Monday, October 11, 2010

KU men’s, women’s basketball will wear new uniforms in 2010-11

Kansas University will unveil new uniforms in 2010.

Kansas University will unveil new uniforms in 2010.

photo

Kansas University will unveil new uniforms in 2010.

photo

Kansas University will unveil new uniforms in 2010.

Kansas University's men's and women's basketball uniforms will have a new look for the 2010-11 season, KU announced Monday.

Designed and developed by adidas, the Revolution 30 uniforms are 30 percent lighter and dry twice as fast as previous uniforms, helping enhance player performance by keeping athletes cooler, drier and more comfortable on the court. All 30 NBA teams will wear the new uniforms beginning this season, as will select college teams whose uniforms are provided by adidas.

KU’s Trajan font will continue to be the lettering for the women’s and men’s basketball jerseys, a look the KU fans have grown accustomed to since the 2007-08 season.

This ensures all uniforms used in NCAA basketball competition are in compliance with NCAA rules and provides manufacturers and the NCAA with a logo mark. For the 2010-11 season, the NCAA logo program is voluntary. Participation in the program allows the manufacturer, like adidas for Kansas, to place its logo on the game jersey, which had not been allowed by NCAA playing rules.

The new uniforms, which are made from 60 percent recycled materials, feature adidas’ Formotion technology, which reduces seams, decreases friction between the garment and the player’s skin and optimizes the player’s natural movement through specially constructed material. adidas reduced uniform weight and increased player comfort by switching front and back numbers from heavier, dense materials to breathable mesh.

Comments

Tony Bandle 9 years, 7 months ago

The NCAA is right on the ball, making sure that no one cheats by using a lighter material thus allowing a player that extra, illegal 1/8" of jumping height while dragging their feet on dozens of players left in eligibility purgatory!!

Tony Bandle 9 years, 7 months ago

PS Did Mario shrink or is that a really tall Lady Jayhawk??

foghawk 9 years, 7 months ago

She's gotta be standing on something for the photo....

jayhawk2062 9 years, 7 months ago

They're about the same height actually. Carolyn's very tall!

killabees 9 years, 7 months ago

I'm glad that the new uniforms feature a more breathable mesh instead of heavier dense materials.

JHawkEddy 9 years, 7 months ago

Cool design, but bring back the old font!

Matt Bowers 9 years, 7 months ago

I love the trajan font, it is unique and distinctly Kansas.

Rock Chalk

shelleysue 9 years, 7 months ago

Trajan font is far from unique. The font has been around for decades and this style of font forever. Even the University of Bologna uses it. (this is true)

Chris Bruning 9 years, 7 months ago

Perry Ellis is on an official visit Jan. 29 to see KSU vs. KU (college gameday) and to witness Wayne Simien's jersey hanging......is it just me or is this a recipe for a knockout to get him? its not very often recruits come to the games where its extra loud and big time rivals. i'd say this will land KU perry ellis

Jeff Coffman 9 years, 7 months ago

I think you just forgot that with the new breathable uniforms, that will seal the deal for Perry Ellis.

Martin Rosenblum 9 years, 7 months ago

RCJ -

I think you're commenting on a different article. Unless, Perry Ellis has a fetish for breathable mesh and faster drying time for uniforms, that is! He might, his name IS Perry Ellis after all!

REHawk 9 years, 7 months ago

As an in-state Kansas high school recruit, that date makes sense for Perry. He gets a chance to attend GameDay, view both KU and K State, and not mess with his high school attendance, as the game date is a Saturday. He appears to be a dandy catch for the likes of a Bill Self program.

Ted Toulouse 9 years, 7 months ago

Unless adidas decides to provide them, there's not a chance. It was a major fund raising effort and it will be another 30-40 years before they wear out enough to replace the lot of them. Feel free to donate to the band's general fund to push your cause though

r1ck_jayhawk 9 years, 7 months ago

Ted, you just don't care as much because the drum major uniforms weren't affected! I am glad I got out before they got the high school band uniforms! If your band members can't march in step, get rid of the band member! Be exclusionary, don't cover it up by wearing black pants (without a stripe) and black shoes. Make an altercation! Take 'em out back and beat h*ll out of 'em!

