Originally published April 13, 2011 at 06:38p.m., updated April 14, 2011 at 01:49a.m.

Bill Self comments on signees Ben McLemore, Braeden Anderson

Kansas head coach coach Bill Self visits with reporters after a press conference Tuesday, March 29, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse. Self was asked about this year's tournament, his players and thoughts on next year's roster.

Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self on Wednesday announced that shooting guard Ben McLemore and power forward Braeden Anderson have signed scholarship agreements to play hoops at KU.

McLemore, 6-foot-5, 185 pounds from St. Louis, signed a national letter of intent in a ceremony Wednesday at Christian Life Center in Humble, Texas.

Anderson, 6-8, 215 from Ototoks, Alberta, inked a financial-aid agreement with KU at his home in Canada. He had previously signed a national letter with DePaul. High schoolers are allowed to sign just one letter of intent.

McLemore averaged 16 points and seven rebounds in six games at the Texas school. He started the school year at Oak Hill Academy in Mouth of Wilson, Va., before being dismissed for violating undisclosed team rules.

“Ben is a guy we identified a couple of years ago being a player that would be a priority for us,” Self said. “Very rarely do you find guys that are as athletic as Ben with the shooting skill that he has. He’s going to become even a better shooter as we move forward. He has a chance to be an outstanding player.”

McLemore, who chose KU over Missouri and Tennessee, is rated No. 17 nationally by Rivals.com.

“It’s not easy for a kid growing up in St. Louis to choose the University of Kansas,” Self said. “We’ve been so pleased with his loyalty. Ben has told us all along that he wanted to be a Jayhawk, and we let the process play out, and he certainly held true to that. I’m very excited about him.”

Anderson — he chose KU over Kentucky, Arizona, Florida, Missouri and Memphis — averaged 20 points and 11 rebounds at Wilbraham and Monson Academy in Wilbraham, Mass. He recently left the school for undisclosed reasons and is finishing up his course work online in Canada.

“Braeden is a guy we identified late,” Self said of the unranked player. “When we felt like the (Morris) twins would probably be leaving, we looked for the best available big guy there was in the country. Although we are still recruiting a couple more, Braeden Anderson was on everybody’s list. He is a guy with a great skill set, great bounce and great body and is just a short time away from a chance to be a really good player for us.”

The spring signing period lasts until May 18. KU, which signed point guard Naadir Tharpe in November, has three remaining scholarships to give in the Class of 2011, four if Josh Selby declares for the NBA Draft. Previously a walk-on, Conner Teahan received a scholarship this year because one was available. He figures to receive one again his senior year, with KU likely not to fill all available slots. Self said he would like to sign at least one more perimeter player and one more frontcourt player.

No. 91-rated Tharpe, a 6-footer from Brewster Academy in Wolfeboro, N.H., averaged 14.5 points and 6.0 assists in leading Brewester to a 31-3 record.

Players still on KU’s wish list include DeAndre Daniels, 6-8, 180, from IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla.; Jamari Traylor, 6-7, 210, also from IMG; and Trevor Lacey, 6-3, 190, from Butler High in Huntsville, Ala.

Possible transfer?

La Salle sophomore center Aaric Murray, who has announced plans to transfer, may make a recruiting trip to KU, according to the Philadelphia Daily News. The 6-10 Philly native averaged 15.2 points and 7.7 rebounds last season. He has visited Oklahoma State and also has West Virginia, Marquette and DePaul on his list.

Still in Vegas

KU freshman Selby remained in Las Vegas on Wednesday, working out at Impact Basketball as he decides whether to enter the NBA Draft or return to KU for a second season.

Underclassmen have until April 24 to declare. ESPN’s Chad Ford lists Selby as the 44th overall prospect, meaning he’d be a second-round pick in this year’s draft. Draftexpress.com has Selby being taken No. 27 in the first round.

CBSsports.com’s Gary Parrish is the latest to write that Selby ultimately will choose the NBA. In Wednesday’s piece on the CBS website, he wrote: “Selby will announce sometime soon that he’s entering the NBA Draft because the only real alternative would be to return to Kansas, and that just isn’t happening. You think Selby wants to try to explain to the NCAA how he has been paying to train in Las Vegas for the past week? No way. So the freshman guard will pick an agent and formally declare — meaning his entire college career will consist of one disappointing season that garnered more headlines for impermissible benefits (in high school) than impressive performances.”

