Sunday, September 19, 2010

Recruit Josiah Turner picks Arizona

Several basketball recruits were in attendance at Late Night. Pictured, from left to right, are Royce Woolridge, Josiah Turner, Josh Selby, Doron Lamb and Harrison Barnes.

Josiah Turner, a 6-foot-3-inch senior basketball point guard from Sacramento (Calif.) High, orally committed to the University of Arizona on Sunday at the conclusion of his official campus visit.

Rivals.com’s No. 10-rated player chose the Wildcats over Kansas University, UCLA, Oregon and Louisville.

Turner earlier had planned to make an official visit to KU for the Oct. 15 Late Night in the Phog. He also attended Late Night last year.

Arizona also has received a commitment from his AAU teammate and good friend, Nick Johnson.

“I had a lot of fun here (on visit),” Turner told the Arizona Daily Star. “I bonded with everybody.”

The Wildcats are two over their NCAA-allowed limit of 12 scholarships for 2011-12.

Arizona and KU are both recruiting LeBryan Nash, 6-7 from Dallas Lincoln High, who recently told Zagsblog.net that Oklahoma State “might have a slight lead over everybody else and they might be the school to beat.” Nash, who will visit KU for Late Night, also is considering Baylor. He will announce his college choice on Oct. 21 on ESPN.

Comments

gardenjay 9 years, 5 months ago

Maybe we should just recruit KU students.

OCJHAWK 9 years, 5 months ago

Why do you waste your precious time on a sports site if you don't think KU should be a scholorship sports school?

gardenjay 9 years, 5 months ago

Shorter sentences save time - and I don't like one-and-dones. Nothing wrong with that opinion for a pro-KU fan.

Brian Leiker 9 years, 5 months ago

That's okay. He's just worried about the impending nba lockout and knows he wouldn't sniff the court with Selby and EJ on board.

Dan Harris 9 years, 5 months ago

Long shot but come on down Mr. Rivers!

Andrew Moore 9 years, 5 months ago

I just don't want to lose McLemore. He's the man! We must lock him in ASAP. I'd also like to see Rivers.

I just want to at least get these guys on campus. Both Nick Johnson and J. Turner scheduled officials here before committing to AZ. What is AZ doing to get these guys?

The 2011 class has been a total disappointment so far

aerohawk 9 years, 5 months ago

The conversation might go something like this:

Coach: "Imagine that you had something in your left hand that would make you forget about those visits to other schools in your right hand"

Player: "Like what?"

Coach: "I don't know, say $10,000"

Player: "What visits are you talking about?"

Coach: "Exactly what I wanted to hear."

Player leaves with room with 10 large.

UofAallDay 9 years, 5 months ago

Wow, jealousy's a B*. Smack is smack, but throwing out the $ jsut shows how much you don't know. As a UofA fan, I have respect for the JHawks, and considered them a rival of ours 5-10 years back. Our program was shaky for a couple years when we were in between coaches which was only to be expected. After Miller came to town, we have been on the steady rise again. I have been to Lawrence and can tell you, not much going on, and I even grew up in the midwest. You want to know why he committed?...Way better weather, girls, parties, football program, and best of all, we are not in Lawrence Kansas! We now have a great coaching staff and program is on the rise....see you deep in the tourney in 2011 and beyond...that's why!!!!

UofAallDay 9 years, 5 months ago

True...there are definitely rough parts of Tucson...however, Tucson is literally 5 times larger than Lawrence. There is more to do there. The weather is better and the girls there can compete with any school. I agree, I wouldn't want a player to go to UofA for the partying either. And, I did just throw the football team excuse on there because as of yesterday we are now ranked 14. Im still feeling the buzz from our game this past weekend. But it does irritate me when people on here talk about how great Kansas is and can't believe how any other school can "steal" a recruit. UofA now has a lot to offer and you shouldn't be shocked when more big time recruits continue to head there. Miller is putting a program together to win Pac 12 championships (and don't tell me the Pac is soft because of 2 down years) and go deep come March. He is looking for a NCAA Championship and that is a major reason why Book is sticking around because he believes Miller has the skills, recruiting, facilities, and now a big time basketball school with following to do it...

hailtoku 9 years, 5 months ago

Yeah because recruits go to Duke for Durham and UNC for Chapel Hill... how about Lexington or East Lansing.

You're an idiot. Lawrence is a skip away from Kansas City and Tuscon is nothing to write home about.

UofAallDay 9 years, 5 months ago

A skip away from Kansas City?..Kansas City? Turner is from Cali...man, you don't get around much do you...and you're right, Tucson is not much to write home about, but of the 30,000 co-eds, 25% of which are smokin hot are...

UofAallDay 9 years, 5 months ago

Oh, and I failed to mention, we have a brand new practice facility with the Richard Jefferson Gymnasium...and, oh yeah, we're Point Guard U!!!

hailtoku 9 years, 5 months ago

Please... don't talk to Kansas about facilities.

Let me get this straight... you searched for a Kansas athletics Web site... filled out information... created a screen name... and now talking s***?

You need to get laid.

