Originally published April 5, 2011 at 02:26p.m., updated April 6, 2011 at 12:00a.m.

KU QB Berglund to be in town to watch handful of spring practices

Quarterback Brock Berglund.

Quarterback Brock Berglund.

Three practices into spring drills, the Kansas University football program received some good news Tuesday.

Brock Berglund, the three-star quarterback from Highlands Ranch, Colo., who graduated from Valor Christian High last December, enrolled and began taking classes at KU in January and returned home in early March because of “personal circumstances,” told the Journal-World, via text message, that he would be in town to watch a portion of spring practice.

Originally expected to miss the entire spring, Berglund said Tuesday he planned to come to Lawrence to be with the team Wednesday through Saturday for the next two weeks.

“I’ll be there to watch, learn and to be with my teammates as a part of the Jayhawk football family,” Berglund said.

When he arrives, Berglund will be competing with returning quarterbacks Quinn Mecham, a senior, and Jordan Webb, a sophomore. His presence this spring, though not as beneficial as if he were actually participating, could help his chances in the race to become KU’s starting QB.

“Absolutely,” KU coach Turner Gill said on signing day in February of Berglund having a chance to win the job as KU’s starting quarterback. “All four of the (members of the Class of 2011) who are (enrolled in classes at KU) right now have a slightly better chance because they’ve already gotten acclimated with the campus and also to their teammates and our coaching staff. They’re six months ahead of the guys who will be coming in later. It doesn’t mean that they’re always going to respond in the right way, but they’ll have a better chance. They’ll have a better chance of not just competing for a job, but competing for a starting job.”

Berglund, 6-foot-4, 205 pounds, is the 13th-ranked dual-threat quarterback in the country and the No. 3 player from the Class of 2011 in Colorado. He led Valor Christian to back-to-back state titles and, last fall, was named the Colorado 4A Player of the Year after throwing for 2,150 yards and rushing for 952 more.

He signed with KU after originally committing to Colorado and then backing out on that oral commitment when CU fired Dan Hawkins.

Known for having abundant confidence in his abilities, Berglund said he did not expect anything to be handed to him at KU and realized he’d have to earn whatever he got.

“I believe in my abilities and what God has blessed me with,” Berglund told the Journal-World in January. “If I’m the first-string guy, then I’m the first-string guy. If I’m a back-up, I’m a back-up. Wherever I land is where I land. But I’m gonna put everything out there. I’m gonna give it all I have.”

Added Gill: “Brock is the ideal student-athlete we want in our program. He has proven that he is a winner. He not only has great football skills, but he possesses great vision and tremendous leadership abilities.”

The Jayhawks were off on Tuesday and will return to the practice field this afternoon for the fourth of 15 spring practices.

Comments

Clarence Haynes 3 years, 6 months ago

Point of clarification: If he is not at school, how can he participate in sprimg practice?

Matt Tait 3 years, 6 months ago

He's been taking KU classes on-line while at home.... I'll add that into the story. Thanks.

John Randall 3 years, 6 months ago

Did you read the article, or just the headline?

He will observe, not participate. It will help his mental preparation, but with no reps, still leave him with ground to make up.

When I say "make up" ground, I mean compared to what his development might be as a full participant – regardless of how other candidates do in their own circumstances.

John Randall 3 years, 6 months ago

One very important aspect of Brock's readiness to compete by August is in the area of strength and conditioning – it's very doubtful he can come very close to what Andrea Hudey (sp?), or our football equivalent, accomplishes with (barely) post-adolescent athletes.

d_prowess 3 years, 6 months ago

Nice job Tait on getting this great info out so fast. Everyone knows this guy is who the staff hopes to be our starter, although they will never say it. I feel like Brock making it back for most of Spring ball also says something positive about him and how committed he is to the team. Good luck to him!

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 6 months ago

"if his girlfriend let's him" is missing from the headline.

NebraskaJayhawk 3 years, 6 months ago

Pretty sure if you're going to criticize someone on their grammar, you probably better spell grammar correctly without punctuation.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you puncuated it on purpose in an effort to sound "hickish".