BOSSMAN1 9 years, 7 months ago

Our black band uniform pants are hideous!!!

murph 9 years, 7 months ago

You are SO right!! The colors in the old band uniforms looked incredibly good. Whoever came up with changing to this ugly black (Mizzou's color, by the way, NOT ours!!) is, quite simply, crazy.

Selbyville 9 years, 7 months ago

Those are dope! I've been counting down to the expiration of our contract with adidas hoping that we go back to Nike. I still hold that idea, but these are very nice.

Kansas Basketball is about to get real. I fully believe that we will win the title this year, and I don't think it will be close.

waywardJay 9 years, 7 months ago

Nike is for the ACC, I hope we stick with Adidas.

OCJHAWK 9 years, 7 months ago

Nike is for Oregon first and foremost.

waywardJay 9 years, 7 months ago

True, but let's be honest.... Having Nike University mascoted witha bizarre ripoff of donald duck just shows Oregon is Commercial U.pretty soon they will have a huge Swoosh in Green and Black as their mascot. Surprised Papa John's sold out to Louisville instead of Oregon.

The Unis that Nike Cares about Are UNC, Duke and Kentucky and to a significantly lesser step... Florida and Ohio State since both teams have gone from sub-elite to rotating elite.

Surprisingly, Kansas and UCLA are both Adidas schools.

Bryan Anderson 9 years, 7 months ago

Adidas gives shoes and uniforms to all the teams, while Nike charged the non-revenue sports for their shoes. So, I'm cool with them sticking with Adidas.

KUFan90 9 years, 7 months ago

"Additionally, an NCAA patch will be on the uniforms, indicating they have been approved for competition."

I hope they slap one of these patches on Selby soon...

rockemchalkemrobots 9 years, 7 months ago

This comment is rockemchalkemrobots approved.

rockemchalkemrobots 9 years, 7 months ago

This comment is rockemchalkemrobots approved.

waywardJay 9 years, 7 months ago

About two years behind Nike on the performance Jersey's but frankly, those Nike looks are horrid. Love the new Adidas Jersey so far, will be more interesting to see it worn on the court though.

I love the little marketing tag on the back, for those who are getting a quick glimpse at the game not only can you see Mario Little's number Name you also can identify who the team is..... ( i know we should be able to tell with blurred vision but for the SEC fan wondering who that Speedy player was who just burned them on defense that was ..... #10 Taylor from Kansas, D*** SHould have gone there !

Gordon Penny 9 years, 7 months ago

I am not sure I am "accustomed" to the Trajan font. I like the old font for the jerseys ... the old one was much, much classier, and much much more KU.

Martin Rosenblum 9 years, 7 months ago

Are we to assume that the shorts will not be affected by any changes? Or, will they also be pimping Addidas?

Maybe they'll be allowed to sell space on the butts of the shorts for the likes of advertisers like LJW or Starbucks, for example. Or, how about a "help wanted" ad for a new AD?

jaybate 9 years, 7 months ago

"Some Things They Won't Tell You about the New Unies"

~These are the first of a new generation of uniforms Addidas developed jointly with the NSA.

~The new uniforms combine Addidas new ultralight fiber with an NSA fiber optic/short wave conducting thread that effectively allows NSA to monitor these players when they wear them.

~The uniforms enable real time CT scans of the players.

~The uniforms allow constant monitoring for illegal substances.

~The uniforms enable rudimentary mind control commands, like "Dunk now, fool!" or "ESPN needs a high light, so pot the triceratop from 30' this time!" or "Miss this shot to help the intel-gaming-industrial complex make a killing on the spread!"

~Republican dirty tricksters have learned how to hack into the uniforms and change players votes to Sarah Palin.

(Note: All fiction. No malice. I can't see enough of the new uniforms to know if they are progress, regress, or nogress.)

jaybate 9 years, 7 months ago

P.S.: Show us what the red ones look like. And let the red be crimson. No washed out reds.

SCHNBALL 9 years, 7 months ago

Jbate, I kind of worry that Self compares teams to the "championship" team, each team is so different each and every year, almost like comparing old girl friends to your wife, serves no purpose and can only get you in trouble. Leave the comparing to the fans and the websites. While I think this team is somewhat similiar the '08 team, I think we lack the inside game of that squad, I hope that we open the court up a bit more on both offense and defense. I think this team will struggle early in the year on the defensive end, but I think this team has the chemistry that last years team did not seem to have in the end. The wild card for me is Tyshawn. I could see him being a great asset and I can see him on the bench by mid year, I think we have that much talent at the guard positon.

