Sunday, April 10, 2011

Hey ‘D’: need a lift? LB transfer Willis eager to hit field, wreak havoc for KU football

Kansas linebacker Darius Willis, center, raises his hand as he and other linebackers come together in a huddle during spring workouts at the practice facility on Friday, April 1, 2011. Willis is a transfer from Buffalo. At right is linebacker Jake Farley.

For most of 2010, Kansas University linebacker Darius Willis, a transfer from Buffalo, sat quietly and did his best to be part of the team.

But the metal bleachers he sat on and the short chain-link fence between him and the KU bench made it hard to be heard. That was on Saturdays, game days, when the Jayhawks struggled to a 3-9 record and desperately missed the kind of help Willis could have provided.

It’s not as if Willis was some kind of Ray Lewis clone who could have started right away and made 100 tackles from his spot in the middle of the KU defense. Not yet, anyway. But he could’ve helped. He could’ve brought depth to a thin position. He could’ve brought the kind of toughness that earned him all-state and all-district honors at Eisenhower High in Houston his senior year. He could’ve brought experience, the kind that made him the only true freshman to start at Buffalo in 2009 before an injury cost him the final eight games of his first season of college football.

Willis could have done a lot of the things for the Jayhawks last year. But the funny thing is, even without doing anything, he made quite a name for himself.

Speaking at his season-ending news conference a few days after the team’s loss to Missouri last November, KU coach Turner Gill laid out what people could expect from Willis in 2011 and beyond. He did not hold back.

“He already has shown tremendous leadership,” Gill said of Willis back in November. “I’m not only speaking on my behalf, but I’m also speaking on behalf of the players. I gave them a little survey and asked them to choose who they believed would be great leaders for us as we go into our offseason program. I think (Willis) gathered about 80 percent of the votes. That was kind of an eye-opening thing, as this guy was on the compete team this past season, but our guys have already spoken about him being a leader.”

Though he earned numerous honors for his behind-the-scenes efforts with the Jayhawks last season, Willis remained anonymous, little more than a name and a number, if that. He was named the compete team defensive player of the year, earned compete team player of the week status twice and compete team special teams player of the week another time. It helped. But only so much.

“When I was sitting in the stands, I would try to tell (my teammates) about the things that I saw that I thought could help them in the game,” Willis said. “You can give ’em advice, but you’re not really out there with ’em, so you don’t know if they’re really gonna take it or not.”

Six practices into spring ball, that’s no longer an issue for Willis, who plays like a man possessed and is obsessed with making up for all the time he missed by red-shirting last season.

“I’m looking forward to pushing this team to greatness,” he said. “I hate losing. And I know the rest of my teammates hate losing, so I’m going to push them just like they’re going to push me. If I mess up, I want them to be on me just like I’m going to be on them. We’re all in it together.”

It’s that attitude that has made the 6-foot-3, 243-pound Willis such a popular player with his teammates even though he has yet to play an actual down for the Jayhawks. He’s equal parts confident and camaraderie and he’s willing to work until he drops.

“Whenever you’re on the battlefield with your teammates or whoever it is, if you’re out there with them, they’re gonna respect you a little bit more than if you were just sitting on the sideline watching,” said Willis, a natural fit at middle linebacker. “My talent that I have, honestly, I feel like it can be world class. Knowing that I have two people on the outside that can support me and that rely on me, it kind of helps me and I kind of feel like just being out there with them makes all three of us better. Now that I’m actually getting back out here and getting into a rhythm, it’s starting to slow down and click again.”

Sophomore linebacker Huldon Tharp, a candidate to start alongside Willis this fall, missed all of last season because of a foot injury, added: “I’ve seen a lot of athleticism from him and I’ve seen a lot of want-to. I mean, he’s determined to be successful.”

Newcomers shine at scrimmage

KU played its first scrimmage of the spring Saturday morning and a couple of new faces made big impressions.

Freshman running back Darrian Miller, of Blue Springs, Mo., scored four touchdowns and was cited for great vision and speed burst. And defensive end Julius Green, a freshman from Houston, was credited with several tackles, including a handful behind the line of scrimmage.

“Julius has done some good things,” Gill said in a university release. “He’s probably not as far along as Darrian, but part of that is because running back is usually a position you can shine at quicker than on defense. Julius has some good things going on.”

Quarterbacks Quinn Mecham and Jordan Webb split the first-team snaps on offense, and Gill also said he was pleased with the speed on defense.

The Jayhawks, who have nine practices remaining this spring, will be off today and will return to the field Monday. The annual spring game is set for 1 p.m., April 30.

Comments

KU_Alumn_2000 3 years, 8 months ago

Tharp - Willis - Bakari - could make for a solid line-backing crew come fall.

We need more help with the d-line. If we can get the d-line to above average status...this team will start to rock.

kujayhox 3 years, 8 months ago

i really julius green will be a good anchor for our d line. with the speed we are bringing to the field next year, we should be a lot more competitive than we were last year

justinryman 3 years, 8 months ago

Speed, speed and more speed on D. I like it.

KGphoto 3 years, 8 months ago

The one thing you can't coach. And TG is filling the roster with it.

Yeeehaaww!!

KGphoto 3 years, 8 months ago

I just can't get enough about the stable of RBs. No QBs need apply.

Student body left. Student body right.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 8 months ago

1) look at the picture of the players, we are still horribly undersized. This drives me crazy! Look at them! They are linebackers and they look like a swimming relay team!!! 2) lb is from Houston so every Texas team/big 12 team/most sec teams passed on him out of high school. But he will be our savior?!? And if he's so good how did miller score 4 times aginst him and his d? 3) finally, pick a freaking qb! Gills had an entire season to watch them and he still can't decided!!! Pick someone, let the o work together for the entire spring summer and fall.

