Tuesday, April 12, 2011

A family affair: Josh Selby, Tyshawn Taylor hot topics at season-ending banquet

Members of the 2010-2011 Kansas basketball team laugh as head coach Bill Self, not pictured, cracks a joke during the team's banquet Monday, April 11, 2011 at the Holiday Inn Lawrence.

The Morris twins are in agreement on which NBA team they'd like to play for

Marcus and Markieff Morris are in agreement on which NBA team they'd like to play for. The two spoke to reporters on April 11, 2011, after the KU men's basketball banquet.

Marcus and Markieff Morris talk about the impact KU has had on their lives

Marcus and Markieff Morris, who declared for the NBA Draft last week, talk about the impact KU has had on their lives following the KU men's basketball banquet on April 11, 2011.

Tyshawn Taylor, who arrived at the Holidome with a bulky, black splint on his right hand, and Josh Selby, who didn’t show up at all, provided two of the hottest topics of dinner conversation at Monday night’s Kansas University basketball banquet.

Taylor, KU’s junior point guard from Hoboken, N.J., had surgery on Friday to repair torn ligaments in the index finger on his shooting hand. It’s an injury that has plagued him off and on since high school. He’ll be able to resume pick-up basketball in late May or early June.

Selby, KU’s freshman combo guard from Baltimore, remains in Las Vegas working out at Impact Basketball as he decides whether to enter the NBA Draft or return for his sophomore season. Various NBA analysts have said he’s learning toward playing for pay next season.

“Josh is getting information through workout people in Las Vegas, trying to get some good feedback. We’ll have an answer the next day or two,” KU coach Bill Self said, indicating he was not upset at Selby for missing the proceedings.

“I talked to Maeshon (mom) today. That decision is coming real soon,” Self added. “He has done the work he needs to academically to pass his classes, but he’s been gone six days. If he’s going to come back, he’ll be coming back real soon. If not, he won’t. Certainly he will salvage this semester academically and pass his classes, which is good.”

Taylor seemed relieved to have had surgery on a finger that, according to Self, “dislocated almost every day (second half of season).”

“My ligaments were all torn up. I mean, it was jammed. It got to the point it wouldn’t jam any more. Every time I got hit, it’d pop out,” Taylor said, noting “once I realized my ligaments were torn, it was midway through the season. With six to eight weeks (of) rehab, it was too late to do anything about it. They cut me open (Friday). They tied some stuff together to make it stronger.”

He didn’t make excuses during the season, but now that he looks back, “I couldn’t shoot with my fingertips,” Taylor said. “I was using my palm a lot. I got my stroke down toward the end, but I changed my shot a lot. It didn’t affect how I dribbled, catching the ball or playing defense, but it was uncomfortable playing with my fingers taped all year.”

He said the finger surgery is one reason he elected to not test the NBA Draft waters.

“When you are at this level, in a program like this, there will be a thought in my head,” Taylor said of turning pro. “I definitely thought about it. I didn’t hear too much (about his draft stock). I didn’t have too much to go off of.

“It was me thinking I was good enough. I mean, it’s my dream. If I feel I’m good enough to be there ... looking at the draft board, comparing myself to those guys there, I think I can play in the NBA. My time is going to come. I’m not rushing it. I will get a degree, and I’m excited. We’re going to have a good season.”

KU sophomore forward Thomas Robinson said his decision to return for a third year was definitely a tough one.

“Just the fact it’s what I’ve been playing for my whole life. You feel you’ve got there already,” he said of positioning himself for the NBA. “I look at the fan support here and everything I have not accomplished. If I leave now, my legacy would not be how I want it. I want to come back to school and make a name for myself as a Jayhawk and try to improve to be one of the best bigs in the country.”

Also, “with the potential NBA lockout, there may be no training camps. I have one of the best big-man coaches right here. Another year with D. (Danny) Manning is huge for me. I want to come back and be leader of the team.”

The Morris twins, who are leaving KU after three years, are confident they made the right call. Self on Monday said it was a “no-brainer” for them to leave.

“There may have been some deliberation, but it was strictly emotional,” Self said. “From a factual standpoint, they needed to go.”

Marcus Morris said: “At the end of the day, it’s why I play basketball, to achieve my dream, to have things I never had and live the way I never lived before. It’s not about the money, it’s about the success. I’m happy having a coach backing my decision and not going against it. I feel the time is right.”

As far as the monetary part ... “It will definitely help my mom out. Some people can’t imagine where I came from (Philadelphia) and the places I lived before I came to Kansas,” Marcus said. “If you knew my story, you knew things I never had growing up. You’d understand why.

“I’ll be back here a lot. I feel I have to come see my little brother ‘T-Rob’ (Robinson) play. He is family to me, one of my brothers. I have to come back, make sure he’s fine, things like that.”

Marcus said his mom, Angel, likely would keep her apartment in Lawrence. “She’s taking care of T-Rob, too,” Marcus said of Robinson, whose mom died in December.

Markieff Morris said he’d like to be drafted, “by whoever would pick me and my brother. That would be my favorite team, the team I’d want to play for.”

Marcus added: “Even if I went in the second round and we went to the same team ... I’d take that.”

Several Jayhawks commented on Selby’s situation.

