I do believe recruits are going to take note of this debacle. This Selby/Royce thing may seem all part of the process, but this will set Self's program back on the recruiting game.

Sorry Royce and thanks for committing so early. You got screwed. I hope you do exactly what you want, you deserve it. If you all didn't remember, this was the kid that said, "If I go to the NBA, great. If not, I'll fall back on my business degree. It's my dream to start a business." Also the kid made a 4.0 in high school and I'm curious about his KU GPA. I'd like to see what classes he took compared to Selby's 3.0 GPA that Self announced during Selby's NBA declaration.

Sam Constance 10 years, 7 months ago

The second-guessing of Self playing #1-overall recruit Selby, when healthy enough to play, over a kid who was outside the top 100 is baffling to me.

Ever consider the fact that Selby playing through an injury was still a more positive impact than 100% Woolridge? After all, Self got to watch these guys go at each other in practice on a daily basis.

Sometimes I wonder if Self wouldn't be better suited to play a longer rotation than 8-9, but in terms of his giving minutes in games to the guys that earn them in practice, he seems to be pretty solid.

Ken Sedgwick 10 years, 7 months ago

jhawk7782 you have proven you dont get alot of things.

Stebbins 10 years, 7 months ago

April 2011: OMG, the sky is falling. This kid's probably in Vegas right now, thinking he'll be drafted. No more top 100 recruits to sign. Aaaah!

March 2012: 8th Big 12 title.

Jabez Harlan 10 years, 7 months ago

DeAndre Daniels and Trevor Lacey are still available as of today...

Michael Bratisax 10 years, 7 months ago

So is top 10 prospect Jarnell Stokes now that Pearl was fired. I don't think Self had ever recruited him. Maybe he could work some magic. Worked before.

100 10 years, 7 months ago

On Stokes it would be us against Memphis.

He's a Tennessee kid so that would be impressive if Self could pull it off.

Michael Bratisax 10 years, 7 months ago

I agree 100...it would not be easy to get him in a KU uniform.

JayDocMD 10 years, 7 months ago

I'm going to get murdered for this thought, so I'm going to toss it out out there and run, claiming no responsibility for it. I don't even know if I like the idea, and it will almost certainly never happen, but here goes...

Wally Judge.

Bear with me.

• we have several big man scholarships to give: a risk worth taking?
  • Is he too mental? Hard to tell if the kid is a basket case or if he was Martinized at a vulnerable time in his life: Young kid away from home (in Manhattan of all places) and the tough love of his father-figure coach was too tough.
  • he is an athletic big man: Ronald McDonald certified
  • he would sit for a year, allowing his Frank Martin-shattered ego to recover while learning under the tutelage of Master Manning.

I will now step away and if we all want to pretend this never happened, that might be best.

Keith Kienzle 10 years, 7 months ago

+1 I like the way you're thinking! I remember thinking at the time Judge was released "Man, I thought that kid was going to blow up this year!"

That's a lot of potential right there, esp. paired with Manning as you suggested.

100 10 years, 7 months ago

That makes two McD All American big men that are available. Judge would have to sit out at least one more semester I believe, if not an entire year. Stokes would be available immediately due to Pearl's firing.

Joe Baker 10 years, 7 months ago

I thought the same thing briefly when he left. The Judge is a headcase.

bradynsdad 10 years, 7 months ago

Good luck Royce! Something tells me either teahan, Travis, Wesley, or Jordan are looking really good or we have two more kids getting ready to sign. Hopefully all of the above. I put my trust in trob, tyshaun, and Elijah taking us through to the promiseland next year.

panalytic 10 years, 7 months ago

Good luck Royce! Sincerely sorry that you will not be around. Best wishes to obtain your desire for immediate playing time.

HawkKlaw 10 years, 7 months ago

This totally takes me by surprise! Not that I'm glad he's leaving by any means, but I think it must have to do with Bill Self being on the verge of getting some big time recruit. Think about it, Selby just said he was leaving yesterday, which opened up the door for Royce to get some minutes at the 2 spot next year. I think there's something going on behind the scenes here.

Regardless, good luck Royce!

Joe Baker 10 years, 7 months ago

I hope so Klaw. This loss better be well worth the loss.

justinryman 10 years, 7 months ago

They have said in the past and mostly in the NBA that you need 3 guys to win it all, with some good role players beside them.

Of course there is always the team that has 5 or 6 really good players ala '08.

But right now KU is sitting fine with TT, TR and EJ and getting some more freshman to fill some roles and go from there.

Sometimes you add by subtraction.

UConn won the title this year and it was mostly 2 guys and sometimes 3. Butler the past 2 years, 3 main guys. Duke had 3 or 4 last year when they won it all.

Priest Fontaine 10 years, 7 months ago

Don't blame him for leaving but the kid should have red-shirted last year and then would be playing more than just mop up minutes this next year. Imagine if Royce would have stuck it out. He had potential to be a star for us in a couple more years. It's so simple, he should have just called and talked to me.

Fingers crossed for Lacey + DD combo.

Lacey, DD or Lacey, Traylor, Murray or DD, Traylor, Murray

Any or all of these recruits would lighten the sting of our loses.

100 10 years, 7 months ago

Does anyone really care about Uconn's "coaching"?

Yes they "won" the 2011 title. But don't forget....

Without VCU, Uconn doesn't win anything because they wouldn't have been playing Butler in the championship game.

Nineteen points at halftime? Of a championship game?

