Kansas defeats New Mexico State, 42-16

• 6 p.m., Sept. 25, 2010
  • David Booth Kansas Memorial Stadium, Lawrence, KS

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Rock ’em, sock ’em: Ags KO’d by KU’s 1-2 punch

Kansas receiver D.J. Beshears breaks into the endzone for his third touchdown of the game against New Mexico State during the second quarter Saturday, Sept. 25, 2010 at Kivisto Field.

KU football highlights: NMSU

Highlights from the Jayhawks' game against New Mexico State University on September 25, 2010.

Turner Gill postgame: NMSU

Turner Gill addresses the media after the Jayhawks' game against New Mexico State University on September 25, 2010.

The dash came early, the smash came late, and Kansas University’s football team finally came away with a result that was expected.

Behind three first-half touchdowns from D.J. Beshears and another 100-yard rushing night from the ever-impressing freshman tailback, James Sims, the Jayhawks pounded New Mexico State, 42-16, Saturday night at Memorial Stadium.

Credit the Tazmanian Devil for kick-starting the rout.

Beshears, a sophomore wide receiver from Denton, Texas, scored on a 10-yard run late in the first quarter, a 96-yard kickoff return early in the second and added a seven-yard TD scamper with 9:29 remaining in the first half.

On each, he displayed a mixture of killer quickness and bullish physicality that makes him as unusual an offensive weapon as there is in the country.

“All the guys joke around and call me Tazmanian Devil,” Beshears said. “They say I just want to go out there and just bang heads.”

As for the coaches, might they be a little leery of the 5-foot-8, 174-pound slot receiver taking such a pounding play after play?

“No, they love it,” Beshears said. “They love my tenacity, so I guess I’m just gonna keep doing it.”

Good idea.

For the game, Beshears finished with 161 total yards, 38 of which came off of eight carries. The Kansas offense, which entered the game averaging just under 300 yards of total offense per game, exploded for 501 yards, including 237 yards rushing.

Was it the KU offense’s most complete performance of the season?

“Overall, I’d say (it was),” quarterback Jordan Webb said. “I thought the O-line played really well, Sims ran hard, the receivers made plays for me, and then D.J. Beshears had a big game, as well.”

Webb’s performance wasn’t too shabby. He finished 17-of-27 for 249 yards and a touchdown. He also gained 33 yards on the ground. Most importantly, however, the red-shirt freshman quarterback made few mistakes and was not sacked.

“I like the way he went about his business,” KU coach Turner Gill said. “He played with passion, he played with excitement, he played with self-control and poise, and then he executed. That’s the bottom line.”

Somewhat lost in the shuffle of Saturday’s offensive explosion was the play of the Kansas defense. The Jayhawks held NMSU to just 275 yards of total offense, including 147 yards through air.

“When the offense is rolling and scoring points at our place, that always feels good,” defensive tackle Patrick Dorsey said. “That takes pressure off the defense, and we’ll take it.”

Beshears’ devilish first half sent KU into the locker room with a 21-7 lead at halftime. A big third quarter that featured one of two second-half touchdowns from Sims and a TD pass from Webb to tight end Tim Biere put the game away.

Biere’s TD grab — the second of the season for the junior from Omaha — capped a 17-play, 99-yard drive that spanned 6:09 and gave the KU offense a huge dose of confidence.

“I think that just shows execution,” Gill said. “They made plays when they had to.”

No one more so than Beshears and Sims. While the Tazmanian Devil dominated the first half — his first TD made him the seventh Jayhawk to score a touchdown this season — Sims, the freshman running back from Irving, Texas, turned in the second 100-yard game of his career (115 yards on 16 carries), making him the first KU freshman since Clark Green in 2002 to record multiple 100-yard games in a season.

Sims’ touchdowns came from one and seven yards out, and he had two others called back.

Despite the close touchdown tally between KU’s newest up-and-coming offensive weapons, Beshears insisted the two native Texans did not wage their own battle-within-the-battle.

