Originally published April 3, 2011 at 04:02p.m., updated April 3, 2011 at 06:59p.m.

St. Louis prep Ben McLemore commits to Kansas

Guard picks KU over mom’s beloved MU

Ben McLemore meets with the media after announcing his decision to attend Kansas University on Sunday, April 3, 2011.

photo

— Sitting in a dark meeting room in the basement of Sears Centre, with his mom, Sonya, to his left and AAU coach, Darius Cobb, to his right, Ben McLemore finally put an end to his college recruitment late Sunday afternoon in this Chicago suburb.

“Rock Chalk Jayhawk,” McLemore exclaimed in choosing Kansas University over rival Missouri.

McLemore, a 6-foot-5 senior guard from St. Louis, announced his choice after scoring 14 points — two off a vicious dunk in overtime — in the Black Team’s 109-100 victory over the White squad in the NeXt All-America Classic.

McLemore entered the interview room with his cousin, Richard Boyd, and girlfriend, Tricia, who added some levity to the situation.

Richard wore a Mizzou T-shirt (he stressed later he’s a KU fan, but needed to wear MU’s colors to pull off the joke) and Tricia a KU top.

The two applauded as McLemore announced his choice of the Jayhawks.

“I had a good high school senior year (first at Oak Hill Academy, where he was dismissed for violating undisclosed team rules, then at Houston’s Christian Life Center). I feel I played hard all year,” McLemore said in beginning the news conference.

“I narrowed it down to Kansas and Missouri. I sat down and talked to my mom last night. It was a tough decision, but next year I’ll be at Kansas University.”

McLemore visited KU for the 2010 Late Night in the Phog and later made a trip to Columbia, Mo.

It was the KU trip that first started to soften his mom, a Mizzou fan who goes by the nickname “Peaches.”

“It was great. The love was there. The excitement was there. I felt it is where he needed to be,” Sonya said of KU. “The crowd was nice. The people were nice. It felt comfortable.”

Still, she admitted there were some “friendly fights” in the family in the months leading up to the decision, which became easy when MU coach Mike Anderson recently took the Arkansas job.

Truth be known, Ben this past year needed to be sold on KU as well. He said KU’s coaches did a good job telling him how he’d fit into the system. He’s been around the program, having attended KU’s Elite camp the past four summers.

“Really, people don’t know this, but I grew up loving Mizzou,” Ben said. “My mom is a big fan of Mizzou. When Kansas came to the table, I knew they were a good program, but the decision was still back and forth. We decided it was the best place for me.”

Ben’s little brother, Kevin, a 16-year-old sophomore at St. Louis’ Normandy High, confirmed it was tough watching his brother wrestle over the decision between KU and his mom’s love, Mizzou.

“Talking with him it was just big emotion all the time,” Kevin said. “I was rooting for both schools. My mom always watches Mizzou when they play on TV. The way it worked out, I feel great. He played great today and then picked a great school. It was a good choice and a great day for my brother.”

McLemore’s cousin, Richard, said during all-star game festivities, “We were kept in suspense all weekend. In my opinion, what made up his mind was when Missouri’s coach left for Arkansas. Ben asked him if he was staying, and he (Anderson) told him yes. That all made it easier on him.

“Let everybody know I’m a Kansas fan,” Richard added. “I took the Missouri shirt off right away (at news conference).”

AAU coach Cobb believes McLemore will be able to fit in at KU right away.

“Look up in the dictionary ‘team player’ and it’s Ben,” Cobb said. “He could score 30, 40 (he averaged 16 points and seven boards at his Houston high school), but I’ve seen him defer to get other people shots.

“The kid is so humble. If you tell him to be the man, he’ll be the man. If you tell him you want him to red-shirt, he’ll red-shirt. The way I describe him is, Ben is a role player. If you need him to get 30, he’ll get 30. If you need shut-down defense, he defends. He is one of the most athletic kids in the country.”

McLemore was asked about his upcoming role at KU.

Coach Cobb said he’ll definitely play hard and do what’s asked of him.

“If you show me a person who doesn’t like Ben, I will show you a person who has a problem,” Cobb said, adding that he believes McLemore will have no problem qualifying for a scholarship.

KU fans’ first glimpse of McLemore will be at Late Night.

The huge family contingent — including his mom, three sisters and brother — that attended Sunday’s all-star game and news conference will be on hand.

“I want to see Late Night,” coach Cobb said, “because Ben is a pretty good dancer, too.”

Mom may have to wear two T-shirts during that trip to Lawrence, one before and after Late Night and one during.

“I will always be a Mizzou fan,” Sonya said. “But this is something he wanted. I’m proud of him and happy for him.”

Notes

Just 300 fans attended the all-star game in 9,700-seat Sears Centre. ... Jamari Traylor, a 6-7 forward from IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla., scored 11 points with five rebounds for the winning team. He has a list of KU, St. John’s, Mississippi State and Indiana. He said he’ll visit KU in coming weeks. ... The game was not televised on CBS Sports Network as planned. Officials said before the game the sponsors didn’t provide the money for the network show. Nobody was informed of the change in plans until right before tipoff. ... McLemore will sign in the April signing period. KU has also signed point guard Naadir Tharpe and has at least two additional scholarships to give, more if non-seniors head to the NBA Draft. ... Tharpe reported on his Twitter account Sunday that he scored 10 points and had eight assists in the East’s 106-103 loss to the West in Saturday’s All-America high school all star game in Houston.

Comments

availablejones1 4 years, 4 months ago

Kicked off hoops factory/puppy mill.....Errrrr, ...."Prep team" for "unspecified violation".....Either he did something really bad/stupid, or was just last straw after other warnings....

Another CJ or JR?

Love your "Choke at all costs" mentality, Bill......Can't wait to hear all the excuses next March ....

Cmill1221 4 years, 4 months ago

JR was a ROY recruit. Nice try tho. Next time brush up on your facts before you start posting on a board and bad mouthing the coach, or judging a 18 year old kid before he has even steped on campus.

Selbyville 4 years, 4 months ago

Another ripe young athlete, always a good thing. Welcome

lee3022 4 years, 4 months ago

Great choice of education. Great choice of campus. Great choice of basketball team. Great choice! Welcome aboard Ben.

El Jay 4 years, 4 months ago

Rock Chalk BMac! Im super stoked to have this kid, we definitely need him

lee3022 4 years, 4 months ago

JayhawkPMac 4 years, 4 months ago

Congratulations Ben! Glad to see you coming to Lawrence! This could be the start of something great. Now if we can get Daniels and two more of the others... KU could be lookin' good. Too bad the twins don't look like they are hanging around for another year - or I'd be saying KU wins the tourney next year hands down!!

lee3022 4 years, 4 months ago

Perhaps premature to see what they will do? I give zero credence to rumors.

JayhawkPMac 4 years, 4 months ago

You're absolutely right lee3022. I just don't think it looks good for us as Jayhawk fans - of course we want them to stay as long as possible! But hey, if they choose to go to the NBA, then we'll all root for them and support them and if they decide to stay longer, we'll do the same! Rock Chalk Jayhawk for life!!

gchawk 4 years, 4 months ago

Sorry for the correction, arrowhead, but I'm sure you meant "on to". There are just too many connotations with the other word!

David Leathers 4 years, 4 months ago

gchawk, you're funny.

by the way, would "gc" happen to mean Garden City?

gchawk 4 years, 4 months ago

Yes it does, and I'm glad you saw humor!

Bob Forer 4 years, 4 months ago

Not much of a surprise, but he had chosen Mizzou, we Hawk fans would have been slightly devastated. Welcome aboard, young man.

farawayhawk 4 years, 4 months ago

Ben, welcome to the greatest basketball environment on Earth! Glad to have you!

gchawk 4 years, 4 months ago

Ben, congrats on making a very wise decision, you will never regret it. Rock Chalk!

drwho127 4 years, 4 months ago

Welcome to Jayhawk Nation Ben! Now let's go get Deandre and a few others!

