Sunday, September 12, 2010

Georgia Tech calls KU’s play ‘inspired’

Kansas starting quarterback Jordan Webb warms up before kickoff against Georgia Tech, Saturday, Sept. 11, 2010 at Kivisto Field.

Highlights: KU vs. Georgia Tech

Kansas took down a ranked Georgia Tech team, 28-25, Saturday, September 11, 2010.

Videos

Turner Gill postgame: Georgia Tech

video thumbnail

Kansas head coach Turner Gill addressed the media after defeating Georgia Tech Saturday, September 11, 2010.

Feature

KU shocks No. 15 Georgia Tech, 28-25

Kansas' defense came up with a fourth-down stand in the final minute, helping the Jayhawks to a 28-25 victory over No. 15 Georgia Tech on Saturday at Memorial Stadium.

Georgia Tech quarterback Joshua Nesbitt knew from the opening snap that his No. 15-ranked Yellow Jackets were in for a battle Saturday at Memorial Stadium.

“They were mad,” the Heisman Trophy hopeful said of the Jayhawks, who, stinging from last week’s season-opening loss to North Dakota State, stunned the visitors from the Atlantic Coast Conference, 28-25.

“You could tell they came out mad from losing their last game, and they came out hungry,” added senior option-QB Nesbitt, who rushed for just 33 yards off 15 net carries, including touchdown runs of nine and four yards.

Nesbitt also threw for a 40-yard score to sophomore Stephen Hill on a day he connected on five of 15 passes for 116 yards.

“We didn’t get the option game going,” Nesbitt said, citing a tangible reason for the crushing defeat. “They (KU defenders) were being blocked and getting to the ball.”

Senior center Sean Bedford also cited fire in the Jayhawks’ eyes as a major factor in KU’s defeating a program that has reached a bowl game 13 years in a row.

“That’s as inspired a team as I’ve seen in my five years here now,” he said. “We knew coming in this was a team that didn’t play up to what they are capable of last week and would be fired up and ready to go, and if we gave them an inch they’d take a mile, and that’s what happened today.”

Of course, emotion goes both ways. The Yellow Jackets (1-1) don’t believe they matched the Jayhawks’ intensity.

“I’ve got to do a better job getting our guys ready to play. Clearly they think it’s a walk in the park sometimes,” said third-year Georgia Tech coach Paul Johnson, whose team entered 10-1 in games decided by five points or less, including a streak of nine victories in a row.

“I thought their kids played hard. They made some plays, and we didn’t make any plays. No. 15 (Daymond Patterson, seven catches, 85 yards, TD) made some unbelievable plays.

“There were a lot of missed tackles,” Johnson added. “We didn’t have a lot of guys getting off blocks, but we should have scored more than 28 anyway. Nobody played good enough to win (on Tech’s side).”

Senior running back Anthony Allen (11 carries, 89 yards) said the Yellow Jackets, “came out flat. We weren’t as hyped. We weren’t as ready as we were supposed to be.”

That’s puzzling, because in his words: “We knew their backs were against the wall, and they were going to come out fighting. That’s what they did. All the players at Kansas gave us a good game, but we beat ourselves this week.”

Georgia Tech, which trailed, 28-17, with 14:19 left, scored a touchdown and two–point conversion at 7:48 and in the final minutes faced a fourth-and-three from the KU 35.

A false start made it fourth-and-eight at the 40.

“I guess we were a little excited, but on that last play, it was all me,” Nesbitt said.

He blamed himself for failing to connect with Hill on a fourth-down pass play with one minute remaining, Tech’s final offensive play of the game.

“It was just a miss by me,” Nesbitt said.

Tech gained 407 yards to KU’s 320. The Jayhawks passed for 179 yards while rushing for 141.

“That they could rush? Yes, a little bit, but they ran the ball well,” coach Johnson said, asked if he was surprised by KU’s productive ground game.

Freshman James Sims had 101 yards off 17 carries and a TD. “It was mostly draws. They did a good job protecting the quarterback. We didn’t get much pressure on the passer,” Johnson said.

“You’ve got to give Kansas credit. They played hard. I’m not going to take anything away from them.”

Comments

Scott Lippoldt 9 years, 6 months ago

I read all the negative posts last week...Fire Gill! The Hawks won't win a single game this year! Nice guys finish last! Bring back Mangino! etc., etc., etc. That after a single game with a brand-new coach, completely different coordinators, a whole new system, and last year's team that was supposed to be the most talented ever at KU and managed lost its last 7 games. ((Great coaching and motivational tactics, huh?!)

Yes, we still will lose some games this year, and next year, and the next... But I, for one, am proud to have Turner Gill and his staff at KU and would never, ever want to go back to the coaching "style" of Mr. Mangino. I am an educator, and I firmly believe that young people of all ages will perform their best when motivated through positive means rather than bullying and belittlling tactics. I also highly respect and admire Gill's no swearing and no drug policy--just think what our world would be like if all institutions, companies, etc., adhered to such high morals.