Comments

milehighhawk 3 years, 6 months ago

Look forward to seeing the guys in action!

Michael Auchard 3 years, 6 months ago

I wish there were more quotes than this. It's almost a tease. Man, I wish it was basketball season already...

tylerpf26 3 years, 6 months ago

+3 just a little over 180 days and we can enjoy another great season of Hawk B-Ball

Mike Kendall 3 years, 6 months ago

opps, sorry---didn't know 26 slipped in there before me!

+4.

Kye Clark 3 years, 6 months ago

Tristan Thompson & Cory Joseph were both ranked by rivals last year.

Jonathan Allison 3 years, 6 months ago

I know at least that Braeden played in the states for the past two years. Don't know about Thompson and Joseph, but I assume that played in the states, too, at least in AAU season.

Michael Pannacciulli 3 years, 6 months ago

Yes and after all Anderson should be ranked nationally because he played in Mass. What's up with the early depatures though from school? Anyone find out if there is more to the story here?

Krohnutz 3 years, 6 months ago

Dude, Self was getting solid play out of oversized slow big white dudes at Illinois, and those guys weren't recruited by anybody. So yeah, I have total faith in him and his staff when it comes to getting a big guy to play ball.

What I cannot figure out is this... We should have the best big man in any class, every year. Why do young big men not realize what a bonus it is having not only Self but Danny freaking Manning coaching you.

Danny essentially made a long career at the NBA level being crafty and smarter than the guys he went against. He knows every trick in the book. Two bad knees kept him from being a hall of famer at that level as well (thank you Clippers curse). I don't understand young people.

Sorry to ramble, nice pic Ralster. Amen to bikinis and wax.

Jeremy Bolinger 3 years, 6 months ago

Tell me this isnt the Krohnutz that taught my coms 130 class last semester? haha if this is, im the Hurricane fan that sat in back.

Krohnutz 3 years, 6 months ago

Awesome! I wondered how many of my classes are posters on this site. And I figured you would be sporting some hybrid Miami/Jayhawk logo somewhere.

So why is it that the Hurricanes got shot down by Amaker? Even broke, I would think Miami would be a better gig than Harvard. I have heard they are cheap, but that cheap? What's going on?

Jeremy Bolinger 3 years, 6 months ago

They never offered. They were merely interested. Also, are you still teaching?

Krohnutz 3 years, 6 months ago

Newp, done, working 9-5 now off the hill. Sort of miss it, sort of don't.

Wife is due in like five months, so I'm sure I'll miss the casual days on the hill when I'm dealing with diaper rash, but it was time to move on.

So no more easy A's for anybody baby!!

Kye Clark 3 years, 6 months ago

I've posted the gist of this on other threads, but I don't mind doing it again. The reason we don't have the best big man class every year is playing time. Coming into the year, it was maybe 50/50 that Marcus would be ready for the NBA. With Markieff, I don't think anyone was talking about him being ready after his Junior campaign. And the prevailing thinking was that even if Marcus was ready, he'd stick around to play one more year with his brother. So, in the early signing period when almost all of the elite bigs committed & signed, they were looking at KU and thinking they'd have to sit a year behind the Twins & TRob. What 5-star recruit wants to come in and sit? No matter how good the coaching may be, very few guys are willing to come in and put in the work without the hope of seeing major minutes.

It's not really Self's fault. Good coaching alone isn't enough to lure these kids in. The problem is really with having the early signing period so...early. The early signing period for this past season began November 11th, and lasted 6 days. KU didn't play their first game until November 12th. With early departures and the often rapid ascension up the mock draft boards players can experience in just one year's time, they should do away with the early signing period altogether.

Krohnutz 3 years, 6 months ago

Yeah, I can see that. Particularly with how the college game is structured, players are not looking to be three and four year players. They are looking to come in, start, stay a year or two, and take off.

Anybody remember Brian Cook and Archibald (sp?) the year Self took them to the Elite 8? Man I hated those guys.

bennybob 3 years, 6 months ago

"Trust in Self (we have no choice, and its not a bad thing, jeez...)".

I've never thought of it that way, lol

Michael Auchard 3 years, 6 months ago

Plus, he's played in America for awhile now, he went to a New England prep school. No Canadian racism here, I think. He's just a late bloomer. I like D-Manning's chances to coach up anyone. I think the fact the newly-revamped Arizona program and Kentucky were interested in this guy speaks volumes. Good pick up, I think/hope.

