Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Report: Mangino hired by Minnesota

Kansas Head Football Coach Mark Mangino awaits the beginning of the KU-Memphis game on Monday, April 7, 2008 at the Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas.

Out of football for a little more than nine months, former Kansas University head coach Mark Mangino apparently is back in the game.

KSTP Channel 5, an ABC affiliate in Minneapolis, is reporting that Mangino had been hired as a consultant to University of Minnesota football coach Tim Brewster.

On Wednesday afternoon, University of Minnesota officials refuted the report in response to an email sent by the Journal-World late Tuesday night.

Mangino has talked in the past about his respect for Brewster and the two coaches, along with their wives, Mary Jane and Cathy, have been friends for some time.

“Minnesota has made huge strides in their second season under Tim Brewster,” Mangino said in December of 2008 shortly after accepting a bowl bid to play the Gophers in the Insight Bowl. “They are making outstanding progress and will be a formidable bowl opponent.”

The Jayhawks won the game, 42-21, but a little more than a year later, Mangino, 53, was out at KU, resigning under pressure last December after an investigation into his conduct toward players in the KU program.

Mangino spent eight seasons in charge of the KU football program. He compiled a 50-48 overall record, making him the first KU head coach to have a winning record since Jack Mitchell went 44-42-5 from 1958-66. He left two wins shy of the school’s all-time wins record, which was set by A.R. Kennedy, who finished 52-9-4 from 1904-10.

The Manginos left Lawrence in May for Naples, Fla., where they purchased a home.

Comments

omari1911 4 years, 2 months ago

"Several Minnesota media outlets reported over the weekend that Mangino was on the Gophers’ sideline during their loss to USC last Saturday."

A quick review of tape from the game should confirm this. It shouldn't be easy to miss MM.

stravinsky 4 years, 2 months ago

Minnesota sure seems to like hiring ex-KU coaches...

Joe Ross 4 years, 2 months ago

That was my very first thought when I saw the headline!!!

kureader 4 years, 2 months ago

I didn't quite understand the past relationship between Mangino and Brewster ... maybe I'm supposed to know that already.

Anyway, I hope Mangino has some success again in whatever he does. Whether or not he deserved the incredible criticisms he received at KU, there has been enough of it. It's time to wish him well.

slowplay 4 years, 2 months ago

I heard, that after a recent renovation, the playing field slants drastically to the North. Look for MM to be standing behind the South end zone.

khummel60 4 years, 2 months ago

Very sad day for the "Bring Back Mangino" crowd. ;-)

In all seriousness, I wish Coach Mangino nothing but success. While I believe Gill is the perfect man for Kansas right now, Mangino accomplished things at KU that no other coach has in most of our lifetimes. For that I think we all owe him our gratitude, and should wish him all the best (despite how it all ended). I expect to see a more exciting brand of football at Minnesota from now on. Good Luck Coach M.

skdennis 4 years, 2 months ago

Totally agree. I wish MM nothing but success in wherever he ends up. As a longtime KU fan, we owe him a debt of gratitude for the level of success he brought us to. However, sometimes it is time for a change and Turner Gill is the right man at the right time. Let's be true Jayhawks and throw our support behind him.

smar4 4 years, 2 months ago

You all might have been Mangino fans, not like I didn't like the winning seasons... but my gf's dad coached and is good friends with an ex-mangino assistant at KU during the mangino years... this guy said that he can't even condone what they (all the assistant coaches) covered up for mangino... he said they wouldn't stick up for the players, they wouldn't answer questions from the media, they were that scared/loyal

Mangino got away with way too much, I'm glad it all came down on him in the end... KU is better off with a guy like Turner Gill... someone who will recruit and bring success back to KU

KUbsee69 4 years, 2 months ago

I know Darrell Stucky's uncle who said that Stucky did not have any problems with MM, nor did most of the active players. He felt that MM got railroaded.

