Sunday, October 3, 2010

Game balls and Gassers

Kansas receiver D.J. Beshears watches as Baylor linebacker Elliot Coffey picks off Kansas quarterback Jordan Webb's pass during the third quarter Saturday, Oct. 2, 2010 at Floyd Casey Stadium in Waco.

Feature

Baylor defeats KU, 55-7

Baylor dismantled Kansas, 55-7, Saturday, October 2, 2010 in Waco, Texas.

Candidate for Game ball

• Punter Alonso Rojas twice gave Baylor horrible field position.

Candidate for Gassers

• The Kansas coaching staff didn’t have the team prepared, organized, disciplined or motivated to play Baylor.

Comments

Janet Scott 9 years, 4 months ago

Create a "Supreme Gassers" section, and make Lew the charter (and only) member: he hired this retread "staff"; a staff that has absolutely no clue, a staff that has turned KU football into the laughingstock of Division I college football.

Rock_Chalk_NYC 9 years, 4 months ago

Absolutely! LewZer is the supreme gasser!

4everahawk 9 years, 4 months ago

Still have not come up with the real reason Lew hired Gill when other more qualified coaches were interested. It all seemed a little suspect at the time, but now is really confusing. Was it because he was permitting so much corruption in other areas that he thought a spiritual man would repair our reputation? Surely he didn't hire him to 'punish' KU as it will be part of his legacy at KU. Still love my Jayhawks (athletes) and feel horribly for them, but even with the potential talent they have, they are not being coached, motivated or inspired with this low-key coaching staff. I would imagine that even the asst coaches feel they aren't able to coach as they wish because of their leader holding the reins on the wagon. Who has the authority to advise Gill to change his demeanor for the sake of this team? The team attitude, sadly, is a reflection of the coaches and he clearly lacks any real passion.

Dirk Medema 9 years, 4 months ago

Hmmm, the only "more qualified coach" that we actually know was interested in KU took a team that beat KU 42-21 last year, and got pumeled by ISU yesterday. No, not as bad as us, but then we weren't starting from the same place either. While I also realize that ISU beat Baylor last year, that was without G3, so I'd say that BU is the better team. Just not buying the "more qualified coach" argument, except to underscore that there are plenty of people that either didn't want to get rid of Mangino or didn't want to hire Gill.

4everahawk 9 years, 4 months ago

Aren't any of you people that are supporting Gill noticing his sideline demeanor? I mean, really, he is barely there. Is that the way it is at practice? I've never coached a football team, but I know that the coach of ANY team has to show more enthusiasm, passion and energy than what we have witnessed so far. He stands there with his arms crossed looking lost. That alone is kinda embarrassing on national TV.

Carolyn Troupe 9 years, 4 months ago

4everhawk, I agree. I was in Waco for the game. Only once did I see Gill speak to a player on the bench. During timeouts, when the team was huddling with an assistant coach, Gill stood on the outside, saying nothing. Watching him with binocs, I never felt that he was ever talking to anyone. And with our unimaginative playcalling...Maybe our coaches know this offensve team does not have a lot of length. The O-line, though I love their effort, was rarely able to open holes, and was not able to give Webb time consistently. Webb did not impress me as a passer. He overthrew a couple of open men, and threw behind Patterson on one play that looked like it might have been a good gainer. I shudder to think what the score would have been without Baylor penalties. I want to give Gill a chance, but if the problem is the talent, then he needs to be more creative. Otherwise, I wonder what he will do with better people.

grandpa 9 years, 4 months ago

castlereagh. I agree with you. Baylor ran the short pass play to their #3 time after time and we never made any adjustmentfor that. There was no excuse for their 94yd touchdown pass. Baylor quarterback was never rushed. No blitz. He stood there all day with time to pass. Our offensive line gave no protection to our quarterback. Gill needs to shift some people around to give him protection. We have a decent passing game if our qb has some time. The qb is also holding the ball too long and he needs to get rid of it quicker.I was also at Waco.