Originally published April 5, 2011 at 12:00a.m., updated April 5, 2011 at 10:01a.m.

Little brother says KU recruit Ben McLemore LeBron-like

Kansas University recruit Ben McLemore smiles as he sits in the crowd for KU's game against Miami (Ohio) University on Jan. 2, 2011.

Kevin McLemore stood to the side and watched with pride as his big brother, Ben, orally committed to Kansas University over runner-up Missouri at a news conference Sunday at Sears Centre in suburban Chicago.

“He’s the next up-and-coming star of the family,” cousin Richard Boyd said of Kevin, a sophomore guard from St. Louis’ Normandy High. “Hopefully, in two years we’ll be doing this again.”

It’s too early to tell if Kevin McLemore will emerge as a major-college recruit. One thing’s for sure: He will play college ball if KU-bound Ben has anything to say about it.

“He has helped me a lot. He showed me a couple moves,” Kevin said.

Does Ben remind his little brother of anybody?

“I’d say LeBron James,” Kevin said. “He loves LeBron James. We’ll be going against each other, and he’ll say he’s LeBron James.”

Of course, there’s no way the soft-spoken Ben McLemore, a 6-foot-5 guard out of Houston’s Christian Life Center, would ever hint he is a LeBron in the making.

“I think Ben is one of the most humble, unselfish kids I’ve ever had the pleasure of being around,” said Darius Cobb, McLemore’s AAU coach, formerly of the St. Louis Majestics, now with Missouri Impact.

“You ask me what I expect of him at Kansas his first year. Whatever Bill (Self, KU coach) wants him to do, he’ll do it. If he needs 30 (points), he’ll give him 30. If he needs 15 assists, he’ll give him that. If he needs 40 minutes of defense, he’ll do that. If he needs him to keep stats, he’ll do that,” he added.

Cobb first started working with McLemore when Ben was in the fifth grade. Now Ben is Rivals.com’s No. 17-rated recruit nationally.

“I would say by his eighth-grade, ninth-grade year,” Cobb said of when he knew Ben had major-college potential. “Because everything he did was so smooth and fluent. In sixth, seventh grade, he was a center. I guess everybody thought he’d be the next Shaq,” Cobb added, noting McLemore stood 6-1 at the time.

“He’s a legit 6-6 now,” Cobb said. “I think he’s still growing.”

Cobb said McLemore is a true gym rat.

“That’s the understatement of the day,” Cobb said. “AAU, high school, neighborhood pickup ... wherever he could play, he’d play.”

On one condition.

“As long as he did his schoolwork and housework,” said his mom, Sonya, who goes by the nickname of “Peaches.”

She acknowledge basketball is Ben’s passion.

“For now it is,” she said. “Things can change.”

That’s why, in her mind, “getting a degree would be the first priority. It’s all about the education.”

Which brings us to rumors that McLemore will not qualify academically for a scholarship. His first high school, St. Louis’ Wellston High (where he averaged 28.3 points and 12.7 rebounds as a junior) was closed down by the state after his junior year.

He moved on to Oak Hill Academy in Mouth of Wilson, Va., where he was dismissed this winter for violating undisclosed team rules. Now he’s finishing high school at Christian Life Center.

“Ben has never had academic problems,” Cobb said. “He is like any high school kid who maybe didn’t realize at first the importance (of grades). At the beginning of his junior year, he took his first core courses and did well. I think rumors of him being a nonqualifier might have helped Kansas. Some schools didn’t recruit him.”

Cobb added that he felt Ben would qualify at KU.

As far as Ben’s dismissal at Oak Hill, school officials have never commented on the matter.

“That wasn’t a grade problem. I broke a school rule,” Ben told Cedric Williams of earlaustinjr.com, not identifying the rule. “I didn’t know it was against the rules. But I did it. And I learned a lesson from it. And now I’m just concentrating on getting my grades good so for next year.”

Christian Life Center coach Carlos Wilson said he has been impressed in the short time he’s known McLemore, who averaged 16 points and seven rebounds in six games.

“He’s probably one of the most athletically gifted kids that I’ve ever had the opportunity to coach,” Wilson told Rivals.com. “He just got in, and you would have never been able to tell that this kid was a top-20 kid or a kid that was a high-major-caliber kid, because his demeanor didn’t portray that. He got in and worked like he was one of the guys. That was the most impressive thing about him, and that’s why the guys opened up to him so quickly.”

McLemore showed the ability to score inside and out at the NeXt All-America game. He swished five threes in the all-star game’s scrimmage Saturday and slammed a vicious dunk after driving the middle of the lane in overtime of Sunday’s victory.

“I loved his outside touch,” Wilson said of his work at Christian Life Center. “Everybody knows he’s athletic, and he’s a monster athlete, but you don’t have many athletes that are high-level athletes that are also high-level shooters. I’ve been watching him stroke the ball, and I think he’s just as good a shooter as he is an athlete.”

Coach Cobb helps

The McLemore family has praised Cobb for his assistance during the recruiting process.

“Whenever I got headaches, I’d pass it to him, and he’d take it,” Ben’s mom, Sonya, said of Cobb.

He was happy to lend a hand.

“Ben experienced a lot of pressure being a hometown kid. Mizzou had an up-and-coming program and had great coaching there with Mike (Anderson) and Melvin (Watkins). The staff (which has moved on to Arkansas) was very accommodating to Ben and his family. At the same time, he had a lot of people looking at the excitement that Kansas is creating, the national championship, the ability for him to come in and be a premier player.”

Mom loves MU

The McLemore recruiting story might make a good movie some day. Peaches is a passionate Missouri fan who flat-out admits it’s tough for her to accept her son heading to MU’s rival.

“As a mother, I am here to support him,” she said.

Yet the two had some good, old-fashioned family arguments during the recruiting process.

“Were there friendly fights?” she was asked.

“Friendly?” Cobb said with a laugh.

“Yes, we did (argue),” mom said. “It was tough. One thing changed it. He came and said, ‘This is where I want to go.’ As a mom, there’s support here.”

Peaches smiled Sunday when Ben was asked if it was a red-letter day in his young life.

“I’m getting at that age making decisions on my own now,” McLemore said. “It is one of the happiest days of my life. My whole family is with me now. I made my decision. I’m so happy right now.”

McLemore’s nicknames?

B-Mac and Flight School, according to his three sisters.

Josh back home

KU freshman Josh Selby’s Twitter account has several posts revealing he’s back in his hometown of Baltimore this week. Selby has yet to make an announcement on whether he’s to return to KU for a second season or enter the NBA Draft.

