Originally published April 15, 2011 at 02:16p.m., updated April 16, 2011 at 12:00a.m.

Royce Woolridge to transfer from KU

KU guard: 'I love Kansas, but I just really want to play ... '

Kansas guard Royce Woolridge pushes the ball up court past Washburn's Jeff Reid in the second half of the exhibition game, Tuesday, Nov. 2, 2010 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Royce Woolridge, who committed to Kansas University’s basketball program back as a sophomore in high school, on Friday announced plans to transfer at the end of his freshman year.

“I love Kansas, but I just really want to play more,” said Woolridge, a 6-foot-3, 182-pound guard out of Phoenix Sunnyslope High. “I feel like I will have more of an opportunity to play if I went somewhere else.

“I mean it’s sad that it happened like this. I committed so early. Playing at Kansas was my dream. I’m happy I had a year living out my dream. I have no regrets. You can never have regrets. It was a great year. It’s a great place to be, but it’s important to me get more of an opportunity to play.”

Woolridge — he scored nine points all season while playing 44 minutes in 16 games — said he had no specific school in mind.

“It would be nice to be closer to home, to my mom, but I really have no idea,” said Woolridge, who informed coach Bill Self of his decision on Thursday.

Self explained the transfer decision-making process on Friday.

“When Royce and I met after the season, we talked openly and honestly of the potential role he would have for our team moving forward,” Self said. “After the meeting, he wanted to visit with his family. He then came back to me yesterday and said he wanted his release and was seeking to transfer.

“Royce works hard and is deserving of an opportunity to play more,” Self added. “Although his play was limited this season, he did have an impact on our team. We wish him nothing but the best and we know he will do well wherever he attends. He is a good teammate and a great student.”

Woolridge had a 3.6 grade point average first semester.

“The KU coaches have taught me so much. Coach Self is an amazing coach. All the assistant coaches have taught me a ton this year,” Woolridge said. “I’ve learned more about basketball that I had no idea about. I look at basketball from a whole different perspective because of the coaches. I really understand it more.

“I want to thank all of my teammates,” Woolridge added. “They are family. I want to thank the fans. They have been amazing. I didn’t even play and they still showed me a lot of love and accepted me as part of the KU family and I appreciate that. I want to thank the wives of the coaches for helping me. My mom was back in Phoenix and they helped me from that standpoint.

“Kansas made me better, no doubt. I am so much better and this place helped me become more of a man and I appreciate everything it has done for me.”

Woolridge’s mom, Victoria, says there are no hard feelings.

“This is amicable. There’s not a bad reason for this,” Victoria said. “Royce came at a time there were a lot of seniors in front of him. He wants to play now. He and coach Self came to an understanding. We have some options (of other schools) that we will look at because Royce really wants to play.

“I want to stress there’s no better fans than (at) Kansas. You have the greatest fans in America. They stood behind Royce after he signed and after he got there. We have nothing against Kansas. We will miss everyone tremendously.”

Woolridge said no matter where he lands he’ll always consider himself a KU fan.

“Of course,” he said. “My brothers are here. I love KU.”

The Jayhawks, who lost three seniors as well as the Morris twins and Josh Selby off a 35-3 team, now have six returning scholarship players (counting Conner Teahan, who received a scholarship last season after arriving as a walk-on) to go with signees Braeden Anderson, Ben McLemore and Naadir Tharpe.

Thus, KU has four additional scholarships still to give during the spring signing period, which lasts until May 18. Self has said he would like to sign at least one more perimeter player and one more frontcourt player.

Players still on KU’s wish list include DeAndre Daniels, 6-8, 180, from IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla.; Jamari Traylor, 6-7, 210, also from IMG; and Trevor Lacey, 6-3, 190, from Butler High in Huntsville, Ala. Daniels is visiting Duke this weekend.

Comments

jaybate 3 years ago

There are just two roles to play for Self: impact or glue.

Royce is staring down impactors TT, EJ, Travis, and Ben Mac.

And Self is probably adding DD and Lacey.

And Self seems to add at least one impact player per year.

So: Royce had little hope to impact...ever.

Royce seemed a natural to play glue...and this season.

So: Royce must not have wanted to play glue, or Self doubted he could shoot 40%plus from Trey--increasingly a litmus test for glue.

Bye-bye Royce.

JayhawkMafiaFamily 3 years ago

Best of luck Royce! Not to change the subject but its worth mentioning that Garden City KS native Victor Ortiz just won the WBC welterweight championship while proudly sporting the Kansas Jayhawk on his trunks. Here is a link to the story:

It is an awesome story of a kid overcoming huge obstacles to eventually becoming a world champion. Jayhawk nation should be proud.

RCJH!!!

Rob Wempe 3 years ago

Good luck Royce! You are an awesome player. I saw you play many times in high school. You are a high major player. I am a Jayhawk fan first and foremost but since I live in Phoenix I have become a Sun Devil fan also. I'm sure Coach Sendek would love to have you! Once a Jayhawk, Always a Jayhawk!

REHawk 3 years ago

This Royce article has stirred a plethora of positive well wishes to a very deserving Jayhawk. This kid was dreaming crimson and blue as a child. Posters have done a dandy job in thanking him for his commitment and efforts. Royce, once again I wish you the very best at your new setting, and will cheer for you against every opponent not spelled KANSAS. Please remember us fondly; and someday consider sending your offspring to this great institution. Your name will always remain on record in the 2010-11 Jayhawk sportslogs.

