Originally published April 10, 2011 at 01:17p.m., updated April 10, 2011 at 01:31p.m.

Forward Braeden Anderson commits to Kansas

photo

Rivals.com contributed photo

Braeden ANderson, a 6-foot-8, 215-pound power forward, committed to Kansas University on Sunday, April 10, 2011.

Braeden Anderson, a 6-foot-8, 215-pound senior from Wilbraham and Monson Academy in Massachusetts, orally committed to Kansas University on Saturday.

Anderson said he chose KU over Kentucky, Arizona, Missouri and Memphis.

Anderson, who recently made a campus visit to KU, committed to KU assistant coach Joe Dooley during an in-home visit to his home in Okotoks, Alberta, Canada, on Saturday night. Anderson, however, asked Dooley to keep it a secret so he could inform Self of the decision on Sunday morning, which he did.

"Coach (Self) was fired up. He said, 'It makes my week. It makes my month now,'' said Anderson, who made a campus visit to KU on March 8. "This wasn't really planned, but everything felt right. When coach Dooley showed my parents the videos, it reminded me of my visit, and it felt like it was time to commit. I mean, I'm fired up. I honestly can't wait to be part of the family in Lawrence."

Anderson, who said he is a "face-up four man," averaged 20 points and 11 rebounds this past season.

"The best thing about my trip was the Fieldhouse," Anderson said. "I'm really looking forward to playing in there."

Of possible immediate playing time, he said: "When I saw the (Morris) twins sign with agents, it was an eye-opener. I'll let hard work and play do my talking. I'm sure coach Self and his staff will make the decision on my playing time. I want to do what I can to win another championship."

• A previous version of this story was updated.

Comments

Tim Quest 7 years, 11 months ago

Alberta's a pretty damn big place, Gary. Care to be more specific?

Tim Quest 7 years, 11 months ago

Thanks. And thanks, editors, for adding that to the story. Us (former) Canadians appreciate it.

(I mean, you wouldn't just say "an in-home visit in Texas, USA"...)

Troll_or_AntiTroll 7 years, 11 months ago

Happens to be one of Lawrence's official sister cities. Strange coincidence.

Tony Bandle 7 years, 11 months ago

Holy Crap!!! This kid is a pretty good "get". I think the Morris twins going pro has opened a lot of recruits eyes. If we can get Daniels and Otto, I would be thrilled.

RockChalkDoc 7 years, 11 months ago

I, too, am excited about Anderson. I would be ecstatic, however, to get Otto. I live just 12 miles from Otto's school, and my father graduated from there in 1961. I have watched the Porter family play basketball for the past 34 years, the first year being 1975-76 when his father, Otto Sr., led the Scott Central Braves to their first of 15 state championships. His father, an uncle, or he were on 14 of those championship teams. The gene pool isn't too shabby on his mom's side, either. She led the Scott Central Bravettes to one of their 7 state championships. Enough history.

While many people question Otto's competition level, he has performed superbly against Dallas Lincoln and nationally ranked Chicago Simien. To grab 35 rebounds in the state championship final (with a continuous clock the entire fourth quarter) is quite an accomplishment. He scored 38 and had 20 rebounds this year against the 7th ranked team in 3A this year when Coach Manning came down to see him earlier this year. Rumor has it that Manning was down again on just four days ago on 4/7, before Otto left for his Georgetown visit. It has been said here many times that Otto has been an MU lock even with Anderson's departure. I get the feeling that he is leaning toward Gtown with KU a fairly close second. If Otto could have made it to just one game to AFH this year, I think we would be sitting in the driver's seat.

Otto is an honor roll student, a very nice young man on and off the court, and a team player. He is currently 6'9", but is still growing. A few bloggers have talked about him playing the 4, but he is currently a TRUE 3 for D1. Forget the 29.9 and 13. He shot 76% from the field and was 7 for 9 from 3 point range. Hudy will have some work to do. Much more than Manning. But this kid is a HARD worker. And he wants a good college education. I am almost postive that Otto would be a Four and Done. When Otto visits in the next several days, Head Coach Self needs to work his magic and hit another home run and convince Otto that KU is the right fit for both Otto and KU.

Tony Bandle 7 years, 11 months ago

Holy Crap!! This kid is a pretty good "get'. I think the Morris twins commiting has opened a lot of recruits eyes. I would be thrilled if we could get Daniels and Otto also.

100 7 years, 11 months ago

Ahperse....

After all this time I would like to formally apologize for presuming you to not be a KU fan. I feel you have proven yourself to be a basketball fan at this point.

As for football, what do you have against Gill?

He just smacked Missouri, the Purples & 6 other big 12 schools in recruiting this year.

I understand the frustration the first couple months after the hire, but after Tubberville was implicated in hundreds of handouts at auburn, isn't it time to support Gill?

The man represents our values very well & is bringing in speed only three or four teams in the Big 12 have a shot to compete with in the coming years. We've never had speed like this.

So my question is... If you support KU basketball so well, which for the most part you seem to....

Do you have a reason to really "hate" Gill?

Because at this point it appears that's all it is.

In NCAA football, speed wins championships.

Gill is bringing it in.

Give him a chance Ahperse....

John Randall 7 years, 11 months ago

Save it, 100 - that ahp%^&* guy is still the same kind of kid who couldn't wait for Christmas to have the latest game-player toy. By next week, something else will catch his fancy.

Jim Roth 7 years, 11 months ago

I was pleasantly surprised to see Dr. Jekyll emerge during basketball season after reading Mr Hyde's comments all last fall. His basketball comments were often thoughtful and reasonable, but his passionate hatred of Coach Gill and need to make disparaging remarks whenever the opportunity even remotely arises are perplexing.

Cmill1221 7 years, 11 months ago

I love ku but I will never be a gill fan. I got to agree with ahperse about Gill. You can't lose to a D1AA school, or whatever they call him. The point where I lost it was the southern miss game where in 1st and goal we only had 3 men on the line. That was it. Gill had no clue what was happening. I hope I'm wrong about him.

redlegger 7 years, 11 months ago

Welcome Braeden! You have an excellent attitude - "...I'll let hard work and play do my talking...!

Looking forward to seeing you bring your game to Allen Fieldhouse!

RCJH

mandomax 7 years, 11 months ago

huge boon for Self and Dooley, snagging up one of the very few remaining big men to fill up our front court. I can't wait to watch this kid develop!

Andy Tweedy 7 years, 11 months ago

I just checked out ESPN's evaluation of this kid. I'm paraphrasing, but they said he is extremely gifted physically with a really high ceiling but needs to learn how to play more with his back to the basket. Now, I don't know everything, but I am fairly sure this is someone Danny can coach up. This sounds like a pretty good find and someone who will be around a while to develop. ESPN went on to say this is someone who could be a "devastating" pick and roll option. Nice job, staff!!! I propose we play Oh, Canada before all our homes games. Best national anthem around, and I'm not one ounce Canadian...

Dan Pawlowski 7 years, 11 months ago

You know , putting another countries nation anthem before ours does not a traitor make. Its just a song. Get a grip. Truth be told "God Bless America" is a much better song than the national anthem and I am sure a lot of Americans would agree and the beauty of it is that in America we can have that opinion and not get thrown in jail.

Steve Gantz 7 years, 11 months ago

The best national anthem is the one belonging to Jayhawk Nation, Rock Chalk Jayhawk KU.

notigers4me 7 years, 11 months ago

Well it appears the reloading is continuing. Welcome to Kansas Braeden enjoy the ride.

bradynsdad 7 years, 11 months ago

Wow. That kind of came out of nowhere. Anyone got any video of this kid? Great news for us. Now to get deandre or Otto and we will be looking good again on our frontline.

