Saturday, October 30, 2010

Prep Ben McLemore visiting Mizzou

Kansas University made its official recruiting pitch to basketball high school blue-chipper Ben McLemore at the Oct. 15 Late Night in the Phog.

This weekend, Missouri takes it turn trying to impress the 6-foot-5, 185-pound senior shooting guard from Oak Hill Academy in Mouth of Wilson, Va.

Rivals.com’s No. 17-rated player is scheduled to arrive in Columbia for his second and final official college campus visit sometime today — the same day MU’s football team is on the road for a Big 12 North Division showdown against Nebraska.

“Ben has told me he would visit Kansas and Missouri, then sit down with his family and get in decision-mode. After this, it is going to be decision time,” Rivals.com analyst Shay Wildeboor said Friday.

McLemore — he averaged 28.3 points and 12.5 boards a game at St. Louis Eskridge High last season — has said he will sign a letter-of-intent with KU or MU during the Nov. 10-17 early signing period.

“Kansas rolled out the red carpet with the Late Night visit and 16,300 fans. Now he’s going to Missouri,” Wildeboor said. “He’s been to the Jayhawk Invitational (AAU tournament last spring), KU’s Elite Camp (last summer) and Late Night. Being from St. Louis, he’s been to Missouri several times. He basically knows all there is to know about each school and each program.”

McLemore recently eliminated Tennessee from his list of schools.

“Kansas and Missouri ... those two schools have been the constant. It’s down to the two Big 12 North schools,” Wildeboor said.

McLemore, by the way, scored 25 points in Thursday’s 100-60 rout of Bluefield (Va.) College’s junior varsity. Oak Hill’s roster also includes Sidiki Johnson (Arizona), Quinn Cook (Duke, UCLA, Villanova), Daniel Gomis (Oregon State), Damien Wilson (Auburn, Georgia, Tennessee) and A.J. Hammons (Indiana, Marquette, Ohio State).

The Bluefield Daily Telegraph reports that McLemore had “a crowd-pleasing dunk when he went over 7-footer Egor Shakhmetov.”

KU has received an oral commitment from No. 91-rated Naadir Tharpe, a 6-foot point guard from Brewster Academy in Wolfeboro, N.H., and is also in the running for No. 19-rated Norvel Pelle, 6-8 from Price High in Compton, Calif., and No. 76 Angelo Chol, 6-8 from San Diego’s Hoover High.

Rush nets huge payday: Brandon Rush hit the jackpot Friday when the Indiana Pacers chose to pick up the fourth-year option on the former KU guard/forward’s contract, worth $2.9 million. Had the option not been picked up, Rush would have become an unrestricted free agent next July 1.

Rush, who has averaged 8.8 points and 3.7 rebounds in 157 NBA games, is two games into a five-game suspension for violating the NBA’s substance-abuse policy. The suspension is costing him $115,000 in salary.

He will not be eligible to play until a Nov. 9 home game against Denver.

Indiana coach Jim O’Brien is upset that the Pacers are allowed to suit only 11 players a game in Rush’s absence.

“I understand them suspending the player and withholding his wages for five games,” O’Brien told the Indianapolis Star. “The nature of the situation is that we’re not informed a player has failed the drug test the first or second time, and we’re not told he has a problem. Then they turn around and penalize a franchise.

“I don’t understand where that comes from, frankly. If we were the ones drug testing and we were the ones that knew and were responsible to get him back on track after the first one, I understand that, but I can't follow this. There’s no way of sugarcoating it: This is a disadvantage, especially with our group.”

Rush, who has been practicing with the second team, recently told the Indy Star: “I should be fine as long as I come out and show I’ve been putting in the work and I’ve changed my lifestyle. Everything should work out fine if I do those things.”

Pastner likes KU: Memphis coach Josh Pastner on the Tigers’ matchup against KU at the Jimmy V. Classic on Dec. 7 in New York: “We’re excited,” Pastner told Zagsblog.com’s Adam Zagoria. “We have a lot of games before then. Coach Bill Self is one of the best coaches in the country at any level, pro, college or high school. The guy’s a future Hall of Famer, and their team is going to be really good. It’s always an honor to play a team and a coach like Kansas.

“Second, what an awesome privilege to be playing at Madison Square Garden, a privilege for anybody. Third, the opportunity to be a part of the Jimmy V Classic. There’s nothing more important than what it represents.”