MimiHawk 4 years, 4 months ago

“We need to hit a home run ... one, but the bases need to be full,” HCBS

Ben's on base !

Rock Chalk

Alohahawk 4 years, 4 months ago

So is Tharpe. Add two to fill the bases (a big and small forward), then let TRob swing for the fences.

Welcome aboard, Ben.

KUbsee69 4 years, 4 months ago

Just how many bases are on your baseball diamond? Looks like four.

coloradojayhawk 4 years, 4 months ago

They may play differently out in Hawaii (from his/her name).

Alohahawk 4 years, 4 months ago

Big oops. My mistake. But I'll take a five bagger if it's the right recruits. Can't wait for KU's first Big "Mac" attack.

And I am a member of the male gender. (see below, Coloradojayhawk)

coloradojayhawk 4 years, 4 months ago

Thanks. I'll trust you and not have to verify it myself. .

Jonathan Allison 4 years, 4 months ago

Despite that the quote from Self was an obvious baseball analogy, I like to think that Aloha was either simply making a small amendment to the rulebook, citing a sport they play in Hawaii that no one on the continent has heard of, or inventing his own game.

rockchalk1414 4 years, 4 months ago

glad to see all the doubters that said he was going to arkansas get proved wrong!

phi4life940 4 years, 4 months ago

I thought UofA was a possibility after he said he might "pull a rabbit out of his hat and surprise everyone."

I'm so glad he is coming to KU!

Jaminrawk 4 years, 4 months ago

Glad to have him aboard. We knew he loved KU all along but I was getting worried. Tharpe and McLemore is a really nice start to this class. I'm excited to see who else we land.

Kevin Studer 4 years, 4 months ago

This really is some much-needed good news. Welcome to the Family!

Andy Tweedy 4 years, 4 months ago

I, like everybody else, would love to see Daniels follow, but I was reading an evaluation of him on ESPN and it basically said (and I paraphrase) that he is a great scorer but not a team player and doesn't pass. Now I have never seen this kid play, but that sure doesn't sound like the kind of kid HCBS usually embraces in his rotation. Maybe if we don't get him and do get someone else it won't be such a terrible thing...who knows.

milehighhawk 4 years, 4 months ago

Same thing was said about Brandon Rush coming out of HS.

I trust Self's judgment over other evaluations...

kesmithstl1 4 years, 4 months ago

Coach K at Duke wouldn't recruit him if that was the case!

waywardJay 4 years, 4 months ago

At this point, Coach K will take anythign that lives and breaths... UNC is heading back to monster status, and Duke.... Crickets. he needs something, anything.,,,, He might have to get his feet a little muddy next year, and you know how much he hates Dirt.

Jonathan Allison 4 years, 4 months ago

Too bad the Plumlee's don't make point gaurds.

Hard to fill an entire roster with power forwards and centers.

John Boyle 4 years, 4 months ago

He has three kids coming that played in the McDonalds all-american game. I don't think it would be accurate to say he would take anythign(anything) that lives and breaths. He can be very picky. He is a great coach.

oldalum 4 years, 4 months ago

Maybe that's what they need from him on the team he plays on now.

LSHawk 4 years, 4 months ago

Anyone know where I can read more about this kid?

Lance Hobson 4 years, 4 months ago

This guy looks like an arrogant punk. I wish I didn't see that.

Selbyville 4 years, 4 months ago

he's yamming on those guys, if you knew the feeling you would understand

JHawk241 4 years, 4 months ago

You have to have some swagger to survive in AAU / prep school ball.

Geekinout 4 years, 4 months ago

I see technical fouls in KU's future...

MimiHawk 4 years, 4 months ago

I watched the video of Ben playing at the Jayhawk Invitational... I'm looking forward to seeing him at Late Night

Kristen Downing 4 years, 4 months ago

I would sure like to know why him and his friend were kicked out of their previous "academy". I just don't want anymore problem children....I don't believe in "win at any cost".

drwho127 4 years, 4 months ago

Another recruit that is from Missouri we are targeting is Otto Porter, 6'9" small forward? That's what ESPN lists him as. KU has been targeting him. Other schools looking at him are Georgetown, Tennesee, Arkansas, Missouri and us. If he is really 6'9", he can play the 4 spot. http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/103783/otto-porter

rockchalk6 4 years, 4 months ago

Love the mu fans posts on youtube begging him to come there and dogging on KU. MUCK FIZZOU.

greenworld 4 years, 4 months ago

Yeah and he's suppose to have Paul Pierce type of abilities except he is a 6'5'' guard. So I guess he is more comparable to a Jalen Rose or Derrick Rose type player.

Wayne Seymour 4 years, 4 months ago

HOPE HE HELPS THE TEAM MORE THAN SELBY, WHO THE NEWS PEOPLE RATED THE NUMBER ONE PLAYER IN THE US A COUPLE YEARS.......ANYWAY GLAD HE IS COMING

BewareOfThePhogOnTheWater 4 years, 4 months ago

Welcome to Jayhawk Nation, Ben. Glad to have you as a member of the family. Rock Chalk

JHAWKNPHX 4 years, 4 months ago

Welcome to JHAWK NATION Ben!!!! RCJHK!!!

DWWChiefsfan 4 years, 4 months ago

Julius Randle.

All Area First Team (Dallas/Ft. Worth) Rated the #3 Player by Rivals in the Class of 2013. Prestonwood Christian and plays with KU commit Zach Peters. 6'8"

He is only a Sophomore but he is on the radar scope.

DDDHawk 4 years, 4 months ago

Welcome, Ben! You have become part of a great family with awesome tradition!

NH_JHawk 4 years, 4 months ago

Welcome BMac! Perhaps a new nickname is needed though since I always think of BMac as Brandon McAnderson.

sayers48 4 years, 4 months ago

You wouldn't happen to be the Jonathan Allison who used to live in Pittsburg, KS, would you?

Jonathan Allison 4 years, 4 months ago

I went to Pitt State my freshman year in '03-'04, lived in Tanner Annex. That was my only year in Pittsburg.

Krohnutz 4 years, 4 months ago

Very happy about this. Big guard that can shoot. I'm hoping if the Morris twins decide to leave that Daniels does not go to Duke, but instead comes here.

Hope the twins come back next year though.

jaybate 4 years, 4 months ago

Is Ben projected as a 40% trey shooter?

Joe Baker 4 years, 4 months ago

don't think so and we could see him 3 for sure and maybe 4 yrs

Hail_To_Thee 4 years, 4 months ago

Was there a feed or a clip of the announcement?

jaybate 4 years, 4 months ago

Congratulations, Coach Self. A number 17 rated player is at least a triple.

Now, I guess I will need to be curious again.

I wondered what Ben was weighing between the time Anderson jumped to UArk and today?

Was he:

a) waiting to see if MU would hire Painter, because he liked Painter's game?

b) waitng to see if Anderson would offer from UArk?

c) weighing last second offers by Cal, Consonants, Roy and Calhoun? or

d) all of the above?

Ben keeps saying the key issue has been weighing which style of play would best suit his game.

Bens says the attraction of Anderson at MU was Anderson's up and down game.

Anderson leaves.

Ben does not say yes to KU ASAP.

What about Self Ball caused him to hesitate?

Oh, well, file this under Unsolved Mysteries such as who discovered fire?

Dillweed 4 years, 4 months ago

My guess is he wanted to announce at the NeXt All America Classic tourney and knew he was going to KU all along. Last year Selby waited until an all-star tourney to announce.

jaybate 4 years, 4 months ago

This is my day to be wised up. Thanks.

JHawk241 4 years, 4 months ago

I don't think his mom would let him just decide to kick her school when they were down and announce either the day after Anderson left, or the day after Painter turned them down.

