Thursday, October 7, 2010

After effects: KU, Tech, USF moving forward

Within a five-week span, three coaches — Kansas’ Mark Mangino, South Florida’s Jim Leavitt and Texas Tech’s Mike Leach — were out after allegations of misconduct and were replaced by kinder, gentler Turner Gill, Skip Holtz and Tommy Tuberville.

“Only the person who has experienced light and darkness, war and peace, rise and fall, has truly experienced life.” — Stefan Zweig

There was a time, not long ago, when the football programs at Kansas University, Texas Tech University and the University of South Florida lived only the positive side of that saying and led charmed lives just a step below the bluebloods of college football.

Sure, each dealt with losses from time to time, but, overall, the programs were relevant, the wins came with regularity, and each had a strong leader in place as its head football coach.

Together, Mark Mangino (KU), Mike Leach (Tech) and Jim Leavitt led their teams to 228 total victories, an overall winning percentage of .606, 19 bowl appearances and 11 bowl victories in 31 seasons.

The lasting legacy for each, however, might have been the way he left his school, not what he did while he was there. Less than 10 months ago, and just five weeks apart, each coach was ousted for alleged misconduct, both of the physical and mental variety.

In some cases, the execution was swift. Prior to Texas Tech’s appearance in the 2009 Alamo Bowl, Leach was suspended for two days and then fired on Day 3. Mangino and Leavitt — both descendants of the Bill Snyder coaching tree — fell after lengthy investigations, with Mangino resigning on Dec. 3 (to the tune of a $3 million buyout) and Leavitt being fired on Jan. 8.

Though their removals sent mixed emotions roaring through the communities of Lawrence, Lubbock and Tampa, each university acted quickly to bring in a replacement, someone who, through a bright smile and high integrity, could get rid of the pain associated with the scandals; someone who, if given a chance, would strive to erase the stain left on the programs.

At Kansas, that someone was Turner Gill, an up-and-coming star in the coaching world who led a miracle turnaround at the University of Buffalo and was a candidate for several big-time jobs prior to signing on the dotted line at Kansas. At South Florida, Skip Holtz, the former East Carolina head coach and son of legend Lou Holtz, was deemed the right man for the job. And at Texas Tech, former SEC star Tommy Tuberville was given the chance to return to the limelight and restore the Red Raiders image in the process.

Fast-forward a few months, and not all is forgotten. However, many of the details are beginning to fade.

South Florida is off to a 3-1 start and sits atop the Big East standings.

Texas Tech is 2-2 overall (0-1 in the Big 12).

And the Jayhawks, 2-3 overall and 0-1 in the conference, have been up and down.

While each coach is starting to settle in to his new surroundings, all three acknowledge that there’s still a lot of work to be done.

“When you’re coming into a program, you’re trying to have people adjust to how you want things done,” Gill said. “It’s a whole environment, and everybody has to adjust. It takes time. And I understand that. I understood that when I went to Buffalo. Obviously, we’d all love to have it happen as fast as possible, but it’s going to take some time, and we’re just going to keep on working.”

Such soundbites have defined the Gill era thus far, giving hope to some and ammunition to others. Regardless of how he has been received, Gill plans to stay on the path he knows can work.

“I’m going to coach my butt off to try make sure our players play well every single football game and to try to get them to win every single game,” he said. “But that doesn’t change if you’re at a school for one year or 10 years.”

Change was the goal for all three men asked to bring a softer, gentler approach than their predecessors had to their new programs. Gill and Holtz kicked off the metamorphosis in a similar manner.

“I don’t think you can get the pulse of a team by talking to the team as a group,” Holtz said. “What I did when I first got here was I met with every player on the team individually, and then I had a questionnaire of all the questions that I wanted to ask them. I wanted to give them a stage to talk. I wanted to give them a chance to be able to voice their opinions and what they thought of the program and where we were and some of the things that we needed to do.”

Sound familiar? It should. Gill also conducted individual meetings with his new players and passed out a mandatory questionnaire upon his arrival at Kansas. Neither coach is naive enough to believe that a few 15-minute meetings would fix everything. But both saw the step as a vital part of the healing process.

