Texas A&M defeats Kansas, 45-10

• 6 p.m., Oct. 23, 2010
  • David Booth Kansas Memorial Stadium, Lawrence, KS

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Nobody’s home: Fans flee scene of latest KU setback

Kansas backup quarterback Kale Pick throws an incomplete pass before the backdrop of sparsely populated seats during the fourth quarter Saturday, Oct. 23, 2010 at Kivisto Field.

Football highlights: KU vs. Texas A&M

KU lost its third straight game on Saturday against Texas A&M. The Jayhawks managed to score more than seven points for the first time in those three weeks.

It was a homecoming game in which everybody went home. At this rate, there’s no guarantee they’ll be coming back.

The Kansas University football team suffered its third straight embarrassing beating Saturday night, this time a 45-10 laugher at the hands of struggling Texas A&M.; By the end, it looked as if the university might have changed one of its school colors to silver, as the glare of Memorial Stadium’s empty seats looked more suited to surrounding a scrimmage than an actual college football contest.

“You can talk about the crowd all you want,” senior Olaitan Oguntodu said when searching for answers after last week’s 59-7 loss to Kansas State. “They appreciate the hard work that we put in, and that’s the most they can do. Fans are fans, and when we play our butts off, they cheer for us. That’s their role. When we play our butts off, they’re in the stands, and they make that place as loud as it can be. The rest is on us.”

Like the two routs that came before it, Kansas’ most recent loss featured a KU team struggling to score, fighting off untimely miscues and searching for answers.

“We had turnovers, then we had some unforced penalties,” Kansas coach Turner Gill said. “I think those are the two big factors (that hurt) when we had an opportunity to put the ball in the end zone and didn’t do that.”

Despite the end result being what people have become used to seeing, the Jayhawks actually were in this one for a while.

Trailing, 17-3, KU (2-5 overall, 0-3 Big 12) got back into the game with 10:35 to play in the second quarter. Quarterback Jordan Webb hit tight end Tim Biere on two straight passes to pull KU within a touchdown. A few minutes later, with A&M; leading 24-10, the Jayhawks again looked poised to cut the deficit to a single score. But then disaster struck. And it stuck around the rest of the night.

A pass from Webb toward the end zone was intercepted by A&M;’s Dustin Harris and returned 83 yards. Four plays later, the Aggies punched it in and took a 31-10 lead into the half.

“There’s plays out there, where if they just went our way it could’ve been a different game,” senior Jake Laptad said.

Be that as it may, even those were few and far between. The rest of the night was a mere formality, as the Aggies continued to pile up the yards and touchdowns, and the Jayhawks continued to self destruct.

Another example came midway through the second quarter when the KU defense followed up Biere’s touchdown with a spirited stop. One problem: On the third-down incompletion from A&M; quarterback Ryan Tannehill, Laptad was flagged for roughing the passer. Four plays later it was 24-10.

“That was a tough one for us,” Laptad said. “Because if we could’ve got off the field and got our offense on the field, that would’ve been a good momentum swing for us.”

Despite the mistakes, Gill never questioned his team’s desire.

“I thought the guys played with effort. I don’t think it was an issue of effort,” Gill said. “We just didn’t make enough plays. That’s what’s happening. The other team is making the plays, and we’re not.”

The previous two beatdowns may have been more embarrassing, but this one definitely was more costly. In addition to losing Webb, the starting quarterback, to a shoulder injury just before halftime, the Jayhawks also lost backup QB Kale Pick to a concussion in the fourth quarter.

That sent sophomore receiver D.J. Beshears to quarterback for half a series, as Gill elected to go with the playmaker in the Wildcat formation before giving way to third-string quarterback Quinn Mecham.

Gill did not know the outlook for his top two quarterbacks following the game.

“Oh, it’s tough. A loss hurts,” Gill said. “And it’s tough to try to come back and do it week after week after week. It takes its toll. I know we’re all human beings, and it hurts, and there’s frustration.”

Biere agreed, but said the team was trying to remain positive.