“I wish him the best of luck whatever he does,” Taylor said. “I’ve not talked to him much. I’m not sure what he’s thinking.

“Our guard play is good. With him, it makes it better. I think we’d be really good. I think we’d be good without him, too,” Taylor added.

Noted Marcus Morris: “I talked to him a couple days ago. He said he wasn’t sure. He’s weighing options. Hopefully he comes back, or whatever he does I hope he has good success at it.”

Added Robinson: “I talk to him a lot. When we talk, it’s not about basketball. Right now, he has a lot on his plate. I feel I know where he’s coming from. I’m sure Josh will make the right decision.”

Comments

CherryCreekHawk 3 years ago

Josh Selby in the NBA? That's a total joke. The guy was a complete bust at KU. But as long as we are playing pretend, my cat Paco will enter Harvard Medical School next year. He's got terrific eyes and can smell out a medical problem a mile away.

KUsmoothies 3 years ago

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know of any other KU players that have ever skipped the banquet in past years? This is the first time I have ever heard of this happening.

Jaminrawk 3 years ago

The thing that's really unfortunate about the Selby situation is that the Morris twins who are ALSO going into the draft, found time to attend the team banquet. They understand "team" and actually care about their guys. Selby staying in Vegas is just kind of insulting to KU when you see freshmen like Barnes, Sullinger, Knight, etc agonize over leaving. Selby is honestly the only recruit I can remember that seems to have no emotional connection to a place he played college ball even if it were only for one year. I don't know him, so maybe my perception is wrong. I just wish things would have been done differently this week. At least Xavier cut to the chase and did everything in person rather than blowing town.

Phogz 3 years ago

Got to look at his high school tapes to see that potential.... he could choose to prove us wrong though.

FLJHK 3 years ago

Re Selby. Looks to me that he is going pro, and if so, good luck to him. I know my basketball eyes aren't as astute as many on this site, but I sure don't see what scouts seem to see in him regarding potential.

But if he is projected as a first rounder, I think he should probably go. I don't think another year at KU does him much good. If his natural and ultimate NBA position is PG, I don't see him getting major playing time there next year. With a healthy hand, I think TT will be a superstar next year.

Had Selby come here without all the overblown hype and ratings, many of us would have wondered why he got the playing time he did. His play was generally not good, and the team often functioned poorly with him on the court.

One thing I don't criticize about him however, is his attitude He dealt with a lot this year, from the suspension to injuries to too much forced play when he got opportunities. But I never saw his spirit wane and he seemed genuinely team oriented and positive in every way. Given all he endured, I think that speaks very highly of his character. So if he is indeed leaving, I only wish him well.

Re the twins, they absolutely made the right decision, but God I'll miss them. The improvement in their games over three years was beautiful to watch. They deserve a special status in Jayhawk history, and I wish them great pro careers.

I'm very happy that TRob is coming back, and think it is the right decision. Also very pleased that Angel remains in Lawrence, and hope she does so for a good long time. She seems to be a wonderful person and apparently very important to both TRob and Jayla.

I'll never fault any of the guys that came from tough backgrounds and have the opportunity to make millions in the league. I hate that the system even allows for one and dones, but I certainly don't fault the players who exploit it.

Next year's team is going to be radically different, and certainly at the start will not be as good as this year's edition. But this year's team was not all that good at the start of the season but became very good by the end, until the VCU debacle. I hope for more of the same next year,

And as always, it's great to be a Jayhawk.

Dale Kroening 3 years ago

It will be announced tomorrow that Josh is signing with an agent and putting his name in the 2011 NBA draft. Good luck Josh, although I think your making a mistake and another year could do wonders for your game, best of luck ! Maybe this will open the door to signing Lacey, although I'd be surprised if he signs with anyone other than Bama, but maybe Self's recent visit caused him to have a change of heart, and with Selby leaving there could be some open playing time at the 2 for a top 35 player such as Lacey.

Ethan Berger 3 years ago

If I never read the article, I would have seen that Josh already chose to leave. He hasnt left yet. Even then he wouldnt be a waste of a scholly. The kid didn't always make the smart plays but he always gave a hundred percent. The last game against vcu he was sliding all over the court for loose balls. The kid put his heart into the season even though he went through so much(have we already forgotten that his best friend died this season? On top of two injuries and a 9 game suspension.) Josh stay another year. But if you dont, I wish the best.

Janet Olin 3 years ago

Rumor has it that Daniels is on his way to Puke, having been poached out of KU's front yard. I'm sorry Josh was injured/suspended most of the season and didn't have the chance to showcase his skill set. I hope he comes back to run a very talented team and get the experience that will propel him to a top pick next year. That said, if he can't come back for the team banquet, he can't spell TEAM, and it is clear his loyalty to KU pales in comparison to KU's loyalty to him. Move on. KU has always been about team commitment and he doesn't appear to fit. Lots of 3 and 2 star players who can play and be loyal. OAD is overrated. Stats favor teams with senior leadership in the NCAA tourney.

jhwkfan162515 3 years ago

Selby should never have come to KU in the first place. I don't know why Bill Self wastes his time on one-and-doners. Not everybody is going to do what Carmelo Anthony did at Syracuse.

And as for Tyshawn, well, I'm glad his finger injury had nothing to do with fighting with football players this time.

eastcoasthawk 3 years ago

Congrats to the team for an excellent year! I agree with our new AD. Just need to enjoy the ride!