“When we first came in here, there was a lot of hurt,” Holtz said. “There were a lot of questions, and I think this team was somewhat divided on the direction the university went, and they needed some leadership. They needed to be pulled back together.”

There is no blueprint for how to inherit a program which had fired the previous coach for being too tough.

The “Coaching Football for Dummies” book does not have a chapter that covers that.

Holtz, Tuberville and Gill have done their best to co-author a few guidelines, but each said remaining true to his own philosophy was the key.

“I think you coach your personality, and you can’t try and be somebody you’re not,” Holtz said. “If you sit down and try to run the program the right way, then you have a chance. As I told them when I came in here, ‘I chose you, I chose to come here, this is where I want to be. You didn’t choose me, and I understand that.’ So my job as the head coach was to win them over and sell them on our program and how they fit into it.”

Added Tuberville: “My philosophy is be structured, do things on time, play as a team. I do know a little about how it was, but (we’re not) to the point where it’s totally different. There’s not a lot of change. I meet each week with the seniors to make sure we’re not wearing ’em out in practice, and we got our legs on Saturdays, that we’re having fun and those types of things. Everything in those areas is great.

“What we’re doing is we’re trying to take a situation and make the best out of it until we get all the parts to the puzzle put together.”

Like Gill and Holtz, Tuberville is eager to see his new program take shape. And all three coach every day — as memories of the past are pushed aside for traditions for the future — train one eye on the big picture and another on the present.

“We’re not looking forward to next year,” he said. “We want it to be done now. I want these guys to have a chance to win some games, and if they keep working like they’ve been working I think we will.”

While the early ups and downs, subtle steps forward and rocky falls back have taken their toll on some, Gill has chosen to remain positive, even in the face of negativity. To him, the good and bad of it all are part of the experience.

“Obviously, I’m not very happy, and I’m disappointed when we don’t win games and we don’t play well,” he said. “I’m just like any other human being. I do have those emotions. But I understand what I’m here to do, and I’m here to develop these young men to play the game of football to the fullest of their levels. It’s a process and a journey. I’m still confident and still glad that I’m at the University of Kansas, and we’re looking forward to continuing to build this program and do it the right way.”

Comments

Chris Bruning 9 years, 6 months ago

combined 60%. whoopty Frickin doo. that sucks....glad that mangina is gone....gill will turn it back around the right way......

belkins 9 years, 5 months ago

Mangino was one of the best things that happened to KU and the athletic director and others who were too into politics made a huge mistake. KU has returned to the style of play that it had before Mangino, which is too sad. KU was finally able to stand tall and proud, now being 2-3 with no conference wins is just pitiful. Coaches with winning records should be allowed to coach and do their jobs not have to play politics to brown nosing A.D.s who don't know coaching or else they would be doing the job.

tjayk82 9 years, 5 months ago

Are you serious ? How long have you been following KU football ? Were you around in the days of one to four win seasons and average attendance around 10,000 -15,000 ? That represents the majority of KU football history, by the way. I've lived and tolerated that crap. If you didnt know that....read up. Mangino elevated a bunch of havenots, by taking risks, shaking things up, moving guys around, grabbing a bunch of "mommys boys" and demanding discipline, effort and commitment every day....period. That's how lower level sports programs and businesses pull themselves from anonymity into the light. I have nothing against Gill. He might be a .450 or .500 coach at the end of his short career here, but I doubt he'll ever give Jayhawk fans that glimmer of hope of being a real football program. I hope he is hugely successful. Mangino is a program builder and will repeat his performance wherever he lands nexts....just like Bill Snyder was...and is.....unfortunately. It kills me to admit that. We had a chance to live in the light and have a program. That's gone. Open your eyes.

mtdewjunkie 9 years, 5 months ago

mangino was good. not close to what snyder did at k-state. not close. please dont try to compare it. 07 was great, mangino deserves a lot of credit...but he wasnt exactly turning us into a national power...a better comparison would be glen mason.