Meanwhile, NBA writer Alex Kennedy tweeted on Tuesday that "Josh Selby will enter the NBA Draft and hire an agent, according to sources. He's currently working out at Impact Basketball in Las Vegas."

Selby's mom Maeshon Witherspoon said on Tuesday that reports were not true and no decision on Selby's future had been reached. She said she was "sorry for the speculation" and would report news when any decision had been reached.

Comments

REHawk 3 years ago

In a "rebuilding" year, after 3 starters moved off to the NBA, we won the league and league tourney, then moved along to the Elite 8. Bury the bile and move on.

Hank Cross 3 years ago

That +/- analysis is bunk and even its creator has expressed some doubts in a blog I've seen posted here. It's obvious flaw is that it doesn't account for all the variables in game situations. The only comparison that might tell you anything using this method is if you had Team 1 composed of a, b, c, d, and e play an entire game against Team 2 composed of v, w, x, y, and z, and then subsituted f for e and played Team 2 again. (Although even then there would be a variable b/c of the two Teams becoming familiar with each other during Game 1.) According to the scientific method, that's the only way you would even quasi-reliable data about the efficiency of e vs. f using this analysis. Since such a scenario never happens - that type of analysis doesn't prove anything.

FLJHK 3 years ago

Ralster: I agree with you about Releford, tho I still don't know the extent of his injury and status thereafter. Little probably should have gotten more minutes, and EJ as well. But not a whole lot.

Brady and Reed earned their playing time. Perhaps not as athletically gifted as some others, and Reed clearly suffered in late season play as a result of his foot problem, fact is this KU team as a whole played better with them on the court than without them, particularly in the last third of the season. You may not like all of Newell's analysis, but what do you have to refute it?

I don't view the inclusion of Brady and Tyrel as a "safe" lineup. I view it as the best we had to offer. I think it was impossible to predict that they would have the game they had vs VCwho. That is particularly true of Brady, who performed two days earlier with tremendous impact. I don't know how you can realistically question riding the horse that brought you there.

I'm as frustrated as you about a sad and what I consider premature ending to this season. I agree that it must be closely scrutinized and evaluated. But I don't know how you realistically prepare for meltdown games of that magnitude from both Brady and Tyrel, (as well as Markief, although that gets little attention), And it's not like the subs, in their (too) limited minutes, performed in a manner to suggest they should have gotten more time.

Anyway, I don't consider this season as a failure. There were plenty of positives. I'm a frustrated and disappointed as anyone about its ending, but I've not lost faith in Coach Self or his system.

We are blessed to be able to have these discussions. Very few others enjouy such opportunities.

Ralster Jayhawk 3 years ago

..."elite" school fans, rooting for non-elite players...Is that a set-up for disappointment?

Ralster Jayhawk 3 years ago

Reiterate key point: Certain starters wouldnt start for other elite programs...so how could/should we expect elite results? Why then, do they start for KU? Twins and Taylor needed more help. Butler finally showed what happens to a Cinderella when the other shoe drops--Is there any question what the Twins+TRob would have done to Matt Howard&Butler? I got tired of the "safe zone" lineup. And of course it was too late to do anything about it by March. No, I dont want to be KY revolving door OADs. No, we wont get to a Final 4 every year (no one will). But I am tired of seeing underachievement becoming a recurring theme. Got starter-level of minutes, whatcha do with 'em? I'd walk off the court hanging my head, chewing jersey too. A jayhawk dream, with a nightmare ending. Should we be mad or 2nd guess Self, or pity him, as he got jilted by the girl he took to the dance, especially since she was MIA for the slowdance at the end...

Ralster Jayhawk 3 years ago

Selby can & will do what he wants, unless he is told point blank "you're not ready" by some NBA scouts/GMs. My problem with Josh isnt his attitude/facial expression (no problem with any of that)...my problem with Josh is what he didnt do on the basketball court against college (not high school) opposition. Since when does that warrant NBA money? His 1 dunk as a KU player barely cleared the rim and was not Wall-like.

But, frankly, against VCwho, it wasnt Josh's statline that killed us. Im sick of people quoting Newell's stat-summary from a week ago. Did you see the frickin game? How about that dismal showing by your very own Reed and BStar. Releford sees 60seconds of playing time. Reed+Brady 1for10 from 3, just like 2 other players vs. UNI last year.
Anybody care to guess if Reed (a 'jump'shooter) really actually "overcame" his foot injury? I think not. I liked Reed's work ethic (and BStar's), but PTPers got to shine under the big lights. Two Tournaments in a row where our "consistent" seniors flame out on us. Add 1 bad game by another KU player (like Sherron's vs UNI), and you can stick a fork in us Hawks. This year in and out of "slumps". Let KU add junior and senior slumps to the vernacular as we already have 'sophomore' slump and 'freshman wall'. Reed forever tarnished his memory with that sad, unfortunate outing. In-rhythm looks. Gotta shoot better than 1for7.

Reed is not JJReddick. Reed isnt even Chalmers. Reed+Brady(waited 2yrs to play just to try to develop...) wouldnt play for UNC, KY, UCLA...

Sorry to offend the Reed/Brady lovers, but this is 2 yrs in a row they flameout (3 for Brady). Many here fault Self's mpg mgmt of various players, and I have similar thoughts swirling. But to me the real statistical reality (forgive me, Jesse Newell) is how Reed + Brady effin killed us. Along with the team "not playing to the scouting report" (which Reed admitted).

Reed + Brady is not Jimmer Fredette either.

For Reed + Brady + Xaveeyay + Josh...we shaft Releford out of another year, and shaft Little out of significant minutes his final season. Didnt like how this all played out, and its not done yet, regarding official notice from Twins + Selby...