AsadZ 3 years ago

theend is an Anthler. Ignore him.

kirkhinrichflow 3 years ago

shoulda sat back and enjoyed the ride Royce

Dale Kroening 3 years ago

Hey theend if your going to come here and talk trash, and try to correct peoples grammar, atleast learn how to spell BEEYOTCH................er I mean troll. What an idiot.

duanep5ku 3 years ago

Hornhawk A nice post on here today from you. I still flinch when you mentioned those painful NCAA tournament loses too. I know that most of the Kansas fans posting on this site also remember those games as well as you do. I will say one thing about all those tough loses when you make the tournament every year since 1990 and your almost always the higher seeded team unfortunately it's going to happen that you get upset I guess probably the last time KU was in the NCAA tournament as a really low seed would have to be if my memory is correct was 1988 National Championship team. The great KU vs OU Championship game, which we won thank fully. Yes, It's tough in some ways being a Kansas fan sometime because were a little spoiled with the success of the program over the last 20 plus years but I would not want to change a thing because it's been a great ride for a long time.

PS, Royce good luck to you and I'm sorry to see you go.

Ludwig Supraphonic 3 years ago

I love KU sports. Two weeks after the season and here I am looking for info on our recruits in BB and checking out Spring practice for football. I was disappointed with losing Gill's debut and with the blow-outs that followed. In retrospect, my expectations were not reality based. We have a checkered football Hx. Occasional high points, with mediocrity being the mean.
I began graduate school during the end of the Owens era. A few good players, half-filled AFH. Brown made us competitive immediately. Tournament exits were against ACC teams. Perhaps, losses to Wake Forrest, rather than Mid-majors, related to our lower seeding. Then, the miracle, after Billy Tubbs had owned us.
Brown was a nomad and Roy couldn't win the big one. Though since Brown there is an expectation that success requires completing the tournament. Not the Big **, the NC. I've been crushed by the Arizona, Syracuse, Bucknell, Bradley, UNI, VCU and all the losses that ended our season.
I have high hopes for KU teams. This year our football program was below my hopes, though not below realistic expectations. Basketball success was wildly beyond the most optimistic predictions; yet still didn't exceed my hopes.
Since the Owens era ended we have always been relevant. This year we were only an underdog preseason. Somehow, exceeding expectations, has become the expectation. What a great place to be.
UConn had talent, confidence, luck and good game plans. One shift in the Arizona or Kentucky game and the "peaked too soon"or "should have lost in the Big East tournament and saved energy" rhetoric would have flowed. Now they're the blueprint and Calhoun is a genius.
I enjoy the perspective and critique offered here and, of course, criticism is healthy. I even enjoy the trolls and curmudgeons.

kclaw 3 years ago

Here's how I see the difference. By Selby declaring for the NBA, he's implying that he is too good to stay at KU, despite his failure to demonstrate or prove it during the course of the season. Royce, on the other hand, by transferring for more playing time, is implying that he is NOT good enough to get productive minutes as a Jayhawk. Although both are seeking greener pastures, the underlying message of their respective departures is what bothers me as a KU fan. I can tolerate someone thinking they may not be good enough for regular minutes in the program. What I can't tolerate is someone thinking they're too good for KU when they've done little/nothing to back it up. Regardless, I wish them both the best. Rock Chalk!!

smcpmarine 3 years ago

Good luck Royce....thank you for being a great Student/Athlete...You will be missed.

theend 3 years ago

Prediction #1: A 16-seed will beat a 1-seed someday.

Prediction #2: No idea who the 16 will be......but I guarantee the 1 seed will be Kansas. No other top team in the nation chokes like Kansas in the tournement.

Of course......Kansas could make changes to it's program so that they could actually compete in the tournement instead of choking.....but doubt that will happen.

greenworld 3 years ago

If your looking for PT at Ku then dont come here plain and simple, go play somewhere else or quit b-ting!!!!

FELONY 3 years ago

Theend he thinks out of is a moron! He actually counted the posts on the Selby thread yesterday "422 comments and counting!!! ". Theend he thinks out of is pathetic and needs to get a life! (!!!), hahahaha! (!!!)

Btw dork, if your counting this is my 1st post, and I didn't post on the Selby thread.

Doh!

jayhawkinnebr 3 years ago

Royce and Selby could see the writing on the wall with the way Self coached this years team. They both didn't want to be with a loser like Self. Self is a poor coach with the way he put this years team together with 6-pack Brady, who shouldn't have played at all. What a plain loser. Good luck Royce, go to a school and coach who knows how to coach talent. Self is a plain loser of a coach, poor recruiting of players and putting a team together with a 5th year senior who couldn't help the team, but only hurt it. Next year KU will be at the bottom of the big 12.

theend 3 years ago

How pathetic....almost 500 comments yesterday on Selby leaving.....almost 300 today on Woolridge. I ask again.....do you people have lives???? How sad.....wars,famine,poverty,economic crisis......and here all of you are so upset about these players leaving!!!!

How dare they offend Kansas!!!! How sad and pathetic......and funny. You people need to get a life. Seriously.....get a life!!!!

100 3 years ago

[continued]

.... Lastly this is a call to all Kansas fans to protect these boards. Stand up when it is apparent that our "fake fans" are all over these stories. Place "troll below" above their posts so players like Selby, if reading, can see where Jayhaek nation is really coming from.

The hateful messages (or artistically written with a hidden shot at one of our players) are always written by people who do not support Kansas Athletics.

Let these people post. But don't let them do so without making it apparent to all readers who scan these comments (namely players) to view before they read, who is "trolling" & who is a real fan.

The Internet has done great things for us. We already knew we had the most unique tradition in all of basketball, birthed by Naismith, carried by Chamberlain & Manning, & nurtured by Phog, Larry, Roy & Self, & the Internet posting community on this site proves that emphatically.