JHAWKNPHX 7 years, 11 months ago

Here we go!!! Nice job coaches. I bet all the Kensucky fans are crying right now and then will say they didn't want him anyway...

BA- welcome to the family RCJHK!!!!!

Kye Clark 7 years, 11 months ago

Yeah you know that's what they'll say, since he isn't a McDonald's All-American, 5-star recruit.

HawkTronic 7 years, 11 months ago

And I'm thinking with Sasha, the current/former BBall players look pretty good for a hockey match-up. Try to get in front of the net with our blue liners.

waywardJay 7 years, 11 months ago

With Jon Cornish being a two way defensive forward, we are two canadian burners from being a solid line.

HawkTronic 7 years, 11 months ago

Maybe Tharpe? He IS from MA/VT. He may have gotten some ice time.

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 11 months ago

Kentucky didn't offer him a scholarship...but maybe they recruited him before landing 3 recruits in Rivals top 6 including Anthony Davis 6'10 220 lb forward and then Kyle Wiltjer 6'9 225 lb forward who rounded out Rivals top 25.

UKfan2011 7 years, 11 months ago

Kentucky didnt recruit him until early February 2011 when DePaul released him from his letter of intent in January 2011. Braeden signed with DePaul back in November. UK might have two scholorships available with Knight and Jones leaving early for the NBA and Braeden could possibly had one of those two scholorships.

SELFANATIC 7 years, 11 months ago

Anyone else hear that sound... it's the sound of bullet cases dropping to floor as Self reloads the revolver!!

Ben Kliewer 7 years, 11 months ago

According to ESPN, this kid has some pretty glaring weaknesses, however, it sounds like nothing some work with Coach Manning can't take care of. The bottom line is, he needs a good post coach to teach him how to be a beast, and then he will be a beast... I can't think of a better post coach in the country than Danny Manning, so good for us!

Ben Kliewer 7 years, 11 months ago

I should've said, good for us, and even better for BA, he get's to work with these incredible coaches!

justinryman 7 years, 11 months ago

Well of course he has some glaring weakness according to ESPN, he didn't pick Duke or Kentucky.

If he had went to either one of those he would be the first pick of next years draft, and the best player ever to come out of Canada, but he chose Kansas and I'm glad he did so now ESPN has to make it look like KU can't recruit or something to that degree.

C'mon we aren't on the East coach or coached by a slicked back hairdo used cars salesman that ESPN thinks is the best coach ever, and has yet to win a title or have any record in the Final 4 stick. The power that Dickie V has on basketball at ESPN is a joke.

JRandall 7 years, 11 months ago

Have 2 agree with ya bout DickieV. I used to really enjoy him and the energy he brought to the broadcast.... now, I can't just listen to him keep plugging the Dukies and Coach Cal... it's not only irritating, it just sounds like an infomercial and $$$'s .

JHawk74 7 years, 11 months ago

C'mon best player out of Canada ever? I don't think anyone would say that. Let's see a two time NBA MVP named Steve Nash is from Canada.

justinryman 7 years, 11 months ago

UHHHH did you read what I was saying? I was saying if he went to Duke or Kentucky then ESPN would call him that. I did not.

Hold on still looking for the sarcasm button on my keyboard, I thought the said this new one had it??

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 11 months ago

He wasn't offered a scholarship to either school but I'm sure Manning will have this guy ready for D1 and the NBA in no time. I know Steve Nash flies under the radar with 2 MVPs and Rick Fox with 3 Championship rings but Braeden has some work ahead of him before most experts crown him Canadian King of the NBA.

justinryman 7 years, 11 months ago

What I was saying was an "IF" not that he did, or they did, just an "IF"!! Talking about how ESPN glamorizes all things Duke and Kentucky.

REHawk 7 years, 11 months ago

Bill Self inching closer to hs bases loaded homer. Welcome aboard, Braeden.

treed14ku 7 years, 11 months ago

http://www.joedavismedia.com/rcjb/?p=1685 Read the part about Anderson's FB comment. And look at the idiotic UK fans comment. Doesn't understand the concept of "top 5".

milehighhawk 7 years, 11 months ago

WOW!!!! That is incredible. I'd assumed Daniels was a lock for Duke, but WOW.

Yeah the UK fan is a moron.

MimiHawk 7 years, 11 months ago

Wow! Great link... I'm lovin' BA's fb comment !

Dale Kroening 7 years, 11 months ago

Yes !!! Been saying it for 2 weeks now he's coming. Welcome to KU Braedon !!!!!!!!

Dale Kroening 7 years, 11 months ago

I meant Braeden, not Braedon. Traylor and Daniels next, or Traylor and Porter ? Or possibly sg Lacey ? We are in good shape either way !

David Howell 7 years, 11 months ago

Not in good shape yet ............ Still missing at least -2- more quality bigs. Right now all we have is TRob and some fresh BIG meat. Preferably we get -2- more top quality bigs so that at least 2 of the 3 pan out for the Hawks. I still say we can't count on anything out of Withey. He showed no visible improvement this year, why should we expect improvement by next fall ?!

Dan Pawlowski 7 years, 11 months ago

All we have is TRob? Are you nuts. He was a beast most of the time this year and with more playing time the man, yes I said man, will dominate. Get some perspective.

mispay4ku 7 years, 11 months ago

The thought of next year continues to become more exciting with every reload! Welcome, Braeden!!

John Randall 7 years, 11 months ago

I understand HCBS feeling this is great news. Kid from Big Rock is the kind who knows where he's been and what it will take to get where he's going.

On top of his talent and even better potential, Braeden Anderson has the smarts to look at the total package. He chose Kansas, didn't he?

John Randall 7 years, 11 months ago

Not sure I buy your "back-to-back homers" analogy, but it does seem like the bases are filling up nicely.

justinryman 7 years, 11 months ago

And now the Jayhawk Nation will grow into Canada and that will be a nice addition to the fan base.

Another reason it's good to be a Jayhawk!

J.F.L.

Brian Powell 7 years, 11 months ago

great attitude and mindset: that's hard to teach/change! The rest will come...

KGphoto 7 years, 11 months ago

Nice to know he can palm the ball. Something the twins could not do.

Robert Brock 7 years, 11 months ago

Face-up four: code for inability to post up?

justinryman 7 years, 11 months ago

Actually if you watch some of his highlight film on youtube, he's a poor mans Derrick Williams, he faces up and has good ball handling skills and gets to the rim. NOt as strong as Williams of course, but he does drive in the lane very well. Has a soft outside shot too.

Get him in the weight room, work in the post with mr. Manning and well just imagine what this kid can do for KU!

Dan Pawlowski 7 years, 11 months ago

Who cares what ESPN says about him . Several "experts" at ESPN were saying how VCU did not belong in the tournament. Besides Vitale, who I never cared for, Jay Bilas was among those and called their selection "indefensible" . Bilas has always been one of my favorites for his knowledge but after his opinion about VCU I have learned to take all ESPN opinions with a grain of salt. As for playing back to the basket, I can't remember that last time I saw any big come out of high school with anything resembling a good back to the basket game. Thats what they learn in college and if he can't learn that with Manning he can't learn it anywhere.

justinryman 7 years, 11 months ago

I will say this about VCU getting into the Dance. Their body of work for the season was not good enough to get in. 4th in their conference and didn't win the Conf. title.

But when they got there they took advantage of the moment and seized it and showed that they could win.