REHawk 3 years ago

Posters, I enjoyed your rebuttals and refutations today. This site continues to entice me for its passionate discourse and analytical depth. Well, sometimes not "depth," but always passion! And courageous opinionizings. Heck, maybe I would trade a couple of league titles for a NC...so long as K State, Mizzou, Texas or Baylor didn't run away with the conference hardware. I can certainly feel the dismay and frustration which many of you feel regarding our recent losing history in the NCAA Tourney. This year we have to keep in mind that lousy freethrow and 3-pt. percentages were huge anomalies in that VCU loss. Could Self have better prepared Releford or Selby or EJ by allowing more minutes throughout the conference season? Does he fall down in firing up his squads for consecutive games in 48 hour timespans? Does he rely too much on starters to offer up 30+ minutes on tired legs in NCAA contests? I am confident that the coaching staff will eventually come to grips with the entire situation to make adjustments for future success. In the meantime, I am pleased with the 2010/11 season; very proud of the league and league tournament titles, hardly more dismayed at the VCU loss than the whopping we took earlier in Manhattan. For a team in another rebuilding year, Elite 8 was terrific. HEM, I enjoy reading your posts and opinions immensely. However, I am wound up very differently in my outlook toward conference titles vs. advancement to Final 4s. Even when I replay the thrilling finish in our '08 Championship, I view the Tournament as a crapshoot. VCU, Connecticut, Kentucky getting to Houston. REALLY!

benshawks08 3 years ago

In reading all of these comments about Self's management of talent this year the one aspect I am noticing is getting overlooked the most is injury. Having an injury not only affects players' physical abilities, but their mentality and their chemistry as well. Also what is frustrating is that we as fans have little real knowledge of what a player's true injury is and how it is fully effecting their play.

This has to be one of KU's worst years for injuries and players sitting out I can remember. Selby (suspension, foot), Releford (ankle), Robinson (family nightmare, knee), EJ (Suspension), Taylor (Suspension, fingers), and Reed (foot). The players that got the playing time were the ones who faced their adversity and overcame it quickly (Robinson, Reed, and Taylor). That to me is what leadership is all about. Self said that both Releford and Selby would be back way sooner than they actually returned. And can anyone on this board give me an example of either one of these two giving a solid performance once they returned, even for just a brief period on the court?

On the other hand, Reed played injured all year and kept his performance fairly even. Robinson came back from hell and the knee injury faster than humanly possible. Taylor was remarkably improved returning from his suspension. These players proved to Self and themselves that they would not let their time out (or continuing injury for Reed and Taylor) negatively affect their play.

Maybe, just maybe, Self has a little more insight into how his players have recovered both physically and mentally from adversity than we do. You cannot tell me that Self keeps his players on too short of a leash with considering the way he has handled Taylor. If there is a player who has played through more growing pains, I can't think of one. So he is willing to give the players that chance if they are willing to overcome their adversity.

Ethan Berger 3 years ago

Selby needs to look at Guys like Blake Griffin and Jordan Hamliton. Both stayed and Hamilton will be a top 10 if he leaves. Players that leave to early, dont fare well in the NBA. But lets not forget that scouts understand that he was injured for a good part of the season. So they will take that in account. Hope they say hes a second round pick.

Ty Mar 3 years ago

Hope HCBS has less "dark circles" around his eyes!

jaybate 3 years ago

Part 5

Floridastan? Good lord, without the very best material by an order of magnitude, Donovan, like Roy, can't even make the tourney some years, in order to be upset by a mid major. Self has never once enjoyed the superiority of material Donovan had with the two Noah/Horford teams. If he had, he would probably have won two with it, also. But who can say for sure. All we can say is that he won two when he had the best material in the country by a significant margin, can't (or barely) make the tourney some years when rebuilding, and

Self has been a coach at a major for about 11 years now (8 at KU, 3 at Illinois). Most of the great all time coaches have had a decade or so period of learning how to run a major program and doing it increasingly well, but not winning rings consistently. Self got lucky and won a ring early without really knowing how he did it. His team stole a game from UNC based on his cleverness in 08, but Self had to have pure luck to win the title game against Memphis, and had to have pure luck against Davidson, too.

Billy Donvan won two rings young, but now he can't duplicate his success either. That means that was largely luck, too.

To reiterate, even the great Wooden had to coach 10-12 years at a major before he really got the hang of how to do it all: win pre conference, win conference, and win post season.

There is no free lunch, not magic bullet. You have to struggle and fight and accumulate enough experience of how to do all the things that need doing, before you can be something more than lucky. Jim Calhoun was something more than lucky this year. You could feel that he was like an experienced jockey riding a horse he knew how to make perform to the best of its abilities. He wasn't experimenting. He needed some luck, but he really knew what he was doing constantly. Most importantly, he knew from experience the things he could not control. Brad Stevens, good a young coach as he is, just did not know what he did not know, what he could not control.

Bill Self is just now entering the prime of his coaching life.

jaybate 3 years ago

Part 4

UConn and Calhoun were for years labelled perennial blow-ups and the biggest chokers in basketball, when anyone took them seriously at all. Calhoun was deeply embittered at being disrespected for decades by the time he won his first title. Calhoun has learned to win the ring as an old coach sometimes does, even though near flat lining, and constantly under investigation for recruiting violations. Calhoun has also copied Self Ball to great extent the last two seasons. All the way down to take what they give us. Calhoun has given up setting tempo almost completely and plays grind it out even slower than KU. Calhoun is the best argument for saying with high probability of correctness: Self is within sight of the experience level Calhoun required to be able to win his rings...and Self has already won one.

Baja KU aka UNC was, under Dean Smith, the single greatest choking team through out the UCLA run of championships. Many used to say that if a really good coach had had Dean's talent, Wooden would have only won half the rings he won. Then when Wooden retired, everyone said Dean would dominate. Dean promptly mostly failed. He won two rings over a decade and a half in which he always had the best talent of anyone by a long shot (oh, maybe 1-2 years some other team had about as much). Then Roy came and won two rings after 15 years of failure trying at KU. But of course people forget that Roy should have three rings at UNC, not the two he has. He completely blew it being upset by KU in 2008. UNC was clearly the better team that season. Roy got fooled by Self's jump in the lanes defense that first ten minutes of the first half of the semifinals and was too stubborn to adjust. And Roy fell into mediocrity last season. Did he even make 20 wins and the tourney last season? Self, by comparison, goes 35-3, or 26-7 in his two most recent "rebuilding" seasons.

jaybate 3 years ago

Part 3

Further, the fact is Dook, UConnvict, Baja KU, Floridastan, UKonvict, Syrexcuse, Aridzona, and Ratso Izzo State have all been upset in the early rounds of the tournament over the last 25 years, except maybe UConn and UA, because they were probably not even on the blue blood hoops map 25 years ago (so mark them down for the last 20 years). But certainly since UConnvict and Aridzona became powers, they have been upset in the early rounds, too.

Another fact is all of these programs absolutely have played horrible games and lost because of it in the Madness over the last 25 years.

Another fact is that all of these programs have blown opportunities to win it all, when they were among the serious contenders.

