Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Mikeal Hopkins picks Georgetown

Mikael Hopkins, a 6-foot-8 senior forward from DeMatha High in Hyattsville, Md., has orally committed to play basketball at Georgetown.

Hopkins, the No. 79-rated player in the class of 2011, visited Kansas University last weekend. He also considered Ohio State, Maryland, Virginia Tech, Miami, West Virginia and Texas.

“I feel as though I fit (Georgetown’s) system well,” Hopkins told the Washington Post. “It's close to home and I have a little sister who I want to have come to my games. (They have a ) tradition of getting big men to the NBA and have a great program.”

Comments

knightmare34 11 years, 2 months ago

I like KUSports.com's increased coverage of recruiting. Unfortunately, it means we'll hear more news like this. Not all of the 37 recruits attending Late Night will be able to choose KU. Keep up the good work, Coach Self.

yates33333 11 years, 2 months ago

I agree. To use a well worn cliche, recruiting is the name of the game.

Matt Bowers 11 years, 2 months ago

In a way this might help KU. Mikael Hopkins probably knew after practicing with KU players that he would have a better shot at playing time with Georgetown. Plus he is a #79 ranked player who just took a spot away from a higher ranked player. For what is left at this point might be more valuable. Either way, HCBS will land the guys and talent that KU needs.

Rock Chalk

Jaminrawk 11 years, 2 months ago

Good for him. I hope he enjoys looking back someday and wondering, "What if.."

ragingsquanto 11 years, 2 months ago

should have "tickled" him more aggressively?

chriz 11 years, 2 months ago

So what other highly-ranked recruits do we have banging on our door?

jaybate 11 years, 2 months ago

Never invite recruits to visit during boot camp.

Tony Bandle 11 years, 2 months ago

Sorry, Jaybate, couldn't disagree more. This will sound old school but bring them in and let them see what it takes to be a JAYHAWK. . give them the challenge and those that accept are the ones we want anyway.

Maybe you could fib a little, however, and say that if you get your face on the hurling cans, you earn extra playing time!!

KEITHMILES05 11 years, 2 months ago

Current list of recruits coming for Late Night.

2011: LeBryan Nash Angelo Chol Ben McLemore Naadir Tharpe

2012: Zach Peters (already committed) Nino Jackson Marcus Paige Shaquille Cleare

2013: Julius Randle Ishmael Wainwright Andrew Harrison Aaron Harrison

Tony Bandle 11 years, 2 months ago

2011 schollies available [assuming no NBA lockout] - 4 to 8 [4 if no one leaves] 2012 schollies avalable - assume 4 to 5 [3 if no one leaves] 2013 schollies available - assume 4 to 8 [2 if no one leaves]

Then again, i may be totally off. Surely, somebody is going to leave early....you just can't tell who or when!!

Tony Bandle 11 years, 2 months ago

Is Perry Ellis not coming since he has seen so many already? I'm not sure I see his absence as a positive sign.

longhawk 11 years, 2 months ago

Tharpe is actually comming the week of October 22, according to Rivals.

kerbyd 11 years, 2 months ago

I thought the kid from Columbia was also coming.

chriz 11 years, 2 months ago

Hmm. I would still like to think that we could do a little better in recruiting. Look at our product and our salesman. What are we missing? How could people even begin to think that KState could potentially be better than us?

Sam Constance 11 years, 2 months ago

Um, what?

I think the only schools that one could argue get better recruiting results than KU are Kentucky and UNC.

And when you watch the teams, you can guess why.

Obviously, Cal just tells recruits that they can come in and run his pro offense and basically do whatever they want. And obviously, not having an ounce of coaching ability, he holds true to his promise, being the glorified pickup basketball manager that he is.

With Williams, on the other hand, I have a suspicion that he tells recruits what they want to hear, but then once he has them in tow, he backs off that promise a little bit, knowing that a team of hyper-talented athletes still need discipline and direction to be successful. As a result, when they come in and see the discrepancy but think "no big deal, I'm still playing at UNC for a championship coach", the results are great. But when they come in and bristle at having a situation that is slightly different from the one they imagined, it creates a bit of chaos and therefore, unsatisfactory results (like this past season).

I personally like Self's approach of laying it all out on the table and having the top recruits self-select (yuk yuk!) if they are up for his kind of challenge or not. I can handle missing out on the top 5/10 recruits if it means we get the hard-nosed players that will run Self's style to perfection. I don't think there were any top 10 recruits on the 2008 team, but I could be wrong...

KUFan90 11 years, 2 months ago

Good point Chriz. We need to do better in recruiting. We need a deeper bench, we need to bring in the #1 ranked recruit...oh wait...

Chris Bruning 11 years, 2 months ago

oakville....perry ellis is attending midnight madness at memphis becuase his sister i believe is a senior player there....otherwise i think he would have been there. thats the reason....

Michael Bratisax 11 years, 2 months ago

Getting to the point where the pickings are getting slim through the top 25 and I think you could add Ohio State (even if they always seem to fall a little short) and Duke to the list above and Baylor is starting to be a real threat also. Personally, I don't know why Nash is wavering between us, Baylor, and OK State unless it comes down to immediate playing time but Self has put a lot of players into the draft that I don't believe many other coaches could have done.. Guess it will all shake out after late-night.

chriz 11 years, 2 months ago

Guys, Bill Self has said it himself. He doesn't like recruiting and he wants to do a better job at it. Don't get me wrong; I can't think of another coach I would rather have than Self (except maybe coach K). I'm just saying that I think there's room for improvement.