“It’s been a tough three weeks,” he said. “But there’s better days ahead. It’s a low point, but we can only go up from here. It’s just a terrible feeling, as much as most of us have dedicated to this program, to see it like this right now.”

Added Quigley: “We’re still not out of it, as bad as it looks.”

Comments

Ryan Lee 9 years, 4 months ago

Its official. We have the ugliest uniforms in the Big 12. I hate the Trajan font! Our old font was the best in the business....especially on the front of the B-ball Jerseys. The red stripe on the pants is stupid! The helmets are boring. And the no name thing is overdone. We look like a Cnadian football team...the Alberta **sholes.

JHawkEddy 9 years, 4 months ago

I know we're nitpicking at this point, but I totally agree. Bring back the old font. Especially on the basketball uni's.

kureader 9 years, 4 months ago

... and the hotdogs from the concession stands were cold, the buns were stale, and the bathrooms smelled ...

... ha ha ... have you noticed that when a team looks bad, everything else looks bad too?

I agree with you, though. I like to see names on the uniforms. And, I see nothing wrong with good looking uniforms. Gill has brought his Nebraska attitude about uniforms to Kansas. Nebraska's uniforms define "stale and ugly" ... so, now, ours are stale and ugly too. Gill's reply? I think it was something like, "we want to be a team, not a bunch of individuals, so we need to leave their name off the uniform". ... yeah, right ... that makes sense, Turner. Leaving names off the uniforms will make us play like a team, and it will put the players in the right frame of mind. *()&#$%_?????

ahpersecoachingexperience 9 years, 4 months ago

i've said it a million time that it make watching the games on tv so hard to watch. you have no idea who is in and making plays. for example, i missed webb getting knocked out last night and didn't know it was pick that was playing.

and wait till gill breaks out the white helmets and red jerseys. geeeesh, who did he copy that look from?

jayhawk2062 9 years, 4 months ago

I could give a crap less about what the font looks like on our uniforms. The team that is inside the uniforms is embarrassing. That's what people should be worried about.

You don't see Oregon fans railing about the hideous uniforms Nike puts on their football team week after week.......because they are scoring 60 points a game!

It's gotta be the uniforms......that's why we're not winning.

Scott Oswalt 9 years, 4 months ago

Oregon has awesome uniforms.

-7 for you

hawk316 9 years, 4 months ago

Cats, many will blame Gill for another bad loss. But I saw a team that was moving the ball, but kept shooting itself in the foot. For the most part, the coaching staff is putting the players in a position to be successful, but the players are failing to execute, and the players themselves are honestly admitting their responsibility.

Gill is right when he says...

topflight 9 years, 4 months ago

Alberta **sholes. I am rolling on the ground in laughter. I love it.

William James 9 years, 4 months ago

Matt- I noticed that Gills career winning percentage is currently at .386, just below George Bretts batting average in 1980(.390). Considering his impressive salary, where does he rank in terms of salary compared to coaches with a career winning percentage under .400?

JHawkEddy 9 years, 4 months ago

Anyone else notice that Buffalo got smoked yesterday by Temple? TEMPLE! I didn't even know they had a football team. That makes two horrible teams with Gill's fingerprints all over them.

GoodGrief 9 years, 4 months ago

To be fair, Temple has a pretty decent team this year. They're 6-2, and one of their losses was a close one at nationally-ranked Penn State (and they were winning at halftime). Not saying this lets Buffalo off the hook, but the Owls are deserving of some respect this season.

Ashwin Rao 9 years, 4 months ago

I wanted to run something by you all... Can we bring back Conner Teahan as QB, and then slide in Coach Bill Self as Football coach as well? It can't get worse than this? At least we will: 1) Pay only one salary for coaching (big savings there!) 2) We have a nationally recognized coach (for a different sport, but what the heck!) 3) There is a chance, Coach Self can use his positives (ability to work with kids, strategize, prepare for games etc) to make some difference!

:-)

slowplay 9 years, 4 months ago

I listened to Coach Self at at halftime trying to correlate a missed 3 pointer at the buzzer to the INT Webb threw and believe me, it wasn't pretty. I think Chancellor Grey-Little should take over the team.