UofAallDay 9 years, 5 months ago

I look at a few different schools websites from time to time because highschool prospects / recruiting interests me. I like to see other point of views. I was only commenting on all the JHawk fans claiming Miller must be paying students to play for him. Its ridiculous....Lexington, Durham, Chappel Hill, Lawrence...all have something in common, and its not about the city...its the great coaches in them. Turner recognized one in Tucson. You may not have it now, but you will have respect for Miller in the future...and saying you need to get laid? Haha. We got quality out here on the West Coast..now you're the one just runnnig their mouth!

David Lara 9 years, 5 months ago

Try convincing any other human being that you are on the west coast. Your in the f-ing desert man!!! Get serious. The weather blows: hot, hot, and devil's sphincter is about all you get. And you can't tell me you don't get SICK of the scenery. You like feeling like you are on the moon the whole time? How far do you have to drive to see some natural vegetation that isn't tumbleweeds and sagebrush. Snoozeville bud. Hope you like visiting native american excavation sites. Get reeeeeeeeel

steamboat 9 years, 5 months ago

I don't know why Rivers is wasting his time or our time. It's been known all along he's Duke bound. Self needs to do like Roy did and just focus on the guys he truly wants. e.g. Selby. We are getting kinda guard heavy don't ya think. Bring in some size. GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!

truefan 9 years, 5 months ago

Not according to Rivers after his in home visit with coach Self. He said he was extremely impressed and he will definitely make a trip here.

jh1808 9 years, 5 months ago

Check out the roster...there's a very good chance Selby jumps to the NBA, regardless of the impending lockout. That would leave us with a backcourt of Tyshawn, EJ, and Woolridge. If Tyshawn plays up to his potential, he could go also. I would say we could use a guard or two. On the flip side, we will have T-Rob, Withey, and Kieff back at worst down low, and there's a good chance Marcus sticks around to play out his senior year with his bro.

NebraskaJayhawk 9 years, 5 months ago

Very good take on it. My opinion exactly.

Chris Shaw 9 years, 5 months ago

Wow! Wow! I am totally shocked! After the Chiefs victory today, this was not the news I was looking for about the Jayhawks. The Zona fans were getting pretty cocky on the message boards that this could happen after Turner's visit and I guess it was true.

This is a pretty big blow at least in terms of recruiting for KU. I thought Turner was KU's point guard of the future. Just goes to show that Sean Miller is pulling out all the stops out West. He's going for jugular right now and making Zona a playa. Wow!

Andy Hess 9 years, 5 months ago

too bad for Zona that they're already over scholarships by one for 2011 without counting Turner. I wonder how many players are going to get kicked off to make this monster class work?

UofAallDay 9 years, 5 months ago

Probably just one...DWill will most likely be going to the draft next year

Ryan Sullivan 9 years, 5 months ago

Fo reals Swishy? If AZ is over scholarship limit and they take some away from current players, then that's a crappy thing to do. Yes, you want to rebuild the program and get better talent, but taking away an 18-21 year old kind's scholarship is a terrible thing to do, just morally or ethically. Be interesting to see if that happens. I think that greasy sleezball Calapari did that, but frankly nothing that guy does surprises me.

KU hasn't been doing great in recruiting so far for 2011, but I'm sure HCBS will end up getting it done. We need Bigs more than anything in this class. I want to get McLemore, and either Nash or Rivers would be great. But with the twins probably leaving after this year, 2 of the 3 - Chol, Pelle, Hopkins - is what would fill the need.

Chaz13 9 years, 5 months ago

What about getting Perry Ellis in 2012?

jh1808 9 years, 5 months ago

Haha, this post is comical. Does anyone here remember Quintrell Thomas? What about Tyrone Appleton? Let's not throw too many stones...it happens everywhere.

Andrew Moore 9 years, 5 months ago

If you think about just strict team needs, assuming we lose Selby and Marcus to the NBA and Little, Reed and Morningstar to graduation, It really leaves us with big needs in the backcourt as much as the frontcourt.

We'd have Tyshawn, Elijah and Releford (plus Royce if he's ready by then) and a frontcourt of Withey and Robinson. We wouldn't have much of a bench at all for those two bigs. We wouldn't have ANY 3 pt shooters at all. I think getting an explosive player, a dead eye shooter and two bigs would be perfect for this class.

Of course that means locking in McLemore and then two of the three bigs mentioned above (Chol, Pelle or Hopkins) and then as far as shooters go... Austin Rivers? Just get him on campus! Thats all I'm hoping for at this point.

yates33333 9 years, 5 months ago

What do you figure Arizona is paying for players these days?

steamboat 9 years, 5 months ago

Self had better stop dragging his feet or we are going to lose out on everybody. Selby's not here yet either so look out things could get pretty slim. There's a reason Withey left Arizona. He won't even see the court until mop up time

youowethehawks 9 years, 5 months ago

Self "dragging his feet" on recruiting...

You make me laugh audibly.

steamboat 9 years, 5 months ago

OK smart one tell me then who do we have locked up and for sure for 2011? You probably laughed after the Northern Iowa game too didn't ya?

TwistedFish31 9 years, 5 months ago

I smell a rat (tiger fan). You aren't foolong anyone Steamboat Willy!

Michael Pannacciulli 9 years, 5 months ago

the campus is great, Lute's legendary years are some cool history, and he's west coast...so not shocked. it's an oral commit...you never know. I'm sure we will keep an eye on him.