John Randall 9 years, 5 months ago

How is it that you were so pleased with a .500 record under Mangino, yet think that would be failure for a new coach? In a completely random world, three bowls in seven years (twice by the skin of our teeth) is what would be expected.

Without the lightning-in-a-bottle of 2007, a coaching change would have happened earlier.

The 'majority' of KU football history has been mediocre, not uniformly pathetic the way K-St was for 50 years before Snyder. An all-time record of +20 hardly compares with -150. Without the non-con cupcakes, neither Snyder nor Mangino would have qualified for more than one bowl game.

Which eye do you keep open while living in what you call 'the light' ? Or are they both half closed?

Funhawk 9 years, 6 months ago

Then why is the "University of Kansas" not called UK?

Kevin Kelly 9 years, 6 months ago

The University of Nebraska is called NU all the time and as far as I know no one asks them why they don't call themselves UN. Its called use the name that is on the sign when using the full name. There is a UK....there is a KU....there is a University of Kansas....there is No Kansas University.

Ben Kliewer 9 years, 5 months ago

Actually, the folks up in Nebraska generally call the school UNL, meaning University of Nebraska at Lincoln, so as not to confuse it with UNO (Omaha) and UNK (Kearney). So, technically, they do refer to, what I'll call Nebraska Proper (for clarity) as "UN"L. Kansas, conversely, is called both the University of Kansas, as well as Kansas University. Both are proper terms for the institution. But because Kentucky and the United Kingdom are already called "UK," we in Kansas (I say that figuratively, because I moved to the West Coast) took the much more pleasant and awesome "KU" as the acronym for our school.

Matt Tait 9 years, 5 months ago

We also have a style guide and ours indicates that the initials KU stand for Kansas University. It falls in line with the Associated Press style, which is what nearly all journalists follow.

Thanks for reading!!!

100 9 years, 5 months ago

Hey Matt,

That's what I presumed too. It's a matter of saving words, quicker reads, saving ink in the old days & even now....

A question, first with a preface -- it is quite apparent that fans of other schools have been attacking our boards essentially since the day Xavier Henry began thinking about coming here. Most do it to "pretend to be us" & stir things up. Freedom of speech is great, but lets keep in mind people whose religion would be throwing things at an American president probably shouldn't be allowed in the White House. My question is: Has the LJW thought about how to handle the obvious "false opinions, lies & fake drama" that goes on these sites? Said another way, isn't it the LJW's job to report the news & allow legitimate reader opinions?

If so, why does LJW allow all of the faulty/untrue postings?

Surely in meetings you guys have spoken of a solution; have you?

Thanks in advance.

tjayk82 9 years, 5 months ago

Really ? Anyone that can care about that is either spayed or neutered. Doesn't frickin matter. Both University of Kansas and Kansas University are CORRECT ! Do some research before you shoot off your mouth.

DrPepper 9 years, 5 months ago

While your at it, it is University AT Buffalo (not "of" Buffalo).

KGphoto 9 years, 6 months ago

5 games in. 2-3.

Freshman QB. Freshman RB. New System. Injuries to our best OL, our best LB, and a RB. Giant shoes to fill at WR, and fans who, if they haven't had their prunes, just can't start their day (I won't name names, ahem soobawls). We've lost a game we should've won. Won a game we should've lost. We've had growing pains and new rules, house cleaning and setbacks. But...

...this isn't a mess. It's 2-3 with the possibility of beating almost any team that has to run the ball (which college ball is trending back to). The possibility of beating almost any team at home, (Kansas has many home games), and a bright future. This team has already shown promise, and that's saying something, all things considered.

C'mon bawls, we only have a little time until you bitch about our mess of a basketball program. Have a little fun.

TenaciousD 9 years, 6 months ago

Well said, KGphoto. This young squad just lacks experience and poise at this point. Against Baylor, they were behind 7 to 17 towards the end of the first half and moved down the field ready to put some points on the board and fumbled. The frustration of turnovers made them lose their poise and then Webb started contributing to turnovers. That game wasn't nearly as bad as the score indicated. Red zone turnovers and a couple of blown coverages on D were the problem. Those are correctable.