As for Josh - Kemba just declared so that is another peg further down for Josh. My biggest concern with him going to the draft this year is that he could have similar problems that Sherron had. May not be easy to earn a seat on the bench let alone get in games.

lhohman3 3 years ago

Chad Ford/ESPN has been continually saying how this is going to be a historically weak NBA draft. Especially at PG/SG position.

1st rd. PG/SG Locks are: Kyrie Irving, Kemba Walker, Brandon Knight, Alec Burks, Jimmer Fredette (probably) , Nolan Smith, Shelvin Mack (probably) and.......?

I think other PG/SG's like Josh Selby, Isaiah Thomas, Marshon Brooks, Jacob Pullen, Norris Cole could very well be fighting for those last few picks in rd 1....And if Selby has a great draft camp, who knows...? If Daniel Orton and Avery Bradley can get drafted in rd 1, anything is possible.

Ian Sadler 3 years ago

The twins sweater vests SCREAM Motownphilly!

BCRavenJHawkfan 3 years ago

So Selby is still in Vegas.............

I have it on good authority that his evaluation out there is contingent on hitting a three....from the NBA stripe. He has been shooting continuous for a week now. The odds are sure to turn in his favor that at some point one of those bricks will fall.

Tongue-in-Cheek for those wondering.

lhohman3 3 years ago

From everything that I am reading/hearing about 2011-2012 lockout/collective bargaining agreement in NBA – the biggest emphasis from the owners in the future is obviously on salary control c/o the players. NBA owners are hoping to slash team salary caps by an estimated 33%. What this means to me, is that getting bargains on players is going to be a huge agenda for all NBA teams. Translation: Top-tier 2nd round picks (with potential 1st round talent in 2-3 years time) will get more guaranteed deals for appx. half the $$$ of a 1st round pick. Owners love the idea of stockpiling these 31-45 picks, especially if you are young/raw or BIG. Just look at Mario Chalmers, Dexter Pittman, Armon Johnson, Landry Fields, Lance Stephenson, Da'Sean Butler, Devin Ebanks, Luke Harangody, DeJuan Blair, Sam Young, Jon Brockman, Jodie Meeks, AJ Price, Chase Budinger, Bill Walker, DeAndre Jordan, Semih Erden, etc. etc. (all drafted in 2nd round and currently on NBA rosters) & you can see the trend.

lhohman3 3 years ago

NBA Draftnet (best mock draft site on www.) most current info. has Selby going #3 in the 2nd round (33rd pick overall) to the lowly Detroit Pistons.

Cleveland, Detroit, New Jersey, Washington Sacramento, LA Clippers, and Milwaukee all have picks in that early 2nd round/31-40 area.

I think given the fact that Josh is only 20 yrs old, with a possible huge upside -- he'll have at least 3 years to prove his worth in "The L" after getting picked in the high 2nd round of this 2011 draft (and probably get a guaranteed 3 year deal @ appx. $750K/yr, which has been the current standard for most high-second round picks)

Ironically, I also (sadly) think he might wind up playing more mins. quicker if he declares this year and gets picked in the 2nd round by one of those aforementioned awful teams -- vs. staying an extra year @ KU and probably getting drafted in the late(r) 1st round to a playoff team/title contender (most likely) in 2012 draft....

This site has Jacob Pullen going 57th overall to Boston, btw.

If these draft projections stay where they are – he’s gone.

Let’s go get Daniels!!!!

Ethan Berger 3 years ago

But if he stays and as an All-American year, would it still be a waste? Let the kid choose before statements like this.

Joe Joseph 3 years ago

Selby = waste of a scholarship

HawkKlaw 3 years ago

From a development standpoint, it is obvious that Selby needs another year at KU. However, the NBA drafts on "potential". The NBA drafts players that it thinks will be good in 2 to 3 years. Selby is that type of player. He's got the skills to be a stud in the NBA in a couple years. I certainly hope he sticks around Lawrence, but he's not a joke if he doesn't.

Selby wasn't mismanaged by Self (man, I'm really tired of hearing that b.s.). Self gave Selby plenty of opportunities...Selby didn't take advantage of the opportunities (with the exception of the USC game). That's why he didn't get a lot of minutes. Yes, he was injured and suspended at certain times throughout the season, but when he wasn't injured/suspended, he didn't do a whole lot to warrant a starting role or more minutes. Morningstar and Reed were both extremely consistent, which is why they got more minutes. They played excellent defense and didn't turn the ball over (as opposed to Selby, who barely played defense and turned the ball over a lot). I think KU would have lost at least 1 or 2 more games if Morningstar/Reed were used less in favor of Selby and I bet Bill Self would agree.

I hope Coach Self doesn't recruit any more one-and-done players (although, since he recruited McLemore, that doesn't appear to be the case). I would argue that Selby and Xavier actually hurt KU more than they helped (lack of experience mixed with trying to do too much on their own). IMO, that's why mid-majors and smaller schools are having so much success...mid-majors and smaller schools have players who stick around to become seniors. Many times in college basketball experience trumps talent.

Tony Bandle 3 years ago

The buzz is that if Selby declares, that enhances KU chances of landing Daniels. I wish Josh the very best and hope he realizes his dreams but I take that trade off in a nano-second.