No other fan base has much more than 5 comments on a day like today. We had 400 on an article yesterday.

But with great tradition comes great responsibility.

Don't let hate or subconscious shots at our University or players go "untagged".

Post "troll below" above (not below) each comment that attempts to undermine what Naismith brought here.

Josh Galler 3 years ago

what about Joseph Uchebo he got released from his intent at NC State would Self go after him He is a big man.

100 3 years ago

Truly amazing to me how this site dominates the sunlight hours of various big 12 member's fangroups.

Even more interesting are their poster names.

1. Josh Selby was a Jayhawk for a year who went through a very difficult year.

-- showed up with a broken finger -- NCAa made him sit out 9 games. -- he quickly injured his foot to the point of it being too painful to play for a few games. Never fully recovered. -- he was a freshman who tried his best to fit in & just win for his teammates & the name on the front of the shirt. -- most defenses in college "pack the box" to some extent, making it very difficult to penetrate in a one on one fashion unless the other team is playing a rare straight up man to man. -- defenders in college are allowed to stand underneath the goal & receive a charge. This requires little effort but is legal in college. Without this rule the VCU loss never happens (think of how many cheap under the basket calls went against us, to the point of making our drivers scared to go inside). -- the NBA game is perfectly tailored for a healthy Josh Selby (which we only saw for about one game against USC). He will be not only a first round pick, but a top half of the first round pick. -- contrary to what many believe about the high school game across America, most high school courts, especially on the East coast in an old city like Baltimore, have a court that is 10 feet shorter than an NBA or college court. This may not seem like a lot. But I've always noticed for many premier players (think of the twins), it takes about a year to get fully adjusted to this difference. It may not seem like a lot, but it adds up. Even if you're only out there for a couple plays as Selby was at times, the point on the court where you look to finish is just that much farther & can subconsciously affect a player's rhythm & finishing touch that first year. For those that don't believe this (& there's a lot, I remember catching heat on this with the twins), look back at Selby's high school tape. Eyeball the courts he's dunking on. These courts were made in the 50's & 60's, before the national high school standards were fully in place like they are today. It's a money issue & high schools cannot be forced to upgrade. And this really is a big difference in a player's first year of college, with or without an injury.

1. Royce. Most KU fans who see clearly would just like to say thank you. We would have loved to see him take off in the next couple years but in the end taking off for a D2 school will benefit his life more in the immediate I would presume. And it really should benefit KU's talent pool, although we are losing a great character, hopefully we can replace that character with something at least on par with what Royce brought to Doctor James Naismith's program.

[continued below]

JHWK 3 years ago

Best of luck, Royce!! So happy to have had you a part of the Kansas Family, and wish it had worked out differently.

Still, you are a smart, motivated young man and will make your family and friends here at Kansas very proud!

Always Rock Chalk!!

KansasComet 3 years ago

Sorry fellow Jayhawk fans. We cannot have it both ways. Kansas is a basketball program that recruits 3, 4, and 5 star recruits...lots of them! Nobody wants to ride the pine, everyone wants to feel like they are contributing on the court. We are going to have players come in hoping to play right away, and that's just not the way it works here. A lot of players can come right in and start for other teams, just not at Kansas. I am just looking forward to the next season and hoping that everything works out well.

63Jayhawk 3 years ago

Best of luck to you, Royce. I hope you do well where ever you decide to play. Thanks for coming to KU.

For all of you who discount Josh Selby. Selby WILL find a place in the NBA and he WILL do well. I'm sorry it didn't work out for him at KU the way we all (including Josh) wanted it to work out, but we all knew when he came to KU that he would most likely leave at the end of the year. He fulfilled his commitment to KU to the best of his ability under the circumstances. He's moved on and we fans should do likewise! I am very glad that Josh came to KU.

greenworld 3 years ago

There's always one player every year that either doesnt get playing time or doesnt fit in. In his case I believe all the matter is was playing time. I remember these names from the past that where suppose to be's that came here and transferred. Jon Krider transferred to Washburn but never was as good as advestised. Padgett transferred to Louisville but had decent game but wanted to go to more faster team that passed the ball more down low I think. Micah Downs was Mcdonalds All american and transferred to Gonazaga. Never had much game here but did go there and fit in rather nice I think. And Alex Galindo transferred to Florida International with I believe and better setup for him with people he knew that lived in Fl and also more playing time. Never really was a huge threat at Ku from what I watched. Omarr Wilks left to go play at Cal. Not a bad player. All these guys have one thing in common with the ability to go somewhere else and play more with some not really fitting in the loop at KU so making it happen somewhere else. Im surprized Releford hasnt transferred yet??? He deserves better.

master16 3 years ago

best of luck to royce, he's a great player that could play or even start for many programs in america, but Kansas is just too loaded with talented players.

and in response to people asking about why people bash josh for leaving and not royce, because one is making a terrible mistake and one is advancing his college basketball career. selby is not an nba ready player yet, and imo will be lucky to be drafted within the first 25 picks. he has the potential to be a star anywhere, i'm pretty sure he would start if he came back for a 2nd year. as for royce, it's possible that he would probably be a role player his entire 4 years at KU, and never get a lot of playing time. if he transfers, he has the opportunity to start and advance his bball career.

also, just the way both characters handled the situation of them leaving. twitter, really? selby is leaving because he wants to, and IMO i just felt he was never that happy being in college bball, and showed it, again my opinion, in the last couple of games. royce, is making a move because he feels like he has no better option.

yates33333 3 years ago

Good Luck Royce. I wish you nothing but the best, and that you lead your next team to victories over every opponent except K.U. Please exclude Missouri and K-State from your list because I hope they lose every game they play in the Big 12, now 10.