Jabez Harlan 4 years, 4 months ago

Also, it looks like BMac wanted KU all along, pretty much right after his attending late night. It took him this long to convince his family (his mom) that KU was the right choice.

jaybate 4 years, 4 months ago

Calling all Ben Mac specialists. Is Ben likely to start at 2, or 3? Or is he likely to backup at those two spots? I am hoping he is a 2. I have for so long wanted KU to have a rangy 2.

Selbyville 4 years, 4 months ago

Seems like a three to me. I watched a couple of his AAU games and his handles aren't super great right now. Self is probably looking at a defender and a slasher, so I think he backs up Releford with TT, EJ and hopefully Selby rotating as combos

Big men: hard to speculate until Morris twins make it official as well as Thomas

Andy Tweedy 4 years, 4 months ago

If Selby comes back, I can't imagine he won't start at the 2, so I would guess this kid is more likely to play the 3. Wouldn't you think so? I'm fairly sure TT will man the point with EJ as his backup.

Jonathan Allison 4 years, 4 months ago

I had a vision of a starting 5 with TT, EJ, Selby, Releford, Robinson at the 1 thru 5 positions.

I don't know if it means anything, but it's an interesting line-up option none the less.

Mike Bratisax 4 years, 4 months ago

EJ still coming off the bench as a jr? I guess Releford, Woolridge,Teahan and Tharpe will be getting cleanup minutes.

Dan Harris 4 years, 4 months ago

MJ? Lets let him come in and prove himself before we start comparing him to the greatest player of all time!

coloradojayhawk 4 years, 4 months ago

Not the greatest player of all time - and wouldn't even be the best on the Jayhawks - Wilt changed basketball while he was here for his two varsity plus one JV year.

I'd love for Big Mac to be that worthy, but I think we don't even need to leave campus to find the greatest player of all time.

Brian Powell 4 years, 4 months ago

Really depends on who we have coming back next year, as to how/when he fits into rotation. Also how well he does in preseason, practice, and early season -- still a lot to be determined.

Will be nice to have him though!

Kye Clark 4 years, 4 months ago

To those who still are worried about his dismissal from Oak Hill and are concerned about character issues, please step back from the ledge. The only character issue I had with him was that he was considering Fizzou! As most have speculated, this probably had more to do with his mother wanting him to stay close to home. We have no idea what team rules he and his teammate violated that warranted getting him kicked off the team. As has been well documented, that team centered around getting Quinn Cook as many shots as possible. This no doubt was not conducive to good team chemistry, and it could be as simple as him and his teammate blowing off practice. I've seen other posters jump to the "criminal" conclusion, but we have no evidence of that. Violation of team rules is pretty broad and vague. Since it is only reported that he was dismissed from the team and not the school altogether (choosing to leave the school on his own to continue playing basketball elsewhere), I would guess it probably wasn't anything too severe.

Now, getting Daniels would be great, but he is projected to be a 3 (6'7"-6'8", 180-191 lbs, depending on which recruiting service you look at. Regardless, the guy is thin as a rail!). It's already getting crowded on the perimeter! Let's say...Selby & Taylor stay. That's those 2, plus Tharpe & EJ as PG/SG. Releford & McLemore at the 2/3. Throw in Royce Woolridge, and that's 7 guys for the 3 perimeter spots. You always take talent when you can get it, but we may be as loaded at the 1-3 spots as we could be depleted in the post.

redlegger 4 years, 4 months ago

+1 icthawk on your "step back from the ledge" comments.

The article quotes his AAU Coach (Coach Cobb) as saying “If you show me a person who doesn’t like Ben, I will show you a person who has a problem."

100 4 years, 4 months ago

Sonya you are my favorite Missouri fan ever!!!!

Welcome to Jayhawk nation, the home of the best moms in the nation!

kkoenig 4 years, 4 months ago

Anyone know what happened to OakvilleJHawk? He predicted McLemore to KU months & months ago. Hope Oakville's still with us.

jaybate 4 years, 4 months ago

This proves he can hit the knuckle ball.

LeBo 4 years, 4 months ago

Welcome bruh! You made my day after the Cardinals look so bad this year. Got to have a Budweiser and some Red Hot Riplets to celebrate!

Redlandsjhawk 4 years, 4 months ago

Or a pork steak sandwich with some Mauls.

ancient_hawk 4 years, 4 months ago

Nice stroke, I wish I could have seen how it looked while being challenged.

Woody Cragg 4 years, 4 months ago

I'm still so pi$$ed at losing to VCU 've barely posted in over a week so time to come out of the woodwork. Have been reading & taking in alot from other posters on Self-ball, coaching, recruiting, etc. Hopefully he does sign in Apr & this isn't just another showtime showoff. I watched some of the utube video above & don't understand why kids or others put this "all about me" crap out there. The proof is in the pudding; remember Mr Selby? We'll see. At least we got a verbal commit. Better than nothing at this point, but we need some bigs & they don't all have to be on the Rivals radar either. What we need are blue collar guys & not chippers. Guys that are commited to education enough they'll likely stay long enough to become really improved players. JMO.

KEITHMILES05 4 years, 4 months ago

Found it very odd his mom says she'll always be a mizzery fan. She should keep that to herself. If she wishes to be a part of the Jayhawk family then this "closet" support of mizzery needs not be discussed. She sounds extremely reluctant to have Ben come to KU. Hopefully over time she'll renounce those slavers in mizzery and fully accept and embrace being a Jayhawk. I've never, ever read of any parent being openly accepting and embracing of a rival but grudingly allowing their son to attend KU. To have Anderson tell Ben he would be at mizzery then leaves during the night should be a clear indication of the kind of program he was running. Why would she be enarmored with that sort of BS?

Jaminrawk 4 years, 4 months ago

The same reason you like KU: you always have. I dislike MIZZOU too but you have to keep things in perspective.

Dan Harris 4 years, 4 months ago

As much as it's hard to understand how anybody in their right mind could root for Mizzu we shouldn't expect her to automatically switch allegiance just because her son is coming to KU now. I married a sooner and have tried for over 20 years to make her see the light but she's a stubborn gal! lol!

loyal2thaphog 4 years, 4 months ago

Pleeez, I hope you don't really feel that way. She stated in the article that she supports Ben's decision to attend KU. I'm guessing, being that she lives in St. Louis, she was a Missouri fan long before Anderson took over the program, as are most of his family that root for the Ti-gre's. High caliber athletes don't pick a school based on who they grew up rooting for or in this case I suppose against...Most college athletes don't get the opportunity to play for and represent their favorite childhood team. When selecting which school to commit to, HS seniors look for a number of things, logical things, like who is going to be coaching them during their "college experience"(one variable that seems quite pertinent in this case) playing time, playing style, then you get into other things such as: work out facilities, location, tradition, history, etc, etc, etc. The ignorance and stupidity of your post causes me momentary embarrassment to call myself a Jayhawk. Get real. We just picked up a verbal from stud and you can't get over the fact that he is from Missouri and most everyone around him him is a Tiger fan. I'll end where I started... pleez.

CRIMSONnBLUE 4 years, 4 months ago

His friend Richard needs an ass kicking!

Carolyn Troupe 4 years, 4 months ago

I just saw Parade magazine's list of their top three teams, I guess 30 players with no KU commits. The thing is, I think many of these top high school players look for programs where they will be the stars, like they were in HS. If you come to KU, you will be expected to be part of a TEAM. I'd bet that if Selby went somewhere else, he would have started and whatever happened happened. AT KU he is part of the team. Brandon Rush probably would have been a bigger scorer elsewhere, but he wouldn't have benn a champion or improved his game to the same extent.

"Some Ways to Help Sonya Adapt to Lawrence::

~Get her a big cushy crimson and blue seat cushion with a Tiger stitched on it.