Porter was scheduled to visit Kansas this weekend...I guess the ghost of Patrick Ewing still is strong in Georgetown. At least he blew off Misery as well!!

By sheer personnel strengths, HCBS may have to run and gun more than he ever has before. Utilize our strength on the perimeter to help the forward line. Lots and lots of steals next year would be grand.

Tyson Ailshie 3 years ago

I personally think that this could be the beginning of some great recruiting and developing. The key word being, "developing". I think, going forward, one and done players are better off going somewhere else, like Kentucky. The last two years, our one and done players, have not been able to "get it done" when it matters. I think the key rests in recruiting quality players with tangible skills that can be developed by our coaching staff and give us three to four years to establish a great team.

Ed Brown 3 years ago

It was a bit disappointing to not see Selby at the annual awards banquet but I understand if he could't afford it and is playing by the rules to avoid problems if he stays at KU. I think he showed great maturity in sitting on the sidelines because of the suspension, coming in at about halfway through the season and then hitting the freshman wall when the team was peaking. As a competitive as he is, though, I know in his heart he knew he could contribute more but time ran out with his late start. His confidence is down because of it and he is in Vegas giving his all as he did whenever he played for KU. He had moments of greatness and moments of being a true freshman. It would serve him well to go or to stay and we would be better with him on the team but he has to look out for #1. Best wishes Josh.

I was relieved to hear what Taylor was working through because it explains the roller coaster better than what I thought was lack of heart and soul on the court at times. I also understand if it was made public, any good coach would have exploited the weakness because you don't often get that opportunity with Kansas Basketball. Weakness and KU hoops don't go together!

RCJH Go KU

cajayfan 3 years ago

I am sick of Selby. Let's just hope he does not get injured and KU is stuck with him and his repeat improper benefits while in Vegas.

mstrausz 3 years ago

I hope that Josh does what is best for Josh. Wherever that might be.

I do however think it will be amusing if Selby has an average at best season at KU and get drafted well above possibly one of the best point guards KSU has had in the last two decades. If anything positive can come out of him leaving, if that is what he does, then that will be it.

KU is bigger than one player, but I would love to see Josh come back and earn him a spot in the rafters. I hope we all eat crow when he averages 18 pts, and 10 assists next year. It would feel great to be wrong.

Josh when he had his confidence at the beginning of the year had the swagger that Sherron brought. While I am not a fan of being just plain cocky, a team with some swagger is not a bad thing. I would love to watch him come back and play through the non-con and get in his stride. He would be a completely different player and be a lottery pick next year. Hope he has the courage to walk back in past all the haters and show us what he is made of.

Steve Gantz 3 years ago

My lasting impression of Selby is this. Blowing out Richmond, semi fast break opportunity and he does the moronic through the legs nonsense. In a sweet 16 game! Against Richmond!

I blame whoever was supposed to be a leader on that team for not running out there right then and dragging him off the court and letting him have it. That shot, and the apparent lack of a reaction from the teams' leaders (Self brushed it off in the post game) was as much a reason for the VCU debacle as anything that happened in the actual game itself.

It's been 26 years since I enrolled at KU and became a Jayhawk. I've never seen a KU team with less class and character than this years' edition.

Ethan Berger 3 years ago

Rivals shows that Porter is going to Georgetown. Shucks.

Kent Kossoy 3 years ago

What part of let him go do people not understand?? KU wasted money on Selby. I wish him luck. But his attitude and lack of play will not be missed. ONDs are a waste of time. This is KU not UK. Good bye Josh!

FTUCH3432 3 years ago

"Josh Selby will declare for the NBA Draft"

Any validity to this/this website?

CrimsonnBlueKU 3 years ago

I wish Selby the best of luck in his decision and no matter what, us Jayhawks should support our players no matter how short their stay is.

Clevelandjayhawker when did Otto announce Georgetown? Also what is the status on Daniels? Hopefully we hear from other recruits soon as the list of available good players are starting to get short.

WilburNether 3 years ago

I'm waiting for one of the idiot fanbois here to call for putting Selby's jersey number up on the south wall of Allen Field House.

Kye Clark 3 years ago

For those of you eagerly awaiting recruiting news with hopes that KU brings in Daniels, Porter, & Traylor, let me offer up this perspective:

With the players we have now plus those that are already committed, we have a pretty good team that isn't too short on depth. It looks something like this:

• Perimeter players: TT, EJ, Releford, McLemore, & Royce Woolridge. Enough ball handlers to cover the point and enough height to have players for the 3. (This is obviously assuming Selby doesn't return).

• Post players: TRob, Withey, Anderson, & Wesley. Not an abundance of game experience, but enough bodies to get the job done.

