Monday, October 4, 2010

Prep forward Hopkins tickled with trip to KU

Mikael Hopkins, a 6-foot-8, 215-pound senior power forward from DeMatha High School in Hyattsville, Md., completed his official weekend recruiting visit to Kansas University’s campus Sunday morning.

“He had a great time. No decision was made, but it went really well,” Hopkins’ AAU coach, Keith Stevens, told Rivals.com. “They (KU coaches and players) did a great job, and we’ll just see what happens from here.”

Hopkins, Rivals.com’s No. 79-rated player nationally, has visited Georgetown unofficially and Ohio State officially. He has scheduled trips to Miami (Fla.) next weekend, West Virginia (Oct. 15-16) and Texas (Oct. 22-23).

He has said he will announce his college choice on Nov. 1.

“I hope to be able to make my decision after that (last visit),” Hopkins told Georgetown.rivals.com. “That’s my plan so I can get focused on the season and finishing up school.”

Tarczewski in open gym: KU coach Bill Self, North Carolina’s Roy Williams and several other coaches watched junior center Kaleb Tarczewski in an open-gym setting Sunday in Southborough, Mass. Tarczewski is a 7-foot, 220-pounder out of St. Mark’s High who has KU, UNC, Arizona, Indiana, Wake Forest, Florida, Boston College, Michigan and several others on his early list. He’s Rivals.com’s No. 13-rated player in the Class of 2012.

Cook visits UCLA: Quinn Cook, a 6-1 senior point guard from Oak Hill Academy in Mouth of Wilson, Va., made an official visit to UCLA last weekend.

He has visits scheduled to Duke (Oct. 15-16) and Villanova (Oct. 22-23). Coaches from KU and Villanova will be on Oak Hill’s campus this week.

He has yet to set an official visit to KU, which at this point is considered a longshot. He also has Georgetown, UCLA and North Carolina State on his list.

Tharpe update: Self was to check in on Naadir Tharpe, a 5-11 senior point guard from Brewster Academy in Wolfeboro, Mass., this week. Tharpe, who is originally from Worcester, Mass., has visited Rutgers and Minnesota and also is considering Oklahoma, North Carolina State, St. John’s, UCLA, Boston College, Marquette and others.

Comments

Kevin John 9 years, 3 months ago

Someone please commit. I am so tired of waiting and the later it gets; the more I worry. Last day of contact visits is tomorrow, So lets get it done!!

Martin Rosenblum 9 years, 3 months ago

Gary: I say if a recruit has more than four schools on his list of considerations at any time in the process, with KU being one of them, we don't see them mentioned in your articles. Then upon the end of the :official visit" period, no more than three schools, including KU, would be the criteria for a mention in your articles.

We shouldn't have to see that a kid is considering KU along with schools like NC State, Marquette, etc. Yeah, I'm a snob! But, that's like me saying I'd consider a Kia , a Hyundai, a Vespa and a Ferrari.

yates33333 9 years, 3 months ago

Check out various reviews of Hyundai's luxury entry, most recently in Consumer Reports. You might change your mind about a Ferrari. Then again you might not. NC State and Marquette have good teams with some regularity.

Martin Rosenblum 9 years, 3 months ago

ONE

The car vs. school comparisons were simply a means to imply the discrepancy between KU and less successful programs that some recruits cull together as their lists of interest. (why did I even have to explain this?)

TWO

If you would ever lump KU into a conversation where Marquette and NC State were remotely considered in the same "league" with KU, you need to seek out a trauma unit that deals with head injuries. The swelling is not a good thing!

khummel60 9 years, 3 months ago

That's pretty funny. Since you first mentioned it, I've made a point of looking for that word, and they do seem consistently tickled with it.

pizzashuttle 9 years, 3 months ago

He really should substitute "giddy as a little school girl" for tickled? You know, keep it similar and things of that nature.

TwistedFish31 9 years, 3 months ago

You are such a loser mu antler boy! Go back to columbia...

hawkitup 9 years, 3 months ago

So, we're a long shot with Quinn Cook? What happened? I thought we had somewhat of an advantage with the kid because of TRob and Selby.

hawkitup 9 years, 3 months ago

Chris Shaw 9 years, 3 months ago

Hawkitup: We've been a long shot with Cook for a while now IMO. When KU put all of that time and energy into Turner it may have left a period of time where Cook was neglected a little bit (Just my opinion).

KU has some time they have to make up, but KU's "Need" is obvious and all it could take is some obvious blunt remarks, some candicy, and a visit to sway Cook. Duke may not even have enough room for Cook with their scholarship situation.

Here is the most recent Cook article on Zagsblog. Actually, there are 2 articles that were posted the same day so once you click the link the other story is just two down from this one.

Joe Baker 9 years, 3 months ago

Cook article:

Kansas is also in the hunt, but no visit date has been set.

“I’m not sure because our season is about to start,” Cook said. “There’s not really an open weekend that I have yet. Hopefully I can get there.”

He added: “We really haven’t established a relationship because they just got into it. They’ll be up to see me this week.”

In the meantime, UCLA, Duke and Villanova top the list.

“I think all three respectfully are showing me a lot of love and attention, telling me how bad they need me,” he said. “Just all three are doing a wonderful job recruiting me.”

We'll have EJ and Woolridge!!

Joe Baker 9 years, 3 months ago

I too was convinced with his previous interest in KU, Selby and TRob. Now after KU's failure to land Turner and Rivers, he may have some understandable reseravations. I think we have a good chance, but wouldn't be too surprised if he picks another school.