“It wasn’t really a competition,” Beshears said. “We just really wanted to win the game. As far as (me and Sims) competing for touchdowns, it wasn’t nothing like that. We really wanted Sands to get in the end zone tonight, though.”

For Gill, the bottom line was more important than any of the individual statistics.

“I liked the way we were balanced, getting 200-plus yards in passing the ball and also rushing the ball,” he said. “We want to have that balance, and I think we are headed in the right direction.”

Kansas (2-2) will head into Big 12 Conference play and will take on Baylor on Saturday in Waco, Texas.

Comments

Scott Lippoldt 10 years ago

Does anyone know where the synopsis and comments immediately following the game went? I enjoy reading those comments--it's fun to read the gloom-and-doom fans' reactions as well as the upbeat fans. Thanks!

JJHAWK 10 years ago

Doom & Gloom . . . Jayhawk Football? Please don't tell me those two go together!

Funhawk 10 years ago

LOL. The whiners are taking the day off.

hailtoku 10 years ago

Really? It was New Mexico State. We were favored by 21 points. If you're tickled by that win and think it proved anything than I'm afraid our program has officially hit rock bottom.

Good God man raise the bar a little bit.

LAJayhawk 10 years ago

Actually, we were favored by 23...

Dan Harris 10 years ago

Really? should we be pissed off by that win debbie downer!

hailtoku 10 years ago

No, I'm relieved after this win. But I'm not going to sit there and say, "See! Gill's a great coach".

Michael Bratisax 10 years ago

Yeah..we handily won a game that we should have and being happy is misplaced??

Dan Pawlowski 10 years ago

Negative Waves. Well there are always those around. I like to call them Eore's.

Dan Harris 10 years ago

They will be back with the next loss!

hawk316 10 years ago

FYI, for those who missed the game, you can still catch the TV rebroadcast today. According to my schedule, the game should be on at 5:00 PM on Sunflower cable, channel 6.

But don't take my word for it. Double check to make sure. I don't want anyone to miss it because I provided incorrect information.

Way to go, Hawks! Great win!

LAJayhawk 10 years ago

Boise State is ranked third in both polls with a number 1 vote in the AP...

LAJayhawk 10 years ago

I'm guessing ALL OF THE DIVISION 1 football coaches who voted them that way have some knowledge of NCAA football. Call me crazy....

But again, your statement was "BSU will never be taken seriously..." Now you're arguing that they don't deserve to be... make up your mind.

mtdewjunkie 10 years ago

almost getting beat is not getting beat. they beat va tech. ask oregon how last years game with bsu went...usc? really? oklahoma..well they "almost" lost to utah st (who got some love on your espn bottom 10 this week) and air force. anyway...for right now (first 4 games) boise has played a better schedule than most or all of those teams...you dont get points for games you havent played yet.

hailtoku 10 years ago

I will say that Boise has always stepped up in their "big" games. However, those big games are always AT Boise during the beginning of the season.

I think the argument against Boise is that after a win during the first week they are almost guaranteed to go undefeated.

Look at Bama this month, AT #10, home against #9 and AT #12 in consecutive weeks.

That's why I don't think they deserve to be anywhere near a top 5 ranking. They don't go through a gauntlet like the rest of the top 10 does. They cruise through their schedule while everyone else is playing big games.

Dan Pawlowski 10 years ago

You are resting your argument on flawed logic.

Dan Pawlowski 9 years, 12 months ago

I was remarking on mulaza's attempt to apply the transitive property to college football.

ZDKC 10 years ago

I think you guys are debating apples and oranges.

Boise State can hang with any program in the nation -- we've seen that. Them deserving to play for a national championship is a whole different argument.

We all know SEC and Big 12 conference play is BRUTAL. (Like someone previously said, these conferences are like running the Gauntlet.) In the WAC, you can get away with a lot if you're a top ranked team and still win. In most BSC conferences, slip up a little, and you will get punished kissing your national championship hopes goodbye.

waywardJay 10 years ago

most assuredly they deserve that ranking by going 4-0 against teams that will dare schedule them..... they can't help their COnference....

rockemchalkemrobots 10 years ago

They can and did. They are moving to the MWC next year.

hailtoku 10 years ago

That's the nature of the beast though.

