Saturday, October 2, 2010

Reed ‘the star’ of Self’s Boot Camp so far

Kansas guard Tyrel Reed pulls up for a shot prior to tipoff against Northern Iowa, Friday, March 20, 2010 at the Ford Center in Oklahoma City.

The most fit member of Kansas University’s basketball team is dominating Boot Camp conditioning once again this year.

“It’s Tyrel. Always Tyrel. Tyrel is always going to be the star of Boot Camp. He’s the most conditioned athlete I’ve ever seen in my life,” KU junior Marcus Morris said of senior guard Tyrel Reed.

Reed, a 6-foot-3, 195-pound Burlington native, placed first in each of the many sprints run from 6 to 7 a.m. Monday through Friday in KU’s practice facility adjacent to Allen Fieldhouse.

“He’s determined to win. I think he almost feels disrespected if he doesn’t win,” added Morris, who has marveled at Reed’s prowess at coach Bill Self’s Boot Camp for three years now.

Reed is in a league of his own conditioning-wise.

“The star of Boot Camp? I think every day somebody has had their own day. Of course, Tyrel is the most consistent,” junior guard Tyshawn Taylor said.

“I know Jordan Juenemann (junior walk-on) had a good day. Coach told us how impressed he was with how ‘T-Rob’ (sophomore Thomas Robinson) was in good condition, how Justin Wesley (sophomore transfer from Lamar) was in good shape.”

Boot Camp —which resumes Monday and concludes Friday — consists of sprints, defensive slides, backboard touches and more sprints.

“It was a tough week. It’s Boot Camp,” Morris said. “We’ve got a lot of team bonding going, I mean (teammates) pushing a lot of guys. Everybody seems like they are in better shape than I was in my freshman year.”

Noted Taylor: “I think everybody has come in here with a good attitude: ‘Let’s get in here, work hard and get out.’ The last couple years we had been kind of dreading this week. The locker room was kind of dark and cloudy. We’re more focused this year.

“It’s tough getting up at 5 o’clock in the morning, but we know we’ve got to do it, so you might as well go into it with a good attitude. A good attitude makes a big difference in how you do.”

Jayhawk newcomers Wesley, Josh Selby, Niko Roberts and Royce Woolridge have fared well.

“They are taking it in, doing the work and not pouting about it,” Morris said. “They are taking it as medicine you’ve got to get past.”

“They are doing really well,” Taylor noted. “Most of those guys are freshmen. They’ve got class right after. They’ve got to go right to class, and that can wear on you. I know. I had to do it my freshman year, too. The freshmen have come in here ready to work.”

None of the freshmen has lost his breakfast during the rigorous drills.

One sophomore has headed over to the trash can to hurl after sprints.

“Elijah. Twice,” Morris said of Elijah Johnson.

“It’s nothing like Buford,” he added with a smile, referring to former KU guard Chase Buford, whom the players joked with annually. “Every once in a while, you’d look up and Chase would be by a trash can.”

Johnson has been working extremely hard, Morris indicated.

“He’s pushing himself,” Morris said. “He’s trying to win some sprints. Even though he hasn’t won any, he’s trying. Tyrel is the leader in that.”

Johnson and the rest of the Jayhawks will be looking forward to a weekend of rest before trying to catch Reed on Monday.

“We can sleep tomorrow and Sunday. We’re right back at it again Monday.” Taylor said. “I hope the (second) week goes as fast as this one did. This week went kind of fast, actually.”

Hopkins on campus: The Jayhawks played pick-up basketball Friday afternoon with Mikael Hopkins, a 6-8, 215-pound senior power forward from tradition-rich DeMatha Catholic High School in Hyattsville, Md. Hopkins is on campus on his official recruiting visit. He has visited Ohio State officially and Georgetown unofficially and has trips planned to Miami (Fla.), West Virginia and Texas. He will announce his college choice on Nov. 1.

Comments

clorox 9 years, 5 months ago

mojayhawk 9 years, 5 months ago

clorox, Go back to your own school, if you can claim one. This site is for Hawk fans.

yates33333 9 years, 5 months ago

Since when did clorox smell like a skunk? Since clorox decided to post on this page. Hopefully skunks will excuse this comparison.