UofAallDay 9 years, 5 months ago

I like how people on here talk about Zona must be paying players...then you come out and say its "just a verbal," and "we will keep an eye on him"...goes to show you lack respect for the recruiting process. I realize this is a KU board, so I have said my peace and will stay out of it...all I know is, you will respect the AZ program again, soon enough.

hailtoku 9 years, 5 months ago

I mean maybe one day for a season here or there... but you'll never be and KU's level... and you being on here is a sign that you admit that and are just projecting your inferiority complex for all of us.

UofAallDay 9 years, 5 months ago

I have some buddies that went to KU and we always talk a little trash but keep it civil. Plus we're all been watching college basketball for some time now. Again, I have respect for what Kansas has done over the past. You guys average a championship once about every 25 years. And you know what, thats better than Zona's 1. But you seriously need to get over yourself. You'll never be at KU's level? With our coach in place, we'll be competing with you for the next 20 years....and hey maybe you can keep your streak alive and win one more during that time.

Chris Shaw 9 years, 5 months ago

UofASometimes: Make sure when you go back to your Zona sites that you make something very clear. There have been a couple of posters that have stated and or implied about "Paying Recruits". That doesn't reflect an entire fanbase so let's just get that straight.

If you're going to go back, make sure you quote those posters who you believe has wronged yourself and Zona. Nothing I hate worse than people generalizing. You have to remember, there are over 40 different posters on here and over 110 comments so make sure you're specific when you go back home.

UofAallDay 9 years, 5 months ago

Don't worry. I take it all in stride. I dont have some regular group of internet blogging friends to report to, so your secrets are safe that every group will have a few arrogant douchbags. Thats just the way it is. HailToKU fits this bill well.

Jaminrawk 9 years, 5 months ago

Wow, that is sort of a shocker. Arizona stinks. You're talking about a team with double-digit losses for five consecutive years.

Mark Lindrud 9 years, 5 months ago

As long as we can get a small forward and a center next year I am good. Those are our biggest needs right now. Rivers would be a nice get though. As long as we get a shooter.

coachmillerera 9 years, 5 months ago

lol you guys are hilarious. The bitterness in these comments is pretty hilarious. Pretending like you didn't actually want him, and resorting to accusing us of paying players? hahahahahaha! Keep telling yourself it was that instead of realizing Coach Miller just out worked and out recruited Self.

As far as the scholarship question, we have a senior leaving, we have another guy (Jacobson) who is graduating early and won't be playing, and most likely either Lavender or Mayes will be transferring. We will have plenty of room for Josiah, Nick and Sidiki.

You stay classy KU, we'll see you in vegas when we woop you again, just like we did in McKale last time we played.

coachmillerera 9 years, 5 months ago

lol did you even read that Article?

1. That happened under a Coach, Assistant coaching staff, and AD that aren't around anymore.

2. It had nothing to do with paying players, the problem was with fund raising.

3. I wouldn't be talking about sanctions if I were you with yours coming soon enough for your ticket scandal.

hailtoku 9 years, 5 months ago

Arizona is a third tier basketball program...

jh1808 9 years, 5 months ago

You have no idea what you are talking about...clearly. Please go home.

Sam Constance 9 years, 5 months ago

Yeah, that was an embarrassing loss.

Of course, I'm guessing it doesn't sting as much as it probably did when KU knocked your senior-laden, #1 Wildcats out of the tourney in 2003.

I'm not about to suggest that Arizona paid recruits to attend there. But try to look at this from an outside perspective:

Arizona is in the midst of self-imposed probation Arizona missed the tourney last year and probably should have missed it the year before Arizona has 5 consecutive years of double-digit losses Recruit cancels other "official" visits immediately after visiting Arizona.

Only an extremely naive person or a homer would look at that set of facts and not be at least a tad curious about how Miller has landed such an impressive class in spite of having so many negative factors working against him.

Plus, recruiting in NCAA basketball is becoming a bit like steroids in MLB. It's hard not to think that everyone is dirty. It's just a matter of to what degree? So when a coach/school seems to pull a rabbit out of a hat, it's going to raise eyebrows, fair or not.

For myself, I'm disappointed we didn't get this recruit, but I can say in all honesty, if he liked Arizona enough after his visit that he doesn't even feel the need to see his other options, then it's probably best that he not come to Kansas. The simple truth is that we don't want anyone who doesn't want to be here--I suppose some will interpret that as sour grapes, true or not.

gchawk 9 years, 5 months ago

Good points. There is/are other reasons Turner picked Arizona, one of them probably being the promise of immediate playing time, who knows, he may have received that here. I'm with you, I definitely don't want anyone who doesn't want to be here.

coachmillerera 9 years, 5 months ago

Oh ok, so if you guys landed him theres nothing at all to be suspicious of, but because we did there are questions?? hahaha, talk about a double standard.

You know he choose Arizona? Because Coach Miller and his staff worked their butts off to get him. They were at every single one of his games, did amazingly well at the in home visits, and just flat out worked Coach Self. Plain and simple. Players are seeing what is going on at AZ and realizing the great things are happening there and want to be a part of it.