Lacking the mental toughness right now, they're not ready to win on the road. But should protect home turf well from here on out.

rastameta 9 years, 5 months ago

KGphoto is the only one close to understanding what is going on with the program.

tjayk82 9 years, 5 months ago

awwwww...thats so sweet and touching. I agree, its not a mess....IT'S A BIG FRICKIN JOKE !!! What are you smoking ? We are the laughing stock of NCAA DIV I Football. Period. I'm a proud KU Grad and have three sons and a wife that attended KU. I happen to live thousands of miles from my alma mater right now, unfortunately. KU is once again regarded as a complete joke in the football arena. Thank God for James Naismith and the Peach Basket.

In sports, like in business, you've got to operate in the gray area, think and act outside the box, while youre retooling and rebuilding, until you make a profit and can sustain successful and profitability. When you hit your stride or can leverage your "cost threshhold" then the gray can fade away. Mangino understood that. Apparently, our administrators and decision makers do not. Academicians are famous for being incapable of understanding basic or complex business principles. LIfe and Sports are the same....like it or not.

bigtex 9 years, 6 months ago

Instead of moving forward the article should say moving downward. Since Gill has been at KU I see a lot of self promotion that he must of approved.( Examples). 1. The team posterior that has Gill standing with his arms crossed and players on their knees looking up at him like he is God. 2. Bill boards promoting KU football with Turner Gills picture on them with nothing about the team or players. 3. Signs around the football field with big words Turner the future. 4.Turner Gill at a Wichita KU outing this summer telling the crowd he is naming the new quarterback at the event and telling the crowd the new quarterback is going to be Turner Gill. 5. Taking the players names off the back of their jerseys because he does not want individuals but a team. Looks like he should take some of his own medicine. 6. When the team struggled in game one sacrificed his starting quarterback. Game three making excuses for not getting his plays in because of new personnel doing the job. Game five poor execution by his team and stated he was out coached but did he mean only his assistant coaches were out coached?

Tim Bingaman 9 years, 6 months ago

The most frustrating part is that we are working our way back to Rock Bottom.

I'm not going to defend Mangenius, because I wasn't there and what is done is done, but the silver lining in the coaching move should have been that we didn't need to Completely Start Over!

That loss to Baylor is what we used to expect out of our team. It is the reason why our fans are used to being at the Wheel by halftime... There was no reason to stay... let's hope that some of you optimists are right. I have a very bad feeling that Gill is going to bottom us out. Whether or not he can rebuild is a huge question, but somehow I feel like our Football program lost a big opportunity to take off to new heights... I hope I am just being a negative and depressed fan, but it doesn't look like it.

tjayk82 9 years, 5 months ago

Youre not depressed and negative....just accurate. Baylor 55, KU 7. .....I repeat....Baylor 55, KU 7. Also, decisive and embarrassing losses to NDSU (at home) and Southern Miss. Are these people delirious ?

Funhawk 9 years, 6 months ago

Glad that we got Turner Gill. He already broke the long losing streak from last season, pulled an upset over a ranked team, chose an excellent coaching staff, has the respect of his players, and top recruits have already verbally committed. Past coach put KU in the news for his out of control emotions. New coach is a much better representative of the university. Things ar looking up for Jayhawk football.

hawk316 9 years, 6 months ago

Excellent and succinct analysis, Funhawk.

ZDKC 9 years, 6 months ago

Head coaching stats immediately prior to their hires:

Skip Holtz: 38 -27 with 4 bowl appearances Tommy Tuberville: 84-40 with 8 bowl appearances (in the SEC I might add) Turner Gill - 20-30 with 1 bowl appearance

Can you find the statistical outlier?

Kevin Kelly 9 years, 6 months ago

MUlaza will you come back here and eat crow if he gets another good win in this year? Somehow I doubt it....people like you scurry for cover when the GT games hapen. He may get it done and he may not....but you don't have enough evidence to act the way you do around here.

Be contrarian all you like...but you sir are obsessed. I'm a season ticket holder who travels from Omaha for games. I'm upset but good fricken God you need to take a step back and just a little faith and/or patience. Or just keep getting all bent out of shape over the things going wrong and discounting everything that is going right....that should be helpful.