You can't help who you play, but tell that to the BCS.

hailtoku 10 years ago

I agree.

Our schedule may be grouped with some of the easiest in the nation. This year especially needs to be one where we capitalize on that (circa 2007). At least pick up wins against Baylor, Colorado and Iowa State in order to put us in a position to win the North with KSU being in Lawrence and Mizzou proving to be very beatable.

This season has so much potential and is set up for us to succeed. The fact is we should be 4-0 right now. Instead, we are 2-2 and have yet to face the difficult part of our season. I didn't think that just after 4 games we would be hoping for a .500 season.

Brandon Meek 10 years ago

Did you not watch any games last year or at least read a synopsis of it? What made you think we were going to have a stellar year after the way it ended plus losing the four best players from that team and getting new coaches and a new system. I am not saying that I am happy with the results thus far, inconsistent has been the key word to describe our season thus far, but let's be realistic.

hailtoku 10 years ago

You're right. Let's lower our expectations. Why should we believe we can win games against power houses such as North Dakota State, Southern Mississippi, New Mexico State, Baylor, Iowa State, Colorado, Kansas State and Missouri.

Clearly those are not winnable games.

Andy Tweedy 10 years ago

Man, I live in Omaha and watched that Nebraska game. They sure did show nothing. In fact, SDSU got robbed of an early touchdown by the refs, or it would have been even less impressive!

Michael Bratisax 10 years ago

At least as strong as last years team : )

kualuminohio 10 years ago

Time to Rock and Roll, Our Season really begins this saturday with the start of Big 12 play. All the Na sayers can stick it where the sun dont shine, we are bowl bound hooohra...

James Hubin 10 years ago

Poor mulaza needs a life. I know mizzery sucks but there has to be something more productive you can do with your time there. Some people get a girlfriend, maybe if you spend less time bashing the hawks and more time dating, you could eventually find a nice barefoot, toothless girl to settle down with in mizzery in order to help fill your wasted time.

waywardJay 10 years ago

YOur back with a force, last night you were ALMOST giving GIll Kudos, and will be willing to give him kudos if he wins the next two.... which apparently was muzzlespeak for No way he's going to do it.....

steamboat 10 years ago

sava12 10 years ago

I wonder what exactly it is you want? These kids are making some progress under a first year head coach. You said once you used to coach - did you always look for the negative?

KURiggins 10 years ago

NMSU may stink but you still have to excute. Otherwise, there would never be upsets in college football. Just ask Texas. Our team is improving, and Turner Gill is NOTHING like Terry Allen. That is a stupid analogy. Terry Allen is the same coach who had Kurt Warner at NIU and failed to play him. Turner Gill realized after just one week that Webb was the better QB and that he had a special player in Sims, and got them right onto the field. They keep improving every week. Coaches like Allen and even Mangino stuck with the same player even if production was not there. ..by the way. You think Turner GIll stinks, most coaches have it rough their first year. To use an NFL analogy. Remember a coach named Jimmy Johnson of the Dallas Cowboys. Only won two games his first year, traded Herschel Walker etc...three rings later guess who had the last laugh. Turner Gill won in college as a QB. He was an assistant under Tom Osborne for years(and we know what he did, especially to KU) and improved Buffalo..the best college you never heard of. The best kept secret in College Football. He is not Terry Allen. Its a dumb analogy. Gill has always been a winner, he will win here too. Maybe not his first year..but neither did Jimmy Johnson

hailtoku 10 years ago

NIU is Northern Illinois... you would think you would know who UNI is.

Also, Mangino "stuck with the same player even if production was not there". I think I recall a QB controversy in 2007 when home town hero Kerry Meier's position was in jeopardy to a 5'9 guy from Texas. Now Kerry Meier is in the NFL at a position Mangino placed him.

Gill has always been a winner? Right now I'm seeing a 20-30 MAC coach trying to compete in the Big 12 with a 2-2 record that included losses to Southern Mississippi and South Dakota State. Can you at least see the skepticism?