Viggo3003 3 years, 6 months ago

Ok if Canadian is a race then why isn't American?

BCRavenJHawkfan 3 years, 6 months ago

Very much agree. I've thought many times this year that Kaun was under-appreciated for what he could contribute by '08.

Dan Harris 3 years, 6 months ago

I would rather recruit kids that will be here for 3 to 4 years the OAD's Welcome Ben , Braeden and Naadir

Bridgett Wagner 3 years, 6 months ago

+1 OAD's have been ... underwhelming. Even if they play great, you can't get attached to them because you know they aren't sticking around. Welcome to KU new recruits!

Jacobpaul81 3 years, 6 months ago

I'm looking for the 3-4 year guys who rank in the top 150. We won a national title with 4 Seniors (Robinson, Kaun, Jackson, Stewart), 2 Juniors (Chalmers & Rush), 2 Sophomores (Arthur, Collins) and a backup Freshman (Aldrich) who rarely saw court time.

4 of them were McDonald's All Americans - Chalmers, Arthur, Collins and Aldrich. Stewart was a pre-season McDonald's All American his senior year of college but just missed the roster for the post-season game.

ALL 9 of them were Top 100: Stewart #25 2004 Robinson #27 2004 Kaun #34 2004 Jackson #54 2004 Chalmers #12 2005 Rush #13 2005 Arthur #16 2006 Collins #21 2006 Aldrich #30 2007

The Guys who saw the most minutes?
Non McDonald's All-Americans - 99.2 mpg - Robinson, Rush, Jackson, Kaun McDonald's All-Americans - 86.8 mpg - Chalmers, Arthur, Collins, Aldrich Stewart - as the Odd-Duck, 13 mpg.

MPG per game:
Chalmers, Rush, Robinson - 29 MPG average Arthur, Jackson - 24.5 MPG average Collins - 23 mpg Kaun - 17.7 mpg Stewart - 13 mpg Aldrich - 8 mpg

Total Rivals ratings: Non MD's - 128 (153 w/ Stewart) MD's - 79

Jacobpaul81 3 years, 6 months ago

should say "Senior year of high school." Many expected him to make the All-America game but he just missed the cut.

Dale Kroening 3 years, 6 months ago

While in no way do I mean to disrespect Wesley in any way, but he transfered to KU from Lamar and isnt a scholarship player, he is a walkon. I would be EXTREMELY shocked if he is in the rotation or plays any significant minutes next season.No offense, but there is just too much talent ahead of him. For those who say, but he's a big, and we are short on bigs, well he is long at 6'8", but he only weighs 200 pounds. Thats only 7 more pounds than Tyrel Reed.

ku1otaku 3 years, 6 months ago

Although I tend to agree with you, I do think that people probably said the same thing about Christian Moody...and he did pretty well when Bill Self took over.

fareasthawk 3 years, 6 months ago

Walk-ons can play well and surprise people. If anyone can develop bigs it's Manning. So Wesley does have a shot at being a good player. I think the likelihood of him being a star is low. Next year we need role players to compliment TRob in the post. That may be Wesley, Withey, or Anderson. Moody did play well. However, he was really a role player and would not have played the minutes he did if there would have been other talent. He was the best we had a the time. Great guy, but his ceiling was low. This is Kansas. We compete against the best and need to be the best. Walk-ons usually are not the best.

ku1otaku 3 years, 6 months ago

That's my point. Moody played because there wasn't a lot ahead of him and Self utilized whatever talent/ability he had. Wesley does not have a lot in front of him either so it is possible (although I'm not a complete believer) that the same could occur for him.

shawk13 3 years, 6 months ago

Ralster already mentioned it, but the thing I remember most about Late Night this season was that Wesley didn't look out of place playing out there. At all. In fact, he was the most impressive player that night in my opinion. I'm not saying you are outright wrong and he will be our best player, but he looks good from what little I have seen from him.
Surely he will get Little/Releford minutes or better (not really much, but I'm leaning more towards "better").

Krohnutz 3 years, 6 months ago

Not all his bigs are finesse. He has had some bruisers, it just depends on the player, but Self can coach either. Go back to his Illini days and he always more talented forwards and guards, and some monsters in the post. I'd say Coach can roll either way, finesse or master blaster.