Chris Bruning 9 years, 5 months ago

REHawk 9 years, 5 months ago

The Reed family and the folk of Burlington, KS, will be pleased with this article, highlighting their native son. Tyrel was born with the body of a track and field athlete, and as Jaybate pointed out a few days ago, he has packed powerful pounds to his 6'3" frame. Nice quiet bootcamp leadership, the determination of a winner. Sometime this season Jayhawk fans will marvel at his hitting a deep three at the buzzer or stealthily racing beneath the basket to roll in two points to win an important come from behind game. Just as Chalmers envisioned hitting a long winning shot from the time he was a preschooler, Tyrel would appear to possess the determination to rise to greatness. Whether he ever plays a minute of pro ball or not, he seems bound to be a successful individual.

ParisHawk 9 years, 5 months ago

Off topic, have you seen this tweet from Andy Katz :

"Kansas' Josh Selby and Kentucky's Enes Kanter next official decisions on eligibility as official start of practice creeps closer on 10-15.
6:03 AM Sep 30th"

Some fan sites are reading this as "next week", but I think it just means their turn at bat has finally come. I don't like the idea of lumping Selby and Kanter together in the minds of the NCAA, since Kanter does NOT rhyme with amateur.

waywardJay 9 years, 5 months ago

Of course, Kanter has CLEARLY received cash to play for professional teams overseas. This is not disputed, what is disputed is the contract situation there, because he was under 18 and could not legally SIGN a contract over there. What this means is he was working for a professional team under the table in some manner, which is consistant with the Scum Calipari brings in. Calipari's standing on this, and I have heard him so much mention when discussing the issue, he's not a pro player over there because you cannot sign a contract under 18, there by making him eligible. We'llsee how the NCAA finds, I tend to believe they will Give Calipari Kanter similiarly they gave Money recipient john Walll alst year.

Selby on the other hand has friends who know Melo, reports have suggested he owns an automobile that he should be able to afford, has transcripts from three different high schools and is tied up in illegal conttact thanks to Tenneesse. zTHough all sides suggest that last statement is not going to impact his Status at Kansas. I think any lengthy suspension would have come to light by now, but again not holding my breath for him either.

It's two seperate issues, thus far. Hopefully Different outcome swith kanter, rightfully, being deemed ineligble as a Professional playe rover seas, and Selby being cleared of any wrong doing.

NebraskaJayhawk 9 years, 5 months ago

As good as Reed has played the last two years, he is going to be lights out this year. I really think that. I think he's going to get national recognition and possibly put himself into a position to play NBA ball with his deep range shooting and his toughness/determination. Of all the great players that are on this team, I'd have to say my favorite is Reed.

Roy Scherff 9 years, 5 months ago

Reed has always been a winner regardless of the score.

hawk316 9 years, 5 months ago

Tyrel is one of those players you want on your team and one that you need to be successful. Due to tremendous determination and dedication, he is seeking to maximize his abilities. His commitment and leadership will prove invaluable through the course of this season. Though at one time some questioned whether he truly belonged, he has now firmly established the importance of his presence on this team. Go Tyrel! Go Hawks!

Tom Gillaspie 9 years, 5 months ago

Yes indeed, Reed has all the makings of a great 'practice' player. I don't understand how he can excel at boot camp and not be able to stay in front of any quick guard in the league. He get's burned consistently and left swiping at the ball form behind or falling on his ass when his man blows past. I love the kid's attitude and work ethic, but he can't be a starter on a team that is going to make noise in the NCAA tourney.
For the record, I grew up about twenty miles from Burlington and would love it if he could prove me wrong about his defensive skills. For the past three years he has done nothing but prove me right!

jaybate 9 years, 5 months ago

Games must be approaching. Dude set down the off season White Russian to roll one in the pocket. Pins flying. Steeeeeerike!