LAJayhawk 10 years ago

As much as I like Jackrabbit football, we did not play South Dakota State.... you would think you would know who NDSU is.

hailtoku 10 years ago

A week 1 non conference game versus a school that embarrassed us nationally after beating a team slatted to walk to a national championship with a year long #1 ranking.

Which mistake seems more understandable to you.

LAJayhawk 10 years ago

Neither. So quite being a D-bag.

hailtoku 10 years ago

Says the guy who just used the phrase "D-bag".

LAJayhawk 9 years, 12 months ago

Yes, and when water falls from the sky I also say it is raining.

KURiggins 10 years ago

UNI, NIU..tell how much I care.. Do not care. I see a person who must have loved Mangino. And how long did it take Mangino to figure out Reesing should be the QB and not Meier or anyone else? Also Mangino got mad at Patterson so he switched him to defense. Good move. You can tell by the first few games, he is a beast of a WR. Gill is our coach...you can argue day and night about 20-30 at a MAC school. I will ask you the same question. What was Buffalo' record before he got there? Buffalo was much better off with him as coach. Cheer for who you want. UNI, Missouri ..K-State. Every Saturday I will be supporting Turner Gill and what he is doing and going to do for KU football. Rock Chalk..go Gill..go Jayhawks

KURiggins 10 years ago

Also . ....as I recall Mangino had a lot of weapons last year..that Gill does not have this year. Incuding two of the best WR's KU has ever had. One of the best QB's KU has ever had. All this hailtoku..and how did Mangino do? Dropped seven in a row! Seven in a row! Give Gill a chance. We shall compare records in a few years. Given what he did at little Buffalo. What will happen when he can tell HS players a school name they recognize? A conference name they recognize? James Sims happens. Brandon Bourbon happens. And that was with limited time to recruit and a coach fired under bad circumstances to say the least. I for one cannot wait to see the talent we will get at KU before long. He is trying to build a dynasty.

hailtoku 10 years ago

I scream my lungs out at memorial for KU every weekend.

I was never a fan of Mangino's play calling. But the guy brought an Orange Bowl trophy to KANSAS. Two years later, fired.

I'm against Gill because we hired an unproven coach. Win 8 games this year and he'll have my support as the right guy for the job. Until then, I'll always wonder what could have been.

KURiggins 10 years ago

What could have been was 7losses in a row. Who cares if you take us to the Orange Bowl if you drop seven in a row next year with good players. Support KU or support Mangino..make up your mind. If you like Mangino..Minnesota is your team

KURiggins 10 years ago

Orange Bowl. Insight.com Bowl..then seven losses in a row. With great players. With Reesing and Meier. That is inconsistent. I want a coach who wants to build a dynasty. Not two good years(which were the creation of your QB and WR's not the coach). Then nothing. Two good years ..then an embarrasing one. Thank you ..but no Thank you. Go Coach Gill. Go Jayhawks.

hailtoku 10 years ago

Excuse me?

Before Mangino, no one went to the games. During the Mangino reign, attendance was at an ALL TIME high. He brought one of the worst programs in the nation to the national spot light.

Anytime a KU fan is disappointed with a coach who won an "Orange Bowl, Isight.com Bowl then went 5-7" it means the coach has done his job. Think about it, he INVENTED expectations at this university. 5-7 used to be considered a successful season at KU.

I think some fans forget that.

For coach Gill to get my support and belief... he has to win at least 4 more games this season. What's wrong with that???? Why are people so opposed to those who expect more from our football program?

KURiggins 10 years ago

Fair enough. In my opinion you should support the Jayhawks no matter who is coach. I guess I am of the belief that the man deserves at least two years. If at that point we appear to not be moving foward you have a point..but you should give him a chance or else pick a different team. I love the Jayhawks no matter what. Do I get dissapointed ..of course. But we are 2 and 2 and appear...appear to be improving. All I was saying is Mangino had good players last year and dropped seven. If you want to hang stuff on Gill for not "proving" himself yet..I am not sure how he can in just four games..then why can I not hang junk on Mangino for dropping seven in a row with great and proven players, not a Fr QB and Fr. RB and embarrasing us with his horrible playcalling.

hailtoku 9 years, 12 months ago

How can he prove himself in 4 games? Well, for starters, he can beat Division 1-AA schools and Southern Miss (another non-BCS school).