Now we all know Self tends to have a rotation of 7-8 primary guys once conference play starts. There are some question marks there, but it appears that we have enough to field a good team next year. Now consider the guys we are after this year and the loaded recruiting class of '12. Daniels is a 5-star, highly rated recruit, but he plays the wing where we have more depth. I've heard some debate on Porter, whether he is more suited for the post or the 3 (6'8" 190 lbs, awfully thin for the post). And as someone else pointed out, Traylor was most likely offered to sweeten the deal for Daniels' recruitment. If Daniels is as good as his ranking I think you grab that talent when you can, however the point is if you bring in everybody you have 3 guys in Porter, Traylor, & Anderson who are 3-star recruits and are left with only 2 (likely, assuming TRob leaves after one more year) available scholarships to offer potential recruits for 2012. The guys we are after include Perry Ellis, Kaleb Tarczewski, Shabazz Muhammed, & Nino Jackson. And consider you can always get in late on guys the caliber of Porter, Traylor, & Anderson should we miss on those higher rated recruits next year. So the prudent approach is to go after Daniels this year, but that should be it. If you have to bring in Traylor to land Daniels...I guess, and if we fail to land Daniels you can bring in Porter. I just don't think you fill the scholarships simply because you have them available.

Someone said while hyping up the Anderson commitment (and in response to some posters suggesting that we should temper our enthusiasm regarding him) that we should trust Self and his staff. My response was if you truly trust them, then you have to acknowledge that Anderson (as well as Porter & Traylor) wasn't exactly Plan 'A'. I'd just like to not see another case of Quintrell Thomas and Tyrone Appleton, guys brought in the last time we had a plethora of scholarships available, only to be a one-year stop gap and then quickly forgotten. And I'd hate to see us either not have enough scholarships to offer the studs of next years class, or appear to not have enough and have players sign elsewhere simply because it looks like we've got a full cupboard.

Joel Hood 3 years ago

I mentioned his name before - DeShawn Stevenson.

He committed to KU & bailed out late. Everyone thought he would fail in the NBA, but has stuck around for the past 10 years. He has had an up & down career, but this year is he is pulling in over $4 million. Define success however you want to, but when guys like this make it in the league, guys like Selby believe they can too.

I only wish the best for Selby, he didn't create the system, he is only working it and trying to make the best decision. My only concern will be the team chemistry if he returns to KU (I guess it didn't hurt too much when Rush came back in 2007.)

RockChalk26 3 years ago

Why is everyone hating on Selby? We all knew was a one and done player. Why are you so surprised he is thinking about going pro?

And don't tell me that he isn't ready. His game is not suited for college hoops. For example, take a look at the USC game where he put up 21 points in 27 minutes. It was his first game in a Jayhawk uniform, he didn't know the offensive sets all that well, it was his first time playing with the team in a real game situation, and he was playing with a shoot first attitude. (This style fits the NBA)

Towards the end of the season he learned the offensive sets, he began to understand his role on the team, his defensive skills improved, and he was playing with a pass first attitude. (This style fits the NCAA) This style of play is not suited for Josh.

I have a feeling he will do well in the NBA, much better then some of you a predicting.

RCJH!

Michael Auchard 3 years ago

After rereading this, I'm thinking more and more that Selby's thought process was that he was planning to get to the NBA strictly for monetary reasons. It's not a want-to-stay-or-leave issue at all. It's not a deal where he likes the campus or doesn't. He grew up in such a tough environment and was probably banking on being able to help his family out after one year. He probably feels pretty bad, feels like he's let down people close to him, now that he's not considered an obvious first round draft pick. He feels like he owes them and needs to get them out of violent, dangerous neighborhoods. Thus, why he's scrambling to find someone to help him get drafted. That kind of pressure I wouldn't want in a million years.

jayhawkinnebr 3 years ago

Good for Selby, I wouldn't want to stay around with KU with the way Self handled the team last year. This is the poorest coaching I have ever see at KU. Self is not the coach people thought he was. Maybe Self and Gill need to be looking for another job.

Jason Montgomery 3 years ago

Best of luck to Selby in getting some playing time in the D-League

Chris Bruning 3 years ago

yeah thanks selby for: 1. choosing KU 2. helping home streak stay alive vs. USC 3. your way-to-emotional dunk vs. Texas

i don't think you will play in the NBA but i definitely wish you the best!

Steve Kubler 3 years ago

No matter the claims coming in Selby entered college 'knowing' he was a one and done star that would go early in the first round. His first game he showed he had the capability, then life got complicated. His injury, the fact that everyone playing D1 ball is pretty darn good, and inexperience reached out and hit him squarely in face as it does the majority of freshmen.

But still in the back of his mind had to be the thought 'I'm going to the NBA'. He's human and he's young and the dreams are right there in front of him waiting. Many people are telling him he's ready, he has never been rich and with a word he could be. Or perhaps not maybe he is wrong, perhaps his ability is not enough or just maybe he is not where he needs to be to make his dream come true.

Confused yet? I bet not as confused as Josh is. Leave the kid alone, there are plenty of people telling him what he should do for right or for wrong. He doesn't need the whole world shouting at him.

Jonathan Allison 3 years ago

I just have to believe that Selby isn't coming back.

Maybe he hasn't made up his mind yet, but the signs are pointing to him not returning. Never mind the rumors about cleaning out his locker and all of that. The guy left campus for over a week to work out with other NBA draft candidates in Las Vegas. He was supposed to be back this week yet he stayed and missed the awards banquet (not a smooth move, and Sherron took a lot of flack for it last year). Tyshawn is saying that he doesn't really talk with Selby, and is saying that KU will be fine without him. His comment just seems a little awkward. You'd think that they'd be close and that Tyshawn would be trying to convince Selby to come back, but his comment doesn't suggest that at all.

