Friday, September 10, 2010

Ben McLemore to attend Late Night

St. Louis prep players, from right, Ben McLemore, Bradley Beal and Roosevelt Jones laugh during the second half of a game Saturday, May 1, 2010, at the Coffin Complex at Haskell. McLemore is attending Late Night at KU.

Ben McLemore, a 6-foot-5 senior guard from Oak Hill Academy in Mouth of Wilson, Va., will attend Kansas University’s Late Night in the Phog on Oct. 15 as part of his official recruiting visit.

McLemore accepted an invitation to attend Late Night during an in-home visit from KU coach Bill Self on Thursday.

“Coach Self just wanted to let me know how bad he wants me at Kansas and how I’d be a good fit at Kansas. Coach Self really wants me to play for him at Kansas, and he asked me to visit during Late Night,” McLemore told Rivals.com.

The No. 17-ranked player in the 2011 class has said KU, Missouri and Tennessee are his primary schools at this time.

“Those are the schools I’m really focused on,” McLemore said.

Other seniors to attend Late Night: Josiah Turner, 6-3 from Sacramento, Calif.; Angelo Chol, 6-8 from San Diego and LeBryan Nash, 6-7 from Dallas.

Comments

duanep5ku 9 years, 5 months ago

I would be happy if Ben comes to Kansas with Josiah Turner, who is currently the 2nd best point guard in the class,according to Rivals. Ben is listed as the 4th best shooting guard in the class. So that would be a nice combo get for Bill Self. Lebryan Nash,who is currently ranked as the number two ranked player at the small forward position from the 2011 class. I certainly would like to see all three players choose KU, and that would be a pretty good class. Does any KU fan on here have other players that they would like to come to KU, in case we do not get Ben,Joshia or Lebryan.

TornadoBear 9 years, 5 months ago

I'd love to see Marcus Paige, but Roy Williams made a visit to his high school last Monday. Now it's a coin flip between KU and UNC.

KUDUDE 9 years, 5 months ago

BEN HAS US UP THERE HIGH AND KU IS IN REAL GOOD WITH BEN

Dee Shaw 9 years, 5 months ago

Work your magic Coaching Staff. The only thing I ask is do it legally. Seems like lately at KU anything that goes on in the back of my mind I am waiting for a headline the next few weeks with some sort of scandal. I realize that is negative thinking. Hard to get some thoughts out of my head. Football team vs B-Ball team fight, the Selby issues and the Lew ordeal. I could go on.

ibleedku 9 years, 5 months ago

NCAA is investigating Selby on the basis of his amateur status. His family is close friends with the business manager of Carmelo Anthony, and he served as an advisor to Josh when he was going through the recruiting process. At one point also, ESPN reported that Selby had not even been cleared academically by the NCAA. But apparently that was false, because he's supposedly attending classes now, just not cleared to play yet.

KEITHMILES05 9 years, 5 months ago

Now that Perkins is gone hopefully the department will be cleaner than ever before. He oversaw a very corrupt working group which brought shame to the university. For those left working in the trenches take heart and heed the old fart is gone and there is a new day and new dawning. Never, ever give up believing and living your principles for a law breaker and unprofessional boss. No doubt the former AD was intimidating in his personality and nature and a huge bully. I sure do hope there aren't other skeltons in the closet of illegal nature and coaches will have a clear conscience to do perform their jobs in the best of light. Having to answer to a corrupt boss had to be disheartening.

KU_FanSince75 9 years, 5 months ago

Good news about Ben. Hope he tells the Tiggers to take a flying hike!

kwahyajjj 9 years, 5 months ago

Yes, the old fart is gone. And gone are the seats my parents sat in for 30 years in both football and basketball.

ibleedku 9 years, 5 months ago

jhawkrulz.... for us to be a fanbase, you'd think there would be some unity between us...comradery. However, some of you make some really classless comments to fellow fans. I'd understand if kwahyajjj was some ass from KSU, MU, Nebraska, or any other rival school...talk smack all day. But he's not. I'm willing to bet my year's salary that if your parents or grandparents had held seats at Memorial or AFH for 30+ years and Lew came in and took them from your family, you'd probably have a problem with that.

kwahyajjj 9 years, 5 months ago

Thanks ibleedku. jhawkrulz is an a$$. I have memories of my grandfather leading me by the hand to our seats and watching Bobby Douglass. It was something that had a dramatic effect on me. My parents then sat there until Lew came and they couldn't afford the tickets. I have so many wonderful memories of Jayhawk games. Watching the Jayhawk classics in basketball. Sneaking into the locker room because I was so little no one saw me in the throng of reporters. I later graduated from KU as did my 3 brothers and sisters. Having these memories made me want to go to school there. That is something that jayhawrulz does not understand.

ibleedku 9 years, 5 months ago

Good memories kwahyajjj. I hope my son and I can share some of the same memories you shared with your family. It's just sad that if you happen to share a difference of opinion with someone else, you're immediately attacked. I've seen some very malicious and downright hateful comments made on here to fellow jayhawks. It's absurd. People wonder why were so divided as a country. Look at how we treat people.

Danny Hernandez 9 years, 5 months ago

At every other college institution, the better seats go to those that are willing to pay more, not just live on the fact, they've held them for years....I say, pay more or lose that privlege..........That privlege costs your parents no more money than those paying for lesser seats.

New Day buddy and I'm glad Lew had the cajones to put that policy into place...long time coming in fact.

kwahyajjj 9 years, 5 months ago

Wrong again. My parents were members of the Williams Fund and paid and large sum of money for those tickets. Couldn't afford corporate rates though.