Kevin Huffman 3 years, 6 months ago

McLemore has the look of a PTPER....honestly, body-wise and all reminds one a TON of Rush.

BCRavenJHawkfan 3 years, 6 months ago

"Plus many of Self's guards are do-it-all combinations of dirty work defense+rebounds, along with their own scoring contributions." Yes, Yes, Yes. And that is something Selby either couldn't or wouldn't do. For Taylor I would add that I think he learned some things from Reed, such as finding a way to get some rebounds and getting those 50/50 balls.

phi4life940 3 years, 6 months ago

Always excited to hear the names of the next great KU players! Can't WAIT for Late Night!

Rock Chalk!

Mike Kendall 3 years, 6 months ago

ralster----

You have a way with words, and uh, with avatars!!!!!!!! Nice!

Krohnutz 3 years, 6 months ago

Ralster were you the one with Alba ass on here for awhile?

Krohnutz 3 years, 6 months ago

I love that avatar sir. Among the highlights of this website.

Hank Cross 3 years, 6 months ago

I just heard on the sports talk radio station in LA the hosts and and Clipper broadcaster Don McClean talking about Selby as if he had declared. McClean's take was that last season didn't really hurt Selby b/c the NBA scouts had already formed an opinion of him through AAU etc. McClean also thought Selby would go high in the draft. I don't know where they were getting their information, but it was interesting to hear that Selby's KU career was more or less irrelevant.

Joe Baker 3 years, 6 months ago

No feelings either way about Selby. My feelings are mixed and was never able to honestly form an impression. I just liked what he did in those non-con games when we needed it most. I really thought he would explode. I don't blame him going to the NBA, it was no surprise and we all knew it before he came to KU. As TT was quoted, we'll be good w/ or w/o him. I really wonder if DD is waiting on Selby to make a decision. I really think in some pt way that DD sees Selby as his chance to play at KU. I think Selby is a playing threat to DD, not on a skills or position basis, but just competing for mins that DD would like to have. Why doesn't Selby make his declaration known? Self has said Selby will decide in a few days 2-3 days ago. It will be this week and we'll get an announcement from Selby and DD will make his decision shortly after or the same day as Selby.

Sam Constance 3 years, 6 months ago

Chad Ford of ESPN.com doesn't seem to think Selby's draft stock is quite so hot. He projects him as a late first-rounder, possible second-round pick.

And unless you are a stud, this is NOT the year to be a second-round pick.

I can't help but think he's getting some bad advice somewhere. I just hope it doesn't bite him in the arse. It would be frustrating to lose a talent like Selby and then have him slip to the second round, where if they have a lockout, he won't have much opportunity to earn his way onto a roster.

Woody Cragg 3 years, 6 months ago

Still need another blue collar painter!

Kent Kossoy 3 years, 6 months ago

Does anybody know if Selby was back in school this week? Perhaps that would answer whether he has flown the coup!!

KUbsee69 3 years, 6 months ago

The article above clearly points out that he's still in Vegas.

Chris Bailey 3 years, 6 months ago

It says in the article above that as of Wednesday he was still in Vegas. Inferring that hasn't left Vegas. I doubt he'll be back.

Hammertime12 3 years, 6 months ago

VCU, Bradley, UNI,...who will it be next year? Get your hopes up just to get them crushed. K-State beat KU by 50 in football and 18 in basketball..for the record.

Krohnutz 3 years, 6 months ago

Hammer is so right dude, we get upset every year, all the bad things happen to us and only us, we never win anything. It's why our arena is so devoid of banners, tradition, and history and we barely register on the all-time wins list.

Oh wait.... That's a load.

Quarter century Hammertime, KU owned your team in your house for almost a quarter century. We should be hanging our banners in your house, since we have owned it for longer than you have.

Redlandsjhawk 3 years, 6 months ago

"We should hang our banners in your house since we've owned it longer than you have." Classic...Hall of fame post.

bad_dog 3 years, 6 months ago

"We should be hanging our banners in your house, since we have owned it for longer than you have."

Well we could probably use the extra space in their rafters, couldn't we? It would certainly look better than the bare ceiling.

Kye Clark 3 years, 6 months ago

And you have a sweet DVD commemorating that basketball win. We may get our hopes up and have the occasional let-down, but at least we're not celebrating raging mediocrity by making DVDs...for a regular season/conference win.

