Saturday, September 11, 2010

KU football receives commitment from Texas kicker

Kansas University’s football program on Thursday received an oral commitment from Class of 2011 place kicker Alex Mueller, a 5-foot-10, 155-pound senior from Grapevine (Texas) High.

Mueller, who was recruited primarily by KU special teams coordinator Aaron Stamn, is rated as the fifth-best kicker in the country by Chris Sailer, a kicking expert who hosts many kicking camps throughout the year.

Of Mueller, Sailer writes: “Alex is an outstanding kicker. He has a strong leg, gets great height, and is very accurate off the ground. He’s perhaps the best field goal kicker in the class of 2011. He’s solid on kickoffs. Alex is a fine young man with a great attitude and work ethic. He has all the tools to be a great college kicker and is a great performer under pressure.”

As a junior at Grapevine High, Mueller made nine of 12 field goals and connected on all 32 extra point attempts.

In the first game of his senior season, Mueller connected on field goals of 27 and 44 yards. The 27-yarder sent the game to overtime and the 44-yarder was the game-winner.

Mueller told Rivals.com that KU had always been his first choice. He also received interest from Kansas State, Baylor, Florida, Texas A&M; and Texas Tech. He informed KU coach Turner Gill and Stamn of his decision Thursday night.

“Coach Gill seemed real excited,” Mueller told Rivals. “I told him that Kansas was always my first choice. I told him I was excited to get the opportunity to go to Kansas.”

Georgia Tech injury update

Gill said Tuesday that red-shirt freshman defensive end Tyrone Sellers would be out three to four weeks because of a leg injury. Gill also said Tuesday that red-shirt freshman running back Deshaun Sands was questionable with a leg injury. Sands practiced throughout the week, though, and is expected to be a game-time decision.

Sophomore linebacker Toben Opurum suffered a sprained ankle late in the week and is unlikely to play.

As for Georgia Tech, Doug Roberson of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that Georgia Tech safety Cooper Taylor is “highly doubtful” for today’s game, according to coach Paul Johnson.

Taylor, a third-year sophomore and regular starter, missed the second half of last week’s 41-10 victory against South Carolina State because of heat-related issues. He did not practice this week.

Starting left guard Will Jackson, 6-3, 285, also did not practice this week because of a knee injury. Jackson, a red-shirt freshman, likely will be replaced by third-year sophomore Nick McRae, 6-3, 291.

Defensive end Emmanuel Dieke, 6-6, 264, is listed as doubtful, while A-back Chris Jackson, 6-1, 205, and wideout Jeremy Moore, 6-3, 180, have been declared out.

Comments

John Mueller 9 years, 8 months ago

LOL!

sometimes, you just gotta laugh!

I hear the top candidate for AD is a 53 year old, female who is a former Siamese twin, so we got this diversity thing totally surrounded.

John Mueller 9 years, 8 months ago

btw, I'm getting my hair cut at 11. really looking forward to getting home to watch the OU - FSU game afterwards. Those boys can play some football.

I have never been more demoralized about KU football. After 45 years, I think I might actually be done.

To think, it was only a few years ago that i was getting my picture taken with Gale Sayers at the Orange Bowl........truly unbelievable that we have sunk this low so fast.

I think I actually miss Bob Valescente.

John Mueller 9 years, 8 months ago

Uh, I'll take my CROW well done with 3 extra scoops of shut my mouth.

Congrats to Coach Gill for a HUGE win.

No idea how this team changed in a week, but it was a great win.

Congrats to the whole team.

Two observations: 1. Move Angus Quigley to linebacker cuz No. 29 is the running back. Of course, I don't know his name, but that's a nit pick for next week. 2. Webb did a really nice job, but for heavens sakes son, you hold onto the football way too long.

Time to go eat my dirty bird, no condiments. just Crow, straight up.

John Mueller 9 years, 8 months ago

wildfire,

gonna go back and turn it into a bowl cut, cuz i sort of feel like Curley right now from the Stooges.

RCJH!

grandpa 9 years, 8 months ago

I wish all of you negative jerks could read my posts of the past few days.

jayhawkintx73 9 years, 8 months ago

After being beaten by NDSU, I think those, including myself were in the right for laying it on this team. You don't say "good job", when they didn't do one. But for the win against Georgia Tech, that was a good job. That you refer to them as "jerk", makes you no better than what you accuse them of being.

FSUJHAWK 9 years, 8 months ago

To all the naysayers and bandwagoners:

One game, win or lose, does not define a man or a team. This staff can recruit and will recruit. This staff's system does work and will work. HCTG has said and continues to say that his goal is to build a successful program. He is certainly not trying to achieve a flash in the pan. Despite Lew's indiscretions, I must say he had an eye for talent and Tuner Gill is and knows talent. If the Jayhawk Nation has patience great things will happen during Turner Gill's tenure and when he leaves, because we all know he will if he can build a successful program at KU, he would have built a program that is respected and highly competitive- year in and year out. Let's have some patience and give the man the support he deserves.

RCJHGKU!!!

PS, booing your student athletes is not akin to being born on the other side of the border!

FSUJHAWK 9 years, 8 months ago

My bad...just a little hyped up right now...what I meant to say was...

"ps, booing your student athletes is AKIN to being born on the other side of the border!"

Randy Bombardier 9 years, 8 months ago

Hope we have the same fire for the next game. They should not be underrated. This will be a tough game.