Thursday, October 28, 2010

KU ranked No. 7 in AP preseason poll

Kansas head coach Bill Self laughs as he talks with reporters during Big 12 media day Thursday, Oct. 21, 2010 at the Sprint Center in Kansas City, Mo.

The Kansas men's basketball team was ranked No. 7 in the preseason Associated Press poll released Thursday.

KU was one of four Big 12 teams picked in the top 16: Kansas State was No. 3, picking up two first-place votes; Missouri was 15th; and Baylor was 16th. Texas and Colorado also received votes but were not ranked.

The Jayhawks open the exhibition season at 7 p.m. Tuesday against Washburn.

AP preseason college basketball poll

1. Duke (55)
  20. Georgetown
  21. Virginia Tech
  22. Temple
  23. Tennessee
  24. BYU
  25. San Diego St.

Others Receiving Votes: Wisconsin 126, Texas 107, Georgia 67, West Virginia 65, Minnesota 55, Wichita St. 28, Florida St. 28, UNLV 21, Richmond 17, Murray St. 15, Vanderbilt 14, N.C. State 10, Connecticut 8, Arizona 8, Colorado 7, Mississippi Ohio 4, Miami (FL) 4, Dayton 3, Old Dominion 2, New Mexico 1, Georgia Tech 1, Wofford 1.

• A previous version of this story was updated.

Comments

rockchalkchampionship 7 years ago

I know I'm biased because I'm a KU fan but I don't see how ANYONE could seriously vote for K-State as the number one team in the nation. They lost their best scorer (Clemente) and one of their best athletes (Sutton) from a team that wasn't even one of the best five teams in the nation last year.

Christopher Hauser 7 years ago

Despite losing Clement, which creates questions on who will step up for them from long range to aid Pullen, they have great depth at the post. Pre season polls are just that so we will just have to wait and see.

sdoyel 7 years ago

Clemente wasn't their best "scorer", rather "creator".

Chris Shaw 7 years ago

It's kind of the same concept as Marcus Morris, don't you all think? Cole Aldrich opened up a great deal for Marcus Morris last year. Aldrich constantly getting double teamed and being the "Focus" of defenses opened up a lot of things for Marcus.

Even though Marcus is going to be more of a "Focus" this upcoming season doesn't mean his "Impact" is going to be anything less. Somebody else might get those buckets.. we The same can be said about the loss of Clemente. Just because your stats decrease from one year to the next doesn't mean you have any less impact for your team. Sure the loss by Clemente will be felt early, but they have McGruder, Irving, Spardling, and Myles who can all chip in and help Pullen shoulder that responsibility. Judege and Robets in the paint will also have a bigger role in the paint.

All in all, K-State has about 25 ppg they have to make up left behind by clemente, Sutton, and Colon. However, roles change, teams change, and style changes so not matter if K-State only picks up only 22 points or increases it to 28 points other guys will step into new roles and take on that responsibility. If they don't then Frank Martin will find somebody that will.

Kirk Goodwin 7 years ago

Shaw: It seems that despite the extra focus 'Cus will be receiving this year, he will still have big numbers since he is a skilled, athletic, big who can get his own shot (a rarity). Other teams lack size and athleticism to deal with him effectively. A shooting guard like pullen will be easier to contain without another dominant guard on the floor spreading things out and taking attention away from pullen.

JacquesMerde 7 years ago

K-State is in for a let down when their dive begins rather quickly once the season starts. This is a dip they richly deserve.

7 years ago

Dominating this series with K-State has been great the past 2 1/2 decades but I remember the excitement when this 3as a hard fought rivalry. maybe Martin will do what Jack Hartman was able to do.

Jaminrawk 7 years ago

Preseason polls in any sport are ridiculous. They should wait until conference play begins in most conferences in both football and basketball. Case in point, teams like UNC and UCONN going down the toilet last year while teams like KSU and Baylor impressed.

gchawk 7 years ago

Amen to your statement. Preseason polls are just guesses, nothing more nor nothing less. In the big scheme of things, what difference does it make?

baby_jay 7 years ago

not to mention texas last year- way over-rated in the preseason last year

2008KUGrad 7 years ago

Don't forget Texas, who was, at one point, ranked #1.