Matt Gauntt 9 years, 4 months ago

Sorry to say that the contract good old Lew gave Turner says we are going to pay Gill no matter what. We'll still have to pay Turner, but maybe we can put him in the ticket booth collecting tickets - at least he would be of some value.

ccarp 9 years, 4 months ago

The question of which team will win first just got a lot more interesting....

Justin Daniel 9 years, 4 months ago

Here is another question. Will Kansas score 50 points in Big 12 play?

Jack Wilson 9 years, 4 months ago

For anyone that doubts that it is poor coaching that has us in this spot, I heard a commentator yesterday ask ... who has better talent, Iowa St. or Kansas? Even if you would answer Iowa St., is the difference so great the ISU would win at Texas, and we would get embarrassed three weeks in a row vs. Baylor, KSU, and ISU? That is the clear evidence of coaching incompetence.

TenaciousD 9 years, 4 months ago

Not necessarily. ISU has a, (what is it... third year starter?) at QB. Don't underestimate the importance of an experienced QB that is worth a poop. During these blowout games, the hawks have been in there early until Webb does some stupid things. He is throwing interceptions in the red zone at crucial times.

We have no QB, period. And no solid run game to fall back on coming off 4 years of a pass oriented offense with Todd Reesing. Someone else mentioned it on this board... the O-line doesn't know how to run block.

Let Gill get those O-line recruits in and a decent QB and have those freshmen running backs get more experience and we will be middle of the pack or better in the Big 12. Two more years and all will be well at Memorial Stadium.

Jeff Hargate 9 years, 4 months ago

Didn't we run for over 200 yards last night...against a good run defense?? It can be done and Gill has to find a way to keep these guys focused for 4 qtrs.

Jack Wilson 9 years, 4 months ago

Not necessarily what? Come on. The difference in our talent is not the difference in the result. Coaching.

ConnecticutJayhawk 9 years, 4 months ago

At least we switched away from the white pants so I can stop having flashbacks and nightmares that Terry Allen is on the sidelines! Now it looks like Papa Smurf should be down there calling something other than 1 yard pass plays. Boy oh boy....these guys makes Mangino look like a genius!

ahpersecoachingexperience 9 years, 4 months ago

still no attendence numbers. guess i'll just count the people in the seats using my fingers,

how long before HCBS goes to the table and says "if turner gets 1 mill per win. . ."

Jayhawk1116 9 years, 4 months ago

I hadn't noticed that, but you're right. They haven't announced the attendance the last couple of games. Usually they announce the attendance and thank everyone for coming out. Now more than ever they should be thanking us for showing up!

ahpersecoachingexperience 9 years, 4 months ago

from the looks of things on tv last night it looked the the administration could of shook everyones hand on by one and been done in five minutes

HawkDigestCom 9 years, 4 months ago

I like how the LJW leads again with the fans leaving. I'm pretty sure that leaving is the appropriate response given the state of play. There may be a lot of blame to dole out for the current state of the program, but I wouldn't put the fans on that list. We've coughed up the cash, supported the awkward facilities improvements and have been at capacity or near for the past few years.

kcglowboy 9 years, 4 months ago

Dear HawkDigestCom: I understand your point that fans aren't to blame for this mess, and that KU fans have been incredibly good and loyal to their football team the last six or seven years. But in this case, I think Matt Tait's lead is, in fact, the appropriate takeaway from last night. He wasn't trashing loyal KU fans, he was instead sounding the alarm that if this train wreck continues on the field (and in KUAC), then the huge gains made in fan support the past 6-7 years could (and will) evaporate pretty quickly. I was in school during the Bob Val coaching disaster. I attended every game, no matter how ugly, and stayed to the end, no matter how UBER-UGLY. Of course, I was a Marching Jayhawk, so I had no choice. There were a few games that by the fourth quarter is was just the band and a handful of parents. And who could blame the fans? It was that ugly.