So, while the tournament is not a "crapshoot," it is, statistically speaking, and in retrospect empirically speaking, at the very least, closer to a crapshoot than to a loaded dice game on the spectrum between these poles.

Consider some coaches.

Duke's Coach Consonants was a terrific coach when he was relatively young. He learned under Knight, a very smart coach, and then quickly got hold of Duke at a young age and was just an unusually savvy guy early on. He had some tough years for awhile, but then he got on a 10-year run of talent that was at least as superior to his competition of his time, as was Wooden's (save for Jabbar and Walton) and Dean's (save for Jordan) in their times. Then he cracked up and then he lost his talent run and then he did so poorly for 6 years or so that most were saying the game had passed him by and it seemed he would be retired by now. But being the little tough nut that he is, and realizing he could not longer recruit as well as a lot of the younger coaches, he went out and sucked his way into the Olympic program, free road on the image of the pros, and restored enough sizzle to his image that he could start landing better talent than almost everyone again. After winning it last season, though he couldn't win it with coaching, he had to resort to cheap shotting, he blew it this year in a phenomenal way. He had the most experience, the most talent, the best talent, and even got his best freshman back. He had it all and couldn't get it done. Last season, he lucked out not having to face KU (because KU was upset), and, to reiterate, used cheap shotting to make up for what he didn't have to win the ring.

jaybate 3 years ago

Part 6

Bill Self is now entering the period of his coaching life when he will not only be harder working, and more cunning than most he faces (as all the great ones are from the beginning), but more experienced than most he faces.

If a coach can survive in the profession until he has hard work, cunning, and experience on his side, he can become a very, very, very dangerous opponent.

Self is approaching that point.

The trick for all coaches who enter this phase of their career is to be able to keep recruiting successfully, when they are getting older and so not so in touch with the generation of kids they must attract.

Self's years of being the coolest, trendiest, most fun coach that comes to call are drawing to an end.

Self's big challenge now is can he become the mature wizard with the buckets of experience and the yoda like wisdom that can mesmerize the future Jabbars and Waltons that are now over due in the pipeline and will surely begin to resume appearing the next ten years. Self has to get 2-3 of them the next decade to convert his experience, cunning and hard work into banners.

IMHO, any guy who can win 84% of his games in the middle of his decade apprenticeship at majors in D1 has a very good chance of growing into the wizard phase and winning 2-5 rings, depending on the talent he can land.

jaybate 3 years ago

Part 6

Self is approaching that point.

jaybate 3 years ago

Wooden was right: coach your players to perform to the highest sustainable level possible, not to ups and downs. There is no question in my mind that Self wins more games over the course of a season by modulating their ups and downs, as he does, because the number of good teams is relatively infrequent and so their is more margin for error in how how down a team can be and still win (and the modulated ups get him W's he would not get otherwise, too).

But come tourney time, the average level of competition gets so high that you need to keep at least an average level of performance (on the down performances) just to get by the mid majors. But when Self does this, then he will not get the super human performances in the Madness like the 08 upset of UNC in the semi finals. All psycho/motivational approaches have their tradeoffs. But I think Self will begin to opt for a more steady level of emotional edge in the future.

Now back to the specific issue of "successful" programs getting it done when they have the opportunity.

Self clearly agrees with you and he is worried that he has wasted two good shots at rings...the implication being he won't get many of these opportunities.

I disagree to some extent with you and the coach. I think Self is just now ending his apprenticeship stage as a D1 coach at a major. I think it is normal for him to have blown the opps that he has blown at Illinois and Kansas. But more about that later.

For now, let us return focus to the programs that you ask us to think about and how they have fared over the last 25 years.

Of the Maybach programs you mention, probably half, or a third, the rings they won were won with teams not most favored to win it all--with teams that got hot and got lucky on the match-ups. Probably half of the rings won were won by teams just like UConn this year. After a season of ups and downs, a team with one terrific player comes together, gets hot, stays hot, avoids any 9.5-12% nights from trey, and wins one, or two, close games along the way by exploiting an opposing team's late mistakes, and wins the title..without the best material...though often with a best player (e.g. Danny in '88).

jaybate 3 years ago

"Basketball Thoughts Meandering Like a River Through the Great Plains"

This is in reply to HEM's and some others' comments above. As usual, I aim to keep our discourse amiable and want readers to view our disagreements as equally informing and useful, regardless of differences.

First, IMHO, Self didn't have the most talented players, or probably the most talented team, in the country this year, or last. Last year and this year he had the exact kinds of teams that get upset. Teams with missing pieces, injuries, and key starters having less than career seasons. Cole was never 6'11". He was sick and injured his entire last season and was never as good as he was as his sophomore season. Sherron slumped down the stretch. And though I thought Sherron was a great player, most thought he was vastly overrated and no where near as good as many other point guards around the country. So: hype aside, and my opinions about Sherron aside, in retrospect, Self did not have the best material, nor the best player in 2010. And Self clearly did not have the best material, or the best player, this season either.

So: the first thing that needs to be understood about KU's losses in the last two Madness tourneys is this: KU teams in 2010 and 2011, despite the hype, were, in retrospect, exactly the kind of teams that had to get hot and stay hot to avoid being upset, by mid majors, or by anyone else. Both teams peaked a little too early and played a little too well down the stretch of the conference and conference tourneys, to get hot and stay hot in the Madness.

In turn, I believe this is what Self will eventually learn from these two years: if you do not clearly have the best material and the best player in a season, then you have to really delay your peak until the tournament, no matter how many losses you have to take late doing it. And when you get to the tournament in years with less than the best talent and the best player, you have to geek your players to an even level of performance for every game of the tournament. Sending them out flat, as he so clearly does (at least its clear to me), some games, and geeked up others, builds in and magnifies a natural volatility to their performances that just is not predictable and that just cannot be reliably modulated.

GeoHawk15 3 years ago

Theend, we get it. Obviously no one is going to change their opinion and you're beginning to sound like a broken record. Move on. Jeez...

Steve Gantz 3 years ago

I have no time to read all of these posts, but it looks like Selby is gone, and with that, he is really gone, to Europe, or Pakistan or Israel to play pro ball. He won't play in the League anytime soon.

sdoyel 3 years ago

Let's not forget that Josh posted a very, very good GPA in the Fall.

Vincent Patterson 3 years ago

HighEliteMajor, Oxcalijayhawk, 713KUFAN - Man, I really can't say too much more than what you all have already said, so all I will say is "Right-On brother, right-on!" Would I want somebody in place of Self, "hell naw". He has obviously shown that he can recruit and win..BUT, his stubborness is killing his opportunities to win championships in the post season! His losses to the likes of Bradley, Bucknell, UNI, and VCU can't all be flukes! This is becoming a habit! And we all know we could have very well lost to Davidson that year we won it all.

