Friday, April 1, 2011

Brady Morningstar falls to Jacob Pullen in three-point challenge

Kansas University men’s basketball senior Brady Morningstar converted nine three-pointers in the State Farm Three-Point Challenge on Thursday on the University of Houston campus.

Morningstar didn’t make it out of the quarterfinals, losing to Kansas State’s Jacob Pullen, who converted 13 threes. Neither Morningstar nor Pullen advanced to the semifinals.

“I am a jump-shot player, and this was more of a set-shooter’s competition,” Morningstar said. “I wish I would have done better. I had a great time, meeting a lot of people and seeing some Big 12 players like Jacob (Pullen) and LaceDarius (Dunn, Baylor). Coach (Bill) Self came out, and the whole event was a good time.”

The College of Charleston’s Andrew Goudelock held off Chris Warren of Mississippi for the title. Goudelock drilled 16 threes in the first round, 23 in the semifinals and 21 in the finals.

During the slam-dunk competition, Morningstar and Pullen assisted John Williams of UNC-Asheville with one of his slams by climbing up ladders and holding a ball while Williams snatched it from the duo and slammed it home.

Pierce’s blog

Former KU standout Paul Pierce of the Boston Celtics earlier this week wrote a blog on the NCAA Tournament for the Boston Globe.

Some excerpts:

“So who’s still standing in their NCAA pool? I was doing pretty well up until my alma mater let me down. I was crushed when the Jayhawks lost to VCU last week. Not only did it kill my bracket, but I also just couldn’t believe it. I gotta give it to the Rams though, they’ve been playing amazing ball. They’ve got heart, and coach Smart is…well…smart.

“I give KU props, though. They came a long way and outlasted a bunch of other top squads in the tournament like Louisville and Duke. Kansas is always in it and certainly had a good chance this year. I pick them every year to win it because that there’s my alma mater, and I gotta stay true to my roots. But this year they realistically had a great shot at winning it all. They’re quick and well-coached. I like the way they play. I had them up against North Carolina in my final. Gotta give some love to Roy Williams.

“So even though my bracket didn’t pan out, I’m still proud of Kansas for making it as far as they did. Coach and the guys had a great season — I know what they’re goin’ through, but you move on and put all your focus into next year. It’s tough because in tournaments like this, no matter how far you make it, only one team wins it all.”

Comments

jaybate 3 years ago

A person would be an idiot to let the lockout keep him from jumping.

Some money without an injury is better than no money with the risk of an injury.

Further, if you and a bunch of guys wait till next year to jump, then that means there is going be an oversupply of guys jumping the following year, and your chances of going high are sharply reduced.

People are making things too complicated again.

If they want you now, go now.

If they don't, don't.

Robert Robinson 3 years ago

Who has two thumbs and loves watching calipari draw the NCAA to every school he coaches? THIS GUY! (2 thumbs pointing my way) http://m.espn.go.com/ncb/story?storyId=6275663

jaybate 3 years ago

Charles Barkley to KU to be asssistant coach in charge of motivation...read it here:

www.CharlesInChargeOfTheUniverse.com

jaybate 3 years ago

Bruce Pearl to UCLA:...read it here:

www.WhatEverItTakes2GetTheBuzzBack.com

jaybate 3 years ago

Manning to MU...read it here:

www.MUWetDreams.com

jaybate 3 years ago

Self to OKC Thunder...read it here:

www.ThunderBlog.com

kusportsdotcom 3 years ago

ljw, are you kidding me?

i posted the parts of pierce's blog that didn't get included in this article, and it got deleted. what gives? (that was my first post up there that got deleted)

Sally Presson 3 years ago

Way to o ibrown3!!! Makes me sick to my stomach when you posters rag on the guys and especially Brady & Tyrell. Bleeding crimson & blue is putting it mildly, those boys love this team and being a jayhawk. they gave us 4 years, didn't cut out on us, and we knew when they got on the court they were working hard and didn't have a brain fart and say "oops, the bad brady or tryrell showed up tonight". We're going to miss them so much. As much as I hated losing that game, just mulitply it by 1,000 and that's how bad the boys and coaches feel. All the practices, games, traveling, studying on a trip, graduating!!! Come on--we can't even come close to know how bad they all feel. We've got next year to look forward to, Tyrell & Brady and Mario are finished, I just hope they know how many of us appreciate them and love them!!!

phog 3 years ago

Just wasn't their night.

CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I always thought that a coach was responsible for MENTAL prepareness, which the chokers were definetely NOT !

kennethst 3 years ago

I think it's ok to be critical of Self....to a point. But he is still a great coach and I would rather have him than anyone. As for the VCU game.....tough to blame Self when the kids just couldn't hit a FT or a FG. Just wasn't their night.

Also....I think many of us (including myself) have too high expectations. The odds of any team winning this tournement are very low.....regardless of how good the team is. I think OSU's odds were still well below 20%?? Those aren't good odds.

Realistically.....we can and should hope.....but odds are KU will not win more than one national title every 10-15 years. (maybe more like every 20 years).

kushaw 3 years ago

There has been a lot of talk lately about the NBA and how much the Lockout will affect this upcoming draft class? A lot of people think it could deter a lot of folk's from entering the draft, but I'm not thinking that will be the case. I mean, I said this yesterday, that the lockout of 1999 didn't affect any of the 8 underclassmen that were selected in the Top 10 of the 1998 draft.

With that said, this was an interesting response from John Wall talking about this very issue. It's kind of hard for a #1 pick not to think like this, but I would still like to hear what somebody with a little more experience like Paul Pierce, who went through the experience, thinks of this issue. Nonetheless, pretty interesting comments by John Wall. Here is his remarks and the link:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Different year, same decision for Wall

If the Washington Wizards’ John Wall(notes) had stayed in school this season, the threat of an NBA lockout wouldn’t have kept him from entering this summer’s draft – nor should it prevent any other top 10 prospect, the rookie said.

Wall “It’s kind of tough with the lockout, but you never know if you will have an injury [in college],” said Wall, last year’s No. 1 NBA draft pick out of Kentucky. “You can get an advance from your agent or business manager or somebody and just pay them back as you get paid. I don’t think a lockout is going to last a whole year or two years. You’re going to miss out a little bit. But the opportunity to get drafted and go high? I would take it.”

Injury concerns was a primary reason Kentucky coach John Calipari prodded Wall to leave for the pros.

“ ‘Cal’ told me, ‘If this is the best opportunity, best situation with a chance of going high, go,’ ” Wall said. “ ‘No reason to come back and jeopardize anything. What if you have a career-ending injury or your stock drops and you have to stay two or three more years?’ ”

rawkhawk 3 years ago

I love Paul Pierce. Great comments.

While I hate being in reconcile mode yet again, I think it's positive that we're seeing some "Self-reflection" after the Elite 8 loss. Wouldn't want any other coach at KU. Rock Chalk

phog 3 years ago

perhaps plaeyrs who continuously MOUTHED OFF and chest thumped about how great they are, DESERVE some comments.

jhawkrulz 3 years ago

Technically speaking the title of the article is misleading. It makes it sound like KU was knocked out by Pullen. Actually Pullen and Morningstar were knocked out in the same round and both never saw the semi-finals.

Dan Pawlowski 3 years ago

I recognize most of the negative comments on this article are from poster children with a history of disparaging comments. They are just that , poster children for all the whiny people who direct their cynicism at people who actually risk failure in life by taking a shot at accomplishing something. It's easy to criticize someone from the sidelines and its probably too hard for you to actually lay your ego on the line and risk failure. Instead you criticize those who actually have to guts to try and dare to fail. I am not sure how you are going to pump your pathetic selfs up now that college bball season is over but I am sure you will find somebody else who is actually participating in life to run down. I see that KUSports.com is running articles on KU Spring Football practice. I am pretty sure the poster children are breaking out their canned postings from last year. Writing new ones would require too much effort.

