Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Gary Bedore’s KU basketball notebook

Selby in class

Kansas University freshman basketball point guard Josh Selby attended his first classes of the semester Tuesday.

“Going to class. Putting my phone away time to focus,” Selby wrote for his 4,729 followers on Twitter.

“Done with class, that was an exciting class. Happy to be at KU,’’’ Selby reported on a later tweet.

As reported Sunday, the NCAA is allowing Selby to attend class while looking into his eligibility. He has not yet been cleared to play.

“I expected there could be a situation in which things could be looked at, absolutely, no question,” KU men’s basketball coach Bill Self said Tuesday after a media session to discuss athletic director Lew Perkins’ stepping down. “I didn’t anticipate it going into after school started. But also stop and look at what is going on across America. There have been numerous things on many different fronts that keep the NCAA’s plate very full.”

Self said he had no idea when the NCAA might make its final ruling on Selby’s eligibility.

Recruiting

Wichita Heights junior forward Perry Ellis made an unofficial visit to KU on Tuesday. Ellis’ AAU coach, Steve Young, told Rivals.com that Ellis spent time with KU players on campus, checked out the weight room and visited with the coaches. ... Mikael Hopkins, a 6-8 senior forward from DeMatha High in Hyattsville, Md., will make an official visit to KU on Sept. 24-25, Rivals.com reports. The country’s No. 79-rated player will also visit Miami (Fla.), Ohio State, Texas and West Virginia.

Comments

adamjhwkfan 11 years, 2 months ago

Good to see Josh is going to class. The NCAA did the right thing in at least letting him continue his education while this process is being dragged out.

jaybate 11 years, 2 months ago

~Gary, c'mon, I know basketball hasn't started yet, but this is a pittance of a story.

~Self is endlessly interesting. After the fact, he admits he signs guys that he expects will be investigated by the NCAA; then qualifies it with a but. He says he did not expect the investigations to stretch into the school year. The man plays take what they give us at everything.

~Where will the Lew Perkins exhibit go in the KU Hall?

BigBlue4KU 11 years, 2 months ago

Jaybate, you are so full of yourself. Definitely a master baiter.

jaybate 11 years, 2 months ago

Yours is an opinion I respect so much. :-)

Greg Lux 11 years, 2 months ago

What are they supposed to say? You can't go to school? That's up the the academic department standards I would think. The NCAA should only address eligibility via past history. Funny the School would accept that he is eligible for classes but the NCAA would NOT... OK NCAA Stupid ..

Scott Smetana 11 years, 2 months ago

Since football season is over, I'm ready to talk basketball.

Anyone besides me want to see Reed at 2? I know TT has more athleticism, but how about consistency and attitude? Just thinkin back to RussRob days.

Martin Shupert 11 years, 2 months ago

What in the hell? Here we go again! OMG!!! How can anyone make the comment that someone on this team has more athleticism than Reed? I know... I get it. He's white, right? This is getting stupid... really really stupid. The kid has a much higher vertical leap than anyone on the team. The kid also is faster than anyone else. He won his state's broad jump... that's a state competition there. He's the best outside shooter, which, btw, is the mark of a good athlete. What more does he have to do to qualify for this mythical "athleticism" club??? I'm so stupified by the assumption that Reed is not athletic. It boggles my mind.