THAT'S coaching?

Joe Baker 10 years, 7 months ago

That's called cheating and the ncaa won't do anything more because of the penalty early in the year. The great Calhoun even accepted the suspension and did the ncaa a favor by cooperating.

Yeah, he's a great coach. I wonder what Self could do if he cheated, lied and bought recruits? Hmmm, maybe win a NC?

I will say Self is one clean coach and will never stoop for recruits.

The real sad thing is the ncaa will never prove anything against Cal&Cal.

Michael Bratisax 10 years, 7 months ago

In Calhoun's defense, he has won 3 NCAA titles in less than 15 years... But I'm glad he coaches elsewhere.

Kye Clark 10 years, 7 months ago

To those of you who feel that a big sign is imminent I have to ask...why? Yes we have open scholarships, but the departures of Selby & Royce do not equal big recruiting news on the horizon. Much of this stems from the misconception fans get when constructing a potential line-up, they list the 5 positions, who will fill them, and then list a back-up for each position. Consider in '08, we had a primary perimeter rotation of 4 players for 3 positions - RussRob, Mario, Rush, & Sherron. Roderick Stewart played when there was injuries or severe foul trouble. So 5 guys is all that's really needed for those 3 spots. Do we have those 5 now? TT, EJ, Releford, McLemore, & Tharpe. Check. And while not related to Woolridge's potential playing time, just to further illustrate, Self primarily rotates 3 guys in the post, and either has a 4th big for foul trouble or injuries or plays smaller line-ups. Do we have 3 post players? TRob, Withey, & Anderson (throw in Justin Wesley for emergencies). Check.

While I don't doubt that Self will sign a couple more players, I don't necessarily see Royce's transfer as an indication that there is some knowledge floating around out there that someone else is coming in to take his minutes. I think even if we don't sign anyone else better than Royce that he was slated for more than mop-up minutes anyway. This isn't to say that we won't sign Daniels and/or Lacey, but this transfer tells me nothing regarding their recruitment.

justinryman 10 years, 7 months ago

I have to agree with your outlook on next year.

Plus HCBS can hold the scholarship and then have it available for the next recruiting class. That way he can spread some of his talent out instead of it all being in one class.

And to those who are in a panic state about all the 5 and 4 star recruits already unavailable, sometimes you just wait and get a good one that has lost out elsewhere and will play with a nice chip on his shoulders. And with an open Scholarship you can bring in a transfer or JuCo player.

Lots of options, c'mon we all need something to talk about anyway til the fall rolls around.

HawkKlaw 10 years, 7 months ago

I see your point, but it makes me think it is a sign of a big recruit coming for a couple of reasons:

1. Bill Self has said recently that he's trying to recruit at least one more perimeter player (my guess is someone for the 2 spot, Royce's position...pretty big indicator).

2. With Selby gone, you would've thought that Royce was in position to get a decent amount minutes next year. We don't really have a true "2 spot" type of player on the roster right now besides Garrett and Juenemann, and I don't think Self is going to be starting either of them. I bet Self and Royce discussed this.

Not saying it is for sure, but there's going to be some speculation with those two glaring signs.

Andy Tweedy 10 years, 7 months ago

I agree, too. The idea that this means a recruiting coup implies Royce has some sort of inside knowledge, which I'm fairly sure he does not. As for the number of scholarships, next year was on everybody's radar as a big recruiting year, so now one more scholarship is available.

Viggo3003 10 years, 7 months ago

What is going on meow I like Royce I wish meow he would not be meow leaving.

R2D2 10 years, 7 months ago

Lets not forget about Christian Garrett the walk-on from IMG academy. The kid is 6' 3" and DeAndre Daniels good friend. Garrett could be a Brady like player in size and style of play. He may end up with one of the scholarships

Lone_salina_kufan 10 years, 7 months ago

I really think this kid has potential to be really really good. I for one, hate that he is leaving. He committed early and stuck to it. So clearly of good character, and his low rating on rivals many "experts" contributed that to committing so early, they don't watch and cover you as a prospect anymore. So he got a little lost in the shuffle.

I think this kid would've been a real contributor. Gonna miss him, and will root for him where ever he goes.

Janet Olin 10 years, 7 months ago

Best of luck to you, Royce. I'm sorry not to see you play more minutes, but you've handled it in a classy way, and I wish you great success.

Benjamin Piehler 10 years, 7 months ago

good luck, Can't blame you for wanting to get out of "garbage time"

Bryan Fisher 10 years, 7 months ago

Sorry to hear you're leaving us Royce. We'll all miss your big smile and amusing comments from the timeout videos.

"Star Trek is for lames!" - Royce Woolridge

tah 10 years, 7 months ago

I was looking forward to him playing more! I wish him the best!

REHawk 10 years, 7 months ago

Very classy comments from Royce and his mother. Too bad a kid with this good character did not work out for Jayhawk hoops. I was a strong proponent of his opting for a freshman red shirt. However, things have a way of working out. Now I would advise him to take a look at a topnotch jr. cllg. or a Top Ten Div. 2 program if he is deadset on immediate play. Early commitments bear the burden of high risk. Royce eventually sizzled statistically in Arizona high school hoops; but his game did not fit in comfortably with current Jayhawk talent. I look to see him do well, if not superbly, if he finds the proper fit in a new setting. Nice determined kid who deserves the best.

Joe Joseph 10 years, 7 months ago

All of this, and Connor Teahen still won't get any PT.