I hope that Selby chooses to return, but I think he's gone and I'm OK with that too. Good luck kid.

nothing_but_the_truth 3 years ago

I just wanted to point out that at this point and time, Josh is still paying for his flight to and from Vegas on his own dime. Many already question whether he and his mother had the money to make that trip or if someone else paid for it. Well, imagine if he flew back for the banquet and then returned to Vegas for further evaluation. What would everyone say then?

Sure, I wish he would have made it back for the banquet. And I believe, if he had a lot of money he would have made it back. However, I totally understand why he wouldn't want to pay for another flight back and forth if he is not done working out or hasn't reached a decision. And I certainly don't think he is a bad person for trying to determine what is best for his future. After all, it is HIS future that is at stake.

I certainly wish Josh the best of luck with whatever he decides to do.

gchawk 3 years ago

It's good to know about Tyshawn's situation, hope he has a complete recovery. Playing with an injury like that, particularly on his shooting hand, is torture, so glad he did what was necessary to rectify the problem. As far as Josh goes, I wish for him the very best. I think at first I felt like a lot of people have stated, and that was that I felt a little scorned, or perhaps betrayed, because someone was actually thinking about leaving MY team, kind of like the betrayal of a partner, but I realize that I shouldn't really look at it that way. Ultimately Josh's goal was to make it to the NBA all along, and even though he didn't have a stellar year, I realize that I don't have the knowledge that the NBA scouts have so I don't know what all they're looking at, but I do know that "potential" is a huge ingredient in what they're looking for, and I believe that Josh has a tremendous amount of potential, and I think we all feel the same way. We, at KU, would just like to be the benefactors of his talents in Allen Field House, hopefully we will. Again, whatever you decide, Josh, I wish for you the best, but I truly hope you decide to stay at KU.

madamhawk 3 years ago

Josh-I hope your dreams come true. Thanks for choosing KU.

Is it October yet? "It's the most wonderful time of the year".

drwho127 3 years ago

According to Joedavismedia.com, Selby will declare for NBA draft but may or may not hire agent. Not really surprised as we were all talking about it for a while now. He had his locker cleaned up for a while now. http://www.joedavismedia.com/rcjb/?p=1704

KU_alum_2001 3 years ago

So Sullinger stays; Jones stays; Hensen, Zeller, and possibly Barnes stay; Plumlee stays; and Thompson, Brown, and possibly Hamilton stay... yet the Morris Bros. and (it would appear) Selby are going to leave? Son of a....

And I've spoken to a certain source in the LA sports agent industry that said the Morris Bros had matching Mercedes Benz's four days after KU's loss to VCU. Uggghhhh... just looks bad if it's true, and I have reason to trust this person. I'm not faulting them but it does lack a bit of tact.

Oh well, it's a business, right?

Rock Chalk either way.

Troll_or_AntiTroll 3 years ago

For Josh:

WACO, Texas (AP) -- Baylor freshman standout Perry Jones is staying in school.

Long expected to be the Bears' first one-and-done player, Jones instead Monday said he was returning to Baylor for his sophomore season, even though he will have to sit out the first five games. He likely would have been one of the top picks in the NBA draft this summer.

"I really believe that I can grow as a player and as a person if I stay one more year at Baylor University. This is a pretty tough decision," said Jones, joined by his parents for the announcement. "It was hard. I mean you see (NBA draft hype) and that is your dream all of your life. You see you can go number one. I mean, it is in the back of my mind but I know that this is the right choice."

Jones said another year of development "can only make things better for me."

The 6-foot-11 forward was the Bears' highest-rated recruit and played up to expectations. He averaged 13.9 points and 7.2 rebounds while starting 30 games, a school freshman record.

"As the basketball player, he has a special God-given ability in size and talent, but what really makes him special is the type of person he is and that is why his teammates were jumping up and down when he said that," Baylor coach Scott Drew said.

Teammates seemed surprised by Jones' decision, including rising senior post Quincy Acy.

"Quincy's jaw dropped," Drew said.

The only senior on this year's team that went 18-13 was leading scorer LaceDarius Dunn.

"The whole college experience with my teammates, that was a big part of this decision, having fun with them. Just enjoying everything, just enjoying life with them," Jones said. "I do not want to cut that short and just leave out of nowhere. I want to have another good time like I did this year."

Ethan Berger 3 years ago

Really guys, " How dare selby." Come on, before you make any huge leap, you see where you are. You test the waters a little bit. Selby In Vegas is a smart move for his future. If he can keep his grades up of course. If the scouts tell him he will be a sure fire 1st rounder, why should he pass it up? If they say go back and refine your skills, does that make him dumb for going? Hes getting an idea. Us fans werent in his life, we dont know what hes going through. We just see what is on tv. We get a couple hours a week to hear but he lives is life 24 hours a day. He should a come back, but its not like this kid grew up in money. Your life changes when guys start talking about giving a million bucks a year. Before you judge him, go through what he has and then tell me how it goes.

RockChalk26 3 years ago

He will be one of the smartest NBA players in the league :)

REHawk 3 years ago

Tyshawn, good luck with a quick recovery from the surgery. After coming back from the suspension, you played like a champion late season, even with the taped fingers. Fans are counting on you and TRob to lead this team to an 8th consecutive league title and another fine chance for a national title next season. Every step you take, dribble and shot you make, will be essential to your own professional opportunity. You are a very rare talented 4 year Jayhawk who will sign a pro contract with degree in hand. Give it your ultimate best these next 12 months.