Robert Brock 3 years ago

I watched the New England Playaz - with Kaleb Tarczewski - last night (and I will watch them play a couple of times today) and they lack a point guard. That is because the PG is in Lawrence, Kansas. Yep...Tharpe. He is a good one and under-rated IMO.

jaybate 3 years ago

"Why Royce Left"

~Royce wants a role Self probably doubts he can play at KU, so Royce is going elsewhere to be closer to home, closer to where he wants to live and eventually work, closer to mom and with a shot at being a starting impact player playing 30 mpg. Think Omar Wilkes here, another son of an affluent ex pro athlete that left early, because his family had FU money. Good for both of them. FU money is a good thing. If I were a good king, like, say, The controlling owners of the Federal Reserve, I would grant all my friends, and all their children, FU money, as The Fed's controlling owners have in fact done for their friends and friends' children.

Keith Wilkes and Orlando Woolridge, like Danny Manning, know how good good really is. They know how much easier on one's body and one's home life making a living after the game is than making a living in the game is. Their wives, the mothers of these players, know, too. They know that unless you have a sky high ceiling, the game is just a game. Carl Henry knows it, too; that's why CJ wound up at Southern Nazarene...to have some fun playing the game again, rather than trying to make it to the next level.

Royce Woolridge is going to be a good player for some school, but not KU. KU just has too many good players coming in each year, especially too many good impact players to be what he wants to be at KU.

UA and ASU could use Royce, so could Stanford. Good luck, Royce.

redlegger 3 years ago

Wish you all the best Royce!

KU and KU Fans will miss you!

I am sure that you will continue to make an impact wherever you go!

Keep up the good work with school (3.6 GPA first semester is very impressive)!

Always a Jayhawk!

hawksfan08 3 years ago

Royce had the ability to be an impact player as a senior but there were simply too many guards ahead of him on the depth chart and that was only going to get worse. I personally respect his decision to transfer. I'm not sure this really changes anything as far as lacey or daniels, mainly because it didn't free up any minutes that weren't there already. We're going to be thin next year on the inside, and I will be curious to see if Self is willing to adapt to that. The last two years I don't feel like he's been willing to adapt to his players, instead trying to force his players into his system. While that worked flawlessly for the twins, it obivously had a negative effect on damn near everyone else. In short, I see this as the first "down year" of the Self era (3rd or 4th in the big 12, make the tourney easily, which other schools would kill for). It won't last long though as the 2011 class and 2012 class will both end up being better than expected

kentuckyjayhawk 3 years ago

ROYCE GOOD LUCK WISH YOU WOULD HAVE STAYED. BILL AND DANNY AND THE BOYS I BELIVE YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING. ROCK CHALK.

Jhawk2515 3 years ago

Sucks to see this, had potential. Good Luck Royce.

Martin Rosenblum 3 years ago

Random Question/Off Topic

Anybody know what kind of year CJ Henry had with his new team? Surely, he was MVP or something in that league after having worn the Crimson and Blue for a year.

FLJHK 3 years ago

This one truly saddens me. This is a kid that wanted to be a Jayhawk for like forever. For not coming from this general area, that is a rarity. And his comments upon leaving certainly indicate that the kid just reeks of class.

I admit that I became a bit skeptical as his draft rating kept falling during his senior year of high school, but thought it was due at least in part to an early committal bias. And this season, even though the cupboard was very full, I thought he would get more minutes than he did. I felt sure that eventually, as he stuck around the system, he would become a key player and a glue guy as an upper classman.

I have to believe that as HEM and others have indicated, Self was probably brutally honest and told him that significant playing time was likely to remain permanently elusive. If so, it’s certainly in the best interests of both sides to separate, but it’s still sad.

I only wish him the very best in the future and will always be happy that he will forever be a part of the Jayhawk family. Good luck Royce!

Steve Gantz 3 years ago

I think I have some eligibility left.

jayhawkarmy 3 years ago

This really makes me nervous. I hope that Bill is reloading very well to compete for the title and defend our big 12 crown....any thoughts?

Jack Wilson 3 years ago

Players transferring .. that aren't big time guys .. is good news. It is positive.

It's like taking a laxative. Cleans out the system.

Royce would have been a guy that could play by his junior or senior season, but was a likely redshirt this coming season anyway. Smart move to transfer. Good for Royce. Good for KU. I think a bit of Mario Little. If he goes to a lesser program, like say, Texas Tech, he might have started for two seasons. It's a choice. Teahan same way -- if he had chosen a Wichita St.

Self was likely painfully honest with Royce, as he should be. And he probably advised Royce on the guys we would be recruiting. And Self probably has a clue on how he thinks Royce will develop, based on experience. I bet he shared this with Royce. All this equals a transfer. Good for Royce, good for KU.

Now, what do we do with it?

Slim chance we get both Daniels and Lacey; Maybe we get one. If we get one, this class is not a grand slam. It's a triple (on paper) with home run potential. But pretty darn good. If we don't get one, it's a double, but a disappointing double based on the rest of the game (multiple strikeouts).

Quite possibly Self is really looking to the 2012 recruiting class as the big one. With the twins deflecting the top guys away, not wanting to come and sit on the bench, it put Self behind the 8-ball. Lots of scholarships available .. a Chalmers, Rush, Wright, and Downs type class is possible in 2012, with TRob likely going pro after next season. Self's best ever. We have Peters. Add three top 50 players, plus a targeted lower guy, and we could be in store for the next era of KU basketball. And hopefully Self is looking to build an era, not focusing too much on the top 15, one and done possibilities.