Kevin Kelly 9 years, 5 months ago

Regardless of what you think....a win against a team that was in the BCS the year before is a good win. A home win against a major team in the first year of a head coach is a good win. Knocking a QB out of Heisman talk, no matter how early it happened, is a good win.

If you can't agree to that then you've made up your mind and THEN went out looking for evidence to support your agenda. I won't pretend winning against GT was like winning a bowl game....but I won't fricking discount it completely for selfish reasons like you will.

STLJHawk86 9 years, 5 months ago

NEJhawk - Mizzoulaza (aka MULuzer) is not a Jayhawk. Apparently he doesn't have anything better to do with his time. So, do not feed this bottom feeder or otherwise encourage him. Your blood pressure will thank you.

hawk316 9 years, 6 months ago

"...each university acted quickly to bring in a replacement, someone who, through a bright smile and high integrity, could get rid of the pain associated with the scandals; someone who, if given a chance, would strive to erase the stain left on the programs.

At Kansas, that someone was Turner Gill, an up-and-coming star in the coaching world who led a miracle turnaround at the University of Buffalo and was a candidate for several big-time jobs prior to signing on the dotted line at Kansas."

Well-stated, Matt.

hawk316 9 years, 6 months ago

And Jayhawk fans, this is why we just need to be patient. It will come. Just give this man some time.

Alan Williams 9 years, 5 months ago

I hate how people think Gill is a good coach based off of a win over the easiest team to prepare for next to Navy. The fact of the matter is that Holtz and Tuberville are and always will be better coaches than TG. Lew screwed the football program by hiring Gill.

smar4 9 years, 5 months ago

Can no one weather the storm? every program has up's and down's... be glad we can celebrate our basketball team EVERY year, think of the majority of universities in this country! they celebrate mediocrity every year, a good year means 1 more win than last year, or going 20-10 in basketball rather than a typical 14-16.... what do they have to celebrate? nothing compared to us, we're a basketball school ( a legit one at that) and football is coming along but you've gotta give Gill his time? what can he really do in 6 weeks and half an off season with a brand new team and program?

Rian Ankerholz 9 years, 5 months ago

These are the times that try fan's souls. Revision of Thomas Paine's quotation describes Kansas football fans' current situation. Inconsistent play may be harder to understand and abide than consistently poor play. A small percentage of fans (and other interested persons) make comments on the bulletin boards. I wonder to what extent Kansas players, coaches and recruits care about the musings and the occasionally outright derision that is posted.

To KU players and coaches: True fans do not expect perfection, or even close to it; we value good effort, thoughtful preparation, and intelligent play. A fan's memory of player's mistakes should always be subordinate to the memory of smile-evoking successes. Do not mistake comments of few for the sentiment of all. For the most part, the two will only coincide when praise is involved. This is not to say that Kansas fans don't care about winning. We like to think of the University of Kansas as high-achieving in every area, and that includes KU Football. Noxious criticism should be viewed with skepticism and perspective.

Players: We stand behind you, through good times and bad, home and away. Coaches: You can ask for and expect no more than a fair chance; grasp the opportunity.

Great coaches can win games. Great coaches with great players can win a lot of games. The potential for bulletin board banter to hinder recruiting should not be underestimated. To bulletin board posters: Subject to terms of usage, you will always be able to make known your attitude of the moment, good or bad. Noxious posters will come and go; no lecture is likely to have an effect. But true fans should be circumspect before pushing the comment button. Like other forms of free speech, posted comments have the capacity to do harm.

One category of comment is worthy of remark: The Comment: "We lost. Fire the Coach." In the current situation, a "final solution" seems unduly harsh for a first-year coach who is a few games into the season. A player doesn't want to see a message that says his or her coach is incompetent; or worse, that the coach should be fired in the middle of the player's eligibility. If the comment actually persuades the player that the coach is unsatisfactory or in jeopardy, that cancer will spread. A recruit doesn't want to see "fan" postings critical of the coach who is doing his utmost to get the recruit to join a team. Vitriolic criticism of a coach, sport, or Kansas Athletics in general can have a damaging influence on recruits of a different sport. In other words, griping that Kansas Football is crappy doesn’t impress a Kansas Basketball recruit.

