Wednesday, September 15, 2010

New territory: Gill gets chance to see how KU responds after first win

Kansas receivers Bradley McDougald (24) and Daymond Patterson (15) celebrate McDougald’s first-quarter touchdown against Georgia Tech on Saturday at Memorial Stadium. The Jayhawks say they are done celebrating and are now focused on Southern Miss.

Last week, Kansas University football coach Turner Gill learned a lot about the way his team responds to a tough loss.

Jayhawks kept Tech offense at bay

KU kept Georgia Tech at more than 80 yards less than average rushing.

This week, Gill has turned an even more critical eye to watching how his team moves forward from its emotional, 28-25 victory against No. 15 Georgia Tech.

So far, the verdict has been favorable.

“When you lose, you do have that sour feeling in your stomach and, when you win, we felt good for a little bit, but it’s still not the same,” junior linebacker Steven Johnson said. “I still woke up this morning like, ‘Oh, man, we have to win this week.’ If we lose, it would just be terrible, and I don’t want that feeling again.”

Johnson’s not alone.

Though most of his teammates still were smiling Tuesday about their surprising victory against the Yellow Jackets, many pointed out that the grins were a sign of confidence and excitement about what’s ahead, not a product of celebrating their victory for too long.

“Me personally, as soon as we had the win, Sunday it was out of my mind,” safety Lubbock Smith said. “I was watching film on Southern Miss, and I wasn’t worried about Georgia Tech anymore because that was the past.”

Gill said Tuesday he thought his team was more relaxed both in practice and on gameday last week. That resulted in taking the field with a loose team that played with passion and a nothing-to-lose attitude against Tech. Gill said he hoped his guys held on to that notion this week as long as they were able to turn it up a notch when the ball was kicked off at 7 p.m. Friday at Southern Miss.

“We have to play with tenacity,” Gill said. “Our guys have to play with the same type of execution, passion and confidence that we played with last week.”

This week’s contest may provide KU’s biggest test to date. For starters, it’s on the road, where many of KU’s starters have yet to play a meaningful snap. In addition, the Jayhawks won’t have the benefit of having the embarrassment and anger from the season opener fresh in their memories. However, despite now having a marquee victory under their belts, many Jayhawks insist that they have not forgotten about what took place during the opening week.

“We’ve had to stay humble, but it’s not hard to stay humble after that Week 1 loss,” quarterback Jordan Webb said. “We’ve been on both sides, the really high and the really low, and we don’t want to be on that roller coaster ride because that’s just a rough way to begin a year.”

Added junior wide receiver Daymond Patterson: “We’re not trying to listen to everybody tellin’ us, ‘You all are good now.’ Just like in the first week when everybody told us how bad we were. We’re going about it with the same approach. Go in there to watch film, prepare, work on technique and go out there ready to play. Because when you’re not, you see you can lose to anybody, and, when you are, you can beat anybody.”

Gill said his coaching staff changed its approach slightly after the season-opening loss to North Dakota State in an attempt to bring more energy and urgency to the team. Clearly, the change worked and, from the sound of things, it doesn’t appear that they’ll be going back to the old way any time soon.

“Monday’s practice was a bit rough,” Johnson said. “I’m pretty sure they’re trying to make sure we don’t get complacent.”

Comments

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 11 months ago

"Oh, man, we have to win this week. If we lose, it would just be terrible, and I don't that feeling again." By Steven Johnson

Hell yes, that's the attitude I'm talking about! BTW, Mr. Johnson, I don't want that feeling of losing either.

Response to Daymond Patterson's quote: We're not trying to listen to everybody tellin' us, 'You all good now.' Just like in the first week when everybody told us how bad we were."

-----Anyone who said you were bad, Daymond, should be sent off in a broken down bus to Columbia, Missouri! I think (and I am speaking for a lot of the Jayhawk Nation), I was disappointed in your overall team's performance. You are definitely good----look what happened to Georgia Tech! Best of luck at Southern Mississippi--Rock Chalk Jayhawk, on the road!