Coach Miller is one of the nicest, cleanest, hard working coaches in all of college basketball, and the success he has had with his first 3 classes is proof of that.

gchawk 9 years, 5 months ago

I will never understand why someone would come onto our message board and not expect negative sentiments when we lose out on a recruit we really wanted. What do you want us to do, congratulate you for procuring our recruit? Most of us are just sounding off anyway and trying to minimize our loss. While your support of Coach Miller is admirable, our feelings about Coach Self are just as strong, if not stronger. I doubt that Miller worked any harder than Coach Self did, Turner probably thought he fit better there. I'll wager any amount you would want that he'll regret the decision in another year or two, jmo.

coachmillerera 9 years, 5 months ago

I'm fine with negative comments, and no I don't expect people to be happy about losing a recruit. The only reason I commented is some idiots here are throwing around some pretty serious accusations about our Coach, and it pissed me off. I'm sure if we were saying some of these things about Coach Self you would feel the same way.

gchawk 9 years, 5 months ago

Were these people on the Arizona message board spouting off?

Sam Constance 9 years, 5 months ago

"Oh ok, so if you guys landed him theres nothing at all to be suspicious of, but because we did there are questions??"

Um, I don't think I said that at all. And I can't help but laugh at your "Miller outworked Self" claim. You have no more idea than ANY of us do why Turner chose Arizona.

But regardless, the fact that he chose Arizona isn't really the point here. These kids are free to make their own choices based on what they feel is best for them, and I'm fine with that. My only concern is how he visited Arizona, made his decision and eliminated other schools that he hadn't even visited yet.

Maybe it's just a case of a kid making a rash decision due to getting caught up in all the attention. Maybe it's a case of him being really mature and knowing exactly what he wants. Maybe the kid thinks that playing with friends is what's best for his development. Maybe Miller promised him playing time. Maybe it's something else entirely. We don't really know and it's foolish to pretend otherwise. The same could be said for Self's recruits.

Look, I'm not trashing Arizona, but to act like there are "great things going on" when compared to what some other schools are doing right now (not just Kansas), it just makes you sound delusional. Yes, Arizona is in a better spot than they were 2-3 years ago when all that strange stuff with Lute Olson was going on. But that can only be considered "great" relative to what was going on.

The basic fact is that Arizona has struggled in a crappy Pac-10 and probably should have missed the tournament the last two years (instead of just last year).

Miller is a good coach and may be able to return the Wildcats to their previous form, but it's far from a foregone conclusion. I understand where you're coming from--a fan who wants to see his school/program be successful. But it might be wise to tone down the braggadocio until there is some solid evidence of said success.

coachmillerera 9 years, 5 months ago

No, that moron Jim Livengood (our former AD) tried to hire him, and the fan base damn near killed him for it and basically ran him out of town for the way he handled the coaching change.

And yeah Coach Miller went 16-15 in his first year breaking the streak. He also had no depth at all because we missed out on 2 straight recruiting classes thanks to the coaching turmoil, could only play about 6 guys deep, was trying to implement a completely different system, had a roster built mainly out of freshmen, and was working with a PG who had 4 coaches in 4 years. It would hard for ANY 1 st year coach to make the tournament with all that working against him, even Coach Self.

And as far as "struggles with being the best college team in the state for crying out loud" that's just hilarious. Is that why we landed the best recruit from Arizona this last recruiting class and 2011? Is that why we put over 5000 fans in our RIVALS building every year since they can't fill it on their own? Is that why ASU averages barely 9,000 fans a game in an arena that holds over 14,000 in a major metropolitan area, while we average over 13,000 a game? Is that why we lead the series between us by 60 games? We split with ASU last year destroying them on their court. With a comment like that I should have know that you from Phoenix, and probably a closet asu fan.

And what the hell is a person from Phoenix doing coming to our games anyways?? Your a Kansas fan that lives in Phoenix who goes to Arizona games and apparently has a soft spot for ASU??? WTF is that all about?

Tim Shockley 9 years, 5 months ago

I want a commitment from McLemore after Late Night, I think he's going to be special. Pelle and Chol for depth in the front court would be a nice haul too. Add in Nash and or Rivers it'd make the class that much more special. Work your magic Coach Self

jhox 9 years, 5 months ago

No reason for panic. I believe next year's class will likely be as strong or stronger than any Self has recruited thus far. Guys will likely wait to see who is leaving after this season, and I have a feeling we'll have a lot of the current players making the jump after this season, opening up a lot of playing time an opportunities for Freshmen next year.

There is also no reason to be implying Arizona is playing for players. Tucson is an appealing place, loaded with attractive girls. I can definitely see why an 18 yo kid would want to go to school there. It's quite a bit nicer than Lexington, KY.

Tony Bandle 9 years, 5 months ago

I am not about to devalue this decision. Losing Josiah Turner hurts, no question about it. Just because he chose Zona doesn't negate the fact that we could have really used him.

My thinking is that with very reliable contacts available to the players, this NBA Lockout is a much larger possibility than we are believing.