Comments

Trey Hohman 4 years, 1 month ago

But if Mizzery wins, I fear "the Big Mac Attack" (terrible nickname) will get too caught up in some typical Midwestern, Rallying Cry-lost weekend Halloween seyaunce death-bride Bacchanalia extravaganza post-game party -- and thus attend that crap school...?

kerbyd 4 years, 1 month ago

Brandon, It should be WHEN I do those things, not IF.

Trey Hohman 4 years, 1 month ago

Ben is maybe a B. Rush clone, minus any of the patronizing drama?

KY_Cats1 4 years, 1 month ago

Absolutely outstanding news this week! It is looking very likely now that Coach Cal has worked his magic yet again and the talented Perry Ellis will be realizing his calling as a Wildcat in 2012.

Yet again proof that the nation's best can't help but come to Lexington once the Cats knock on their door. It doesn't matter in which backyard they may be.

Go Big Blue!!!

UK Wildcats The King of College Basketball

jaydee909 4 years, 1 month ago

Coach Cal is still at Kentucky? Man, I thought he had moved on.

Ron Franklin 4 years, 1 month ago

just stop responding to this jerk.

ignore all trolls.

Andy Hess 4 years, 1 month ago

typical Kensucky rumor spreading. this has already been roundly rejected by many sources, as well as by Ellis himself, as an outright lie. nice try though, troll.

Fruity22 4 years, 1 month ago

Where ya been KYCats haven't seen you since your last group of one and done punks got handled by WV and their alcoholic coach. Remember "can't be stopped, won't be stopped" When will coach Cal finally get that first final 4 appearance?

brooksmd 4 years, 1 month ago

Remind me again how you won the national championship with the recruiting class you had last year. What's that you say? You didn't? Why don't you review the 2008 championship game and see how Coach Sleaze got out coached.

Benjamin Piehler 4 years, 1 month ago

thanks for reminding us you were even still around this year... #11 huh... kinda underwhelming. also, is there ANY reason to believe that any deep tournament runs under Calipari WONT be vacated later? he has a perfect track record in vacated final fours...

anyway, thanks for reminding us you are still out there and thanks for patroning KUsports.com!!!!

Selbyville 4 years, 1 month ago

I'm trying to think of ways that would make you more pathetic, but I can't think of any.

Keep celebrating recruiting battles. We will keep celebrating titles.

Lone_salina_kufan 4 years, 1 month ago

I really want this kid to come to ku. I would be very disappointed if he chose mizzou.

ahpersecoachingexperience 4 years, 1 month ago

seeing how it was keegan that made the videos. . . meh, details!

ParisHawk 4 years, 1 month ago

Anthonyzal, if you insist on our choosing between Gary Bedore and you, my choice is made. If you try to get people to boycott Bedore's articles, I will write a program that gets him thousands of hits per hour. Despite whatever portion of human flaws may be his, he provides welcome tidbits about our team of basketball. Down of calm!

aerohawk 4 years, 1 month ago

I appreciate all of the staff, even if I don't like everything that gets written. Some of the posters, not so much.

As a guy who lives in the middle of no where, this site is basically my only source of news for KU basketball. I appreciate the work the staff puts in.

s6u6r6f 4 years, 1 month ago

Rock Chalk Jayhawk K.U.!!!

Censor me again and you'll get a phone call from my lawyer. Ha ha ha ha ha. This is the best!

Rock Chalk Jay Hawk KAY YOU!!! Ha ha ha. My lawyer's gonna call!!! Too funny.

Jesse Newell 4 years, 1 month ago

Just to clear it up for everyone, "Kansas University" is the official style for the Lawrence Journal-World. It is written that way in every article on our site.

aerohawk 4 years, 1 month ago

You should start keeping count of how many times you have posted this exact comment on the blog.

ahpersecoachingexperience 4 years, 1 month ago

is it to early to ask what tait is wearing? pink tie last week was very metro

ahpersecoachingexperience 4 years, 1 month ago

my guess is "university of kansas" is trademarked and you have to pay to use it in publications. like "threepeat"

DevilHawk 4 years, 1 month ago

The claim is that "Kansas University" is the AP style.

I'm not familiar with various style guides, so I can't confirm that it is an accurate statement.

However, it would explain why AP articles consistently refer to KU teams as "Kansas" rather than "University of Kansas."