Woody Cragg 9 years, 7 months ago

WTF! Please write a legit story! I know you can do it, JB's gotta say something--anything! Please give him something, PLEASE!

Brandon Winkler 9 years, 7 months ago

good to see their names are still on the jerseys. glad self hasnt been brain washed by the football program.

Benjamin Piehler 9 years, 7 months ago

sometimes i get annoyed b/c teams with Nike sponsors seem to get the coolest uniforms. i know most sports puritans wont care; but last years border war, for example, mizzou totally upstaged us in that department. Id rather just win of course.

anyway the "shimmer" of the numbers on the home jerseys look pretty cool.

bulldawgs 9 years, 7 months ago

The uniforms look good. Where is the American Flag that has been there for the last decade? Is the NCAA so powerful that they have now eclipsed the USA and their logo is more important that the American Flag?

Matt Kenton 9 years, 7 months ago

I'm glad they finally took it off after adding it (along with just about every other team in the country) after 9/11. Hey, I love America, I just don't think we have to have Old Glory on the front of our jerseys. Every team we play is American too.

KU_FanSince75 9 years, 7 months ago

Unis look great. It has become a scientific affair, with the lighter material, giving players that cooler and drier feel. And, the names are on the back of the jerseys----if only Coach Gill could catch a hint. . . . .

In regard to Perry Ellis-----I attended a Greater City League Football Game earlier this year in which Wichita Heights was playing Wichita Northwest. I was told by a someone that works in the Wichita School District that Perry Ellis most likely would go to KU. Knowing now that he will be at the January 29 Game Day VS K-State should seal the deal. Rock Chalk!

BewareofthePhunk 9 years, 7 months ago

I like KU being sponsored by adidas, much classier than Nike for sure. Seems like the teams I dislike the most are all with Nike...mizzou, K-State, UK, UNC, Duke...

Love the new uniforms. I believe if it aint broke dont fix 'em but after last year's disappointing conclusion something needed to be tweeked to get that farokhmaneshin' taste out of my mouth. We're entering a new wave of athleticism at KU and we dont need no stinkin' heavy, dense materials weighing us down. '08 was great and I think in twenty-eleven the Jayhawks will be back in Naismith's heaven.

Baby, baby I got that feelin'...unh that Selby's getting freed to jump out that ceiling...unh

JayCeph 9 years, 7 months ago

farokhmaneshin'... priceless!

(I'm still laughing! - whew)

Jaminrawk 9 years, 7 months ago

My two favorite jerseys are the ones they wore in 1988 and 2008. Otherwise I don't really recall them.

Phoggin_Loud 9 years, 7 months ago

Does anyone remember those 1-piece wrestling singlets that Indiana wore about 15 years ago??

Glad to see that those hideous things never caught on.

I think Reed's vertical just increased another inch with these new uni's...especially with the breathable mesh numbers.

David Leathers 9 years, 7 months ago

Is there anywhere that someone could buy an authentic college jersey? I've looked everywhere and they are all replica's in college. Is there a reason for that?

Jack Wilson 9 years, 7 months ago

I think we're all missing the point here .. do new uniforms really matter without Selby?

Ron Prichard 9 years, 7 months ago

Love the new uniforms. Frankly, I love that we have Adidas. I have never been a Nike fan. Totally a personal opinion based on the fact that my Adidas shoes just seem to fit better (and not fall apart as quickly).

I'm surprised people still are opposed to the trajan font. I like it.

Did I just waste two minutes of my life commenting on this? Man, it's a slow day.

Tom Wilson 9 years, 7 months ago

It must have taken the NCAA 8 years to finally approve the material. Hopefully, by the year 2018, the NCAA will render a decision regarding Josh Selby's eligibility to play college ball. Par for the course. Every day that goes by, in my mind, that the NCAA delays a decision on Selby (and others) diminishes the organization's credibility. Accountability in making timely and accurate decisions is obviously void in all the resumes and job descriptions of NCAA employees.

Bruce Dial 9 years, 7 months ago

This remark is ludicrous! You obviously have no idea as to how extensive and exhaustive we here at the NCAA administrative offices must be when making a decision such as a college player's eligibility. Mr. Selby is a fine young talent, committed to a historic program. Therefore, it is our duty to make him twist in the wind and wring his hands while we sit on ours.