All I want to see as a fan is that he starts trying a different approach and be willing to adapt. Along the same lines as HighEliteMajor and Co. I too can live with a few more losses in the regular season at the expense of using those losses as an opportunity to develop those players who may give you a better shot of advancing in the NCAAs. Confernence regular season and tournament titles are just supposed to be gravy, not the highlight and focal point of the season! Last I checked it's all about National Championships!!!

El Jay 3 years ago

by the way, does anyone else think this is a horrible headline for this article? I mean, way to grab the most insignificant part of the story and make it a headline. very misleading and who really cares if his little brother thinks he's like LBJ? its his little brother. I havent been following this site too long, but as of yet i am unimpressed with the journalistic talents on display

FLJHK 3 years ago

As to the question of whether I would trade some regular season losses or even the Big 12 Championship for a national title, well of course I would. But that’s not really the issue. Most of the truly great teams through the years got both. They sustained excellence throughout the year. That’s why this year’s tourney, if not a crapshoot, came pretty close. No way were those the best two teams in the country playing last night. But one of them got a national championship, and they are now happier about this season than anyone else.

I don’t agree that the regular season title and regular season games are meaningless. Athletes play to win every game. I will accept though, that a long view of the season is appropriate, and that player development through the season is a key component of an ultimate tourney run.

I think Coach Self had a particularly difficult challenge this year with a team that had a lot of depth, and little distinction between their various talents. Tough finding minutes for everyone and keeping them happy. But this team was a lot better in March than they were in December, and that is to Self’s credit.

As regards specific players, the situation I questioned the most was Releford, but I have never heard just how much his injury played into that. As regards Selby, I think he was given every chance and more; he just didn’t deliver.

No doubt some of that was circumstantial with the suspension and injury. But I certainly never saw the player the hype let me to expect. Yes he was good in his breakout game against So. Cal., but the team was lousy. Taylor’s slump began as Selby was inserted into the line-up. For whatever reason, the chemistry wasn’t there.

Newell’s piece last week was very telling. By his statistical breakdown, Brady was the team’s most efficient offensive performer; Josh was dead last by a long shot. I don’t say that Selby is without major talent, but clearly it hasn’t yet been developed in a manner that makes the team better.

We lost to VCU in the tourney this year. VCU played well, we played poorly. To their dismay, both Brady and Tyrel had particularly bad games. Certainly we need to look at every reason for this performance and make adjustments. I think that will happen.

But even if we play well, there is never any guarantee of a national championship. In those years I’m glad that we can at least claim the Big 12 regular and post season tournament championships.

theend 3 years ago

'The Emperor's New Clothes'.......Remember that children's book? A lot of you Self and KU worshipers on this board remind me of the emperor himself. He actually believed it when his ministers whispered in his hear...."Oh....what fine silk, sire!"......."Oh my.....isn't that a remarkable color, sire!" "Ah, what beautiful fabric, sire!"

Yet.....it took a simple child to tell him......he actually had no clothes at all.

Well......turns out Kansas and Self........at least in March.......have "no clothes" either.

Yes, KU is good. Yes, Self is a good coach. Yes, KU has great basketball tradition. Yes, KU almost has the record wins of any school.......Yes.......I get it!! And you're right.

But all of you need to understand that there is a problem with this team in March. Having a good regular season and a good coach and great tradition is not enough to win national titles!!!!!!!!! UConn is a perfect example of that. I want KU stop underachieving and live up to its potential. Two national titles in 60 years????? Sorry.....maybe I'm spoiled.......but I want more. Winning the Big 12 and its tournement and reg season games is great.......but national titles are all that really matter. And KU and Self need to make major changes.

WAKE UP!!!!!!

Joel Hood 3 years ago

I want to believe that Selby would be making a horrible mistake by leaving KU early, but I can think of at least one NBA success story that jilted KU - DeShawn Stevenson.

Over 10 years ago he signed with KU and then jumped to the league instead. Everyone said he would fail, but even though he has had an up & down career, the guy is going to pull in over $4 million this season alone.

Is Selby a DeShawn Stevenson??? Probably not - the odds are definately against him. But hey, it's his life and God knows predicting success is impossible and evaluating success is subjective (i.e., Julian Wright.)

ChicagoJHawk 3 years ago

I never heard about the Morris twins getting bottle service with an agent in LA. Where did you see or read about that?

Rockchalk_Mom 3 years ago

Really? I keep reading that Self should have let the freshmen play through and maybe have sacrificed some games throughout the season for the end goal. We would have not won the conference. We likely would not have won the Big 12 tournament. How much support do you think Self would have received by this time? Jayhawk fans would have crucified Self before the end of the season. I am not a Selby fan by any means and leaving him in to play through his mistakes would be suicide. It infuriated me when he would lose the ball and then just laugh about it. That kid would be sitting with Junemann and Roberts the rest of the game if he played for me. Everyone makes mistakes, but he acted like he didn't care. That was a slap in the face for the other players who gave their all during practice. I believe that had we played deeper in the bench with Releford & Johnson it would have helped in the tournament. Why try so hard to recruit these kids if we don't give them a chance to play? Selby didn't deserve the minutes he got. I for one, prays he goes pro. Let him sit on their bench.

HawksWin 3 years ago

I don't quite get recruiting top talents, so would someone pls help me understand? I know KU is one of the elite programs, but how is it many of the top 20 or so end up at UNC, Duke, Kentucky (I get why UK) & others like AZ, Texas, Cuse, etc instead of KU? The twins weren't the top A talents, except Shelby, right? I think TRob, TT, EJ are top. Makes me wonder if all that ranking is real. Perhaps I'm drinking too much of media/espn juice.

theend 3 years ago

Careful Hawksfan08.....if you are even remotely critical of Kansas or Bill Self......you will immediately be attacked by many of the people on this board. They think Bill Self is perfect and has all the answers.......and they are completely satisfied with being able to just beat Iowa State every year......never mind that KU has only won 2 national championships in 60 years.......Who cares? we beat Iowa State!!!!! Twice!!!!!

hawksfan08 3 years ago

Did anyone ever consider that maybe Self's offense isn't a good postseason offense? It works well in the regular season but without fail faulters late. When the postseason comes around, defense is what is ratcheted up because defense is reliant solely on effort. Your offense generally stays the same because diving for a loose ball doesn't make you a better 3 pt shooter. (VCU this year being a notable exception. Still waiting for an explanation for a 10% variation on 3pt %age)

If you want a good example, look at the SSOL Pheonix Suns. Great regular season offense but when the defensive pressure is turned up down the stretch the offense becomes less and less effective and sometimes even completely falls apart. Isn't it possible that Self's offense is the college version of the Suns? Wildly efficient, high scoring, and failing in the face of increased playoff type defense. The only way to combat that defensive pressure is to penetrate and hit the roll man on ball screens. The suns did this to great effect with Nash/Stoudemire and probably would've succeded if not for the suspension after the fight against the spurs. The VCU game in my opinion turned when Kieff was called for 3 seconds as Taylor lobbed to a rolling Marcus for a dunk. The next time down, Taylor got his 2nd foul and we had no one to penetrate and hit the roll man. We never saw it again that game.