So Bilas was right, they didn't deserve to make it. But once they were in, they proved they belonged. It would be like saying Louisville dosen't belong in the tournament next year because they got beat in the 1st round this year by Morehead St. Their overall record and body of work this season says yes they did deserve to make it. Their loss to Morehead St., was just that a loss, and in a lose and go home atmosphere, that's gonna happen.

But I agree about ESPN, their talking heads and their East coast rite they have started to try and convince everyone West of the Mississippi that the East coast is the only place sports is played.

Maybe ESPN needs to have ESPN.com/ruralville, just like they have espn.com/dallas and chicago????

Dan Pawlowski 7 years, 11 months ago

I will say that I agreed with him on Colorado deserving to be in before VCU.

Chris Shaw 7 years, 11 months ago

I think Lebowski made his point pretty clear! Crystal? Crystal!

Chris Shaw 7 years, 11 months ago

By the way, just making "A Few Good Men" reference.

Ben Simonett 7 years, 11 months ago

This kid is not the type of player that can "plug and play" right away.

if it wasn't for our dire need for front court depth i would bet a years salary this kid would red shirt.

but thanks for calling me out though, its not juvenile to hold a grudge for 3+ month at all.

Ben Simonett 7 years, 11 months ago

i get in so many debates with biased homers on this forum its hard to keep track of who i fought with when. so attacking my math skills because i couldn't remember the date of that post? again, very mature.

and if you consider this recruiting class,as is, not missing on the recruiting trail, then you must be very ignorant of the recruiting process and the level KU normally recruits at.

please feel free to make additional personal attacks against me as it only weakens your position on the subject of debate further.

Ben Simonett 7 years, 11 months ago

you called me out personally, questioned my math skills, a stated i was a "uptight puckered up ahole"

i said your were biased and ignorant.

lets let the casual observer decided who took the high road shall we?

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 11 months ago

They have him listed as a 3 Star not in the top 150 but Self usually gets the right players to fit into his style of play and we have the right coaches to develop his skills and muscle strength needed for success...

KEITHMILES05 7 years, 11 months ago

Let the record show Daniels does NOT play the 4 or 5; he is a 3. Hence, his position has NOTHING to do with any of the bigs! This stupid nonsense he's a lock for Duke is so dumb. They are sooooooooooo loaded at that position it defies logic he would commit there. He no doubt is going to take a look because his coach is the son in law of Duke K. So, that is all it is. Rest assured he won't be a Dukie and all likelihood a Jayhawk. Relax people and learn to research the truth instead of believing RUMORS!

Chris Shaw 7 years, 11 months ago

Keithmile: I think you contradict yourself with your statement, Keith. You mention DD isn't a 4 or 5, which you're exactly right, but then you mention that it's stupid for DD to be a lock at Duke because they are loaded at the position? At what position is Duke loaded? The "Rush Spot" or "3"?

Duke just lost their "3" in Kyle Singler so Duke most definitely needs a SF or a "3". Yes, Duke is loaded at the "4" and "5" with all three Plumlee's and Ryan Kelly, but they don't have anybody that can play the 3 outside of Dawkins. With Dawkins, Curry, Thornton, and Rivers they will have a solid backcourt which could mean they play 3 guards like KU did this year. IMO, I am worried that Duke has the available position that could sway his decision. He just may not have the academics to get into Duke. Duke does have Alex Murphy (Kyle Singler Jr.) coming in next year (2012), but Duke may want a quick fix with DD, which makes sense.

Chris Shaw 7 years, 11 months ago

Yeah, I forgot about Gbinije, but I wouldn't think a player like Gbinije would scare off DD too much. At least I wouldn't hope so.

DDDHawk 7 years, 11 months ago

Welcome to the Jayhawk family, Braeden! You won't regret your decision!

Gregory Newman 7 years, 11 months ago

None of this matters. If this great coaching staff as yaw call it doesn't teach the mid-range game and the dribble drive nothing changes. Manning is handling his but those other 3 uhmp not!!! Butler runs the exact same offense but the guards have good court awareness of where to shoot and dish and when they drive they punch on the gas and know when to pull-up and not charge.

lee3022 7 years, 11 months ago

Since you write "yaw" it is perhaps evident that this is not your school or site? If that is wrong I welcome your source of knowledge and its success at championships in the NCAA?

This is not about Butler. KU did not play Butler. Coach Self does recruit and train up some really good guards who have had success in the NBA as well as the excellent record he has in the NCAA. I am trying to think of an NBA guard (Hayward is a 3) who played under Coach Stevens? Deron Williams is a pretty good standard for Coach Self.

It is also amusing that KU had the #1 eFG% as a team this year and the #6 efficiency offense. Butler was the #130 eFG% team with the #50 efficiency offense. (kenpom.com)

Dan Pawlowski 7 years, 11 months ago

Dribble Drive. PALEESE. You sound like a disciple of Calamari. There is nothing to the "dribble drive". It as a pitiful attempt at making a simple concept sound like a complex strategy. Sounds a little more thought provoking than "take the ball to the hole, draw the defense and then kick it out". Go back to your Kensucky sites.

mojayhawk 7 years, 11 months ago

Dribble Drive is another term for "one on one" basketball, the type that is learned in AAU ball. Easy to teach that offense. Be selfish, drive and shoot if at all possible. Impress the scouts with individual play. The term is saved for the coach who has final four seasons wiped off the books, and will caught again, this time in Wildcat country.

DRsmith 7 years, 11 months ago

Wow, some of these comments crack me up. So Self "reloads" with 3 star recruits? Good luck with that. This kid doesn't come close to replacing what you lost last week. In fact, the only way you stay top 10-15 next year is to get Daniels.

cklarock 7 years, 11 months ago

lol

Hasn't this been the same nay-sayer's line for the last several years? Ya sad little hater.

ajhk 7 years, 11 months ago

Arizona landed a 6'8", 3-star recruit a few years back. His name is Derrick Williams. I think he did ok this year as a sophomore. Don't you?

DRsmith 7 years, 11 months ago

For every Derrick Williams there are hundreds of 3* nobodies. If it were a team like VCU, I can see them getting excited, but not KU.

Kye Clark 7 years, 11 months ago

Must be one of those bitter Kensucky fans who are trying to convince themselves that they didn't really want him. I'm sure they probably didn't, because Calisleazy doesn't develop talent. He brings in OADs who would have gone straight to the pros if they could, uses them for one year, and they leave no better than they were when they came.

The thing to understand about UK fans is that they have a massive inferiority complex. Top dog in basketball in a conference where basketball is a distant third, to football and football recruiting. It's why Kensucky fans try and make such a huge deal out of the basketball recruiting, trying to hype it up because they see what a big deal that is for the football schools in the conference. They know that the football schools could care less about their banners in basketball, so they have to troll other basketball schools' boards to try and make themselves feel better.

While it's true next year will likely be more of a rebuilding year, it will still be better than Kensucky's rebuilding year of slumming in the NIT. And having 3-star talent with upside can be good. Ever heard of Derrick Williams? Not ranked in the rivals top 150 or espn's top 100, and he was as good as anybody this past year (as a sophomore).

UKfan2011 7 years, 11 months ago

Actually Derrick Williams was ranked # 72 in final ESPN poll, but dont let the facts distort your point of view...funny thing about the SEC is in the past 20 years, they won the NCAA basketball tournament 5 times from 3 different schools - Big 12 teams have only won it ONCE!!!! Best yet, UK is ranked anywhere from # 1 to # 3 in next year's preseason poll even with the possible early departures - watch the Jordan Brand Classic this Saturday and you will understand why!!! Davis #1...Gilchrist #3...Teague #7...Wiltjer #18

Kye Clark 7 years, 11 months ago

I stand corrected on the ESPN rankings, but not the rivals. Regardless, even at #72, he was not projected to be a star, which was the point of my point of view.