Michael Auchard 10 years, 7 months ago

An old-blue-eyes classy exit. He's still a member of The Family, in my opinion. Wish it would have worked out.

stevej 10 years, 7 months ago

big difference between royce and selby. The way Royce hadled this is the right way. cant fault either for making the decision. Royce was never going to be the go to guy and there are schools that he will be able to be

vd 10 years, 7 months ago

Teehan is probably ahead of him on the depth chart.

JHAWKNPHX 10 years, 7 months ago

Sad to hear Royce and good luck!! Once a JHAWK always a JHAWK

I saw this kid play in Phoenix and he was always proud to be playing for us.

I do agree with previous post... Something has to be up with players coming in next year. Lets not kid ourselves, we need some quality players and HCBS knows it.

RCJHK!!!

4jhawks4ku 10 years, 7 months ago

Enjoyed reading his statements. This is an honest kid. Good luck Royce, thanks for all your hard work, time,and effort. I hope you land somewhere where you can contribute in a big way.

jayhawkliz 10 years, 7 months ago

I have a feeling he will go to a division2 school if he wants to play otherwise he will have to sit out a year! So if he really wants to play where is he going to go? Anyway, Good Luck Royce! and all the best!

KGphoto 10 years, 7 months ago

So where is he gonna go?

If I were Arizona St. I'd be taking a real hard look. They were terrible last year, and they are losing their two best guards to graduation. I bet Royce could help turn their frown upside down pretty quickly. Plus he'd get to go home, and play in a major D1 conference.

I'm actually a little anxious to see where he decides.

DevilHawk 10 years, 7 months ago

As an ASU alum, I certainly wouldn't mind seeing Royce join the team...especially considering that he almost certainly developed a D-1 work ethic during his year here.

Best of luck to him (almost) wherever he goes.

addlime 10 years, 7 months ago

Damn this sucks! I really liked what I saw of Royce. At times I wondered if he would have done a better job than Selby this season. I really thought he'd be in the rotation next season, especially when somebody inevitably has an injury. I think all of you posters that talk about his low recruiting ranking are idiots. Selby was top 5, did he look top 5? Marcus was in the 40's I think. That crap doesn't matter. Royce looked like he was the type that could develop into a nice player. This Sucks!!!!

Jeremy Bolinger 10 years, 7 months ago

oh well. I'm sure we can recruit better guards.

BewareOfThePhogOnTheWater 10 years, 7 months ago

WOW, what a classy kid. We will definitely miss you in AFH, Royce. Your wonderful smile, wit and comment on Star Trek will be remembered for a long time. All of the Jayhawk Family wishes you the best. You may be leaving (and we do understand your reasoning on why), but you will always be a Jayhawk. Good luck!! JFL

Mark Lindrud 10 years, 7 months ago

If he is looking to play next year and go back to Arizona then it has to be NAU. He doesn't have to sit out a year. Guess it depends on what he wants. If he did go to Arizona they will be loaded at guards so ASU would be the best choice for him.

I was excited to see him this year, but he wants more PT than he feels he will get next year. Hope it turns out for him well. I will keep an eye on him and hope for the best. Rock Chalk!

SDSurferFan 10 years, 7 months ago

Please check out SDSU Royce. Great city, coming off best year, chicks, and I think you'll see some PT. 4 starters gone (1-2 NBAers).

I'm going to miss 10-11 season. SDSU rebuilds, KU reloads....I'd say there is a bit of rebuilding with KU, but I'd kill for KUs reserves for next year at SDSU.

Three weeks until we are coming back to Lawrence for family reunion. Look fwd to showing my daughter where the JayHawks play.

Jeremy Bolinger 10 years, 7 months ago

Based on????????? Do explain what you saw that would justify such a statement

Andy Hess 10 years, 7 months ago

show me a game Royce didn't play in where we "ran up the score."

Jeremy Bolinger 10 years, 7 months ago

Players dont develope playing against 2nd string nobodies in a 30 point blowout. Players develope over time, in practice playing against better competition. Royce had chances to develope his talents in practice, against much better athletes than he would've faced in blowouts. He is what he is. He didn't give KU a fair shot in my opinion, and didnt want to prove to coaches he could compete at a higher level.

massjhawk 10 years, 7 months ago

Classy way for Royce and family to handle this situation. Can't blame a player who loves the game for wanting to play. Rock Chalk, Royce -we'll be cheering for you.

massjhawk 10 years, 7 months ago

Dale Kroening 10 years, 7 months ago

Really hate to see you go Royce, good luck wherever you land. Was looking forward to seeing you get some playing time this coming season, but Im guessing it wasnt in HCBS's plans. Rather puzzling and disappointing at the same time. Would also like to say the kind words Royce and his mother had for all KU Nation was very classy , as Royce has also been his entire time at KU. Now it makes me wonder does that mean Lacey to KU ? Somethings got to be brewing imo.

Jack Wilson 10 years, 7 months ago

Players transferring .. that aren't big time guys .. is good news. It is positive.

It's like taking a laxative. Cleans out the system.

Royce would have been a guy that could play by his junior or senior season, but was a likely redshirt this coming season anyway. Smart move to transfer. Good for Royce. Good for KU. I think a bit of Mario Little. If he goes to a lesser program, like say, Texas Tech, he might have started for two seasons. It's a choice. Teahan same way -- if he had chosen a Wichita St.