I think fan support is a very valid concern today. Never in history -- EVER -- had Memorial Stadium consistently sold out four or five years in a row until the mid-2000s. That took a lifetime to build that kind of LOYAL support. Unfortunately, it won't take that long for that support to erode. And I don't think anyone with a brain is blaming fans for that.

kcglowboy 9 years, 4 months ago

Njjayhawk actually touched on the real problem and we all almost missed it -- while it's easy to blame the football team's free-fall on the switch to Trajan, and easy to pile on because of the Smurf uniforms, the REAL culprit it the teeny-tiny little Smiling Jayhawk on the back of the uniforms (where names used to be). It just looks silly, and there HAS to be a Freudian message in reducing the role of your logo/mascot to serving as a mere placeholder. And that my friends, is the best explanation yet for how a team could go from the momentum of 12-1, Orange Bowl winners, back-to-back bowls winners with shiny new facilities to winless, last-place basement dwellers in two short years. Because any other explanation is just as logical (or logic-less).

Oh, and ahpersecoachingexperience, the box score I read on ESPN.com says attendance was 43,000. Uh huh.

ahpersecoachingexperience 9 years, 4 months ago

43,000 riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. going to go ahead and say thats a (wink-wink) estimated number from kuad

kcglowboy 9 years, 4 months ago

OK, I feel like a schmuck now. I mis-spoke; I shortchanged KUAC. The "actual" reported attendance was 44,239. My apologies to KUAC for making the attendance seem worse than it ...... oh, dang, I almost got through that sentence without cracking up. My bad. I am curious this morning how KUAC's big marketing push fared (selling TA&M's returned ticket block for $15 a ticket -- a slight improvement over the $90 they tried to extort from K-State fans).

Cody Stumma 9 years, 4 months ago

Are they including the people that watched from the hill too?

ahpersecoachingexperience 9 years, 4 months ago

no, i think that includes everyone. meaning people at the game, on the hill, and watching on national tv

Robert Brock 9 years, 4 months ago

The Hawks don't look like a football team, so the squirrelly uniforms reinforce that observation. Yesterday, it was the "lucky" blue pants, some days it's the "lucky" red jerseys, and, in the future, I expect to see "lucky" white helmets with large Jayhawks on them.

Meanwhile, I am still wondering...who are those guys? Whoever they are, they don't seem to be excited to be playing.

Jaminrawk 9 years, 4 months ago

KU has no offensive line. Not that Webb or Pick seem to be consistent anyway, but watching Johnson have all day yesterday in comparison to KU's QB's running for their lives was just depressing. If I had to find one unit on this team that I would say is "good" I would be trying all day to think of one. Maybe the running backs if they actually had lanes to run through.

Ben Kane 9 years, 4 months ago

this is pretty pathetic. perhaps i had on my rockchalk goggles a few months ago because it seems we do belong in the MAC

Chris Shaw 9 years, 4 months ago

Where's that poll at the beginning of the season on the number of "Wins" KU would have this season? My "3 wins" is looking pretty strong at this point.

Robert Brock 9 years, 4 months ago

You were so close! But you still over-rated the team.

Chris Shaw 9 years, 4 months ago

I still got 5 games left and two of them are against Iowa State and Colorado.

murph 9 years, 4 months ago

And your point is?? If I were going to bet any money it'd be on the Cyclones and the Buffs. It's that pathetic.

Scott Perlmutter 9 years, 4 months ago

I moved from Lawrence in January so this is my 1st year without season tickets. After North Dakota State, if I still had season tickets I would have seriously considered going in and asking for a refund. Now, I absolutely would have asked for a refund and would have canceled my season tickets until Turner Gill is gone. When I turned on the game during commercials of the playoffs last night and saw those stands it hit me; we no longer even have a football program! This is just pathetic.

lama 9 years, 4 months ago

Wonder if Chancellor Do-Little can come up with $8 million to start over?

Bee Bee 9 years, 4 months ago

I cant believe how many people threw away money to go to this game. When I found out the A and M band wasnt showing up, I decided I wasnt either!

I could get 10 guys off my block and play better defense than this team. They look like they are strapped to trees!!! SLOOOOOOOOOOW!

Just AWFUL!