We may be in an interim period here if we don't get Lacey or Daniels. But if we get Lacey or Daniels, and Self has that big class in 2012, that's our next era of KU basketball. Getting top big guys will be a key to our 2012 class.

Dale Kroening 3 years ago

Really hate to see you go Royce, good luck wherever you land. Was looking forward to seeing you get some playing time this coming season, but Im guessing it wasnt in HCBS's plans. Rather puzzling and disappointing at the same time. Would also like to say the kind words Royce and his mother had for all KU Nation was very classy , as Royce has also been his entire time at KU. Now it makes me wonder does that mean Lacey to KU ? Somethings got to be brewing imo.

IrishDaddy 3 years ago

royce should have had more playing time................,

massjhawk 3 years ago

Classy way for Royce and family to handle this situation. Can't blame a player who loves the game for wanting to play. Rock Chalk, Royce -we'll be cheering for you.

massjhawk 3 years ago

SDSurferFan 3 years ago

Please check out SDSU Royce. Great city, coming off best year, chicks, and I think you'll see some PT. 4 starters gone (1-2 NBAers).

I'm going to miss 10-11 season. SDSU rebuilds, KU reloads....I'd say there is a bit of rebuilding with KU, but I'd kill for KUs reserves for next year at SDSU.

Three weeks until we are coming back to Lawrence for family reunion. Look fwd to showing my daughter where the JayHawks play.

Mark Lindrud 3 years ago

If he is looking to play next year and go back to Arizona then it has to be NAU. He doesn't have to sit out a year. Guess it depends on what he wants. If he did go to Arizona they will be loaded at guards so ASU would be the best choice for him.

I was excited to see him this year, but he wants more PT than he feels he will get next year. Hope it turns out for him well. I will keep an eye on him and hope for the best. Rock Chalk!

Phogz 3 years ago

Good luck wherever you end up!

BewareOfThePhogOnTheWater 3 years ago

WOW, what a classy kid. We will definitely miss you in AFH, Royce. Your wonderful smile, wit and comment on Star Trek will be remembered for a long time. All of the Jayhawk Family wishes you the best. You may be leaving (and we do understand your reasoning on why), but you will always be a Jayhawk. Good luck!! JFL

Ralster Jayhawk 3 years ago

Nice comments by Royce. I thought he would be a Jayhawk start-to-finish, especially since committing so early. But he and Self must have talked, and he was given the likely scenario for next season. Got to be some unknown-to-us factor there. We just dont have enough information---which invites speculation: Daniels is a 3, which means McLemore is a 2 (which is where he is rated: #4 SG, 17th overall). Releford starts at wing, Daniels his backup for 15-20mpg (if no Daniels, you get Connor). EJ at the 2 with McLemore 15-20mpg. TT at lead-combo with his 10-15mpg backup being Tharpe. Odd-man out is Connor, but he could be an emergency 2/3 player...

Bigs: TRob+Withey(its time...), Wesley and Anderson as backups. The year we play-the-talent early, just like 09 when Twins+TT played alot...because they had to.
Thats your rotation if we get Daniels or not.

(All above pure, idle, speculation...sorely needing further data...Self is up to something.)

Jeremy Bolinger 3 years ago

oh well. I'm sure we can recruit better guards.

addlime 3 years ago

Damn this sucks! I really liked what I saw of Royce. At times I wondered if he would have done a better job than Selby this season. I really thought he'd be in the rotation next season, especially when somebody inevitably has an injury. I think all of you posters that talk about his low recruiting ranking are idiots. Selby was top 5, did he look top 5? Marcus was in the 40's I think. That crap doesn't matter. Royce looked like he was the type that could develop into a nice player. This Sucks!!!!

KGphoto 3 years ago

So where is he gonna go?

If I were Arizona St. I'd be taking a real hard look. They were terrible last year, and they are losing their two best guards to graduation. I bet Royce could help turn their frown upside down pretty quickly. Plus he'd get to go home, and play in a major D1 conference.

I'm actually a little anxious to see where he decides.

jayhawkliz 3 years ago

I have a feeling he will go to a division2 school if he wants to play otherwise he will have to sit out a year! So if he really wants to play where is he going to go? Anyway, Good Luck Royce! and all the best!

4jhawks4ku 3 years ago

Enjoyed reading his statements. This is an honest kid. Good luck Royce, thanks for all your hard work, time,and effort. I hope you land somewhere where you can contribute in a big way.

JHAWKNPHX 3 years ago

Sad to hear Royce and good luck!! Once a JHAWK always a JHAWK

I saw this kid play in Phoenix and he was always proud to be playing for us.

I do agree with previous post... Something has to be up with players coming in next year. Lets not kid ourselves, we need some quality players and HCBS knows it.

RCJHK!!!

vd 3 years ago

Teehan is probably ahead of him on the depth chart.

stevej 3 years ago

big difference between royce and selby. The way Royce hadled this is the right way. cant fault either for making the decision. Royce was never going to be the go to guy and there are schools that he will be able to be

Michael Auchard 3 years ago

An old-blue-eyes classy exit. He's still a member of The Family, in my opinion. Wish it would have worked out.

William Blake 3 years ago

It is tough losing another Jayhawk, if for no other reason than we like Royce for being Royce....

It's Selby's fault! (joke)

I wish all these guys leaving us the best with their lives.... they are Jayhawks and deserve a permanent positive standing in Jayhawk Nation!