Benjamin Piehler 7 years ago

if I may be so bold; K-State is going to fall flat on their faces this year... i can honestly say I'm not worried about them. I think the magic last year was due to the shared workload between clemente and pullens... i think baylor is under-ranked though...

LAJayhawk 7 years ago

I believe K-State will be very solid this year. I don't know if they will remain top 5, but they will definitely be a good team. Plus -- even though it makes me vomit in my mouth to say it -- Frank Martin is an excellent coach.

Ugh.... I need to go take a hot shower now and scrub myself with steal wool and drain cleaner.....

JacquesMerde 7 years ago

Please use steel wool. Are you sure you aren't really from K-State?

7 years ago

Hate to say it, but I agree w/LAJayhawk (nothing personal). KSU will be a very solid team, and will compete for their first Big 12 Championship (even though I do not think they will win one this year).

Jace FitzGibbon 7 years ago

isnt lacedarius dunn still suspended? he's a big part of their team.

Kent Wells 7 years ago

I wouldn't be surprised to see Dunn back in action - at least by the time they start playing real teams in December / January. Time for Baylor to make some noise since it looks like the NCAA is bearing down on them!

slowplay 7 years ago

I would doubt it considering the nature of the charges. The GF is backtracking and said he didn't do it on purpose (struck and broke her jaw in 2 places) and she is not going to press charges but I don't think that negates the crime. He has been cleared to attend classes and practice, so you might be right.

Bridgett Walthall 7 years ago

Oh yeah, remember Scott Drew? The guy who took his players off the court at AFH last year during pregame? Total weasel. Dunn will play. I'd venture to say he won't miss any games at all.

2008KUGrad 7 years ago

I believe preseason polls are useless, as well. I hope this will give Bill and the boys some motivation, seeing how strong the Big 12 will be this season. If you can't win a home, you can't win conference championships. That's one thing Bill has on the other coaches. Rock Chalk! Let's get the seventh conference title!

rges 7 years ago

that is about all pre-season polls are useful for; it gives teams motiviation. that is all it is good for nothing more nothing less.

KU_FanSince75 7 years ago

It will be interesting if K-State holds on to their high preseason ranking. I, too, agree, just like hawkinator, that the Wildcats will eventually fall flat on their faces.

Robert Brock 7 years ago

At the point, K-State lost Clemente, Baylor lost Tweety Carter, and KU lost Sherron Collins. But it ain't just what you lost; it is also what ya got. And KU will have Josh Selby when the NCAA gets its head out. Et tu, Cats & Bears?

gchawk 7 years ago

No kidding. What's up with that?

vmwskywalk 7 years ago

CU has two guys on the Wooden Award watch list. I bet they will sneak up on some people this year.

TheShot122293 7 years ago

That's the first thing I thought when I read this. Maybe they will make the final game in Allen Fieldhouse West an interesting one. Okay...no they won't.

MIZNIT 7 years ago

They're. And don't kid yourself. KSU will finish no better than 3rd.

douggiejug 7 years ago

K-State owns Kansas this year.(Period) WE have the best coach, best college atmosphere and best players. How is KU better or even close for that matter? Sure you beat us a few times LAST Year. Self can't beat UNI or Bucknell how he gonna beat KSU?

JayhawkBigXII 7 years ago

Ha ha ha! Man, what you been smokin'?

Sam Brockert 7 years ago

Wow, that was the single most ridiculous statement in the history of comment sections.

Ben Kliewer 7 years ago

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I don't register accounts on other teams websites to talk trash for two reasons. 1. I have better things to do with my time. 2. I'm not a dick.

Troll...

Jared Grillot 7 years ago

Bucknell? Really? That's what you've got? You've beat us at your place one time in the last 20-some years (best college atmosphere is one of losing?) during which time we've won 2 NC's and a completely unheardof number of conference championships, and you come back with Bucknell? Lame.