Cody Stumma 9 years, 4 months ago

Maybe they came to hear the Aerosmith show from the band? The homecoming ceremony was boring (as every year). And there wasn't a football game being played, so I'm not sure what else people came to watch...

Coyotehawk 9 years, 4 months ago

"So i'm not sure what else people came to watch..."

The Rock Chalk Dancers just like all the players.

Pretty pathetic when your players in the huddle are more concerned with the performance from the Rock Chalk Dancers than they are with what your coaching staff has to say.

Get rid of that 10 o'clock curfew with the ladies rule and you might not have this scenario.

Jayhawk1116 9 years, 4 months ago

Hate to draw attention away from the play on the field, but they need to go back to the block letter "KU" on the helmets and block numbers on the jerseys. Trajan sucks. At this point, I wouldn't mind going back to the dark blue jerseys, too. At least they looked hard-nosed and tough. The names need to go back on the jerseys. This will also help close the door on the Lew Perkins era.

kureader 9 years, 4 months ago

Hey Gill, colorful uniforms and names on jerseys doesn't seem to be hurting Oregon!

Maybe it's time to discard the "older-then-dirt" Bob Devaney-Joe Paterno uniform model? Maybe we should wear leather helmets, steel cleats, and reinstall natural grass?

greenworld 9 years, 4 months ago

Garbage men: KU receivers, corners talk trash — a lot....Remember this article, it was a before the season article about how the players fire one another up by talking trash. I got one question for you, are you still talking?? Easy to talk trash to your own teammates in practice but boys I think the lights have finally came on and its time for actions not words. Why dont you try bringing your "A" game instead of your get blown out game. Gill- You might as well start playing 2nd and 3rd string players and playing for next year cuz I dont think there would be to much difference from what you currently have out on the field.

HawkNVegas 9 years, 4 months ago

Next time right coach? Just like the Baylor head stomp? Just like the K-State back hand slap to an uppercut? Just like this weeks episode of Punk'd starring the KU Jayhawks? How come every time it's the next time, then the next time it's the next time. But at least spirits are high and they believe that they were only a few plays away from having a different result, a loss by 17 instead of 35? Having a simplistic tail tucking cowering coach brings you what, soft weak football players on a team full of star players that REAL FOOTBALL PROGRAMS DON'T WANT. We look like what we are, scared and small and weak, and loooooosers. Man up guys you ARE NOT AND NEVER WILL BE A POWERHOUSE IN THE BIG 12. You will always remind us how much we want Basketball to start come Big 12 play, next year will more than likely be the same thing come October and conference play.

KUFan445101 9 years, 4 months ago

Gill needs to stop moving players around. Moving Oguntodu who has been a leader on the defense (#44) to linebacker and then sitting him the entire game is a joke. Oguntodu has been at the top of the tackle stats list every week, and now he is a back-up linebacker. Makes no sense. Who is making these decisions? I hope the season gets better, I still have hope for the season. At the end of the day these kids are working hard and putting their heart into the game, let us all not forget that. Rock Chalk!

Michael Leiker 9 years, 4 months ago

Agreed entirely, I was excited to see Oguntodu moved to that position but I thought he would be playing. Freaking Dudley? I'm sure he's a nice kid but he is horrible, can't get through any blocks, slow to the ball, bad angles, weak at the point of attack. Oguntodu would improve the outside linebacker spot easily.

grandpa 9 years, 4 months ago

I have defended Gill in the past but no more. He and his crew are doing a very poor job coaching this team and it is going to hurt KU very much on recruiting. No good player is going to want to come to KU. A & M is a mediocre team and we had a good chance to beat them. Webb threw very bad passes to various receivers and then Pick came in and played poor. Sands is a very poor running back and he should be put on the bench along with the coach who keeps calling for him to run the ball on third and fourth downs.

100 9 years, 4 months ago

Unless one of you has 8 million bucks for a buyout, I don't see what we're accomplishing here by acting like a spoiled fanbase.

Let's be clear: in 2007 we were competitive in every single game & were one last second Aqib Talib TD runback & 2 point conversion from going to OT against Mizzou in the freezing rain.