It's no coincidence that the best Self coached defensive team is his only FF team and had the ability to penetrate against the pressure and dish to the roll man with robinson rush chalmers and collins.

John Sheehan 3 years ago

If rumors about the twins and Josh are true, our Starting 5: Withey T-Rob DeAndre (assuming he signs) B-Mac TT 6 - EJ 7 - T-Rel

Not what we're accustomed to...but a chance for some guys to play their way up by March.

We're much better off (obviously) if the twins come back - they are the key.

Selby coming back would be great to see him realize potential, but it's not as important as the big men IMO.

Any other opinions on what the lineup could look like?

ku_foaf 3 years ago

If Josh is in Baltimore, you can bet his mind is currently in the NBA. Hope he changes his mind. His draft stock is surely not that high. Good luck to him if that is how he chooses to go.

ku_tailg8 3 years ago

Its a joke if Selby is in Vegas and is missing class. It is disrespectful to all the kids that have to pay to go to school and have a hard time making ends meet. These guys are hardly ever in class from the end of November through March. If he still passes his classes while he pursues his NBA career then the teachers/professors should fail him. If he is going to the NBA, best of luck. I didn't see it at KU. Getting rejected by the rim will always be a highlight in my mind.

HawkfromHays 3 years ago

Next year is not looking so good for KU. The football team will be lucky to win 4 games. Selby looks like he's gone, and my guess is that the twins will leave as well. If the twins go so will Robinson.

Getting Bmac is big but we clearly have needs at the 4 and 5. Even if we pick up a couple of good post players they are going to be freshmen. I look for us to have a season similar to 2008-09 or the one when Chalmers and Rush were freshmen. Hopefully things will come together near the end of the year to the tune of 23-28 wins. I'm not holding my breath on winning the B12 again though.

inkcube 3 years ago

I was a prof at KU during the years Paul Pierce played. The year he came out he disappeared from my class and other classes right after the tournament ended - I never saw him again. It looks like young Selby is doing the same.

tauck 3 years ago

How about this, teach these kids how to shoot free throws and we would be National Champions right now. No need to worry about shot selection, substitute patterns etc, just become a good free throw shooting team. Make it a priority, break it down, teach it and then rep the holy hell out of it, so we never lose another game because of it.

martyks 3 years ago

If Josh goes pro now, it won't be simply a year wasted for him. I believe it will be a horrible waste of his potential forever. It's a career breaker. He will never get the experience of competing on this level again and his talent will fall off the table.

The people around him who are filling his head with ideas about how great he will be in the NBA are the real culprits here. Not only is he not ready, but by going into the wasteland of playing semi pro ball or sitting the bench for some pro team, he will end up never ready to play pro. Does anyone know what Julian Wright is doing now? What do you think he thinks when he talks to kids from the championship year? He blew it, pure and simple. But that poor decision pales in comparison to what Josh would do if he tried to go pro now. It's such poor judgement, in fact, that if he does go, I'm fine with it because we don't need someone that full of himself on the team next year. He's not ready and there's a distinct possibility that he never will be if he goes.

FreddyinLA 3 years ago

Selby needs reps at the point. The job was given without competition to TT. Selby is gone.

jaybate 3 years ago

"Respondez to KULA Regarding Josh Being Better Off Jumping that Being with Coach Self Another Season"

KULA...

Hopin' ur right for JRippah's sake...

But suspect KULA not listenin' eithah...

Ignorin' facts...

Sayin' don't confuse me with'em...

Not acceptin' 36% at 20'9" may equal 32% at 23'9"

Sayin' facts don't mattah...

But in the L facts is all that mattah...

Grown men fightin' for food and bench longevity...

Hype not be impressin'em...

Not carin' 'bout PT...

Just wantin' a slot on the gravy train...

Willin' to do anything to keep it...

Suckin' up to whatever star wants the vacuum...

Takin' unprepared boys down...

Sendin'em packin' to Europa...

The E Uuuuuuuuuuu....

Playin' for baguettes...

Not the big bones...

Euro trashin'...

No posses...

No one carin' 'bout the 'hood...

No soul food, just monk fish with cream sauce...

No one carin' bout your 5 stars...

No one speakin' your language....

No jive telemetry...

People lookin' at your 'toos and thinkin' "whatta fool!"

No one carin' bout the urban dictionary...

No one carin' bout Maeshon...

Oh, KULA, oh KULA/ Don't ya treat Josh this way/ You're the meanest ol' poster/ That I ever did see...

"Hit the road, Josh,/ And don't ya come back no more, no more / No more, no more/ Hit the road, Josh/ Don't ya come back no more Yeah, don't ya come back no more"

Oh, KULA, oh KULA, Don't you realize this There really is somethin' Called the kiss of death (I really care if he does I really care if he doesn't) He's the sweetest young guard That I ever did see...

Don't hit the road, Josh... Cuz you cain't come back No more, no more, No more, no more, Don't hit the road, Josh... Cuz you cain't come back No more.. Oh what'd I say Don't hit the road, Josh Cuz you cain't come back No more.

theend 3 years ago

I really have absolutely no idea why it is that so many of you get so excited about these "unbelievable, awesome" recruits. So they have talent......whoopee. This "talent" doesn't really seem to be helping Kansas get anywhere close to national titles.

You people need to take a long,hard look at a team like UConn. Not just their players but their coaching as well. Three national titles since 1999!!! That's amazing. Kansas? Choke artists in March. Kansas needs to make major changes to its program. Right now......there is no chance of a title. None.

I wish you "rah-rah KU" fans that are content beating Iowa State and Texas Tech would wake up and understand what it takes to win a title. Hint:We don't have it!!