Self was likely painfully honest with Royce, as he should be. And he probably advised Royce on the guys we would be recruiting. And Self probably has a clue on how he thinks Royce will develop, based on experience. I bet he shared this with Royce. All this equals a transfer. Good for Royce, good for KU.

Now, what do we do with it?

Slim chance we get both Daniels and Lacey; Maybe we get one. If we get one, this class is not a grand slam. It's a triple (on paper) with home run potential. But pretty darn good. If we don't get one, it's a double, but a disappointing double based on the rest of the game (multiple strikeouts).

Quite possibly Self is really looking to the 2012 recruiting class as the big one. With the twins deflecting the top guys away, not wanting to come and sit on the bench, it put Self behind the 8-ball. Lots of scholarships available .. a Chalmers, Rush, Wright, and Downs type class is possible in 2012, with TRob likely going pro after next season. Self's best ever. We have Peters. Add three top 50 players, plus a targeted lower guy, and we could be in store for the next era of KU basketball. And hopefully Self is looking to build an era, not focusing too much on the top 15, one and done possibilities.

We may be in an interim period here if we don't get Lacey or Daniels. But if we get Lacey or Daniels, and Self has that big class in 2012, that's our next era of KU basketball. Getting top big guys will be a key to our 2012 class.

Troll_or_AntiTroll 10 years, 7 months ago

I agree with your intelligent post. I would only note that "Zach Peters is the new Royce Woolridge." The guy who signed way too early, while his stock was high, only to see his ranking plummet as Jr. and Sr. He's got to be in the high 90's by now. He's also "the new Ed Manning," or maybe the "precursor to Christian Garrett," i.e., the guy we sign to get someone he's close to.

Joe Baker 10 years, 7 months ago

Pretty much agree after "Quite possibly..." - I think he's stabilizing the squad and preparing for the season. Then 2012 is going to be huge regardless of what happens with this mess.

Michael Bratisax 10 years, 7 months ago

Easy HEM..using logic will get you a lot of negative replies.

jayhawkarmy 10 years, 7 months ago

This really makes me nervous. I hope that Bill is reloading very well to compete for the title and defend our big 12 crown....any thoughts?

Jeremy Bolinger 10 years, 7 months ago

I think the really only hurts our depth which, can be fixed by signing a junior college guard. I'm not a talent evaluator by any means, but I never saw him significant minutes until later in his career. I honestly believe we can and will do better.

Jabez Harlan 10 years, 7 months ago

Irish Daddy is officially a troll /////////////////////

Jeremy Bolinger 10 years, 7 months ago

7 straight? that's pretty impressive at any conference, yet alone a power conference. Royce Woolridge should have red-shirted and stayed here, but he didnt. It happens. He will go somewhere else and be ok, but not the player he could have been at KU. Move on.

Hank Cross 10 years, 7 months ago

It's better to lose the "coveted B12 crown" than to throw a bunch of schollies at leftovers. I'd rather take next year as a rebuilding year with an eye towards a monster class in 12.

Mark Lindrud 10 years, 7 months ago

I agree. We can get another player like Daniels and call it good. Save the big class for next year. Even with Peters we can get a C, Ellis at the 3, an SG and PG. It could be a big year for us to build for another title.

FLJHK 10 years, 7 months ago

This one truly saddens me. This is a kid that wanted to be a Jayhawk for like forever. For not coming from this general area, that is a rarity. And his comments upon leaving certainly indicate that the kid just reeks of class.

I admit that I became a bit skeptical as his draft rating kept falling during his senior year of high school, but thought it was due at least in part to an early committal bias. And this season, even though the cupboard was very full, I thought he would get more minutes than he did. I felt sure that eventually, as he stuck around the system, he would become a key player and a glue guy as an upper classman.

I have to believe that as HEM and others have indicated, Self was probably brutally honest and told him that significant playing time was likely to remain permanently elusive. If so, it’s certainly in the best interests of both sides to separate, but it’s still sad.

I only wish him the very best in the future and will always be happy that he will forever be a part of the Jayhawk family. Good luck Royce!

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 7 months ago

Random Question/Off Topic

Anybody know what kind of year CJ Henry had with his new team? Surely, he was MVP or something in that league after having worn the Crimson and Blue for a year.

Kye Clark 10 years, 7 months ago

He averaged 13 ppg for the Southern Nazarene Storm (Tied for the team lead I believe. Their team's stat page has him tied for the lead, but the article about team honors had one of his teammates scoring 13.2 ppg. I think what probably happened was his teammate's average dropped in their conference tournament, which was after the awards, and that dropped him into a tie with CJ). He received honorable mention for the Sooner Athletic conference.

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 7 months ago

See, this is what happens when a player leaves for more PT. CJ was what, 25 years old and a multi-sport athlete. In a league with far less parity than a DI league, he was only able to muster honorable mention in the conference.

Medium fish/small pond

Greener grass/not so much

Thanks for the research ICT.