Many of you disagreed with me back then, but I think now our blinders are off: I firmly believe due to coaching, gameplanning, our personnel & ultimately the way we handled VT, that we would have beaten OU in that championship game which would have propelled us to the BCS championship game.

At the end of the season we had the best record in college football & actually received a vote for #1 in the final poll.

Colin Cowheard (the Hurd) on ESPN radio gave us the final vote for number 1 over the air, although he didn't have a vote in the final poll.

The point here is that being competitive is important.

You guys think you can find a better deal, pile together 8 million. It's that simple.

But otherwise, maybe, just maybe, a coach who also got spanked a few times in his first year... Knew something.

Stay the course.

Give him time to build.

Let's face it we're all embarrassed.

But I'd also like to see what we can do with that line next year & a real running game.

Also what we can do when the players have more than a few weeks of practice with a brand new coach & staff.

We are really bad right now.

But we're not doing anything positive for our program by acting like spoiled fans.

So unless you have 8 million, maybe, just maybe, Gill & his staff's teams might actually look competitve next year after he has a full year under his belt.

Screw all the positive thinking.

We need to understand it's about technique & fundamentals & players & schemes.

Give the man a chance....

or....

pitch in 8 million & get some seats with your name on them.

Make a choice. One you do publically, the other you do privately.

KUFan445101 9 years, 4 months ago

100, not sure who you are, but you ROCK! Well said!

jayhawk2062 9 years, 4 months ago

I will pledge $100 toward the firing of Turner Gill. Just like political campaigns.....if everyone donates $50 or $100 we can get most of the money covered so that athletics department can afford to cover the rest........

And I AM serious. This is not a joke, unlike our football program, which once again....is.

JayhawkBigXII 9 years, 4 months ago

KU is hands down, the laughing stock of college football.

Gill had better volunteer a huge pay cut to save this program if he wants to be around next year. The empty stands cannot afford his huge $2 million salary. I think I am speaking for the vast majority of fans when I say this entire situation makes me want to puke.

Maracas 9 years, 4 months ago

Gill's getting his $10M whether he's around next year or not.

hailtoku 9 years, 4 months ago

Meanwhile the stands remain empty...

Its called an investment. Pay off Gill and hire someone worthy of the job. Win ball games, get fans, make a bowl game.

KU_FanSince75 9 years, 4 months ago

"It's been a tough three weeks," Tim Biere said. "But there's better days ahead."

Hell yeah----like KU Basketball, baby! November 2nd----yahoo!

Ashwin Rao 9 years, 4 months ago

Just hypothesizing here....

Legally, KU may not be able to fire Coach Gill without paying the 8Mil, but in reality, if people in Lawrence "really" wanted him to go and he decides to remain, then his life can get really uncomfortable for him in the small town. It will be interesting to see how this all turns out! It will depend on whether: 1) He can convince the fans that there is light at the end of the tunnel. (I "still" hope there is! I also hope that it is not like the inflatable kind (of tunnel) that refuses to come up before the games!) 2) He realizes that he is way over his head (can't even say "pay grade!" because 8 Mil should handle this!) and leaves on his own.

A lot will also depend on who we hire for an AD to see whether he/she can convince the people with the purse strings to release 8 Mil to buy out the contract!

Again, I am just hypothesizing... so don't consider this anything other than a mental exercise!

truefan 9 years, 4 months ago

Why does everyone forget that our defense was just as bad last year even though we had Stuckey and Tharp on the field?

You take those two players away from that defense and then you implement a new offense with a freshman QB, and minus the two best receivers. If Mangino and staff didn't have Reesing, Meier and Briscoe last season we would have lost to ISU, USM, and possibly Duke making us 2-10 or 3-10. The Mizzou game would have been a complete blow out. Remember that Texas Tech loss?..it would have been even worse. The close Colorado loss wouldn't have been close anymore. K-State would have rolled us.

Also, everyone conveniently forgets that Reesing tends to make OCs look like complete geniuses when he scrambles around for 10 seconds and then launches a perfect strike 30 yards down field off his back foot. I'm sorry, but QBs like Reesing aren't a dime a dozen and plays like that cannot be coached. Give Reesing to this staff and we'd be scoring right along with these other teams and we would have close wins or losses instead of blow outs.