To your question who will it be next year? One thing I can guarantee you is that it won't be KSUck. You couldn't even keep Colorado from making you their B!%*# a third straight time to get another shot at us in the conference tournament. At least with them leaving you won't have to face that embarrassment anymore.

BCRavenJHawkfan 3 years, 6 months ago

And you have to be a "somebody" in order for it to be an upset in the first place. I look at it much like a major golf tournament, Tiger against the field. The "Field" has become so good Tiger has to play very, very well to beat that "field" everytime.

Cmill1221 3 years, 6 months ago

How bad did k-state get beat down in Lawrence??

Woody Cragg 3 years, 6 months ago

I love the way we "hammer-time" the crap outa these trolls! I really get some good laughs from this stuff. Thanks guys.

Chris Bailey 3 years, 6 months ago

Go troll somewhere else! You $%)#ing KSuck fans come on here hoping to get a glimpse of a real school and pound your chest's about YOUR football dynasty! Might I point out that YOUR DYNASTY is 1 of 3 Division I programs to LOSE 600 games in Football! Your overall record 466-610-41 is hardly impressive nor not what anyone in their right mind would consider a dynasty! KU leads the all-time series 64–38–5! It's not even close! Our overall record is 568–550–58. So stop pounding your chest about your football team! Take Snyder out of the mix (149–80–1) and you really suck! Go troll on your own site get your weak *$#& outta here! What is Ksuck gonna do when Synder leaves? Back to sucking! We have Turner Gill and watch what we do in the coming seasons! Oh and how many Big 12 basketball championships has KSuck won? And how does that home away from home for us you call a basketball arena with your 1 win over us there since it was built feel?

hayjawk 3 years, 6 months ago

Kansas 42 wins in the last 45 games v. State.

bad_dog 3 years, 6 months ago

Well that is something like a 6.7% win ratio over the last 45 games. Way to represent purple!

Maybe we can get Kermit the Frog to sing "It Ain't Easy Being Purple".

Steve Gantz 3 years, 6 months ago

How'd that go when my other favorite team Wisconsin played ya'll in the NCAA's this year?

Krohnutz 3 years, 6 months ago

I actually feel sorry for the kid. I think he got hosed by the NCAA. Missing early season conditioning and workouts, coupled with injuries, throw in some hype, it was a tough shoe to wear.

I'm not trying to be negative, I just don't think he is ready for the NBA. The game is quicker, players are bigger and stronger, and he has shown a problem of control at times. I think one more year, at least, at the collegiate level would do him some good.

REHawk 3 years, 6 months ago

Thanks for sharing, oxcaljayhawk. Interesting take from an NBA broadcaster. Selby would have gone straight to the NBA, but for the one year rule. His dream has been to be a pro player, sooner rather than later. For Josh and KU the experiment got derailed by the 9 game suspension, then the injury. Though Bill Self and staff are masters at blending high caliber recruits into team players, I've a feeling that Josh might not be the ultimate blend guy for a second Jayhawk season. If he is still on target to be a first round draftee, I would recommend that he grab the opportunity now. His game might not fit so well into SelfBall as it would in the NBA. If our recruiters can dredge up a dependable 3-pt. shooter, we are currently pretty well set for perimeter players. The big push has to be on unearthing or attracting another big man, esp. if Anderson or Withey are not up to the task of providing substantial minutes. I would like to read Self's evaluation of Justin Wessley...or Withey's potential impact on the new lineup for 2011/12.

Joe Baker 3 years, 6 months ago

Self said Withey may lead the conference in blocks. I think Withey just needs some solid mins and reps to find some much needed confidence. I like his attitude so far after what has happened. I hope he'll learn, grow and master what Manning teaches him. TRob and Withey have to treat Anderson just like the Twins treated TRob. Did you hear McM at the banquet? He'd be back and check on their lil' bro TRob. I've gotta funny feeling, the Twins may be watching their clone compete for a NC. I don't know too many teammates that go to the NBA only to voice their support for their former teammates. I can't be more proud of the Twins and will miss them like most everyone else.

Phogz 3 years, 6 months ago

It'll be cool if the twins make a point to return in future years to play in the pro vs. jayhawk rookies games... I remember Hinrich schoolin' chalmers a couple times.