As for the SEC and their basketball championships, I was not saying they aren't good in basketball. Again you have failed to grasp the concept. To sum it up, aside from Kentucky there's not a school in that conference that wouldn't trade a basketball championship for a football championship. Despite however good they've been and might be in basketball, it has been and will continue to be an after-thought to football.

And for your third swing and a miss as to what I was saying, I was not trying to indicate Kensucky was NIT bound next year. The rebuilding year I was referencing was your Billy Gillispie NIT team. I was saying KU's rebuilding year will be nowhere near as low as yours was (or UNC's, or UCLA's, or Florida's...)

Anyway, thanks for playing...please come again :)

smcpmarine 7 years, 11 months ago

Hey Doc....stars don't matter at KU. The best five see the floor under HCBS system. Im pretty sure Reed and Morningstar weren't 5 star recruits, and they won alot of games for KU. Meanwhile, Elijah and Withey who ranked relatively high in their class, still played behind Tyrel and Brady. Again....stars don't matter, IMHO.

Ben Simonett 7 years, 11 months ago

ya, and how did those 3 star recruits in brady and tyrel do when they actually ran into some athletes at VCU?

Michael Auchard 7 years, 11 months ago

Morningstar & Reed played and defeated far better athletes than anyone on VCU's team dozens of times over their careers. Most likely, some of those better players were on whatever team you root for when Kansas thumped it. VCU got hot when we were not. Too bad. It sucked. Moving on.

Despite what some people have been saying, a loss does not belittle anything those guys accomplished. No team won more games during the duo's years at the University of Kansas. The only people who try to drag down the program are either outright haters or fans at other major programs that realize EXACTLY how good this program has been performing and have been getting more and more nervous.

Thank you for showing interest in my favorite team, though.

Trey Hohman 7 years, 11 months ago

Any news on Mr. Selby & his NBA ambitions? I imagine Mr. Daniels is waiting to hear word on what he does before making his decision. If Selby goes, I think we get Daniels.

Chris Shaw 7 years, 11 months ago

I'm not following your logic here, lhohman? Not understanding your angle here.

Selbyville 7 years, 11 months ago

I think he means that we will lack starpower to some extent if Josh leaves, and that Daniels would be more likely to come and fill that void, regardless of them not playing the same position

David Howell 7 years, 11 months ago

So Selby is a STAR ? Or possibly a star in the making ? Had to ask since Selby the STAR didn't check in this last season ................. Now with a lot of hard work, he might just live up to his Rivals/ESPN high ranking. Or did his gambling trip to Vegas make that decision for him ??

Chris Shaw 7 years, 11 months ago

Maybe Selbyville? Most recruits now days want to play with other good/great players so they can showcase their abilities, win right away, and show NBA scouts they can play cohesively with one another.

Considering Selby and Daniels play completely different positions I'm hoping lhohman wasn't thinking about "Touches" and "Getting the Rock" by Daniels.

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 11 months ago

I'm not sure what Selby does makes any difference to Daniels since they don't play the same position.

Chris Shaw 7 years, 11 months ago

I wish KU could land that Lacey kid from Alabama! It is known he wants to go to UK, but if Lamb stays that kind of puts a wrench into the UK plans I would assume. I think Lacey is a lot like Lamb. Both Lamb and Lacey aren't the most athletic guards, but they are crafty and can shoot the hell out of the ball. I just don't see them playing together on the same team.

With that said, playing on a young Alabama squad with young Releford at the point may be quite attractive. After all, "Playing Time" is the ultimate factor for these recruits.

Selbyville 7 years, 11 months ago

How can your point be that playing time is the ultimate factor when two posts above you say that recruits like playing with other top recruits to showcase their cooperation? A contradiction indeed

Chris Shaw 7 years, 11 months ago

Not at all, Selbyville! When you have Marquis Teague, Anthony Davis, Mike Gilchrist, and Kyle Wiltjer all comitted to UK because of "Playing Time". These kids want to showcase their talents and show they can all play together. Brandon Knight and Doron Lamb could stay and still make this roster work without any problems. The only way one of these recruits gets upset is if Terrence Jones stays, thus putting Wiltjer on the bench for a year. I'm pretty sure Wiltjer wasn't expecting Terrence Jones to stick around for his sophomore campaign.

My point Selbyville is that "Playing Time" is the ultimate factor for any recruit and it doesn't matter if you bring in 4 or 5 top notch recruits as long as they don't play the same position and have to compete too hard for playing time.

DD and Selbyville don't play the same position so IMO there shouldn't be any possible rift or delay in DD's decision if indeed there is anything behind DD waiting on Selby to make a decision. I'm just not buying that angle.

A contradiction it's not.

Selbyville 7 years, 11 months ago

Whether or not Jones stays, the boat at UK is already pretty full, and I think DD can't be thinking that he's going to get enough tick to live up to his top 15 status. Whereas a Selbyless Kansas team has much more to offer a guy like DD than UK in terms of showing up and being part of the core of the team. And in that regard, couldn't he still showcase his ability to play with other great future pros at KU? It's not as if we have a team full of scrubs, it's just that UK gets all the top 30 meatheads that want nothing more than to do what they want for a year then go to the league

Chris Shaw 7 years, 11 months ago

Currently, the UK tank is pretty full and you're right. But you think those 4 2011 recruits thought all 3 in Jones, Knight, and Lamb would all stay? Not a chance.

Yes, Top 15, Top 20, and Top 25 guys all wait and see based on where their peers commit. Last year, CJ Leslie, Harrison Barnes, and Terrence Jones were all waiting on one another to commit schools and using the wait and see approach. Yes, I'm sure the other two were pretty much waiting on what Barnes was going to do, but none of those 3 wanted to play together because they all play the same position and they were all Top 15 guys.

DRsmith 7 years, 11 months ago

I would be surprised if Lacey ends up at UK. Acutally, if the kid gets qualified it will be a major accomplishment.

David Howell 7 years, 11 months ago

You are probably right about getting qualified. Thus Lacey ends up at UK. They seem to have a knack for getting the necessary paperwork lined up so that their recruits get to play at least a year at UK. Then magically the NCAA finds something wrong with a transcript or some previous information they should have found finally comes to their attention .............

KansasComet 7 years, 11 months ago

Kansas is Basketball! No need to worry-ever! Those that aren't us wish that they could be!

HawkTronic 7 years, 11 months ago

Using the nickname for a Kansas football great for your handle as you proclaim Kansas is Basketball?! Miss Morrissette, we have another verse for you....

lee3022 7 years, 11 months ago

What? KansasComet cannot be a football and basketball fan? KUSports.com uses the same sign-in don't they?

HawkTronic 7 years, 11 months ago

No malice. Just having fun. Rock Chalk!

Ben Kane 7 years, 11 months ago

great get for BS, plus gives me something to rib the kentucky fans about. can't wait to kick their tail first game of next season. welcome to KU Braeden.

waywardJay 7 years, 11 months ago

We still have young Elijah and his Jersey waving in Rupp for that.

Classic comedy.