If that is true, then it would seem that the LJWorld should change their style guides to reference merely "Kansas" instead of the full "Kansas University."

Of course, that wouldn't change the fact that the AP uses a style which is blatantly contrary to KU's own title...

RawkChawkJHawk 4 years, 1 month ago

Jesse,

I'm a supporter of newspapers in general and this newspaper in particular. But I have to ask, if it angers so many of your readers, and so many KU fans and alumni -- and it's INCORRECT -- why does the LJW insist on digging in its heels on this one?

Dan Pawlowski 4 years, 1 month ago

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I am an alumni and I don't give a rats .... what you call it. I know where I graduated from.

ahpersecoachingexperience 4 years, 1 month ago

alumni too and i love my kansas university. go hawkjays!

KEITHMILES05 4 years, 1 month ago

Ben and Perry Ellis will both be Jayhawks. Absolutely.

Robert Brock 4 years, 1 month ago

I have Ellis going to Memphis as part of the Xavier Henry trade;)

DarthJayhawk 4 years, 1 month ago

Anthonyzal, I am so glad your life is going well. It has to be if this is such a concern to you. This site is ran by a private business, and you don't have to come here and read the articles if you don't want to. The whining about this subject is way more annoying than anything else on this website.

DarthJayhawk 4 years, 1 month ago

ParisHawk 4 years, 1 month ago

...except the double posts of course ;)

dynamitehawk 4 years, 1 month ago

On certain levels I respect Kentucky basketball. History of winning. Ties to KU through coaches. What I can't understand is the fans. I have some family members in Kentucky, so I have witnessed some of the craziness. The fans might show up wearing clothes, cheering, and acting normal. But as an insider I have to let you in on a secret. In Kentucky it is considered 'normal' to wake up naked, find an animal to fornicate with, proceed to drink straight Kentucky burboun for the remainder of the day, only breaking to snort some Missouri meth. KY has her own blend to this routine where she posts on our site between wild rides with pigs or perhaps a donkey, meth, and booze.

Benjamin Piehler 4 years, 1 month ago

worst (most belligerent) fans in NCAA (in my experience):

Nebraska football, Kentucky basketball.

waywardJay 4 years, 1 month ago

Naw, Ralster. they've never won anything. Mizzou fans are just evil out of Spite.

NOW, Kentucky fans will through bigotry,and alcohol infused delusion spew hate whenever, wherever... jsut to get the focus off their current coaching investigation.

Would rather have spiteful fans who have no idea what winning actually takes, than Fans willing to smile upon cheating,racism and poor sportsmanship in the ends of winning.

IE.... MIzzou fans would be worse, if Norm had actually accomplished a national title or two..... instead of ...well Losing to UCLA on a drive that should have been stopped at three quarter court.

Dan Harris 4 years, 1 month ago

You owe me a beer I just spilled mine from busting a gut to that post!

ahpersecoachingexperience 4 years, 1 month ago

RIP anthonyzal. May your spirit live on as a open space between two lines with all the other deleted posters.

beakem_hawks 4 years, 1 month ago

Just looked compared KU's roster to Mizzery's roster and Mizzery has more young shooting guards that Kansas. Therefore I belieive McLemore will pick KU because of more playing time right away. We need this recruit badly because after him it is slim pickings for 2011 recruiting class....... RCJH!!!!

thedudelovesKU 4 years, 1 month ago

i hate kensucky as much as the next jayhawk fan, but i'm not above giving credit where credit is due. calimari is a great recruiter and he knows how win over these young athletes. but the fact of the matter is is that everywhere he goes trouble follows. kentucky fans will then come back and say that ku has been through some problems lately, but its never within the bball program itself. kentucky has a long history of problems so i guess calipari is right where he belongs.

beakem - i totally agree...the playing time factor favors ku bigtime. b/t him and woolridge (who is highly underrated) ku should be a very good shooting team next year.

Selbyville 4 years, 1 month ago

I'm down with your objectivity dude, but I have a problem with giving respect to calipari for his recruiting. By now you have to assume that what he is doing to get those recruits can't be legal. His track record shows. He is the worst thing in college basketball, even worse than Dickie V.

DevilHawk 4 years, 1 month ago

Dickie V. is absurdly annoying to listen to, but he definitely has an overall positive impact on college basketball.