~Remind her that Forrest Allen grew up in Missouri and played and coached for Central Missouri State.

~Send her emails that say, "All KU mothers are 'Tigresses' about protecting their Jayhawk basketball player sons."

~Everyone who sees her says, "Mrs. White was never disappointed her son played for KU."

~Tell her how much fun she is going to have being on the winning side of KU-MU games.

~Let her know we will all do the Rock Chalk Chant for her.

~Buy her a Mac Air and stream the MU games to her on the nights when KU and MU are both playing other teams.

~Hire her a body guard trained in tazing Antlers for the games in Columbia.

~Promise not to make Queen Snyder jokes.

~Teller her Sparky Stalcup was an Iba disciple, too.

~Stop saying Fizzou around her.

(Note: all fiction. No malice.)

Jonathan Allison 4 years, 4 months ago

"~Promise not to make Queen Snyder jokes."

that's just not a promise I can keep.

SoCalAlum 4 years, 4 months ago

Good News in a Bad News Week:

1 “You do not go in college thinking you are going to get a spot,” said Rivals.com’s No. 17-rated player nationally. “You go in and work every day. I will be in the gym 24-7 until I get there. When I get there, I will go hard or go home.”

**Ben's got a great attitude to start - no entitlement issues.

2 ." If you need him to get 30, he’ll get 30. If you need shut-down defense, he defends."

**and, he'll learn to be an even better defender.

3 “It was tough. Really tough,” mom said of the discussions with her son. “He came to me and said, ‘KU is where I want to go.’ As a mother, I support him.”

**Outstanding...mom is a lifelong Missouri fan but goes along with her son's decision to go to KU. Thank you, Peaches.

Lukewarm Good News in a Bad News Week: “Really, people don’t know this, but I grew up loving Mizzou,” Ben said. “My mom is a big fan of Mizzou. When Kansas came to the table, I knew they were a good program, but the decision was still back and forth. " **Yes, I guess it's safe to conclude KU is "a good program."

kolliflowerkid 4 years, 4 months ago

Great recruit! Dismissed last month from his team roster for an "unspecified" team rule violation. A great addition to the Jayhawks, he will fit right in! Yea, Rawk Chawk was really lucky to get him!

Michael Gentemann 4 years, 4 months ago

Maull's (double L at the end) Don't baste your barbecue, Maull it! Now, I'm hungry.

Hank Cross 4 years, 4 months ago

I don't care if someone was born and raised in Columbia, was a descedant of Quantrill and wore a Derrick Chievous jersey as a kid, if someone puts on the KU uniform and gets the job done, he's alright by me.

Andy Tweedy 4 years, 4 months ago

I haven't thought about that band-aid man in a long, long time. Thanks for the nostalgia!!!

ahpersecoachingexperience 4 years, 4 months ago

every parents worst nightmare is not geting a call from the cops saying to come pick up your kid from jail. it's your favorite team's rival coach calling and wanting to offer your son a scholarship! "peaches" this is a good thing for both you and your son.

seeing as how jayhawk nation will be introduced to both on late night, i suggest the first ever mother/son dance. peaches and cream by 112 comes to mind,

didjabuti 4 years, 4 months ago

You want to see a kid dance with his mom to song about oral sex?

Kye Clark 4 years, 4 months ago

What a great day! We sign McLemore, and I just saw Fizzou filled their head coaching vacancy. Frank Haith...come on down! (Feel free to say "who?", I know I did!). Reading the comments on the espn.com story is hilarious! As someone there said, "Welcome to the Big 12 cellar!"

ahpersecoachingexperience 4 years, 4 months ago

not only that, but how about martin to replace him?

Kye Clark 4 years, 4 months ago

Well...we'll see. From what I'm hearing Miami lacks the dough to bring him there. Which makes sense, if he's willing to go there and they wanted to bring him in you'd have thought they would have just fired Haith.

ahpersecoachingexperience 4 years, 4 months ago

Yeah, but don't think he won't work ksu for some money.

If they could at least match ksu I wouldn't be surprised. He's from the area (mahattan or Miami, hmmmmmmmmm), has family, has recruiting ties, and there ain't much coming back next year.

Kye Clark 4 years, 4 months ago

Some great twitter quotes from Pat Forde:

"Frank Haith. Nice man. Would not have hired him with Monopoly money. But we'll see."

"If Missouri has really hired Frank Haith, Mike Alden better have the Explanation of the Century."

Woody Cragg 4 years, 4 months ago

No matter whom the coach, they're still misery. Hell they still fly the confederate flag about 50 mi South of Columbia, I've seen it!

Lex Valdez 4 years, 4 months ago

u made the right choice ben! rock chalk jayhawk ku!

s6u6r6f 4 years, 4 months ago

Nice. And Haith to Mizzou: ha ha ha ha ha!!!!! Rock chalk, brothers and sisters.

longhawk 4 years, 4 months ago

Why report what Tharpe "tweets" about his game last night? The game WAS televised on ESPNU at 9:30. Didn't anyone at least watch in order to give us an accurate report? Also to notice that Perry Ellis also played a very nice game?

I watched, and let me tell you something--if there really are 90 players in this class better than Tharp, then this is one heck of a class. He saw the floor well and was always looking to make the pass first. Looks like a player. Shot looked a little flat, but 2 3-pointers (at least while I was watching, anyway) went in.

jayhawktalk 4 years, 4 months ago

I watched the game. Naadir looked fantastic. His game is polished, excellent handle, and as you stated above (and all the scouting reports indicate), he is a pass first point guard. I left the game with the impression that he was easily the best point guard in that game, and one of the best players on the court. He scored when needed, but forced nothing, and if you are a future teammate, you have to love his passing. This is thrown out way too often, but Naadir looks to actually be a guy with the potential to make everyone around him better.

He was poised, under control, and smiling. I am very excited about his future as a Jayhawk. I had hoped to see good things from him, but he pleasantly exceeded my expectations. Having him on the team should allow for a lot of flexibility in the rotations... If all the bigs leave, I just hope he doesn't have to play the 4 spot... Ruh roh, Shaggy.

Getting Ben gives us more length and athleticism on the perimeter, something we sorely lacked most of this season, and which I think everyone had hoped to see from Travis, but we were denied due to the ankle injury.

Jabez Harlan 4 years, 4 months ago

Naadir Tharpe is the real deal!! He can shoot from three, he is a lock down defender, and he is possibly the best assist man I have seen.

He always finds the open man. Whether he is on the break, cross court, or under the basket, Tharpe has the uncanny ability to pass the ball perfectly to the right spot. He will easily be the best passer in a KU uniform next year, possibly in an NCAA uniform!

The only reason that I can see that he is not a 5 star recruit is because of his lack of height. He is a little undersized to create his own shot whenever he wants, but that is okay since he will be playing with Taylor, EJ, Selby, and BMac.

Things are looking good for the KU backcourt. Now KU needs to secure a couple of bigs and the Jayhawks will be right back in the top ten, competing for league titles, and playing in the tourney with a bulls-eye on the back.

Andy Tweedy 4 years, 4 months ago

The only thing that makes me nervous about this signing is the coach saying he will surely qualify. That means he hasn't yet...anybody else notice that?

cklarock 4 years, 4 months ago

Good for you. I wonder if you'll be able to remain a Mizzou fan after the treatment they give your son? It won't be pretty.

At any rate, welcome to the KU family, Sonya, home of the Best Basketball Moms in the Nation (tm).

Jack Wilson 4 years, 4 months ago

Just an observation -- but isn't it sad that all we talk about is Marcus and Markieff's mom, and Tyshawn mom, and TRob's late mother, and Selby's mom, and now Ben's mom?

What I am curious about is where are their fathers?

Actually, this is a problem that is an epidemic in the black community. There was a discussion yesterday on another thread about socio-economic status. Regardless of race, it's awful hard to gain upward movement in your socio-economic status if you're a single mom.