Trailshooter 4 years, 2 months ago

What's frustrating is we the fans will probably never know the details... it is interesting that you don't hear too many players speaking out against him now that he is gone - it makes you wonder.

waywardJay 4 years, 2 months ago

Meanwhile other players family members come out and say that Mark Mangino bullied their kids. Honestly it has to be a little of Both.

Undeniably MM was overly aggressive witha few players, Collins, Patterson and Quigley for three. He also helped mold lesser talented players into winners and helped make men out of boys. Sadly, you cannot mention the one without mentioning the other.

This is the plus of GIll, even keel. Makes his players better men, and does not overstep his boundaries with kids.

Trailshooter 4 years, 2 months ago

Good points waywardJay... I agree he was more rough with players, but was it more so than any other coach in other programs? My point was simply if someone is fired, there should be substantial reasons for such, and we as fans do not get to see those substantial reasons (as documented by the university, apparently). And now that it's all over, I just would have thought we'd hear some more details from past players of how bad he really was, etc.

smar4 4 years, 2 months ago

I guess we will never know, either way, no looking back, we've got to give Gill his three years like we did Mangino... I'm excited to see how it goes

sevenyearhawk 4 years, 2 months ago

Good luck, Coach ...

I see this whole Mangino/Gill thing very much like the scenario in the movie Crimson Tide with Hackman like Mangino and Turner like Denzel.

LOTS of interesting parallels.

Is Kansas Football (and the department) better off without Coach Mangino and his abusive, controlling behavior?

Are we better off with Gill?

No, we're completely and royally fcuked.

Hope everyone will enjoy playing in the Big East, Mountain West - or worse.

slowplay 4 years, 2 months ago

I assume seven years is in reference to your age because those last two remarks are immature at best.

sevenyearhawk 4 years, 2 months ago

Seven years of college at the University of Kansas.

What you got?

Joseph Kuebel 4 years, 2 months ago

Thanks for clarifying, you missed (big surprise there) the sarcasm...

CatsEatBirds 4 years, 2 months ago

Seven- Hope you at least made it out of there with an Associates Degree.

slowplay 4 years, 2 months ago

It must seven and counting. That Freshman year can be pretty tough.

Joseph Kuebel 4 years, 2 months ago

Ya, 0-7 and faulty recruiting, after the scandal the 6 3 stars we had per year would not consider KU if we had kept MM... That would have been way better off! LOL...

Yea, here we come Big East? Mountain West? Ha, I assume you meant a small time conference without an automatic bid by Mountain West, but Big East? They do get an automatic bid...Furthermore Texas, and OU are going nowhere, as is the rest of the remaining Big 12...

Not just fail, extreme fail. I was going to write good try, but that does not apply. Try and think critically, you may want to look that one up.

Showing why you were a sevenyearhawk, seven years, and no degree.

Carter Patterson 4 years, 2 months ago

Seven years at college and no education. KU will be just fine...in a BCS conference.

ZDKC 4 years, 2 months ago

Minnesota is equally as crappy as KU this season. They need all the help they can get. The only difference between Minnesota football KU football is-- the players don't cry when coach calls them a "poo-poo head."

grandpa 4 years, 2 months ago

All I have to say is that Minnesota should keep a close look on their cafeteria. I have from good sources that Mangino came to our cafeteria an hour early and ate up most of the good food from our boys. That is why so many of them were weak from no food. Very few people know this.

Matt Kenton 4 years, 2 months ago

You know a lot of people go to college for seven years. I know, they're called doctors.

Funhawk 4 years, 2 months ago

We are much better off with Turner Gill. To begin with, our new head coach already broke the loosing streak he inherited, and by beating a Top 20 team, no less. Things are looking up!

waywardJay 4 years, 2 months ago

I'm sorry i have to expand upon this. ( expand. terrible ) Mark Mangino being a good fit for some place is delightful.

