Friday, October 1, 2010

KUsports.com staff’s Week 5 college football picks

The following are the Journal-World/6Sports staffers' picks for Week 5 of the college football season.

Week 5 games

Kansas at Baylor

Texas vs. Oklahoma

Georgia at Colorado

Texas Tech at Iowa State

Wisconsin at Michigan State

Notre Dame at Boston College

Off-the-wall question: Who is your favorite Canadian?

Kevin Romary

Baylor 28, Kansas 27

Oklahoma 28, Texas 17

Colorado 26, Georgia 20

Texas Tech 30, Iowa State 21

Michigan State 24, Wisconsin 23

Notre Dame 21, Boston College 16

Question: Elisha Cuthbert, of "Old School" fame.

Eric Sorrentino

Baylor 28, Kansas 24

Oklahoma 31, Texas 28

Georgia 35, Colorado 28

Iowa St. 28, Texas Tech 21

Michigan State 34, Wisconsin 31

Notre Dame 28, Boston College 21

Question: James Naismith. Oh yeah he's Canadian eh?

Jesse Newell

Kevin 18-6

Eric 18-6

Gary 17-7

Matt 16-8

Andrew 15-9

Jesse 15-9

Comments

John Myers 3 years, 10 months ago

Well I'd hope that bulletin board material wasn't provided by "our own," but you guys have done it. Go 'Hawks, let's put a beat-down on the Bears!!!

Michael Leiker 3 years, 10 months ago

That's rough...gotta say I'm a little more optimistic about this one. KS is due for a win @ BU

Randy Bombardier 3 years, 10 months ago

Ya know, we played a bad game, then a great game, then a bad game, then a good game. It is time for back to back good games. I say the Hawks win.

2008KUGrad 3 years, 10 months ago

I could not disagree more. You wait until Gill gets his recruits in. In two more years, we'll be back to a BCS bowl. Mark my word.

jmsuther 3 years, 10 months ago

Harsh picks by the ku sports staff. I feel like the team we have has a chance to really come together and compete at a high level. The staff is figuring out more about the team with each game, i say ku comes in and puts up big offensive numbers and wins the game in a shootout.

KCHawk81 3 years, 10 months ago

The fans were NOT happy with it. That's why the administration forced the coach that took us to this point to resign and hired a new coach to rebuild the shambles in which he had left the team.

Ryan Shelton 3 years, 10 months ago

Have Springer shadow Griffin. KU wins.

Dirk Medema 3 years, 10 months ago

Springer can shadow Griffin like a tall pine at the end of the day - it just gets farther and farther away.

That being said, Torbush, et al can come up with a scheme & corrections to allow the whole team to be competitive AND win.

Believe

tulsahawkfan 3 years, 10 months ago

Who picks the games you predict? If we're going non-conference how about same bama-fl and stanford-ore?

Jesse Newell 3 years, 10 months ago

I select the games each week. And I pick them by looking at what the closest spreads are in a given week. I don't think it's much fun to pick Alabama-Florida because everyone is going to pick Alabama (7-8.5 point favorites).

CatsEatBirds 3 years, 10 months ago

So surprised to see many picking TX over OU and BC over ND. Unless you're picking against the spread, those seem like dumb choices to me.

No one on the staff willing to pick the home team KU even after the team has shown progress and togetherness? WTF?

I root against KU and still think they'll win in Baylor. Go Birds and represent the end of the B12 North with pride. Be ready to put up a great fight in your true rivalry games down the road.

Dirk Medema 3 years, 10 months ago

Maybe you're not so bad after all - for a kitty cat anyway.

Matt Tait 3 years, 10 months ago

That's excellent!!! Great call.