At some point in the perhaps foreseeable future, I will enlighten you with all of the details. As is the case with all of our highly important work here at the NCAA, Mr. Selby's eligibility has been assigned a priority and corresponding urgency. Just rest assured that we do our due diligence and make sure all of our work and research is comprehensive. As soon as I finish this email, I'll

capnwacky 9 years, 7 months ago

I wish they would bring back the wool unis.

LAJayhawk 9 years, 7 months ago

I wish people would stop b*#%ching about the names on the football jerseys. It's like a constipated German Shepard. Just eat some grass and let it go.......

Bruce Dial 9 years, 7 months ago

What's like a constipated German Shepard? The unis or the complaining?

Tony Bandle 9 years, 7 months ago

AAHHHHH........the movie, "Hoosiers".....now there were some uniforms!!

Maybe we could go retro and have a "Chip Hilton"* night and all the players wear '50's outfits kind of like the baseball and football pro teams have "Retro Games".

• For everyone under the age of 40, Chip Hilton was a series of books written by the Hall of Fame college coach Clair Bee, from 1948 thru 1960. Chip was an All-American good at everything, but he was even a better person and a true American.

The girls had Nancy Drew and we boys had Chip. My guess is few of you have even heard of him, Speed Morris, Soapy Smith and all his teammates, but before computors, ESPN, multiple TV Sports broadcastws, etc. it was something special.

slowplay 9 years, 7 months ago

I still have my Chip Hilton books (and the Hardy Boys). The uniforms back then were wool. I remember mine from Jr. High ( JV hand-me downs). You had to wear a t-shirt or your nipples would be rubbed raw. Throw in some Chuck Taylor white high tops and a Wilson "Jet" leather basketball and your all set.

BewareofthePhunk 9 years, 7 months ago

Rumor has it Chip Hilton is Tyrel Reed's uncle, even plays a mean banjo from what I've heard...

bradynsdad 9 years, 7 months ago

lajayhawk i agree. who cares about the names not on the jerseys, everyone knows coaches do that to get players to stop thinking about themselves. also its not like anyone can buy an authentic jersey with a players name on it anyway. i dont think there are any heissman voters out there wanting to know the names of our players. I am not putting down our players either, i do believe they will be legit in two to three years.

jaybate 9 years, 7 months ago

(Author's Note: New Longest Post, Use the End Key and Scroll Page Up to Effortlessly Miss It) :-)

SCHN,

I share that concern a bit, as I posted on another thread with Thomas Pynchon's Gravity's Rainbow-like length and in John Fowles' The Aristos-like form with The Three Stooges Doctor in the House-like insight.

(Author's note: "Calling Dr.Howard, Dr. Fein, Dr. Howard.")

But you and I and others forget sometimes that Coach Self is an emotional man and a builder of programs with a sense of legacy, not just a smooth man at PR, an Xs and Os task master with a flair for "play it any way they want and take what they give us," and a just plain terrific basketball coach.

Self wants the students behind him and his players. Talking rings is part of how he energizes them and keeps them in the tent, as Oral Roberts might have put it.

Since Self's late teens, Self has apparently spent much of his life on college campuses around students. So: they are for him a base...and a reality check. Though perhaps in awe, the students don't lie to him, like alums and reporters do. The students aren't vying for access like reporters and for sundry favors as many alums are.

The students are in a rich, intensely social environment and have many things to do. They don't suck up unless they really like you. In fact, they are at an age that is inherently rebellious about authority figures and, so, if Self can get them to like him, he probably figures that is one strong indicator that he is remains on the right track.

jaybate 9 years, 7 months ago

The students are so young they don't have many biases about Self and his players. They see how good the players dress. They see the cars they drive. They know how well they eat. They know there are two grading scales in the big lecture classes--one for real students pursuing serious degrees, and one for students (many of whom just happen to be players) on a Phys. Ed. track, or a nebulous general studies track. They know these guys get on TV and meet the super stars of sport. They know these guys sometimes get to travel to exotic places and stay in nice hotels. They know these guys have some of the best looking babes on their arms at parties and that even the most seemingly unattainable women, do, with the right mix blood alchohol levels and hormonal cycles, begin to throw themselves on these guys occasionally at parties. They know these guys have tutors and paper writers and persons that shepherd them to classes and wake them up and see that they get their 3 squares of enviously good food. The students know all this, or at least the ones that care anything about basketball and make any effort at all to get to know the players, do.