Philip Garver 3 years ago

I have a question for those of you that criticize HCBS for having a short leash. If he puts Selby in and tells him to set a down screen for one of the twins on the first play and he steps on the floor and throws up a 25 foot jump shot. Then after he misses, he loses his man the next time down the floor on defense for an opposition easy bucket, why shouldn't he yank Josh out of the game?

I saw this scenario more than once this year. Now, I don't have specific knowledge of instructions going into the game, but I did see ill advised shots as soon as he got in the game. This question is purely hypothetical, but some of you act as though HCBS should have just left a player in the game that was unwilling to follow instructions and play within a team concept. This is not AAU basketball.

phog 3 years ago

LMAO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

REHawk 3 years ago

The NCAA Tournament is a wild crapshoot. UConn wins with 9 losses and a coach who got slapped down during the season for rules violations. VCU makes a season ending miracle run to the Final Four after finishing 4th in a midmajor conference and somehow weaseling into the tournament over a much more deserving Colorado. Is this the pot at the end of the rainbow that we would sacrifice a conference championship or a coach's integrity to try to attain? In my opinion, those 7 league titles and the clean personal record that Bill Self has posted in his 8 years at the Jayhawk helm is of much more essential value than another national title. Over 30 times in the past two seasons Jayhawk fans have closed the bars or gone off to bed with smiles. It seems that so rarely does the "best" team in the nation ever reach the national title game. Certainly not this season. The banner, national acclaim and financial proceeds are terrific, but I would have to think long and hard as to whether I would trade that banner for a pair of league titles and consistent Top 5 seasonal rankings. Though frustrating closures, these past two seasons have provided splendid basketball for KU players and fans.

RockChalk26 3 years ago

Question: Is Selby better the Sherron?

William Blake 3 years ago

Thank you, Peaches, for letting your son make his own decision. I'm sure it was tough to let him go to your rival. Hopefully we can soften your relationship with KU by taking great care of your son and helping him reach the next level.

I'm already psyched for next year! Can't wait to see BMac do his thing!

Jumping to the NBA:

We have nothing confirmed on the twins, TRob, Josh or TT. Concerning Josh... I'm pretty sure he is heartbroken. He's such a revved up guy, and he loves being a Jayhawk, maybe to the extent where it hurt his game because he wasn't settled down. But I'm pretty sure he feels horrible after that last game. Those +- numbers were devastating... and it showed him the very last thing he wanted to come to grips with; the possibility that he hurt his team's chances more than help.

I hope he takes a week to think about his situation and make a sound decision. Without doubt, he should return to Lawrence and get after another year. Build his game and turn around his numbers.

It is important for fans to sit on their frustrations and just let him play a full, healthy year. If given the chance, he'll prove he wasn't over-rated.

kkoenig 3 years ago

Against USC, Selby shot 5-of-11 from the field with all the makes being three point shots from beyond the arc. If anything, his shot failed him, not his coach's substitutions.

KUbsee69 3 years ago

These kids, and their families have had people telling them they're going to be NBA stars for years. They all come to believe that they are going to be the next LaBron. They have no concept of reality. A very few achieve the stardom they quest.

Agents will try to lure them into the fold, because representation is a numbers game. The more you convince to sign, the more potential there is to take your cut. They don't lose anything by signing "potential", because if it works out, the agent make lots of money and if it doesn't, they are not out very much. The player just goes to Europe or works at convenience store. It's just like real estate ... the agents with the most listings are the ones that make the most money, not the ones that sell the most properties.

Now, the head of the NBA Player's Association has said that there is a 99% chance for the lockout. In my book, 99% says it's going to happen. It would be foolish to enter the draft early under those circumstances. I'd bet with the 99% odds anytime.

Anyone with a rational mind can see that Selby is not ready for the NBA. He has not even come up to speed to make a major impact at the college level. The scouts and GMs know that. He'll go low and not even be guaranteed any money, even if there is a season next year.

Frankly, while I'd like to see him stay to develop his potential, and become the player most of us expected, I also won't be too bummed if he declares ... because it's hard to miss something that never was.

Either way, KU will continue to roll.

Jack Wilson 3 years ago

I am wondering if KU fans saw the game last night .. saw the impact of freshmen for UConn .. saw a team that lost 9 regular season games .. saw a team that took some regular season lumps but let its younger players develop during the season. I am quite sure that none of the UConn fans even care that they went 9-9 in the Big East, nor do they care that they didn't win the conference regular season title.

Could Selby have possibly been handled in different way? He's the same guy that dropped 21 on USC in his first game. How does one go from the top player in the country, or at least top 5, to really a zero? We give props to Danny Manning for developing our bigs. But why do we shy away when it goes the other way?

Could Selby, if he had been developed and handled differently, been a better option in the VCU game than Brady Morningstar? Or than an injured Tyrel Reed?

Or how about Releford? 6-6. Slasher. Decent 3-ball. Self started him to begin the season. Self commented on his defensive abilities, and it was easy to see he was a very good wing defender. A much different skill set than Morningstar or Reed.

Maybe EJ? Only really got his chance when TT broke team rules. Then he was our "best" on ball defender according to Self. He didn't turn the ball over. And had a decent shot from behind the arc. Then vs. VCU he gets 6 minutes.

You all realize that, really, the margin between beating VCU and winning the national title was very thin .. we were "out-athleted" vs. VCU. Slow Brady. Slow Reed (due to his injury). And when their shots didn't fall, they had really littled value. But Self stuck with them. He did not commit during the season to developing his better players .. Selby and Releford .. and discarded EJ even after he proved himself.

KU, as a number one seed, loses two seasons in a row .. first to UNI and then to VCU. Repeat that. And, if you can't see what caused both failures, you may be drinking the same Kool-Aid that coach Self is ... because we surely haven't heard him take one ounce of blame or responsibility for either loss.

Those that ignore history are doomed to repeat it .. we've all heard the quote. Nothing more applicable. Learning from one's mistakes is an essential element to great leadership.

Mel Clare 3 years ago

Selby should return to the Hawks and play some B Ball.............this year for him sucked and remember what happened to Sherron last year...undrafted, then cut............and Selby is NOT as good as Sherron is at this time..............he needs more school...............