CrimsonnBlueKU 3 years, 6 months ago

I think this off season and training camp will be huge for some of our players. It is given that Ty Taylor, T Rob, and EJ will be solid for us but it is the progression of Releford and Withey that will be huge for us along with the McNasty, Tharpe and Anderson just hard to tell how much the freshman will play since Self tends to work them slowly but surely into our line up and our team philosophy, which is the name in the front of the jersey is much more important than the name on the back.

I look forward to seeing Whitey and the young guys get Hudysized! Whitey plus 25-30 lbs will help his game and our team tremendously. Not to mention that T Rob has been quoted that he has more room to gain more muscle weight! Exciting stuff guys keep me posted on D Daniels.

Ashwin Rao 3 years, 6 months ago

I am not sure if more (top rater players) is better in our case. Bill Self's system doesn't give free-reign to players. It is usually a team effort, and the OADs prefer systems that allow them to standout. If they don't standout, then they get frustrated. I believe in having 1-2 five star players in the mix, but they need a stable of good team players to get us to the championship. The five star player(s) can then shine, and there are no egos involved.

I really do like our composition. I won't mind if we fill up the gap by adding some more good role players (one-or-two taller shooting guards, one big etc)

cobweb 3 years, 6 months ago

I predict Withey will be better than people think. You could see a few flashes in limited play. Danny will have him ready.

ameraidi 3 years, 6 months ago

Josh Shelby is not NBA material, he needs a minimum of 3 years under Self before he's ready to play with the big boys. If he bolts, he'll probably play for a year then get shipped off to turkey to play with a semi-professional bball team team.

Kevin Huffman 3 years, 6 months ago

Someone was already looking ahead to next season's Big 12 (Ten) basketball finishings:

I'd go with -

1)Texas...are they losing anybody?!?! Maybe J'Covan Brown was a Sr.? 2) KU 3)A&M 4)Baylor 5)Missouri 6)Iowa State (a load of talent of transfers and such that had to sit last yr. for Hoiberg) 7)Kansas State 8)OSU 9)OU 10)Tech............only ones that were easy for me were 1) - 3) and 9) & 10).........4) - 8) pretty much of a "crapshoot".

Krohnutz 3 years, 6 months ago

UT is losing Johnson and Lucas (both seniors), and I keep hearing from the boss that Hamilton is going pro, but I haven't seen a word about it otherwise. They are losing Matt Hill too, but he was sort of the last guy off the bench. I don't know about Balbay, because he is a senior, but I don't think he has exausted his eligibility.

Brown, next year's front man for ugliest player, was only a sophomore so you can bet he'll still be there shooting free throws all day, every game.

So at minimum they are losing three of the seven guys that had decent minutes, so it is pretty much a brand new team as Barnes barely played over seven to eight deep.

So like us, UT is going to be bringing some new guys to the mix. The Big Texas is totally wide open again next year.

As a side note, I won't be shocked if Iowa State is a very solid team next year.

JayDocMD 3 years, 6 months ago

always thought J'Covan Brown looked like Mushmouth from Fat Albert

Krohnutz 3 years, 6 months ago

I can't stop laughing. Now I'll think "HEY HEY HEY" every time I see him play.

BCRavenJHawkfan 3 years, 6 months ago

I thought Baylor was returning their stud plus getting a star recruit.

BCRavenJHawkfan 3 years, 6 months ago

"He's drawing lots of Willie Warren comparisons," DraftExpress.com's Jonathan Givony said.

"All together now ... Yikes."

"Warren was a talented high school prospect with physical gifts and lots of red flags (sound familiar?) who enrolled at Oklahoma in 2008, had a nice season as Blake Griffin's sidekick, then showed his true self as a sophomore. Warren clashed with coaches, teammates, refused to guard and was just a problem in general. He turned pro last year, was drafted 54th and is now a member of the NBDL's Bakersfield Jam."

That's quite an indictment.

HawkKlaw 3 years, 6 months ago

I can't take any article seriously when it was written by a guy that looks like a member of jersey shore. Orange you a little skeptical when you see a pic like that? I know "it's a jersey thaaang," but c'mon now! That guy has to be the laughing stock of his office.