In fact, if Webb doesn't get injured before that interception we could have gone in at the half 17-24 and the game looks completely different. We have a young team in a new system with a boatload of injuries to crucial players before the season started. OL should have been a plus, but Spikes is out for the season, and Thorson has battled a foot injury all season which made our one strength into a patchwork of youth and injuries.

We got yards last night, but young players tend to lead to turnovers and stalled drives and losing Webb after he finally got rolling didn't help our chances. Gill may not be our coach for long, but he has youth and inexperience at nearly every position on the field. If it still looks like this during year 3 of his tenure with a Junior QB, Junior RB and his own recruits on the field then it will be time for him to go. It will be a perfect situation for a new coach to come in after that. No expectations and nowhere to go but up.

Geekinout 9 years, 4 months ago

No identity. Sims not enough carries after early season breakout. Coaches don't motivate and still predictable. Offensive line out of shape, quits plays while still going on, and soft as always (#67 u are painful to watch). Offensive coordinator gives up on trying to establish some type of running game way too early. KU football fans are in exodus mode by half-time to drink sorrows away at Ricks Place (think of recruits that see this).

Saturday's real Game Balls go to: Good job Gill-way to earn your keep! Good job Chancellor-don't have to take a sociology class for that one, as a result this coaching staff will never change. Good job Lew and Mangino-They're probably eating pastrami sandwiches together somewhere saying to themselves they left the program better than they found it...?

Long live KU basketball, until we have to face a Missouri Valley team in the 1st or 2nd round of the Tourney.

hailtoku 9 years, 4 months ago

Ah yes, a "would've should've could've" post... always worth reading.

As far as the "if we look like this in 3 years" comment..

We don't have time for 3 years. Remember when our university was saved by Texas because of football? It was only last summer we were talking about the Mountain West because our football program was on the down turn. We don't have time to see if we look like this in 3 years. We need to win next Saturday. Not next year... next game.

TexasJayhawk78 9 years, 4 months ago

Wear any uniform you like; sing any song you like; don't talk to girls; get rid of your cell phone; don't say darnit; just give me a coach that can and will coach! Our team is fine, they run the plays called. The issue is the play calling. Or lack there of. How much longer do we have to put up with this?

Geekinout 9 years, 4 months ago

Hey! The black on the KU band uniforms gives them the slimming appearance. I remember the days when they actually wore only school colors and came on to the field from all the different sections of the stadium before the game. I miss Glen Mason...

kureader 9 years, 4 months ago

Actually, the band entrance was cool ... our band has shrunk, though, hasn't it? ... probably wouldn't have the same effect. I can't say I miss Glen Mason, though.

Geekinout 9 years, 4 months ago

Yes, even K-States band represented better than us. He, much like Gill, had to take over a horrid program. I think his overall record at KU would've been alright given a few more years before the alums ran him out of town. He did take Minnesota to 7 out of 10 bowl games in a tough Big 10 conference.

troutsee 9 years, 4 months ago

I agree with above poster that our defense was horrible last year. It still is. The blow out losses show us how important Reesing was to our team. We have a red shirt freshman QB who will be better next year. He's gutsy and was running for his life last night just like Reesing had to do last year. He has to learn to slide though or he is not going to finish his career. He does not throw the deep ball well and now has had two fade patterns intercepted in the end zone, negating potential scores. I really can't find anytthing to like about this team. Gill has his hands full and hopefully he and his staff can recruit in spite of our horrible performances. We are the Washington State of this season. WSU is more competitive this season so there is hope for us next yeat....maybe.

I left at half time last night. First time I have ever done that...even during the TA years.

Dave Coen 9 years, 4 months ago

This team is poorly coached. The evidence is overwhelming, numerous penalties, forced time-outs for having too few or too many players on the field etc, no ability to overcome adversity, incompetence on offence and defense, and finally, a team that is getting worse instead of better as the season progresses.
Until the last year, I was a big fan of Lou Perkins. However, after the scandals and a two million dollar a year, five year guaranteed contract to an unproven coach, the evidence proves Lou Perkins was incompetent.