Trey Hohman 7 years, 11 months ago

Kushaw, it seems like the 2 & 3 positions @ KU are interchangible on the perimeter, similar to the 4 & 5 positions. They don't play the same position, but in a way they do many of the same things offensively. And I think Daniels' biggest question at this point in the recruiting process might be "Hmm, who is going to be the main perimeter scorer if Selby stays? Probably Josh." Also, between Selby, Thomas Robinson, Elijah J., Tyshaw & BMac -- there won't all that many shots left to take, with Josh mostly likely taking the greatest amount of shots of all the perimeter players next season....I basically don't think Daniels will want to come to KU if he's getting less than 10 shots a game & if Selby stays, I don't know if he will....But this is all simply spitballin' on my part. Maybe I am wrong.

Most good/great recruits seem to want to play with great player who are in their same graduating class. IMHO it doesn't seem like they get too hyped up with players already on the current roster, as much as they seem to enjoy the idea of coming in fresh with 2-4 other top 20 high school players, and thus trying to turn the program into another Fab 5, etc....Btw: I love Lacey too. Reminds me of a young Joe Dumars.

obsessedjayhawk 7 years, 11 months ago

Wow! Bill Self is beast at getting recruits! When I saw Anderson I almost instantly compared him to Cole. I he's a bit shorter but I think he has the same build. And he visited KU on my birthday!!! Lawrence is truly awesome and I'm glad that we have all the history of KU. :)

Trey Hohman 7 years, 11 months ago

....I'm assuming all of this Daniels/Selby projection on the fact that Daniels would play the 3 position next year -- because @ 190-205 lbs. he's a liability defensively @ the 4 spot. Plus, he loves shooting 3's & breaking down undersized 3's with his surprising quickness & first step. From watching his tape, I think he's most dangerous at the 3. Maybe if KU staff can convince him of lots more playing time @ the 4 position if Selby stays, but again, where are his shots going to come from & will he want to gain the weight/muscle necessary to play the 4?

(also forgot to mention Releford next year, who will most likely be playing 15-20 mins/gm....Maybe Releford will be ok with taking less shots like Elijah J presumably, but Releford playing @ the 3 would be another player taking minutes away from Daniels @ his natural 3 position.)

Chris Shaw 7 years, 11 months ago

Chalmers, Rush, and Arthur all had plenty of shots to go around to make everything cohesive. Actually, Rush, who we all thought "Clogged the ball"..........was too unselfish to a fault. I don't see a Selby/DD conflict at all.

I mean, Sherron Collins averaged 12 FGA per game his senior year and everybody thought he shot too much. The KU team averaged 58 FGA per game that same season so I couldn't imagine anybody wanting it like it was in 2010, right?

There will be plenty of shots and plenty of opportunities if DD wants to come KU and coexist with Selby. What matters is how efficient you are in the attempts and FG opportunities you get.

2008:

Rush: 10.35 FGA per game Chalmers: 7.95 FGA per game Arthur: 9.85 FGA per game

UConn 2011:

Kemba Walker: 18.02 FGA per game Jeremy Lamb: 9.12 FGA per game

Jack Wilson 7 years, 11 months ago

A few things. Stars do matter. They're not definitive. But the likelihood of a 3 star guy becoming a star is low. Anderson is not a shining point of any recruiting class at an elite program. Could he develop? Sure. But he isn't a top guy.

But the reason we ended up with Anderson is because we struck out on the top guys. Just fact. Anderson is perhaps that girl you went to prom with after getting turned down by the really hot chicks. Shoot, might turn out to be the best one after all, but you wouldn't bet your paycheck on it.

Perhaps we can just show some realistic, tempered enthusiasm. And with Manning, et. al. coaching the post guys, we have reason to hope.

waywardJay 7 years, 11 months ago

Wow. Someone was a lethario in High School.....

Your cynicism astounds me. We don't like to lend credence to the European Sock Puppet Network, but you want to look at a guy who got it and knew the "place to be" look at Shane Battier. This kid could be our Shane Battier. Willing to do anything for the team, Very effective defender, IQ + and an underrated star power. He got in there and did things "right" at Puke, and made a successful run out of it.

Name me a list of Successful NBA players from Duke and Shane Battier better Top 5 on that list. Any NBA team will take him, and they regret trading him.

Our best example of a player LIKE Battier, is Christian Moody...... Consequently, we have lost to inferior teams because we Don't have players that would show that kind of Work ethic. We have people willing to add size, develop Jumpshots, increase foot speed speed, but no one who routinely works on the cerebral basketball cortex like Battier did. Granted, Battier was a flop artist and a pansy in the NCAA's. Imagine if someone worked their basketball cortex and their Hudizing at the same time.

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 11 months ago

As usual, HEM hits the nail on the head. We all hope Braeden becomes a star but Self needs some bodies and there aren't a lot left. Big difference between cynicism and being realistic.

David Howell 7 years, 11 months ago

I see HEM's points and others. Rating services should be taken with a grain of salt. Did Selby really deserve the ESPN # 1ranking last year ? Most would say NO, especially after his freshman year. Was he # 1 based on true skills or in how he performed against his competition which may have been against lackluster high school teams ? Just saying ........

As for recruits I have to believe that athletes probably don't view HCBS as highly as parents do. The kids are always going to be drawn to CaliSleazy, Coach K and our old coach Ol' Roy. I've not always been a fan of HCBS offensive sets at KU, and maybe just maybe recruits feel the same way.

Michael Auchard 7 years, 11 months ago

FYI: Selby was ESPN's #5 rated player last year. Harrison Barnes was their #1.

Selby was, however, Rivals' #1 prospect.

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 11 months ago

Self has been really good w/developing talent..I still trust his judgment. As for Selby, maybe with a different team he might have done better. I thought the player/coach relationship was strained. Only those on the inside really know.

lee3022 7 years, 11 months ago

Perhaps too much reliance on scouting services here. Jordan Taylor was a three star and did well for Wisconsin this year. Ditto Miles Plumlee for Duke.

The scouting has been excellent for a long while here and although not every player works out we do need to realize that the staff knows much better than the scouting services what a player can do in KU's system. I never want to denigrate any recruit. If you have watched the youtube listed above you might get a better impression than from the star ratings.

Jack Wilson 7 years, 11 months ago

I watched Selby's videos and was thorougly impressed, too. The degree of "rah-rah" and lack of simple realism, as jhawk7782 suggests, astounds me. It doesn't astound me for waywardjay .. not much logic in that melon ..

It is curious that you would make your judgments from youtube.

If you look at rivals, they are right a great majority of the time.

waywardJay 7 years, 11 months ago

Interesting take you have that I have no logic....

And yet all I suggest, It's nice to see some one who has the potential to be a learning champion as well as an athletic champion at the same time.

Players like Tyrel emphasized a tremendous amount of determination and an ability to hit the weight room, but never ended up doing the WOJO and drawing 2-3 charging calls a game.... Not to Glorify those Bald Domers on the network, but this sort of IQ is something we lack even in our most scholarly.

If this kid can become a full nelson defender with even Bryant Nash's upside as an offensive player we could be great.

It would be nice to see us take a charge or two here and there.

It's still people's eyes, youtube or rivals.... Case in point, Tyshawn Taylor was 77th in his class, What were Brady and Tyrel ? and yet these were the guards Self went to this year.... Instead of number 1 overall Selby and number 24 Johnson.

Yeah, yet they get it right most of the time..... Keep on Trying, Low Elitist.

63Jayhawk 7 years, 11 months ago

It always surprises me that Coach Self and his team are able to land quality recruits at the end of the recruiting season. I know he has been recruiting the 2012 class hard. Aren't Tyshawn Taylor and Conner Teahan the only seniors on the squad next year? Seems like there may not be many scholarships available if Coach Self signs five this year. With the early NBA entries, planning for recruits must be a nightmare for the coaching staff.