Jace FitzGibbon 7 years ago

Bill Selfs underwear > Frank Martin Allen Fieldhouse Atmosphere vs Washburn > K-State vs Kansas in Fieldhouse West

Jayhawk Walk-ons > K state players (besides Judge and Pullen who is over rated)

not even a contest dude.

rges 7 years ago

How many national titles or final fours does your "best coach" have. THe only reason he still had a contract his first year is because of Huggins. Your best players got handled last year at Manhattan and in Lawrence. And just incase you needed a reminder of how many national titles your program has it is 0!!!! NONE! NADA! GOOSE EGG! Kansas has 3 titles my friend! You have 24 tourny appearnces Kansas has 39! You have 4 Final Fours Kansas has 14!

This year K-State does not have an athlete to match up with a Josh Selby. Did you forget the fact that Marcus Morris dropped 13 pts and 10 boards, Tyshawn Taylor 12, and Brady Morningstar with 14?? I am pretty sure all of those guys are back a year better. And that was the game AT K-STATE! We wont discuss the game at Lawrence.

Im not even going to discuss the line of best college atmosphere cuz that is a straight joke!!!

dac 7 years ago

You are kidding, right? KU beat KSU THREE (count em 3) times last year. How short is your memory?

gchawk 7 years ago

I love great intellectual comments like this, douggie. Folks, we might as well pack our bags and go home. As douggie states so clearly and succinctly, ksu is the pinnacle of all college towns, superior in every way, with the possible exception of records and championships (opps, that was my opinion), so I don't see why we even bother with "lacing them up" this season.

MIZNIT 7 years ago

Great point! That one victory yall have in Manhattan the last 20 years in really impressive!

Tuskin 7 years ago

Douggie, did you really mention Bucknell? You've got courage, I'll give you that.

Your team won its first round game that year right? Oh, wait. They went to the NIT. Oh, wait. They didn't even get invited to that. You stayed home. But oh, boy, Bucknell beat KU! Makes up for it all, and then some, doesn't it?

Benjamin Piehler 7 years ago

correct me if I'm wrong, but you have to beat us before you can "own" us. Since that hasnt happened yet; I guess we still "own" you from last years thrashings. Come back with some actual arguments and we'll talk. Till then; I'd lay off the paint thinner.

JacquesMerde 7 years ago

Q. posed by doublejug (head). "Self can't beat UNI or Bucknell how he gonna beat KSU?" Like he has most times they have played. Have you had a frontal lobotomy?

KU_FanSince75 7 years ago

Get off this fricking post (period).

douggiejug 7 years ago

It hard when times change but the cream of the crop is moving over to the little apple (period)

Sam Brockert 7 years ago

What "Cream of the Crop" Moron, KU got the Number 1 rated recruit IN THE NATION.

jayhwx3003 7 years ago

Will you be back to eat crow when once again you best team ever, is beat by KU??

JayhawkBigXII 7 years ago

Only "crop" Douggie-douche has is k-pot ditch weed.

kuhull 7 years ago

The 7 ranking is probably the high water mark if Selby must sit all year. If and when he's cleared, we will play into a top 5 by year end. KSU will play it's way down to a 10ish mark. Both will be able to make deep runs in March. Seeding is so critical. We at KU know that all too well. KSU, you are about to learn that soon.

Chris Shaw 7 years ago

I'm not a fan of preseaon rankings, either, but you have to start somewhere for rankings so it might as well be preseason. The only thing I find laughable is the UNC ranking. Considering the season they had last year, in no way shape or form do they belong in the top 15 of the polls. UNC in the rankings is getting ridiculous............let's just go ahead and rank them in the Top 10 just because they "Potential". Jeez, starting to sound and look like the NBA draft.

douggiejug 7 years ago

KU loses sherron and cole and yall think your good because of history ........ I find that "laughable"

Sam Brockert 7 years ago

No we think we are goos, because we have made the NCAA tournament every year for decades. Also, 6 Big 12 Championships, 6 and as I count them only 4 were when sherron collins was on the roster., Also Look at the history of the big 12. There have been 14 Big 12 tournaments, half of those have been won by KU, how many by k-state??? None, Iowa State has won ONE for heaven sakes. Then it is the Regular season championships, also 14 of them. KU has won 10 of them, 10...there have only been 4 times that KU was not AT LEAST co-champion...so there is why we think we are still a good team.

Sam Brockert 7 years ago

Meant, 6 STRAIGHT Big 12 championships

douggiejug 7 years ago

Again History can't help you win this year ..... sorry history isn't adding anything to the team ..... o ya a number 1 recruit that can't play ........ good job KU

JayhawkBigXII 7 years ago

Douche... did you go to the site KuKain put up? That says it all.