Sally Presson 3 years, 6 months ago

the NCAA definately screwed Josh and got his KU start off to a rocky beginning. I really feel bad for him, but his mind in not on Rock Chalk, wish is was, but that's the way the ball bounces. Really think he needs another year with Bill & the coaches. Just seemed like Div I was overwhelming to him, what does he think the NBA will be? he sure won't get the warm fuzzies from the fans like he does at KU. Really don't like this one & done thing the NBA set up. Hope Josh makes the best decision for him, he just doesn't seem mature enough to go pro. Maybe it's that baby face and cute smile that makes him seem so young.

fareasthawk 3 years, 6 months ago

I think we are ok for next year. Hopefully, Taylor is consistent and plays like he did in the tourney. Robinson should have a great year and a real force in the post. Releford shows so much potential and I think when he gets the playing time he will be excellent. EJ has looked great and should get the playing time he needs. Hopefully, Withey, Anderson, Wesley can help in the post.

Not to jump the gun, but it seems like we may be hurting in the 2012-2013 season. Taylor and Robinson will be gone. The last two recruiting classes have been a little weak. Where's the star power? I mean, Selby was a star, but there's no way he stays past next year (if he stays this yr). BMac has the potential to be great. Seems like the rest will be good role players. I agree that we need good role players, but you got to have players that control the game. I could just see a scenario where we depend heavily on freshman...that's never gone to smoothly here. That being said we do have a shot at some great recruits in that class. I hope we can get them to commit early. This waiting till the last minute to sign the best available is stressful.

KGphoto 3 years, 6 months ago

Congrats Conner Teahan! A KU basketball schollie is a big deal.

Also I don't know if we need another guard, whether or not Selby stays. I'd rather see TT, EJay, McLemore, Releford, Tharpe and even Woolridge work out a rotation, instead of trying to squeeze in a guy like Lacey.

As far as bigs. We are always forgetting Wesley. He has a year of Danny under his belt, and has tools in there too. With TRob getting 30 minutes a game he will be a top big in the country next year. That immediately puts KU in the mix. Withey is incredibly talented and although he has progressed slower than expected, some of that can be contributed to the fact that the twins erupted from under Danny's wings and would not be denied the minutes. Likewise with TRob. As Withey racks up minutes, I think we'll see teams having a hard time matching up with him. Long, athletic 7 footers with a shooting touch don't grow on trees. He's a shot blocker and a floor runner. I'd also guess that he has gained at least a little weight, but he's not a banger anyway. It's not his style. He will be able to snare rebounds at their highest point instead of fighting for them under the rim.

Quick news flash: Darrell Arthur garnered one vote in ESPN's "Most Improved Player" poll. http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=MIP-2011 John Hollinger voted for him. It was mostly a Kevin Love affair, but it was cool to see a Hawk in the mix.

Jack Wilson 3 years, 6 months ago

Great information on Selby from the article.

It is hard to be so harsh on a kid, but all this guy did was use KU. That view is probably more jaded by the fact that his performance was very subpar vs. the hype, and vs. the effort and discussion related to his recruitment. I felt the same way about X, but the guy did play, and did perform adequately (though effort was sometimes a question).

I don't recall who made the comment on this message board a while back, but it was along the lines of whether Self's system, and how he coaches, is compatible with the one and done player. That was one of the best observations I've seen because it clearly is not. We can debate the system, but it the system.

I go back to December .. would this team had been better off in the final anaylsis if Selby had just been declared ineligible? I think so.

The fault is not with the athlete looking to make money. The fault is with the system that inspires this garbage.

What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas .. Personal opinion only, I hope Selby stays there too.

Hank Cross 3 years, 6 months ago

Self's coaching style and system are really not suited to OADs. Having a OAD means letting them play many minutes, mistakes and all, and try to catch the lightning. I'm not that dismissive of Selby's performance b/c Self's system is not set up for someone like Selby. The ball needs to stick in Selby's hands to see if he can break down the defense with a dribble drive. That means holding it a bit and throwing a few fakes or jabs, or some drives that end in a kick out and are only meant to test the defense. Selby is more like a Rondo, but Self's system put him in more the Ray Allen role.

That being said, I hope Selby declares. You can't have someone that equivical about remaining on the team. Plus, this Vegas stay is ripe for an NCAA investigation.