No NBA, No one leaves early. Selby stays another year. Turner might have to battle the 2010 #1 with a year's worth of experience for PT. I don't know but its a scenario that is possible.

calisleazygoku 9 years, 5 months ago

I think we will get a commitment from Ben McLemore. He's "dreamed" of becoming a Jayhawk. As for Turner, yes it is disappointing but I have faith in Coach Self and his staff to bring in another great class

Tony Bandle 9 years, 5 months ago

Losing Turner hurts, no question. Maybe these kids are getting inside info that the NBA lockout is going to be real and that he saw that he would be competing for PT with the #1 player of 2010 who would have a year's experience.

A possible scenario...who knows???

Jaminrawk 9 years, 5 months ago

It's funny everyone freaks out every year ... yet Self still brings in a top guy when the dust settles. Get use to these kids committing in Spring and going to places where they know they will start for one year before going pro. We still have a lot of guys coming to Late Night and we're on almost every remaining recruit's list.

kltbadboyz 9 years, 5 months ago

The bad thing about Turner going to AZ is that he was the only point guard we were mainly recruiting. If There isn't an NBA lockout, Selby leaves after one year, and Taylor has a good enough year where he can leave early, KU will be really thin at pg. The only pg with any experience would be Elijah. Royce might have to learn to play some point. The other guys we are mainly recruiting are more of 2 and 3's. Rivers, Nash, Mclemore. We'll lose Reed, Morningstar, and Little to graduation. This gets more confusing if Marcus leaves early. Lets hope coach Self can bring this recruiting class together like years past.No reason not to trust him.

Theutus 9 years, 5 months ago

I think you are underestimating EJ's ability. I believe that if EJ was put in the hot-seat right now as our go-to 1 PG, he'd not only succeed, but he'd end up being one of the best PG's in the country by the end of the season....

Sure he needs some experience (and he may hit a few speed bumps throughout the season), but that kid has enough athletic ability (and a good head on his shoulders) that he is going to be amazing as soon as he gets his shot on the floor.

RockChalk26 9 years, 5 months ago

I agree. I think EJ will bring it this year.

Selbyville 9 years, 5 months ago

EJ is the point guard of the future, Turner's decision doesn't affect the strength of next year's back court very much. I know he's good and all, but it's not like we don't already have other guys on the team, and other recruits in the mix.

No reason at all to freak out about this

KULA 9 years, 5 months ago

Hey LyBryan, (or whatever your name is) OSU might be the team to beat in the LB Nash sweepstakes, but you know who's the team to beat in the Big 12? Kansas.

Chris Shaw 9 years, 5 months ago

"Shockers" happen everyday in the recruiting world of college basketball. There is no secret that OSU leads for LeBryan Nash's services. I've always thought if KU could get him on campus that that would increase KU's opportunities to land him.

Some of you might have seen it, but here is the Zagsblog article on LeBryan Nash over the weekend. Sean Miller is being very aggressive and he doesn't care if he goes over his scholarship limit. He wants to compete and he wants to compete hard. No telling what he is going to tell LeBryan Nash this upcoming weekend, but whatever it is there is a definite stratgic plan in Miller's camp to get to these recruits before they

Now, if LeBryan Nash goes to Zona than that will be a "Double Shocker" and definitely raise some eyebrows. A simple "Wow Wow" would be sufficient considering Zona would then be 2 players over their scholarship limit and would have to force some guys out of the program or remove their scholarship and resort to being walk-ons or simply transfer.

Chris Shaw 9 years, 5 months ago

My last sentence of paragraph got deleted half way through:

"No telling what he is going to tell LeBryan Nash this upcoming weekend, but whatever it is there is a definite stratgic plan in Miller's camp to get to these recruits before they get to Late Night and Lawrence on Oct 15th."

voygr1 9 years, 5 months ago

I have been on the Arizona campus and it is spread out all over the place. I saw nothing that would entice a recruit to go there. My guess starting or playing time has been promised. Tucson has little to offer as well. I live in Arizona and love the weather so maybe thats a factor. Olsen was invovled in some shady recruiting so I dont trust anyone from there. I am sure Nick Johnson was a factor in Turner picking AZ originally he was going to attend where another of his AAU team members. Coach Self will do the job just have patience!!

Chris Shaw 9 years, 5 months ago

I agree that playing time was probably a big factor in this decision. I also read that Zona being on the West Coast and close to home for his family to come and watch games was big reason for his decision.

With all that said, I think the "Deciding" factor though was that Miller became the sole recruiter for Turner. Turner did state that Miller was the only head coach that was constantly recruiting him towards the end of his recruitment instead of the assistant coaches of the other schools.

Not sure what that means, but probably some underlying factor there. I'm sure Self was there for the "In-Home" visit just last week with Turner.

Jory Collins 9 years, 5 months ago

Enough with the "what's Arizona paying players these days" comments. We aren't going to get every player we want. We're still on great players. Relax

Greg Lux 9 years, 5 months ago

His lose ... U of A is not the school it use to be when Olson was in charge. Bonding is great .. but Learning and improving the skills he will need to be successful at the next level are at KU. Best wishes to you Josiah.

Rock Chalk

Chris Shaw 9 years, 5 months ago

I don't necessarily agree with that because Sean Miller is a heck of a coach and has always been a great recruiter. Sometime the new kid on the block has a lot to offer. New and Fresh can be a nice selling point.