Ben Simonett 7 years, 11 months ago

I know all the homers are going to call me names for saying this, but i have to be honest

anyone who doesn't think this signing is a reach for a program like KU is delusional.

Self is getting desperate, he's grasping at straws to fill a roster with gaping holes, but there is no one left to go after.

look at Self's previous classes, at this point, this years class is by far the worst one self has brought in considering how many scholarships he has to offer.

not to all you delusional homers who will read into this what you will: IM NOT SAYING SELF IS A BAD RECRUITER OR THESE RECRUITS ARENT GOOD. im simply making the truthful statement that this class does not stack up to the classes before it.

Kevin Studer 7 years, 11 months ago

This kid fills a role. At worst, he will be an inside presence off the bench. Isn't depth always one of KU's strengths? He doesn't have to be a star. And if he had an offer at UK, too, I'm guessing he isn't too much of a reach for a top program.

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 11 months ago

I agree cusack..giving this kid 4 yrs at KU in the hope he will develop his skills is well worth not signing a kid w/NBA potential.

waywardJay 7 years, 11 months ago

It's not complete Benny. You are right if this is the home run power forward of the future, we will have a soft bench behind Thomas and Jeff ( if Jeff's ready ), but I don't think Bill's done just yet. keep in mind he has a commitment from Peters from 2012 who plays the low post. He's likely not going to go to heavily on aircraft carriers, with Peters coming and Withey potentially blooming. What we need.... Are formidable power forwards..... a big 6'8 240 kid would be a lynch pin in this. Not many are this build but Otto Porter could be the kid if he hits the weight room. Between he and Braedan ( it's going to take me four years to spell his name correctly ). we might have Sasha and Darnell type building blocks again, instead of Blue chip post players in Blooming ( Cole and the MOrri )

Dan Pawlowski 7 years, 11 months ago

Calling you any names would be pointing out the obvious. But that could get me a job at ESPN.

DRsmith 7 years, 11 months ago

Bravo bennybob, a grounded KU fan. Just being realistic will get you killed in the comment section.

BigAl 7 years, 11 months ago

If this were such a "reach" why would schools like Kentucky and Arizona be after this kid? Not to mention MU and Memphis. Obviously, DRsmith and bennybob know more about recruiting than the fine folks at KU, UK, Arizona and others.

Haters gonna hate.

Ben Simonett 7 years, 11 months ago

those schools you mentioned have already solidified a top recruiting class, there interest in this kid was merely to add depth to the class and hence they're recruiting efforts were not very vigorous as losing him would not hurt them at all.

Self on the other hand, went after this guy hardcore because he has blatant holes in his front line and is running out of options to fill them with.

So no, i do not know more about recruiting than UK, Arizona, MU and Memphis. but it is obvious i know more about it than you.

enjoy the cool aid. homer

BigAl 7 years, 11 months ago

I highly doubt if you know more than I do about this recruiting. You have already shown me that you think you know more than Self, Calipari, etc.... You don't. You act as if the twins going pro caught Self by complete surprise. You can't be that ignorant. But then again, after reading your comments, maybe you are.

Cool aid. Just another copy-cat reply. Obviously thinking for yourself doesn't seem to work for you.

Move along young'un. Grown ups are talking.

Ben Simonett 7 years, 11 months ago

no the morris twins leaving didnt catch Self by surprise, thats why he went after lebryan nash, angelo chol, norvell pelle, and now otto porter.

he missed on all of them, and was forced to reach for anderson.

again, i don't know more than self or callipari, but i do know that this kid was not "plan A", hell he wasn't even plans B,C, or D for that matter.

For a program as prestigious as KU, settling for your 5th or 6th option at a position is not acceptable. that is, unless your koolaid drinker who thinks self can do no wrong.

Annette Lee 7 years, 11 months ago

Look at how well the Morri worked out. If BA can roll with the coaching and not get frustrated in the non con, and grow like Cole did, then hey we got a front line.

Annette Lee 7 years, 11 months ago

Mike Kendall 7 years, 11 months ago

Holy jet skis, Batman! Coach Self, nice catch! The kid will be playing early in the season. I saw the you-tube clip of Braeden Anderson. Holy crap! I am very pumped! Welcome to Jayhawk Nation, Braeden. Work hard in the off-season and you will reap the rewards. Rock Chalk!

Kyle Cornish 7 years, 11 months ago

Hope this doesn't scare away Daniels, even though Daniels is better.

Dale Kroening 7 years, 11 months ago

Why would it scare Daniels away, he plays on the wing while BA plays in the post.

Jaminrawk 7 years, 11 months ago

Sweet. If we can get Otto Porter or DeAndre Daniels in here this team is going to be a monster yet again next season. They're already looking pretty darned good though. I find it high comedy that Stan Simpson signed with Memphis just a few hours after Anderson committed to KU.

Dave Benjamin 7 years, 11 months ago

To go along with the same theme as bennybob and HighEliteMajor, I'm also keeping my expectations on recruits like Anderson and our recruiting as a whole somewhat tempered at this point. I wouldn't go as far as saying we're "grasping straws" and making desperation moves, but our overall depth and player development over 2-3 years has sadly hurt us in recruiting despite how ridiculous that really sounds. Blue-chippers want to play now and can't wait more than a year to do what HCBS and crew really want them to do long-term. It sucks that Self does it the right way and we miss out of bigger names, but we seem to have figured things out with guys like Sasha Kaun, Russell Robinson, and Darnell Jackson who developed with coaching and time. My concern with this class is why guys like BA and McLemore both changed schools mid-senior year. I don't know firsthand what the in-depth reasons were, but these have to be red flags to some extent. Maturity, focus, and overall leadership have been the culprits in the last 2 tourney flame-outs and Tharpe seems to be the only one so far who has stuck around his team and has been regarded as both a talented player and a solid locker room guy. Just saying.....

Ben Simonett 7 years, 11 months ago

darnell and sasha were highly tanked 4 stars, rus rob was a 5 star.

you can't just develop any old player, you have to develop TALENTED players to win championships.

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 11 months ago

Quite Benny...nobody wants to hear the truth.

Kye Clark 7 years, 11 months ago

I'm with HEM to an extent on this. To me it reminds me a lot of the '08 recruiting class - so many scholarships available and not filling them until the late signing period. This is not Self's fault. Coming into the season it was maybe 50/50 that Marcus would be ready to turn pro after the season's end; less so with Markieff. And the early thinking was that Marcus, even if he was ready, would stick around because Markieff would not be ready. So how do you convince the top post players to come here when there is a very real chance they'll sit for a year behind TRob & the Twins? It was nearly impossible. As kushaw has been pointing out, available playing time is the coin of the realm in the recruiting game, and Self had nothing to lure these kids in with during the early signing period. Almost all of the blue-chip, 5 star talent had committed early, especially in the post. Angelo Chol was the only relatively high-rated recruit that committed late, and he was only rival's 76th ranked player. In '08 Self got lucky to land the Morris Twins after they de-committed from Memphis. What I sense might be happening with this year's recruiting class that is similar to '08 in another respect is that Coach Self is simply grabbing as much of the available talent that he can and hoping to bridge the gap to the '12-'13 season, but there will be a couple guys who won't stick, and will end up transferring at year's end. They'll see the writing on the wall, with Zach Peters coming in and maybe Perry Ellis or Kaleb Tarczewski and will know they will never be more than the 4th big off of Self's bench. We could very easily see another case of Quintrell Thomas or Tyrone Appleton.