Chris Shaw 9 years, 3 months ago

Hopkins has a lot of potential, but hasn't been consistent in his play in the AAU circuit. Most think when everything is said and done that he'll be a Top 50 or Top 40 recruit. Nothing wrong with being ranked #79 as it gives some motivation (Or least we as fans would hope) for the player to prove people wrong. You know, I hear a lot of individuals say they don't want OAD's, but you have to mix 3 and 4 year players in with Elite 1 and 2 year players. Can't just consistently get Top 15 talent every year and make the turnover without having some stability within your program.

Yates: I agree with the Marquette comparison, but NC State? I don't know, but I have a very sour taste in my mouth about NC State as a whole and it has nothing to do with you Yates. The Wolfpack fans, administrators, and athletic department have amazed me over the years. What the Wolfpack did to Herb Sendeck was awful just awful? What does NC State want out of their basketball team?

There was a time when Sendeck took NC State to 6 straight NCAA tournaments and 5 ouf of those 6 years lost in the second round of the big dance. However, that wasn't good enough for anybody at State. Sendeck basically got ran out of town, his family taunted for simply not living up to the standards of UNC and Duke? There are only a few schools in the entire country that can compete or match expectations of Duke or UNC.

Everybody wanted a fast style offense in order to play like true "ACC Ball". Well, for what it's worth the Princeton offense is the complete opposite, but it's an offense that is highly effective, takes smart people to run, and is truly great basketball when everything is in sync and flowing together. Then again, when it comes to academics NC State fails in comparison to anything related to Duke and UNC so I could see how most would hate the Princeton Offense. In the end, NC State hired one of their own, Sydney Lowe, and has had 3 consecutive seasons missing the NCAA tourney.

twhit999 9 years, 3 months ago

The Shiver had their article up a few hours before Rivals and it has some better quotes. Gary just has some sort of love affair with Rivals.

kkoenig 9 years, 3 months ago

NCAA statute regarding bball practice without being cleared to play:

In a response as to why Kanter would no longer be able to practice while Kansas freshman Josh Selby is practicing pending his amateur status review, the NCAA's director of communication strategy, Chuck Wynne, said in an e-mail to ESPN.com: "The answer to your question is found in Bylaw 12.1.1.1.3.1 Temporary Certification. (If a prospective student-athlete reports for athletics participation before the student's amateur status has been certified, the student may practice, but not compete, for a maximum period of 45 days. After this period, the student shall have his or her amateur status certified to continue to practice or to compete.) Since this applies to all student-athletes, the clock for each student-athlete will start at different times dependent upon the school's schedule."

from: http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/sports/college/basketball/mens&sa=NCB&eid=5637374

David Friend 9 years, 3 months ago

From the fact check department which the LJW does not have. Brewster Academy is in Wolfboro New Hampshire, not Massachusetts

Chris Shaw 9 years, 3 months ago

Add some more young men to the Late Night schedule. Another set of twins would be nice to replace Marcus and Kieff.

Jaybate: You remember me talking about Shaquille Cleare in the genetic/evolution of big man the other day? I don't know anything about Shaquille Cleare and didn't know KU had him on their radar. He is one big boy at 6'9 and 285 lbs. This is good news.

NotWiller 9 years, 3 months ago

At first I thought the headline was "Prep forward tickled on trip to KU." I've never claimed to know the ins and outs of recruiting, but I just couldn't imagine that tickling a 215 lb teenager would do much to improve our chances. Just to be safe, I think the word should be used very sparingly in headlines.

Then again, I read last week's headline as "Markeiff Morris passes weighted stone" instead of "passes a weight milestone."

I probably just need glasses.

chriz 9 years, 3 months ago

Can someone explain to me why a top 5 program with a top 5 coach and a top 5 college town not consistently have a top 5 recruiting class?

Chris Shaw 9 years, 3 months ago

Chriz: I'm assuming you're talking about KU, Self, and Lawrence based on your three "Top 5" sarcastic statements involving recruiting?

Self's career looks pretty consistently "Ranked" in recruiting to me. What do you think? Please define a Top 5 recruiting class? There isn't enough room on a 13 scholarship roster team to bring in a Top 5 recruiting class every year. You have to "Plug" and "Fill Needs" where the team needs those missing ingredients. Based on your theory the 2007 and 2010 recruiting classes are a complete failure despite having a lottery pick in Cole Aldrich and the #1 overall player in the nation Josh Selby. I sure am glad there is an "NR" by that recruiting class in 2007 because KU might not have won the Championship in 2008 if it had been any other way.

2010 - (23rd)-Only got the #1 ranked recruit in the nation headlined by Josh Selby and Royce Woolridge- Extra Schollie went to Conner Teahan

2009 - (6th)- X.Henry, EJ, T-Robinson, and J. Withey

2008 -(2nd)-M. Little, T. Taylor, Marcus, Kieff, Releford, T. Appleton, Q. Thomas

2007 - (NR) C. Aldrich and T. Reed

2006 - (12th)- D. Arthur, S. Collins, R. Stewart

2005- (2nd) J. Wright, M. Chalmers, B Rush, M. Downs

2004 - (4th) Russ Robb, S. Kaun, D. Jackson, C. Giles, A. Galindo

chriz 9 years, 3 months ago

Actually, I didn't mean to sound sarcastic. Was just wondering why we don't have a top 5 class year in and year out, or maybe even top 10. What if we had a couple of top 15 recruits annually? Would that really screw up our program? I figure that Self probably doesn't care how his recruits are ranked, but it seems like it would naturally work out where we have the top-ranked kids each year. And who's to say that Self doesn't disappoint himself every year in recruiting and that we might have two or three many titles in his tenure if he were as successful as he would like to be? After all, he has publicly admitted that he would like to be a better recruiter. Just sayin'...

Woody Cragg 9 years, 3 months ago

Maybe lazy mu just wants to "hang" with the big boys. I think that's what they do when their antlers aren't big enough.