Joe Joseph 3 years ago

All of this, and Connor Teahen still won't get any PT.

REHawk 3 years ago

Very classy comments from Royce and his mother. Too bad a kid with this good character did not work out for Jayhawk hoops. I was a strong proponent of his opting for a freshman red shirt. However, things have a way of working out. Now I would advise him to take a look at a topnotch jr. cllg. or a Top Ten Div. 2 program if he is deadset on immediate play. Early commitments bear the burden of high risk. Royce eventually sizzled statistically in Arizona high school hoops; but his game did not fit in comfortably with current Jayhawk talent. I look to see him do well, if not superbly, if he finds the proper fit in a new setting. Nice determined kid who deserves the best.

tah 3 years ago

I was looking forward to him playing more! I wish him the best!

Bryan Fisher 3 years ago

Sorry to hear you're leaving us Royce. We'll all miss your big smile and amusing comments from the timeout videos.

"Star Trek is for lames!" - Royce Woolridge

Janet Olin 3 years ago

Best of luck to you, Royce. I'm sorry not to see you play more minutes, but you've handled it in a classy way, and I wish you great success.

Benjamin Piehler 3 years ago

good luck, Can't blame you for wanting to get out of "garbage time"

Lone_salina_kufan 3 years ago

I really think this kid has potential to be really really good. I for one, hate that he is leaving. He committed early and stuck to it. So clearly of good character, and his low rating on rivals many "experts" contributed that to committing so early, they don't watch and cover you as a prospect anymore. So he got a little lost in the shuffle.

I think this kid would've been a real contributor. Gonna miss him, and will root for him where ever he goes.

R2D2 3 years ago

Lets not forget about Christian Garrett the walk-on from IMG academy. The kid is 6' 3" and DeAndre Daniels good friend. Garrett could be a Brady like player in size and style of play. He may end up with one of the scholarships

Viggo3003 3 years ago

What is going on meow I like Royce I wish meow he would not be meow leaving.

Kye Clark 3 years ago

To those of you who feel that a big sign is imminent I have to ask...why? Yes we have open scholarships, but the departures of Selby & Royce do not equal big recruiting news on the horizon. Much of this stems from the misconception fans get when constructing a potential line-up, they list the 5 positions, who will fill them, and then list a back-up for each position. Consider in '08, we had a primary perimeter rotation of 4 players for 3 positions - RussRob, Mario, Rush, & Sherron. Roderick Stewart played when there was injuries or severe foul trouble. So 5 guys is all that's really needed for those 3 spots. Do we have those 5 now? TT, EJ, Releford, McLemore, & Tharpe. Check. And while not related to Woolridge's potential playing time, just to further illustrate, Self primarily rotates 3 guys in the post, and either has a 4th big for foul trouble or injuries or plays smaller line-ups. Do we have 3 post players? TRob, Withey, & Anderson (throw in Justin Wesley for emergencies). Check.

While I don't doubt that Self will sign a couple more players, I don't necessarily see Royce's transfer as an indication that there is some knowledge floating around out there that someone else is coming in to take his minutes. I think even if we don't sign anyone else better than Royce that he was slated for more than mop-up minutes anyway. This isn't to say that we won't sign Daniels and/or Lacey, but this transfer tells me nothing regarding their recruitment.

IrishDaddy 3 years ago

UCONN did it with 3 unheralded freshmen and one unheralded soph, and a junior who was so so last year. THATS coaching !

justinryman 3 years ago

They have said in the past and mostly in the NBA that you need 3 guys to win it all, with some good role players beside them.

Of course there is always the team that has 5 or 6 really good players ala '08.

But right now KU is sitting fine with TT, TR and EJ and getting some more freshman to fill some roles and go from there.

Sometimes you add by subtraction.

UConn won the title this year and it was mostly 2 guys and sometimes 3. Butler the past 2 years, 3 main guys. Duke had 3 or 4 last year when they won it all.

Priest Fontaine 3 years ago

Don't blame him for leaving but the kid should have red-shirted last year and then would be playing more than just mop up minutes this next year. Imagine if Royce would have stuck it out. He had potential to be a star for us in a couple more years. It's so simple, he should have just called and talked to me.

Fingers crossed for Lacey + DD combo.

Edward Coan 3 years ago

Or it might have been that he was waiting to hear if TT was going early.

HawkKlaw 3 years ago

This totally takes me by surprise! Not that I'm glad he's leaving by any means, but I think it must have to do with Bill Self being on the verge of getting some big time recruit. Think about it, Selby just said he was leaving yesterday, which opened up the door for Royce to get some minutes at the 2 spot next year. I think there's something going on behind the scenes here.

Regardless, good luck Royce!

Edward Coan 3 years ago

Don't blame him for wanting to play. This will always happen as Bill Self makes sure he has ample depth.

bradynsdad 3 years ago

Good luck Royce! Something tells me either teahan, Travis, Wesley, or Jordan are looking really good or we have two more kids getting ready to sign. Hopefully all of the above. I put my trust in trob, tyshaun, and Elijah taking us through to the promiseland next year.

panalytic 3 years ago

Good luck Royce! Sincerely sorry that you will not be around. Best wishes to obtain your desire for immediate playing time.

Stebbins 3 years ago

April 2011: OMG, the sky is falling. This kid's probably in Vegas right now, thinking he'll be drafted. No more top 100 recruits to sign. Aaaah!

March 2012: 8th Big 12 title.

Mike Bratisax 3 years ago

Royce who made zero impact gets mostly polite good-byes while Selby got trashed. I don't get it. Good luck to both.