El Jay 3 years ago

if Selby leaves, he's an idiot. There is NO WAY that kid is gonna be a first round pick...NO WAY. And with the lockout looming, he could get drafted in the second round, not get a training camp at all, then basically never break an NBA rotation b/c he wont be ready to take a veteran's place in a shortened season where every single game counts. He'll either end up riding pine for a year or playing in the D-league. This would be a bad decision.
T-Rob on the other hand, is a totally different story. We all know about his family motivations (without which I dont even think he would be considering the draft) but this is also a good draft for him to come out in b/c of the total lack of quality big men. He may not be a lotter pick, but he could actually contribute bench minutes next year and not have the year be a complete waste. Having said that, I still think he has more to gain by coming back. I think the problem with Selby is that he came in to be a one and done and he's got that firmly in his head...like playing more than a season makes him a failure. I think Self completely mismanaged this kid but he did have a tough season otherwise too. I just think we tried way to hard to win the conf. regular season rather than developing guys and rotations for the post season. Selby was barely a part of the team after coming back from injury. I wouldnt be surprised if the kid just didnt have confidence in Coach to get him the looks he needs. Especially if he's looking at the Tyshawn Taylor and Elijah Johnson situations. Self is a great coach and I love his offense, but it isnt for everyone and he doesnt have a very good track record of putting out quality NBA point guards. That would be a big concern if Im selby especially since he has Tharpe coming in next year too. I mean, where is he gonna get minutes between him, TT, EJ, and now Tharpe?

Andy Rieger 3 years ago

Is it just me or does this year's potential NBA crop at KU have a complete lack of trust and total disrepect for HCBS? It seems like these types of actions never occur until after the player meetings (Selby skipping class and Morris brothers in LA getting bottle service with an agent). It's a new era of kids I guess, likely for the worse...unfortunately

Thank you Thomas for being genuine to the process and allowing you head coach to complete his due diligence for you. That is how success begins, with TRUST.

bradynsdad 3 years ago

It's not that big of deal to miss class as long as self knows. I think Josh will stay. He has the potential along with trob this year to be the man. Not one NBA scout could legitimately look at Josh after this year and think he is ready for the NBA. Having said that if he goes I would understand. His family is not in the best situation financially. If we only lose the twins to the draft I think we still have the potential to be very dominant. Can someone answer me a question? If Daniels was trying to enroll at ku but just couldn't get financial aid then why didn't he go ahead and orally commit at least?

phi4life940 3 years ago

Congrats Ben! You won't regret it when you scrimmage at late night!

Peaches- once you come to your first game and we chant "Thank you Peaches!" you'll love KU!

keith horinek 3 years ago

Congratulations to Ben, he made the correct decision and he will not regret it. There is a very good possibility there could be a lock out in the NBA next year. If so, going into the draft not knowing where you will go is a big gamble for selby and the twins. They would be better off staying put for now. There are a lot of good kids staying in college this year because of the rumors of a lockout.

eastcoasthawk 3 years ago

If we are able to fill some bigs slots next year and Ben can play like Lamb did for UConn we will have a solid team next year. I just hope TRob stays. He will be a monster next year. Josh could definitely use another year or two of playing NCAA ball.

Looking forward to seeing Ben play!

duanep5ku 3 years ago

Hi Ben and family welcome to KU I'm glad you chose to come to Kansas and I would also like to add a special thank you to your mom for her support in your decision to join the Kansas team.

I know Sonya if you are a die hard MU fan that would be a tough pill to swallow for a Missouri fan but Sonya I would like to say thank you for allowing Ben to come to KU even though it was a tough call on your part.

Kevin, good luck in High School and maybe some day you will also achieve your goals to play college ball like your brother Ben.

KU-Alum- I have to agree with your Selby sentiment too because Josh should not go NBA this year but if he does go I still wish him the best but At-least finish the school year out Josh.

KU fan in the know I have a question to ask is their not a penalty if he does not complete the year?

jhox 3 years ago

I've rarely, if ever, strongly disagreed with a KU players decision of when to go pro, but if Selby makes that decision it is likely a huge mistake. Some of these kids have absolutely no concept of how short a time one additional year really is. If Josh comes back, he will have the opportunity to put up big numbers and improve his draft stock significantly. If he leaves early, I can't image that he's going to be better than early second round. Unfortunately, these kids have have friends and potential agents whispering in their ears and telling them they're sure fire first rounders, and the kids believe it. If Josh goes pro, I hope he is able to turn heads in the pre draft camps. Otherwise he's in for a big disaapointment.

I can't say I'm surprised though, that he might want to leave early.. I saw his body language several times late in the season when he was clearly on a short leash. It had the unmistakable look of he and Self butting heads. In hindsight, I wish Self had let him play through his mistakes. While it may have cost us a couple more conference losses, I believe it would have made us a better team by tournament time.

Robinson is another guy who would clearly benefit from another year. With the Morris twins gone, he has a chance to be the man, and elevate himself into a lottery pick. Unfortunately for him, his family situation is tough, so it would be hard to blame him if he declares early. Still, I can't help but feel that's another situation in which a kid doesn't have any concept about how short a time one year really is. It would be well worth his investment to stay.

KEITHMILES05 3 years ago

Josh hiring and agent is beyond stupid. Please Josh........consider the full ramifications of what you are doing. Whoever you are listening to is leading you down the wrong path. I will never, ever believe Self would give his blessing.

KUDUDE 3 years ago

THIS GUY HERE ALEXKENNEDYNBA IS SAYING JOSH SELBY WILL ENTER THE NBA DRAFT AND HIRE AN AGENT . ACCORDING TO SOURCES. HE CURRENTLY WORKING OUT AT IMPACT BASKETBALL IN LAS VEGAS.

HawksFan417 3 years ago

I just watched a bunch of video's of Ben. His playing style seems to be similar to Kevin Durant. He has the smoothest jumpshot and some sweet post moves. Selby should be back, AND healthy. No matter what anyone says he wasn't 100% after his semi stress fracture. Withey should be a force next year as well. He lost 25 pounds after that surgery and he just needs to gain his weight back. Add another year of Danny's coaching and he should be a force on the inside. Now we just pray that the twins and T-Rob stay.

KU_Alumn_2000 3 years ago

My opinion...and I'm not wanting to be negative or judgmental...but Selby would be absolutely nuts to declare for the draft.

tydon27 3 years ago

What's it matter if he misses a couple classes as long as he's passing all his classes. Sounds like he's on the way towards making a decision whether or not he's going.

kusportsdotcom 3 years ago

it amuses me the lack of commitment guys like Selby have to school. if he really is back at home this week, surely he's going to the draft. you can't just skip school... though, i guess if you're a bball player, you can.