Jhawk2515 10 years, 7 months ago

Sucks to see this, had potential. Good Luck Royce.

kentuckyjayhawk 10 years, 7 months ago

ROYCE GOOD LUCK WISH YOU WOULD HAVE STAYED. BILL AND DANNY AND THE BOYS I BELIVE YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING. ROCK CHALK.

hawksfan08 10 years, 7 months ago

Royce had the ability to be an impact player as a senior but there were simply too many guards ahead of him on the depth chart and that was only going to get worse. I personally respect his decision to transfer. I'm not sure this really changes anything as far as lacey or daniels, mainly because it didn't free up any minutes that weren't there already. We're going to be thin next year on the inside, and I will be curious to see if Self is willing to adapt to that. The last two years I don't feel like he's been willing to adapt to his players, instead trying to force his players into his system. While that worked flawlessly for the twins, it obivously had a negative effect on damn near everyone else. In short, I see this as the first "down year" of the Self era (3rd or 4th in the big 12, make the tourney easily, which other schools would kill for). It won't last long though as the 2011 class and 2012 class will both end up being better than expected

TheJimmyStyle 10 years, 7 months ago

Couldn't agree more. The minutes that Woolridge would have contributed are easily replaceable. Having said that, they still need to be replaced, preferably by impact players. It is nice to have senior role players, and he would have been a good one.

redlegger 10 years, 7 months ago

Wish you all the best Royce!

KU and KU Fans will miss you!

I am sure that you will continue to make an impact wherever you go!

Keep up the good work with school (3.6 GPA first semester is very impressive)!

Always a Jayhawk!

jaybate 10 years, 7 months ago

"Why Royce Left"

~Royce wants a role Self probably doubts he can play at KU, so Royce is going elsewhere to be closer to home, closer to where he wants to live and eventually work, closer to mom and with a shot at being a starting impact player playing 30 mpg. Think Omar Wilkes here, another son of an affluent ex pro athlete that left early, because his family had FU money. Good for both of them. FU money is a good thing. If I were a good king, like, say, The controlling owners of the Federal Reserve, I would grant all my friends, and all their children, FU money, as The Fed's controlling owners have in fact done for their friends and friends' children.

Keith Wilkes and Orlando Woolridge, like Danny Manning, know how good good really is. They know how much easier on one's body and one's home life making a living after the game is than making a living in the game is. Their wives, the mothers of these players, know, too. They know that unless you have a sky high ceiling, the game is just a game. Carl Henry knows it, too; that's why CJ wound up at Southern Nazarene...to have some fun playing the game again, rather than trying to make it to the next level.

Royce Woolridge is going to be a good player for some school, but not KU. KU just has too many good players coming in each year, especially too many good impact players to be what he wants to be at KU.

UA and ASU could use Royce, so could Stanford. Good luck, Royce.

Robert Brock 10 years, 7 months ago

I watched the New England Playaz - with Kaleb Tarczewski - last night (and I will watch them play a couple of times today) and they lack a point guard. That is because the PG is in Lawrence, Kansas. Yep...Tharpe. He is a good one and under-rated IMO.

yates33333 10 years, 7 months ago

Good Luck Royce. I wish you nothing but the best, and that you lead your next team to victories over every opponent except K.U. Please exclude Missouri and K-State from your list because I hope they lose every game they play in the Big 12, now 10.

master16 10 years, 7 months ago

best of luck to royce, he's a great player that could play or even start for many programs in america, but Kansas is just too loaded with talented players.

and in response to people asking about why people bash josh for leaving and not royce, because one is making a terrible mistake and one is advancing his college basketball career. selby is not an nba ready player yet, and imo will be lucky to be drafted within the first 25 picks. he has the potential to be a star anywhere, i'm pretty sure he would start if he came back for a 2nd year. as for royce, it's possible that he would probably be a role player his entire 4 years at KU, and never get a lot of playing time. if he transfers, he has the opportunity to start and advance his bball career.

also, just the way both characters handled the situation of them leaving. twitter, really? selby is leaving because he wants to, and IMO i just felt he was never that happy being in college bball, and showed it, again my opinion, in the last couple of games. royce, is making a move because he feels like he has no better option.

greenworld 10 years, 7 months ago

There's always one player every year that either doesnt get playing time or doesnt fit in. In his case I believe all the matter is was playing time. I remember these names from the past that where suppose to be's that came here and transferred. Jon Krider transferred to Washburn but never was as good as advestised. Padgett transferred to Louisville but had decent game but wanted to go to more faster team that passed the ball more down low I think. Micah Downs was Mcdonalds All american and transferred to Gonazaga. Never had much game here but did go there and fit in rather nice I think. And Alex Galindo transferred to Florida International with I believe and better setup for him with people he knew that lived in Fl and also more playing time. Never really was a huge threat at Ku from what I watched. Omarr Wilks left to go play at Cal. Not a bad player. All these guys have one thing in common with the ability to go somewhere else and play more with some not really fitting in the loop at KU so making it happen somewhere else. Im surprized Releford hasnt transferred yet??? He deserves better.

Jeremy Bolinger 10 years, 7 months ago

Releford understands how it works. He will play this year not only because of the lack of depth, but because he has improved. Guys like Tyrel and Brady should be examples to guys like Royce. Bide your time, work your butt off, and prove that you can play. I'm sorry Royce thought he couldnt contribute. You know whether you think you can or you think you cant, youre probably right. And in this case, he is probably right.

63Jayhawk 10 years, 7 months ago

Best of luck to you, Royce. I hope you do well where ever you decide to play. Thanks for coming to KU.

For all of you who discount Josh Selby. Selby WILL find a place in the NBA and he WILL do well. I'm sorry it didn't work out for him at KU the way we all (including Josh) wanted it to work out, but we all knew when he came to KU that he would most likely leave at the end of the year. He fulfilled his commitment to KU to the best of his ability under the circumstances. He's moved on and we fans should do likewise! I am very glad that Josh came to KU.

