Friday, September 10, 2010

Flyover planned before Saturday’s KU-Georgia Tech game

The Kansas Air National Guard is scheduled to perform a flyover at Memorial Stadium before Saturday’s Kansas University football game.

The flyover is scheduled to occur shortly before the 11 a.m. kickoff, when KU plays Georgia Tech.

It is part of a pre-game tribute to the heroes of Sept. 11, 2001. The Kansas Air National Guard 190th Air Refueling Wing will make the flyover in a KC-135 tanker.

No practice runs are scheduled.

Comments

Tony Bandle 9 years, 5 months ago

Maybe some offensive linemen can parachute down to the field??

jphog 9 years, 5 months ago

We should have had Fambrough parachute in last week. The look on Lew's face would have been priceless.

okjhok 9 years, 5 months ago

A 135? No offense to the tanker flyers (we don't kick ass without tanker gas), but surely we can do better than that. Where are all the KU alumni flyers out there? I know those get approved (at least on the AF side) all the time. Doesn't an eagle driver somewhere need some extra hours? Or maybe a super hornet? I'd even take a couple thunderbolts. A 135? Not very inspiring.

Omari Miller 9 years, 5 months ago

Agreed, okjhok. A flyover by a tanker is none too interesting. Until last year, KU alum Tyrone Douglas was flying opposing solo for the Thunderbirds. THAT would be nice.

boomrsoonr26 9 years, 5 months ago

I thought the Jayhawk wing of the KANG was appropriate. Boom lowered with the right altitude can still be pretty cool, but your right Boeing 707s are not impressive. Now if we could have flown our C-17 overhead @ low alti, that would have made you gush!

justinryman 9 years, 5 months ago

Plus the coaching staff will be wearing specially themed appearel by Adidas in memory of 9/11.

So will some other schools sponsered by Adidas.

Troy Abel 9 years, 5 months ago

Bite your tongue okjhok! Proud member of the 190th, and proud Jayhawk fan here. There are plenty of us KU fans and alumni working on and flying those beautiful 135's, and we will be damn proud to see that beautiful bird fly low over Memorial Stadium. It may not be fast and loud, but the fact that the people who make that plane fly are all Kansas make it the ultimate flyover for a Jayhawk game on 9/11!

RCJH!!!

okjhok 9 years, 5 months ago

You're probably right about that. I'm sure you understand where I'm coming from, though. Again, no offense to those associated with the 135. I was happy to have a space-A flight on one over to Hawaii and it was a wonderful ride.

Matt Bowers 9 years, 5 months ago

Coy, could you plan a flyover when GT is about to snap the ball? Since your a member and a KU fan!!! Thanks for the service and I am sure the flyover will be sweet.

Rock Chalk

truefan 9 years, 5 months ago

Agreed, and thank you for your service. Also, that 135 could look pretty damn impressive if the flyover is low enough. I don't know how low they are legally allowed to fly for a flyover, but those birds look pretty big when they fly over Topeka for touch and goes at Forbes.

Cody Stumma 9 years, 5 months ago

I'm expecting the flyover will be while the Marching Band is playing the National Anthem?

Jason Bailey 9 years, 5 months ago

Aren't you folks ever happy? It's better than we had last week for opening day (nothing). People are spending their time doing this, the govt is spending money flying the plane over the stadium -- you'd think people would be happy for anything at this point.

Sure, I'd love to see a Hornet or Eagle fly by but I'll take whatever we can get...in the air and on the field of play.

phogthedog 9 years, 5 months ago

Our son served in Iraq for 13 months. I think he would tell you that every soldier plays a valuable role. The flyover is to commemorate 9-11.....keep your focus properly aimed.

Jayhawk1116 9 years, 5 months ago

Maybe Lew could do a flyover in his private jet, or a local private pilot in his single engine Cessna. No offense to the 135 guys, but flyovers are supposed to be performed with bad-ass jets. No substitutes.

Jayhawk1116 9 years, 5 months ago

Don't send a school bus to a drag race.

55jayhawk 9 years, 5 months ago

I am a KU alum & own two Douglas A-4 Skyhawks that we use on Navy contracts. Two years ago I tried to bring one over from St Louis. I had a mechanical that cost me $9,000 to fix but not until the following week but did coord a Marine Corps flyover of 2 F-18's and skydivers. Don't be fooled yet by the 190th from Topeka in the KC-135, it will probably have a fighter tucked under the refuelling boom. Look guys, our Military is pressed for assets and we alums lucky enough to have a WWII or more current Aircraft would like to fly but it isexpensive. Without the mechanical problem the flight with my plane was going to cost me about $4,300 just for fuel and small maint fee that I have to cover. I know the KU ROTC folks and they will get what they can and it is usually very good. Go Hawks sorry I will be stuck in Texas this weekend.

55jayhawk 9 years, 5 months ago

Jayhawk1116 9 years, 5 months ago

Um, the firefighters and police officers who died trying to help people? I'm sure there are many others.

Jayhawk1116 9 years, 5 months ago

I won't dignify a second moronic question with an answer.

Matt Bowers 9 years, 5 months ago

WTF soobawls. Are you really questioning who the hero's are? Are you confused?

Dan Harris 9 years, 5 months ago

You've said some really stupid things in the past but congratulations because that comment takes the cake! You are a classless jacka@@!

OCJHAWK 9 years, 5 months ago

You probably hang with that tool that protests veterans funerals

Rick Arnoldy 9 years, 5 months ago

Maybe the coolest flyover I ever saw was a couple of KC-135s surrounded by about 10 Osprey. It looked in slow motion but that just meant I had more time to appreciate it.

Martin Rosenblum 9 years, 5 months ago

Hey military-hawks,

Why is there never a flyover that involves helos?

It would be awe-inspiring to have them appear from just beyond the end of the stadium and do a lap circling the area.

boomrsoonr26 9 years, 5 months ago

You need to attend more games bub, I can remember at least 4 games with Rescue helicopter flyovers.

Ryan Mullen 9 years, 5 months ago

Please say they are going to drop bombs on this team.

kualuminohio 9 years, 5 months ago

I have a great memory of going up in a KC-135 (Kansas Air National Guard 190th Air Refueling Wing) as a kid (Civil Air Patrol). We refueled 2 F-4 Phantoms, a great experience... Also saw 2 Phantoms at a bombing range, that was really cool. Support our football team and support the Kansas Air National Guard 190th Air Refueling Wing.

GTALUM 9 years, 5 months ago

I'm actually a Georgia Tech alumnus who has been living in the Kansas City area for the past 5 years and happened on this blog. I was at the KU-GT game. First I want to congratulate you KU guys on a great game. I think you have a good coach in Turner Gill. He made the team changes that were needed to get a winning team. So, Rock Chalk Jayhawk. I hope the rest of your season goes as well.

Second, thank you to the pilots of the Kansas Air National Guard 190th Air Refueling Wing. That flyover before the game was awesome. The flight went right over the section with the Georgia Tech fans. It was so low I think we could have waved to the crew. In fact the whole pregame and half time tribute to the 911 heroes and victims was great. I am a friend of a family in Kansas City who's son has just started as a freshman at KU. He plays in the band, as I did when I was at Georgia Tech. I've sent him a congratulations email saying how much I liked the shows and the band, and even the game although my team didn't win.