Monday, September 27, 2010

Beshears’ day not unexpected

Kansas University kick returner D.J. Beshears (20) is cheered on by the student section as he breaks free for a 96-yard touchdown return in this 2010 file photo. Beshears is listed as a preseason third-team All-Big 12 selection by analyst Phil Steele.

Three touchdowns, nearly 200 total yards and big-time production as a runner, receiver and special-teams return man.

Jayhawks roll over non-conference foe

The Jayhawks' football team got back on track Saturday against New Mexico State University. The offense was clicking as KU posted 42 points.

Surely the performance turned in by Kansas University sophomore D.J. Beshears during the Jayhawks’ 42-16 victory against New Mexico State on Saturday night was the best game of his life, right?

“In college, yes,” Beshears said.

So, wait. You’re saying there was a game in high school that trumped this one?

“Yeah,” he said. “I know I had like four touchdowns and almost 200 yards receiving. I can’t recall the exact stats. (But this one’s) right (up) there.”

According to many of his teammates, it was long overdue.

“I really think everybody was expecting it out of him,” quarterback Jordan Webb said. “It came later than I expected, actually. We’ve been working him in, running more plays for him, and he really showed tonight that he deserves it.”

He also showed that, given that chance, he can be a real weapon for the KU offense.

Of Beshears’ future role, whether it will come as a runner or a receiver, KU coach Turner Gill said: “We’ll line him up all over the place.”

Beshears’ breakout performance came on eight carries from the backfield, two catches from his wide receiver spot and two lengthy kickoff returns, one of which went the distance, a 96-yard TD that broke the game open.

Beshears’ multi-dimensional skill-set has led many to compare him to some of the most dynamic triple-threat players in the game.

“He’s kind of like a Reggie Bush-type of guy,” senior receiver Johnathan Wilson said. “He can catch the ball out of the backfield and as a receiver, and he’s a return guy on special teams. He has real tenacity. He’s mean. He might be little, but he’s out there trying to hit people and knock people down. He’s crazy.”

Of the comparison, Beshears said: “I definitely looked up to Reggie Bush when I was younger, but I really can’t model myself after anybody right now. I’m just me.”

Right now, whether that means he rocks as a running back, flies as a receiver or races up the field as a return man, the Jayhawks continually are searching for new ways to get the ball to Beshears.

“We’ve wanted to all along,” Webb said. “He’s electric with the ball in his hands. He’s a physical guy, and he’s fast. He wants to get into the end zone every time he touches it. I don’t think he has a weakness as far as anywhere we can’t get him the ball.”

Added Beshears: “I’m a receiver, but I’ll do whatever it takes to win. Whatever position coach (Gill) wants me to play, that’s what I’ll play.”

Comments

Ben Kane 4 years, 2 months ago

off topic: good to see Talib pulling in the INT yesterday, even if it was against my beloved steelers.

KU_FanSince75 4 years, 2 months ago

Chuck--- on topic ----- Love to see your beloved Steelers play my beloved Chiefs (not Chefs anymore) for the AFC Championship!

Tony Bandle 4 years, 2 months ago

KU-FanSince75

My beloved Rams are going to give your beloved Chiefs an early Christmas present on Dec. 19th in the Dome.........we're going to fill your stockings with A$$kickin'. :}

Ben Kane 4 years, 2 months ago

if it happens, I'll be there. I wish the chiefs nothing but the best. been a long time for their fans.

murph 4 years, 2 months ago

Could we please get back to talking about this talented young player on our team? It's a treat to hear good things about the football team instead of all the negativity from earlier this year.

KU_FanSince75 4 years, 2 months ago

Sorry--had to say something about the Chiefs!

Beshears is awesome! He is definitely a playmaker. Hope he has an impact down in Waco---Rock Chalk!

khummel60 4 years, 2 months ago

What makes Beshears so unique, I think, is that he is dynamite in the open field AND he likes to hit people. You rarely see that combination. Between Beshears, Patterson, Sims, and Wilson, I think we have some defensive coordinators a little worried. The question is, can our O-Line give Webb enough time to get them the ball. Saturdays game with Baylor may tell us.

jhawk613 4 years, 2 months ago

From my perspective it is two things.

First the O-Line does need to give Webb a little more time.

Secondly, Webb needs to learn to have a mental clock running and get rid of the ball much sooner. He holds on to the ball way too long sometimes.

khummel60 4 years, 2 months ago

Totally agree! They say good QB's have eyes on the back of their head. Web doesn't have them yet.