KansasComet 10 years, 7 months ago

Sorry fellow Jayhawk fans. We cannot have it both ways. Kansas is a basketball program that recruits 3, 4, and 5 star recruits...lots of them! Nobody wants to ride the pine, everyone wants to feel like they are contributing on the court. We are going to have players come in hoping to play right away, and that's just not the way it works here. A lot of players can come right in and start for other teams, just not at Kansas. I am just looking forward to the next season and hoping that everything works out well.

JHWK 10 years, 7 months ago

Best of luck, Royce!! So happy to have had you a part of the Kansas Family, and wish it had worked out differently.

Still, you are a smart, motivated young man and will make your family and friends here at Kansas very proud!

Always Rock Chalk!!

100 10 years, 7 months ago

Truly amazing to me how this site dominates the sunlight hours of various big 12 member's fangroups.

Even more interesting are their poster names.

1. Josh Selby was a Jayhawk for a year who went through a very difficult year.

-- showed up with a broken finger -- NCAa made him sit out 9 games. -- he quickly injured his foot to the point of it being too painful to play for a few games. Never fully recovered. -- he was a freshman who tried his best to fit in & just win for his teammates & the name on the front of the shirt. -- most defenses in college "pack the box" to some extent, making it very difficult to penetrate in a one on one fashion unless the other team is playing a rare straight up man to man. -- defenders in college are allowed to stand underneath the goal & receive a charge. This requires little effort but is legal in college. Without this rule the VCU loss never happens (think of how many cheap under the basket calls went against us, to the point of making our drivers scared to go inside). -- the NBA game is perfectly tailored for a healthy Josh Selby (which we only saw for about one game against USC). He will be not only a first round pick, but a top half of the first round pick. -- contrary to what many believe about the high school game across America, most high school courts, especially on the East coast in an old city like Baltimore, have a court that is 10 feet shorter than an NBA or college court. This may not seem like a lot. But I've always noticed for many premier players (think of the twins), it takes about a year to get fully adjusted to this difference. It may not seem like a lot, but it adds up. Even if you're only out there for a couple plays as Selby was at times, the point on the court where you look to finish is just that much farther & can subconsciously affect a player's rhythm & finishing touch that first year. For those that don't believe this (& there's a lot, I remember catching heat on this with the twins), look back at Selby's high school tape. Eyeball the courts he's dunking on. These courts were made in the 50's & 60's, before the national high school standards were fully in place like they are today. It's a money issue & high schools cannot be forced to upgrade. And this really is a big difference in a player's first year of college, with or without an injury.

1. Royce. Most KU fans who see clearly would just like to say thank you. We would have loved to see him take off in the next couple years but in the end taking off for a D2 school will benefit his life more in the immediate I would presume. And it really should benefit KU's talent pool, although we are losing a great character, hopefully we can replace that character with something at least on par with what Royce brought to Doctor James Naismith's program.

[continued below]

Josh Galler 10 years, 7 months ago

what about Joseph Uchebo he got released from his intent at NC State would Self go after him He is a big man.

theend 10 years, 7 months ago

How pathetic....almost 500 comments yesterday on Selby leaving.....almost 300 today on Woolridge. I ask again.....do you people have lives???? How sad.....wars,famine,poverty,economic crisis......and here all of you are so upset about these players leaving!!!!

How dare they offend Kansas!!!! How sad and pathetic......and funny. You people need to get a life. Seriously.....get a life!!!!

Kye Clark 10 years, 7 months ago

And yet here you are adding to the total (and your perceived sadness). Go take your pathetic act to a message board about wars, famine, poverty, or economic crisis. Or have you already been chased off of those boards after being exposed as an impotent, bed-wetting malcontent?

Since apparently you don't know, people lose themselves in sports as an escape from an often harsh world. Pick a favorite team that you actually know something about and give it a try sometime (instead of just standing on the outskirts trying to mock what you are either unwilling or too idiotic to be a part of). Maybe then you can rejoin society without such a doomsday moniker as "theend".

theend 10 years, 7 months ago

What a sad, little person. Escape?? Yeah right.....actually you're just too ignornat and selfish to care about anything but sports and your beloved KU. I bet you have blue and red pom-poms and sing rock chalk. Wake up!! This is why Obama and the rest of the marxists love sports.....they know it is a huge distraction while they destroy this country. Our freedom being stolen?? Who cares as long as KU beats Iowa State!!

Kye Clark 10 years, 7 months ago

Do I really need to point out the irony of misspelling the word "ignorant"? Hilarious! Also ironic is that you come on here and say "don't you people have lives?"...yet apparently you have time to pull yourself from your busy schedule of saving the world from Obama's socialist army to attempt to insult KU fans. In reality all that you've succeeded in doing is solidifying your reputation as a loser.

I don't expect you to respond with anything logical or coherent. To do so would fly in the face of everything I've ever read from you. You come here repeatedly. Why? If you don't care about KU basketball, what could possibly be the reason? Probably bullied by a few guys wearing KU hoodies; heckled as you work the fry-o-later at your McJob or as you walk back to your mamma's house, where you work on your conspiracy blog in the dark recesses of the basement. And most likely a Fizzou or KSUck fan to boot. The lowest of the low. The sloppy bottom on the totem pole of humanity.

theend 10 years, 7 months ago

Again.....how sad.....that you felt the need to give this long response. You must have serious issues with life. But thank you.....I love getting reactions and under people's skin.....hook/line/sinker!! Now dance, loser!!