Jaminrawk 7 years ago

To be fair, that is an ESPN "Insider" story and KSU fans like ole douggie can't afford that. He just got off "dial up" so he can post on these sites. He's tapped out.

Jared Grillot 7 years ago

Super sweet! Thanks for the link.. made me chuckle inside.

Sam Brockert 7 years ago

I was not saying that this year we would definetly win the Big 12, I was saying we have right to feel that this team is good based on the fact the KU has CONSISTENTLY had a good team...(PERIOD). Oh and how many times has your beloved Frank Martin beaten KU in his Career at KU? Once? Out of 7 games? Not a great record...

Sam Brockert 7 years ago

Jeez typing mistakes abound, I meant to say Frank Martin's career at KSU.

doubled96 7 years ago

No, actually we think we're good because of the people we have on our roster (both current and new). If you believe the recruiting sites, our bench is higher rated than most teams starters. Rankings and history all mean squat once the ball it tossed though, and when that ball is tossed, I like our chances against anyone with this squad!

JayhawkBigXII 7 years ago

dougie-douche-troll ... Yes, KU is good because of history... as well as K-State being horrible because of history... and that is what is "laughable".

douggiejug 7 years ago

Josh Selby can't play this year ...... morris squared will probably get in a fight and get suspended .......tyshawn will transfer because of his ego and the rest of your team won't win 10 games

JayhawkBigXII 7 years ago

Even if all that happenend, KU will still beat K-State, as usual.

Sam Brockert 7 years ago

Josh Selby's eligibilty is being determined, i.e. not decided yet, the rest is just stupid. YOu base your claim that ku won't be good by these "facts" wow, I was wrong about you being just an idiot, you are a new breed of stupid.

Dan Harris 7 years ago

Have you looked at yourself in the mirror lately.,now that is truly laughable!!! Go back to licking yourself douchebag!

kuhull 7 years ago

We have 3 pros on our roster with a possible 4th and 5th. Tyshawn Taylor, Marcus Morris, Josh Selby, and Elijah Johnson & Thomas Robinson. That is not history, just fact. You haven't even seen EJ or Selby. Good luck with those two Pullen when you hit one of your patented 0 for 15 streaks.

KU_FanSince75 7 years ago

Shaw---- What you are talking about is East Coast bias. It is so blatent, especially the last few years. Dick Vitale, OMG, I can't stand him when he talks about the Big East or the ACC. Am I surprised that UNC is ranked---no surprise at all.

Chris Shaw 7 years ago

I just find it irritating. I still get miffed at UNC getting the #1 seed in the East in 2007 and Florida getting the #1 seed in the Midwest when Ohio State and Kansas both were #1 and #2 in the polls.

I also find the East Bracket from last year with Duke laughable. It's just annoying, irritating, and frustrating rolled all into one.

KU_FanSince75 7 years ago

@ doubled96----I believe the KSU/KU matchups will be intense and close---no doubt that the games will be nail biters. Rankings and history and, I will throw in tradition, too----they mean a lot, especially to recruiting. I don't understand completely why the NCAA has not cleared Selby yet, but if and when he gets the green light, look out. In all fairness and credit to K-State, I think Frank Martin is a good coach. He is controversial at times, but a good coach. When I am seeing pictures of Bill Self and Frank Martin together (at the Big 12 Media Day, Dallas, TX), one can tell that Self has the utmost respect for Coach Martin. I saw an interview of Frank Martin on my local TV sports channel (KAKE-TV, Wichita, KS) and Coach Martin had one of his players interview him. It was very funny. Coach Martin likes to have fun. So, in that regard, I think the KU/K-State games will be fun. Keep in mind, HCBS has a way in winning Big 12 Championships and until someone knocks them off the top of the mountain, like a K-State, I still believe the Jayhawks will prevail. It will be interesting to see what happens.

doubled96 7 years ago

Agreed. In case it wasn't apparent, I'm a KU fan.

