Friday, April 1, 2011

Turner Gill more comfortable as spring drills begin

Head coach Turner Gill purses his lips as he makes his way from the field alongside tight end Bradley Dedeaux (87) and defensive coordinator Carl Torbush following the Jayhawks' 6-3 loss to North Dakota State, Saturday, Sept. 4, 2010 at Kivisto Field.

A little more than 12 months ago, Kansas University football coach Turner Gill strolled out to his new team’s practice fields for the first day of spring drills and tried his hardest to project that he was in control.

It wasn’t that difficult. Basking in the abundant sunshine, Gill smiled his trademark smile, joked around with his new players and spoke a language he knows as well as any — football.

Still, while the pieces from all the other spring football openers he had been a part of were in place, Gill was not completely comfortable.

“It was the unknown last year,” Gill told the Journal-World Wednesday, as he counted down the hours to the start of this year’s spring drills, which begin at 3:45 p.m. today. “Now it’s the known. We’re all a lot more in tune to where we’re at.”

For Gill, that means a greater sense of belonging. It’s his program now. He knows it. The players know it. And everything the Jayhawks do they do because that’s the way Gill wants things to be done. From emphasizing greater focus on mental toughness and explosive movements during the offseason conditioning program to which stretches and drills are done in what order during the pre-practice routine, everything that happens has Gill’s stamp on it.

It’s not just Gill who finds that appealing.

“There is a different feel on both sides; I’m talking from a coach’s perspective and from the players’ perspective,” Gill said. “Now they know what the expectation is, and they know what we do and how we go about doing it. Here’s what we have. Here is where we can improve. And here’s how we’re gonna do it.”

Gill and company spent much of last spring getting used to each other. There was new terminology to learn, new rules to adhere to and different philosophies to be bought and sold.

Though a good chunk of every spring is spent shaking off the rust and getting back into the routine, Gill’s hoping this year’s squad will be able to work more on improving and less on feeling comfortable during the next four weeks.

“Now I know how to approach it and I know my players better,” he said. “We know what we need to do to get them to respond in a better way. We didn’t know that last year.”

There are plenty of questions to answer this spring, but, if year two is anything like Gill’s debut, there is no guarantee any of them will be answered.

Firmly planted atop the list of things to watch this spring is the Jayhawks search for a starting quarterback. Senior Quinn Mecham and sophomore Jordan Webb will be in camp and both have starting experience. They’ll be competing for the job with incoming freshman, Brock Berglund, who graduated high school early, enrolled at KU in January but then had to return home to Colorado for the rest of the semester because of “personal circumstances.”

“It would be helpful and great if Brock was here in the spring,” Gill said. “But it doesn’t deteriorate him possibly having an opportunity to still be the guy in the fall. It’s no different than any other school. A lot of (freshmen) quarterbacks are coming in (in August), too. So it’s no different as far as that goes. We’ll just see how it all plays out.”

That’s the same approach Gill plans to take with all positions. No jobs have been handed out, no players are out of the running. Gill likes to give all of his guys a chance to compete for their spots.

“I just really want to see every position be more productive,” Gill said, when asked which position he was most looking forward to evaluating this spring. “We’ve got to be better as a football team and there’s not one position or another that’s more important. I know everybody’s going to look at the quarterback, and I understand that, but I’m looking more at the areas of offense, defense and special teams. (We want to) identify our playmakers and our leadership development. When you have those things in place, you can move forward in trying to be better individually, better as a unit and then, obviously, better as a football team.”

Tharp back in action

Sophomore linebacker Huldon Tharp, 6-foot, 217 pounds from Mulvane, will be back on the field when the Jayhawks open spring drills this afternoon. Tharp, who earned freshman All-American honors in 2009 after racking up 59 tackles while playing in all 12 games, missed the 2010 season because of a foot injury he suffered last August.

Gill said Wednesday that Tharp was 100 percent and ready for spring ball.

“He’s going, he’s going, ready to go,” Gill said.

Three returnees expected to sit

Gill confirmed Wednesday that three returning Jayhawks would miss spring drills because of injuries.

Junior running back Rell Lewis, 5-9, 205, senior cornerback Isiah Barfield, 5-11, 185, and sophomore offensive lineman Riley Spencer, 6-7, 300, all will sit out of contact drills this spring. Barfield and Spencer are recovering from shoulder surgery, and Lewis is still rehabbing the torn ACL that forced him to miss 2010.

