Friday, September 3, 2010

Weather dampens pep rally crowd

Diners at Buffalo Wild Wings Bar and Grill, 1012 Mass., were treated to a live Hawk Talk radio show with Kansas University head football coach Turner Gill, right, and announcer Bob Davis on Thursday. The event was part of a pep rally in downtown Lawrence hosted by Kansas Athletics, the Lawrence Chamber of Commerce and Downtown Lawrence Inc.

Football pep rally rained out

Not many people showed up downtown for the KU football pep rally thanks in large part to poor weather. The Jayhawks open their season at home on Saturday.

The 1000 block of Massachusetts Street closed to traffic Thursday afternoon for what was supposed to be a large pep rally to celebrate the start of Kansas University’s football season.

Mother Nature had other plans.

“Unfortunately, the weather didn’t cooperate, but it was a fun event while the people were here,” said Jim Marchiony, associate athletics director.

Events were scheduled from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m., with inflatables, the KU marching band and cheerleaders all expected to pump up fans before the football home opener Saturday.

Shortly after 5 p.m., rain started pouring downtown. Those who filled the street ran to take cover under nearby awnings. The storm lasted less than an hour, but Marchiony announced to the dwindling crowd the pep rally would be significantly scaled back because of inclement weather.

John and Bette Sue Wachholz braved the elements to check out the pep rally.

“I just told him (her husband, John), I hope the game’s more exciting than the pep rally,” Bette Sue Wachholz said.

“I guess we have to let the weather run some things,” John Wachholz said.

Despite the rain, some fans stuck around. Many of them sat inside Buffalo Wild Wings Grill and Bar on Mass. Street to listen to football coach Turner Gill on his first Hawk Talk radio show, which was broadcast live from inside the restaurant.

“It went good, had a great crowd,” Gill said as he stepped out after the show. “I can see the excitement, feel the excitement. Everybody’s ready for football to start.”

He and four KU football players held a small pep rally for the crowd of fewer than 100 people.

“We don’t expect fans to come out and bear the weather. There are some people sticking around, and we appreciate that,” KU running back Angus Quigley said.

Quigley said fans can expect a great game on Saturday.

“It’s time to put on the pads against somebody else. We’ve been working hard, and it’s going to be fun,” he said. “We’re ready to rock and roll.”

The Jayhawks battle North Dakota State at 6 p.m. Saturday at Memorial Stadium.

The next pep rally in downtown Lawrence is set for Oct. 21, which is two days before KU’s homecoming game against Texas A&M.;

“We’re considering this a good dress rehearsal for the event we hope to have in October,” Marchiony said.

Comments

justinryman 10 years, 6 months ago

Wow I wish my life had less meaning so I could waste it looking up really stupid videos on youtube.....Then again when your mom dosent let you out of her basement........................

Daniel Rojas 10 years, 6 months ago

Damn.....I thought maybe you posted a video of ur funeral or un-timely death mulaza....o well, hopefully next time

KGphoto 10 years, 6 months ago

As you can plainly see from the photo above, mulaza is still kicking. And he's rocking the jean shorts.

JBurtin 10 years, 6 months ago

Weather wasn't a big issue for me yesterday. It was the fact that I worked until 6 then had the first compelling match ups of the year to watch. I've been chopping at the bit so bad to watch a real football game that given the choice between hearing another hour or two of coach-speak vs. seeing a couple of future opponents take the field I'm going to take the game every time.

Neither Iowa State nor Southern Miss looked all that spectacular BTW. Who knows what we'll look like, but both of those teams at least look beatable.

We'll just have to see how this young team responds.

Shelly Harshaw 10 years, 6 months ago

mulaza, Do you have one positive bone in your body? Obviously not!

JBurtin 10 years, 6 months ago

He's just your average troll with nothing better to do than try to rile people up for the attention.

Ignore him and he'll eventually find somebody else to annoy.

justinryman 10 years, 6 months ago

Read that this morning.

Sons, that is soooooo cool.

jayhawkintx73 10 years, 6 months ago

If it rains on game day are there only going to be 100 people there? If the fans want to build the program, RAIN OR SHINE!

Randy Bombardier 10 years, 6 months ago

Yeah, Jay, I am with you. If I lived within 30 miles of campus I'd be there. But, alas, I live 1500 miles away. Although, I have wondered if "pep" rallies are really necessary, if they are not in fact an obsolete thing this day and age. Believe me, if I was responsible it would not be a typical rally.

sevenyearhawk 10 years, 6 months ago

Maybe it has nothing to do with the weather, but rather is related to the new coach.

I heard on the radio that there are still family packs available ... didn't they sell out last year AND they year before?

Thanks for nothing, Lew Perkins!!!!

JBurtin 10 years, 6 months ago

Like I said before, Mangino used to deflect all the fat jokes away from him. Just kiddin' seven. I'm a rather large mammal myself these days. Office work will do that to you.

Either Gill works out, or he's gone in 3 years. Either way, it's not the end of the world.

You may end up being completely right about Gill, but I for one am willing to give him a shot. No point in being all down in the dumps about something that may very well end up being a great move.

I still fully believe that if Tuberville had come in and shown any kind of success he would have been on his way back to the SEC ASAP. At least Gill is a Big 12 guy that might actually stick around and shows some great potential. I'd rather have a coach that wants to live here than a coach that will almost certainly use us as a stepping stone. We've been down that road before and it doesn't end well.

RockChalkGumbyHawk 10 years, 6 months ago

Anyone know if the game will be televised on DISH network? Is there a site that replays these games?

HawkInAL 10 years, 6 months ago

Tru dat = +1

Hey soobawls, still waiting on your pick for KU head football coach......