douggiejug 7 years ago

I will laugh when KU is a 10 seed and loses to Holy Cross by 20 ....... How can you think ,with nobody, KU will be good? It doesn't make sense that KU can lose 2 good players and "get" the number 1 recruit for academics and not athletics, yet they will beat KSU........ wow its gonna be fun watching lawrence cry about the Cats rollin all over yall. Pleeeeeee!

jayhwx3003 7 years ago

Am I missing something or didn't ksu loose a couple of good players too. You make it sound like we are the only team to loose some players. In the same way that other guys will have to step up for ksu, the same can be said about the jayhawks. We have players waiting for their chance to shine. That's why we always have a good chance to compete for the conference and national crowns.

milehighhawk 7 years ago

LOL. I remember my first year watching basketball, too.

tdub 7 years ago

douggiejug, I'd like you to meet KYCats. He/she was our resident troll for last season. He/she made big claims about Kentucky winning it all without losing any games. He/she signed all their posts with Kentucky Wildcats, your 2009-2010 National Champions. For the most part, we were all just confused about why he/she was trolling a KU sports site in the first place.

Then, Kentucky lost in the tourney. Haven't heard from him/her since. I look forward to you meeting the same fate after the Big 12 tourney, but I am sorry that I will have to endure your nonsense until then. Have fun getting a reaction out of us all (or should I say yall Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!).

Benjamin Piehler 7 years ago

once again; if you have a rational argument/stats, I suggest you use it/them. You are rapidly coming off as an ignorant, opinionated, fan, idiot.

92Jhawk 7 years ago

Oh Jug, you poor, silly little he/she. Most here don't appreciate the comic relief brought to us by our resident "trolls"...but I enjoy the levity. I applaud your bravery if not your intelligence...it's my hope that you're still around in March.

When the season is over, we'll be saying the same thing we say at the end of every season, "same old Jayhawks, same old sorry @#@ kittens"...

Now go home, put down your jug and brush your tooth.

Dan Harris 7 years ago

It:s going to be fun seeing you come back here after we kick your ass again ( oh wait a minute you will slink back to your slime hole and wont respond like the chicken sh@@t you are when we keep on rolling over the mildcats like we always do!!)

JayhawkBigXII 7 years ago

I hope UNC does well this year. Maybe meet up with them in the tournament.

KU_FanSince75 7 years ago

@ beware---- Is it Wichita State's turn to turn off the lights VS the Jayhawks in the second round?

@ douggiejug---- Man, you are starting to be like Muazla. Calling Muazla. Please take care of douggie for me----Pleeeeeeee!

somethingfunny 7 years ago

So glad I don't live in manhattan because everyone there thinks a moderate amount of success makes you the team to beat. History doesn't make a good, we made our history what it is by BEING the best since... Well, since we invented the game. This guy is annoying and ignorant, imagine a whole city... For 4 years.

100 7 years ago

Regarding KSU: very reminiscent of Wichita State having a couple top 10 rankings in the last few years. Great for the state of Kansas. Nice job Cats, honestly I don't think anyone around here cares that much, but we do commend your assistant coach & his recruiting efforts, indeed his influence has changed your team quite a lot from a personnel standpoint.

Good luck next year to Frank & his team; we like him, he's like a nice Norm Stewart with big eyebrows who we respect to a certain degree.

Rock Chalk

Tallhawk 7 years ago

If you look at the recruiting ratings this year and next year you will see the well has dried up for the KSU - cats, they are not getting the 4 star players that they were getting, hmmmmm but Kansas keeps getting the "5" star athletes, amazing isn't it.

KU_FanSince75 7 years ago

Hey, Jayhawk Nation, put your dukes down for a second----I have lots of time on my hands today at work, what can I say?!

Just staring at the picture of HCBS above and do you notice the guy with the press pass----he doesn't have a camera, a recording devise or a pen or paper---but he has his fists clinch like he wants to duke it out with Coach Self---I kind of laughed at it when I took a triple look at the picture. The guy is smack in the middle. Interesting!