I'm sorry but when you lose to NDSU it has everything to do with coaching. You can't sit there and tell me a team that wen 3-8 in a lower division had better athletes than the University of Kansas.

He can proves himself in 4 games... if we were 4-0 right now, which we were very capable of doing, you wouldn't see anyone questioning Gill.

The fact is, there were naysayers before the season... add two early losses to lesser opponents and the naysayers will only increase in number.

KURiggins 10 years ago

Oh ..and one more correction. I went to the games. I have been a KU season ticket holder for 30 years. I like some others remember the days when KU won just one game a year..usually against K-State

hailtoku 9 years, 12 months ago

.........then along came a man named Mangino...

mtdewjunkie 10 years ago

im opposed to those who wish to see people fired before they have a chance to do their job. not trying to upset you, ( i know you are fond of mangino) but this is a rebuilding project. not enough high level talent...some good players but nobody who is a star (yet.) find me in two years...if its a disaster, ill donate to the buyout fund.

hailtoku 9 years, 12 months ago

Do we have time for this two year build? Will the Big 12 exist then? Where will KU be? Money and wins have to come this Saturday and the next and so on...

Not in two years. I'm done saying "let's give this coach 2 years to build". Honestly, isn't anyone else?

ZDKC 10 years ago

KURiggins: I'm not really sure why you mentioned Gill's success as a QB. I hope you realize that how one plays during their college football days has little correlation to their success as a coach.

KURiggins 10 years ago

Simply meant winning builds confidence. By winning as a QB in college he built/got some swagger. Did not mean to confuse the issue.

KURiggins 10 years ago

The NFL analogy still works whether you like it or not. And I believe that Gill increased Buffalo's winning percentage by about 400%. And do you honestly want to argue the recruiting advantages one has ..say Miami(the U) v.s. say KU...and perhaps Oklahoma State vs. Buffalo..since those are the schools you mention. Gill was at a tiny school...nobody had really heard of.

KURiggins 10 years ago

And how many had Buffalo won before he got there? Even against those tiny schools. Care to look that up? No, I am sure you don't want to. Still improved them MU. Still have to excute. Ask Texas. Texas could not even beat UCLA last night..at home. Plus, I noticed you conviently overlooked the recruiting argument. Mr. Sims is a Gill guy and he is already flashing of stardom

Michael Bratisax 10 years ago

OUR??? Everyone clearly sees that mulaza is really m-a z-u-l-a. Why the pretense?

TwistedFish31 10 years ago

Quit saying "our" team loser. You are not fooling any one on this board mu fan...

smartjayhawk 10 years ago

Sims is doing well.

I wonder when Bourbon will get a chance? Is he injured?

sava12 10 years ago

Hard to say. It seems to work with Sims running the ball. Maybe Bourbon hasn't shown some progress in practice. It's nice to have depth.

Andy Tweedy 10 years ago

NMSU really does SUCK, but so did NDSU. This time, we did what was expected and what we should have done. So for the haters, the team has improved. Next week is a HUGE game because it is one of our few road games I consider winnable.

smartjayhawk 10 years ago

Depth is nice. I just hope our other 4 star (Bourbon) is healthy. He has not touched the ball this year during a game. .

duanep5ku 10 years ago

I Guess our favorite troll,mulaza is still on here pretending to actually know something about what he spews out on the Kansas site. mulaza you promise the Kansas fans that you would be here until TG gets fired,well I guess you are going to be here for awhile or until you decide to get a real life. A ? to lazy MU, can you really judge a player or coach worth in one year,bozo because if you do you would know that you would be discrediting a lot of great people that turned out to be both great players and or coaches in time in their chosen fields. Mu, my point is simple you have to give a person the chance to succeed in life before they can. A first year coach only needs to find a few good players from this years team and make them better and teach them. I mean come on lazy MU how can you judge the man before he even brings in one recruiting class of his own. So to all the negative people on here give the team a break for now and hope for the best. Turner Gill needs at-least a year or two at Kansas before we can judge the mans worth as a coach, So lazy MU sit back and see what happens before you judge.