But the students also know that these even with all the perks, the players are fragile, vulnerable young human beings with many of the same fears and joys the students have. And they know that these guys are really working and sweating and gutting it out every day. They can go to the gym in the off season and see how incredibly gifted these guys really are and see how hard they work at it and how much they sweat it. And they know the players get their hearts broken, and get tongue tied in class, and are home sick at times, just like they are.

For all their manifold differences, the students and the players are the same generation trying to swim up stream through the same bureaucratic waters.

And, as Self knows, each year is a new crop of students. After all these years, Self can probably read the students as barometers of interest in the program, as keenly as he reads levels of donations indicating the same about the alums.

If student interest wanes, if they aren't loving him and the players and the program enough to come to Late Night and to come sit in the cheap seats at the regular games, and to come to little pep talks like he just gave, then Self knows he has a problem brewing.

jaybate 9 years, 7 months ago

What makes the great arenas special are the students' levels of energy and love of coach, players and program. The alums and fans are just too sedentary to raise the roof on the field house and create the wacky stir that students bring effortlessly when truly engaged. If Self loses the students, he loses a cornerstone of The Legacy and so begins the eventual undoing of his own job, however long it may take.

My guess is that he sensed a little lack of energy in the students this year. He probably sensed, and likely rightly, some cynicism and doubt among the students. The students are inexorably realizing more all the time that they have been pushed into the cheap seats (and not just at the field house) for someone to make big money and now it has come out that they have in the process been pushed to the back of the bus, so to speak, so that a bunch of crooks could scam maybe tens of millions of dollars from the tickets that the students should have been sitting in all along.

My guess is Self instinctively knows he has to pump the students (and everyone else) up a little this season, because "the special team" left empty handed, and because the AD resigned in disgrace, and because the ticket scamming investigations are still not over.

jaybate 9 years, 7 months ago

And Self, like most public figures is a creature of his time in touch with his time. He probably senses the economy remains lousy for students to try to find jobs after graduation. He probably senses that the students antennae have picked up that the President vowed to close the torture prisons and has not done so, and that the President has vowed to end the involvement of USA troops in Iraq and Afghanistan and has not yet done so (regrettably, the longer these wars go on the closer the analogy to Viet Nam becomes), and...well, he probably senses the nation is subtlely entering another of those post-bungled war periods, where a national malaise creeps in and everyone begins trying to feel something other than pain again without really knowing how to do so constructively. And he might even notice, as the students probably do to, that the authoritarian demagogues and chicken hawks, only recently forced off the stage, are now clammering in the wings to get back on again, again by any means necessary. And the coach and students may notice on some level or another that the joy-stick warriors in the Pentagon and at the defense contractors are probably huddling up about now to try to understand what went wrong in the Middle East and how to restructure defense to guaranty military doesn't get played into another quagmire and the Pentagon budget doesn't shrink and another evil doer can be found to replace the last evil doer and so on.

Coaches and students are not stupid and they are not hermetically sealed in a mayo jar, as Johnny Carson used to say. They are part of what is going on in America, and what has been going on, and their moods are at least somewhat affected by it all.

But regardless, my guess is that Self knows his team needs the students behind them this season in a way that ordinary folks do not often appreciate.

jaybate 9 years, 7 months ago

Students are around his players every day. Part of his players growth as human beings and as players involves their incidental, but maturing experiences with students in classrooms and sidewalks on The Hill. The students are real people, about the only real people his players meet, especially during the season. Students, frankly, probably can do more to keep the players' "head's right," or screw them up, than just about anyone else.

Students are the only persons capable of both hugely admiring the players and treating them as equals.

If I may be earthy for a moment, each student is in a right of passage in terms of individual, intellectual and social experimentation that is as truly exciting to that student, as each player's basketball career is to him at this stage. So player and student share a very similar grandness of experience of the youthful odyssey that is college life.

So where is the earthy part, jaybate?

In college, partying, sex, substance experimentation, young love and the drudgery of study are the great equalizers--the shared currencies of the college existence that transcend and briefly break down all socio-economic barriers.