DCLawHawk 9 years, 4 months ago

Are you forgetting the game where Reed stripped the ball in the lane in the closing minute to preserve victory in a tight contest last season? HCBS even singled that out later as a key to the game. Someone else may recall which game it was exactly, but that was a deft move. Reed is quick enough to take charges too. And Tyrel is not the one always looking around trying to figure out where the man he lost went to. That would be, ahem, Tyshawn.

bballdiehard 9 years, 4 months ago

It was the KState game, at KState. The strip actually stopped them from scoring, allowing the game to go into overtime, where we were able to win. Your point that Reed saved the gave is still very valid though.

Joe Baker 9 years, 4 months ago

I just don't know about TT. I can't trust him. He's a great athlete, but too many issues. I hope to be wrong. I want him to be successful.

Steve Gantz 9 years, 5 months ago

Can't wait for basketball season so we can read (or choose to ignore articles like this) articles about our team that matter.

Martin Rosenblum 9 years, 5 months ago

Wouldn't you think Selby would beat Tyrel in a sprint? From what we've seen and heard from camps, games, etc. Selby is a flash! Tyrel may have better conditioning for the overall challenges, since he is involved with physical training and rehab. But, a foot race? Maybe Josh needs to be sprinting with a ball! .

Dirk Andrews 9 years, 5 months ago

Last years beef is over with. This is a completely different team with what seems like a completely different(and positive) attitude than last year. Remember our championship team? EVERYONE contributed. This is exactly how this year's team will be. I love hearing that a no-name recruit from Burlington is running circles around these bigger named guys in conditioning. Quite frankly, they love it too. It's motivation, determination, leadership by example, the list could go on. Teams need guys like this. Who cares if he starts? That's up to Coach Self to decide. Regardless, he will play, and he will make an impact on the floor. The same impact he is having on the rest of our team to get better. I think it's great...I love this team already.

ChicagoJHawk 9 years, 5 months ago

Tyrel has always done an awesome job in boot camp. Unfortunately I just don't think he's as talented as other players on our team. That really sucks because I know he busts his a** everyday in practice.

When I saw him at late night, his freshman year, I really thought he would be the next Kirk Hinrich. Maybe he'll have a great year this year & tear it up. He definitely stepped it up last year, especially against Northern Iowa. Senior leadership really helps the team a lot so I'm hoping he has a great year this year.

Sam Constance 9 years, 4 months ago

Define "talented".

Because Tyrel is arguably the best shooter and clearly the fastest of any player on the team.

I would think that qualifies...

milwaukeeJAYHAWK 9 years, 5 months ago

Tyrel has really surprised me and come a long way. Keep it up, Reed! Your work ethic is paying off!

mikehawk 9 years, 5 months ago

Tyrel is a native Kansan and has showed he belongs on one of the very best teams in the country. Someone has to set the conditioning bar on every team, and our home boy is the one for this team. Not only is he a fantastically conditioned high end athlete, he represents all we hope KU student athletes will be. While KU will always have to go far beyond our borders to get players to remain among the elite, it is great when when natives, especially those from small Kansas towns, are good enough to either start or have significant, important minutes on an elite team like Kansas. Tyrel... you and your sister make all of us proud.

REHawk 9 years, 5 months ago

Perhaps someday Tyrel will return to KU to replace Andrea Hudy in sports training and rehab. He has no doubt benefited greatly from the opportunity to learn firsthand from a wizardress.

Ed Brown 9 years, 4 months ago

Isn't he majoring in sports performance training or something like that?

Tony Bandle 9 years, 5 months ago

"wizardess" I think, but REHawk you are right on!!

Have a friend in Indianapolis who is affliated with the NCAA. He indicated that Selby will be reviewed, eventually approved but may serve 4-6 game suspension. The Kantner case is much more complicated, so he felt that the NCAA was going to resolve Selby first.

He indicated as we all suspected that because Josh is attending classes, with his scholarship as well as working out with the team, this is a very good sign.