William Blake 3 years ago

It must be tough pressure on these guys to go pro. Of course they want to cash in... but it's more than that. Some of these guys come from a tough neighborhood that is short on career opportunities... so the focus "on the streets" is playing NBA ball. And you can bet every distant wannabe cousin is in contact with them... hoping they go pro and share in the gravy.

Just listen to the twins... hoping to be on the same team. Very unlikely. And if they are, good chance one twin will get traded before ever playing. That's the NBA... No Boys Allowed.

There was a good NBA show on last night. I think on ESPN and it focused on a couple weeks of this season with the Boston Celtics. During that period they went through a trade and lost Perkins. The Celts are probably the best example of a tight family of players. Suddenly the game didn't look as glamorous... life on the road. It was a good show.

REHawk 3 years ago

Viggo, I think that is Justin Wesley, Langford's brother. That kid has now spent two years playing and practicing NCAA hoops. Gotta hope he can be counted upon for some dependable minutes next season. Jeff Withey, you have to beef up this summer and step up your game in the fall. We need your height, lots. And work on those freethrows daily! As for Selby, it is sad that his dreams got derailed this season. Jayhawks are good to go from the perimeter, with or without him. He is always going to be recognized as a Jayhawk. I wish him the best. Bill Self and Co. will land another big or two by August, probably before summer session begins. Pickings are slim, but I won't be startled to see another gem pop out of the woodwork. I like what I have read of Braeden Anderson's comments. He might be a year away from making much of an impact, but if he responds to Andrea and Danny in the manner of the twins he will develop into a stud, well beyond his 3-star rating.

phog 3 years ago

Josh is all set academically !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT A F'ing JOKE.......

El Jay 3 years ago

if Selby leaves I think thats a mistake. Im glad he came to KU, but to be totally honest, if his career as a Jayhawk is over, he really was totally irrelevant. I really dont think he made a difference in this season (except maybe one W against USC) but it wasnt all his fault. Im really not that worried about it one way or the other, however, Im a little annoyed that he couldnt make the banquet. I dont think the twins leaving means FOE meant nothing to them at all, but it sure seems like it doenst mean as much to Selby as it does to everyone else. That irritates me. I wish him luck one way or the other, but it bothers me that he couldnt leave Vegas for a night to come celebrate a successful season with his teammates, KU family, and coaches. Its probably the last chance he will have to be with that whole group at once again. Very disappointing, just like his KU career has been thus far. Hope he comes back and changes that

brad53 3 years ago

At this point I really don't know if Selby is a good fit at KU, he seems very self absorbed, and his attitude can be a back breaker for any jayhawk (player or fan). We all know he needs another year, but he certainly thinks otherwise. So all I got to say is good luck in the NBA Josh, your going to need it.

Viggo3003 3 years ago

Ok if I should know this sorry but who is the big guy to the right of Morris in the front of the picture? Is that Langford's brother? He's a big dude, what's his story?

hawkmaster 3 years ago

I don't know who "xfitter" is talking about, he needs to check the facts. KU doesn't have any committed recruits for 2011 or 2012 named Traylor or Portor, and DD is still looking at Duke! To assume they are coming to KU is stupid, especially given a slow and uninspired 2011 recruiting year. Otto Porter from Missouri, rated #97, is one of 10 Rivals.com top 150 recruits for 2011 that has not committed, but KU has not even offered him according to Rivals (Georgetown and Mizzou have offered), so I don't see KU getting him. Jamari Traylor, 2011 class power forward, hopes to make a decision by end of April. Only reason KU recently started to recruit Traylor and offered him, is he plays on the same team as Daniels. KU hopes that will help bring Daniels to KU, as Daniels starting to slip away from KU. Traylor is not rated by Rivals.com but has been offered by Indiana, St. Johns and others - - KU late to the table. Braedon Anderson was a good late grab by KU, but KU needs to add another big man for 2011 although the best of 2011 have long been committed to other teams.

tahawk81 3 years ago

I think what some are missing is this is going to be a very weak draft. If im Selby im going to take a good look at going pro as well. Next year could be one of the deepest drafts in history. To get to the second contract he would probably be better off coming back for a year. But if someone is going to take him in the first round this year he has to go IMO.

Woody Cragg 3 years ago

Gotta get some BIG guys to play the paint with TRob. Once he gets in foul trouble we're in deep caca. Too many teams play JB's Xtreme muscle ball & finesse will only go so far. Blue collar guys that will do the dirty work like Jackson & Kaun did. They don't have to be ranked on Rivals to do that, just willing to put in the blood & sweat to get better, and maybe stay four years to boot. JMO

hawkmaster 3 years ago

Whatever Selby does is fine, I'm not losing sleep about it! I'm not sold on these "one and dones" the way KU plays ball. Personally, I don't think X helped us much, a 6'7" spot up shooting wing didn't bring much to the table, anyone could have stood out there and shot 3's like he did. He probably won us 2 or 3 games, but where did that get KU in the big picture, a quick exit courtesy of NIU, where X did not show up. I would have rather Releford started instead of X, and developed Releford for the long haul. I know Self feels compelled to play a one and done if he gets one, because he wants to show future similar players they can start at KU. Bottom line, with team play being the focus of Self, a one and done won't dominate at KU like they do for Calipari who plays a pro dribble drive offense with focus on "individual" instead of team. In my opinion, KU is 0-2 with these one and done players, both X and Selby. As much as I despise Calipari, he gets them to play ball for him and it just isn't working for KU. If Selby declares for the draft this year, I doubt if he ever becomes an NBA starter or even a serious sub, he will fall by the wayside and remain a mere footnote in KU history.