Comments

kujayhox 3 years, 4 months ago

i really like the new website for the football team! made me excited about next season.

are those new home, road and alternate jerseys they have on there going to be on the field this year (including names back on the jerseys, the red stripe being back on the helmet AND the jayhawk on the back? cause all that looks really good i think)? and are we keeping the white pants? i still dont know how i feel about those...but i do know that we are going to be a better team than last year. i think what we did against colorado can happen against anyone. i cant wait for the season to start!

rock chalk jayhawk go ku!

LSHawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Hox, what web site are you referring to? I'd like to check it out.

Jayhawk1116 3 years, 3 months ago

I love the new uniforms! Bringin' the names back!!!

bbhawk234 3 years, 3 months ago

Now wait a second...having the names off sure helped last year so why wouldnt it help this year.

TaCityHawkFan 3 years, 3 months ago

Thanks for the update on Tharp, Matt!

Rivethead 3 years, 3 months ago

Despite Coach Gill's statement that this is about "team" (and that being ther reason there are no names on the back of the jersey), the website its surprisingly called:

p>www.coachturnergill.com

I guess www.kansasfootballteam.com was already taken?

Rivethead 3 years, 3 months ago

This should have been a reply to LSHawk

LSHawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Thanks Rivet, you know that site is showing home and away jerseys with "player" on the backs. Does that mean that the guys will have thier names on the jerseys this year?

Rivethead 3 years, 3 months ago

I don't think so. I still think that is Coach Gill's decision and his decision is "no". Those webpages were probably designed by Addidas to show off the latest design of their uniform.

kujayhox 3 years, 3 months ago

i think we will have the names on the jerseys. and i like the new jerseys (if those are going to be the new ones) and i think putting the name plate back on is something that maybe the higher ups at the uni told HCTG to do. maybe they didnt like not seeing names. but the jayhawk is still on it which i totally dig.

100 3 years, 3 months ago

@Rivethead....

Would you prefer it to be called www.tommytubberville.com?

Anyone watch the HBO special the other night on Auburn?

Anyone notice who was coaching Auburn during those handshake years?

Andy Tweedy 3 years, 3 months ago

I did notice that Tubberville had his greasy little hands all over the Auburn stuff that's coming to light. And all I could think about was Mulaza or ahperse, or whoever it was on this site that is always singing his praises. I also wondered if it was a coincidence that TT had one of its best recruiting classes this year. Maybe not, but is it just a coincidence or is he pulling the same shenanigans at Tech?

100 3 years, 3 months ago

Same stuff. A dog doesn't change colors.

Ironic as Tech just gave him a big raise.

Tech fans have to be ticked.

Tubberville will be attacked by the NCAA & Auburn on this. Could be similar to what happened with Bob Huggins at Cincinnatti where he couldnt be an NCAA coach for a few years (ironic because that's the time period where he got to "know" Beasley, Walker & Pullen).

Auburn does need to be careful though because Tubberville has a list they probably don't won't the nation finding out about.

LSHawk 3 years, 3 months ago

The jersey's on that web site are showing "player" on back of uniform, does that mean our guys will have thier names on the jerseys this year??

Randy Glenn 3 years, 3 months ago

Did not mention Kale Pick as a qb candidate-is he moving to another position?

vd 3 years, 3 months ago

Are you guys KU football fans?

Joe Joseph 3 years, 3 months ago

No mention of Kale Pick in the quarterback discussion?

Rivethead 3 years, 3 months ago

Not switching. Switched. He actually caught passes during games last season. Played in 6 games as a WR last season. Caught 3 passes for 18 yards, 9 being the longest.

Joe Joseph 3 years, 3 months ago

Thanks. Didn't know if that was a full-time thing or not.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 3 months ago

Gills trademark smile?!? What about his trademark blank emotionless stare on the sidelines?!? Oh, and if Brock (who considers himself a combination of manning, Vick, and tebow) can't deal with his high school girlfriend, how is he going to take the heat of being a big 12/10 qb?

milehighhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Starting early this year, huh?

Tom Osborne had a blank, emotionless stare. Worked okay for him.

Where do you get that it's Brock's girlfriend? For all we know it could be a death or serious illness in the family. Tasteless, dude.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 3 months ago

Blank and emotionless when you're winning nc's are different than 3-9

deaths or illnesses get reported. Being whipped is "personal circumstance" and check next years girls soccer team to see if any freshman girls from colarado are on it. Then look when she was offered an opportunity to join the team.

