Tuesday, April 5, 2011

KU fourth in final ESPN/USA Today coaches poll

The Kansas men's basketball team placed fourth in the final ESPN/USA Today coaches poll released Monday.

Connecticut was first, picking up 30 of 31 first-place votes. Ohio State, which finished fifth, received the other first-place vote.

Butler was second, followed by Kentucky, KU and OSU.

The complete poll is below.

ESPN/USA Today men's college basketball poll

1. Connecticut (30) 32-9 773 8
  20. Marquette 22-15 159 NR
  21. Richmond 29-8 152 NR
  22. Louisville 25-10 147 11
  23. Washington 24-11 108 23
  24. Kansas State 23-11 73 24
  25. Utah State 30-4 51 17

Others receiving votes: Temple 41; West Virginia 34; St. John's 33; Texas A&M; 31; Xavier 31; UCLA 25; Cincinnati 24; Vanderbilt 24; Wichita State 20; George Mason 9; Michigan 9; Old Dominion 9; Gonzaga 7; Georgetown 5; Missouri 2; Illinois 1.

Comments

SelbyInc 8 years, 10 months ago

who cares....we blew it :( I wish late night was this weekend already....

Sam Brockert 8 years, 10 months ago

You say we blew it, but you didn't even have KU winning it in your bracket, so I guess they did exactly what you expected them to do.

esubrett 8 years, 10 months ago

Notre Dame winning it all......is this Digger Phelps in disguise?

JayhawkBigXII 8 years, 10 months ago

The 3 top teams have a total of 28 losses... followed by lowly Kansas and Ohio State with 3 losses each and the top two spots in the RPI. What a stupid year this has been. At least we ended the season ahead of Dook. That indeed, is reason to celebrate.

Dustin Engelken 8 years, 10 months ago

And behind 9-loss Kensucky, which is reason enough not to celebrate.

Michael Bratisax 8 years, 10 months ago

Honestly..I couldn't care less. Being behind Kentucky but ahead of Duke is meaningless. If Duke had Irving all season they probably would have won it all but $hit happens
I was surprised at how well Irving played in the NCAA considering he only played in 11 games this season...But that is a completely different issue. I've never seen a bracket open up like it did for KU. If someone had said; 'to play in the ncaa championship game, you must beat VCU and then Butler', I would have bet my house that we would have. These last two seasons have ended disastrously.. I still keep thinking we could have had back to back championships. These opportunities are rare and we come away with nada.

Jacobpaul81 8 years, 10 months ago

Single elimination tourney does not decide the best team. That's always been true. For decades. Why people put such an emphasis on the stupid thing, I will never understand. It's like saying the 30 games before didn't mean anything. Well that's stupid. Why play those 30 games beforehand? Why win 30 games when you can win 20, play your backups against half your schedule, make the tourney, and have fresh starters for the last 6 games?

Just cause a team wins a national title or plays for a national title, does not make them the best team. Clearly, Kansas and Ohio State were the No. 1 & 2 teams this year. Not a 9 loss Uconn team that lost to half of the Big East... most of whom did not advance beyond round 1-2.

Jason Brinker 8 years, 10 months ago

I would tend to agree that the best team doesn't always win the tourney. Butler definitely wasn't the 2nd best team in the country this year or last year either. They just got hot for a 3-week stretch. UConn wasn't the best team throughout the year either. Similarly, KU wasn't the best team when we won it in 1988. We got hot and rode Danny all the way to the title.

It would be interesting to see what a best of 3 series beginning with the Sweet 16 would do for the tourney. I think you'd see a lot less mid-majors advancing. I'm surprised the NCAA hasn't pursued this. It would generate more revenue as it would result in more sites to play games and it would extend the tourney another 2 weeks. They could do a 3-game series from Thursday to Sunday...play Thursday/Friday...then skip a day and hold a rubber match Sunday if needed. So each of the last 4 rounds of the tourney would take an entire weekend to play out.

Yeah, there would still be some upsets prior to the Sweet 16, but overall I think you'd see the best teams prevail in the end. There's no way KU drops 2 of 3 to VCU this year. Wouldn't have helped us last year losing in the 2nd round though. I would bet a lot of people might think that it would take some of the fun and excitement out of the tourney though. The NBA, MLB, and NHL all use the series approach. Maybe it's time for the NCAA to try it...