xfitter 3 years ago

Ya it's terrible how Selby is handling his workouts for NBA teams, getting ahead in his classes so he could miss a week+ and still be in position to pass his classes. Or how about how he and his mom have been in contact with Self, and telling him their timeline for a decision. Absolutely AWFUL! How dare he keep jayhawk fans waiting on him!! Get over yourselves and YOUR need to know what he's going to do, he isn't keeping other players from committing here if they want to. Selby needs KU way more than KU needs Selby, we are stacked for next year. I really doubt Self is sitting next to the phone in his office waiting for Selby to decide what he's gonna do. Yes Deandre Daniels is "projected" as a wing in the NBA but what you are saying is that he won't fill out, add muscle and leave college another 20+ pounds heavier, where he could go inside and play the 4 position. If DD comes here with Bmac he will be put with the bigs to play a BIG small forward 3 position in the post, unlike Bmac or releford who would play a more outside slasher 3. Plus DD, Traylor, Anderson, and Portor are all within an inch of each other and within 10-15lbs right now, so you are basically saying none of our recruits are going to pan out as interior players and will all be wings based on their high school weight..... Hudy knows what she's doing and so does Self and Dooley, enjoy the remaining recruits we get in and trust the coaching staff to do what's needed!

Clarence Haynes 3 years ago

I see threads of cynicism in blogs about Josh. It goes without saying, this young man has gone through stuff that many us would not experience in a lifetime. I wonder how I might have handled it and perhaps many of you have to do the same. Of course I would love to see him return and develop under Coach Self and his staff, but let us give him the space to make a decision as to his path toward a lifelong dream and regardless of what it is, let us give this young man our total support. He has deservedly won my support!

Chicago_JHawk 3 years ago

I think we're a better team with Selby on it, but not sure his departure is the end of the world. It's obvious he'd rather be somewhere else, and the way he's handling the situation is awful. Hopefully he'll confirm today or tomorrow and KU can move on.

cobweb 3 years ago

I believe Selby and his mom said his first priority at KU was getting his degree. Oh.

Kevin Studer 3 years ago

If Selby goes now, he will spend the bulk of the year in the D-League. Ask Xavier Henry and Cole how much fun it is to sit and watch others play. Being drafted on potential means a whole lot of bench warming.

Jeremy Bolinger 3 years ago

I absolutely hate our front court next season................we are in a terrible posititon as far as depth goes. T-Rob and Withey? Who else realistically can play the 4 spot? We need Deandre Daniels on this team.

Michael Auchard 3 years ago

If Selby leaves, it's a mistake, bottom line. I hope he can see that. A year of him playing up to his potential could literally multiply his income as a pro. Nobody drafts a shortish guard off of HS potential after he couldn't perform in college.

Josh owes it to himself to come back and dominate, just like his pre-season rankings indicated he would, like he was supposed to play last year.

There are a lot of 6'2", 6'3" guards who turn it over a lot and throw up guarded threes. Not too many who play in the NBA, however. Even most D-League guards have handles better than what Selby showed off last year.

It's all the truth, but: Best of luck whatever you decide to do, Josh.

bayareajhawk 3 years ago

Come back, Selby! Do yourself a favor. You have the talent but it needs to be refined. You will be picked higher in the draft next year and thus make more money than you would this year. Also, what you learn in another year at KU will likely earn you an extra NBA contract at the end of your career when your athleticism starts to go.

KU will be fine without you, and you will be fine without KU. But both you and KU would be better off if you stayed for another year.

Scott MacWilliams 3 years ago

Hey, two nights in a row, first comment? there's something to be said for being a night owl on the left coast... I can't imagine trying to play effectively with a bunch of torn ligaments in my fingers. Fricking OUCH!!
TT was giving it his all, seems to me, not slacking as some have insisted. I'm glad he'll be back to step his game up and hopefully be healthy, strong and lead us to another NC. With TRob back and determined to make his own legacy (beyond having suffered the worst family-tragedy season of any Hawk in history), I wouldn't be surprised to see him making some all league, etc. lists next year. Sure, we will miss the power, communication and grace (not the tempers) of the twins. But with TRob stepping into the limelight, fresh faces 'Big Rock', 'Run BMc' and whoever else signs up to join the team, I think we're in good shape. R O C K C H A L K !!!

ldjayhawk 3 years ago

Selby is gone otherwise Taylor wouldn't have said the team next year would be good without him. Best of luck to you Josh, but unlike TRob who leaves a true legacy to jayhawk nation you are making a name for yourself as one of the most laughable jokes to have ever played at KU.

Our starting five next season: Jeff, TRob, Ben, Travis, TT. Should be a sweet sixteen team anyway!