I'd also agree with HEM that it is unlikely 3 star players blossom into your stars. It has happened before (I mentioned Derrick Williams as an example in a previous post). The thing I would say to that is this - you don't need a team full of stars to win. Does anybody think UConn had a bunch of stars in their frontcourt? Or how about Duke the year before with the Plumlees? In the post more than anywhere else you can get away with having non-stars. You need solid players to rebound and defend. Also I would say this - you can build the foundation of your team with the non-marquee talent. Think about the '08 team. The seniors - Kaun, RussRob, & Darnell, those were our foundation. Then you add stars around them. This is also what many fans have been asking for, particularly in the wake of Xavier & Selby. To not focus on the OAD-level talent and to instead recruit guys that will develop into solid players.

So no this wasn't the flashiest of committs. But it could turn out to be an important one.

Hank Cross 7 years, 11 months ago

It looks like a solid, but not spectacular pick up. He'll probably will be a reliable contributer for at least 3 years and will add some stability when TRob likely leaves next year.

Dale Kroening 7 years, 11 months ago

Alec Burks and Corey Higgins were both "only" 3 star recruits, so lets not look to far into him just being a 3 star guy. BA gets to be coached by D. Manning and he will be here 3-4 yrs. This kid will be solid.

Spencer Goff 7 years, 11 months ago

Yeah, I really think Tad Boyle cleaned house with his "three star" recruits. I'm hoping we have the same situation here. Besides, you know Coach Self and Danny are going to work on their big men.

Welcome to KU my man!

Michael Auchard 7 years, 11 months ago

Those two weren't Boyle's recruits. Bzdelik recruited them both.

Jaminrawk 7 years, 11 months ago

I'm not worried about the "three star" thing when KU, Kentucky, and Arizona were recruiting him. He had visits scheduled to all three schools. These schools don't arrange visits for scrubs.

Joe Baker 7 years, 11 months ago

http://www.joedavismedia.com/rcjb/?p=1685 Posted earlier to reveal some stupid uk fan's ignorance. I find Anderson's facebook and comments really telling.

This is huge. Not only do we have Anderson, but note what he posted on his facebook page. He has Daniels coming to KU too.

I really like his comment after the post. "I may know something..." Daniels and Anderson were in the Pango high school competition together. We also have Christian Garrett as a walk-on. I really have a good impression about Daniels. I'm not too sure about Porter but we have a great chance to land both Daniels and Porter. Anderson was always a Jayhawk if the Twins left for the NBA. He was waiting this whole time on the Twins.

Thanks Braedon and Welcome

Rock Chalk

Trey Hohman 7 years, 11 months ago

Kushaw, Yes, I agree. If anyone can get a group of All-Americans/awesome individual talent(s) to play team ball it's Bill Self -- but remember, the 2008 Nat. Champs played only 4 guards playing the 1-3 positions all season. (Chalmers, Russell Robinson, Rush & Collins.) This 2011 already fields 5 players @ 2-3 guard position with Selby in lineup. So maybe my thinking isn't only that Daniels will have a problem with the amount of shots/gm but also with the amount of mins/gm...?

The 2-3 position(s) only play a total of 80 mins/gm.

EJ (he'll play 10 mins spotting Tyshawn @ point guard and then play the 2 guard for appx 15 mins more?) Selby (30/min/gm @ 2) BMac (20 min/gm @ 2-3) Releford (15 min/gm @ 2-3-4?) (not even counting Conner T) = that's already 80 mins total.

And now.....Daniels?.....Someone in this 2-3 position grouping is going to be the Jeremy Case of 2011-2012 season if Daniels signs with KU & Selby stays -- so maybe someone transfers or Bmac doesn't wind up signing, I dunno.....but if Selby leaves for NBA, then it opens everything up for everyone, especially Daniels...BTW: I like Selby & don't want him to go, but Daniels has to be adding up the potential minutes in his head..

xfitter 7 years, 11 months ago

I don't even know where to start with your potential failure of a lineup for next seasons starting 5 and the bench players replacing them. Self doesn't look at slots like that for his line up, he breaks up players into bigs and guards and puts the best options on the floor whether that 3 is a player like Marcus or a player like Rush, we used Tyrel at the 3 a lot with Brady because those were the sharp shooters at the start of the season and its what we needed there because Marcus was needed in the post. The 2-3 position isn't an issue next season because Releford and Bmac will be the first two players looked at for the "3" slot, but Releford is going to have to be beaten out before DD or Bmac got the nod before him. Bmac can also be used at the 1 & 2 which is notoriously interchangeable with Self coached teams. IF selby stays, which we don't need him, he will split time at the 1-2 with EJ and TT. That's the end of discussion towards that. No matter who else we get we should be long, quick and hard to guard. I expect the players that buy into defense fastest will pick up the slack minutes from who they didn't beat out for a position on the floor. My guess is we get Portor and DD or Jamari Traylor in addition to what we have already.

loyal2thaphog 7 years, 11 months ago

I started to read into the 3* rating that BA has attached to his name, but ratings are nothing more than opinions. As mentioned earlier, one can go no farther back then last years recruiting class and take Alex Burks for example or the year before with Derrick Williams. This kid grew up playing in Canada.That probably means he grew up playing against smaller and less talented players. Also, there is the exposure aspect to consider. A kid that spent the majority of his time in Canada is not going to get the same kind of exposure as the kid growing up in NYC or SoCal, so the rating could very well be skewed. My belief is that BA has a ton of upside. I don't like that hearing that a kid his size is weak offensively in the post and doesn't rebound well. But, those are some of the easier things to teach/improve. If the kid has range from 15-18 feet, he should be able to mastery the 3-5 range relatively quickly. Rebounding is a matter of technique, being in position, and having a knack for knowing where the ball is going to come off the rim...very teachable. Is it possible that BA not only played against inferior talent up in Canada, but the coaching was subpar as well? Although many of my opinions rely solely on speculation and hearsay, I think they are not without some basis. At the end of the day, you can't teach motivation, dedication, or willingness to learn. If BA possess all three of these traits, the sky's the limit. Who knows what a year at KU under Self, Manning, and Huddy will do for him.

Kye Clark 7 years, 11 months ago

A couple of things to point out:

-Burks was a sophomore this year as well, so you'd go back 2 recruiting classes for both him and Derrick Williams.

• While there may be an amount of truth to the lack of exposure in Canada, remember that both Cory Joseph & Tristan Thompson are from Canada, and were ranked #8 & #17 by rivals last year.

Otherwise solid post.

Jonathan Allison 7 years, 11 months ago

You make a valid point about T. Thompson and C. Joseph.

I don't know much about these Canadian players, but it sounds like BA came stateside his Jr year to make a name for himself in recruiting. An article that came out this morning references his AAU coach. But could it be that he has only had one season of AAU ball to make a name for himself here in the states?

I don't know if Joseph and Thompson played in the states, or if there were in AAU, but if they had 2 or 3 AAU seasons and 3 or 4 high school seasons to play in front of college coaches and scouts they certainly would have had much more opportunity to get their name in the market.

It seems like a lot of the time, a guy's ranking goes up significantly just based on where he played his high school and AAU basketball...

lee3022 7 years, 11 months ago

Perhaps the most frequent posting here (beyond those who are welcoming) is that this signing is a reach and not good enough for KU. I strongly disagree.
  1. The signing indicates that the player is adjudged suitable for KU's system and culture.