Postings can be fun, thought-provoking, constructive, destructive, or just plain worthless. Given limited choices, this Kansas fan will always prefer his own comments to be just plain worthless instead of being destructive.

Kansas Football needs and deserves fan support now as much as any time. Rock Chalk.

khummel60 9 years, 5 months ago

Nicely put. I agree. Unfortunately, your thoughtful commentary is likely to have zero effect on the people who routinely stir up trouble on this site. These folks are far more concerned with their own self-aggrandizing or playing "told you so" than they are the welfare of KU athletics (imho).

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but it has to be reasonable. Most of the criticism I read on this site about Coach Gill has little basis in fact or reason. The folks who never liked Coach Gill are not going to back off their anti-Gill position until he proves them wrong. I just hope enough reasonable fans voice their support for Gill until he has had a fair chance to prove he is or isn't up to the job. Otherwise, the gloom and doom Gill-Haters will succeed in chasing every decent recruit away from Kansas, and their prophecy will be self-fulfilled.

ZDKC 9 years, 5 months ago

Who are you to judge if someone's opinion is reasonable or not? Most of the anti-gill positions ARE based on facts (look at the head coaching statistics I posted above). By the looks of it you're one of those guys who'll follow anybody blindly and cross your fingers and hope it all works out for the best. Now, back to the flock with the rest of the sheep who are using "faith" and "hope" as the cornerstone of their belief.

khummel60 9 years, 5 months ago

The stats you posted are indeed facts, and if your trying to argue that we could have hired a coach with more experience or a better win/loss record, then those stats are extremely relevant. If, on the other hand, your arguing that Gill never has been, and never will be a good coach, then those facts are not nearly as relevant, and your argument would not be reasonable in my opinion. I'm not sure what you were implying with those stats, frankly.

My issue is with folks who say things like "Holtz and Tuberville are and always will be better coaches than TG." That person is entitled to this opinion, but it should not be stated as a matter of fact because its not based on anything factual.

And your characterization of me couldn't be further from the truth. I have stated repeatedly that I don't know if Gill is a good head coach. I think my primary disagreement with you and others is that I feel we should give the man a chance, and you evidently don't.

ZDKC 9 years, 5 months ago

I can agree with giving the man a chance -- we really have no choice. On the flip side, it will be under scrutiny until he proves otherwise.

JBurtin 9 years, 5 months ago

Here's a few more facts for you.

Jeremiah Edwards Travis Stephens Jamaal Greene Tyrone Sellers D.J. Marshall

All defensive linemen that have been injured the entire season, dismissed from the team, or in some cases are done playing football forever.

Factor in the solid players that have graduated from the line in recent years and it's not that hard to figure out why we can't get a good pass rush.

No pass rush, no pass D.

The cupboard really isn't bare for Turner Gill. It's just that we have.

1) a decent running game 2) a decent passing game 3) a solid run defense 4) no pass rush

As a whole we are not a bad team, but a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link. I said before the season that we would cover the run well, but would struggle against teams that are good enough at passing the ball to exploit our biggest weakness.

Nothing has really changed and, outside of the anomally of the NDSU game, nobody with a good football I.Q should really be all that surprised.

mtdewjunkie 9 years, 5 months ago

you are much better than most about supporting your arguments with facts and for that i thank you but to say that "most of the anti-gill positions are based on facts" is a bit of a stretch. most of the pro gill posts are not based on facts either. i defend gill because i think he (like anyone hired to do a job) should be given a chance to succeed. this team is seriously lacking in talent speed and size. the talent that is on the team is young/inexperienced. add to that the dificulty in installing new schemes, message board enraging rules, etc.. and it was going to be a long season no matter who got the job. (full disclosure: i wanted kevin sumlin-houston coach) i agree, coach gill has not started well, but i also agree that it is not reasonable to be calling for his job already.