KU_FanSince75 7 years ago

Of course, Dr. Naismith is buried in Lawrence. People come from all over the world and rub their hand on his tombstone. Maybe Coach Martin can rub his hand on Naismith's tombstone for good luck, right before he plays the Jayhawks on Jan. 29th. Maybe ESPN's game day crew can capture that on camera!

somethingfunny 7 years ago

Since I am typing on my iPod, I didn't wan to go too in depth on naismith's life and where the game was literally invented. Just trying to make a point, figured the most minute of biographical details could be spared for brevity's sake. Typing on these things suck.

chriz 7 years ago

On the contrary, I saw him rubbing his hands on the tombstone after Bill Self returned the title to Kansas. Coach Martin was just trying to get him some. I can't blame him.

Jeff Hargate 7 years ago

The Wichita State reference is right on the money...although I think KSU will be a player on more of a regular basis. I am very intersted to see how KSU plays this year with such great expectations. Now that they are near the top of the rankings players and fans feel the pressure to win. The hardest part about being a top 5 program is staying a top 5 program. There is no doubt that KSU is going to be a good team, but can they be a great team for 90% of the season and hold thier ranking? I wonder if the KSU fan posting has noticed our program for the last 20 years...or 100 years for that matter? We lose great players on a yearly basis and seem to do a good job of plugging in new talent. Averaging a conference championship every other year for 112 years is pretty impressive. Hopefully this year will be no different. Rock Chalk!

Tony Bandle 7 years ago

Frankly, I think it's a great complement to our school when other school's fans come trolling on our site. Why do they come?

Fear, self-loathing, envy, jealousy, inbred anger, immaturity, braggodocia, attention-starved, lonely, weak-minded, frustrated, delusional, inferiority complexed, pi$$ed, etc.

I apologize if I missed anything. :)

gchawk 7 years ago

Very good points. We also have to keep in mind that this very well could be the high spot for KSU this year, I'm sure they are selling preseason ranking t-shirts at every farm supply store in and around Manhattan as we speak.

somethingfunny 7 years ago

I'll bet they've got the dvds on the shelves at varney's already. right next to the elite 8 and nebraska dvds from the 90's. they're still selling like hot cakes.

douggiejug 7 years ago

Im just keeping it real Oakville nice choice of vocab though. It is easy to just go on a poorly put together fan site and brag about your team with a bunch of other jayhawks, but when another basketball fan comes on this KU site you can't put together one legit argument of why this years team is better than KSU team this year. The coaches don't think so.......??????? Ku= #7

History is great in Lawrence but their current day players are GOOD, not great

KSU is better and our players fathers don't illegally sell tickets to profit for themselves (morningstar)

Benjamin Piehler 7 years ago

you are literally retarded. I dont care if this post gets deleted. all anyone has posted is legitimate arguments, not one of which you have chosen to respond to. And here you are, demanding an explanation for why we are going to beat you once again. What possible reason can you point to to think you can win? Nobody nearly as good as beasley is on that team. Seriously, make an argument or stop wasting our time.

KU_FanSince75 7 years ago

Oakville---- you forgot vengeful.

Martin Rosenblum 7 years ago

Out of the Box:

Number 7 is considered lucky!

So, in addition to talent and a great coach, we've got luck on our side!

RCJHEFUKSU!

jayhawkarmy 7 years ago

Rankings don't mean nothing until close to march when you want to be top four or ten but even then as the 1988 ku champs proved it dont matter at all its just a number what matters is who's wins the games the confrence and goes for the big one ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK!

scraptown 7 years ago

I'm a fan of college sports, so as a kansan, I view both K-state and ku web pages. I am a wildcat fan primarily, so I rarely post on ku pages, but I feel inclined to do so in this instance to clarify why KSU fans would so heinously invade your web sanctum. It is to verify our status of success, because if we weren't good, you wouldn't be talking so much about us, good or bad. We understand preseason rankings don't mean much, KSU wasn't ranked til later in the season and ended in the final top 10, while the preseason #1 didn't make it past the field of 32.

100 7 years ago

Totally agree. We like Frank Martin. Most of us don't give a rats about KSU's hoops team one way or another. However, we got beat by UNI so we were forced to watch the rest of the tourney -- most of us were very impressed with last year's KSU tenacity & your two shooters especially. That said....