Chris Shaw 9 years, 5 months ago

LJW: This would be a great opportunity to go behind the scenes to get a great story. I would be very interested to read and learn about how a decision like Josiah Turner's impacts Coach Self and the rest of the staff for the KU basketball program.

I know it's hard without revealing secrets or divulging strategy, but obviously KU and Self felt pretty confident they were going to land Turner. I mean, it's been like that for almost a year now. I know the staff put a lot of time, work, and energy into this kid so it would be interesting to see how the staff's focus and attention shifts to other players in the class.

How do they get involved in another player's recruitment kinda late in the game after a shocker like this?

Does KU get back involved with Jabari Brown even though he isn't a true PG?

The pressure to land McClemore or Nash and or both becomes intense?

Maybe KU has a trick up it's sleave with Rivers? The pundits say his visit went spectacular Saturday night?

The one thing we do know as fans is that KU is left without a possible PG replacement in the class of 2011andd it would be interesting to see how the staff reacts to that. Quinn Cook is still out there, but I'm afraid KU neglected him in hopes of Turner. The same could be said about Trevor Lacey.

Joe Baker 9 years, 5 months ago

Why wouldn't Turner choose Zona? He'll start all four years at pg. He doesn't want to compete with Selby, EJ and Woolridge for a position. He'll have it easy at Zona.

All KU had was a chance and maybe a little prayer for Turner. Don't start the campaign for Rivers either. The chances are even less with him too. You can give up on Beal too. You know these coaches are giving them some story about how KU is too loaded and they'll never play or see much of the court. They use KU's strengths to their advantage during the recruiting process. Many of these coaches are masters of recruiting, particularly Miller. These kids are impressionable, emotional and eager!!

No other program even has a chance with McLemore. Fizzou or Tennessee is completely unattractive right now for any recruit. I will be totally shocked if McLemore decides against KU.

Chol McLemore Nash- We do have a slighly better chance according to his list: KU, OSU and Baylor. I watched some vid on this kid and he's very Pierce-like!! He's on campus 10/16/09? We play k-state 10/14 at home and 10/16 is a Saturday? Again, another strange recruiting visit! What will influence him? Just being on campus, student body, players or staff? all the above? previously played football game?

Who was the kid Pierce was speaking to?

Joe Baker 9 years, 5 months ago

Well, maybe the Truth will set the River free!!!!!

kvskubball 9 years, 5 months ago

Because Austin Rivers is the son of Doc Rivers, Pierce's Boston Celtic's coach

Tony Bandle 9 years, 5 months ago

Maybe Josiah saw the Kansas football game Friday and said, I've seen enough.

Maybe Josiah checked the Farmer's Almanac and saw the average winter temperature in Lawrence was about 20 degree, in Arizona was about 70 degrees.

Maybe Josiah looked on a map and saw there were three states between his home and KU and no states between his home and Arizona.

Maybe Josiah likes cats [Wildcats] more than birds [Jayhawks]

Maybe Josiah made the decision like an eighteen year old and all of our speculation as to why is as silly as the four previous statements.

Selbyville 9 years, 5 months ago

I'm not so sure I understand. Are you being funny?

Tony Bandle 9 years, 5 months ago

If you have to ask, I guess not.

Selbyville, actually, I am disappointed. I thought he would have been great as a Jayhawk both on and off the court. I do, however, wish every prospect who doesn't pick KU that their choice works for out them. No sour grapes or hard feelings.

milehighhawk 9 years, 5 months ago

FIRE BILL SELF, BRING BACK ROY WILLIAMS AND AL BOHL

Chris Shaw 9 years, 5 months ago

Let's look at the rest of the possible KU recruits from the 2011. It gets pretty "Iffy" from here on out. We shall see though.

Ben McClemore-KU still looks pretty good and the front runner. However, most thought the same about Bradley Beal and J. Turner.

LeBryan Nash-Baylor and OSU look to be the favorites with KU on the outside looking in. However, Nash just mentioned Zona and since he is going there this weekend who knows what will happen. Darrell Arthur "Shocker" in the works? Hope so.

Austin Rivers-Everybody seems to be saying Duke. This would be the "Shocker" of the last 10 years if he came to KU. Would be huge and actually becomes a little more of a necessity.

Bradley Beal-According to Mascott of the shiver, he hates recruiting, but is trying to get caught up on the Beal situation.

Jabari Brown-I think most know his story. He really liked KU at one time, but I think KU was looking in other directions with McClemore, Nash, Rivers, and possibly Beal.

Angelo Chol-I'm not really worried about Big Men at the moment because I know KU will land one between Chol, Pelle, O'Bryant, and Hopkins.

Norvell Pelle-Will get either him or Chol-I like Pelle better , but either would be great in a KU uniform.

Johnny O'Bryant-He is your true 6'10 center with size and would be a great addition.

Hopkins-He is a lot like Chol and Pelle being that they are a little on the under size of the scale. He would play more of the PF position.

Quin Cook-He was on KU's radar for a long time, but I have no idea where he and KU stands at the moment. It seemed like he got fazed out when KU put it all out there for Turner.

Trevor Lacey-Big Strong PG that isn't the quickest, but is a stronger version of Russ Rob. Not sure where KU stands with him either. He was on the radar during the summer.