IBRONNIEB 3 years, 10 months ago

Don't really have a good take on this team yet. But in no way do I put any of this on Turner Gill. You do not rebuild a crumbling program overnight. I may not agree with some of his ideas, but I am willing to give him a chance. All you people wanting him out, would you like to have your jobs judged as quickly. I see many positive things in his way of coaching. I liked M. Mangino, thought he was very important to this program. But what he used for motivation was wrong. And he lost his team last year. There was no excuse for 7 in a row. I look at recruits coming in, and the quality of the players we have, and I see very positive things ahead for KU. If in two years we are still struggling, to try to play 500 football. I will agree he needs to go. But until he has a chance to coach his own recruits, judging him is unfair. If Kansas wins at Baylor, everyone will change their tune again. I for one am willing to see what happens in the big picture, not week by week.

Lindsey Buscher 3 years, 10 months ago

Why are you picking the ND v BC game (both unranked turds) instead of Bama v Florida?

Lindsey Buscher 3 years, 10 months ago

Oh, and one other thing...OU is going to blow out UT...last week was not an aberration, UT really is that bad and OU can really run the ball.

OU - 44 UT - 24

jhawkrulz 3 years, 10 months ago

OU - 56 UT - 3

This is one of those games that they don't let off the gas pedal. This is about recruiting and tradition.

waywardJay 3 years, 10 months ago

I get why ND. There once was some mystique about ND, but they have a worse record than us, a higher paid head coach than us, more prestige than us.......

Personally, i think it's because someone wants to claim an Easy W.

Bama v. Florida SHOULD be 'Bama because without Tim Tebow's tears the FLorida Offense just don't run as smoothly.

As for Kansas Versus Baylor, Since when did we just bow down because a team has a mobile option Quarterback with a questionable Arm ? If those of us remember clearly the last team we lost to Baylor in Waco, we were up 35-3. We lost because Baylor's Coach could make halftime adjustments, and our Stalin was convinced we could just run the clock out on them. We lost 36-35.

Massive egos cost this team dearly 4 years ago. Not the players on the field. While I don't suspect this will be an easy win by any means, I think the Better coaching in our case will greatly improve the chance of more postiive outcome, per se.

JJHAWK 3 years, 10 months ago

You don't suppose the LJW staff will get upset if we play the game and try to win it?

Naw . . . ?

Dan Harris 3 years, 10 months ago

KU- 27 BU-24

OU-47 UT=28

Fav canuk-Shania Twain(would love to make her feel like a woman!!!)

waywardJay 3 years, 10 months ago

Naw, They write better work. ;)

troutsee 3 years, 10 months ago

Unfortunately, due to Pick's injury I don't think we will be playing with a complete playbook tomorrow, as Gill will not want to risk injury to Webb. Thus, the read option might be a little more predictable for the Baylor defense. I remain hopeful that we can pull out a win, but it will require winning the turnover battle, shoring up special teams, and containing Griffin.

I think OU will beat Texas. TT might have some problems with ISU at Ames. I think Stanford will beat Oregon and Notre Dame will beat BC. Georgia is down this year so CU has a chance but I think Georgia will win.

Chris Bruning 3 years, 10 months ago

kansas 17 baylor 16

texas 29 oklahoma 28

fav canadian: harland williams

waywardJay 3 years, 10 months ago

Personally i think we are better on Defense, but that's just me.

31-13 kansas

KUDayton 3 years, 10 months ago

It's clear that all the LJW staff are trying to be analysts, and not Jayhawk fans. Not one of you guys has KU winning against a lower tier Big 12 team?? Loyalty and optimism, you should try finding some!!!

KU 28 - Baylor 7

jaydee909 3 years, 10 months ago

Not one JW staff member to pick the Hawks. I did not know that Baylor is that good. And no, I don't think we are that bad. We are improving each day as our QB Webb gains experience and our players adjust to the new coaching staff. Torbush will come up with the scheme and the players will execute it to minimize Griffin's effectiveness. Gill will get his first road victory as the KU head man on Saturday.

CatsEatBirds 3 years, 10 months ago

Baylor is NOT the worst team in the conference this year. Unfortunately so far, ku is clearly the bottom feeder. CU and ISU have a long way to fall for ku to have any hope this season (of not being the worst in B12).