Once a player and a student stop talking about basketball and start talking about what party they were at last night, or about the good looking student in heat (or in rut, to aspire to sexual equivalence) walking down the sidewalk in front of Strong, or their hang-overs, or the great teacher they both had last semester, or the idiot graduate student that couldn't teach a Psych 101 lab section intelligibly, if his life depended on it, that player and that student are "human beings" trying to thread their ways through the same bureaucratic maze officially called The University of Kansas.

To see a player with his heavy coat buttoned and his collar up shouldering into winter wind and snow on his way up an icy side walk in January is to know, whatever other perks that jock has, you are all, at least, in the same big army.

It is common exposure to extreme, inclement weather, finally, that bonds students with its athletes, in ways that perpetuate legacies, if the W&L statement is also in order.

jaybate 9 years, 7 months ago

Note: If I were Coach Self, and I were trying to bolster student support, I would make sure my players were out in the worst weather trudging up that hill to class with the other students and bitching and complaining with the students about the weather. Then I would stand at the top of the hill, bundled up in my winter coat, with a bag of sand over my shoulder, looking down on these students and players trudging up and down the hill to class, and I would say like Patton to my assistant coach, freezing beside me, "God, I love these people. No other Legacy in the world could move from a hard fought double over time game and late night after parties and a morning practice, and mobilize in a winter offensive up this hill to try and stay eligible. College education. All other forms of human endeavor pale in comparison. C'mon, Joe, let's go spread some sand on those steps for these young men and women."

And then I would trudge down the hill exhorting these young men and women up these steps and I would kneel and pour the sand in front of them to help them get some traction, and show them that some one up above actually gave a damn about the sacrifices they were making daily to get better.

Roy Williams once reputedly came down out of Allen Field House on a cold night, when the students were camping out in that chill and brought them coffee and doughnuts, or something, or so the legend went. At this scale of human interaction, symbolic acts are real acts and vice versa. The student's learned the coach works late. The coach sees first hand what its like to camp out and support the team in the cold. A bond was made. Word of spread. It became legend. The legacy was regenerated yet again.

jaybate 9 years, 7 months ago

Word would spread like wildfire of Self and Dooley salting and sanding the steps for the students. The student body would move heaven and earth for Self and his team, even if it turns out to be a rebuilding year.

Self wants his players to be loved and respected by the students for the enormous time and physical sacrifices his D1 athletes must make to "get better," but he also wants students pulling for his players, not only at games, but on campus. He wants his players to have a chance to be with the students, as something other than "worshipped" jocks.

Self was a jock. He knows how cut off from students athletes can feel at times, and being the gregarious type, he knows how important some positive, authentic human contact can be for players. Going to help disabled children and the poor is good. But there is no substitute for relating to your own generation either.

Self has coached a long time now. He knows how special a national championship is for everyone. He knows how hard rings are to come by. He knows he could easily not win another one.

Last season he received the ultimate humbling as a coach. He failed to win a ring, when he had the most talented and experienced players of any coach in the country.

Self had to have taken a deep hit, but then he must take so many hits we don't see, or at least recognize and understand. He has to be a man of enormous resilience. Each recruit he comes close to landing and loses would knock me down a notch for several days. He seems to be able to dust off and get after it almost immediately. I don't know how he does it and still remain able to seem to care as much as he seems to.

Note: from my distance of removal from things, everything has to be stated as seems.

Self seems to be pumping himself up.

Self seems to be pumping the team up.

Self seems to be pumping the students up.

Self seems to be pumping us up.

jaybate 9 years, 7 months ago

Self seems in the moment. He seems to be there in the aftermath of the lost ring opp and the summer's scandals. He seems to sense something needs to be done, something needs to be revitalized. He seems to be reaching back to the '08 ring to try to revitalize things. It seems appropriate, albeit bearing the risk of encouraging persons to live in the past, rather than living in the present. But that is what the legacy is about. The past is not really the past. The past and present are both alive. They are both there to be tapped into.

Note: from here on, let me dispense with seems and know it is implied everywhere.

Self knows the legacy of KU.

Self knows that, while it is bigger than any one of us, it does not run on its own. It runs on the intense commitment to excellence of many, many persons, and especially on that from its cornerstones--its Chancellor, teachers, AD, fund raisers, fund givers, coaching staff, the players and students.

But it is the head basketball coach that is the explosive energy in the cylinder that drives the piston that turns the crankshaft and keeps the legacy's wheels driving forward at any given time.