Frankly, I have no idea about the validity of his claims but I choose to believe good rumors versus bad rumors until it's proved otherwise!!

jaybate 9 years, 5 months ago

Hey,

Truly competitive athletes don't like getting beaten at anything. Not wind sprints. Not tiddly winks. Not anything. They way you earn respect in sports is beating people fairly and what ever aspects of a game you can beat them at. Running the floor and shooting the trey are two huge categories to be able to beat everyone on a team at. Reed is for real. Fact. He can fill a lane and get down the floor faster than anyone on the team, game or practice. Fact: He can shoot it deeper and way more accurately than anyone on the team. And now that he's a legitimate 195 without an ounce of fat, he can dish out the punishment rather than take it. He will play a lot. Frankly, springs, drop step and sliding are the only limits on his ceiling and he has found ways to get better and better and better at these. He's probably got the quickest hands on the team this season. He comfortably dribbles with left and right, something no other guard on the team has proven he can do so far. He's a threat to play the point. He's a threat to play the 2. He's most vulnerable at the 3, because of his limited springs. But you can bet he added an inch or two to his verticle this off season, also. Watch out for Reed. His problem will be if last season's shooting was above his sustainable average, or just the beginning of what he could shoot. If he can't pot the trey, as well, he will play less. Otherwise he plays more, probably a lot more.

REHawk 9 years, 4 months ago

Oakville, I stand corrected. WIZARDESS, she be! Thx

REHawk 9 years, 4 months ago

However, my spouse, a classically educated scholar, prefers wizardRess! I suppose it will have to be a toss-up. Wikipedia shows examples of both. I wonder which of the spellings Andrea would prefer....

jaybate 9 years, 4 months ago

REHawk,

I actually prefer Glinda, Tabitha, Wonder Woman, or good wichen, but wichen especially is not politically correct any more, so one has to speak in the code of goddess, wizardress, soft dominatrix, matriarch, gaia babe, and so on. :-)

But what ever, women that can bring the magic to what they do are hot, hot, hot!

Michael Pannacciulli 9 years, 4 months ago

love Reed. This keep is a beast and a leader the hawks need on and off the court. ever great team needs a Reed. I hope he gets significant mins and we see more of that sweet stroke and speed this year. he can come to nyc and work for me anyday if bball doens't work out.

REHawk 9 years, 4 months ago

jaybate

Andrea Hotty, Jayhawk Wizardress.

jaybate 9 years, 4 months ago

Andrea Hotty. I luv it! Best new nickname for someone in quite awhile!

Question: Now the Lew Perkins is past tense, is there anyone else on the hill that speaks Jersey? I have heard Coach Hotty has a pretty strong "boid choip in the poik in Joisey" accent.

Sam Constance 9 years, 4 months ago

From the article:

Added Calipari: "How about that? Five first-round picks on one team, and that dummy couldn't win a national title."

My thoughts exactly.

chalmers2wright 9 years, 4 months ago

It's amazing how people form their opinions after one or two years and don't let anything change that opinion. Reed was not a good defender his first couple years at KU. Last year I thought he was a solid defender and those who disagree are generally haters that only look for the times that Reeds gets burnt (even though every player on our team got burnt from time to time) to justify their own opinion. Because I am not a pessimist I actually saw the good things that Reed did last year rather than find all the bad things he does during a game and then b*tch about him not being the next Hinrich (I mean the nerve of this guy looking similar to Hinrich and having a similar game but not being as good as one of the the best Kansas guards ever, what a jerk!) He did a hell of a job on Pullen last year when he was on him throughout the 3 games and played all-around solid defense (and basketball) all last year. I don't know if he will have a break out year this year (we've just got soooooo much depth at the 1 and 2 that it would be tough for just about anyone to break out of this group) but I know he will contribute well and as always he will hit at least 4 or 5 huge threes over the course of the year. Haters keep on hating, Tyrel keep doing your thing.

KWufan 9 years, 4 months ago

Tyrel has done something that most players at the collegiate level of basketball never do. He has improved every single year he has been here. Great work, Tyrel, you deserve to be our leader and fan favorite. And thank you so much more for not heing another John Crider.

Scott Smetana 9 years, 4 months ago

I don't recall Tyrel getting burnt. He is Mr. Consistency, great shooter, defender, leader, etc. Why shouldn' t he start? I see him being the RussRob glue of this team. Either way, this team offensively rides on the shoulders of the Twins. I like our chances.

kerbyd 9 years, 4 months ago

I believe Tyrel is doing an internship in Physical Therapy. Not sure what his specific major is, though