Chasson Randle. Another PG from Rock Island, IL that was on KU's radar at one time during the summer.

I may be missing 1 or 2 guys, but I think that's about it unless KU gets in late on some new guys.

I'm not really worried about the SG, SM, or PF/C positions because I think KU will pick somebody up there. After the Turner decsion it will be interesting to see if KU gets back in the mold with some of those other PG's in this 2011 class. I don't know if KU had a backup plan, but I'm hoping they do. Will be interesting to watch.

milehighhawk 9 years, 5 months ago

Great analysis as usual, KUshaw.

To be honest, I'm less concerned about our recruiting class now than at any point in the last 25 years or so. The depth of our team is astounding, and it would be nice to see some of the "program guys" get some minutes down the road. I'm certain Self will pull in a big name or two in the next couple years, but honestly don't mind if we have a relatively "quiet" class of Top 100 kids.

Your thoughts?

Chris Shaw 9 years, 5 months ago

Milehawk: I kind of agree. You can't have blockbuster recruiting classes every year so I do agree with you there. You have to fill your "Needs" where they come within your program and yes you're going to have "Quiet" classes every now and then. I mean, KU filled their needs this past year with Selby and Woolridge and it works despite KU getting the #1 recruit in nation. I do believe though, that 2011 and 2012 are big, big, big opportunities for KU in recruiting and need to be somewhat "Power" classes to prepare KU for the future.

I've always said that 4 player recruiting classes are the best if you have a lot of people graduating or leaving for the draft. I'm okay with 5 player recruiting classes as long as that fifth is another big. I think once you start doubling up positions unless it's at the center or power forward positions, that's a bad recipe because guys start getting unhappy and then transfer.

I mean, KU brought in 7 guys in the 2008-2009 and i think that was way too many. I know KU had the scholarships, but I knew something wasn't going to work out there. KU tripled up on "Big's" with Kieff and Marcus and Q. Thomas left. KU basically quadrupled up on guards with Taylor, Little, and Releford, and T. Appleton left.

In the end, I do agree with you that KU needs some quiet classes, but 2011 and 2012 are important classes for KU for the next 3 or 4 years to set up that next foundation. There are a lot of "What If's", but KU is in a deep hole if Kieff, Marcus, Selby and Taylor all leave next year to go along with the departures of Little, Reed, and Morningstar. Not saying they will all leave, but what happens if they do? You have to prepare for that possibility just in case.

Tony Bandle 9 years, 5 months ago

I keep hearing about Bradley Beal...is there a problem with Florida and his commitment? I know for a fact that Kansas was a very, very close second. Has something happened to reopen the door? I have seen nothing to indicate that he is going to be anything but a Gator.

Chris Shaw 9 years, 5 months ago

There have been rumblings and rumors for quite sometime (Since he committed to Florida) that there may be an opportunity for him to back out of his commitment.

Yes, KU was a very close second and many believed he was going to KU. The Shiver for quite sometime has said there may be a possibility that he could back out. They aren't guaranteeing anything, but there seems to a possibility there.

Apparently, (Don't know what the true story is), Beal's mother was also a little shocked that her son chose Florida. I would just continue to follow Mascott and see what he has to say on The Shiver. Once a kid commits to another school, there isn't going to be published articles about his situation until he actually backs out of his commitment. For right now, it's just message boards and unofficial information about his recruitment.

Joe Baker 9 years, 5 months ago

Maybe Billy Donovan drank that blue kentucky kool-aid just to see how it tastes. He offered Beal some of it and it taste like kentucky crap grass!!

Tony Bandle 9 years, 5 months ago

kushaw..I agree. I know his mother loved HCBS, the campus and the fact she was only a 5 hour drive away.[Even if she did have to drive through Columbia, MO. each way!! My statement, not hers] :}

Jaminrawk 9 years, 5 months ago

Not to be superstitious, but the last two major recruits we landed had at some point been committed to another team (Henry and Selby). Maybe Rivers (previously committed to Florida) will be three in a row. My guess is that Duke has him, but we've been shocked before. His dad, Doc, sort of reminds me of Bill Self in the way he stresses defense so I wouldn't be shocked if he picks KU. Hopefully Paul stays in this kid's ear.

One thing is for sure, we have to land McLemore now.

Joe Baker 9 years, 5 months ago

You wrote RIvers but you meant Beal.

A little Truth won't hurt the Rivers recruiting. I just don't want Pierce's agent involved...No agent involvement please. We'll be hearing that McLemore spoke to Pierce's agent and he'll be investigated!! LOL

I think McLemore is pretty much all Jayhawk!

Chris Shaw 9 years, 5 months ago

Jaminrawk has it. Austin Rivers was also committed to Florida early, but backed out and reopened his recruitment. Now if only Beal would follow in his fellow classmates shoes.

lvhawk01 9 years, 5 months ago

ku is sleeping on deandre daniels who decommitted from texas and is interested in kansas according to rivals.com he is a top 15 player who can play both the 3 and 4 and yet i have not heard a thing about ku recruiting him.

lvhawk01 9 years, 5 months ago

Sam Constance 9 years, 5 months ago

I'm getting a bit disenchanted with the entire recruiting process. We start talking about high school talent earlier and earlier, before anyone can possibly know how a given recruit will pan out in college.