Kevin Studer 3 years, 8 months ago

Some of your points are fair (lack of size is a legitimate concern on defense). But the argument that a player passed on in Texas by other schools is underqualified is silly; everyone who has watched KU football for the past several years knows this (Briscoe, Talib, etc.). Not saying these guys are going to have that kind of impact, but you can't say he is a waste, either. And Spring practice is precisely the time to get a look at multiple players at each position, including quarterback. It would be ridiculous to pick a starter for the Fall now.

dahawk40 3 years, 8 months ago

6'3 and 243 lbs is actually a great size for a collegiate linebacker...

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 8 months ago

This isn't like AT sneaking out of the state to an up and coming big 12 team. This is a dude falling to one of the worst teams in division 1 football.

Dan Harris 3 years, 8 months ago

apher-don't go outside today the sky is falling.

Kevin Studer 3 years, 8 months ago

Your argument is flawed; so, if a kid comes to KU when you like the coach, he is sneaking out of the state to a rising program. If you hate the coach, the kid is falling into a pit. You are really reaching here.

Ben Kliewer 3 years, 8 months ago

So I guess Todd Reesing (who was considered a Dark Horse Heisman candidate his senior year) was from Minnesota, and picked Kansas over Florida, Texas, USC, and Alabama. Because no players from Texas, who were passed over by good teams, have every been a savior of a KU program.

KUfbfan4 3 years, 7 months ago

Willis had issues with eligibility out of high school. All of the Big 12 schools backed off and coach Gill stuck with him. He had to sit out of school the fall after his senior year. As far as I'm concerned that's a great evaluation of talent by Gill because it sounds like Willis is a definite upgrade at LB

ISellDrugs 3 years, 8 months ago

Willis was recruited hard by several Big XII South schools to play linebacker. Instead, he chose to go to Buffalo, where Gill told him that he would give him the opportunity to play quarterback. It didn't work out, and Willis ended up switching to linebacker for Buffalo his freshman season. Willis was considered by many to be Gill's best recruit at Buffalo, and we're lucky to have him. Maybe you should do some research before shooting your mouth off.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 8 months ago

User since today, info on willis, an incredibly fake/stupid username, and ultra defensive. Could you make it any more obvious?!?

DCJayhawk0208 3 years, 8 months ago

Not exactly. ISD is a regular over at RCT, and a level-headed poster to boot.

How about you address something in ISD's post without questioning who he/she is?

By the way, are you seriously inferring that a D1 football player would create a sock puppet to argue with you in a comments section?

ISellDrugs 3 years, 8 months ago

Let's see, where do I start:

1. User since today: Congratulations! I'm usually content to merely read these articles, but your uneducated & stupid comment made me register on here to post.

2. Info on Willis: I read this article and others like it: http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/article147502.ece

3. An incredibly fake/stupid username: I'm a pharmacist and graduated from the KU School of Pharmacy. Hence, I sell drugs.

4. Ultra defensive: I'm not defensive, just irritated with people who spout off about what they don't even know.

ahpersecoachingexperience2 3 years, 8 months ago

Thanks for choosing KU Darius! We will enjoy and need your contributions!

jhawkrulz 3 years, 8 months ago

I agree with alpherse on the QB situation. Last year, I agreed with trying to get the team to compete against each other. TG was unfamiliar with many of the players and switching the offensive scheme, I would agree he needed time; however, he has had these guys for an entire year now. He needs to decide and get that QB the reps required. Although many believe that the #1 QB is bouncing between Colorado and Kansas over the next couple of weeks.

I think in a number of comments last year TG mentioned that people need reps, and this is the time to be getting people reps.

gchawk 3 years, 8 months ago

This is great news, I just love a player with"hunger". A little off topic, but I noticed earlier that Pick's name wasn't even mentioned with the names of probable qb's, I trust he's still with the team, or have I missed something?

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 8 months ago

You mean the qb that walked away from arkansas and the fat man wanted to be reesings replacement? The one that gill picked to start the season after wasting all of last spring, summer, two a days, and every fall practice before the first game evaluating? He's now a receiver, duh!

kujayhox 3 years, 8 months ago

kerry meier was a better wr than a qb. he even made an nfl roster. sometimes players are better at a position in college than they were in high school. it happens.

Ben Kliewer 3 years, 8 months ago

We've gone over this several times, but maybe you missed it. That's okay. You're not a loser like the rest of us who spend WAY too much time on these message boards. Pick's a full time receiver. There has been at least one article that had a big focus on it.

gchawk 3 years, 8 months ago

Thanks for the info. I even went to the archives, but guess I didn't go far enough back. Thanks again.

ramsey76 3 years, 8 months ago

With Hawkinson shifting to RT who is our new LT? Spikes?

Dirk Medema 3 years, 8 months ago

Yes. Appparently he and Hatch are now a "trim" 300+, and showing lots of conditioning progress from the offseason. Maybe the year off got him hungrier than years past. I also seem to recall hearing that Hatch was never 100% last year, tho some of that may have been weight induced.

troutsee 3 years, 8 months ago

If only all of us were as wise as ahper. Whoops. I should not have said that. He probably thinks I am serious.

Rivethead 3 years, 8 months ago

Willis has a TON of potential. We just have to hope he can stay healthy. Dude has had a career plagued by injury (Sr. season in HS, almost all of his Fr. season in college).

Gregor Southard 3 years, 8 months ago

I remember Terry Allen bringing in his mid-major recruits to KU. That worked out really well.

John Randall 3 years, 8 months ago

nashhawk, you need to be more tolerant -- half of these posters can't remember anything before OB08, or that it was the only winning season in conference since -- uh, I forget, but it might have been pre-Snyder.