Some of us find it curious how the whole thing got rolling within the last three years in Manhattan (Huggins upon being hired by a factually downtrodden desperate KSU hoops team averaging 750 people per home game begat you know who Beasley when Huggins wasn't supposed to be recruiting for two years after getting banned from coaching which ended up begatting Martin when Huggins left which kept a grossly overpaid assistant cough-cough "coach" with all the ties to the DC AAU hoops program). That is the only fishy part is now that the NCAA is cutting down on Agent ties, will that affect KSU assistant coach's "recruiting"?

I suppose the reason that history lesson sticks with many of us KU fans is, we did like & enjoy our streak that was snapped by Beasley. We like you. We like Frank. But we also like honesty. All this went down in a rather fishy manner & it all started with Huggins, so, again, no disrespect, but there we are, left to stare at how it actually happened between 2007 & 2010...

[continued]

gchawk 7 years ago

".....verify status of success..." Please define "success". We view it as at least Conference champs, let alone National champs. In football, we've at least had a BCS victory, not bad for a basketball school !!

100 7 years ago

[continued]

Will you have consistency? That's hard to say. Historically, it doesn't seem like hiring somebody like Huggins who stays for one year is a good foundation. However... that assistant coach is there, the key to all the recruits.... He is still on your campus, but as another poster pointed out, something seems to have happened to his DC connections recently, because ever since he received that huge contract bonus from KSU, the NCAA unfortunately started going after, publically & privately, the Calipari nation. They pressed no charges against the Walls & Bledsoes, even though there was much to turn up, some of which was reported (Wall's shoe deal & Bledsoe's transcript). Since they were already off to the NBA, the Calipari strategy worked.... But unfortunately for the kind of guys your assistant coach was bringing in, current 16 year olds might not be able to be swayed by him unless they know its foolproof.

There's just too many Calipari types out there in the DC area. Eventually, John Calipari may very well John Calipari himself... this is still to be seen of course, it's much too early to tell.

Again, we like Frank Martin a bunch & best of luck next year, but believe us, and this is no disrespect -- we hate Missouri & Kentucky with Calipari have been a thorn in our side recently, but you guys remind us of a purple Wichita State which got passed the sweet 16 last year, who we cheered for, just as we must remind you of Wichita State/Northwest in football this year, as we desperately try to get back on our feet again, who you cheer & wave the wheat for when we score a touchdown with a minute to go, to cut the spread to 52 points (at home).

Population-wise, this is a small state; hate either way is pointless.

Let's save it for Nebraska.

All due respect, The Jayhawk Nation

scraptown 7 years ago

Yes, in football. Apparently the only sport that really matters in means of money and conference worth. In all honesty though, Clemente being gone will hurt the cats, but this team is better, and they have no shortage of capable guards.

Martin Rosenblum 7 years ago

Just checked the current polls. KSU is not in the top 25 in football. But, there are 5 other B12 teams. How then is it that they (KSU) help the conference worth?

Give it up Purple Nation!

KU_FanSince75 7 years ago

@ ralster----

If I was a K-State Wildcat fan (which I am not, thank God), I would not want to face you on the debate floor, or on the hardwood, for that matter. Instead of these stupid political ads I see at night, I would love to see several video posts by you, ralster. As my favorite actor would say in one of his movies, "go ahead---make my day!" Your video post would definitely make my day. Rock Chalk forever!

KU_FanSince75 7 years ago

@ TaCityHawkFan----

You should send that link to Douggiejug---have him/her wake up to reality!

100 7 years ago

On the target TaCityHawkFan.... again, no disrespect to KSU, because they will be good. But I think this is what many of us see too. I mean as fans we've been pretty honest when an opposing team was stacked & worthy of praise (take 1988 OU for instance). But this year's KSU team without Clemente??? Well, here's the ESPN writer's quote that seems to sum it up:

"They've already goofed. I'll be blunt: Who did Kansas State charm this summer? No. 3 in the country? I can see No. 3 in the Big 12 -- maybe -- and Jacob Pullen can play for my team any day of the week. But shouldn't the third-best college team in the United States do more than simply hack and be hacked?"

waywardJay 7 years ago

Not to throw dirt on my program but. Seriously K-state earned the preseason ranking....

That was a team really close to being a national champion, and Pullen's back so with all do respect, K-state will field a contender.

now their questions....

Will Curtis Kelley become legit and stop whining about foul calls ? Can Magruder live up to his high school hype ? Can Wallace Judge become Jury and Executioner ?