Joe Baker 3 years ago

Selby declares and Royce transferring, Self needs to throw us a bone. It's like a freaking trade. We got to be getting someone soon.

I really think we're getting Daniels. The only good guards are TT and EJ? Tharpe isn't quite the talent of Royce. We're either getting DD or maybe Lacey, dare I say both? Maybe neither recruit at this rate. Heck, Roberts and Christian should just transfer at this point. If Royce leaves with his talent level, Chrisitan and Roberts aren't Royce type talent. Our bench is Roberts, Garrett and Wesley at this point, next?

Come on coach throw a freakin' bone here. You're killing us with this NBA and transferring crap.

Troll_or_AntiTroll 3 years ago

Ron_Kellogg (anonymous) says…

I think this guy could wind up having a Jeremy Case-like impact on the program.

Ron, wherever you have gone, when you said this about Royce back in August of '09, I didn't know if it was intended to be a compliment or an insult. While I suppose you were right in terms of their on-court contributions, I feel that Jeremy made a far greater impact on the program as a whole.

justinryman 3 years ago

For Sale: Used car

Rolls Royce. Still needs to work a few of the kinks out of it, but runs well though. Not much wear and tear. Has three years left to play. Seat is a little worn, tires are primed and ready to run. Get it now!!

Jabez Harlan 3 years ago

Good Luck Royce! He joins a group of players that transferred. Definitely not the first time a good player has left an elite program.

David Padgett, Quintrell Thomas, Tyrone Appleton, J.R. Giddens just to name a few.

This just opens a spot for another elite recruit that can hopefully help out right away!

Dyrk Dugan 3 years ago

if he wants to play right away, he must be going to Division II. so a Washburn or a Missouri Southern, or CMSU...something like that.

i mean bless his heart...and he committed to KU when he was like a sophomore in HS....so his game really went south from then until now. because when he came into games, even in the scrub roll, he was not good...or smooth.

good luck to him.....and i guess you get these guys once in awhile...but he was a top 150 player...and he really couldn't play at the big time level.

Joe Baker 3 years ago

We've got to hear some good news. This is getting a little on the depressing side. I really liked Royce and loved his bball IQ.

pizzaboy225 3 years ago

Damn. I'm going to miss this kid, always made me smile. I will never forget "Star Trek is for Lames"

Selbyville 3 years ago

I don't understand this at all, I certainly looked forward to him making a name for himself this next year and the year after. Whatever, more tick for Elijah, Naadir, and my man Ben

trenae01 3 years ago

Wow really.....YES KANSAS JAYHAWKS has then BEST fan base and team the world could ask for....Don't forget that we have Thomas "TRob" Robinson and he will be on the court he is just as good if not better :) The reason why Selby is getting grief is because of the way he went about leaving KU..... No matter JAYHAWK NATION does wish him the best of luck.....He could of went to K-State and pulled that mess off and no would care but his Mom should not put fault on KU or the NCAA for his dumb mistakes....We will fill his spot with someone that is better and we hope that person will give us more than one year and if not when they do leave they won't try to talk trash about KU we are the BEST in the NATION rather people want to believe it or not....

justinryman 3 years ago

Thomas Robinson Forward Conner Teahan Guard
Justin Wesley Forward Jeff Withey Center
Tyshawn Taylor
Royce Woolridge Guard Transfered Brady Morningstar Guard Graduated Tyrel Reed Guard Graduated Elijah Johnson Guard
Niko Roberts Guard
Markieff Morris Center Early entry to draft Marcus Morris Forward Early entry to draft Mario Little Guard Graduated Travis Releford Guard
Josh Selby Guard Early entry to draft Jordan Juenemann Guard

So now we got 9 players left from this past years team, plus 2 already committed. So at least we have enough to scrimmage, and don't have to pull a Bobby Knight and have a reality show to get a walk on.

trenae01 3 years ago

Wasn't Conner a Senior ? I can't remember:(

KU_alum_2001 3 years ago

This is starting to look like the movie "Hoosiers". We're going to have 6 1/2 guys suiting up every game at this rate... although they DID win the state title in the movie so...

Dear Class of 2012... We are now hiring. We have many entry- and managment-level positions. Please apply to Bill Self, Director of HR, University of Kansas.

gchawk 3 years ago

Best of luck to you Royce.

KGphoto 3 years ago

So what then, Selby is an Ahole and Royce is okay?

I wish luck to Royce just as I wish it to Selby. There is no difference in what they are doing. They are leaving KU for greener pastures.

Why is it that Selby is receiving so much grief for it?

Gregory Newman 3 years ago

Good move that high-low is a death trap for guards you won't develope. Butler runs a variation of it but they allow for dribble-drive penetration for mid-range jumpers. If one has never played on a high school team in the 60's and 70's you would not have a clue its a lost art.

Watch guards like Chris Paul, Duane Wade, Jason Kidd, Chauncey Billips, Kirk Hinrich, Steve Nash, Brandon Roy and Mario Chalmers. Mario got that from his Dad. Manning is doing a great job with the Bigs but those other 3 coaches-please.

Ty Mar 3 years ago

We will miss you Royce! I was excited to see you play but good luck and kick butt wherever you go!

swunruhawk 3 years ago

Now...the question is....Will walk on Niko Roberts transfer to Florida? His dad is now on the coaching staff with the Gators.

leonard 3 years ago

Selby and Woolridge? Just bush-hogging the weeds and trimming the deadwood...no big deal.

Benjamin Jones 3 years ago

Royce, your love for KU really touched the Jayhawk fan base, even before you arrived on campus, and we will miss you! Best of luck in your future endeavors.

rxjayhawk 3 years ago

Star Trek is for lames.