Larry Smith 3 years, 3 months ago

Nice speculation. If you cannot back it up, I say you are a liar and have no idea. So......Lets see it LIAR.

jhawkrulz 3 years, 3 months ago

Have to give you credit for doing a little research, many of us surmise, but you actually connected the dots.

Impressive.

bad_dog 3 years, 3 months ago

The "dots" were connected so to speak shortly after the announcement BB wasn't going to be involved in spring drills. I don't recall specifically who posted it, but it wasn't azalum/mulaza/ahperse.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 3 months ago

357 "case of the girlfriends" misinformation on grade and sport but i nailed it!

bad_dog 3 years, 3 months ago

ZZZZzzzzzzzz. What's that sound? Oh it's the drag on my bait casting reel as the Orca takes the bait!

Let's see. What day was it yesterday? Oh yes. April Fools Day. How apropo.

Keep in mind azalum/mulaza/ahperse, I don't make definitive statements unless I know their correct-or have an ulterior motive. I actually reviewed your comment history (probably 20 pages back to March 2) to verify the accuracy of your statement above before getting the old rod & reel out for some old school "trolling".

Gotcha!

Larry Smith 3 years, 3 months ago

Where in that article did it say that Brock went back because of her? I must have missed that?

Michael Maris 3 years, 3 months ago

Brock B. - "Tim Tebow’s just a leader on the field and a motivator, and I like motivating"

rastameta (anonymous) replies… His girlfriend just signed a LOI to play soccer at KU.

March 4, 2011 at 5:34 a.m.

Sure looks like Brock did some good motivating with his woman from February to March of 2011.

Now, get to studying that playbook and get on Campus in June and make sure that you bring your A Game.

Coach Gill will give you a chance to win that QB spot. But, you have to be mentally prepared. And, just play like Brock Berglund. You don't have to compare yourself to M. Vick, T. Tebow or anyone else.

Nice job ahpersecoachingexpeience on the Girlfriend issue. But, I have to tell you, I'm rooting for Coach Gill (as I did Coach Mangino and previous KU Head Coaches). So far, Coach Mason is my favorite. Coach Gottfried wasn't here quite long enough. And, I'm to young to have known Coach Rodgers KU Tenure.

I'm not a KU Alum, but I'm a KU Fan from the late 70's to present day.

RockChalk Jayhawks.

Ben Kliewer 3 years, 3 months ago

That was in response to the "Apology accepted" comment...if you know what I'm referencing, you're as nerdy as I am.

Ben Kliewer 3 years, 3 months ago

That was in reference to the "apology accepted" comment. If you know what I'm referencing, you're as nerdy as I am.

Ben Kliewer 3 years, 3 months ago

Aaaaand now I posted it twice. I need to stop posting on this article now.

KGphoto 3 years, 3 months ago

Tressel http://www.widerights.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/jim-tressel.jpg It doesn't get much more blank than that.

Besides it could be worse. Frank Beamer permanently looks like he just ate a bad fish taco. http://vmedia.rivals.com/IMAGES/Coach/PHOTO/BEAMER.JPG

Rivethead 3 years, 3 months ago

KGphoto. Have some class. Do some research on Beamer, the fire, the skin graphs, etc. before you make fun of Beamer's face.

haydenhawkco 3 years, 3 months ago

classic - I don't agree with the Gill comment but good job on the Brock piece.

Phoggin_Loud 3 years, 3 months ago

I saw this coming a long time ago...Pick to WR.

He always reminded me of Kerry Meier. Very fast but not a real accurate passer.

I wish him the best.

Rivethead 3 years, 3 months ago

You do realize it happened during the middle of last season right? Kale even caught passes in games last season. So did you see this before or after he started the first game last season as our QB?

Phoggin_Loud 3 years, 3 months ago

Actually I stated this last Spring, before the games began. I even posted it after an article.

Ben Kliewer 3 years, 3 months ago

Rivethead seems confused as to why nobody was watching KU football at the end of the season last year. Kidding...kidding. Kinda.

Dirk Medema 3 years, 3 months ago

Matt - Thanks for the update on Rell also. Sad to hear that he's still recovering, because while RB may be stacked, he has shown the ability to be a playmaker. It would seem there should be someplace for him to play.

100 3 years, 3 months ago

Our favorite football troll below.... Oh ahperse.... How we've all missed you. How was your Christmas?

You almost wonder what school he really roots for. Why is their an Auburn emblem on his avatar?

Is he a Tommy Tubbervile fan?