Redlandsjhawk 8 years, 10 months ago

Finally a voice (or two) of reason. It's not a championship series, it's a tournament. Just a tournament. Winning it is always great and you get to call yourself national champs but last night showed it for what it is or what it sometimes is. But nothing is going to change, it is what it is and people love it. Heck I love it so it would be hypocritical of me to criticize it just because we didn't win. My only hope is that so many people on this board wouldn't make it sound like the end of the world when we lose.This system does not value the regular season, true. I value every game. To me the game I want to win most is the next one; November or April.

Chayse Patrick 8 years, 10 months ago

I've been saying that since 1986. The year KU beat never nervous Pervis twice!!!! Format the Elite 8 similiar to the CWS.

Chayse Patrick 8 years, 10 months ago

GeoHawk15 8 years, 10 months ago

Perhaps a World Cup style tournament approach where the sweet 16 is decided by a round robin tournament in each pod city over the 1st weekend. Then go to single elimination.

John Randall 8 years, 10 months ago

When you propose this, you should also shorten the regular season by two weeks (4 games) to preserve the pretense that these are student-athletes and should attend classes once in a while. Then all your least favorite teams would lose revenue or transfer to lower divisions.

Otherwise, just remove the C from NCAA.

burnedout 8 years, 10 months ago

Jacobpaul81 - you are exactly right on all points. But - nobody cares that you went 32-2 during the season. All they remember is losing to .....whoever it was that I never heard of before. Or Bucknell, or Bradley, or Northern Iowa. If almost any other team in the nation wound up the season at 35-3 and fourth overall in the Top 25, it would be an unbelievable dream season. For me, it's just another waste. Hence the "Burnedout" name. And every year that they pull these kinds of stunts makes me less and less enthusiastic. I'm about fed up with KU putting the Cinderella teams on the basketball map.

ahpersecoachingexperience 8 years, 10 months ago

who is the butthead that didn't vote uconn number 1?

klineisanazi 8 years, 10 months ago

Maybe they didn't think UConn was the best team in the country.

haydenhawkco 8 years, 10 months ago

Mike Adras - NAU. He also voted KU as second. He feels he should vote for the best team in the country; not the team that won the tournament.

Mike Kendall 8 years, 10 months ago

I would like to know that, too, milehigh!

Alohahawk 8 years, 10 months ago

While disappointing that we didn't win it all, as JayhawkBig XII points out KU did have a far better record than those above us in the final poll. If the tournament were to be played "best of five (or seven)", the law of averages would probably have favored KU vs Ohio State for the championship. KU just had a terrible shooting night against VCU. I think if VCU had not started out so hot shooting 3's, KU would not have panicked and the Hawks 3's would have fallen.

And for the season, KU did have more wins than any other team. KU had 35, while Ohio State and San Diego State each had 34.

As far as most wins overall, we gained six wins against Kenstinky, and the same against N. Carolina. We should be leading N. Carolina now, and be about 15 (?) behind Kenstinky.

Garry Wright 8 years, 10 months ago

14 behind UK and 5 ahead of UNC: UK 2052 wins, KU 2038 & UNC 2033.

Mike Kendall 8 years, 10 months ago

Yep, 1952----thanks, too! I am going to keep track of this from now on.

bradynsdad 8 years, 10 months ago

I think it will put everyone's mind at ease and help them sleep better knowing dick vitals put out his top six teams next year. That's right folks ku is nowhere to be found and he has unc winning it all. This is very uncharacteristic of vital.

jayhawkintexas 8 years, 10 months ago

UConn was the tournament winner but I wouldn't call them national champions. Put Ohio State and KU in a gym somewhere with no referees and let's decide who the real national champion is. At least we have the satisfaction of knowing that Butler shot worse than we did for a major game.

Steve Misner 8 years, 10 months ago

I think Wichita State should have had some top 10 consideration. They would have given a lot of the teams in the "Big Dance" a run for their money.

Mike Kendall 8 years, 10 months ago

Amen, Harley---think the Shockers should have been ranked in the Top 25.

Michael Auchard 8 years, 10 months ago

The worst part is, I'm now forced to consider el grande cheatador Calhoun and his "program" nearly on par with the University of Kansas. Three titles each. Wish we could have just manned up against VCU and made this a non-issue. No blame, just disappointed.