Good luck Royce!!

KUsmoothies 3 years ago

Best of luck to Royce. Maybe this means we are going to bring in some really good recruits?

matlockhawk 3 years ago

Too bad. He seems to be a great young man. Just bad timing, I guess. Good luck youngster.

4jhawks4ku 3 years ago

Wow, I feel new recruiting news coming up. Somethings in the wind.

RockinChalkin1984 3 years ago

Crazy, but good luck to you Royce! Wish you the best!

El Jay 3 years ago

Wow, good luck Royce, sincerely. It was nice of him to be so praising of KU even in his departure. This will probably make HCBS's job easier with regards to setting lineups and rotations. I'll say this though, he was an ESPNU100 player - if im not mistaken - and it may not reflect well on us that he never really got any playing time here. Especially when you combine that with the year Selby had, I hope recruits dont start to think that if they want to be showcased and get early playing time, Kansas is not the right place for them.

Steve Jacob 3 years ago

Don't know why guys come to KU that will not play much. How much would have Dorian Green played this year? He got 29.3 minutes per game at a good Colorado St. this year.

jayhawkinATL 3 years ago

Oh, well...we are too guard-heavy anyway. Good luck, Royce!

Clydecito 3 years ago

I'm guessing he was earmarked for red shirting this year and saw no playing time. Hopefully there may also be some recruiting news indicating his long term would not be optimum for playing time. All the best to the kid, may his dreams come true.

LAJayhawk 3 years ago

"'We have some options (of other schools) that we will look at because Royce really wants to play right now.'"

Uh, except he'll have to redshirt to not lose a year of eligibility when he sits out.... how is this playing "right now"?

Clearly, Self must have told him that he is fighting an uphill battle for playing time. Coach probably insinuated to him that from what he's seen Royce will be a bench guy if he stays at KU. He's obviously behind Taylor and EJ, B-Mac probably takes a chunk of minutes that could go to him, same for Travis. Naadir must also be looking at seeing the floor early, or at least Royce doesn't want to battle him out for it.

If he redshirted next year, he would more than likely get some time in '12-'13 with TT gone, but he probably feels like Self will pick up another big name guard in that time, so it's uphill the whole way. He probably wants to head to a less competitive school and be assured time on the court in '12-'13 (again, though, not right away, as that won't be possible).

rcjh88 3 years ago

We will miss you Royce! Good luck wherever you go!

justinryman 3 years ago

Royce we wish you luck where ever you go.

It won't be in conference cause then he sits a year and it goes against his eligibility.

Depends on the size of school he transfers to about missing year or not. I believe that any Div. 1 school he will have to sit, but if he goes Div. 2 then he can play right away or even go the Jr. College route play a year there and transfer to a D1 school.

Just hope people don't hate on him like they are Josh for going to the NBA, but then again there will always be haters.

Once a Jayhawk, always a Jayhawk. J.F.L.

Matt Kenton 3 years ago

Tyshawn will be a senior. He's got Elijah ahead of him too, and yes probably Naadir Tharpe and definitely Ben McLemore.

jayrat 3 years ago

Crazy. The way things are going, the team is going to comprise of a dozen freshmen/juco transfers and TRobb/Tyshawn. Next year is going to be interesting.

So... Royce used up a year of eligibility on a stacked team, then transfers to another school when half of KU underclassmen jump to the NBA... so he can sit out a year to play because he wants to play right away.

Okay then. Translating this into English -- he was probably not going to get off the bench much at KU.

Good luck to you Royce. Maybe you should have red-shirted last season. Or did he, I don't remember if I saw him play.

dnvrhawk 3 years ago

I hate to see him go, and can't help but think that he would have been in the rotation next year. Wish Royce could have red-shirted last season instead of burning a years' eligibililty with only mop-up minutes to show for it.

candyapplered 3 years ago

It's actually good to weed out the guys who think they would be better off somewhere else. This means he wasn't fit to wear the Jayhawk uniform. He might fit in well at Louisiana State Tech, or at South Dakota A&M, or even the new Nebraska. Good luck, chuck.

Kye Clark 3 years ago

Not really surprising, but disappointing. A kid that knew all along he wanted to be a Jayhawk and declared early (a little fuzzy on whether it was as a Junior or Sophomore). I was always skeptical of his chances to see the court much due to his recruiting ranking, but had hoped that maybe after a few years he could have progressed enough to have a contributory role on the team. Brady Morningstar and Tyrel Reed played sparingly their first seasons, and Brady red-shirted as a sophomore to improve his chances at seeing playing time down the road. I wished he would have redshirted this past season. If he wants a better shot at some guaranteed playing time down the road I wish him the best.

Hank Cross 3 years ago

Good luck Royce. I suspect his continued drop down the depth chart made this a smart decision.

knottshawk 3 years ago

Well that sucks... hope all goes well for you Royce.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years ago

can't blame him. there are those who are happy with sitting on the bench and being a small fish in a big pond and those that want to be a big fish in a small pond. royce, go have fun playing a game you love while getting a degree. hopefully in something you love just as much!

as the kid's from jersey shore would say "do you"

ferdthemooncat 3 years ago

Best of luck, Royce, you committed early. But, we're still open for business here in Larry-land; shooters welcome.

LIHawk 3 years ago

Won't he have to sit out a year before he can play again if he transfers? Whatever the case, good luck to you Royce!

Bryan Anderson 3 years ago

Umm... the seniors are gone. He's one of the first options off the bench next year. Something's fishy about this.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years ago

this means that naadir tharpe must be really good