Kye Clark 10 years, 7 months ago

And that pretty much sums up your existence...you come here because your life is so sad you try and get reactions and under people's skin. And I stress the word try, because you don't get under my skin one bit...it's good (and easy) sport pointing out your lowly existence. In addition to already pointing out the flaws in your plan to come on here and complain that other people are posting here so they must not have lives, we've covered impotence, bed-wetting, living in mamma's basement, and working the fry-o-later...all things I have pegged you as with no denials! Thanks for coming and giving everyone here a good laugh at you - the village idiot!

(Sorry if this post is too long for you as well. Feel free to lay down and have a juice or something).

theend 10 years, 7 months ago

And yet here you are again with a long response......I win!!!! This is awesome. I especially love annoying people like you....ie-that just have to get the last word. So fun. RAH-RAH KU......ROCK CHALK!!!

Kye Clark 10 years, 7 months ago

Complaining about having to read too many words again = you lose! Thank you, come again!

kureader 10 years, 7 months ago

... apparently, the one who needs to get a life is you?

theend 10 years, 7 months ago

"kureader"?? Another stupid yet appropriate name......all you read is about KU. And as the world burns around you that's all you care about.....never mind that your freedom is being stolen......never mind that America is intentionally being destroyed.......but hey that KU sure is great!!! Rah Rah!!! Rock Chalk!!!! Go KU!!!!!

Dan Harris 10 years, 7 months ago

You're the one that needs to get a life, oh wait living in mizzery, I understand now!

100 10 years, 7 months ago

[continued]

.... Lastly this is a call to all Kansas fans to protect these boards. Stand up when it is apparent that our "fake fans" are all over these stories. Place "troll below" above their posts so players like Selby, if reading, can see where Jayhaek nation is really coming from.

The hateful messages (or artistically written with a hidden shot at one of our players) are always written by people who do not support Kansas Athletics.

Let these people post. But don't let them do so without making it apparent to all readers who scan these comments (namely players) to view before they read, who is "trolling" & who is a real fan.

The Internet has done great things for us. We already knew we had the most unique tradition in all of basketball, birthed by Naismith, carried by Chamberlain & Manning, & nurtured by Phog, Larry, Roy & Self, & the Internet posting community on this site proves that emphatically.

No other fan base has much more than 5 comments on a day like today. We had 400 on an article yesterday.

But with great tradition comes great responsibility.

Don't let hate or subconscious shots at our University or players go "untagged".

Post "troll below" above (not below) each comment that attempts to undermine what Naismith brought here.

JHWK 10 years, 7 months ago

Definite troll below: theend

I'm sure his house isn't made of glass......right.....

Rock Chalk!

Al Salazar 10 years, 7 months ago

Theend he thinks out of is a moron! He actually counted the posts on the Selby thread yesterday "422 comments and counting!!! ". Theend he thinks out of is pathetic and needs to get a life! (!!!), hahahaha! (!!!)

Btw dork, if your counting this is my 1st post, and I didn't post on the Selby thread.

Doh!

theend 10 years, 7 months ago

Hi Douchebag! "Felony"? Somehow I bet that is a very appropriate name for you. I didn't think you could get internet access in prison....how nice! Loser.....I didn't count.....it actually states the number of comments......if you bothered to look you would notice that. I find you people so entertaining....the world is on fire and all you care about are athletes coming and going......how sad.

Al Salazar 10 years, 7 months ago

Someone advertising his rear end talking about prison, that's rich! And no, I'm not into looking for post counts, that's for losers...how extremely sad.

duanep5ku 10 years, 7 months ago

The end How pathetic your life must be, I mean c'mon are you that dumb to be on here talking about Kansas fans. When you trolling this site troll. I guess it only means that your pathetic and you need attention and that's why your on the Kansas site. What's wrong not enough love from mommy, If you need to get attention by being on this site, try counseling it might help.

theend 10 years, 7 months ago

So many grammar errors.....too many to address. But one I just hate...so let me educate you. "You're" means you are. "Your" denotes possesion. Please demand a refund of your tuition.

JHWK 10 years, 7 months ago

Golly, you're so superior. Can you also give me pointers on what character I should be in Warcraft? Or maybe what the best lubricant is? I have a feeling you may be experts there, too.

Does this superiority complex you have on a computer come from your lack of self-esteem in real life, or just repeated failures?

Regardless where you went to school, the glass house you live in is cute.

greenworld 10 years, 7 months ago

If your looking for PT at Ku then dont come here plain and simple, go play somewhere else or quit b-ting!!!!

theend 10 years, 7 months ago

Prediction #1: A 16-seed will beat a 1-seed someday.

Prediction #2: No idea who the 16 will be......but I guarantee the 1 seed will be Kansas. No other top team in the nation chokes like Kansas in the tournement.

Of course......Kansas could make changes to it's program so that they could actually compete in the tournement instead of choking.....but doubt that will happen.

duanep5ku 10 years, 7 months ago

theend did you get a new computer to play with and you decided to talk smack about Kansas. Try looking up some facts about Kansas BB before you speak on here, so you don't look so stupid. The final 4,s,The 2nd most wins in basketball and closing in on UK for all time wins and I guess you must have short term memory because 2008 National Champs was only 3 years ago. Oh, dummy KU has the most NCAA tournament wins in the last decade then any other program, so you might want to choke on that fact. So keep trying to look like a idiot on here.

smcpmarine 10 years, 7 months ago

Prediction #3...when you talk smack...learn how to spell. Its "Tournament".....pathetic.

