Originally published April 5, 2011 at 02:26p.m., updated April 6, 2011 at 12:00a.m.

KU QB Berglund to be in town to watch handful of spring practices

Quarterback Brock Berglund.

Quarterback Brock Berglund.

Three practices into spring drills, the Kansas University football program received some good news Tuesday.

Brock Berglund, the three-star quarterback from Highlands Ranch, Colo., who graduated from Valor Christian High last December, enrolled and began taking classes at KU in January and returned home in early March because of “personal circumstances,” told the Journal-World, via text message, that he would be in town to watch a portion of spring practice.

Originally expected to miss the entire spring, Berglund said Tuesday he planned to come to Lawrence to be with the team Wednesday through Saturday for the next two weeks.

“I’ll be there to watch, learn and to be with my teammates as a part of the Jayhawk football family,” Berglund said.

When he arrives, Berglund will be competing with returning quarterbacks Quinn Mecham, a senior, and Jordan Webb, a sophomore. His presence this spring, though not as beneficial as if he were actually participating, could help his chances in the race to become KU’s starting QB.

“Absolutely,” KU coach Turner Gill said on signing day in February of Berglund having a chance to win the job as KU’s starting quarterback. “All four of the (members of the Class of 2011) who are (enrolled in classes at KU) right now have a slightly better chance because they’ve already gotten acclimated with the campus and also to their teammates and our coaching staff. They’re six months ahead of the guys who will be coming in later. It doesn’t mean that they’re always going to respond in the right way, but they’ll have a better chance. They’ll have a better chance of not just competing for a job, but competing for a starting job.”

Berglund, 6-foot-4, 205 pounds, is the 13th-ranked dual-threat quarterback in the country and the No. 3 player from the Class of 2011 in Colorado. He led Valor Christian to back-to-back state titles and, last fall, was named the Colorado 4A Player of the Year after throwing for 2,150 yards and rushing for 952 more.

He signed with KU after originally committing to Colorado and then backing out on that oral commitment when CU fired Dan Hawkins.

Known for having abundant confidence in his abilities, Berglund said he did not expect anything to be handed to him at KU and realized he’d have to earn whatever he got.

“I believe in my abilities and what God has blessed me with,” Berglund told the Journal-World in January. “If I’m the first-string guy, then I’m the first-string guy. If I’m a back-up, I’m a back-up. Wherever I land is where I land. But I’m gonna put everything out there. I’m gonna give it all I have.”

Added Gill: “Brock is the ideal student-athlete we want in our program. He has proven that he is a winner. He not only has great football skills, but he possesses great vision and tremendous leadership abilities.”

The Jayhawks were off on Tuesday and will return to the practice field this afternoon for the fourth of 15 spring practices.

Comments

Ed Brown 3 years ago

Sorry to hear of another KU athlete with some personal issues but I sure hope he makes it back strong and leads us to something great this football season. Luckily there isn't much but upside from last year.

ahpersecoachinexperience 3 years ago

OK - I'm actually his girlfriend. He just emailed me to say he'll be enrolled this summer.

KU_Alumn_2000 3 years ago

Ahper - dude you've turned into a comedian overnight. I know you're not neccessarily liked on here...but you are pretty hillarious sometimes.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years ago

come on guys! this is the third bb and his girlfriend article and nobody has said:

ahper just wishes he had a girlfriend ahper's boyfriend had no problem with him going away to school ahper would go after bb's girl except she's over 18 etc. . . (no harm of malice towards myself?!?!)

i mean, it's had enough doing my job and now i have to do yours!

KGphoto 3 years ago

Nice photo. Taken by the Hubble Telescope no doubt. Is this the only picture anybody has taken since he committed, then ran home, then promised to return and watch?

Fortesque Beagleton 3 years ago

Meh. I'll believe it when I see it.

Ben Kliewer 3 years ago

I think ahperse has made the fact pretty clear that Brock is having girlfriend issues, with the solid evidence he heard it from someone who heard something. It's quite obvious that Gill recruited this kid with the knowledge that he was going to have girlfriend problems, leave for the spring, and from that fact, knew that he lacked any football talent whatsoever. This is in contrast to all the well adjusted, mature and business-like activities of our guys on the basketball team.

Matt Tait 3 years ago

UPDATE

Hey everyone, I just updated this story because Berglund text me back to explain that he would be here this spring just as an observer...

Not the big news that we originally thought, but I think it's a great sign about Berglund's commitment to KU.

Sorry for the mix-up and thanks for reading!

UPDATE

swunruhawk 3 years ago

Great update. Good to see this young man is making every effort to be involved right now! That says a lot. Thanks Tait!

Matt Bowers 3 years ago

As a coach I would consider the following: how does this look to my other quarterbacks that have been on campus and attended every practice and how is this guy supposed to step in and be a leader when he is not around? The football team is developing relationships with fellow players that are on campus and that is my main point.

I want KU to win as much as the next fan, but let's not count our eggs before they hatch. Hopefully the other two quarterbacks will give Berglund a run for his money.

Rock Chalk

Matt Tait 3 years ago

Haven't had a chance to talk to coaches about it yet... We don't get access again until Monday, but I'll see what I can do.

tpatt 3 years ago

Matt, Do they expect him to play in the spring game?

Jason Montgomery 3 years ago

This could be the difference between 3-9 and 4-8!!!! Looking forward to the spring game.

Dickless Head 3 years ago

"I believe in my abilities and what God has blessed me with,” Berglund told the Journal-World in January.

That explains how Turner got this guy.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years ago

"if his girlfriend let's him" is missing from the headline.

d_prowess 3 years ago

Nice job Tait on getting this great info out so fast. Everyone knows this guy is who the staff hopes to be our starter, although they will never say it. I feel like Brock making it back for most of Spring ball also says something positive about him and how committed he is to the team. Good luck to him!

Clarence Haynes 3 years ago

Point of clarification: If he is not at school, how can he participate in sprimg practice?