I will remain a Jayhawk supporter through thick and thin. I am glad that a few posters already have come on to say they were wrong and are willing to give this team and coach a second chance. I encourage all of you who were bashing the Jayhawks in the previous weeks to get on board and to post an apology. You do realize that the players and possibly the coaches do read these comments? And for those of you who are too stubborn (ignorant?) to admit you were wrong, GROW UP!!!

RCJH!!!!!

truefan 9 years, 6 months ago

After seeing your holier-than-thou posts on nearly every article today I decided to read your posts from last week to see if you were truly the white knight of optimism that you are proclaiming yourself to be today.

To no surprise to me at all, you didn't make a single post last week defending this team. Sure, you read the comments, but where were your optimistic and clear headed posts to come to the rescue when the team needed you? Wow, what a brave soul you are coming to the team's defense AFTER they pull off a shocking upset that no one predicted, including myself. You're just as bad as any of the posters who called for Gill's head last week, don't fool yourself.

jayhawkintx73 9 years, 6 months ago

I really wonder where you were in 1987. I don't know how old you are, but I doubt seriously you know what thick or thin is.

Scott Lippoldt 9 years, 6 months ago

Does anybody else notice that after last week's loss there were hundreds of posts, but now that we win against a team that was ranked 15th and has been to a bowl game 13 straight years, there are just a handful of comments? Are you all truly that negative of people, hoping that our Jayhawk football team will fail like we always have in the past? This board should be absolutely loaded with excited, jubilant posts--that was a great game for our football program yesterday! C'mon, people!!!!

Scott Lippoldt 9 years, 6 months ago

You all do realize that with our former coach we had exactly one great year, a couple of decent years, and many poor years? What was our overall conference record and our record against top 20 teams during the Mangino era? BTW: that one good year was due to the schedule--if we had to play Texas and Oklahoma and if we ended up playing in the Big 12 title game we would have lost 3 games and not been in the Orange Bowl--and we were lucky to have been selected for that game to begin with. We also played the weakest possible opponent in a BCS game.

I'm not saying I wasn't thrilled, excited, and proud about that year--but let's be honest about what really happened. Then the next year, with more talent than ever, we lose our last 7 games?!?!

Give Gill and company a chance. He already has more and better recruits lined up for next year than Mangino ever did. While we really weren't that good before, I truly believe we have the opportunity to have the best run of football in the next few years that KU has ever seen. Who knows, maybe we can become a basketball AND football school. I doubt it, but I sure am willing to be optimistic.

Nick Cole 9 years, 6 months ago

skwahjayog says: "Who knows, maybe we can become a basketball AND football school. I doubt it, but I sure am willing to be optimistic."

FYI, this makes no sense. Saying you doubt something is going to happen then saying you are willing to be optimistic about that same thing happening is a contradiction. Either you want to be optimistic and think it can/will happen or you are going to be a negative nancy and doubt it will happen.

Also, the year after we won the Orange Bowl was not the year we lost 7 straight. It was two years after the Orange Bowl. Also, VT was ranked #3 in the country when we played them in the Orange Bowl. What is your justification for them being the weakest BSC opponent we could have faced? Just curious.

Now, continue on being an negatively optimistic Jayhawk fan.

Kenneth Hillman 9 years, 6 months ago

Give it a rest dude. You're tripping over your own two feet now.

I am sure EVERYBODY is excited about our win against Tech. Quit trying to call everybody negative while YOU are being negative. Losing to NDSU was an embarrassment and everybody should have been on here expressing their disappointment. If they weren't, they don't care about our team. After a loss like that comes negative feedback, after a win like this comes positive feedback.

Great job coach Gill and the entire Jayhawk Football Team.

OhioHawkfan 9 years, 6 months ago

Are you going to post the same 4 messages on every article this week?

John Mueller 9 years, 6 months ago

"I doubt it, but I sure am willing to be optimistic"

that's funny stuff.

go take your meds gran torino

Scott Lippoldt 9 years, 6 months ago

My bad, springtxhawk. If I could edit, I would, but we don't have that option on the board. Oh well... I'm sorry that I can't be perfect like must be.

Scott Lippoldt 9 years, 6 months ago

Oops--I even made a mistake there! I meant to write, "I'm sorry that I can't be perfect like you must be." I guess I need to get back to my meds.

Rick Arnoldy 9 years, 6 months ago

Given how many times you copied and pasted the same posts, you didn't bother to proofread them once?