Dan Harris 10 years, 7 months ago

Well we know it won't be your team(Mizzu) because their never good enough to be a number 1! Go crawl back under your rock your starting to stink!

smcpmarine 10 years, 7 months ago

Good luck Royce....thank you for being a great Student/Athlete...You will be missed.

kclaw 10 years, 7 months ago

Here's how I see the difference. By Selby declaring for the NBA, he's implying that he is too good to stay at KU, despite his failure to demonstrate or prove it during the course of the season. Royce, on the other hand, by transferring for more playing time, is implying that he is NOT good enough to get productive minutes as a Jayhawk. Although both are seeking greener pastures, the underlying message of their respective departures is what bothers me as a KU fan. I can tolerate someone thinking they may not be good enough for regular minutes in the program. What I can't tolerate is someone thinking they're too good for KU when they've done little/nothing to back it up. Regardless, I wish them both the best. Rock Chalk!!

Ludwig Supraphonic 10 years, 7 months ago

I love KU sports. Two weeks after the season and here I am looking for info on our recruits in BB and checking out Spring practice for football. I was disappointed with losing Gill's debut and with the blow-outs that followed. In retrospect, my expectations were not reality based. We have a checkered football Hx. Occasional high points, with mediocrity being the mean.
I began graduate school during the end of the Owens era. A few good players, half-filled AFH. Brown made us competitive immediately. Tournament exits were against ACC teams. Perhaps, losses to Wake Forrest, rather than Mid-majors, related to our lower seeding. Then, the miracle, after Billy Tubbs had owned us.
Brown was a nomad and Roy couldn't win the big one. Though since Brown there is an expectation that success requires completing the tournament. Not the Big **, the NC. I've been crushed by the Arizona, Syracuse, Bucknell, Bradley, UNI, VCU and all the losses that ended our season.
I have high hopes for KU teams. This year our football program was below my hopes, though not below realistic expectations. Basketball success was wildly beyond the most optimistic predictions; yet still didn't exceed my hopes.
Since the Owens era ended we have always been relevant. This year we were only an underdog preseason. Somehow, exceeding expectations, has become the expectation. What a great place to be.
UConn had talent, confidence, luck and good game plans. One shift in the Arizona or Kentucky game and the "peaked too soon"or "should have lost in the Big East tournament and saved energy" rhetoric would have flowed. Now they're the blueprint and Calhoun is a genius.
I enjoy the perspective and critique offered here and, of course, criticism is healthy. I even enjoy the trolls and curmudgeons.

duanep5ku 10 years, 7 months ago

Hornhawk A nice post on here today from you. I still flinch when you mentioned those painful NCAA tournament loses too. I know that most of the Kansas fans posting on this site also remember those games as well as you do. I will say one thing about all those tough loses when you make the tournament every year since 1990 and your almost always the higher seeded team unfortunately it's going to happen that you get upset I guess probably the last time KU was in the NCAA tournament as a really low seed would have to be if my memory is correct was 1988 National Championship team. The great KU vs OU Championship game, which we won thank fully. Yes, It's tough in some ways being a Kansas fan sometime because were a little spoiled with the success of the program over the last 20 plus years but I would not want to change a thing because it's been a great ride for a long time.

PS, Royce good luck to you and I'm sorry to see you go.

Dale Kroening 10 years, 7 months ago

Hey theend if your going to come here and talk trash, and try to correct peoples grammar, atleast learn how to spell BEEYOTCH................er I mean troll. What an idiot.

REHawk 10 years, 7 months ago

This Royce article has stirred a plethora of positive well wishes to a very deserving Jayhawk. This kid was dreaming crimson and blue as a child. Posters have done a dandy job in thanking him for his commitment and efforts. Royce, once again I wish you the very best at your new setting, and will cheer for you against every opponent not spelled KANSAS. Please remember us fondly; and someday consider sending your offspring to this great institution. Your name will always remain on record in the 2010-11 Jayhawk sportslogs.

Rob Wempe 10 years, 7 months ago

Good luck Royce! You are an awesome player. I saw you play many times in high school. You are a high major player. I am a Jayhawk fan first and foremost but since I live in Phoenix I have become a Sun Devil fan also. I'm sure Coach Sendek would love to have you! Once a Jayhawk, Always a Jayhawk!

JayhawkMafiaFamily 10 years, 7 months ago

Best of luck Royce! Not to change the subject but its worth mentioning that Garden City KS native Victor Ortiz just won the WBC welterweight championship while proudly sporting the Kansas Jayhawk on his trunks. Here is a link to the story:

It is an awesome story of a kid overcoming huge obstacles to eventually becoming a world champion. Jayhawk nation should be proud.

RCJH!!!

Viggo3003 10 years, 7 months ago

Awesome fight, just watched and yes he has a great story and finally I have a reason to follow boxing again. It was awesome seeing the Jayhawk on his warmups and his trunks.

jaybate 10 years, 7 months ago

There are just two roles to play for Self: impact or glue.

Royce is staring down impactors TT, EJ, Travis, and Ben Mac.

And Self is probably adding DD and Lacey.

And Self seems to add at least one impact player per year.

So: Royce had little hope to impact...ever.

Royce seemed a natural to play glue...and this season.

So: Royce must not have wanted to play glue, or Self doubted he could shoot 40%plus from Trey--increasingly a litmus test for glue.

Bye-bye Royce.