Kye Clark 3 years, 6 months ago

I think Self's system is only compatible with OAD talent if he has no where else to turn. This upcoming year, if we were to have landed a stud OAD post man he could have thrived. In the '08-'09 season, after everybody left and it was basically Sherron & Cole, a OAD could have thrived. The problem (as it relates to the system) is that when Self has other options, kids that know the system and he trusts to just be in the right place and make the safe play, he will play them. I was hopeful when we signed Selby that it would be an instance of him being able to step in and shine, since we had the vacancy at the point with Sherron's departure. Now, maybe had he been eligible from Day 1 we would have seen that. Unfortunately the suspension happened, Self got comfortable with Tyshawn at the point, Selby was never playing his natural position, the injury happened, and Self got comfortable with a 3 guard line-up of TT, Brady, & Tyrel.

I've said this before, but the best thing that ever happened to the '08 team (aside from winning the Championship) was that when they were freshman & sophomores Self was forced to play them because he had no other choice. They took their lumps - starting with that dreadful performance in Maui - when Chalmers, Rush, & Wright were Freshman and RussRob, Darnell, & Sasha were sophomores. All that early playing time served as the foundation for what would be the championship season 2 years later. Now none of those guys were OAD level talent (even though Rush and later Arthur were thought to maybe be that highly regarded), but the formula is the same. If Self had someone that good, I think the only way they could play themselves to their OAD potential is without safe, low-risk/low-reward alternatives for Self to turn to.

SaulGood 3 years, 6 months ago

Hey, if Selby's just waiting for someone to tell him he can go pro in the first round, he could just ask the janitor at the Impact facility.

I don't get cynical about this type of decision often, but it seems to me he's fishing for the first person who will tell him "You're definitely pro material."

I don't think there's any way he's coming back, and honestly, we've got a good start loading the bases for Self's "home run". I am excited to see what Braeden's all about. Anybody got links for good videos on this kid?

HawkKlaw 3 years, 6 months ago

If the twins are ready for the NBA draft, doesn't that inherently mean that Self coached them to where they needed to be to enter the draft?

How could any recruit look at the twins' situation and not see it as positive? They stuck around for three years, and now they'll be drafted high to mid-first round. I don't think that reflects negatively on Bill Self in any way. In fact, I think that makes recruits like Anderson want to come to KU.

There's no evidence that the twins or Selby "invalidated their potential to return." There's your speculation, but you need a lot more than that to find someone guilty of an infraction. It has nothing to do with Bill Self either. He didn't force Selby to go to Las Vegas. Wouldn't it be a lot worse if Bill Self controlled everything a player does (even off the court)? Recruits don't want to play for a dictator; they want to play for a guy that can lead them to a National Championship.

Lastly, there's nothing wrong with what Selby is doing. He's "testing" the draft waters. If he thinks he'll get drafted really low, he may return. If the word is that he'll get drafted pretty high, he is gone. It doesn't mean that he's getting illegal benefits in Las Vegas. Until there's evidence of that happening, why speculate about it? The speculation is worse for KU than anything Bill Self has done.

HawkKlaw 3 years, 6 months ago

One more point: If Selby is receiving illegal benefits, don't you think that would hurt Selby (as opposed to hurting KU's recruiting process)? McLemore, Anderson, and Tharpe are great recruits who obviously aren't opposed to coming to KU. In fact, I've read quotes from Anderson saying that the twins' situation actually made him want to come to KU even more. KU basketball is in a good place regardless of whether or not Selby returns (thanks in large part to Bill Self).

Brett Forreal 3 years, 6 months ago

Of topic here, but it is kinda funny seeing the slime Calipari is "suggesting" that his recruits check the draft out. He is "suggesting" that Liggins should enter, most people are saying he is D League at best. Trying to make room for all the new recruits, geez this guy is a real tool.

Kye Clark 3 years, 6 months ago

You're absolutely right. People wonder why Self can't always attract the best of the best recruits and Calisleazy can...this is one of the main reasons why: guaranteed playing time, at whatever cost.

UKfan2011 3 years, 6 months ago

Jealous Jealous Jealous....Calipari gets recruits because of his style of play with the dribble drive...how is KU's recruiting class this year? UK is ranked #1 again and this is the best one yet!

prusso25 3 years, 6 months ago

A 6'8 power forward... Seems like that is the size and position that has given ku fits in the past, aka Arizona's Williams and Oklahoma state's Moses. Nice! Bring us some more bigs... I don't think I trust withey quite yet.

As long as self is our coach, we can always look forward to next season knowing he will win.