Tuesday, November 30, 2010

NFL reviewing argument between former KU football star Aqib Talib, game official

— The NFL is looking into a verbal confrontation between Tampa Bay cornerback Aqib Talib and an official who worked the Buccaneers’ game against the Baltimore Ravens.

Bucs coach Raheem Morris defended the player Monday, saying Talib did not do anything wrong during a heated exchange outside the team’s locker room following Sunday’s 17-10 loss in Baltimore. Talib was upset about a teammate being penalized for pass interference in the closing minutes of the first half.

Talib reportedly made an expletive-laced comment to an unidentified official about the call made by field judge Boris Cheek. The Tampa Tribune and St. Petersburg Times said the official responded by using an expletive of his own to describe how Talib played and that the player then threatened to punch him.

“We are looking into it,” NFL spokesman Randall Liu said.

The second-quarter pass-interference call against rookie Myron Lewis, who was defending the Ravens’ T.J. Houshmandzadeh, set up a TD that put Baltimore up 17-3.

Morris disagreed with the call and sought an explanation from Cheek before the second half began.

“I don’t really know what happened postgame, and I really didn’t talk to Aqib. I’m sure he did the same thing that everybody else did — talked about the call, disagreed with the official and moved on,” Morris said. “If they they had words, that’s between him and that official. I don’t get into that stuff.”

Talib did not talk to reporters after the game, nor was he available for comment Monday.

The third-year pro out of Kansas University leads the Bucs with six interceptions, despite missing the season opener after being suspended one game without pay for violating the NFL’s personal-conduct policy. He also was fined one additional game check stemming from Talib punching a cab driver in August 2009.

Morris disputed published reports that Talib had to be restrained from going after the official Sunday.

“He didn’t do anything wrong. He was just in conversations, so I’m not going to sit here and act like Aqib did anything wrong,” the coach said.

“I think you can misinterpret how he talks. His swearing is not necessarily the swearing that you guys would come across,” Morris added. “I don’t even know if he swore. I do know he wanted an expanation of the call.”

Comments

Scatterhawk 9 years, 6 months ago

No. Screw that.

He should be himself, and him jawing is part of who he is.

Besides, he was just following the lead of his coach.

Adam Evans 9 years, 6 months ago

Really? Okay then. I'll be myself and go punch the nearest cab driver. No, Talib has been out of line, and has ridden the fence since he got to the NFL. He needs to get it under control or he is going to risk ending his career. Players, despite their ability, will not get picked up if they are viewed as a cancer to a team, which Talib is on his way to becoming. Take Randy Moss. There was only one, just one, team that put in for waivers on him. One. No one, not one other team, wanted him. Talib doesn't want to become "that guy".

waywardJay 9 years, 6 months ago

It worked for Patrick Kane. Why not for Aqib ?

Tell me once or twice you haven't wanted to punch a cabbie.....

Jayhacker 9 years, 6 months ago

Arguing with and cursing at an official AFTER a game (as opposed to DURING the game, which could be attributed to "the heat of the moment") is a guaranteed path to failure for a player like Aqib, who already has some baggage. NFL officials are not robots; they talk to each other, and remember players who disrespect them or their peers, on or off the field. They can make Aqib's life miserable, so a suggestion to "be himself" probably isn't going to help him in this situation.

Dyrk Dugan 9 years, 6 months ago

at some point, you have to let it go. he should let the coach do the dirty work with the league, and the team itself, can elevate any call to the league office.

all that being said, Aqib is playing good football...making plays, and picks. he's a very good corner...and he's got a great future.

sounds like a lot of he said he said.... i'd hate to see him get in more trouble over something like this. this will be interesting to follow.

OCJHAWK 9 years, 6 months ago

I thought the refs go into hiding after the game to avoid the hotheads? I love Talib's game but he needs to watch him mouth.

waywardJay 9 years, 6 months ago

As A Raven's fan we know a few things about getting boned by bad officiating Aqib. Try getting a 15 yard penalty for roughing when you graze Tom Brady's leg in a critical late season game..... Or, Try watching your fellow teammate terrell suggs get taken out at the knee maliciously by a bad quarterback because He threw a horrible interception... then see the league not even fine him. Over the long haul these things tend to even themselves out. Unless, your the Raiders then you perpetually accumulate more bad karma than you can ever out live.

As An Aqib Fan,( this game was difficult for me... ) I like the fact you go so hard for your teammates, but the game was over. Josh Freeman was not going to beat the Baltimore defense. You guys gave it your all, and you guys have had a remarkable season, keep focusing towards improving, get yourself to the ProBowl before you start trying to Rodney Harrison the Officials.

DarthJayhawk 9 years, 6 months ago

I am fully in favor of NFL referees getting cold cocked. Just sayin.

waywardJay 9 years, 6 months ago

I'm sure there are quite a few head coaches who would smile at that one.

Pbbut 9 years, 6 months ago

I know all leagues have evaluations on game officials, but how often are they really fired, fined, or disciplined? These guys seem to have the ability to come back game after game without consequence regarding performance.
Pelini, Mangino, Talib, et. al. get fined, suspended, and reprimanded for actions taken regarding officials who have the potential of jeopardizing a $2M+ year job. If I thought a guy was incompetent and getting into my pocket for that much money, I'd be "upset" too. The coach gets fired, the official gets his flag laundered.

Kirk 9 years, 6 months ago

I like it, and I think little kids should behave this away too. Sports are all about all about being the best and showing up punks and getting in people's faces. If the rules don't feel right, that's when you take somebody out if you have to.

Coyotehawk 9 years, 6 months ago

Man, I didnt know there were so many KU fans that were psychiatrists. Or are you football coaches? Maybe fellow Pros.

You think Talib comes on here and abides by what you all say.

Oh wait, no, he doesnt. While you all are setting in your recliner in your living room telling a player how he/she should present themselves, Talib is in the pros making MILLIONS.

Get a F*cking life people. Aqib Talib isnt the first, nor will he be the last to ever crawl up an officials a$$.

Eric Schneider 9 years, 6 months ago

Okay coyotehawk, than how about his teamate, and consumate pro, Ronde Barber going on national TV and saying he needs to grow up and keep his mouth shut. With Goodell and commish, if Talib keeps it up, he'll be out of football.

But if it makes you feel better about yourself to bad mouth people you'll never have to deal with face to face, do what you got to do.

jayhawkintx73 9 years, 6 months ago

What really needs to happen is that officials need to be held accountable for making blatantly bad calls. I did not see this play but if it was a bad call, the official needs to be man enough to admit it. Sometimes they get a little arrogant and are protected too much. They have a job to and if they do their job poorly and it results in a change in the outcome of a game they need to be suspended, fined, or just completely fired if its a habit. If you screwed up at your job too many times, you'd get verbally reprimanded, suspended, and eventually fired.