PS, To all the long term Kansas fans on here, I still remember the days when Kansas could not win one game in a season.

smartjayhawk 10 years ago

Go away, mulaza.

I still am trying to figure out what the status is on Bourbon. Are we even going to need him? Is he hurt? I simply do not understand how you have one 4 star getting 15 to 20 carries per game and the other has never taken a hand off. What gives?

We are fortunate to have Sims, don't get me wrong. It simply seems that Bourbon could fit in somewhere for a couple of plays a game.

We may need him when Big 12 play starts. Defenses are going to get a little more stubborn.

KURiggins 10 years ago

Hey Mulaza(I mean MU)...I find it very telling that you always overlook the part of a discussion that does not fit into your argument. You still have not addressed recruiting advantages. You admit Buffalo was a crap program before he got there, but shift the subject to ..."ok, if buffalo was such a sorry program and gill such a great coach, why was buffalo the only gig he could land? crap, even nmsu passed him by for a job" ..so the statement you want to stick by is no good coaches are ever passed over for a job before they land other gigs? Really? ...Really? I would say that is the life of a football coach..waiting for your break. And many a school has overlooked a coach and later regretted it. Happens in every sport. If you knew sports..you would know this. I cannot help that NMSU passed him up. You just made my argument..looks like they should have hired him. Really? ..Look... on this blog we use "big people" words..and difficult football terms. By the way, "execution"..looked pretty good last night. Good one..got me there. Too bad we won.

mtdewjunkie 10 years ago

quit using the bottom 10 on espn.com to support your arguments...its not the 10 worst teams in college football...it is more humor than anything.

duanep5ku 9 years, 12 months ago

mulaza = ignorant MU troll who needs a life of his or her own but Kansas fans what can you expect from a MU person. I mean come on loser are you really that starved for attention, it must be a personal mommy issue thing but do not worry Lazy MU you can get help if your having mommy issues,seek help.

KURiggins 10 years ago

I agree smartjayhawk would be interesting and helpful to know if Bourbon will contribute later. If he is hurt or if we are just redshirting him.

Randy Bombardier 10 years ago

Great win. It is about execution. I think we saw that in the first game. This would be a good time to go back and scout yourself for tendencies and weaknesses over 4 games and work on them. I would be looking first for that one recurring miscue.

smartjayhawk 10 years ago

Never thought about the redshirt scenario. That makes the most sense to me right now considering that Bourbon has 0 touches.

Kit Duncan 10 years ago

I believe Coach Gill has said he would use Bourbon only if necessary, leading one to assume he is planning to redshirt him if possible. With Sims, Quigley and Sands (Sims, mostly) providing over 100 yds rushing per game, Bourbon right now is not needed. A serious injury to Sims and loss of one of the others for a game or two would likely see Brandon getting his first carry in a KU uniform.

KURiggins 10 years ago

What? ..Still ducking key issues..here is an obvious sign you are losing an argument..you switch sports Tiger..again..stick to golf

KURiggins 10 years ago

You are a fool..not arguing with you there

duanep5ku 9 years, 12 months ago

I agree with you ralster Lazy MU seeks attention,so it's time to ignore the idiot and hope he-she gets some help with his-she attention seeking disorder

Andrew Moore 10 years ago

I think mulaza is just AZ Alum backwards. If I remember correctly, he's a KU grad who grew up in AZ and Kansas, went to KU, and moved back to AZ.

The dry and sustained heat and general lack of water has made him a very uncomfortable and angry person.