2. The rating by the scouting services is mostly rubbish as attested by years of mis-evaluations. Tracing back the All-league selections to their ratings when recruited is an interesting eye opener.

3. The personality and work ethic is at least as important for this team as the bb skill level.

4. The training, both in the weight room and on the court, is perhaps the best in the country. Today we are looking at raw material. Tomorrow we will be thanking all that is for these players. Thomas Robinson. Markieff Morris, Marcus Morris. Cole Aldridge. Wayne Simien, Nick Collison. All big men who were trained here and have achieved success, at least to be drafted in the 1st round in the past or near future.

5. The school and the education here is superb. Along with the academic levels, the student body has year after year been substantially down to earth folks that you want for your neighbors. Turning our Academic All-Americans is more gratifying than AP All-Americans. Coaches are tuned to this aspect in their selection process and I am glad.

6. Let us reserve any judgment about a recruit until he has played at least a year in the system (much better - two years). These are our guys and I am one to trust the staff.

Kye Clark 7 years, 11 months ago

I like the optimism of your post and many of your points. That being said, I wouldn't be too quick to throw the scouting services' rankings/ratings out the window. They aren't definitive, but they are a useful tool. Look at the players that the elite programs go after first...4- & 5-star players. It's why coach Self is still after Deandre Daniels, and he wasn't even looking at Braeden Anderson until he failed to sign Angelo Chol and he came to the realization that he would most likely be losing the Twins. So if you trust the staff, you have to acknowledge that this wasn't exactly "Plan A".

That isn't to say that 3-star players aren't good players, but they rarely become stars. Pointing to examples like Alec Burks & Derrick Williams only reinforces that point. 2 players out of how many 3-star ranked players the past couple of years? Looking at All-League selections is misleading. The biggest factor in becoming All-Conference is a high scoring average. Someone has to score on these other teams, but put them in a balanced offense with more than one option (like KU), and many would simply be mediocre. Consider that on the '08 all-big 12 team were Curtis Jerrells and Alex Maric. Good players, but they weren't better than Arthur, Rush, & Chalmers...all of whom made the second team. Why? Because KU spread the ball around and didn't have any players putting up inflated stats.

And pointing out all this isn't a slight to Anderson. I'm glad we signed him and think he'll be a solid player. All some of the posters are saying (myself included) is that we should keep this in perspective and not think we just landed a superstar. Maybe he turns out to be one, but we'll see.

Lex Valdez 7 years, 11 months ago

welcome to the jayhawk nation mr anderson! rock chalk!

arcticjhawk 7 years, 11 months ago

Loving the Canadian presence! Make us proud! Rock Chalk!

drwho127 7 years, 11 months ago

Getting Anderson is huge. Manning will develop him in 2-3 years. Our strength and conditioning trainer is a woman I believe and she has been doing wonders with our bigs. Jackson, Arthur, kaun, Morris twins, robinson.

Otto porter is 6'9" 200 lbs..hard to believe espn has him listed as a SF! After reading this article..I really want this kid to be a jayhawk next yr. He skipped the AAU circuit to workout at home and in area camps and avoided the trouble you can get in with recruiting and money issues that go on with other kids. I respect that. He was on an official visit to georgetown this past weekend. He is down to ku, mizzou, and georgetown.

Jamari traylor is PF at 6'8" 215 lbs. He is also from IMG academy and could come to ku along with Daniels. He is also considering Indiana, mississippi st. And st. Johns.

If Daniels goes to duke, then I hope we can get traylor and porter. I also can see Daniels and traylor committing. If porter and Daniels both want to come, that's fine with me. Porter can play 3 or 4 spot. I dont see Lacey coming to ku..he will prob stay in the SEC. Bottom line, I want a combination between Daniels, porter and traylor. If we had room for all 3..and could get all 3 to come, that would be a grand slam. But thats unrealistic and has a slim chance..but who knows...selby could declare for the NBA draft.

I am also excited about releford for next season. He could finally breakout. Also, Keith Langford's step brother Justin Wesley 6'8" sophomore transfer from Lamar univ. He is 6'8" 180 lbs. Who knows what he can bring to the table. And walkon 6'3" Christian garrett..he averaged 14 pts 7 assists, 6 rebounds at IMG academy. Those are some solid numbers..he may be like morningstar for us. Withey needs to quit being a withey and not get injured during offseason and in the months leading up to the season! Next couple of weeks are getting exciting!

Dan Pawlowski 7 years, 11 months ago

Her name is Andrea Hudy and she has been awesome and a key member of Selfs team.

Ben Kane 7 years, 11 months ago

my response to the doubters is this: if Bill Self is excited, then so am i.

sokanhawk 7 years, 11 months ago

Anderson is a great committment. Nice to get a guy that Kentucky wanted badly. The best news of this is what Anderson posted on his facebook page after committing. He said, "Daniels might just go to KU. I may know something." This would be just what we need. Can you imagine a recruiting class of Tharpe, McLemore, Anderson, Daniels, and possibly Porter?!!

Scatterhawk 7 years, 11 months ago

One of my favorite quotes from a college coach- and I'll probably have to paraphrase because I don't remember exactly how he worded it- was from Jim Boeheim about Andy Rautins. Syracuse fans weren't happy with Rautins' play and were saying that Boeheim only put him on the team because his dad played for Syracuse. Boeheim scoffed at the notion and bascially said, "We don't waste scholarships at Syracuse".

My point being that neither does KU waste scholarships. I'm not saying that Mr. Anderson is going to come in and be Wilt Chamberlain, but if Bill Self thought highly enough of him to offer him a spot on the squad he's obviously a worthwhile basketball player. I look forward to seeing him in the Crimson and Blue.

KULA 7 years, 11 months ago

He also offered Quintrell Thomas and Tyrone Appleton scholarships and then asked them to leave when something better came along.

Dan Pawlowski 7 years, 11 months ago

"asked them to leave" do you have insider information? Because they way that played out publicly is that they wanted to leave to get playing time somewhere else.

BCRavenJHawkfan 7 years, 11 months ago

I've got to show how amzingly thick headed I am on this and a host of other recruits. The family lives in Canada but he goes to school in Massachusetts? Private school?

waywardJay 7 years, 11 months ago

Probably something along the lines of a Prep School.... better basketball competition, more rigid training, potentially better grades...... Alot of Kids go this route in the USa... Live in one state.... go to school in another state.... Guess the borders are open to this sort of free trade... Case in point.... There is a College in Missouri that brings in alot of Young Canadians for Hockey.... Surely, there are a few kids in this Area that can play hockey, but not enough or good enough to give a formidable team.

Michael Auchard 7 years, 11 months ago

All three of our recruits at this point have come from prep schools. This looks like a sign that Bill is going for the most mature, tough players he can get. Or it's just a coincidence, but I doubt that.

LJ Gee 7 years, 11 months ago

Stoked about this signing! I know he's only a 3 recruit and I might not be as excited if he were a 3 guard, but I have so much confidence in Manning as a post coach that I am not in the slightest bit worried, especially since he didnt touch a basketball till his sophomore year of high school and all his 'concerns' as a recruit are things that are easily teachable. BA has a really high ceiling and a ton of potential right now - there is no better place for him to develop this potential than KU. Now if we can just get one more big recruit - everyone is really high on DD but Id rather have Otto Porter - we would be in really good shape. It seems like a really long shot right now, but Trevor Lacy would also be a great addition if we could swing him somehow. A recruiting class of Tharpe, BMac, Anderson, Porter and Lacy would be RIDICULOUS!!! Either way, I like the way this class is shaping up A LOT!!! Rock Chalk