I wonder how Texas Tech feels about the TT hire now? Any wonder why he was campaigning so hard for a job here?

Will Auburn throw Tubberville under the bus or will they stay quiet, knowing Tubberville knows where the bodies are buried?

Waylon Cook 3 years, 3 months ago

Win games and show that we should be on the field with the teams we play=good recruits. A website can only do so much..

KGphoto 3 years, 3 months ago

Prinz Kande is at linebacker now, at a 194 pounds? This one, single move has really convinced me that TG has sold out on getting faster on defense. I got it when Opurum went from LB to DE. Then WRs started moving to safety. But now a 194 pound safety to LB! He's serious. I think it will work too, because Kande is not only fast but he's physical. He has great cover skills and I bet he plays 2011 at about 205-210 lbs. to help endure the grind. That move could be the single biggest position switch of the season.

Along with a healthy Tharp, and the new guys Tunde Bakare and Malcom Walker, this is gonna be a crazy fast, deep, and well-coached group.

I couldn't help notice the omission of several key players, not the least of which is Lubbock Smith. He seems like another candidate for a switch to LB. Also Darrius Parrish, John Williams. Any word on those guys?

rolo2383 3 years, 3 months ago

Parrish left the team but I am surprised that Williams hasn't been getting any attention. I don't think he played much at all last year.

Kande I believe is going to play a hybrid safety/LB position which I think will be a great place for him.

Dan Harris 3 years, 3 months ago

Kande was a beast at Trinity HS(Texas powerhouse) and if he can add another 10 lbs could be a perfect OLB for this defense!

Ben Kliewer 3 years, 3 months ago

I just peed a little bit thinking about that...out of excitement. Gill should come up with some crazyass speed based hybrid defense that nobody can figure out...or something.

Maracas 3 years, 3 months ago

It's going to be another long season.

Dan Harris 3 years, 3 months ago

defeatist attitude! give them a chance

jhawk613 3 years, 3 months ago

Is the website complete? Some freshman are mentioned (D. Miller), but others are absent (Brock and Dreamius).

Ethan Berger 3 years, 3 months ago

Since the majority of incoming recruits are still in high school, id imagine that they wont be on until the summer. D. Miller graduated early and thats why hes on the website.

Ben Kliewer 3 years, 3 months ago

I might as well weigh in...I see it being another long summer of us all calling ahperse and idiot, ahperse calling us all idiots, while the whole time, in actuality, we're all idiots.

p>coachturnergill.com is pretty awesome though. Concerning Uniforms: Those computer mockups of what we can only assume are the new unis do look pretty nice. At least our guys will be looking sharp this year. Looks like, to my delight, they're bringing the crimson helmet stripe back, and player names on the jerseys. Also seems that they're doing all white pants this year, at least according to the mockups. Of course, this is all speculation, they also have pictures of the current jerseys and pants posted (including the crimson jerseys, where did those go last year?) But what I find very intriguing, from a pointless fashion point of view, is the apparent introduction of a "throwback" off-powder blue jersey with a white helmet (?) The only thing that looks throwback about the jersey is the color, otherwise the design is identical to the other mockups of the whites, crimsons, and blues. Save for the player name on the back of the jersey is replaced by a retro Kansas "K." Also, looks like the white shoes are now white/blue shoes. Which is at least better than straight-up white. Gross.

Alright, now that I'm done talking fashion, I can be a man again... Pass me a fuzzy naval, and for my date, the girliest drink you got. Two fuzzy navals, coming up!

Ben Kliewer 3 years, 3 months ago

Also, I bet we'll field a better team this year. I would actually be willing to put money on it...HOWEVER, with the altered conference schedule, who knows if we'll be able to tell or not. But instead of wallowing in depression, I raise a glass (of fuzzy naval) to Coach Gill and say "Here's to the 2011 season! Best of luck! Rock Chalk!" Because instead of choosing to hate, I choose to "Believe!" (Hey, it worked for the Royals! Wait...no it didn't. Oh well. Anyone for "Cowboy Up?")

Call me a hopeless optimist if you will, but like I've said before, it's just a better way to live. But if you prefer to constantly talk about how awful the world is because Turner Gill is the coach, well, enjoy your coronary.

Andy Tweedy 3 years, 3 months ago

I get where you're going...the record might not be better. But it shouldn't be too hard to tell if they're better. We just didn't show up for some of the mid-season games, I sure hope that doesn't happen this time around. Have faith!!!