Did you bother to calculate the fact that 5 people in my immediate family went to school there? What is the revenue generated from that. Think long-term. Mr. short-term is gone.

Andrew Moore 9 years, 5 months ago

Austin Rivers would be a coup. We have a chance, but not a good one. He said he'd take an official visit here but we'll see. Paul Pierce told him to at least visit Kansas. Hope and pray! He's really really good

Mikael Hopkins and Norvel Pelle are two prospects that are still on the radar. I want McLemore, Turner and a Big. Either Chol, Hopkins or Pelle. All three seem similarly raw offensively and all three stand about 6 8

Scott Smetana 9 years, 5 months ago

Mizzery and Tennessee?? Can you you say Easy Win?

Jaminrawk 9 years, 5 months ago

So who is coming to Late Night so far? It seems like the list is: McLemore, Chol, Turner, Nash ...

Chris Nieto 9 years, 5 months ago

Nino Jackson, Zach Peters, Marcus Paige are certain. Winston Shepard is probable while Norvel Pelle, Kaleb Tarczewski, L.J. Rose and Archie Goodwin's are possibles

Joe Baker 9 years, 5 months ago

McLemore is all but committed to KU. He has pretty much committed and is going through the motions. Who would attend the other options? I'd say Tennessee has a legit shot, but McLemore really likes KU. McLemore and Selby's recruiting are similar in terms of language. Selby said much of the same thing but committed to KU in the end.

I really like our chances with Chol too.

Rivers is a long shot, but a shot.

I think Turner is closer to KU everyday too.

I'm not too big on Nash. I haven't heard much and don't know much about his recruiting info.
McLemore, Chol and Turner are three big grabs for Self!! Rivers would be a bonus.

Tony Bandle 9 years, 5 months ago

McClemore lists Missouri out of courtesy to his home state but has no intention of going there. Mom loves HCBS, period.

Angelo Chol is very tight with Danny. Sees him as his best chance to reach the next level. Book 'em, Danno!!

Josiah Turner has saved the best for last with KU being his last visit. Huge edge in recruiting when the recruit has already admitted he is high on a particular school.

Nino Jackson is ours for the taking.

Austin Rivers would put this recruiting class in the top five!!

Including Zack Peters for 2012, that's six schollies. We'll need one for Perry, that's seven.

Interesting since we only have four schollies for 2011 available [ 3 seniors and the leftover 2010] Someone is going to have to declare early....Josh, Marcus, Markieff, Tyshawn?

Tony Bandle 9 years, 5 months ago

Oh crap, what am I thinking!! Marcus, Markieff and Tyshawn will be graduating in 2012, so there's three more scholarships for 2012 right there!!

KGphoto 9 years, 5 months ago

I wouldn't go within 100 miles of that wildfire in Knoxville. It's so far out of control, the city built a new jail house just for Vols. The coach is a juiced-up meathead, carousing around, trying to feel up the cheerleaders and reporters. The football team is basically a retarded mob. You'd be lucky to survive rush week down there, let alone a whole season.

Mizzou isn't much better. Those pillars are crumbling fast. Besides they all have the same names. Blaine or Chase. Have you noticed that? And they get all bent out of shape when a non-Missourian says Missoura. Like it's some sort of birth right or that you're desecrating their holy land. It's just about million acres of dead weeds people. Please. (By the way, don't pay any attention to the few dorks on this site that constantly jabber about the difference between The University of Kansas and Kansas University. Most of us aren't that anal. In fact most of us are down-right hospitable.)

Come to Lawrence Ben, for the people. Stay for the education.

dynamitehawk 9 years, 5 months ago

Freaking awesome. Shoes are for fancy people in the city, anyways.

Martin Rosenblum 9 years, 5 months ago

Soap? They can't give athletes at Univ. of TN soap. The first thing they would do is to make a gun out of the bar like they do in prison. Then they would just get all doped up and go on more crime sprees!

AsadZ 9 years, 5 months ago

Keithmiles05, Perkins has done a lot of good for KU. he has been one of the best ADs at Kansas. Look at the programs, facilities, scholarships etc coming to KU during his tenure. I also know several student athletes at KU and they have nothing but very high praise for him.

kwahyajjj 9 years, 5 months ago

Dont' forget he single-handedly took us to the Orange Bowl!

kutravis 9 years, 5 months ago

Good God...Can we please STOP calling it "Kansas Univeristy"? The official name is...wait for it....."THE UNIVERSITY OF KANSAS". I mean you're paid journalist for god sake. How you can continually make the same stupid error over and over is beyond me? It's not like you write articles about the school once every 10 years, thus a pass would be granted on the occassional mistake of calling it Kansas University.

No, you write about it daily, you're given press releases with letterheads that read, "The University of Kasas" at each major sporting event the school holds and certainly you've seen a logo on a shirt or hat or a sticker on the back of a car that reads "The University of Kansas." I mean how many times have you (LJ World) ever seen "Kansas University" written anywhere (other than by your staff of course)? Please do all of us a favor and stop calling the school by the wrong name. There's no reason for such an idiotic mistake.

Priest Fontaine 9 years, 5 months ago

this being the case, just curious as to why we go by KU instead of UK? I think a ton of people with degrees from KU say it both ways.

KU_FanSince75 9 years, 5 months ago

Tis4---where do come up with this stuff? Very funny!!! Thanks for sharing!

Tim Shockley 9 years, 5 months ago

Would sure like to see Ben commit after visiting for Late Night

addlime 9 years, 5 months ago

Looks like he's down to two. Probably ain't goin' to Tenn now that Pearl can't recruit for a year.