KansasComet 3 years ago

In the Big Dance, every team is going to have a bad game. The key is, can you survive the bad game and move on? We didnt and we lost. I am as upset as anyone else, but it is time for me to move on. Let's hope that this year we get our guards to be more of a threat inside and out. Looking forward to next year, but if Teahan is in the starting lineup come conference time, then we are not developing talent very well.

theend 3 years ago

Did any of you Self Zombies take down your Bill Self shrine after Sunday's pathetic loss? Maybe now you can see that he is not a great coach. He is a good coach, nothing more. He has no idea what it takes to prepare a team for the tournement. Need proof? Look at the last 8 years. I know....I know.....we won a title. Whoopee. We should have won 4 or 5 with the teams we had.

Self thinks the way to prepare for the tournement is the same way you prepare for Nebraska.....or.....if it's going to be a really tough game.....you prepare like you would for Iowa State!!!

How has that worked out for Self the last 8 years?

theend 3 years ago

Beware all who enter this board.....If you say anything remotely critical of Bill Self......you will immediately be attacked and villified. Most Self zombies on here slobber and blush with the mere mention of his name.

Never mind that he can't consistently prepare his teams for the tournement......that doesn't matter. But hey!!! He can beat Iowa State!!!!! Isn't that awesome???

SaulGood 3 years ago

Brady - glad you had some fun - you deserved it! Paul Pierce has clearly not forgotten his roots, and always happy to see he's done so well.

Jason Montgomery 3 years ago

It was nice to see Brady carry over his hot shooting from Sunday, he hit the rim on most of his shots.

kushaw 3 years ago

Happy April Fool's everybody! Somebody did that on theshiver and I thought it was funny. Scroll Above! You never know, but it may be true.

bradynsdad 3 years ago

After watching Brady in the contest it occurred to me how much he will probably miss that uniform. He was smiling and having fun with the other guys probably showing them with his shooting exactly how we lost to VCU. It also occurred to me how much he and tryrell loved being jayhawks. I know little is a senior too but brady and tryrell have spent their whole lives waiting to put on that uniform. Watching Brady last night reminded me again that he and tyrell are just kids, granted Brady being twenty five not so much but still young. I really feel for them never getting to play again. They will never come out of that tunnel again to sixteen thousand screaming fans in the house where basketball legends were born and bred. We got mad at them for losing and never think about how honestly harder for them than it is for us as fans. Those seniors I guarantee love putting on that uniform and playing for the Kansas jayhawks far more than we love being fans. Then one day it ends as quickly as it started. Imagine one day someone tells you that you are not allowed to watch ku play basketball ever again. I will miss Brady and tyrell they may not be first round draft picks but they put in the time and dedication to play to the best of their abilities for ku fans. If you have kids like I do then I couldn't think of a better role model than someone like tyrell reed. Thank you seniors and good luck in your futures.

Ron Franklin 3 years ago

Dear LJW,

How about a story on WSU?

You do a good job of covering other sports not related to KU, so I figure this would fit right in.

Love,

BlownJiggity

phog 3 years ago

“I give KU props, though. They came a long way and outlasted a bunch of other top squads in the tournament like Louisville and Duke"

WOW what B.S. the Heavy favorite gets whalloped by the biggest under-dog, and this moron is giving props.

Only in kansas.

Martin Rosenblum 3 years ago

"... because that there’s my alma mater,"

-Paul Pierce

Paul may not have been a candidate for any of those academic awards, but he will always be our highest profile former Jayhawk player. Just wish he would come around the program some from time to time

Jerry Rockhold 3 years ago

And to be more accurate in the 3 pt.contest, the last ball in each rack was the "money" ball which was worth 2 pts. while all others were worth 1 pt.each. So when you say each player hit so many shots, in reality, they made fewer than you stated in the article if they made any money balls. It was total pts. they accumulated, not necessarily how many shots they actually made.

k10phog 3 years ago

Brady did not lose to Pullen. They both were eliminated in the 1st round. They shot at the same time, but it was not a head to head match as the top 4 performers out of 8 advanced to the next round. Neither Brady or Pullen made enough to advance.

kusportsdotcom 3 years ago