Now, instead of a recruit needing amazing talent to be considered a "one-and-done" (previously known as "straight to the pros") there is a tacit assumption that the top handful of kids from any given class are capable of playing in the NBA.

Not to mention the fact that these recruits are starting to consider things like "what other recruits from the top of Rivals' list can I play with?", reminding me of LeBron's decision to go to Miami. I'm sure I'm just getting old, but I liked it when a recruit (or any player) was his own person. They chose a school based on what that school had to offer, not based on how many of his AAU friends he can play with.

Ron Franklin 9 years, 5 months ago

thank 24 hour news cycles and societies demand for instant gratification for this

Ron Franklin 9 years, 5 months ago

kvskubball 9 years, 5 months ago

It is interesting to me that KU doesn't seem to get nearly as many 'real early' commitments...We've gotten a few, maybe on average one every other year... (when I say 'real early', I'm talking about Juniors or younger verballing) Royce verballed early and I believe we have a verbal from a 2012 big..

But so many other schools get early commitments and even multiple early commitments EVERY year. And I'm not just talking about UK....

So, what gives? Does Coach Self have a very different approach to what he tells prospects than other coaches? Is there a pervasive 'geography' issue? (meaning a lot of recruits think KU is in the middle of nowhere and thus unattractive?) Are other coaches more aggressive?

Come on KUsports staff...do some investigative reporting and give us some answers!

I'm not overly concerned because we have been loaded for the last couple of seasons, and Coach does a great job of recruiting, but as I've said before, he seems to have to work much harder, or at least wait for commits much more than at other programs that don't have our record of success!...but perception can become reality. If Coach Self doesn't have a different approach to how he recruits...then why don't we get as many early commits?

Enquiring minds want to know! (or at least I do anyway!)

Ron Franklin 9 years, 5 months ago

I wonder these same things....I think it's a combination of geography and recruiting styles. Kansas is a very hard state to convince people to come to. It's not as enticing as places like Florida, Texas, & California. Most of these states have well-known, populated cities and that is an attraction in, and of its self. I honestly think Lawrence is one of the greatast little cities in the country (and I've been to almost every metropolitan area in this country), but kids wont understand that until they've lived here a bit.

Finally, I tell myself that Bill Self is not a slimey recruiter who will tell a kid anything they want to here. As another poster mentioned above, kids are very impressionable, and usually have not developed good decision making skills (ie weighing pros and cons, forsight/insight-conseequences) so they just make a quick decision in a state of arousal. That is my opinion on what happened with J. Turner....I'm sure it was very easy for J. Turner to make that call in the midst of the excitement and attention he was getting. Also, his good friend Nick Johnson was already committed to UofA, so that familiarity made the decision easier ( I really really wanted Kansas to pick up Nick Johnson...he reminds me of D. Clemente with his hard-nosed, aggressive play).

So put a young, impressionable kid in a room with guy with a great pitch and it's all but over. Unfortunately, I bet Bill Self's pitch has too much truth to hook these kids in instantly. They don't want to hear "your going to have to work hard, play defense, and beat out some really good players to see the court." They want to hear that they are one guy the team needs to be complete, and get guaranteed PT. As is the case with J. Turner....he would not see the court if Selby, EJ, TT were still here in 2011.....but in UofA, he's guaranteed at least 25 minutes from day 1.

My two cents.

Dan Pawlowski 9 years, 5 months ago

Texas is enticing? Please. I spent a year there one week.

Ron Franklin 9 years, 5 months ago

I agree with your sentiments, but you cannot deny the fact Texas offers a lot more than Kansas.

And that was the point, not that I think Texas is a great place to live.

Dan Pawlowski 9 years, 5 months ago

If it is not a great place to live then why would anyone want to live there for at least a year? Austin is the only town worth living in 3/4 of the year. I would have to go somewhere cooler for the summer. Lawrence is an awesome town and KC is just down the road. If it were western Kansas that would be a different story.

steamboat 9 years, 5 months ago

It's hard to recruit these kids. Most of these kids don't know what they want for breakfast every day much less where they want to play. That's the reason for so many decommits every year.Then we have trash like Calipari out there so I guess we just hold our breath and wait .

dynamitehawk 9 years, 5 months ago

LJW:

Two things.

1.) This article should have referenced the word tap. Or is tap only used in reference to KU???

2.) You guys should start listing stats on articles. like the Denver Post does (example below). This would not only be beneficial to numbers weirdos like me, but also to judge what we read. Perhaps you already to this internally, but it's a nice touch.

This article is the:

1 most-clicked article of the hour

2nd most-clicked article of the day 9th most-clicked article among Colorado readers of the day

1 most-clicked article among Colorado readers of the hour

1 most-clicked article among readers outside Colorado of the day

1 most-clicked article among readers outside Colorado of the hour

11th most-clicked article among Denver readers

jaybate 9 years, 5 months ago

Tap this post for the Posting Hall of Fame aka PHOF.

jaybate 9 years, 5 months ago

"Equal Signs"

Turner: "I bonded with everyone." = I didn't want to play defense.

Nash: "OSU might have a slight edge." = I'm starting not to want to play defense.