Jaminrawk 4 years, 2 months ago

Good for Mangino. Hopefully he can put the 2010 scandals behind him and learn from them. He's still a pretty smart coach on game day.

meremy 4 years, 2 months ago

I couldn't breathe I laughed so hard when I read this.

Chris Bruning 4 years, 2 months ago

i agree funhawk....our football program is heading in the right direction. and if anything ,gill is a guarantee that anything and everything will be handled with class and the correct way. the KU way.

KU_FanSince75 4 years, 2 months ago

Wow! Kind of surprising that Mangino was hired as a consultant. He does have a good football mind. He did accomplish a lot at KU. Surprising, because one of the analysts on ESPN (the guy whose son was at Texas Tech and Mike Leach was fired over it) said that Mangino would never coach again. This is consulting, not coaching, I know.

Which leads me to my question on my mind-----if Mangino was hired, I wonder when Mike Leach will be hired as a consultant. Did you see the crowd at Texas Tech last Saturday when they were playing Texas? I don't think Tubby will be a favorite coach at Tech. I think they wanted Leach back---realistically, it wouldn't happen, though. It will be interesting to see how Mangino will affect the Gopher program with his hiring.

KU_FanSince75 4 years, 2 months ago

162515----great minds think alike---I was thinking the same thoughts!

Dan Pawlowski 4 years, 2 months ago

An article about Mangino and we get many comments in the form of jokes about his weight. Gee what a surprise. You people have proven you can cut and paste. Your next challenge if you decide to accept it is to try for some originality.

CatsEatBirds 4 years, 2 months ago

Boulder- I accept the mission.

Conspiracy theory unveiled:

1. KU lets Mangino go while still paying him.
  2. KU hires former Cornhusker Gill and overpays him.
  3. NU joins the Big10.
  4. Minnesota hires Mangino.
  5. NU and Minn lobby the Big10 to invite KU.
  6. KU gets its wish and ditches the Big12 for the big money and laughs at MU and KSU.

What do I win?

Dan Pawlowski 4 years, 2 months ago

Nothing. I suspect you may be a KState fan.

Chris1955 4 years, 2 months ago

Interesting comments regarding the Big Ten.

I heard someone from the Big Ten on a Houston sports radio program this morning. I didnt catch the beginning of the interview, but from what I heard, it seems that the Big Ten is planning future expansion toward a 16 team conference that would take place 4-5 years from now. If you look at a look at where to split a 16 team conference into a Eastern and Western division it would look like this:

Eastern Divsion (Eastern Time Zone)

Penn State Ohio State Indiana Purdue Michigan Michigan State + 2 teams (Norte Dame? Pittsburgh? Rutgers? Syracuse?)

Western Division (Central Time Zone)

Illinois Northwestern Wisconsin Iowa Minnesota Nebraska +2 teams (Kansas? Missouri? Iowa State? Kansas State?)

My guess is that Pittsburgh and Rutger would join the Big Ten Eastern division and KU and Missouri would join the Western Division.

Thoughts?

kcgregory 4 years, 2 months ago

I don't doubt your theory that Big 10 isn't finished expanding, but I think you're putting too much emphasis on geography. They'll get the biggest hitters regardless of location and there's no way Ohio St., Penn St., Michigan, and Notre Dame would play in the same division.

CatsEatBirds 4 years, 2 months ago

Any Big12 north team should be so lucky as to get an invite...

It's not true that KU and KSU are tied at the hip and would have to be in the same conference? I thought it was similar to OU/OSU, you get one, you get both per the state's desires.

truefan 4 years, 2 months ago

We're not tied at the hip. It was already ruled by state officials that there is no legal binding between KU and KSU and if one gets invited they can leave. I don't think it would be the right thing to do, but we could join different conferences.

dtownhawkfan 4 years, 2 months ago

Maybe Gill should hire him as a consultant, so the offense a semblance of an idea.....or maybe he should still be our coach