Rivethead 3 years, 11 months ago

This season is going to be a wild ride. Buckle up!

KGphoto 3 years, 11 months ago

Off topic, but still pertinent to the article, because I have to read it here. Lately the advertising has been so much better. Gone are the spastic, flashing seizure starters. Also gone, the casino crud, the hooters girls and electric cigarettes.

Just sayin', whoever is responsible (Castanza?), thanks. I know you usually only hear negative comments about the subject. I know I've complained. It's a small thing but it's so much nicer not to have to see those ads, even in the periphery. Especially those seizure squares.

Oh yeah. Give 'em hell Hawks!

jayhawkboogeyman 3 years, 11 months ago

AdBlock Plus on Firefox... I don't see anything but the article and a couple empty grey boxes.

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 11 months ago

KG----Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha! I agree with you on the ads.

Ryan Shelton 3 years, 11 months ago

Daymond Patterson is smart. I couldn't agree more with what he said.

Randy Bombardier 3 years, 11 months ago

I am going to thoroughly enjoy this new tenacious defense in particular. A tenacious O-line will look pretty good too. I expect us to play very, very tough. And I was so encouraged to see how our D adjusted and made stops. We have not seen that within a game for some time. Also looking forward to some great returns in special teams. Is Patterson doing those duties?

JayhawkBigXII 3 years, 11 months ago

Anyone else notice that GT dropped from #15 down to about #50 in the polls? Doesn't that seem a bit severe? KU must be the proverbial hot potato.

Blake Post 3 years, 11 months ago

all acc takes a dive. Here is something very amusing. I looked on a wildcat site and one crybaby was lamenting that ksu should be the only BCS team in Kansas, like Missouri. First, we have beaten them like a drum. Look at the record. They had a good run with Snyder, no doubt, but whether this is the second coming is doubtful. 2nd, wouldn't make a difference. All teams in the conference are BCS. If they want to be a solo BCS team, move out, like TCU. 3. It is just really stupid. There aren't enough Kansas recruits anyway, and outside of the State you must go. I tried to respond on that site, but was not approved right away so closed it. I sure hope we smite them mightily and smack them down, craven infidels that they are. Watch for tricks and game adjustments. Snyder is tricky and sneaky. He will also use any play anyone used against us before that works. Watch for that.

Ben Kliewer 3 years, 11 months ago

K-State the only BCS team in Kansas? That doesn't make any sense. I'm a hawk fan through and through, but my best friends went to KSU and are huge Cat fans, and I know they would never say that. This must be a radical sect of K-State-ism. State fans love the rivalry with Kansas...you know why? Because we're they're biggest rival! Oh sure, they'll say OU or Nebraska or something, but OU and Nebraska don't care about K-State. We're the only ones who even care about a rivalry with K-State, and they're a far, far second to Mizzou anyway. Why would K-State fans want to get rid of their only real rival?

rockchalkin54 3 years, 11 months ago

I thought they were trying to make a rivalry with Iowa State now?

Mike Payne 3 years, 11 months ago

This will get you pumped about football... Rock Chalk

100 3 years, 11 months ago

That was better than any NFL films production I've ever seen. Great for recruits too.

Love the spirit of the team, the belief, the speeches & the rock chalk chant!

Would live to see Coach Self's teams get riled up for the games this way & celebrate with the chant.

Really bonds the players to the cause.

What a class act.

Bring in those recruits Coach Gill!

troutsee 3 years, 11 months ago

Wonderful video mjrpayne. Thanks for posting it. And you are right, it does get one pumped up.

gardenjay 3 years, 11 months ago

Ditto - videographers are filming just about everything these days, great for fans.

Trailshooter 3 years, 11 months ago

Awesome video! It's great to have the inside look, especially to see how Coach Gill interacts and communicates to the team. Very well done.

Trailshooter 3 years, 11 months ago

I just watched this again... that half time coverage is sweet! Love seeing how Turner leads the team into the swagger... RCJH!