Steve Yeakel 9 years, 6 months ago

Senior center Sean Bedford “That’s as inspired a team as I’ve seen in my five years here now,” he said. Great job by the coaches and players, what an inspirational turnaround. All eyes are on you and your faith Coach Gill, do not shy away from that, neither did Joseph or Daniel or Peter or John, keep your faith in Him and allow Him to guide your every step. Your are right that it can be hard to handle prosperity, do not stop to teach them about that part of life and football as well. We are blessed to have you in this job, live your faith in a humble way and help the Good Lord grow His Kingdom in this part of His universe. There are fans and sportswriters as well as players who are being exposed to what a strong faith in Christ can do.

CatsEatBirds 9 years, 6 months ago

steveyea you're starting to sound like those Priests who caused their parishes to write big settlement checks to the families of the little boys they enjoyed. Stay away from the boys on the sports team.

Dirk Andrews 9 years, 6 months ago

This game was awesome! The WHOLE team played great. I am very impressed by Sims and his runs, how great was that? The combo of McDougal and Patterson looked great. And the D...anyone who has played football against an option running team knows how confusing defending this offense can be. We did great today with great tackling. This victory made my whole weekend...let's keep it going!

Nick Cole 9 years, 6 months ago

My guess as to why there aren't as many positive comments on here would be that everyone had such a great time last night and they are still in bed (or in jail, haha). I live in Tampa and have a lot of great KU friends down here and I know we hit the town and had a blast. So, here is my delayed positive comment:

Last week, I was in shock. I could not believe a team could look so unprepared and fired up for their first game with a chance for a fresh start. I was appalled at the lack of enthusiasm the team and coaches showed during that game. I am one who overreacted a bit. I didn't want Gill fired, but I did want a new AD who would be willing to pull the plug if he didn't preform. But enough about last week.

This week, I am filled with joy (as should everyone be) because this is a huge confidence booster for the kids and coaches and fans. We looked hungry and excited and physical. That is how you are supposed to play. Had we played this way last week (last thing about last week, I promise), we would have won without question. Did GT give us some opportunities to win this game, yes, but we also gave them some chances to win so this whole nonsense about GT beating themselves this week is silly. We made the plays at the times of the game when we needed to make plays. Therefore we came out the victor. Sure we'll lose some more games this year, it's football, but if we play with that kind of intensity and passion every game, I think the fans will be more willing to give Gill and staff a chance for another season or two or three to turn this program around. I hope we can bring the same type of game we played down so SoMiss on Friday, they're tough. I can't wait to head to Hattricks in downtown Tampa to see this one play out. If anyone else is in the Tampa area, head to Hattricks for KU games. We want to establish a strong Kansas presence at this place. The management is wonderful (the first game didn't come with the KU package he purchased but he ordered it anyway so we didn't have to go somewhere else and miss kickoff), the food is good, the drinks are cold, and there are always KU fans there. What more can you ask for?

Congrats Jayhawks on a nice win. Rock Chalk.

P.S. lets stay off the field next time please.

(sorry so long)

cre017 9 years, 6 months ago

Amazing game yesterday. I have not seen that kind of speed, toughness, and nose to the football in several years. KU played inspired football yesterday and I hope it is here to stay. Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

swunruh 9 years, 6 months ago

If this Jayhawk team can play with the same fire the rest of the season, they can indeed win 6 or more games! Congrats to coach Gill and his staff. Super job.

kranny 9 years, 6 months ago

I'll admit that I was very pessimistic after last week. I thought our line play was horrible last week. But a couple of aspects stood out yesterday. First, Kudos to Torbush. I think we have a good defense with a lot more athleticism and speed than I originally thought. Our linebackers are better than I thought and hope they stay healthy. Secondly, I thought Long had a good game plan by rolling Webb out to let him see the field, make some plays and give our line some confidence. I think Sims and Webb are gonna be good ones. Webb has a nice arm and seems to be cool under pressure. He has to learn pocket presence and feel defenders closing in on him and use his feet. He reminds me of Reesing a bit. I simply think that Opurum is still battling a bum ankle. I would like to see him back on offense though. I still remember him knocking defenders over when he came through the line. Quigley just doesn't have it at RB.

kujhwksAZ 9 years, 6 months ago

Fantastic post "BleedCandB", I agree.

Giving the fact that Gill and his staff had college head coaching experience (Mangino did not when started here) I expected a much better prepared team last week, in which they were not, I was extremely disappointed. This week was a different story. I am more upbeat today about our performance and not so interested in firing anyone. Last week was bad, this week was much better.

Great game Jayhawks, keep up the effort and stay hungry!!! Rock Shock applied to me as well.

JJHAWK 9 years, 6 months ago

Not sure coaching preparation is responsible for missed field goals, dropped passes, fumbles and bad decisions on throwing the ball. But for these I think the Hawks would have won the first game.