NebraskaJayhawk 3 years, 6 months ago

I'll correct my own...punctuated*.

Let's not be grammar dorks this coming season.

John Randall 3 years, 6 months ago

Who is being more of a dork – the poor gramarrian, or his critics? Sometimes, it's a close call.

NebraskaJayhawk 3 years, 6 months ago

I'll correct my own...punctuated*.

Hope that suits you, Milehighhawk. :)

Jonathan Allison 3 years, 6 months ago

the added apostrophe was clearly a jab at ahpers' use of the apostrophe in the word "lets"

d_prowess 3 years, 6 months ago

So true ahperse... I like to see that you are starting to come around to this team!!

John Randall 3 years, 6 months ago

Don't give ahp too much credit ... his primary goal still is to establish that his observations and opinions are more astute, more accurate, more enlightened than ours.

3 years, 6 months ago

LOL - castingaspersionexperience has an alter ego now - - is that you having fun, 100? :^)

Chris Bailey 3 years, 6 months ago

There are now TWO ahpersecoachingexperience denoted by the 2 after one of them. Not to kill your hope of him coming around but I think the original is still a skeptic of Gill's team/abilities.

Jason Montgomery 3 years, 6 months ago

This could be the difference between 3-9 and 4-8!!!! Looking forward to the spring game.

tpatt 3 years, 6 months ago

Matt, Do they expect him to play in the spring game?

John Randall 3 years, 6 months ago

Look up the words "observe" and "participate", then answer your own question.

Matt Tait 3 years, 6 months ago

Haven't had a chance to talk to coaches about it yet... We don't get access again until Monday, but I'll see what I can do.

Matt Bowers 3 years, 6 months ago

As a coach I would consider the following: how does this look to my other quarterbacks that have been on campus and attended every practice and how is this guy supposed to step in and be a leader when he is not around? The football team is developing relationships with fellow players that are on campus and that is my main point.

I want KU to win as much as the next fan, but let's not count our eggs before they hatch. Hopefully the other two quarterbacks will give Berglund a run for his money.

Rock Chalk

Jared Grillot 3 years, 6 months ago

On the other hand - threw for 2 and ran for almost 1, those are nice numbers. I'd like him to be on campus, too, but, life happens. "Personal circumstances" aren't necessarily the same as "I'd rather stay home in OKC and work out there, and come in later". Since he came in early in January, and he's trying to come in for the practices, then he is doing SOMETHING to stay on top of things here. Otherwise he could just come in during the summer like many other incoming freshmen will.

kujayhox 3 years, 6 months ago

we count all the eggs we want, but we are not going to count our chickens before they hatch lol

i am not going to speculate on this kid until he suits up and plays. and when i mean suit up i mean with the word "KANSAS" on the front. there are plenty of good high school qb's that dont pan out in college, i hope he isnt one of them. i hope he is better than sparky was (to use mangino's old nick name) but until i see him play, i cannot make a good decision on whether he will benefit the team or not. remember adam barmann? 6'4" 210, had great size and he was thought to be a great qb, but he just couldnt perform on the field. but todd reesing was a tiny guy and ran the offense flawlessly. so i will say again that i am going to wait and see what this guy can do, but that doesnt mean i am any less excited about this coming season. i honestly think that we are going to be a better team than we were last year.

rcjh go ku!

John Randall 3 years, 6 months ago

lot of time, lack of capitalization offends me only slightly, since keyboards only have two SHIFT keys.

one instance hard to forgive is the case of first person, singular, nominative pronoun.

hope you are not offended by my taking offense.

kujayhox 3 years, 6 months ago

eh. no big deal. there are wars and stuff going on, but if you seriously are worried about me being grammatically correct, be my guest. lol

Matt Tait 3 years, 6 months ago

UPDATE

Hey everyone, I just updated this story because Berglund text me back to explain that he would be here this spring just as an observer...

Not the big news that we originally thought, but I think it's a great sign about Berglund's commitment to KU.

Sorry for the mix-up and thanks for reading!