Jonathan Allison 4 years, 2 months ago

preseason is over. Now the games really count.

khummel60 4 years, 2 months ago

Pleeeease! I'm begging everyone - ignore the talking orca.

Jonathan Briles 4 years, 2 months ago

Now I love Beshears and think he did a fantastic job, but I don't really like the Reggie Bush comparison. They do some of the same things but really are not the same type of player. Someone he does remind me of when he was in college is Percy Harvin. He was a little guy (not as little as Beshears though) with Blazing speed and they got him the ball in all kinds of creative ways and he produced, which is what DJ did this past saturday. The thing that is really awesome is that we have two of those types with DJ and Patterson. Whenever either of those two gets the ball you are about to see something electric.

Annette Lee 4 years, 2 months ago

The staff is running him like Dexter McCluster, well maybe not in the wild Hawk, but you know he's every where..

bigtex 4 years, 2 months ago

I love the way this kid plays, not only a good athlete but a real football player. We need more football players on the field like this guy (tough and physical).

sammyr2 4 years, 2 months ago

Homers? What do you expect, this is the comments section on KUsports.com. If you want to read some negative press about KU, please head over to the MU message board, MUlaza. No one here will miss your tired shtick.

mtdewjunkie 4 years, 2 months ago

you do the same thing champ...except all backwards. eariler this year, you chose to rant about how dumb it was to move opurum to lb because he was the best back we have, yada, yada..here is a link for you: http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/toben-opurum-1/gamelog/2009/ looks like he got his #'s against weak teams too. i welcome you here...happy to see all this passion about ku.

Jeff Hargate 4 years, 2 months ago

mulaza...we lost to NDSU...are they really that inferior? Remember when Chase Daniel picked his nose and ate it?? I remember MU fans thinking he could have done better, but in reality it was a good pick against an interior opponent.

khummel60 4 years, 2 months ago

Oh no.... you took the bait! PLEASE DON'T FEED THE ORCA!

Tony Bandle 4 years, 2 months ago

M-U-L-A-Z-A spelt backwards is AZ ALUM.

Oh ma God!!! This is Lute Olsen trolling in Jayhawk waters!!

Ban him, LJW, ban him!!!!!!!!!

A win is a win...look at Misery. Ranked in the Top 25 after beating The Little Sisters of the Poor, The Little Sisters of the Poor State, Northern Little Sisters of the Poor and Little Sisters of the Poor Tech!!

KU_FanSince75 4 years, 2 months ago

Oakville---Pretty funny about your Rams---LOL. I guess someone has to root for them. The Chiefs fans, as Chuckberry hinted to, have been through some lean years.

Why is Mizzou ranked? They almost lost to San Diego State in Columbia---OMG! Oklahoma State is ranked in the Coaches Poll now, too.

When the Big 12 schedule begins in earnest, this will all shake out, that's for sure!

tis4tim 4 years, 2 months ago

Reggie Bush was more of a quadruple threat. He was threat out of the backfield, as a receiver, as a punt/kick returner and he was a threat to your athletic department.

Let's hope Beshears remains only a triple threat.

JBurtin 4 years, 2 months ago

Terrible joke...makes me feel bad that it made me LOL.

Kit Duncan 4 years, 2 months ago

LJW Staff. A suggestion here. Some forums allow people to put a filter on a poster they wish to ignore. Would it be possible to add that option beside the "suggest removal" link?

That way folks who so choose, may avoid the temptation to engage 'trolls' in foolish and waste-of-time banter. It leaves the choice to each individual whom they choose to censor and whom they choose to engage in meaningless diatribes.

Thanks

100 4 years, 2 months ago

Best thing about Gill so far:

Most teams get excited for one day (Saturday).

We as fans, thanks to Gill being psyched about having transparency, excitement & enthusiasm, now have two "TV" days to look forward to.

One on Saturday.

The second one?

The weekly Gridiron film (and I mean film, this is high quality stuff) is released, usually late mid-week.

Gill is laying a five star foundation right on top of John Wooden Memorial Stadium's concrete!!!!

KU_FanSince75 4 years, 2 months ago

NavyHawk---Can I have first dibs on "mulaza? Please!!!!!!!!

mtdewjunkie 4 years, 2 months ago

ku is getting some love on espn.com... there is a game called "college town" on the college football home page... a jayhawk is probably the most prominent logo on the graphic. (i cant play the game, as it requires a facebook account and i refuse to start one.)