Matt Gauntt 9 years, 4 months ago

Agree,

I was so disappointed watching (for a while) yesterday. They couldn't tackle. I'm not sure how many times I saw players trying arm tackles instead of a good, fundamental tackle. It makes me wonder how the team is practicing. Are they essentially playing flag football in practice to make sure they are not so rough on the players (ode to Mangino) or are they actually letting the players hit hard and actually practice during practice?

The other thing that seems odd to me is the choice of coach. We go from Mangino who was a tough SOB to a coach that wants to be nicey-nicey. Mangino had individual competitions and encouraged individual achievement. Gill took the names off the uniforms so there is less emphasis on the individual.

Did we swing way too far in coaching philosophy which confused the players?

Jack Wilson 9 years, 4 months ago

jayhawk1956 .. I could not have said it any better.

I love fat, mean coaches.

caribhawk 9 years, 4 months ago

I do believe the kids are doing what they can, but they have limited talent, little motivation, and get absolutely no help from this coaching staff. Its the bad teams that really benefit from good coaching, and we're not getting that. I think Webb is doing his best, but if he has the best arm on the squad we are really hurting at QB. He lofted the ball to a wide open Biere in the end zone from 16 yards away and nearly under-threw it in the 2nd quarter. He has no touch and his passes constantly get knocked down whether he is in the pocket or outside the pocket...he just can't find passing lanes, something that a smaller Reesing had a knack of doing. Why can't KU recruit a QB over 6'0 tall! Plus, I have very little confidence that TG has the best players on the field at the correct positions. I wouldn't mind giving Pick a second chance if we can get him healthy, maybe 3rd stringer Quinn will turn out to the be the best QB...OK, a guy can dream can't he! I say we hire Leach, Mangino and Leavitt...the Terrible Three, ha!

Kenny Nall 9 years, 4 months ago

10 points is better than 7 so we're on the right track.

Lance Cheney 9 years, 4 months ago

True that. At this rate, we might be able to score 14 points in a game by the end of the season.

2xhawk 9 years, 4 months ago

let's make them change the nickname as long as Gill is here. How about the "Woody Allens"?

KSseahawk 9 years, 4 months ago

He was a bad hire and has a bad contract and the man responsible for that left a year early. I'm sure he doesn't want to stick around to endure the wrath of his horrible hire. That said, does the Chancellor have final say over HCTGs contract?

At the end of the day folks, we have to stick with him the rest of this year and likely next (heck, we're paying him anyway), because KU football is barely relevent and hardly on a national level. If we start getting rid of coaches after one year, nobody will want to come here. Turner is NOT a D1 coach, but since the university made the (albeit horrible) decision to hire him, we must give him a chance.

There has been no improvement at any aspect of the game and frankly I would argue we are far worse now than we were at the beginning of the sesason. It's almost like the players are not conditioned to play a full 60 minutes and expect that they are going lose. He is a disaster and a joke of a head coach and his staff and team are lost. Unfortunately, we have to live with the terrible decision that was made by Lew.

Think of the amount of money that we paid Mangino (never disclosed...), what we're paying Turner and what Lew's expense account was worth and what we've got out of it: 2 wins in the last 14 games and outscored 159-24 in the last three.

KU, I'd like to get paid a lot for doing nothing...seems to be a trend in that cluster F of an Athletics Department.

Thank what is good for HCBS...If I were him, I'd be furious right about now.

Rock Chalk?!?

"Is there anybody in there.....just nod if you can hear me...is there anyone home?"

Chris Bailey 9 years, 4 months ago

Does anyone find it funny that in our 5 losses we have a combined score of 43 points? We, most likely, will not score 50 points in Big 12 play this season either! If we do we are gonna need some real help for the second teams of our next 5 opponents. This team is really bad! I'm tired of hearing all the touchy feely crap from the players during interviews. Let's light a fire under these kids rears! I mean heck we could pull players from the student body and lose! Come on Gill! Let's have some accountability!