UPDATE

d_prowess 3 years, 6 months ago

What?! You couldn't get the whole story from him in only 140 characters! Just kidding, we all get the limits of texting.

Matt Tait 3 years, 6 months ago

Ha!!! I tried to talk with him but he said he was busy. The whole thing was a little vague, but it sounded like he was coming for spring ball, which... I guess he is.

Too bad it's just to watch, but I do think it shows his level of commitment to KU and that he'll be here this summer.

Let the countdown begin....

79ictjhawk 3 years, 6 months ago

Matt, Do you know the reason why he's only going to be an observer?

Matt Tait 3 years, 6 months ago

Working on it. Hoping to catch up with Brock - In Person - when he's in town...

John Randall 3 years, 6 months ago

"personal" circumstances –– IOW, NOYDB.

Stan Unruh 3 years, 6 months ago

Great update. Good to see this young man is making every effort to be involved right now! That says a lot. Thanks Tait!

Ben Kliewer 3 years, 6 months ago

I think ahperse has made the fact pretty clear that Brock is having girlfriend issues, with the solid evidence he heard it from someone who heard something. It's quite obvious that Gill recruited this kid with the knowledge that he was going to have girlfriend problems, leave for the spring, and from that fact, knew that he lacked any football talent whatsoever. This is in contrast to all the well adjusted, mature and business-like activities of our guys on the basketball team.

Dirk Medema 3 years, 6 months ago

Where's the sarcasm font when you need it.

KGphoto 3 years, 6 months ago

Nice photo. Taken by the Hubble Telescope no doubt. Is this the only picture anybody has taken since he committed, then ran home, then promised to return and watch?

Dirk Medema 3 years, 6 months ago

Isn't it from the camp last summer? Not this year.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 6 months ago

come on guys! this is the third bb and his girlfriend article and nobody has said:

ahper just wishes he had a girlfriend ahper's boyfriend had no problem with him going away to school ahper would go after bb's girl except she's over 18 etc. . . (no harm of malice towards myself?!?!)

i mean, it's had enough doing my job and now i have to do yours!

kujayhox 3 years, 6 months ago

i think you are just waiting to see what number he wears so you can buy his jersey. its cool ahperse, i am excited about the season too! we will all be waving the wheat as we beat k-state and mizzou!

Ben Kliewer 3 years, 6 months ago

I think you're just trying to get your new nickname "ahper" trending...

KU_Alumn_2000 3 years, 6 months ago

Ahper - dude you've turned into a comedian overnight. I know you're not neccessarily liked on here...but you are pretty hillarious sometimes.

Andy Tweedy 3 years, 6 months ago

Everyone seemed to get along with him during basketball season, it's when the evil ahperse shows up in the fall that everyone turns on him. Or maybe his girlfriend got work release this past winter and he was in a good mood! (there you go, Ahperse, does that work for you?)

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 6 months ago

nah, it's just last year everyone thought i was a jerk off. now people think maybe, just maybe, i might be right on my takes.

yes 90, much better!

ahpersecoachinexperience 3 years, 6 months ago

OK - I'm actually his girlfriend. He just emailed me to say he'll be enrolled this summer.

Ben Kliewer 3 years, 6 months ago

Did you just respond to yourself, or did somebody's post get deleted?

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 6 months ago

Mini me has a similar user name as I do except he is missing the letter "g".

Jared Grillot 3 years, 6 months ago

Don't forget ahpersecoachingexperience2 - he's out there somewhere as well...

bad_dog 3 years, 6 months ago

I hear "little g's" hanging out over at Sesame Street.

Ben Kliewer 3 years, 6 months ago

Wow, this all getting WAY out of hand...haha

Ed Brown 3 years, 6 months ago

Sorry to hear of another KU athlete with some personal issues but I sure hope he makes it back strong and leads us to something great this football season. Luckily there isn't much but upside from last year.

John Randall 3 years, 6 months ago

Agree it's sad we have to allow athletes to have personalities. Why can't they just be perfectly adjusted like the rest of us?