If the young men above are paying attention, that is perhaps the best life lesson they can gain as they move forward. The "Family Over Everything" statement that was used this season should be a great message of responsibility in all aspects of life.

drwho127 4 years, 4 months ago

Another recruiting note...OU lost one of their recruits when they hired Kruger. 6'10" Center named Richard Peters. We could possibly take a look at him as well if the Twins decide to make the jump.

Mike Kendall 4 years, 4 months ago

Wow! Great news! I hit my head on the ceiling when I found out about Ben committing to KU. It is good news with the Hawks losing to VCU. Welcome aboard, Ben! Tradition, AFH atmosphere and the best coach in America. It doesn't get any better than this! Rock Chalk!

jaybate 4 years, 4 months ago

"Coaching Carousel Sets in Motion Potentially Epic Rivalry in Okie Ball, Deep Basketball and Other Coaching Notes"

~Kruger to OU--Better Money, Better Conference, Better Time Zone, Retirement Prep, Redeeming Okie Ball in Norman and Lon vs. Bill Deep Basketball: Lon Kruger gets $2.2M bone per year--some serious calcification. Kruger gets back into a power conference at a school that is likely to wind up sooner or later through merger with the power conference holy grail--a BCS conference with footprints in EST and CST. Did I mentiion Kruger escapes the TV/recruiting tomb of PST in a non-power conference?

But Kruger to OU also taps into "deep basketball" and sets in motion currents not immediately apparent to the superficial board rat.

Deep basketball refers to the historico-mythological legacies of the game that play out over time beneath the now gaudy, TV hyped surface of the game. Because Kansas is home to the father of the game and the father of basketball coaching, KU basketball, what I call The Legacy, is endlessly involved in Deep Basketball currents, often in surprising and unexpected ways. There is the game, and then there is the" deep game."

Not everyone is comfortable talking about the deep game, because it introduces a slightly mysterious, somewhat speculative layer of complexity some do not want in their recreation. But the deep game is there, even though the main stream media, and the coaches themselves, do not discuss it publicly.

Deep basketball centers on the interplay of the various strains of the game that have evolved in the century since Naismith and Allen set this all in motion. Deep basketball is one of the forces that yields the surface of the game we see. Deep basketball involves the informal coaching mafias, and their underlying philosophies of how to coach and play the game, and their legal/ethical/moral codes of behavior that lead to recognizable continuities in how the game is coached, recruited, played and profitted from at the surface.

jaybate 4 years, 4 months ago

School administrators tendency to hire certain kinds of coaches from certain kinds of legacies hints at deep basketball. Coaching is a profession. Within that profession, there are a number of recognizable networks. Okie Ballers are one. The networks have legacies. The legacies are ways of coaching, ways of operating programs, ways of recruiting, ways of behaving toward the rules that have evolved over time, but have a recognizable continuity--a branding effect, if you will. When a chancellor hires an Okie Baller coach, whatever the coaches personal pecadilloes may be, one can expect a kind of play, a kind of recruiting, a kind of approach to players, a kind of political approach to administrators and alums, a kind of coaching network that one may draw from should the coach hired succeed and move upward to a bigger, better school/program.

Deep Basketball has history and it has mythologies and mythological figures. The interplay of the mythologies often produces some of the most exciting and memorable events of college basketball.

So: back to Unibrow.

Kruger to OU means much more than the superficial talking points the OU AD and Boren put out for public consumption; i.e., he re-builds programs, he wins, he's coached pro and college, he's honest, etc.

Kruger to OU meand Okie Baller Kruger gets to redeem Okie Ball at OU.

Early Okie Baller Doyle Parrack tried and failed in Norman long, long ago. Parrack was an Iba player, long time Iba assistant, one of the brains behind Iba Ball, and the missing link between Iba and the Three Wise Men of Okie Ball (Iba disciples Don Haskins, Jack Hartman and Eddie Sutton). Parrack failing at OU in the 50s has lead to a long, long drought of Okie Ballers in Norman, a stain on the Okie Baller legacy and a closed employment opportunity to the Okie Baller Mafia for half a century.

jaybate 4 years, 4 months ago

Kruger, begat by Jack Hartman, began by Hank Iba, and redeeming Doyle Parrack, a mid century phenom of hard Oklahoma hard scrabble basketball is deep mythology in Okie Ball. OSU brand Okie Ball finally conquering in-state rival OU will be viewed on a par with finally placing Bill Self at external rival KU. OU and KU are not only good schools for placing future Okie Ballers coaches (note: schools that hire one Okie Ball tend to hire more), but are deeply symbolic to spreading the gospel of Okie Ball. Both schools were OSU rivals dating back to Iba. KU's Allen was the towering father figure Iba bridled against. OU's Bruce Drake was the only in-state philosophical competitor for Iba Ball once upon a time.

Back to Unibrow.

It is hard to believe the kid from Silver Lake, KS, is 58, but 7-9 years of 25 win seasons would put him out fishing with Eddie at Grand Lake of the Cherokees with a parked luxury RV for following the sun in winter.

But there is this, too: Unibrow wants to compete head to head with Self and find out who is really the best Okie Baller of this generation. Kruger probably thinks he took the job mostly for the money, but it was deep basketball that really drove him to it. Kruger has to carry his version of Hartman's version of Iba Ball into the arena against Self's version of Eddie's version of Iba Ball. There are differences in the two strains. There are bragging rights. There is honor. But above all there is competitive truth. Which way of playing Okie Ball is better: Lon's or Bill's? Which strain should be selected in and which out?

And remember that Okie Ball is about taking what they give you. It is High Plains Judo. It is about inverting play to gain advantage. So what could be more inverted than a Kansas kid from Silver Lake and Jack Hartman's K-State, going to OU to compete against an Oklahoma kid from Edmond and Eddie Sutton's O-State that went to KU to coach? And remember Eddie was from Kansas. And Jack Hartman was from Oklahoma. And OU is the instate rival of OSU. And KU is the out-state rival of OSU. The inversions and oppositions are endless. The only way this could have been more perfectly inverted would have been if Kruger had replaced Ford at Stillwater. But let's be clear; this degree of inversion is sufficient for an epic rivalry to develop. It is enough to set the currents of deep basketball circulating.

jaybate 4 years, 4 months ago

Oh, and it gives Kruger a chance to see whether Bill free rode on what Lon built at Illinois, and then free rode on what Roy built at KU, or if Bill can float his own boat with Lon building a program in his face.

And underneath all of this, it pits a consumate Okie Baller Point Guard (Kruger) against a consummate Okie Baller 2 guard (Self) to see which kind of guard makes the best head coach?

Oh, and it gives Kruger another chance to knock KU off, after he struggled with KU as a player and a coach, when at Manhattan.

~Gillispie to TTech--Career Fibrollation and a Self Baller: Okie Baller Billy Clyde is back and that will make KU recruiting in Baja Oklahoma tougher. For the young, Billy learned his Okie Ball from Self, when he joined Self at Tulsa, followed him to Illinois, and jumped ship for the head job at UTEP. Billy quickly moved to TAM and then UK, which had had a previous, disastrous Okie Baller experience with whiskey-soaked Eddie Sutton. nevertheless hired Billy. Billy reputedly refused to sign a contract with UK, because the written version reputedly had altered terms to the verbal agreement he had reputedly reached with UK. While the contract remained unsigned by Billy for two years, Billy had a drinking episode and UK supposedly fired him. Billy and UK reputedly settled out of court and Billy got his bones, but not his job back. Billy reputedly went through alcohol rehab, came out the other side of the shakes, and landed the TTech job. Billy immediately announced that setting TTech on track would involve getting some bigs. It might take him a couple years to do that, but he will. Regardless of talent, TTech will play Okie Ball and will have another good coach to try to beat.