On the other hand, calipari should be blacklisted from college sports.

thedudelovesKU 4 years, 1 month ago

crap....did i say i have respect for him? because that's impossible. he's a sleezy douche

rockchalk_dpu 4 years, 1 month ago

yes it will. i remember listening to their fans chanting "traitor" at ryan robertson every time he touched the ball during our games in columbia.

Tony Bandle 4 years, 1 month ago

Missouri stages one of the greatest recruiting weekends in college history and they get Ben up there....THE FOLLOWING WEEKEND!!

What a bunch of chuckleheads

KGphoto 4 years, 1 month ago

I just can't see how it came down to these two. It's like picking between North Carolina and Clemson. Duke or Virginia. It's ridiculous.

Ben, if you pick Misery, you will be haunted by that decision for the rest of your life. If you pick KU, you will be a part of the greatest sports family in the history of basketball... for the rest of your life.

Now Brandon. You just smoked a $115k joint. How was it? Man, it must have been the chronic of chronic. And now you can afford to buy at least 25 more of them!

jaybate 4 years, 1 month ago

Perhaps Ben's problems with KU are things like:

Royce Travis Elijah Selby, if he isn't cleared until next season and Nadiir Tharpe's hoops posse

jaybate 4 years, 1 month ago

jnewell,

I'm not sure media outlets of record ought to adopt styles based on the same logic driving vanity plates on cars, but I'm a team player, so I'll give this a go.

Let's shorten LJW to LJ and KUSports.com to KUSprts and call them the official style for the Lawrence Journal, not the Lawrence Journal-World. Write it that way in every article on the site.

What the heck! Here are some other possible LJ abbreviations:

jnewell: jnwlchndmple Tom Keegan:guttmn Gary Bedore: GryBdr Bill Mayer: Alzhmr Chuck Woodling: Fizou Unuch Bernadette Grey-Little: Greyarea World Corporation:Brdbndflppr Bill Self: Bll$lf 100: 10^2 OakvilleJHawk:myarkitek dynamitehawk: diatomatiousntroglycrnhwk Lebowski: WhtRssn ralster:kpbbprivatizstr memhawk: elvs kushaw: knsasunivrstyshw Anthonyzal:antiknsasunivrstyshw drgnslayr: drgnslyr s6u6r6f:occultgeorgegreenough yates3333: yts3x1111 ParisHawk: CtyofLite Brock: Brk KEITHMILES05:Kth5280h5 DarthJayhaw: Anukn milehighhawk: outofthcrdleendlesslywhining jaybate: mstrb8

&so&sf (aka and so on and so forth.)

The thing about I like most about the suggestion is that some are actually longer than the originals. Why do I like that? It makes clear that there is no rhyme, or reason, to the official style. Its what literary scholars used to call organic use of language. :-)

vty (aka very truly yours), msrtb8

dynamitehawk 4 years, 1 month ago

I don't get me.... Oh wait. I get it... :)

s6u6r6f 4 years, 1 month ago

the devil loves endless summers. rock chalk.

Tony Bandle 4 years, 1 month ago

soobawls:trialtears [I'm afraid femnap was a little too strong] Turner Gill: lostfish KY_Cats:kygelkat

msrtb8...as Mike Tyson exclaims in "The Hangover"......"NICE"

Robert Brock 4 years, 1 month ago

History? The kids don't even know who Danny Manning is.

Jack Wilson 4 years, 1 month ago

Or perhaps he might just look at the tradition, the insane atmosphere, the high level of coaching, and the better path to the NBA. A complete no-brainer.

Now, if this were a football recruit .....

jaybate 4 years, 1 month ago

"Some Ways You Know the First Exhibition Game Approacheth"

~KU football sinking to new lows.

~Self appears at first "ladies night out" with Cin, as a way of saying, "See you next April, honey."

~Leaf color passes its peak, while students interests in in-door sports like Beer'n'Lust eclipse their interests in outdoor sports like Beer'n'Lust.

~Danny Manning applying talc to dome to reduce head glare under lights.

~Dickie V under ranking KU.

jaybate 4 years, 1 month ago

Katherine Ross' great line from "The Graduate" seems to apply here:

"Ben!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

KULA 4 years, 1 month ago

Who cares if Ben comes to Kansas? After seeing how far we rode 1&Done X last year, I'd rather roll with 2nd, 3rd & 4th yr players like Travis, EJ and Royce.