Men like Self work for many reasons--getting better, money, accomplishment, providing for family security, legacy stature, etc.

Self knows one ring guaranties him of no more hallowed place at KU than it has Larry Brown, which is, frankly, minor.

Self knows the suit of legacy has many points of fit.

jaybate 9 years, 7 months ago

Self knows the Naismiths, Allens and Williams left their marks in many ways, not just in rings (neither Naismith, nor Williams even won rings), but that you have to keep aiming for the ultimate goal of championships. The pursuit of championships is a duly constituted part of the game, as surely as keeping score is, too. To coach, to play, to sit in the field house and cheer, to give money, to raise money, to recruit, to cheer, you have to keep 'believing" a ring is possible, no matter what, and especially when no one else does.

"Believe."--Bill Self to players with KU several points down with little time to go in the 2008 ring game

Self knows the legacy will measure him in terms of all that he does for the legacy, not just the rings, but that the rings are one of the measures.

To get more, he's got to maintain what momentum of excellence he has built so far and build on that. Only fools keep rebuilding from the foundation, but only fools ignore that the foundation needs maintenance from time to time.

The students are one cornerstone of what he has inherited and built upon so far and, during his tenure, they have made the greatest sacrifice of all for the program IMHO.

They have taken the cheap seats, when they once had the best seats. They still deserve the best seats, but they have taken the worst seats, and kept coming, so that the program could raise the kind of money required, when it has to pay Self the kind of money it pays him, that affords him the kind of 24,000 sf house he lives in, and has to underwrite the kind of infrastructure Self has said was necessary for Self to carry on The Legacy and pursue rings on the way.

The kids have taken the cheap seats for Bill Self in order to help The Legacy continue--in order to let him live in the style to which he has grown accustomed to. Some alums have had to sacrifice, too, but "all" the students had to. It was a class thing. Alums that were bucks up and willing to spend actually got better seats. But all the students bent over and continue to bend over, for the good of The Legacy.

KU is for the time being, for better or worse, operating on the Oral Roberts Model. The flock--the students--sacrifices for the benevolent spiritual leader, so that he can have big houses, fine clothes, and nice cars. Wealth, the flock is supposed to accept, is good and an affluent spiritual leader doing many good things for the group in the here and now is supposed to justify this sort of relationship.

jaybate 9 years, 7 months ago

Dang right Self better be meeting with the students and pumping them up.

This is a cruel, lousy job market these kids are facing, once they pay the exorbitant tuitions they must pay to even get a crack at the few jobs that are available, after they have set in the cheap seats for Coach Self and his house and The Legacy.

I believe we will know one day, when true prosperity has returned.

The students will again be in the best seats...where they ought to be.

Screw this Great Stagflation that the lying politicians and economists schilling for votes and grants and academic jobs from the private oligarchy in its public and private institutions that funds them both have avoided calling by its rightful name from the beginning.

Shame on these lying politicians and economists for giving our children the shaft of a declining standard of living and no plan for broad, sustained economic growth and job creation, for not admitting to any of it, and for saying a depression that never existed--it was and remains a Great Stagflation--is over, when it has simply been normalized into a new equilibrium, one defended by an entire battery of statistical measures reindexed to mask the stolen standard of living and the unwillingness of the private oligarchy to commit to rebuilding America to broad prosperity of the kind that supports republics, rather than leaves America vulnerable to the creeping blight of de-representative government and increasing concentration of power in the hands of private oligarchy.

Shame, shame, shame!

Rock Chalk!

Tony Bandle 9 years, 7 months ago

WOW!!!

A 10 Grail posting!!!

C'mon, kushaw, the gaunlet has been thrown!!!

SCHNBALL 9 years, 7 months ago

Oak, Jay, prediction on Tyshawn for the year?

Tony Bandle 9 years, 7 months ago

SCHNBALL......grown-up, getting it done, going for gold!!!

I think he will surprise us all!

waywardJay 9 years, 7 months ago

not me Oak... COunt me in the club convinced he will be a champion by the time he advances....

KU_FanSince75 9 years, 7 months ago

Geeze, Jaybate----I read all of your posts in two minutes-----has to be a personal record!!!!!!!

Oak---sorry about your vaulted Rams last Sunday----Chiefs didn't fare so well, either.