Haith to MU--Why?: Haith graduated from Elon with no indication of having played the game on his Wiki page entry. He assisted as at Wake, TAM, Penn State, and Texas. He is known for who he recruited. He brought Barnes Lamarcus Aldridge and Daniel Gibson.For that he got the Miami head job. He was .500 at Miami. Missouri appears to have gotten a weak coach and a strong recruiter. Once Haith gets a few bodies, MU will probably dump him. In the interim, he will have MU play Butcher Barnes style mug ball.

Krystkowiak to Utah--probably lured from assisting Avery Johnson in the pros because: a) Utah is joining a Power conference in the Pac Ten, and because he grew up in Basin and Range country.

Joe Baker 4 years, 4 months ago

We get to break out #25 again or possibly #23, BMac's choice.

Either # is a winner's #.

Joe Baker 4 years, 4 months ago

to use CS's baseball analogy, DD up, Simpson on deck and Anderson (DH-twins) in the hole...playball

RockChalk26 4 years, 4 months ago

After watching some BMac youtube clips, I think he will fit well at KU. His game is simple but effective. I can't wait to see him suit up next year.

hawksfan08 4 years, 4 months ago

In Self's normal motion, the 1 and 2 are the same with the 3 being a large wing. Given that, I'd say he's a 3 in our system. However, given the misuse of releford at the 4, who knows.

kranny 4 years, 4 months ago

He's a 6' 5" Kevin Durant type of player. He can take it to the rack or spot up the 3. A better ball handler than X. Henry also. Heard he needs to learn how to play defense but I'm sure Self will get going.

Theutus 4 years, 4 months ago

Durant is like 6'10".... That automatically makes his game completely different than a 6'5 guy.

I understand what you are saying when it comes to attacking the rim and all, but 5" not even including the additional wingspan... I don't think that's a fair comparison.

kranny 4 years, 4 months ago

I agree with the height thing. I'm going off the Youtube videos and how he moves-his fluidity, stroke and smoothness remind me of Durant. He plays taller than 6' 5". The kid has some "ups" and a lot more athleticism than X. Henry who was the same height if I remember right. He will need to borrow a page from TRob's book on energy.

theend 4 years, 4 months ago

This is great......but could also be meaningless. Why? Well folks.....take a nice,long hard look at the players on Butler and UConn. Sure....there's talent there. But they also have toughness and a high basketball intelligence.......and amazing heart. You had better understand that it takes those kind of players to win national championships.

Unless something changes at KU.......we will not get even close to another championship. Sure....we'll be great at beating Iowa State and Texas Tech......but there is a reason Kansas continues to choke in the tournemnt......and it needs to be fixed.

Hank Cross 4 years, 4 months ago

Yep. Same type of excitement when X and Selby were signed. I'm glad he chose KU, but time will tell.

Selbyville 4 years, 4 months ago

I can understand why you would think the way you do, but the UNI and VCU losses were each freak games. Totally and completely oddball games where everything seems to go wrong for us, the box scores of each of those games are so far from the standard that Kansas sets year in and year out.

And your mentions of wins against sub par big 12 teams is a joke. We win big games all season long, but the weight of the tournament losses is enough to blind you from the tremendous success that we have been blessed with.

Things are going pretty well for Kansas, and we are doing a lot of things right

REHawk 4 years, 4 months ago

Welcome aboard, Ben. Your pending decision captured the attention of the Jayhawk Nation throughout this terrific season. Your game will help solidify our perimeter. If you and fellow recruit N. Tharpe adjust quickly to SelfBall, I could envision the coaching staff developing two complete perimeter units to work in and out of games. Between now and late October think defense, work on a pullup midrange shot, and focus intently on becoming an 80%+ freethrow shooter. Then we will see many minutes of your game right from the getgo.

REHawk 4 years, 4 months ago

Frank Haith? Mike Alden has placed his fanny on a giant hotseat. I suppose it says something about the diminished dreams for Mizzou basketball. I will say this: If they stay in Columbia, Mike Anderson's perimeter players are an experienced talented group. If Haith can bring in a couple of dependable big kids to complement established returning players, the Tigers could once again maintain a top five league finish. Is hard to envision them filling The Paige anytime soon, but for the Jayhawk contest.

REHawk 4 years, 4 months ago

Regarding conference hires, I am impressed with the influx of Gillispie and Kruger, two guys who should make life miserable for the likes of frantic aspiring Scott Drew. Curious to see if The Mayor can pull together his hodgepodge of transfers to Ames. Would be a continuing circus if Martin and staff should pull up stakes and race from Manhattan to Miami.

HawkKlaw 4 years, 4 months ago

Now (since it appears that the twins are on their way to the NBA) let's go after DeAndre Daniels! Swing for the fences, Bill!

Jabez Harlan 4 years, 4 months ago

If the Morris twins leave, KU will need a post that is tough and physical underneath the hoop as opposed to Daniels and Porter who are both tall and slender.

Stan Simpson from Bogan Juco in Chicago may be just the guy Self is looking for.

HawkKlaw 4 years, 4 months ago

Well, the way I look at it, if the Morrii leave KU will need a big that can step out and hit jumpers (Daniels...his game really reminds me of Kevin Durant's game), and we'll also need a tough guy underneath for rebounding and blocking purposes (Simpson or possibly Braeden Anderson...I hear KU has been recruiting Anderson pretty heavily).

Dale Kroening 4 years, 4 months ago

Daniels is not a big, he's 6 ' 8 " and 190 pounds, he is a wing. To put that into perspective, Tyrel Reed is 6 ' 3 " and 193 pounds. I dont expect DD to be banging down low regardless where he signs, unless he puts on weight and muscle very fast. I also wouldnt campare him to Durant other than both being tall and skinny. Durant has a 7 foot wingspan, and is a much better passer than Daniels. As far as bigs, Anderson is leaning heavily towards KU right now, so hopefully that continues and he becomes a Jayhawk. I also think we have a good shot at pf Traylor too. Either way, we will be just fine next season.

bubbahawk 4 years, 4 months ago

Welcome. Congratulations. And Thank you. Get ready, study, stay healthy, and enjoy your summer. You will be playing on next year's team.

eastcoasthawk 4 years, 4 months ago

Welcome Ben! Glad to have you on board! Rock Chalk!

Jonathan Allison 4 years, 4 months ago

I'm worried about possibly losing Thomas Robinson and Josh Selby.

Not because I think that they are both so key to the future of our program that losing them will doom us for one or two years. More because of the combined 3 years of Self ball experience that they'd take with them.

KU basketball thrives on sophomores, juniors, and seniors leading and passing the torch to the underclassmen every year.

When a player sits and watches, they learn the value of 100% effort and the value of every possession. It's not something that Bill Self does intentionally. It's more of a byproduct of his offensive systems and his defensive demands. Bill Self preaches effort. He demands good passes, feeding the post, attacking the basket, taking good shots, playing tight defense, fighting through screens, making the right switches, hedging the ball screen, footwork, and attacking the glass. Players don't learn that kind of effort in HS (academically or athletically). It just doesn't happen. They learn it either by having it drilled into their heads by the coaches (the hard way), or by observing it in their teammates (the best way).

Now, I know that even if we lose TRob and Selby, we've still got a lot effort guys coming back. But look the the examples that we're losing: Reed, Morningstar, Little, Marcus and Kieff (assumption). These guys for the past 2 to 5 years have exemplified effort.

Now back to why I'm really concerned about losing TRob and Selby. If they leave, we likely lose 7 players from this year's team. Those guys certainly won't all be replaced by impact freshman and JuCo transfers, but it sets the stage as far as early departures go. I'm not worried about Self bringing in 5 or 7 freshman next year who will battle for a starting spot and then bolt for the NBA (there jsut doesn't appear to be THAT much talent still available).