KURiggins 10 years ago

Good try MU. He still beat NMSU did he not? Looks like your argument about how they passed on him still does not work. He beat em. However, yet again..you passed on a big point since it makes you look foolish. Woulda shoulda coulda. Still have not brought up Buffalo's record before he got there. He may have struggled against some of those schools but they were and are more established programs than Buffalo. And he made Buffalo a lot better. But since you refuse to talk about Buffalo's record before he got there .... there you go again, ducking some key points. And he is 2-2 at KU. Not sure what kind of math they do at Mizzou but that is an even record so far, not a losing one. Speaking of Mizzou why don't you blog on their site. You could illustrate your points with those colorful pictures you like and write your blogs in crayon.

KURiggins 10 years ago

By the way MU..it is interesting how you bring up three plays. Those are your powerful examples of how overrated Gill is? Consider him stung. Ouch.. Three plays. Then you use that universal..but we stunk more, I just cannot tell you how or where..but I am sure it happened. So yeah...and stuff. ..stick to golf Tiger

smartjayhawk 10 years ago

Thank you, KURiggins and NavyHawk, for your insight. What both of you said makes sense. I guess I am just anxious to see Bourbon play.

KURiggins 10 years ago

Me too smartjayhawk. He seems like a real steal for us

steamboat 10 years ago

Hey all you true KU fans, maybe if we just ignore mulaza he might be smart enough to stay off this site therefore keeping his comments to himself and possibly crawling back underneath that huge cowpie he came from.

rcjh22 9 years, 12 months ago

Don't let them get you down mulaza. I like you ;)

KU_FanSince75 10 years ago

This is for ralster-------

1) Ignor mulaza no matter what.

2) KU keeps winning= mulaza will go away.

3) Mizzou loses= mulaza will go away.

4) KU beats Mizzou in Arrowhead= I have a ton of crap to unload on mulaza!

5) If all else fails, go back to #1.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk forever!

khummel60 9 years, 12 months ago

Please - everyone do yourselves (and the rest of us) a favor and stop getting lured into these inane arguments with mulaza. It really is pointless. Gills record at Buffalo is pointless now. Comparisons to the Terry Allen era - pointless. Insinuations about KU based on who beat whom - pointless. Remarks about the uniforms - REALLY pointless. How about we just let mulaza insert his pointless incendiary remarks, ignore him, and let the season speak for itself.

Frankly, anyone who thinks Saturdays' smack-down of New Mexico State is a sign of eminent Jayhawk dominance is kidding themselves. But what it does mean, I think, is they got the job done, and won the way they were supposed to win against an inferior opponent. There are still plenty of areas that need fixing on this team, but I see improvement every week, and I believe Gill and staff are going to get the job done. We are NOT, repeat NOT going to win the Big-12 North this year, but I think we can surprise some folks. I'm afraid we are going to be over-matched in the trenches against Big-12 competition, but that doesn't mean we can't compete. We have some amazing play-makers that can bust the game open on any play. Mulaza can call me a Homer if he wants (I'm certain he will), but I'm gonna be on the edge of my seat every week supporting this team, because I believe we are witnessing the beginning of something we've not seen before - perennial football success at Kansas. If I'm wrong, well, at least I did my part to support them.

And I'll say this for mulaza, he was logged in to KUSports during Saturday's game, monitoring things like the rest of us, and behaved himself (until after the game). I think that's a sign he's not a complete troll - a demented contrarian perhaps - but at some level I think he actually cares about KU. Just don't sucked into an argument with him.

Jared Grillot 9 years, 12 months ago

Let's be honest - someone or another will be calling for Gill's head on a pike until he comes up with at least a winning season, maybe until he gets a bowl game. Case in point, the number of honest, loyal, Jayhawk loving KU alumni who wanted to run Bill Self out on a rail after his second season, and again after his 3rd. Elite 8 the year before, Conference Co-Champs, NCAA #3 seed, but when they lost to Bucknell, he was an incompetent idiot. Same the year after; reg season co-champs, BXII tourney champs, NCAA #4 seed, loss to Bradley, incompetent idiot. Obviously KU basketball is held to higher standards, but the point is, until Gill and his crew put some achievements under their belt - season achievements, not individual game achievements (unless they beat both KState and MU this season, that usually guarantees at least another season!) - there will be plenty of honest, loyal, non-KU hating alumni who will think he's an incompetent idiot. It is the way of things.