John Randall 9 years, 5 months ago

""" Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but it has to be reasonable. """

No, it doesn't have to be, even though it should be.

Any lame brain with a keyboard and an ISP can post his misconceptions –– and many do just that.

tjayk82 9 years, 5 months ago

Sports "fans" is short for sports fanatics......not sports philosophers. I've been a KU supporter for 40+ years. Reality is that fans support winning programs. That always has been and always will be.

Ever hear of the Chiefs ? ....or the Royals ? I've also been an avid supporter of those programs for 40+ years. Fact and reality cant be changed.

Ben Kliewer 9 years, 5 months ago

THE WORLDS GOING TO END AND WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE! Oh, wait, is that an inappropriate reaction? ...sorry...

DevilHawk 9 years, 5 months ago

No, that's after we go 12-0 in the 2012 season and are set to play in the National Championship game.

jayhawk420 9 years, 5 months ago

i dont see ku moving forwards.looks to me like there moving backwards. back to the bottom we go!

JayhawkBigXII 9 years, 5 months ago

Don't like K-State... but I hope they put a whoopin on the Cornhuskers tonight. K-State 31 - NU 27.

djgratt59 9 years, 5 months ago

Agree I hope we see a beat-down on Neb tonight..... and everyone recognizes that "funny bird" call it KU, UK or whatever.. may God bless and prosper the Kansas football team to dominate and win the remaining season, in Jesus name, Amen.

jayhawkintexas 9 years, 5 months ago

While I have been critical of Coach Gill, I was encouraged by his remarks in the article. I really think he is a great role model and life skills coach. I have absolutely no doubts that he runs a clean program. The comments in the article indicate that deep inside he really does have a burning and passion for winning. Go ahead and let those passions and emotions come out, coach. Show it on the sideline during games, talk to groups like an evangelist, give passionate quotes to reporters. It will make you more effective, win you more support, and get the fan base fired up even more about KU football. If you will do that, I'll stick with ya through thick and thin.

Michael Bratisax 9 years, 5 months ago

During my time on campus, 77-82, we would have been thrilled to have had a coach who had the success that Mangino brought to KU. Wonder how long it will be to our next Orange Bowl?

Mike Gammill 9 years, 5 months ago

If I figure right, should be around 2048 or so.

DevilHawk 9 years, 5 months ago

I hope that we never* play in the Orange Bowl again - unless it is the site of the National Championship game or KU's conference contracts with the Orange Bowl.

• The Big 12 is currently tied to the Fiesta Bowl, so winning the conference would take us there.

In the meantime, Maurice Couch (4-star JuCo DT) is high on KU - even with an offer from USC on the table.

If Gill is able to remain here, then I think that there is a reasonable chance for us to get back in the BCS discussion within the next five years. We still have 7 games to play this season - plenty of time to see better play and more consistent play.

hawksince51 9 years, 5 months ago

Why do so many on this blog forget that MM was 1 and 7 in the conference last year and that his one win against Iowa State was pretty damn lucky. He recruited one pretty good group of players resulting in the Orange Bowl season, but as the good players left to the NFL and due to graduation, they were not replaced. While MM was off the Snyder coaching tree, he was certainly no Bill Snyder when it came to building a successful program over several years. It is way too early to judge Gill one way or the other.

John McCoy 9 years, 5 months ago

Two words to remember: Coach Val. Everything is better now for KU.

rastameta 9 years, 5 months ago

If Mangino was still here, we wouldn't not have a better record...he never beat Baylor at Baylor either. In fact, he only won a handful of games on the road and even less in the conference.

He would be spewing out his catch phrase, "keep sawin' wood" and you guys would be lapping it up saying how much of a genius he is.

Mangino had ONE magical season, one good season, a 2-3 average seasons, and a couple of bad seasons. We were already on the way back down to with Mangino.

He was not going to be able to recruit, his coaches hated him and were going to leave and you weren't going to get a good staff in here to work with him and many of the current players were planning on transferring before he was let go.

So, all you Gill haters and Mangino lovers get your heads out of your asses!!