But it sets the stage for next year. Next year we are supposedly positioning ourselves for a huge recruiting haul. If this fantastic freshman class materializes in 2012, then I'm scared that our program could be caught in a rut where we routinely are bringing in one and done freshman who never have the advantage of learning effort the right way. I constantly read Jaybate's comments about Bill Self's take what they give you coaching style. Well, if we lose 7 key players from this yeras team, take what they give you could lend us to being in Coach Cal's precarious situation, where we depend year in and year out on talented but unrefined freshman to carry a torch that was never properly passed to them.

We may not have 2 or 3, or even 1, one-and-done freshman in the class of 2011. That is yet to be seen. But if we bring in 3 or more of them the following year, we're heading toward a slippery slope.

KEITHMILES05 4 years, 4 months ago

Not sure if many people know this but Frank Haith has a totally opposite style of playing ball compared to Anderson. Every kid Anderson has is geared to his 40 minutes of silliness. Haith is more controlled and half court style play. Can Anderson's kids play that? That adjustment can be huge and kids can be bitter about it.

Jack Wilson 4 years, 4 months ago

Some additional info .. McLemore did attend three high schools, but Wellstone in St. Louis was closed by the state after his junior season, so that's why he left that school. It had nothing to do with him.

Just FYI.

Tony Bandle 4 years, 4 months ago

Not dead yet...it was close, but I am OK. Only one good thing came out of my post-operative crisis for me was that I was too sick to watch the VCU-KU game!!!!

The Lord asked me if it was time to come up or would you like to see Kansas win a National Championship. My reply was " how about two?"

jaybate 4 years, 4 months ago

"...those deep far-away things in him; those occasional flashings-forth of the intuitive Truth in him; those short, quick probings at the very axis of reality;--these are the things that make Shakespeare, Shakespeare." --Herman Melville on Shakespeare

Martin Rosenblum 4 years, 4 months ago

Don't scare us like that! Your absence was mysterious and obviously of concern to a lot of us. Do us a favor, don't watch a replay of the KU-VCU game, it might be hazardous to your health!

Ed Brown 4 years, 3 months ago

Shot you a message before I saw your post. I'm glad you are doing OK. All I can say is pray a little harder! It doesn't sound like he brought you home or the NC. Wishing you a full and speedy recovery.

squirrel62 4 years, 4 months ago

First post on here, so everybody bear with me. I'm a great KU fan, but do like to surf other teams sites. Check out Mizzery's attitude on rockmnation.com. on BMac coming to KU. They're not very happy. Also, check out the string on there about "A public service message from Bill Self." Hilarious! These people just don't like us!

REHawk 4 years, 4 months ago

Missouri A.D. Mike Alden has really gone out on a limb with this Frank Haith hiring. Most folks evaluate Haith as a nice guy who was on the hotseat at Miami with a 43-69 record and only 1 trip to the NCAA Tournament. Immediately Bowers and English announce for the NBA Draft (w/o agents). Point guard Flip Pressey has got to be grinding gears, thinking about transferring. If all those kids return, and if Haith can unearth a couple of big kids, Alden's credibility might survive for at least a year. But right now The Paige looks to be a ghost den by midDecember. Mizzou will become merely a pigskin haven.

jaybate 4 years, 4 months ago

"Would You Please Stop Saying There Are No Differences Between the 2 and 3, Please?"

The title above is how poet/short story writer Raymond Carver might have addressed this strange tendency of some board rats to ignore the tendential differences between the 1, 2, and 3 positions in Self Ball.

What I think throws board rats off is that these three positions are not mutally exclusive (i.e., they have some overlapping skill requirements), but the tendencies of these roles are so significantly different that Self staffs them with different start/backup combinations best able to fulfill the tendencies.

Once and for all the positions are NOT interchangeable! Some times the players are. Most often they are not. Brandon Rush never started at PG. Sherron never started at the 3. Ever.

Some of the guards Self recruits have the skills and physical attributes to play all three positions in a pinch. Most are vastly better suited to one, or two, of the three positions, and not to all 3.

Again, the positions, their primary duties and the statistics that each position tends to generate differ distinctly and sharply.

Point Guard Duties:

The PG dribbles the ball up the floor and so handles the ball much more. The PG also has to reliably make the long pass up the side lines to a 2,3 or 4. The point guard is supposed to penetrate off the dribble at times as he brings it up court. The PG is supposed to modulate tempo. The point guard is who Self yells at to set plays. The point guard tends to guard the opposing team's point guard. The point guard decides will initiate through him on the dribble, through him with a pass to high post, or with him to a wing.

The role is so demanding and distinct that Self dedicated two players full time to this role this past year--Tysahwn Taylor and Elijah Johnson. The role is so sensitive to temporal situationss (e.g., late game) that Self would use Tyrel, or Brady in that position for the periods of the game when the other team can be expected to be fouling, because they were significantly better FT shooters.

Part 2

2 Guard Duties:

For starters, the 2 guard tends to guard the 2 guard. Two guards tend to be taller than PGs, but not always, though they tend to guard and play taller than PGs. 2 guards tend to be better spot up shooters, but not always. 2 guards tend not to initiate the offense from their wing. The offense tends to initiate from the 1, or the 3, but not always. The 2 tends to be the player the ball rotates back around to after play is initiated by the 3 on the opposite wing. The 2 can be a shooter like Tyrel, who parks it out at the trey strip and pops the triceratop, when the ball rotates back, or he can be a lightening quick penetrator to baseline, or over the top and down the key, like Tysahawn was when he played the position. But the 2 is only rarely capable of both (e.g., Chalmers). The two tends to be asked to go to the boards more than the PG in grind it out games, when KU does not hold decisive advantage through the bigs, though their are excepetions (i.e, when a KU PG has several inches on a opposing PG, Self may tell the PG to go to the glass that game and let the 2 handle some PG chores.

3 Short Forward/Wing Dutie:

The 3 is the player that is most often the player that initiates the offense from the wing. At times this year, before Selby slumped and when TT was struggling, the 3 became in essense the wing point. The offense tended to originated out of the 3. The 3 in most offenses is where scoring threats initiate. Located on the PG's right wing, the right handed PG tends to right to the 3, and 3 considers three options:

1) put it on the deck: 2) feed the post on the block 3) pop the triceratop. 4) rotate back to point.

The 3 most often initiates, and the player gets chosen to be a 3, because Self thinks this player has the fullest skill set available to be the biggest threat at that first moment of offensive play running. Neither before, nor after this moment, does the offense have such a large, ordered set of options. Why? Because things break down as the offense unfolds, and the clock shortens and play tends to reduce to 3, or 2 options amidst a lot more disorder. A highly effective 3 is one of the most dangerous weapons in the game.

Part 3

3s tend to be bigger, or at least play bigger than 1s and 2s. They tend to guard bigger players. Rush and X were big. Selby, when healthy, though only 6'3", could get to the rim probably even more surely than Rush, or X. Elijah could also play the 3, but the fact that he can play the 3 and create so much more MUA there, means Self invested in training him and dedicating him to the 1.

3s in Self Ball have to be able to trifectate (to keep the offense from sagging on the post), feed the post (thread it in at odd angles however and whenever the post can get open fleetingly), spot up on the kick out (when post gets doubled), go to the glass (when the bigs don't hold clear edge), guard the opponent's toughest, tallest perimeter player, and get out on the break. Greatness at putting the ball on the deck and getting to the rim is secondary (though desirable), and not even necessary. Rush had no left hand. Brady was only 6'3, and though he had great hops, he did not have big enough hands, or good enough balance for serious aerial work. Still, the 3 has to be able to drive the ball reliably to the lane, or baseline, dish reliably. and above all reliably sort through the four options quickly at the moment he receives the ball. And he has to do all this without letting the ball stick. Guys who look like 3s grow on trees. They are among the most ubiquitous physiques in basketball. But guys with the skills and the basketball IQ are relatively rare, and 3s that hold serious MUA are as rare as Brandon Rush.