Having players as starters that under perform and need replacing before the next game, that is on the coaches. But the flip side of recognizing that a player didn't play well under pressure and switching players and positions around so that overall the team performed at an entirely different level - that's the coaches as well.

Go Hawks!

100 9 years, 6 months ago

Over the next couple of decades, there will be a ton of five star speedy players pouring into Lawrence.

This is reminicent of a young Fielding Yost. Or a young Bear Bryant.

Except the style is positive.

Gill has officially broken the mold.

Get ready for some recruits like we've never seen before coming to Rock Chalkville.

Great job yesterday Coach Gill, staff, playaaaas!!!! & fans!!!!

I was so proud to see the KU fanbase (at the stadium) yesterday finally "get it"...

We affect the product.

Fill the stands.

Go crazy with enthusiasm.

Stay the entire game.

Remove the track....

How great of a new movement has Gill started?

Remove the "speed" from the track & put it into the "field"...

In the end an ultra strong football team will only benefit an already decent university track team; it's just smart business in this day & age.

Remove the track coach Gill!!!

Speed wins championships!

Speed!!!!!!

100 9 years, 6 months ago

Remove the track...

Lower the field....

And you have a speedy snakepit.

waywardJay 9 years, 6 months ago

Insert beartraps under the turf on the Visitor's side, use explosive ACME balls on visitor's side, put springs on the bottom of their cleats so they will get stuck in the ground and bang there head repeatedly on the turf, and finally.....find a way to make a cliff on the visitor's sideline, so that after their players run off the field they can walk off the cliff, hang in the air for about 45 seconds, Pull signs out of nowhere that say OOOOOPSSSS, as they fall to the earth in a big puff of smoke.

Randy Bombardier 9 years, 6 months ago

I kinda agree on the track, but also like history. If we keep it long enough we might be the only major college school to have one around the field. It would add to historicity. But, yes, removing it would add greatly to the football experience and if the field were lowered add a great many seats. Any idea on that? How many seats it would add?

100 9 years, 6 months ago

I've always thought it would add about 10,000....

The best part is it could be all student seats (like Duke's feel for college hoops)....

The national TV look would be phenomenal, 2nd to none.

Many many many more five star speedy high school snakes all over the country would want to wage war & unleash stinging Hawkified-venom on the opposing Gardner snakes in the brand new Snake Pit for Coach Gill if he could get this project OK'd....

We already have a young Fielding Yost, an absolute diamond in the rough of college football...

Now we just need the stadium to match...

waywardJay 9 years, 6 months ago

There needs to be a particular trademark though, something that makes our stadium unique, and I'm not suggesting a 65 yard long Jayhawk. Boise's has their blue turf, ND has Touchdown Jesus, we have....... Sand endzones? a genetically spliced Blue Jay and Sparrow Hawk that flies around picking unsuspecting Tigger players, WIld boars that come out of trap doors at mid field ?, What will be our "symbol"? It used to be the Empty Hill and the CAmpanile in the background, but naw. People just sat on the hill for free. Maybe, just maybe it's a statue of Gale Sayers and John Riggins Guarding our Home entrace, and Dan stubblefield and GIlbert Browne as gargoyle's on the visitor's sidelines as reminding them of what is on the prowl.

Ed Brown 9 years, 6 months ago

What is up with Sayers and his foundation in Chicago? It doesn't look like something he would be tied to. I hope he is clean in all the dirt being dug up.

Dan Harris 9 years, 6 months ago

wayward- sand end zones,springed cleats,bluejay-sparrow hawk? Have you been mixing your meds again?(kidding)

Kenneth Hillman 9 years, 6 months ago

Yes, winning is the best feeling. I was going ballistic on Saturday.

The last posts have me fired up too, here's my go at it:

REMOVE THE TRACK!

LOWER THE FIELD!

MAKE THE "HAWKS NEST" A STADIUM A VISITING TEAM NEVER WANTS TO PLAY IN. DEFEND OUR NEST!!

I like the statue ideas as well. We have some players that have earned a statue.

100 9 years, 6 months ago

Make the lower portion of the Hawks "nest pit" (the new part that will be lowered), made out of fossilized dinosaurs, particularly , five star raptors & T-Rex hybrids, the ones who eventually evolved into the Jayhawk.

Bust out the sledgehammers & build us a rock chalk foundation Coach Gill!

Ed Brown 9 years, 6 months ago

Did anyone else see the GT coach thumping people on the chest, screaming at them, pushing the OL player when the bad snap happened? I hit the side of the TV once because I thought it was Mangino slimmed down by poor reception. It is so odd in these times to see a docile coach like HCTG and I can only imagine that he treats all players with respect and dignity on and off the field. Heck, even Roy went from meek and timid to throwing his sportcoat into the stands. He did about everything but throw chairs on the court when he got mad. I can see why Gill was picked. Our student-athletes deserve him.