John Randall 8 years, 10 months ago

To be realistic, "titles" fall into three eras;

pre-NCAA tourney –– retroactive designation by a handful of supposed experts, and a few years of UPI, AP, several others;

fledgling NCAA tourney, gradually progressing from 8 to 12, 16, (conf champs only, geographic regions seeded independently), stuttering between 22-25 for a few years, then 32, 48 teams (with 16 1st-rd byes);

field of 64 -- beginning in 1985 (disregarding silliness of play-in games or 'rounds'), scholarship limits, eligibility rules, seeded by committee, balance of strength between Regions, as we still know it.

In the current era, no team has won more than four, KU is among a handful with three, UNLV and UCLA each have one . . . you can look them all up if it's important to you.

mojayhawk 8 years, 10 months ago

Congratulations to our TEAM, COACHES, AND STAFF!

Disappointing end to otherwise a great great season!

Thanks for the ride, and on to next year!

hayjawk 8 years, 10 months ago

I sure am proud of this team and Coach Self for giving us such a great season. Coach Self is far and away the best college coach in the game at this time. I don't care what the naysayers and sideline critics say, I would not trade coaches with any other school. To the kids who are moving on, thanks again for your great effort. To the kids who are going to be back, I am so looking forward to next year. ROCK CHALK!

burnedout 8 years, 10 months ago

He is without question one of the very best coaches in the country - until March. All you have to do is look at the record and know that he is one of the WORST at tournament time. The 2008 Championship is an anomaly. Aside from that, we struggle mightily against far inferior competition on a regular basis. Yes, I'm sour and I apologize for that. I have been a diehard Jayhawk fan for over 40 years and it makes me sick to be the best team in the country for 4+ months and then to be a laughinstock at tournament time. I WOULD trade coaches - with a lot of teams. Butler and VCU to start with. You suppose Davis and Smart have access to the kinds of players we do? They will NOW.

John Randall 8 years, 10 months ago

Question:

Are those "trades" for one year, or two?

ku_foaf 8 years, 10 months ago

I am so glad we are so spoiled by having a great basketball program that some have complain earlier about a Big 12 Championship, a 35-3 record, finishing in the Great Eight, and a fourth place finish in the polls. Please keep "disappointing" us like this!!

Everyone is disappointed when we don't win the NCAA tournament, that's natural. Every year, at least nine Top Ten teams go home disappointed.The team considered best just doesn't win always, even after dominating all year. Georgetown in '85 and UNLV in '91 come to mind. Every school that has a top five program goes home from the NCAA tournament disappointed the vast majority of times. We are a very elite program by winning 3 (or 5 depending how you count) national championships.

I can hardly wait for next year. If we do lose some players to the pros, pressure will be off and any outstanding success will be all gravy.

BCRavenJHawkfan 8 years, 10 months ago

In terms of tournament play, I will say the thing I believe the NIT has over the NCAA is the top seeds play at HOME the first rounds. Not at some "near home POD". That alone weeds out many of the lesser teams without having a best of series.

REHawk 8 years, 10 months ago

Congratulations, Jayhawk coaches and players. Terrific season. Thanks for taking us along with you. Those who are leaving, best of luck in all future endeavors. In my memory bank, you are safely deposited as Champions. To those returning, bust your fannies until November and come back with the determination to blitz all comers.

KUlolly 8 years, 10 months ago

It was a disappointing finish but a great season! What a fun bunch to watch play! Who doesn't want to win a title but we all know how difficult it is to get it done! Think back to Pierce/Pollard/Vaughn/Haase---hands down the best team in the country that year and lost in the sweet 16. We aren't the only team to ever lose games in the tourney we should have won.

Glad to see Wichita State end the season with some votes in the final poll! We have GREAT basketball in our state!

Scott Smetana 8 years, 10 months ago

Great ideas above. You would think that many, including most fans who tried to watch the national championship game are tired of lucky, red-hot mid-majors make the final 4. Most of the country would love to see Ohio St, KU, UConn, Duke get back on the floor to determine the 'best' team.

Pod play sounds awesome! Just like the World Cup! 1st round games at home sounds awesome...reward teams for great regular seasons!

Wanna laugh? http://youtu.be/AuYlkmPZFZc

John Randall 8 years, 10 months ago

FYI -- the Pod system is the antithesis of home-court for anyone at any time. It makes everyone travel, just minimizes the distances.