I think all three of these will be yes.

Pull will still lead this team but between Judge, Kelley, and Samuels this team will be able to keep up with us on the perimeter and on the post for 35 minutes...... Repeat 35 minutes.

Magruder will not stretch the court enough for us to make the difference and while their rebounding and sheer athletecism down low will cause us trouble.... We will still have enough momentum to carry through.... look for a 3-5 point win in teh Hawktagon of the doomed, and a 12 point iwn in Allen ....

But do not for a second think this K-state team will be meek.... this is a very VERY taleneted team with an excellent coach. The only reason they will finish below second in this conference is because the two seed always goes to the South's best....

Kansas 14-2 Baylor 11-5 K- State 12-4 Mizzou 10-6

Benjamin Piehler 7 years ago

im still not convinced without clemente and sutton.

Kye Clark 7 years ago

Someone posted this several months ago, but with K-State trolls thumping their chests again thought I'd re-post the link. Hilarious:

Michael Luby 7 years ago

HAHA! Kstate is lame and DoogieJugs has carnal knowledge of pigs.

KU_FanSince75 7 years ago

316---Thanks for the link----I laughed my head off. I have the day off and that started my day just right! Again, thanks! Rock Chalk.

ZDKC 7 years ago

Remember the good ole slogan folks, and I'll continue to say this throughout the season.

"K-State Basketball: Tradition Since Michael Beasley "

douggiejug 7 years ago

KU a team even UNI can beat ...... they must be really good ...... i wish i went to KU so we could brag all year and get beat by the MVC

gchawk 7 years ago

"i wish i went"????? Einstein, that says it all. There's no way you could have been accepted.

Benjamin Piehler 7 years ago

SINCE you are bringing up last year. you lost to the team that lost to UNI.... three times. once again, use a rational line of thought... please.

92Jhawk 7 years ago

Attention KState fan, most Jayhawks don't consider KSU a rival (some of the younger 'hawks may but they look at KU v KSU on a micro level)...you remind me of our other stepbrother, WSU fan...I still have to deal with some Shocker fans wearing their "Battle of New Orleans" t-shirts (those of you old enough to remember teams from the 70's and 80's know what I'm talking about)...what you need to understand is that we WANT to root for our instate brothers...but your ignorant, irrational rants make it very difficult.

I often remind myself that I need to be gentle with KSU/WSU fans as you're very fragile...but it's hard when you little terriers are constantly biting our pant-leg. Do you understand that being ranked 7th in the preseason AP poll, during a rebuilding year (reload actually) is a dissapointment to Jayhawk Nation? I'd try to articulate that feeling but it would be lost on you...

bad_dog 7 years ago

"KU a team even UNI can beat" says Douggie's jugs

Yet your beloved Mildcats could not beat KU despite having 3 opportunities to do so last year-including the loss in the post-season conference tournament championship game. I guess that one really hurt, didn't it? But that's just history, right? You do know what they say about those who ignore history-you're doomed to repeat it. So feel free to keep dismissing KU's basketball success as just "history". Nevertheless, where does that place KSU amongst the crowd of "I wanna beat KU" cry babies? Your comment sounds like "My big brother from Northern Iowa could kick your a$$" to me.

As proven on three occasions last year, KSU was not as good as KU. KSU will not be as good as KU again this year.

douggiejug 7 years ago

Pleeeeeee yall wanna come out west to lamb country and see what we do in the little apple be my guest and remember ur tissues ...... Ku is like iowa st compared to ksu this year and you can bow to pullen come B12 season

gchawk 7 years ago

You're obviously into self abuse. Take your sheep and go home.

Greg Lux 7 years ago

I can't wait to see Shelby ( yes I think he will play ) eat Pork Chops (Pullens) lunch.... it should be fun .. Rock Chalk

2005grad 7 years ago

I don't understand why 90% of the posts on here are about K-State. Isn't this a KU fan page? Why don't we talk about ourselves? #7 is nothing to be ashamed of, no matter how good or bad K-State is.

lahothan 7 years ago

Kstate 3rd, KU 7th, and Wichita St. hanging around 30th in the preseason? I think it's safe to say that basketball lives in the state of Kansas.

As if it didn't before...