Now, can board rats please stop calling Self's 1, 2 and 3 spots largely interchangeable, please? :-)

He tries to recruit guys that might be able to play 2, or 3 of the three perimeter positions, but he quickly specializes them to the distinct tendencies of the three perimeter spots.

jaybate 4 years, 4 months ago

"Note on Letting Next Year's Team Be Itself"

The 2011 team set a record for emotional attachment in my book These guys trials and tribulations were so sympathy inducing, and their heroic struggles at over coming them, so admirable, that many board rats ran around saying, "I love this team" even as it was oscillating wildly on performance. How could someone not love the 2011 team, even if one thought they had significant flaws?

Which brings me to my point: team's like 2011 are, in their own ways, as rare as ring teams. When next season's team comes together, just as we all have needed to guard against withering judgements about a team not being as good as the '08 team, starting now, we have to guard against saying next year's team isn't as "loveable" as the 2011 team. Of course it won't be as loveable.

But it will be something else. Each KU team slowly, inexorably forges its own identity each season. It is one of the most fascinating and fulfilling things about being a basketball fan of KU. In addition the very tangible quest for getting better, for being the best one can be, for winning titles, there is the quest for team identity.

I can hardly wait to see what next year's team identity will be. The only thing that does not change each year is each year's team forging its own unique identity.

Rock Chalk!!!

jaybate 4 years, 4 months ago

KU and Ben Mac owe MU AD Mike Alden a debt of gratitude.

Hiring Frank Haith had to have helped clarify for Mother McClemore how much better off her son would be at KU under Bill Self, than under a .500 coach from MIami who's main claim to fame are the guys he recruited for Barnes at Texas.

Could Frank Haith turn out to be a good hire for MU? Anything is possible.

But would Frank Haith be the best probability of success for Ben?

Not.

Would Bill Self be?

jaybate 4 years, 4 months ago

Suggested headline: "The Missouri Compromise 2.0: MU Hires Haith"

Josh Galler 4 years, 4 months ago

remember guys and gals we have Crowley, Langford's half brother on the team andhe is 6'8"

Dale Kroening 4 years, 4 months ago

You mean Wesley, who is a walkon, and yes he's 6'8", but only 200 pounds, so he's not a banger. No offense to Justin, but if he's in the bigs rotation, we could be in for a Long season. I just dont see him making much impact if any at all.

REHawk 4 years, 4 months ago

Well, it appears that Miami has announced Haith's resignation, but the Missouri curators have not yet approved his hire. Will Frank Martin jump to former home territory Miami? Who could K State lure to Manhattan? Jankovich?

Good Qs.

Martin has a good thing going in Manhattan. It depends on how much he likes home.

Janks would be a great hire, but I don't know if they would do it after his W&L Statement fell of this season.

If I'm a Fizzouri curator, I don't approve and fire Alden.

Good Qs.

If I'm a Fizzouri curator, I don't approve and fire Alden.

treed14ku 4 years, 4 months ago

I'm sad to say it but we have seen the last of Josh Selby. Maryland's Jordan Williams who recently declared for the draft and is now working out in Las Vegas tweeted tonight "me and my brotha @showtimeselby32 bouta hit up walmart real quick!!" Now it doesn't take a genius to connect the dots and see that means Selby is gone. Too bad.

Hank Cross 4 years, 4 months ago

Hope he's not going to miss that Algebra 102 class tomorrow morning.

bradyboy 4 years, 4 months ago

Guys!!! There are rumors everywhere. I am really starting to get nervous. All of our starters and 3 of our top bench plays gone. Could this really be happening? I feel sorry for t rob, selby leaving would be a tragedy, the twins have all ready hired an agent supposedly, if everyone leaves tyshawn will feel left and he will leave also. This week is going to be very nerve-racking fir jayhawk nation. RCJH!!!!!

treed14ku,

Josh Selby...

Josh the Ripper...

Makin' his bed...

Lyin' in it...

Not knowin'...

Not realizin'...

Not listenin'...

Joinin' Carmelo's posse?

Ignorin' Coach Self...

Ignorin' the only man in the world speakin' truth to him...

Self sayin' he's a pro type guard...

Self sayin' he just needs a lotta reps...

Maeshon movin' on?

Josh movin' on?

Not good enough to beat out Brady even with the slump...

Not good enough to beat out Tyrel needing surgery on his bad foot...

Not good enough to beat out Tyshawn even with the suspension and in need of finger surgery...

Not good enough to beat out EJ even with the passes to no one...

Not good enough to be all conference...

Not good enough to hang onto his spot...

Too many pop tarts...

36% from trey...

What's he thinkin'?

What kinda logic is he smokin'

Coulda been uh contendah...

Say it ain't so, Josh the Rippah...

Say u r testin' bottle waters in Vegas...

Say u ain't jumpin' to the L...

Not yet...

Get a spring board season...

Get something under your belt...

Don't bungee jump without a cord.

Don't parachute without your silk.

Let the stress reaction heal...

Come back b4 its 2L8!

KULA 4 years, 4 months ago

Josh will go thru the compounds and his stock in the draft will rise again. Another year will Bill will only cost him a couple million dollars.

KULA 4 years, 4 months ago

What a joke of a championship game. National champions but only ninth in the Big East.

KULA 4 years, 4 months ago

Plus, scumball Calhoun just displaced Phog as the oldest coach to win a national championship. Gotta admit though, the guy did do some coaching tonight.

NationHawk 4 years, 4 months ago

Not to be an incendiary device on what is right now pure speculation and ungrounded rumor of Selby leaving, but if he does, it will come as no surprise to me. At all. Granted, his numbers were not very good this season, that is because of how he was relegated Self's offense, not because he woke up less talented one day. I would NOT want to come back either if I had to play the 2 because TT doesn't have as reliable a shot and has the upper hand for the point spot. With our offense, Josh can't do what he was born to do at the two-spot. Sure, he is a good 3 point shooter, but he needs to be blowing by people in transition and creating shots for others. As I watched the NC tonight, I could not help but think of how his game could (and will perhaps in the NBA or if he ever plays point for KU) look a lot like Kemba's, it's how it would have looked if he played for Calipari or Sean Miller. We have all seen the youtube clips, and unfortunately the scouts may be seeing it in Vegas as I type this. Sure a year would do him a lot of good, but not if he is confined to playing the 2 again.....i hope it is not true, but he is likely ready, he was just at the wrong position all year and the scouts know that too.

KULA 4 years, 4 months ago

+1. And even playing the 2, a kid who hung up 26 in his first college game, relegated to playing behind a couple guys who never scored 20 in four years of college.

53-41.

Did I get this right, or what?

The night Duke beat Butler last season, I said 2010-2011 would be become the next high water mark of XTReme Muscle/Cheap Shotting.

Thanks, Coach Consonants, you lousy weasel, thanks for dragging college basketball all the way into the gutter with cheap shotting last year, so you could get another ring. Thanks for setting the wheels in motion for this awful season of XTReme Muscle/Cheap Shotting/Tripping we have had to live through as a result of it.

This was the most disgraceful display of finals basketball since the 2000 UW-MSU nadir.

No doubt about it.

Imagine Butler shooting 18% overall, 3-31 from Trifectastan, and only losing by 11!!!!!!!

Only in butcher ball. Only in the XTReme Season.

Oh, joy, just think what next season will bring!

As the old Kris Kristofferson song title went, "I'm Down, But I Keep Falling."

Woe is college basketball.

No wonder Josh wants to go to the pros.

Why not?

It is, at last, a better game.

Pardon me, while I pull a Jim Carroll and put my finger waaaaaay in the back of my throat and "get pure."

"This song's for a game that died, died..."

burnedout 4 years, 4 months ago

I hope he's been watching the Josh Selby " How not to be a Jayhawk " films.